Morning roundup: Ovechkin not ready to return

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Morning Roundup

Alex Ovechkin skated at practice yesterday (video here), but he said an injury near his left shoulder will likely keep him out of back-to-back games against the Florida Panthers.

"It's still a little sore," Ovechkin said of his shoulder. "I feel a little bit better, but there is still a little bit [of] pain. From last night to today, I feel much better.

"I don't want to disturb my injury," he added. "Without my stick, it's better."

Click here to read the rest of the story, which delves deeper into the Caps' penalty woes.

Tonight's matchup:

Capitals (8-3-4)
Panthers (5-7-1)
BankAtlantic Center, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet +
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

Some other odds and ends:

Something a little bit different: The Washington Post Magazine asked Tarik to dissect No. 8's locker at KCI, from his $500-a-pair skates to his "No. 32" shoulder pads. The feature will appear in this Sunday's issue, but you can check it out here now.

* Ovechkin skates, but Caps focus on mistakes. (Washington Times)

* Farewell to a fan among fans. (On Frozen Blog)

* Pray for Ovie? (NBC Washington)

* Boudreau and Ovechkin on his return to the ice:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 6, 2009; 5:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Ovechkin back on the ice
Next: Ovechkin update: No better, no worse

Comments

wow - my first ever first post!!!!!!!

Ovie - save it for the Stanley Cup run

Australian Cap Fan

Posted by: ozcapfan | November 6, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

For news to make Caps fan just a little better about our boys.

1) Malkin is STILL not able to skate. They want him to rest.

2) Even with being out, Malkin is STILL ahead of Alex Semin in penalty minutes. (Yes, all of them were from minor penalties, 4 penalties in one game once.) For that matter, Crosby is also WAY ahead of Semin in penalty minutes and took one last night.

3) And, best of all, Pittsburgh had a 2-1 lead against the LA Kings and LOST 4-1. The Pens had Capsitis! Woo Hoo, Kings. Hope the Pens get Capsitis in the playoffs this year and get dumped and we see a DIFFERENT team representing the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup finals.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...what happened to the red pads he was wearing?

Posted by: keeef | November 6, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Re: #1
Yeah, but the Pens have proven they can win without Malkin. ;)

Posted by: keeef | November 6, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Also Capsfan75, 2-1 lead for Pens turned in to 5-2 loss on a big 3rd period for the Kings.

Kings are off to a good start on their season.

Posted by: _Mark | November 6, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Any scouting reports on the Panthers? Record doesn't look intimidating, but I'm not going to place any bets on any team at the moment! Does anyone know which goalie will be in the net for Florida?

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 6, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, that article about Ovi's locker has a picture, there is nothing in the locker to the left of his... Wonder when the picture was taken??

Sorry if this start the dead horse beatings... Just thought it funny that it is empty.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 6, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

@hbcapsfan - Most likely, it's a posed shot.

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

The locker next to Ovie's is Nylander's.

Posted by: koalatek | November 6, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Oops, still early, I guess you were sarcastic as opposed to actually wondering.

Posted by: koalatek | November 6, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

If you remember, last time we discussed this, Ovie's equipment was being washed in the toilet by Semin and Backstrom, under orders from Boudreau, to prevent spread of swine flu.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 6, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I know it is posed, but still funny that the left Nylander's locker empty, yet Backs has pads in it.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 6, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Also, when it was taken might have something to do with it. I mean, it could have been shot while Nylander was on his conditioning stint... :-p

Jeez, we MUST be bored. Conspiracy theories before breakfast? LOL!

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

ovie has a $10K cell phone? they make $10K cell phones? wow, i got sweaty laying out $200 for an iphone. wonder how many minutes it comes with....

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 6, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 6, 2009 8:43 AM

13 Mil a year, more than he will ever need!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Ovi's phone has a universal translator built in that translates everything to russian.

Posted by: ds_kelly | November 6, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Nice tidbit article on OV's equipment. However, you referenced that he chose wax laces and that's why they are yellow. In fact, you can get wax skate laces in many colors.

You should have asked him why he specifically chose yellow.

Posted by: puckman | November 6, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Typo in the blog entry: Tonight's game is at 7:30, not 7:00.

Posted by: 1995hoo | November 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Yellow laces are a European thing. Graf skates (a German make) uses yellow laces by default.

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Tarik -

If he paid $10,000 for his Nokia Verta, he got ripped off bad. He could have gotten one on line for $225!

Posted by: puckman | November 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

You should have asked him why he specifically chose yellow.

Posted by: puckman | November 6, 2009 9:00

Ok. that was a bit creepy. Tarik, what were you thinking NOT asking?! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG puckman wants to know!

Posted by: MNMNT | November 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Am I wrong to be totally optimistic about tonight's game and the Caps' chances for playing a solid 60 minutes? I thought that they played 51 minutes of solid defense again NJ---dare I hope that they "get it done" tonight?

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 6, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Tarik is, once again, poorly informed...wax laces and price of cell phone. It's not the price of his cell phone that is $10,000; it's the price of some of the services he has on it, including his international valet service. Heck, I am not even sure that his Mercedes is black because Ovie prefers white cars. I know he owns at least one white Mercedes and he had a lso a white large SUV (can't remember if it was an Escalade or something else but I remember he was driving it when he lived with the Mcphees during his first year with the Caps.

Posted by: atybat | November 6, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's a satellite phone? I think they are way more expensive than a standard cell phone.

Posted by: Unleash_The_Caps | November 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Ovie's newest sports car is a limited edition which is called Mercedes "black". That's the name of it and also its color - I've seen it and although it's probably very fast, I don't think it's particularly attractive.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

OH NO Tarik knows nothing!! OH NO why does Ovie wear yellow laces, probably because he doesnt wear white after Labor Day?? OH NO why didnt Tarik ask him...doesn't he know we crave minutia??? OH NO I MUST KNOW... OH NO he got ripped off on his cell phone...OH NO $10K to Ovie is like...chicken feed...OH NO does he drive a white Mercedes or a black one?? OH NO he probably has more than one car....OH NO we must know every detail because it is critical!!! OH NO hate off days because there is no one to blame for the game...OH NO...

Posted by: ChickenLittleCapsFan | November 6, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I've seen Ovi's black mercedes after a game, I assure you he does own that car. Whether or not that is the keys to that car idk.

500 a pair of skates doesn't seem that bad. Even as a kid playing both roller and ice hockey I would pay 150-250 or 200-350 for a pair of skates respectively. Now I wouldn't replace them every month or so, but the ones that still fit me I wore for at least 2 seasons and are in pretty good condition.

Posted by: breaklance | November 6, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

the sky is falling the sky is falling! hahha

Posted by: MNMNT | November 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I talked to Ovi yesterday and asked him about his yellow laces. He says when he pees in between periods sometimes it gets on his skates and white laces show it too much.

Washington Post, hire me!

Posted by: MNMNT | November 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

its a Nokia Vertu... With a "u" at the end, not an "a"

It goes for about 8,500, depending on the trim.

Posted by: griz0615 | November 6, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Dino Ciccarelli used to be the only player in the early 90s w/yellow laces. I have the hockey card sets and always wondered why he picked yellow. Then Ovie came into the league w/yellow, and I think Feds also had yellow last year.

I am curious about it...

ChickenLittleCapsFan: I might just go to Chick-Fil-A and have a chicken sandwich at lunch! OH NO to you!

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

We care about Ovechkin's skate laces because WHY, again?

For all of me, he could wear bright pink skates with pink and purple puffs and fluorescent purple laces with green POLKA-DOTS for all I care, as long as he scores goals!

Now. On to more important things:

We're playing a game tonight, right?

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Let's see... the Panthers are without:

* David Booth (concussion)
* Dominic Moore (nasal surgery)
* Radek Dvorak (left knee)

Discuss.

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Ovi does drive a black mercedes

Posted by: _stevo | November 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

For Howard County FiOS customers:

The game tonight is on CSN+.

I spent a long time on the phone with Verizon on Wednesday and eventually got a chance to speak to someone who actually knew what he was talking about (lol).

He confirmed that Howard County FiOS doesn't carry CSN+.

I pointed out that we got it last season on channel 1. When they shuffled channel assignments recently, channels 1-7 simply went away and everything there was reassigned except channel 1.

Bottom line is that CSN+ is not now available on FiOS in Howard and he saw nothing in their programming planning that would add it. He said the planning goes out "several months."

He was very definitive.

We're hosed.

Posted by: grackle5 | November 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

IRTR - are we discussing because you're getting a little verchlempt?(sorry I don't have the spelling down, I'm totally going hooked on phonics for this).

Posted by: superpaqman | November 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@ IRTR: I agree with you on the skates. Bright pink skates with pink and purple puffs and fluorescent purple laces with green polk-dots served Sidney Crosby very well during his youth. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It was great to see my Kings beat the (slightly wounded) Penguins. If there's a Cap-Kings final (unlikely, I know), I will be super conflicted.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 6, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

RE; yellow laces.

Didn't Maltsev use yellow laces? Seems like the most legitimate reason to me.

RE; KINGS BABY!
4 goals in the 3rd for a glorious comeback against the Penguins...couldn't ask for anything better. The Kings/Caps connection lives on through us! Hopefully Kopitar stays on course and Bernier/Quick can hold it together.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 6, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Not verklempt, just tired of the constant kvetching about sillystuffs. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Oy vay.

Posted by: uncatim | November 6, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

MNMNT -
The WaPo does have a job for you and the Mr. Bill wannabe (lil'chicken), contact them! They need you to clean the bathrooms for them. Oh that's right, you don't have a car. No problem, your mom can drive you down to the Metro to get into the city.

IRTR -
If Tarik's going to report a story on OV's equipment, he should make sure the "details" are correct for their readers. I don't care what the color of his laces are but the reason sure isn't that wax laces only come in yellow.
BTW OV > Booth, Moore & Dvorak combined, Unfortunately, Caps will struggle again tonight. FLA has a 3 game winning streak.

griz0615 -
Thanks for the correction. My bad on the details. More info on the Vertu for those who "want" to know. You can get one at Tourneau at the Fashion Centre in Pentagon City

Posted by: puckman | November 6, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Panthers are a young team and work extremely hard. They just do not give up. If Caps play like they have been playing recently, they don't have a chance. I hope I am wrong. I liked Panthers last season and have been following them this season. They are fun to watch.

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | November 6, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I am almost positive that Russkis love the yellow laces because of the great Maltsev. And I would not doubt at all that Maltsev only wore them because he rocked Grafs, as IRTR said.

When waxed laces first came around, they were almost exclusively yellow. While white laces usually meant non-waxed laces. Now you can get whatever you want, but the stereotype that yellow= waxed and white= non-waxed is sort of still there.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | November 6, 2009 11:36 AM |

Really?

Team looked dead every time I watched them this year.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 6, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

have only watched the Panthers once, they were very good that game, fast getting to pucks and on their breakout. As I say, only one game, but if we don't work harder than the cats, we're toast

Posted by: billd2 | November 6, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, obviously. If the Caps don't work harder, than they will lose. I'm not saying this is a given or anything, just that the Panthers have not really impressed me in the limited time I've seen them work. As opposed to say, how Atlanta impressed me at the start of the season.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 6, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

puckman
The tabloids section aka stalker section is at every checkout section at the super market. Maybe you should buy every single magazine and figure out why Ovi's laces are yellow.

Only noobs would directly wish a reporter:
"You should have asked him why he specifically chose yellow."

Who cares? Ovi gives enough entertaining bits and you are demanding Tarik that he should have asked why his laces are yellow of all the things to ask him?

What's next are you goign to ask if Ovi uses Aqua Fresh because it has three colors over colgate or crest? and ask him why too right?

You are one creepy dude.

Posted by: MNMNT | November 6, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse