Morning roundup: Ovechkin eyes his return

Morning roundup

Alex Ovechkin practiced for the second time yesterday, taking shots, stickhandling and skating hard for about a half hour. He's no longer in pain and may return to games within the next week.

"I wish it was going to be tomorrow," said Ovechkin, who suffered a strain near his left shoulder eight days ago. "I need to make sure I'm good and my body feels good. Probably a week. We'll see."
Ovechkin also skated on Thursday but quickly abandoned his stick after aggravating the strain. He didn't skate the next three days.
But the two-time MVP had no such issues Monday.
"This is progress, I think, [and] I'm kind of happy about it," said Ovechkin, who has missed the past three games, his longest stretch of inactivity since joining the NHL in 2005. "It was no pain. It was easy shots, not hard. I don't want to rush my body to take some real hard slap shot or wrist shot."

And now for some excellent morning links:

The Injured Caps Club:

QOTD from Ovechkin: "I love you Mike, I love you girls. Boys, I like you, but not love you."

* Nylander headed on out...somewhere. (Examiner)

* Mathieu Perrault is a popular kid, Alexander Semin eats lunch by himself. (Japers' Rink)

* Hockey Hall of Fame roundup (Just Posted)

* This is a few days old, but... Brian Leetch thinks Mike Green could be the next 100-point defenseman:

"Now that we're seeing guys like Green get opportunities, it's encouraging," Leetch said. "Washington, with Ovechkin, [Alexander] Semin and the guys they have, they want Green to be a part of the offence."

* Sorry, Leafs; you've got no say on the Coyotes moving to Ontario. Thanks for playing! (The Hockey News)

* Boffo!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ted's Take)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 10, 2009; 9:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee encouraged by Ovechkin's improvement
Next: Practice updates

Comments

Come on, Is Michael with the Dynamo or not?????? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 10, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Repost:

I'm annoyed that everyone thinks a defensive callup that's been held back due to the cap is going to be the answer and everything will be great on D. It's just plain silly to think that Alzner or Carlson is going to come up and save the day. I'd love it if that happened, but we need an experienced, disciplined defenseman.

That being said, I'm of the mind that we could do it with our current team due to the couple of solid, disciplined games I've seen. I'm still puzzled as to why this discipline can't be repeated on a regular basis.

Posted by: snakegriffin | November 10, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Repost: Not in response to snakegriffin.

I just find it mind boggling that there are Caps fans that continue to say that we have a D corps that wouldn't crack the top 4 on other NHL teams (some say MAYBE Green), and that we have forwards in our top 6 that wouldn't be top 6 on other teams. I have to ask then, if all of that is true, how is the HE double hockey sticks did the Caps post the 2nd best record in the Conference last season and sit at #2 in the Conference this season?

The answer...you skeptics are full of CRAP. Just enjoy the season OK. As long as the team plays well enough to keep acculating points I would be happy with GMGM sitting still with the new found Cap space until the trade deadline, or someone he's had his eye that can help push the Caps over the top becomes available.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Repost: BTW sinkingcaps. By the way every team needs your Matt Bradleys and Quintan Langs. They serve their purpose for very little money in relative terms. Case and point, Maxime Talbot. Never scored more than 13 goals in any regular season in the NHL. However, he shows up, and shows up big in the playoffs. Scored the goals for Pittsburgh in Game 7 vs the Red Wings to win the Cup. The Wings have always had their Drapers and McCarthy types that stepped up in the playoffs. When those two were in their prime they were major contributors to the championships. Not normally on the scoresheets but with great momentum changing shifts.

Game 5 vs the Rangers last season. Who got our scoring stated? None other than Matt Bradley.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Also, for the most part I usually can accept Japers Rink up and down arrows for the week. However, they gave Steckel a down arrow because he still hasn't scored. IMO the kid is playing great hockey right now. Is he snake bitten, sure, has it adversely effected his play, not in the least. His steal of the puck, followed by a curl and drag, followed by a pass to Knuble and Knuble was robbed, was probably one of the sweetest moves by the Caps this past week. Steckel will finally score this week, but that is only because he continues to work his butt off.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"I love you Mike, I love you girls. Boys, I like you, but not love you." – Oveshkin

Another gem for his ever increasing quote repertoire.
I love this guy… there, I said it.

Posted by: guer_j | November 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

What did Gordo say at the end of the video? Go Caps?

Posted by: guer_j | November 10, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Michael Nylander
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Born October 3, 1972 (1972-10-03) (age 37),
Stockholm, SWE
Height
Weight 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)
Position Center
Shoots Left
Pro career 1991 – present

Michael Nylander (second row, far right) faces off against the Philadelphia Flyers on 4 January 2007Michael Nylander (born October 3, 1972) is a Swedish professional ice hockey centre signed with the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League (NHL). He is currently playing on loan with HC Dynamo Minsk of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL).

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 10, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Alzner come up now because the Caps don't need saving (talk to 'Canes fans about). It would be a good time for him to come up get and get some experience without excessive expectations on him. I'm with fanhock, enjoy the season, so far it is going pretty well.

Posted by: ds_kelly | November 10, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin, I agree. Particularly with Alzner, there is no indication that he can outplay any of our 8 D. He did not do so in camp and I have not heard any indication he is doing so in Hershey. I have not seen Carlson, but he's young and I trust management to know how best to develop him and/or manage the waiver rules.

I am glad we have solid prospects for our future defensive corps.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 10, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I know its not hockey related, but happy birthday Marines.

Posted by: superpaqman | November 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Repost from this morning:

Looks like a deal is finally done everyone.

"Michael Nylander (born October 3, 1972) is a Swedish professional ice hockey centre signed with the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League (NHL). He is currently playing on loan with HC Dynamo Minsk of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)."

That is the now the opening paragraph in for Michael Nylander's wikipedia URL.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So, I just asked the Magic 8 Ball on my phone if Nylander will agree to move on...it's answer was "Signs point to yes"! So I am feeling rather good now, I mean when is a Magic 8 Ball ever wrong?

I liked the video from Mike's page, it reminds me how young those guys really are. But, I guess this is coming from someone who just asked a Magic 8 Ball application a question!

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: NatyBG | November 10, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Just a note... Wikipedia can be edited by anyone (including you or me), I wouldn't get your news from there unless it's cited and you've checked the source.

Posted by: DCTexan90 | November 10, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Fanohock nailed it perfectly...

Posted by: jeets | November 10, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

no Nylander on the official dynamo minsk website roster.

Anyone speak russian? If so, please check the russian papers.

Posted by: brian58 | November 10, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Nylander's salary coming off the Caps salary Cap is kind of big news. If wikipedia is right, and this is a done deal, McPhee should have held a morning press conference. I respect the injury details being close hold so I am totally fine with a lower or upper body announcement. Of course if wikipedia jumped the gun and it is not completely done I apologize to GMGM.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

McPhee is in Toronto for the GM meetings and will be speaking to local reporters by phone at some point today. My guess is around lunch time.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

brian58: I saw that too, but also, there is a huge European tournament being held right now so the KHL is kind of down right now.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"... Alexander Semin eats lunch by himself. (Japers' Rink)"

Really? Is that something you are reporting first hand? - I clicked on your Japer''s Rink link and I didn't see where it was mentioned - or are you jumping on the bandwagon with the brilliant analyst of this blog to kick Semin down?

Posted by: hock1 | November 10, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2009 10:28 AM

McPhee knows where he's eating lunch but he isn't telling anyone.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 10, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Also...did anyone see Crosby play goalie the other night?

It looked like the puck hit him in the crotch. Which lead me to say to my husband, "I bet it didn't even hurt him". To which my husband replied, "because he is flat in the front like Ken".

It is amazing the intellectual conversations that come out of watching NHL on the Fly.

Posted by: NatyBG | November 10, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

tominfl: If I was GMGM I would eat at Gretzky's. Now I made this whole Nylander thing about me. I completely forgot GMGM was on the road. I will simply wait for the announcement without whining anymore.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Everyone can speculate on Alzner and Carlson all they want - can't call them up unless there is salary cap space, which there isn't.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Dude you people are internet newbs. Wikipedia is the LAST place you want to get information from. They don't care about where the information comes from, just that it came from somewhere.

The story goes: If you walk up to a wiki editor and show them a bucket, they touch the bucket, see there is a bucket there. Then you write an article about said bucket, they will blank it because the bucket has no source.

Plus you dont need to register. hence why dan snyder's page gets so messed up so often.

Posted by: trunkenmath | November 10, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Wiki is all fixed now. No confirmed news reports on Nylander so I fixed it.
@trunkenmath: you do need to register to edit things.

Posted by: whiteltng | November 10, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Actually Crosby is flat in the front like Barbie.

Posted by: sca187 | November 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with Steckel's down rating on Japers' Rink. Japers says that Steckel has been on the ice for three goals during a penalty kill during the past week. Well, that would be because Steckel is on every minute of the penalty kill, and I find that he does a great job on the PK. Of course Steckel will be on the ice for some goals while he is on the PK -- the opposition gets paid, too. His job during faceoffs is remarkable. He's so good at faceoffs that late in the game, Boudreau will often have him take the draws in the defensive zone with Ovechkin and Semin alongside (when Ovechkin is healthy, of course). Then once Steckel wins the faceoff and the puck is cleared, Backstrom will take his spot. Steckel is the most valuable player on the team that no one outside of DC has ever heard of.

Posted by: blindskateluke | November 10, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse