Morning roundup: Vague is vogue

(Greg Fiume/Getty Images)
Morning roundup

The Capitals have embraced the NHL's limited policy on reporting injuries, staying silent when it comes to disclosing injuries such as Alex Ovechkin's shoulder ailment last month:

Moments after Ovechkin went down during last month's loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, a team spokesman announced that he "may return" to that night's game. Ovechkin did not. The following afternoon, the team downgraded the ebullient winger's status to "week to week with an upper-body strain."
The world's best hockey player was injured. But in the hours and days that followed, there were more questions than answers. How did it happen? Where exactly was he hurt? How serious was the injury? Ovechkin wasn't saying, and neither were the Washington Capitals -- which is just how General Manager George McPhee wants it. | Full story ยป

Speaking of, Semyon Varlamov's lower-body whatever seems to be healing.

Tonight's matchup:

Buffalo Sabres (22-10-3)
Washington Capitals (22-8-6)
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

And now for your morning links:

*Shaone Morrisonn is feeling better, ready to play. (In the Room)

*Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller is not the Caps' friend. (Caps)

*The Sabres' Tim Connolly and the Caps' David Steckel should chat. (Buffalo News)

*Pep-talk time. (Ted's Take)

*Ovechkin's Vancouver teammate says the Olympics are more important than the Stanley Cup. Wonder if Ovie agrees? (The Score)

*Is it the Penguins, Capitals and Devils... and then everyone else in the East? (Puck Daddy)

*Top 10 shootout goals of the decade, starring No. 8 at No. 10. (also Puck Daddy)

*More on the Caps' power-lacking power play. (Japers' Rink)

*Virginia wants its Caps license plates. (On Frozen Blog)

*How to avoid giving another player a concussion, according to Sheldon Souray: Just say, "Head's up!" (Mark Spector)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 23, 2009; 5:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov shows signs of improvement
Next: Neuvirth appears set to start vs. Buffalo

Comments

We gotta hammer Miller tonight! Anyone going tonight? LET'S GO CAPS!! I'll be there in a Santa costume! Hopefully bringing goals to everyone (I mean Caps fans) for Christmas!

Posted by: HemmedUp | December 23, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Heads up sounds like the opposite of the fair catch signal in the NFL.

Posted by: HemmedUp | December 23, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Schultz isn't going anywhere. He's had a rough couple of games but he is the bargain, reliable stay at home defensemen every team needs. I'm not saying the Caps don't need to seek more assistance on the blue line to win the Cup(s), but Schultz is not one of the boys headed for the door.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse

I am very excited for tonight's game, but, honestly, looking forward to Saturday already. It's about halfway point in the season. Time to make a statement and let NJ know they can't just dominate.

I wish Brodeur would retire already.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 23, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Tarik/Lindsay,

Please try to give us some idea if the Caps will have their regular 11:00 practice tomorrow morning. I am planning on joining several hundred (thousand?) of my closest friends as I take two of my kids to see the Caps practice tomorrow. This may be madness on Christmas Eve, but we are trying to get a copy of Gabby autographed for Grandpa's Christmas present.

Thanks.

Posted by: crooks_c | December 23, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Shaone!

Posted by: boutros23 | December 23, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

@ Crooks_c

Always look at the Caps web page to find out about practices, etc. Today is the "pre-game" skate at 1000 in Kettler.
The "Caps Today" shows 3 days of Caps whereabouts, activities, etc.

Posted by: Dougeb | December 23, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

But you should also follow washcaps or capsmedia on Twitter, if you can, because they will tweet if practice time changes or gets canceled.

I'll be there tonight with my Santa hat on. This is my last trip to the VC in 2009 as I'll be heading out of town for the holidays, including a trip to LA for the Jan. 2 game! Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: CapsChick | December 23, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | December 23, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - E-mail me at irockthered {at} gmail {dot} com for a copy of the variation on bagpipes that I posted for the Doofus Brigade Marching Cherries.

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I know we have been on the short end of the stick when playing Jersey.....but I don't feel as if they have "dominated" us.

Looking down the road....I would not really fear any play-off match up. I've always wanted to see the Caps and the Habs in a play-off series.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Capsfanmiss: I think Devils are undefeated vs Caps and Pens. Hence = dominated.

irock: I emailed.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 23, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

This might have been posted already (sorry if it has), but if anyone is interested....

In 9 games played for Grand Rapids, Nylander has 12 points (1 goal, 11 assists) and is +3.

I had the urge to look that up for some reason...

Posted by: OviFan08 | December 23, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - I replied. Don't be drinking anything when you look.

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I had the urge to look that up for some reason...

Posted by: OviFan08 | December 23, 2009 10:06 AM |
Nylander belongs in the NHL, the Caps screwed him to the hilt for their mistake.

Posted by: hock1 | December 23, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@OviFan08

Maybe Detroit will be willing to give us a draft pick for Nylander? Maybe a 1st or 2nd? What would McPhee want for him, anything?

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 23, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1 | December 23, 2009 10:29 AM

Any team that wants him can have him.

Incidently, I don't blame the Caps or Nylander but the CBA. There are two FUNDAMENTAL (that was Joe Biden there) flaws with the CBA:

1) It inadvertently allows "cheat" contracts like with Pronger's that avoid the true cap hit;

2) It is unforgiving in that teams can't pay part of the salary (and cap hit) to trade a player. Meanwhile, players can (wink, wink) retire out from the last two years and teams can avoid the hits from those years.

If the CBA had made some allowances for situations like with Caps and Nylander, this would have been much less painful.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 23, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Big game tonight. Hey, @tominfl1, don't go looking past this one to saturday night. We're all going to have to work hard to win this one!

Posted by: Sonyask | December 23, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MReilly9

Detroit had the chance to claim him off of waivers for nothing, why would they now give up a draft pick for him?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1

How does he belong? It seems that none of the GM's agree with you as they all passed on claiming him off of waivers. Or does he belong but at a lesser salary? Next season, he's free to sign for whatever $$ he can get. In Sweden or the KHL I'd guess.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I just noticed on NHL Network schedule that Boston College and Boston U play at Fenway Jan 8th. Also, that day, a woman's college game. Good use of resources!

Flyers vs Bruins still stinks though!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 23, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse