Morning roundup: 'Unnecessary' hit causes a stir

(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

David Koci's high hit on Caps defenseman Mike Green has upset the Capitals -- particularly George McPhee, who has been one of the NHL's most outspoken general managers when it comes to dangerous hits and head shots.

"It was a good example of what is wrong with the game," McPhee said from the stands at GM Place, where the Capitals were practicing ahead of Friday's game against the Vancouver Canucks. "It's a contact game, but there are just some hits, like that one, where you've got a guy who can hardly play who is smashing guys' heads against the glass because that's what he's supposed to do." | Full story ยป

And now, everything you need to know today that isn't about Vinny Cerrato:

*Green expects to play Friday:

"I'm good, I can see," Green said, sporting a badly bruised eye with dozens of stitches near his eyebrow. "I got my bell rung and felt a little woozy, but nothing like I couldn't remember what happened."

*Alzner's happy to be home -- and in the NHL. (Washington Times)

*Being Alex Ovechkin means doing a ton of these "Being Alex Ovechkin" things. (The Hockey News)

*Do the Caps need an enforcer? (CSN)

*Via the Caps' Nate Ewell, a TSN piece on Brendan Morrison.

*U.S. hockey looks promising (DC Examiner)

*Yay, Canada. (ESPN)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 17, 2009; 10:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green's 'bell rung,' expects to play
Next: Koci: 'My purpose wasn't to hurt' Green

Comments

Posted by: uncatim | December 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread:

Tom

Actually in Tampa the Cuban Sandwich is de rigor. If you are going to do fish for Tampa it should be Grouper, though I think flounder is better, as it is almost a religion down here. I don't know what the Miami/Sunrise fish is though as I try to stay on the sane side of FL as much as possible. If I have to go to the least coast of FL, I stay to the northern portion as my daughter lives in one of my favorite small towns, St Augustine.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

One last opinion on the whole Koci thing. It bugs me that two former Caps, who I respected as players, were behind the bench and decided to put Koci out there in a game that was out of hand knowing full well what Koci would do. I certainly hope Koci chose to do that on his own without orders from the bench to inflict damage at any cost. I will assume Sacco's and Kono's only hand it in was not thinking better of putting him out there without giving him goon orders.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - If Koci got his orders from the bench, I would expect a VERY heavy fine to the Avalanche. Right now, the League will probably suspend Koci - but I'd like to see his coaches hit with a fine, as well. One big enough to make them think twice before letting him out to do something like that again.

Posted by: irockthered | December 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninNYC: I plan to catch the Caps in MSG next season. I missed my chance this year because I missed the November game and I have a game to coach when they are there in Feb. The Caps SHOULD be playing in the Winter Classic in Boston since our team has a few of most dynamic players in the league but the Caps got passed over. I ranted about that the other day so I won't go there again.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

So why has there been no word on Koci...its not like it should be a tough decision!

Posted by: capscoach | December 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I saw the picture there of Green with the stitches between his eye and eyebrow - right where I had them after the skin cancer was sliced out. Pretty uncomfortable there - the skin is tender and you must be very careful not to wipe face with a towel.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Rovere In
Eakin Out
Simpson/Corgin In
Tiger/Elin Out
Ellen/Elton/Mary Cheney Out

Posted by: JSchon | December 17, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Koci drinks Grey Goose. Because he can afford it.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | December 17, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen any real response from koci on all this... Am curious what his repsonse is to BB and GMGMs remarks :)

Posted by: mrszilla | December 17, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrszilla | December 17, 2009

Haven't seen any either (though haven't gone looking for one). But, I would expect it to be the same as any player that is in the wrong...something like: Green looked my way, saw me coming, turned his back to me..high speed contact sport....blah, blah, blah." Of course that is my assumption only, but we hear that sort of thing from most players on the giving end of those sorts of hits, whether we feel they were in the right or in the wrong...

But, BB is definitely a fun type of coach in that he speaks his mind (hopefully that does not come back to bite him...though sticks and stones and words never hurt...and such)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 17, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

By the way, loved that TSN piece on BMo. I think its awesome that the young guns have such high and fun spirits, and that always seems to rub off on the older guys (like Kozlov and Fedorov last season). Its nice that the team really seems to like each other! And of course that BMo is finding his groove with the good guys! Here is hoping he makes a splash tomorrow night, he has had so many chances of late, he is surely due a goal!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 17, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I love that BMo is having such a great season. He seems like a cool guy...I love OV 2, but he really does have a strange taste in music :D

Posted by: capscoach | December 17, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

OK, so let's say that the league suspends Koci (and, by the way, they don't exactly seem to be jumping on this situation aggressively). So what? If the Avs want to cheap shot somebody, they still have Darcy Tucker. When Jason LaCanfora was the WP hockey writer, he said that even Tucker's teammates consider him to be a "puke." It's not like the Avs will suffer by losing Koci's "skill" for a few games. The Avs could care less.
It is disappointing that Steve Konowalchuk is associated with that cesspool in Denver. Kono was the epitome of a stand-up guy, always having his teammates' backs. He would have been the first to jump Koci if he were still on the Caps.

Posted by: zmega | December 17, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: You forgot...

Chris Henry Out

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

You have to suspend these guys even if it doesn't affect the team too much. A message needs to be sent. I mean really they would be doing the Avs a favor by suspending him...its not like he supplies anything to the team except lots of PK's!

Posted by: capscoach | December 17, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the Carlson link - it worked this AM but the London Free Press is having problems with its new site. The gist was that Caps/Bears will release Carlson to play in world juniors. The link worked again just now.

Posted by: uncatim | December 17, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

UGH! Is it Friday yet?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 17, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: You forgot...

Chris Henry Out

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 11:50 AM |

Ouch

Posted by: Fro_ | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

JSchon: You forgot...

Chris Henry Out

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 11:50 AM

And Chris Henry's fiance In......In-voluntary vehicular manslaughter that is...

Posted by: PhilR | December 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I had to share this:

10 Most Irritating People of 2009

10. Don Cherry

Shut up, already. A novel idea, we know. But you're barking mad. Yes, you are.

Posted by: horace1 | December 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

some players that don't have much (or any) skills to keep them on an nhl roster - won't be to worried about getting suspended and fined. they very well could view that as a price to pay to get an nhl salary.
there should be some accountability above what the player is responsible for
i suggest that the coach and team also bear some financial responsibility
IF koci were to be suspended for say 5 games - he would be fined just under 15K
(575K cap hit / 193 days on roster * 5 = $14,985)
not a small chuck of change (to me anyway) - but not really enough to make him look for another job

if the coach is sending him out to 'do his job' ...
fine the coach 10% of the players fine
$15K * .1 = $1,498 from the coach
the team should be fined the same amount as the player - col fined $14,985

i don't think a coach or a team would take very long to figure out that a player like that is not really helping the team in the long run.

for ovi's suspension/fine:
9.538M / 193 = $49,419 * 2 = $98,839
BB fine = $9,883
caps fine = $98,839

IMO - this would ensure the coaches and teams would stress playing within the rules - which would benefit all players on the ice

teams that insist on fielding 'tough' guys in their lineup (tor and phi come to mind) would have to re-evaluate their philosophy about building their teams

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 17, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

an addition note about fining coaches and teams
they have to be responsible for 20-23 guys and the fines could add up much more quickly for them as opposed to the individual players

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Cap'n -- I agree that the teams should be fined but I think it needs to be much stiffer. Most (most) of the guys getting suspended are low-salary guys. Moreover, if they're not paying the player but paying the league a fine of the exact same amount, it's a wash for the team. Maybe they could do something like reduce a team's salary cap by the suspended player's suspended salary?

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - Where did you see the picture of Green with stitches?

Posted by: elw1226 | December 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

elw: Click on "Do Caps Need an Enforcer?" (CSN) above.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

an addition note about fining coaches and teams

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

-------------

Theoretically yes but in reality only one or two guys per team are likely to be suspended, and they're likely to be low-paid thugs. I think it should be the team not the coach that gets fined. And it should be a fine that really hurts.

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 17, 2009 12:57 PM

yes - something to make the 'team' feel the pain too.

i believe player fines go to the nhl players emergency assistance fund

a coach or team fine couldn't be applied to any fund which might benefit the team - as in 'no tax deductable donations' - that could just make them 'feel good' about where the money is going

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 17, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk - Your approach makes absolute sense. But does the league want to stop this kind of conduct? Some significant portion of NHL fans enjoy the gooning - maybe over half in Philly, 30% of Ranger fans, probably around 10% in cities like DC. These pro wrestling/NASCAR types want to see people carried off the ice on a stretcher. I don't think the league has yet reached a consensus that it can flourish economically while not pandering to that crowd.

Posted by: zmega | December 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 17, 2009 1:04 PM

it's true most teams would only have one or two guys that this would apply to on a game by game basis. but ovi surely doesn't fall in that category - but it happened to him.
the coach decides who to put on the ice and when, the team (GM's - with coaches input) puts together the personnel that is available to the coach.
the point (that i think we agree on) is to hold the coaches and teams accountable (to some degree) for their employees actions
most companies/corporations can be held accountable for their employees - and in sports - that usually means some kind of 'self' policing needs to take place

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | December 17, 2009 1:14 PM

this too is a true statement. not for us fans to decide - but to debate. absolutely the league has to decide what product they want on the ice. IMO the 'new' nhl can not afford to have their marquee players watching from the press box because of suspension or injuries. i just think it is in their best interests to cater to the phi %50, nyr %70 and dc %90 - + all the potential 'new' fans that they hope to get. this league could thrive if they can attract new fans. i'm not saying they should ban fighting - that is a part of this game that makes it unique - just get rid of the senseless dangerous play that seems to happen too often

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 17, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Each Olympics, the general public is exposed to a relatively pure form of the game - lots of skating, passing, high skill level, etc. Interest in hockey typically goes way up. Historically, the NHL has not taken a lesson from this phenomenon. This time, with the smaller NHL rink, there will be some dilution of the usual Olympic product, but the emphasis will still be on skill and not gooning. I hope that GMGM has success in his efforts to wake up his colleagues.

Posted by: zmega | December 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | December 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

TSN's reporting is very good but their audience that comments so Canadien it makes me sick. What I mean by that is they have Maple Leaf shaped glasses on. Someone even called Green a cheap player, and there were already 8 yeahs. I just don't see it, not even when there are cameras watching players behind the play, or when I am at the stadium, Green doesn't do that BS spearing and hooking that you see from the Brier's of the league. If Green and Ovi for that matter were playing north of the border they would be heros, especially if they were in Montreal.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR - No doubt GMGM is a tough guy - how many GM's punch out their counterparts on other teams!?! I honestly can't recall much of him as a player, but I would be surprised if he was a thug like Koci. In any case, the point is that he is trying to clean up the sport now, especially WRT head shots, and I fully support him in that effort.

Posted by: zmega | December 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

There is only one way to get goonery like this to stop:

Hit the players, the coach, and the team in the wallet.

If the player is fined (and I don't mean something ridiculous like $200!), and the coach is fined, and the TEAM is fined, every time someone does something like this, then sooner or later, people will wake up and quit doin' it.

Especially if teams institute a policy where the team fine comes out of every player's pocket, and not from the team budget.

Can you see what would happen if, for example, Danny Briere speared someone on purpose, got kicked out of the game for it, and his team got hit with a huge fine that every player had to kick in to cover? Briere would very quickly be subjected to team justice, in which he is sent down a gauntlet with every member of the team taking a poke at him with their stick. He'd learn REAL fast that way!

Posted by: irockthered | December 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with zmega, at least he's trying to help the game improve. Talking about former goons, I have to chuckle when I see Craig Berube behind the bench. Probably has a great hockey mind but the brain wasn't firing that knowledge to the hands or feet.

I loved the Caps commercial they aired in the 90's that was filmed at Piney Orchard. There was a dude figure skating with, well, figure skating music in the background. All of sudden Berube came out of nowhere and checked him. That was a great commercial. Up there with Ovi pooring wine or champagne over his head while out to dinner. Or Kono vs ? in a face-off when the waitress drops the biscuit on the table. Good times, good times. Yeah, those were good times. Now, now, can be referred to as great times!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - Or Kono vs ? in a face-off when the waitress drops the biscuit on the table...

Must be awfully hard biscuits, LOL!

Posted by: irockthered | December 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

all the things i've seen about gmgm during his playing days was that he wasnt a goon, but want afraid to drop the gloves. he's not the biggest guy out there. he also was a hobey baker award winner and they dont give that award to guys with no skills other than to throw em.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 17, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

That might have been Andrei Nikolishin facing off against Kono.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"You guys do realize that GMGM had his fair share of "goonery" during his stint on the ice correct??! Just saying, I kinda look at him saying this as pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot. And before everyone starts I am a fan of GMGM just calling it like I see it...."

Understandable, but also realize that the players today are skating a lot faster, are better conditioned, and can inflict a lot more damage than 20 years ago. Bottom line is a cheap shot is a cheap shot, but more players are ending up in hospitals these days. I long for days where the likes of Barnaby, Avery, Koci, and the like are nothing but words we read on a messageboard.

Posted by: sandyflee | December 17, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 2:09 PM |

@fanohock: I remember those too. However, IIRC it was Kolzig with the wine over the head and Kono vs. Nikholishin (sp?) facing off in the restaurant.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 17, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

___

I do agree with others in thinking it was Niko vs. kono..

Another of those commercials that I remember...I think it was with Gonchar. The camera is following him as he returns home from work...he makes his way up the stairs and to his bedroom, closing the door on the camera...above his door, the goal light and sirens go on....

I think thats how it went, but I always liked that and the Kolzig pouring wine over his face at dinner ones the best.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 17, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

How cool is it that we're playing in the Olympic venue Friday? Backstrom is playing so well lately, can't wait to see him in the Games. I hope it does a lot for his confidence. Superstar in the making.

Posted by: LouLewis | December 17, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse