Morning roundup: NHL hits back

The morning roundup is officially, entirely back from vacation. Rejoice!

Alex Ovechkin: reckless, both on the ice and in the hair salon. (Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Alex Ovechkin was suspended two games for a controversial hit -- a knee-on-knee collision with Tim Gleason -- that has him nursing a right knee injury and Coach Bruce Boudreau contemplating a sit-down with his star about some "pretty reckless" play.

Ovechkin was assessed a five-minute major penalty and was ejected in the first period for kneeing Gleason. Though both players went down hard, Gleason emerged without an injury. Ovechkin, though, had to be helped to the visitors' dressing room.
"I don't mean to go knee-to-knee on him," Ovechkin said before the suspension was announced. "I just go straight to take a body hit, but he turned so quick."
The fact that Ovechkin was permitted to lace up skates at all Tuesday backs up the winger's assertion that the injury is not serious, which is encouraging news for the injury-riddled Capitals.
"It's a lot better than I thought it would be," Boudreau said.

Click here to read the full story.

Also in today's Post, Boz thinks Ovechkin needs to slow down and realize he's a mere mortal like the rest of us (just better at hockey):

So, Ovechkin's knee will get better, just like the shoulder injury that sidelined him six games earlier this season. Are these just warning shots from Mother Nature? What's clear is, at 24, Ovie is no longer indestructible, even if he thinks he is. The time has come for him to evaluate how he will play the rest of his career.
We know his view. After being ejected just three games ago when he ran Patrick Kaleta face-first into the glass, Ovechkin said of his all-aggression, all-the-time style: "I can't do nothing about it. I just play my game. It's not going to change. It's me."

Click here to read the full column.

Some other odds and ends:

*Ovechkin's wallet takes a $99,000 hit -- big deal. And hey, it goes to charity. (The Washington Times)

*Why is everyone calling Ovechkin "reckless?" Conspiracy by IMG to market their new client! Also, Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon! And the earth is flat! (On Frozen Blog)

*Hockey Mom of the Century Tatyana Ovechkina says that young Gleason hooligan "should wear glasses when he's out on the ice!" Yikes. (Japers' Rink)

*Ovie being Ovie is a good thing, even if it means he'll continue to be -- dare I say it -- reckless. (Toronto Sun)

*The league shows it's willing to punish superstars. (Puck Daddy)

*Ovechkin is lucky for two reasons: He's only suspended two games, and he's only got a sore knee. (ESPN's Scott Burnside)

*Does Ovechkin play too rough? Barry Melrose has his say, but personally, I'm only interested in what Don Cherry thinks.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 2, 2009; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin suspended two games
Next: Ovechkin on the ice at practice

Comments

It is laughable how much criticism Ovi is getting when you compare it to the other types of transgressions (of a much worse nature) that are common in hockey.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | December 2, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

To piggy back on roccky's complaint about Cooke. Not only did he not receive a penalty or suspension for ending Donovan's season (possibly career they are saying too), followed up by a knee on knee to Erik Cole the very next night, and nothing.

The ONLY reason I am OK with Ovi getting a suspension is maybe non-Ovi fans will get pacified and he can just move on. I don't think he will change his game, nor should he. He is an exciting hockey player. Joe B said that it looked like the Beatles (famous rock n roll band for you really young people) were staying in Ovi's hotel in Montreal. Joe B even said people were chanting his name on the street

Finally, I don't agree with it, but maybe, just maybe, the NHL has chosen to take this opportunity to send a message to the rest of the league by suspending one of the biggest names in the league. There have been a lot of superstars knocked out of line-ups by questionable hits this season. For the record, I believe Ovi's calls were subjective ones that could have gone either way. I DO NOT think Ovi is a dirty player. Just a player with dirty and sick skills.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 2, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey Ovi! Give me a call - since you're free Thursday night I'll buy you a beer.

Posted by: uncatim | December 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

That little preface comment about the Boz article reminded me of the old (figuratively) SNL sketch about the Blue Oyster Cult ("I Need More Cowbell"), where Christopher Walkin says "I put on my pants the same as you, the only difference is I make gold records"

Funny stuff, show is pretty bad now, not that it was all that good after Farley, Meyers and Sandler

Posted by: superpaqman | December 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

SNL has been hit or miss - mostly miss - since Belushi died.

Posted by: uncatim | December 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey Ovi! Give me a call - since you're free Thursday night I'll buy you a beer.

Posted by: uncatim | December 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Make that nachos & Coke and he just may take you up on it.

Posted by: CapsChick | December 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

mmmm nachos

Posted by: superpaqman | December 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"young Gleason hooligan"? This of course is not what Tatyana called Gleason, but inserting those words after "... Tatyana Ovechkina says ... " does make it seem as if she actually said it even if they are outside the quotation marks.

That kind of writing is on the edge of slimy journalism.

Posted by: hock1 | December 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

This is the kind of crap being spread on the TSN boards: "If you took away Ovie's skill and his status in the NHL and just watched him skate around and throw body-checks he would be a Russian version of Patrick Kaleta. No one likes Kaleta they say he is a pest that hits to hurt....his checks are exactly like Ovie's just the league and the fans look the other way bceause Ovie is a superstar. Since day one in the NHL every single check AO has delivered could be flagged for Charging or Boarding."

"If you took away Ovie's skill and his status in the NHL and just watched him skate around and throw body-checks he would be a Russian version of Patrick Kaleta." WHAT THE HECK? The only reason he has the status in the NHL he does have is because of this skill. If you take any player's skill away they become expendable. I can't believe some dislike Ovi this bad. Um, dah, if you take Crosby's skill away, he wouldn't be a good hockey player, dah.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon!

ROFL.

IMG also advised Maria Sharapova to talk to refs à la Serena Williams to be more marketable.

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, why on Earth are you interested in what Don Cherry thinks? That's like being interested in what Rush Limbaugh thinks about health care reform.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | December 2, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Mamma Ovechkin rocks! :)

I've been waiting for an inspiration for my new screen name. I'm thinking this could be it. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 2, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Boswell doesn't know **** about hockey. Moreover, he doesn't care about it and only writes about it when the editors assign a columnist to cover a hockey topic too big to ignore. I'm pretty sure his last hockey column was for the playoffs last year...

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse