Morning roundup: Poti makes an impact on offense

(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Morning roundup

He's not exactly in the Rocket Richard Trophy race, but defenseman Tom Poti has shown he's capable of putting up some numbers on offense recently:

Poti posted a three-point night Saturday in Atlanta, scoring his first regular season goal in 14 months and notching a pair of assists to help the Capitals to an 8-1 win. That outburst extended his point streak to five games, a span in which he has racked up seven points -- equal to his point total in the previous 31 games this season.
Poti can match his career-best point streak Tuesday against Tampa Bay at St. Pete Times Forum. The Capitals, meanwhile, will be looking to beat the struggling Lightning for the 13th straight time and win their fourth game in a row overall. | Full story ยป

Tonight's matchup:

Washington Capitals (27-11-6)
Tampa Bay Lightning (17-17-10)
St. Pete Times Forum, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet +
Radio: 1500 AM

*Previewing Caps-Bolts (Washingtoncaps.com)

*The Caps have a "rangy, gritty and determined nucleus." Well, that's a new one. (SI via Kukla's)

*The longest Washington Post chat in history(?), conducted by Mike Wise, clocked in at a solid 3.5 hours. After a few readers and listeners questioned his (playful) jab at hockey, he's promised us a full hour of puck talk to make up for it:

"Tomorrow on the Mike Wise Show, it's all Ovie, all the time. Promise. Okay, for at least an hour."

Listen in here from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

*NHL power rankings from various media outlets: TSN has the Caps down from No. 4 to No. 8, ESPN takes them up from eighth to sixth, The Hockey News has them climbing all the way from No. 8 to second, USA Today has them at No. 5, down one from last week, steady at No. 5 in the Globe and Mail... and now you see why objective lists are pure silliness. (Of course, we love 'em anyway.)

*All about Caps play-by-play man Steve Kolbe. (Press Box)

*Timeline of goalie masks. (Rock the Red)

*Excerpt from Scott Burnside's chat on ESPN.com:

Ryan (Ashburn,VA): Scott, since Varlamov has been out, the Caps have been giving Neuvirth a lot of work. I know they won't move him until Varlamov is back from his injury, but what does his stock look like right now? Would teams be interested and would the Caps trade him?
Scott Burnside: Ryan; Further to the previous question I happened to see Neuvirth in Atlanta on Saturday and he was terrific. Big dilemma, I think, for GM George McPhee given what is a pretty low confidence factor in Jose Theodore. Do you go into the playoffs with two 21 year olds no matter how talented or do you dispose of Theodore and trade for veteran help like Martin Biron or Marty Turco? As for dealing Neuvirth I wouldn't think that would happen until Varlamov proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he's the real deal.

*Finally, a non-Caps story that might still be of interest: The Post's Preston Williams writes that despite the growth of prep hockey in Washington, top young players still seem to find more success and better competition by hitting the road.

More to come later from the morning skate at St. Pete Times Forum.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 12, 2010; 5:38 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Erskine 'questionable' and other notes
Next: Boudreau on Schultz: 'He's playing the best he's played in his career'

Comments

Can't believe I'm up this early... ugh. BUT by noon, I'll be in Florida, and ready to watch both games, rockin' my whites and bouncin' off the walls.

LET'S GO, CAPS!!!
LET'S GO, CAPS!!!
LET'S GO, CAPS!!!
LET'S GO, CAPS!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 12, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Stop talking about trading Neuvirth, PERIOD.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 12, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Stop talking about trading Neuvirth, PERIOD.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 12, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow... I can't believe people have actually been discussing that!

On the same topic, I find it endlessly amusing that Poti has received tons of praise after all the crap he has gotten on these boards.... maybe its actually good luck to talk smack about players in here because they always seem to come back and prove critics wrong!

Posted by: mrszilla | January 12, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow... I can't believe people have actually been discussing that!
Posted by: mrszilla | January 12, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

i agree. how can we think of trading neuvirth. yes we would get less for theo, but neuvirth is playing better even now, and he still young. if you are thinking of trading him in the near future, leave it till he has developed and made it obvious he is a great goalie and get a lot more for him. poti has been great recently. excellent to see him stepping up offensively since getting the 'A'. can't wait for another win tonight.

Posted by: colonelbagpuss | January 12, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

mrszilla, my opinion....its time to dump Poti's salary while his stock is up, his name is out there right now....maybe another GM would be willing to bite!

irockthered.....you poor baby having to be up so very early in the morning!!! Geeeez, LOL!!

Posted by: PhilR | January 12, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Once Varly gets healthy and stays that way try and trade off Theo. Having two very good young goalies isn't a bad thing, especially if the injury bug keeps floating around the league in the future.

Posted by: elwant | January 12, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Trading Neuvirth is rediculous at this point. Varly is still not proven, has less than a years NHL experience plus seems to have a lot of injury trouble (including recently). Hopefully that does not continue but it is something to factor in going forward. No knock on either young goaltender, but they still need to be around a bit before judgement is passed on who is the next goaltender for the Caps is.

Posted by: Grape8 | January 12, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Honest Question:

Who would take Theo? Salary implications, mediocre stats, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where theres a need for a goalie with his resume?

Posted by: jeets | January 12, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Some where around the 20 game mark I was looking at the standings and comparing the Caps total goals against to other teams in the East. There were only 5 teams that had given up more goals at that point. I didn't take into account games played but still....

This morning there are only 3 teams that have a better total goals against. This is very encouraging. I have felt they have been better in their own end but that is a big jump.

And oh by the way they still lead the league in goals for.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | January 12, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

"Once Varly gets healthy and stays that way ..."

Posted by: elwant | January 12, 2010 7:50 AM

That's the main concern, and who knows if it happens this season. Maybe he needs a full summer to get back to 100%- maybe not. But I'd think twice about moving Theo- unless of course its for another veteran goalie.
But I don't see that happening. Why would a team trade one vet for another- unless we offer some incentives (which I think would be a bad idea).

Either way- I'm very interested to see how this whole thing plays out. Less than 2 months, and we'll all be able to complain/rejoice- and for different reasons, I'm sure.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 12, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

JEEEZ,

Under NO circumstances do you trade Neuvirth. Theo will not be resigned next year (this little thing called "Nick's new contract" will prevent that) and Varly has a history of being dogged by minor injuries. Not sure how it will play out this year buy Neuvirth and Varly are your goalies next year and let their play decide who is the long-term #1 guy.

Posted by: TrabZ | January 12, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Honest Question:

Who would take Theo? Salary implications, mediocre stats, etc.

Posted by: jeets | January 12, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

well, at the trade deadline, his salary is not as big a deal. also remember he is a ufa at the end of the year. so a team might take him in exchange for getting rid of a guy who has a longer term salary. they take theo as a rental for half a year and be done with him.

theo has had some good stretches of games. he would make a good backup or fill in for an injury. think of a team who may have a number one guy go down. they dont want to invest in a goalie long term, so the pick up a guy like theo.

however, there are many potential UFA goalies available with lower salaries and better stats than theo. all depends upon what the caps would be willing to take in exchange.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 12, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Poti is less then bright, as it took him this long to figure out why the Caps signed him.

Posted by: sidehillman | January 12, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Another game in standard definition on CSN+...it's 2010 for gawd's sake. Sigh...

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | January 12, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

With Varly's health concerns and Theo's inconsistency, trading Neuvy would be insane right now. Also, I don't think we would get anything of value for Theo, the GMs around the league see the same problems we do. If any goalie were to get traded, and I don't think we should do this, it would be Holtby. Have to admit though that I don't know what level of prospect he's seen as by other teams, so hard to say what we might get in return. I think that was a long-winded way of saying keep all 3 young goalies for now and find another way to get that extra D we all think we need.

Posted by: Gould23 | January 12, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

espn's site was jammed so, i'll post here:

burnside,

remember the good ole' days when the only time you wrote about the caps was to suggest they should move out of dc?

varly and neuvy-claus aren't going anywhere. period.

Posted by: CF11555 | January 12, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I fully expect Varlamov and Neuvirth to be our goalies in 2010/2011, especially because of their sweet contracts.

Posted by: JSchon | January 12, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

And then have the Caps make a decision on one of them based on the 2010/2011 season and possibly move one of them in the summer of 2011, especially if Holtby continues to progress as he is.

Posted by: JSchon | January 12, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

mrszilla - Poti is proving his critics wrong? He is playing better offensively now so that means the previous criticism of him was off base? Maybe someone can explain the logic to me.

RE Mike Wise on hockey - do we have any reason to believe that he would have anything intelligent to say on the topic either in print or on the air. The local media has been extremely slow in figuring out that they have one functional franchise in town, and maybe they should learn something about the sport so they can report on it.

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

There are a handful of people in the Washington DC media that can intelligently talk about the Caps, let alone the NHL. They'd be better off getting cstanton to talk for 5 minutes about hockey.

Mike Wise radio is almost unlistenable.

Posted by: JSchon | January 12, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Let me just say as a Verizon FIOS customer in the Anne Arundel County area I get furious everytime I see the Caps on CSN+. I can't believe starting this year Verizon dropped CSN+ for customers in AACO and I believe Howard County. I've had to watch a few games on the internet through livestreams, I had to watch the Caps/Canadiens game in a French broadcast online because that's all I can find. I'm not sure if it's the Terps or Wizards who are playing on CSN but in either way the Caps are the most popular team in town right now. The Caps should have almost every game on CSN. As a lifelong Wizards, Caps, and Terps fan growing up in the area and a recent grad of UMD, I can tell you the Caps are the most exciting and entertaining team to watch in this area.

I don't understand why CSN does not put almost all (if not all) the games on CSN. Sorry for the rant I just had to voice my frustrations because now I have to watch the Caps game online and Terps game on TV. If it wasn't for the fact Comcast service is so inferior, I'd have a Comcast guy out today and my community laws deny me from being able to put a satellite dish up so DirectTV's out of the equation. UGH!

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 12, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Wise only recently hopped on the Hockey bandwagon... theres nothing to learn from his show.

Neuvirth & Varly are the future of the Caps goaltending. They aren't going anywhere. And neither is Theo for that matter. We'll have him through the playoffs and into the off season when his contract is up.

Finally in the TSN Power Rankings Caps are up two from 8 to 6.

Posted by: DarkHorseCards | January 12, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I am such a geek.

Checking in from 30,000 feet in the air is pretty cool!

No way, no how on trading Neuvirth. We have to keep him; he's too good to trade.

Posted by: irockthered | January 12, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Neuvy looks to have turned a corner.

I got the chance to see his start against Jersey on the 26th, and while his numbers were good, he still looked like he was catching up to NHL speed. His positioning was solid, but some of the shots seemed to surprise him. As a result, his rebound countrol left something to be desired.

It made me a little nervous to watch him.

Now, it looks like the game has slowed down for him. And really, that's a quick learning curve, when you think about it.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 12, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - If CStanton had a daily 5 minute take on hockey matters, I'd probably make a point of listening. Mike Wise - not so much.

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

CSN+ is terrible. I think the reception is even worse on an HD tv. It's like watching the Caps on the old Home Team Sports or what was that other channel they used to sometimes be on? On CSN+ we can't even tell the numbers on the jerseys. My picture is so bad it's like asking: Was that Ovechkin who just scored?...no, it was Erskine. I know CSN has deals with Maryland and the Wizards, but the Caps are the best thing in town. If they had the rights for the Redskins, I can guarantee they wouldn't be shoving them over to CSN+, even with a bad record. It should be called CSN-.

As far as Poti, I like him, but we shouldn't celebrate him finally doing what he was meant to do. Let's not jinx it, just let him keep playing this way! Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 12, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

NHL Rumors for Thursday, January 7, 2010.
Thursday, 07 January 2010 10:33
Twitter Myspace Digg Del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Yahoo Blogmarks Technorati Newsvine Googlize this FacebookHear this textPrintE-mailTags
KovalchukThrashersKingsBlackhawksBruinsCapitalsPenguinsGoncharAvalancheLilesOilersSourayMoreauStaiosO'Sullivan

SPORTINGNEWS.COM: Craig Custance reports on the ongoing negotiations between Ilya Kovalchuk and the Atlanta Thrashers and speculates on potential destinations for Kovalchuk should the Thrashers opt to shop him at the trade deadline. Custance doubts a recent rumor suggesting the Chicago Blackhawks would be interested, listing instead the LA Kings, Boston Bruins and possibly the Washington Capitals.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 12, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

You might want to check on that. If you are refering to Home Owners Associations, the are prohibited by federal law on restricting home owners from getting satellite dishes. I can find the ruling, but I remember reading it and I live in a HOA and there are numerous Dishes

Posted by: hbcapsfan | January 12, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

God I love Google. For all that are stuck in the Nazi HOA's....

Posted by: hbcapsfan | January 12, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

CSN+ is terrible. I think the reception is even worse on an HD tv.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 12, 2010 10:12 AM

This is very true. I wasn't sure if it was just me or not. IF it's on CSN+, I will go and watch in my bedroom on my little 27 inch standard def. It's too blurry on the HD big fella downstairs.

But from what I've heard- as Caps fans, we actually get the better deal out of it than the Wiz fans. We have something like 7 games on CSN+, while the WIZ have somewhere around 15(?).

Posted by: Fro_ | January 12, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil (if you're on today)

Ottawa has quietly lost 4 straight and is finding themselves grasping to a playoff spot by 1 point. If this trend continues, maybe your boy becomes available in 7 weeks...

Posted by: Fro_ | January 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

For those with Comcast, check out the Comcast Network HD listings. According to my channel guide the game will be broadcast on TCNHD tonight. (channel 856 in York, PA) Previous CSN+ games this season have been available in HD, but for all I know it will be the SD feed with fancy Comcast side bars. Either way, it's worth checking out.

Posted by: azayatz | January 12, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

My suggestion to caps fans is keep watching. When ratings go up networks have to pay attention. If caps fans watch everytime a game is on then they will find a way to make sure the game are in HD.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | January 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Only 3 more games on CSN+ including tonight.

I propose Comcast change the name to (CSN-) CSN minus to at least make us all feel better that they recognize it's a piece of crap channel.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

who is watching the bullets these days anyway???

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 12, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, The TSN ranking you have is from last week after we had dropped three. they moved us down from 4 to 8. Yesterday they moved us back up to 6. there is a little justice. Ha.
Keep up the good work

Posted by: billd2 | January 12, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@azayatz
Thanks for the tip. I checked my Comcast HD listings, but no such luck. We don't get channel 856. Therefore it's CSN- for us.
Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 12, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

anyone can be traded for the right price, other than Ovie everyone else can be moved.

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Burnside, that's it, you trade for Turco to bolster your run deep into the playoffs. Bonehead.

Posted by: oo7 | January 12, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@jschon
Finally someone gets it. There is no way the Caps trade Varlamov, Neuvirth or Holtby unless they get an unbelievable offer. All three are still on their rookie (ie; cheap) contracts (Varly and Neuvy are signed thru next year and Holtby has two more years after this year). While it appears that Varly has the inside track on being the Number 1 goalie, he continues to have injury issues. Neuvy is proving that he is has the ability to be a solid NHL goalie and there are some who think Holtby might turn out to be the best of all three. GMGM will have to make a decision between Varly and Neuvy after next year, but that will be based on their salary demands AND where the team is concerning salary cap issues.

Therefore, the Caps should keep Theo as their "veteran" backup this year. Then let Varly and Neuvy fight it out for the Number 1 goalie at training camp next year with the "loser" being the backup. Holtby will be in the Number 1 in Hershey. Things will get a little "dicey" when Holtby's rookie contract ends, but that's when the Caps will have to make a decision on who is kept and who will be traded.

Posted by: dnchnehr | January 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

F WISE-F the BULLETS-F ARENAS- in fact why don't they just go F each other then murder-suicide.

With all do respect...it's just a sh@tty reporter... who does not belong in DC anyway...go back to NYC DB.

Caps Fans - let's make Mike Wise's life miserable.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Have I missed something in the radio broadcast? I missed the first hour. Did they talk Caps or are they doing it now and Portis has been traded to the Caps?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Lyle, you sound a lil butthurt about this..I guarantee you most of the reporters for the Post aren't from the area. Where's Tarik from? Does he belong in DC?

I actually like Wise's commentary more than Wilbon and Kornhole's.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 12, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Why the heck would they trade Neuvy? He is the future, Jose is the past. Jose's contract is up this season, and he was never intended as more than a stop-gap until Varly/Neuvy were ready. Jose will be the one traded, maybe for a cheap veteran backup goalie for the playoffs, who will then go UFA after the season.
All these commentors who never heard of the Caps two years ago annoy me.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | January 12, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fro_ | January 12, 2010 10:44 AM |

Must be the hex I put on them.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 12, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I am upset...I'm tired of the Caps being treated like the red-headed step kids of the WaPo.

I guess they need to screw the fans for decades, brandish weapons, whine and complain, bad mouth fellow teammates in the press, hire and fire coaches, hire and fire thugs with no class, get involved in scandals-crime, defecate in each others skates, sue the fans, censor the fans, and last but not least; lose consistantly. Then maybe they will get some respect...in the meantime...I guess they will just go about conducting themselves as mature, professionals- extremely rare in DC- ohh, and they consistantly WIN for DC! So, yes, I'm a little angry reading about thugs who make too much money for being criminal losers.

When Wise jumps on the bandwagon and writes about the glorious Cup parade down Constitution Avenue, he ought to end it with " but it's just hockey."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from but yes I think playing well (great even, within the past week at least) is an effective way of proving critics wrong. Only today has there been talk of trading poti because he is good.... about a week or two ago people were talking about trading him because he was bad... The same thing happens with semin. If he has a bad night he should be traded, then he has a good night and he should be kept. It's a good thing gmgm isn't prone to such knee-jerk reactions otherwise they would have sold off everyone...

Posted by: mrszilla | January 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov and Neuvirth make a very appealing goaltending pair. Neuvirth helped the situation not only by his excellent recent play but also with his statement that he is comfortable backing up Varlamov. So, at least for now, there don't appear to be ego issues affecting the ability of the two to work as a tandem.

Having said that, if the Caps are going to trade for an elite player, the trade will almost certainly be with a bad team. Bad teams make trades like that to get prospects and high draft picks. That's how the current Caps team was built. It's fun to fantasize about other teams giving us elite players for current Caps who are under-performing or for prospects we've never heard of. But realistically, such teams are going to want Varly/Neuvy or Alzner/Carlson or some combination of them (maybe with Della Rovere entering the discussion). So if a trade for an elite player is made, we're going to have to give up someone good, someone whose leaving will make many of us unhappy.

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see this yet?
I've never heard "ref you suck" as loud as I did during the Carolina game on the 28th. Auger was the ref that night. hmmmmm

Posted by: billyrich | January 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone read up on the Burrows/Auger situation? If this doesn't get Auger fired, nothing will. The guy is a retard.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

tarik grew up and played hockey in this area. wise is from hawaii and wilbon from chicago. kornheiser from ny.

as a caps fan, i agree that the caps are underreported/covered by the local media, particularly during football season. however, i'm not delusional to think that the caps will overtake the skins in terms of coverage. it wont. the skins are top dogs in this area, good or bad. will always be that way. so folks should stop complaining because the skins get so much coverage, cause that aint going to change and your arguments will fall on deaf ears.

as caps fans, all we can do is show that we support those who provide coverage for out teams. page clicks on CI and tariks blog. watching games and posing questions to guys like steinberg/boswell and other sports commentators on the post. using sites like japers or OFB to show how much interest there is in the team and hockey. complaining about it isnt going to do much good. as ted says, you get what you earn not necessarily what you deserve.

hopefully the local sports talk stations and media outlets will realize what a passionate growing fanbase the caps have. it think the outlet that embrasses the caps and provides real coverage will benefit in the long term. i'm also a redskins fan and even i cant listen to any more skins talk.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 12, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Do anyone know where I can fine the clip showing Ovi supporting Gilbert?

Posted by: instinct227 | January 12, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@mirszilla

I have never been a fan of Poti, and I still don't like him, despite his 4 game point streak. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | January 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Erskine supports Gilbert, and said he keeps an anti-tank rocket launcher in his locker as well.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon- AMEN!!! it's amazing to me that it still happens! Even wise jumps on the bandwagon during the playoffs.... And then doesn't care to show it respect?

Puulease! DC sports are embarassing aside from hockey and for everyone's sakes hockey should be the focus. I don't get why people want to talk about every rotation of the bullets and skins down the drain...

Posted by: mrszilla | January 12, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I have never once cared even a single neuron to either the Skins or Wizards.

I also don't have a problem with the Caps coverage. Hockey has a lack of coverage in almost all of the teams who play in the US, and the Caps, being a "Southern" team, sure isn't going to get the love all of us hockey fanatics would like them to get. It's just something that comes with the least important big sports in America.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just read the Auger - Burrows article, that is plain crazy. Is there any sort of psychological screening to become an NHL ref?

Posted by: superpaqman | January 12, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla - At the risk of beating this to death -

IMO, Poti's recent improved offensive play 1)suggests that he is at best inconsistent at the offensive end, and 2) still leaves him as a frequent liability at the d end. I certainly don't think he has proven that any prior criticism of him was off base. I wouldn't compare his situation to Semin's. No one questions what Semin can bring, but some of us get frustrated with his occasional "lapses." IMO, Poti's positive contributions to the team are much rarer.

But I could be wrong.

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

like it not the Skins and the Bullets have won CHAMPIONSHIPS and the Caps have not...

yes, they're the best team in town but till they actually win something that counts, they will alwlays the fourth spoke on the wheel, after the those teams plus maryland basketball.

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Phil and Joe have it right. Why get all pissy about the Caps coverage in this area?

It was this way in the 90's when they were a perennial playoff team (including the '98 cup team which didn't get the coverage the Caps are getting now). Right now, the local coverage is probably better than it is in most of the US NHL towns. It's the 4th largest major sports league in a town where it's the 3rd (possibly 4th) most popular sport.

It's not going to change until Ovie and Co. raise the Cup. Until then, enjoy the ride of rooting for the most exciting team in the area and welcome new fans with open arms.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 12, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

It doesnt help that half of DC is Penguin, Flyer, Ranger fans who loved their home towns so much, they moved to DC.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 12, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

A close friend of mine works at CSN and they have been told that starting next season both CSN and CSN+ will be in HD. The Caps have fewer games on CSN+ than the Wizards, and none after the Olympic break. I was also told that Leonsis forwards all of the emails regarding the lack of HD for the + channel to Comcast. So, maybe keep emailing him and Comcast and hopefully something will be done about it sooner than next season.
Until then, Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: rockred4ever | January 12, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Lets all be honest, even ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, TSN and the like have hockey coverage deficiencies.

If you want Capitals coverage, in depth coverage, Japers Rink provides more useful minutiae than any site, any mega sports conglomerate. The stuff posted there are real, thought out and for the most part objective.

If you rely on the Post for your Capitals coverage, you will be left in the dark. TEB does a great job with what he has to work with, which isn't a whole lot from where I sit.

Also, the Caps brass keep everything close to the vest. Its not like things are floating around and we are missing it because TEB isn't doing his job.

Posted by: JSchon | January 12, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse