Morning roundup: Steckel still waiting to score

Working through the post-Thanksgiving turkey coma to bring you some light reading material...

(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

David Steckel's last goal came nearly seven months ago, and while the Caps forward is excelling at the other end of the rink, the pressure is mounting for him to get on the scoring sheet:

"It's frustrating, especially when guys are getting called up [from the minor leagues] and scoring in front of you," he said. "It's not for a lack of effort of shooting pucks on net. It's just a bounce here or there."
Steckel's next chance to end the longest drought of his career comes Monday at RBC Center, where the NHL-worst Carolina Hurricanes play host to the Capitals, who are tied with the Penguins atop the Eastern Conference standings.

Click here to read the full story.

Tonight's matchup:

Washington Capitals (15-5-6)
Carolina Hurricanes (5-16-5)
RBC Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

* Caps @ 'Canes preview. (Washingtoncaps.com)

*Again, from NHL.com.

*Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby have "made hockey cool again." (Puck Daddy)

*Angry Caps fan fail. (Ted's Take)

*On Frozen Blog (and Tarik) in Montreal. (On Frozen Blog)

*Eric Fehr goes to the net. (Japers' Rink)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 30, 2009; 10:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 4, Canadiens 3 (SO)
Next: Theodore appears set to start in Carolina

Comments

Keep up the good work Stecks, whether it's winning faceoffs, killing penalties, or scoring. Go 39 and go Caps!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | November 30, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry Stecks they will come.

Amen to that Ted.

And did you all see the picture of "Goat" on the front page of the ESPN NHL page?

Posted by: pkendrick | November 30, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, can you give us some assurance that people at the WP are trying to get some info on the Nylander situation - what's going on, what each side's options are, salary cap consequences, etc? All we are seeing is the occasional question to GMGM, asking if there is any news. Certainly there are others in the Caps front office, Nyls' agent, people familiar with the Russian league, other NHL team officials, maybe Gus, etc., who could be contacted.

Posted by: zmega | November 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I was annotating the Caps' wins over the weekend on my Capitals season schedule on my desk after the long holiday and noted that another winning month has passed. From what I can tell, that's 14 consecutive months the team has had a winning record. The last time it didn't happen was November of 2007.

The team is shaping up...

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, I don't know why I occasionally click on your link to Ted's Take, because his posts irritate me so much. The concept of taking the high road is truly a foreign concept to this man. Accepting e-mails from fans means you have to take the bad with the good, and the stupid with the rational. If he doesn't like some of the e-mails, I'd suggest discontinuing that e-mail account instead of reacting in typical Ted defensive posture, every single time.

Ted continues to disprove his own assertion that "snark is dead." Of course, it's his blog so he can write whatever he wants. I just have to remember to resist the urge to click on the link.

Posted by: CapsChick | November 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

This is unrelated to the Steckel notes or the comments above, but I thought I'd point out that a picture of Goat made the top of the NHL page at ESPN.com. I was pleasantly surprised to see the familiar face when surfing this morning.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Caps make a statement tonight. Score first BUT keep play in their zone. Wear them out in the first two periods so that they have nothing left for the third. And clamp down hard on them the third. Finally provide cover and backup for Ovi and keep passes short and quick so that he can get a hat trick tonight. That's all I want for Christmas--again and again and again.

Truly just be strong, disciplined, and seize the opportunity to make a statement. We are the Caps! We are a force to be reckoned with.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 30, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

By their zone I mean the offensive zone of course.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 30, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Fun link thanks

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 30, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Accepting e-mails from fans means you have to take the bad with the good, and the stupid with the rational."

--Taking it is one thing, having to listen to the same whiny BS day after day has got to be frustrating. It's so typical of a bandwagon Caps "fan" to send an email complaining when the game isn't over. It's the same kind of slop that real Caps fans have to put up with in chat rooms, message boards, at the games, etc. You can't even talk hockey without having people whine and cry because the Caps aren't undefeated and beating every team 12-0 every night.

"Fans" like that need to go check out some other places, like Rangers boards or Flyers boards...teams who made big offseason splashes and are mediocre. Or the plenty of other teams who really stink. Be grateful we have a pretty good thing going here.

Posted by: southside721 | November 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@ CapsChick: No offense, but I get the feeling you're not a mom or a pet-owner. I see Mr. Leonsis as a proud owner, and somewhat of a parental figure when he considers the bull-caca some "fans" have to say about the Capitals and the players...over and over and over.

The guy is human and for you to think that he ought to read that sh*t ad nauseum and not have a normal reaction to some of it, seems rather hokey. If I were in the guy's shoes and people who pass themselves off as fans was slinging poop the way they do about his players, yeah, I'd get defensive and may want to sling poop in their direction too.

Take your own advice as well. If you don't like the majority of Ted's postings/rantings, don't click on it. Take the good with the bad, like you said.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Im going to disagree with Ted's post...he should know that he will get a large percentage of emails that are negative...

Why give it so much press? He always markets them more then the positives...

IGNORE IT TED, and I dont really want to hear about the emails anymore...delete them and move on.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

southside721 - Thank you. Very well put and hopefully a few will get the point.

Posted by: gonchpup | November 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The season is 82 games. No team, ever wins them all nor does any team win every game in a cake walk. Ted has a right to vent. Actually, considering the fact no other owner in town is as vocal and available makes me respect him more.

This town loves to whine about anything (and I've lived here my whole life and catch myself doing it win or lose). Its the culture of Washington Sports. And the fact that some fans are whining about the Caps as they win signifies a seismic shift that some of you may be missing out on...
The Skins are not getting as much attention and the Caps are generating more buzz!

Alleluia! Holy S***! Where's the tylenol?

Posted by: jmurray019 | November 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree with South and Left-- Ted has a case of Papa Bear which I think he has earned. I'm a major Mama Bear at our house so I do recognize the protective instinct. I don't get too worked up over what Ted writes but he is correct in let the game end before firing off an angry email. Our Caps can almost never be counted out in any game. Happy that it was Fehr who saved the game. Superhero status should be conferred throughout the lineup!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Great "Christmas Vacation" reference jmurray....

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

It is amusing to read bloggers complaint about other teams fans and their obnoxious antics, I wonder if they would ever realize that they are basically talking about mirror-images of themselves.

Posted by: hock1 | November 30, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

i don't think i could ever own a business. the customer is NOT always right. i'd tell the ones acting like *ssh*l*s to take their business elsewhere. if people want to whine/complain about something really important - they should contact their congressman.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Goat to me is like...Bob Dylan is to my cousins. You scream when Goat prompts you to scream. No questions asked. Go, Goat!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Might be worth putting Steckel on the top three for the next shootout. Could be a way for him to get the puck in the net and get some confidence.

Posted by: cfrazier91 | November 30, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Goat?

Why is this guy named "Goat"?

... and who will be in goal? Will BB rolling a dice, throwing a coin, or will he stay with the "hot hand" ...

GO CAPS