Morning roundup: Worth the wait

(Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

Morning roundup

They had to wait eight months for it, but the Caps' 6-3 win over the Penguins was a step toward avenging last season's playoff loss. It was also, Coach Bruce Boudreau said, simply "a satisfying win against a rival." | Game story »

*Notebook: Jose Theodore gets the win despite a rough start

*Photo gallery: Capitals 6, Penguins 3

*Bog: Pittsburgh fans and Ovechkin

More Bog: Alexander Semin's pretty pass

*Pregame video: Mike Green | Alex Ovechkin | Bruce Boudreau | Dan Bylsma

*Postgame video: Tarik and Ken Campbell on the Caps, Jose Theodore on the win | Alex Ovechkin, David Steckel

Yes, there's more:

*John Carlson's first point (Fanhouse)

*Washington was all about hockey. (On Frozen Blog)

*Congrats, Ed! (Read to the end)

*What made the game special was how the Caps won. (Hockey News)

*A lot of Olympians around the Caps and Pens. (ESPN)

*Top Ovechkin-Sid moments. (ESPN)

*Postgame chatter on NHL's version of Kobe and Lebron. (Never mind the "Jose Tayadore," just enjoy the Caps on ESPN. (ESPN)

*The Penguins hardly self-destructed against the Caps, they just couldn't win. And that should concern them. (Post-Gazette)

*"Play the first two periods like they did Thursday night, and the Penguins probably could count on taking two points from most NHL teams. Unfortunately, the Washington Capitals might just be the best NHL team ..." (Tribune-Review)

*Game highlights:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 22, 2010; 11:21 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Postgame notes, Ken Campbell talks Caps-Pens
Next: Updates on Semyon Varlamov and Mike Green

Comments

Why is the picture of Ovechkin and a Senators' goalie?

Posted by: sonsofcain | January 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, good catch. Forgot to change the file name in that template! Should be fixed.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | January 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic win Caps.

After the unlucky goal early, I thought Theo settled down and made some big saves. The Caps battled all night and showed they are the Beast in the East. Ovie again showed that he is the MVP!

Posted by: bigschu8 | January 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

No mention of Green's BEST game as a Capital Last night?

LOL....

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

That's the second time you've made that dumb*ss comment. Gonna take it back later and say "no no no, I really didn't mean it THAT way, I really do think they're better with him in the line up..blah blah blah"?

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I think Mike Knuble is starting to show how great of a signing that was.

The first goal when he crashed the net and was able to jam it through and the 3rd goal when he set a great screen on Johnson were something we didn't have last year.

Knuble has added a great net presence and his ability to screen the goalie and score in close and in scrums will be very helpful come playoff time.

While everyone wants to talk about last year, the teams are not the same. I think the addition of Knuble will play a big part in helping the Caps advance in the playoffs against any team they play.

Another high end D man will be great to add and I would love it if they get one, but the Caps have improved in other areas from last year too.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

great team win! lets keep it rolling through the weekend boys! LETS GO CAPS!!!! see you all at VC sat. nite

Posted by: TracyMD1 | January 22, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

You're right, sgm. Knuble looked great last night. He and Ovi are really clicking together right now.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I think Knuble is benefitting from being on a line with OV and Backs!! I also wonder if the slight (and I do mean slight) decrease in OV's scoring is due to the fact that Knuble is not as good at passing and making plays. Now OV only has Backs to make those passes to him. Still, it's not like OV is really suffering!

Posted by: capscoach | January 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if this was in the other threads, but what a cheap shot move Orpick did with that cross check to Backie after his goal. Jerk.

Posted by: billd2 | January 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

the Caps did fine without Ovie earlier in this season... does that mean they will be better off without him????????

idiot...

Posted by: joek443 | January 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

In the picture from The Hockey News article it looks like Orpik is trying to blow Ovie over...if they consider that a defensive play, than that explains why they were awarded the L last night.

Posted by: NatyBG | January 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

i dont think orpick on backs was dirty, just 10 seconds too late to prevent the goal. when you go to the net, you are going to get hit.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 22, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

You guys are so predictable...

Search back...in the last thread...I said Green HAS a place on this team. I would like to see his minutes reduced (not cut in half, not cut down to powerplay only)..just reduced by 2-3 minutes. That would still put him on the ice more than 20 minutes a game...

I really like:

Green/Schultz
Poti/Alzner
Morrison/Carlson

I think that is a really solid well rounded defensive corps...a STANLEY CUP WINNING defensive corps...

And yes, Knuble is the perfect Ovechkin linemate. With all the shots Ovie gets off, Knuble is always at the net for the rebound (if there is one)...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@sgm, re Knubel - Abso-f***ing-lutely!

Posted by: zmega | January 22, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I also thought that the Orpik hit was late and probably looked worse than it was because Backstrom didn't expect the two handed whack from behind when the puck was already in the net. Orpik is a guy you don't like but would be happy if he was on your team.

Posted by: larryn703 | January 22, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay,
Is there some contractual reason why we have to watch game highlights with the Pittsburgh announcers' commentary? It's pretty lame.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 22, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@Soaring

So what do you really mean then when you say crap like:

"No mention of Green's BEST game as a Capital Last night?

LOL...."

That was you who wrote that, right?

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

that's a mild comment compared to the one he made a couple months ago when Green went down playing against the Wild

Posted by: joek443 | January 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

My boy Fehr was just on NHL Live.

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@Snyd1...

this was my other comment from earlier. And another poster only read 1 sentence and got all flustered...clearly, I was kidding. If nobody on this board thinks so...oh well. See below...

@ Jschon...that was Green's BEST game of the season! (LOL)...

And Schultz did get walked by Malkin pretty bad...

With those two comments, I am still very happy with the defense (just add Green instead of Sloan)...

I am very happy with the forwards. I am not one who thinks we need an "enforcer"...they are a waste of money.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@ Joek...

You are right. I am still just grumpy angry every day that Green didn't get hurt and is out for the season.

...very laughable...keep up the good comments and analysis of my comments.

(By the way, don't tell everyone I use to be Sinking Caps...bc now I'm Soaring Caps and I want people to think I am a different person)...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@larryn - The Caps could use an infusion of physical, but not psycho-dirty. I'd pass on Orpik. If he were here, he would be mildly tolerated when he did something good, but he'd get killed on CI for the stupid plays he makes.

Posted by: zmega | January 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

LMAO.. what analysis?

when you say, "I hope Green is out for the season", it pretty much speaks for itself

Posted by: joek443 | January 22, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Also, once is a joke, twice and you're trying to make a point.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I've still got the happy buzz going from the game.

Posted by: zmega | January 22, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

NOT even the Pens fans would wish that on one of our players...

you call yourself a Caps fans and wished that on Green... you're pathetic

Posted by: joek443 | January 22, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@ SoaringCaps:

I did understand the sarcasm about MG52 given that I was also following the context of your other posts.

That said, the printed word often fails to sufficiently convey sarcasm when said context is not obviously evident.

Therefore, I suggest bracketing those phrases where you intend to be sarcastic/kidding with a symbol I personally refer to as the "Sarcasmé" (Ø). It is produced by typing 0216 while holding down the "Alt" key (on Windows machines--not being a Mac user I think that it might be Command+0216 ona a Mac, or something like that--I'm just not sure).

So, an example of using the Sarcasmé might go something like this:

Ø Gee, Mr. Cherry, where can I get a suit like that? It sure is swell! Ø

Enjoy.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 22, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 22, 2010 12:30 PM

-------------------------

Those appear to be the highlights produced for nhl.com. They usually use the home team's feed.

Posted by: greggwiggins | January 22, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The most glaring thing I took from last night was the development of Alzner and Carlson. Alzners +/- was bad because he was victimized by the theodore doof and the dirty whack a puck goal. Other than thought, I was impressed by his positioning and clearing ability. Carlson is really, really impressing me. Does anyone else notice his ability to keep pucks in the offensive zone? He steps up responsibly and gets the puck deep. That couple with the 3/4 line cycling ability creates many, many scoring chances.

Im starting to think it would be a big mistake to not have carlson on the roster for the playoffs, he played very well in what the whole team saw as a playoff game.

I think with their experience next year...I wouldn' mind a Green/Schultz Alzner/Carlson top 4...and I think thats what gmgm sees in the future. Alzner and Carlson tore up the AHL together.

Posted by: BACKS | January 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ok Reverend Joe calm down.

1) I can say anything I want. That constitues an "opinion".

2) Everything I say...doesn't actually happen. So, see #1.

3) I have said countless times. Green just needs his minutes reduced. That will allow him to cut down on mistakes, and oh, ya, play a little (not a lot) of defense.

It's ok buddy. Really. The only players we can't afford to loose are any of our centers and Ovechkin.

We are a very deep organization to withstand anything else.

(and obviously we need a more stable non injured goalie, and no, I don't wish injury on Theo. I just wish he would walk away quietly and enjoy his 9 million dollars he made over last year and this year)

Have a GREAT day Joek443!

(and point well taken jsnyd)

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

One thing I find interesting in the Pittsburgh recaps is that they all point to the special-teams play as the reason why the Pens lost. This is true, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Last year, in the first two games, David Steckel absolutely murdered the Pens in the faceoff circle. Last night, the Pens got torched in the dot again, going 25 for 62 or 38%. B-Mo was a perfect 8-for-8 on the night, and Flash won 11 of the 16 draws he took. Steckel was the worst on the night and still won better than half (10-for-19). The Caps being the puck-possession team that they are, they'll rip most teams apart on most nights with that kind of a win percentage on the draw, and the Pens are no different.

I havern't looked at the details of PP/PK/ES draws and locations of the draws taken, but I would bet you dollars to donuts that it played into the performance of special teams for both clubs.

This is a big issue for the Pens that isn't getting enough play in the recaps IMHO.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins need to work on their plus,minus.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 22, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Another thing I noticed about the game last night is that the Pens must really be missing Scuderi.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

You guys are so predictable...

Search back...in the last thread...I said Green HAS a place on this team.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 22, 2010 12:25 PM |

Dude- your credibility on this board was lost about a month ago when you wrote that you wanted us to trade Green. You were being serious too. Really doesn't matter what you write at this point, no one takes it seriously. But it does make me laugh when you're arguements get shredded on here- so by all means- keep posting.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

25-for-66, my fault. The percentages are correct per the game summary.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz, great point. The combination of success on the draws and keeping the puck in the zone led to enormous possession time. Our time in the zone also kept the Pens gassed for much of the time and led to several icing calls against them.

A very nice turnaround from the Wings game.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 22, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, folks!

Got an idea that'll even further grow the hockey fan base:

The Locher-ese/English Dictionary

In this dense, symbolist tome, the following terms would be explained to the layman:

"Dipsy-doo"
"Kabong"
"Sin Bin"
"oops-a-daisy"

...and many, many more!

Any other Locher-isms you'd like to see translated?

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Knuble is another weapon in Ovie's arsenal. He's just now figuring out how to use him. Look out now cause that is a scary line and it frees up Semin to play with Laich and Fleisch which is another deadly combination. And lucky for me, I have Knubes, Semin and Fleisch in my pool.

Posted by: bigschu8 | January 22, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - Thank you for the Jose Tayadore comment, every time i watch ESPN highlights and hear that or Alexander SAY-min I just cringe. Glad I'm not the only person noticing it.

Posted by: chatton | January 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino
I know the first two here, but....

twig, chicklets, and his "holes" for scoring areas on a goalie

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Oops, thank you lindsay, not tarik

Posted by: chatton | January 22, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask: That's also an excellent point. They had long stretches of zone dominance against us last season - last night turned the tables in a big way. It's still regular season - we'll have to wait and see on the playoffs, but it does signal a change.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

According to the stats as of the time I am posting this at ESPN, in the list of the top 18 players in the NHL this season in points per minute, with a minimum 30 games played, are FIVE Washington Capitals.

Ovechkin #1, Semin #8, Backstrom #11, Fleischmann #14, Fehr #18.

No other team has five players in that list. No other team has four. One team, the Sharks, has three. Two teams, the Canucks and Penguins, have two apiece. Six other teams have one apiece. And that leaves 20 teams without any.

I know points per minute is a flawed stat, like most other NHL stats. A lot about points-per-minute depends on the quality of the defenders you tend to get matched up against each night given whatever line you're on, and how much power play time you get.

Still, whatever way you shake it, that's pretty friggin' impressive.

And in case you're really interested, what I call "points-per-minute" is another way of presenting what ESPN calls "PROD." PROD is actually minutes-per-point rather than points-per-minute, so lower PROD is good and it means more points-per-minute, unless your PROD is 0:00 which would mean you have no points.

And in case you are really, really interested, here are your top 18 (again, this is with a minimum of 30 games played):

1. OVECHKIN 13:15
14. FLEISCHMANN 19:15
15. E. Malkin 19:15
16. S. Stamkos 19:26
17. T. Connolly 19:40
18. FEHR 19:43

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Also, the non-Olympian Mike Green is leading NHL defensemen in PROD with 24:08. Only one other, Bergeron in Montreal, has a PROD less than 28:38, which is a full 4:30 higher.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse