Almost a Gordie Howe hat trick for Matt Hendricks

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

When the officials escorted Matt Hendricks off the ice following a scrum with the New York Rangers' Michael Sauer Tuesday night, he appeared to be one third of the way en route to a Gordie Howe hat trick -- a fight, goal and an assist in one game.

Hendricks himself thought he had at least been given a 5 minute major for fighting, because little else would prompt the referees to guide him off the ice. Instead, Hendricks was given two minutes for roughing and because there weren't many whistles for the duration of the first period he wasn't able to return to the ice upon the realization of the minor penalty.

As the contest wore on, Hendricks would record his second goal of the season and an assist, for the first two-point game of his career. But he was one part short of the Gordie Howe hat trick because of the minor penalty after his fracas.

"No comment on that," Hendricks said when asked about the missed Gordie Howe hat trick. "But you can see the disappointment in my face."

The scuffle with Sauer was the result of Hendricks's first-period collision with former Capital Steve Eminger. Hendricks said he believed that Eminger tried to jump out of the way when he saw the Caps fourth-liner coming but neither completely missed the other. Eminger was writhing in pain on the ice afterward, but was back in the game in the second period.

FROM THE POST
Get caught up on the Capitals' 5-3 win over the Rangers with the game story and postgame blog entry.

AROUND THE WEB
Could the Calder Trophy go to another defenseman this year, say maybe John Carlson or Montreal's P.K. Subban? (Sports Illustrated)

Before giving the Calder race away to the blueliners, don't forget about the goaltenders. (Edmonton Journal)

Dave Lozo tries to answer why fans should trust the Washington Capitals' success this year. (NHL.com)

By Katie Carrera  | November 10, 2010; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  Matt Hendricks, Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 5, Rangers 3 in a game with plenty of hits and unlikely goal scorers
Next: Capitals recall Marcus Johansson

Comments

Katie,

bad Lozo link

Posted by: mcintire_will | November 10, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Observations/comments:

1. Sloan is not good and should not be on this team.

2. Knuble should have had at least 3 goals, but 1 is better than none.

3. I much prefer the new and improved Mike Green. I think if there is one indicator of a change in attitude on this team - for the better - it is Green's willingness to throw down. I love it!

4. I hope our goaltending does not become our achilles heel. Could BB have done more harm than good in pulling Neuvy? Not sure he looked the same.

Posted by: kkd76 | November 10, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Highlight of last night's game to me:
having the team fire on all cylinders. By that I mean it was great to see Knuble finally net one, Laich getting on the score sheet, even Erskine fire one in. This was all enough to overcome some surprisingly bad turnovers (e.g. Alzner's PK clear, Sloan's muffed pinch-in). Just a great all-around team performance to overcome setbacks, IMO.

On a related note - Varly the goatlender must be relieved Knuble scored... unless the sacrifice already happened...

Posted by: PSD1 | November 10, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Katie: I'm interested in that Lozo story as well. He does have a feature this morning on Mike Green:
but it looked like you were referring to something else and the link is bad, as pointed out.

@kkid76, Sloan's flub was bad, on a night when each of our D had gaffes (though perhaps not Erskine -- I don't recall one from him). Alzner's was awful too. But from the seats I thought he was pretty terrific in the Toronto game (in which he also scored) and solid in the two to follow. He hasn't earned anything beyond being our 7th D man, but I feel as if he's begun to help contribute significantly to a more responsible Caps D. Not that he should be a regular starter, but he's made some good plays.

Posted by: Justafan | November 10, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else note that the last time Nuevy started to struggle it was right when Vary came back? And now Varly is ready and he starts to struggle again...The Caps need a better sports psychologist...we have too many head cases on this team! :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

My comments in response to @kkid76 concerned Sloan, not Alzner, as might be inferred otherwise from the usage.

Posted by: Justafan | November 10, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

My comments in response to @kkid76 concerned Sloan, not Alzner as might otherwise be implied.

I think it's time for Neuvy to get a rest. I would not place the blame on pulling him -- if he can't handle that he doesn't belong -- but he needs to pull himself back together. Whether Holtby or Varly, if he's ready, one of them should be in goal tomorrow night.

Posted by: Justafan | November 10, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS
Haha, you beat me to it about the singer. Silly hoser, I can forgive the wrong words...but Simon Cowell would have torn him a new one with how bad he sounded. So much for starting that solo career...think someone finally Pinched Him.

@capscoach
I'll give you that Laich crashed the net well...but if you look at the play, he was just skating to the net and Semin bounced it off his stick. He needs to be crashing with puck awareness in order to be more effective in front. It kind of reminded me of the scene in Happy Gilmore at the putt putt golf course with the bank shot, Semin was just in his own "happy place" and taaaaapped it in. Watch Laich's reaction when it hits his stick, he is like "huh, what just happened, ohhhh look I scored". Couple that with his quote on about any donkey skating to the net...and I think Laich still wants that "earned" goal before the weight will be lifted.

Other things I cant believe I havent seen mentioned since last night.

1) How bout Greenie on the post saving that goal when Neuvy was flopping. He even pulled up his glove like he was the goalie. Great playing Mikey G, keep working for that Norris (and if you keep your current play up, it's safe to say you better start clearing shelf space in your trophy room).

2) Was it just me, or did ChimChim get totally mugged? He tries to drop the gloves with Risotto (Del Soto) and that little sissy runs away and yanks his jersey free. ChimChim, sad the fight didnt happen, attempts to retrieve his glove and stick and WHAM, from behind and blind sided he gets crunced by Boyle. THEN, they both get roughing minors? How the he11 does that work out? Of course, the next play, Carlson loses his edge and we get a PP out of it that we score on...perhaps a make-up call?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@justafan

He might need another night off soon, but he started to play better in the 3rd.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

yea...that was def. a make up call!

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

on that Chimera play, we totally should have ended up a man up in that situation, whether one in the box for them, or two for them and Chim for us. Good on Chimera for being ready to roll.

Posted by: Justafan | November 10, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why so many of you dislike the fact that Green got into a fight. He did miss ice time, but it's not like he dropped the gloves to go with a 4th liner. Dubinsky is a critical player to the Rangers so the trade-off with both of them in the box was at least acceptable. Dubinsky finished his check on Green pretty long after Green had passed the puck across. I like that Green took exception to that and let Dubinsky know first hand that he wasn't going to tolerate it. Green looked pretty good in the fight too. Not like Dubinsky is a big time scrapper but he's not a pushover. Greenie's moves over the top and then slipping in some upper cuts is much like the dirty boxing in MMA. I heard he's a fan of MMA too so I'm sure he was happy as heck that it worked.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

and when Green gets injured and Sloan and Fahey are on ice for a couple of weeks...ur not going to complain? :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

While I agree with you that Greenie had a good game last night I would not be so quick to give him any silverware quite just yet. IMO he has a ways to come yet to be a true Norris contender, it would be nice to see him go a game with out ending up on his ass.

As for Sloan ........... hot dog stand is calling him louder and louder with every passing game.

Posted by: bqts | November 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

well - Maybe Chimera who's about 6 3' and 220 vs. a skinny 6ft 180lb Del Zotto who never fights should think freaking twice about fighting someone like that. It's a po-oosy move and that's why he got banged up by Boyle. The refs also recognized that fact and that's why it's off-setting minors.

Going to the net. I missed Laich's goal, but that's certainly Knuble's style. Knuble is very crafty around the net vs. someone like Holmstrom who battles for the puck...or like Cicarelli etc. WE need more of that from the Caps

Regarding all the contributions from the 3rd line and defenseman, let's all recall what happens at play-off time.
1. Sloan/Erskine/ and others will sit.
2. Boudreau goes back to playing his top 2 lines relentlessly and since we have no second line center, it will be a revolving door at that position throughout the first round of the play-offs.
3. Varly will be "the goalie" when Neuvy has one bad game.
4. our power play will go bust as teams figure out we don't want to pay the price in front of the net and continuously shoot perimeter shots which magically get blocked.
5. Don't forget about the "hot goalie".

Wash/rinse/repeat.

Posted by: Jaymagz | November 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

For people saying Neuvy didn't play well. Can you explain really how he was at fault on any of the 3 goals? I'd really like to know. He again made saves when they were required, he's not going to be a Vezina caliber goalie every night. Come down to reality.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I wish we had some player quotes on the condiction of the ice. Alzner and Sloan made bad plays, for sure, but the puck was bouncing all over and there were many, many whiffs. Alzner picked up his head, mistake. With Sloan, puck was bouncing.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

3 points:

Caps play this system in the playoffs, and their chances improve drastically

Caps trade Flash for either legit shut-down blueliner or 2nd line center and their playoff chances get yet better

Caps trade Flash for blueliner and MAJO develops into a legit 2nd line center, the Caps look much, much better for the playoffs

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

I have no isue whatsoever with Green dropping the mits, to me it is all a part of the maturation process with him. Can he get hurt? Sure, but he can get hurt getting his skate stuck in a rut in the ice too and we have Sloan and Fahey playing. He is a big boy and a couple fights per year aren't going to hurt him unless he tries to take on players like Boogaard!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@bqts

I agree, hence I said "IF he keeps it up. I was not saying he already locked it up. But if he plays the way he has played in these first few games for the entire season...you are telling me you dont think he will be front runner?

@Jaymagz
Totally disagree, by your logic, the little guys in the league can run around and do whatever they want to bigger guys and not expect reprecussions. Risotto and ChimChim were semi-going at it, and Risotto decided to get a little extra stick work in there (if I remember correctly) and ChimChim said "OH really fool". Boyle's "coming to his defense" was a dirty cheap shot, from behind and more like a 3rd man in than after the fact type deal, since ChimChim and Risotto had already separated. Boyle was your so called po-oosy in that scrum.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz,
well, maybe Del Zotto shouldn't start something he can't/won't finish. He was giving it to Chimera pretty rough before turning and running away like a scared rabbit. Fortunately Chimera didn't pound him in to the ice anyway and get more PIMs.

If you are already so confident that all is lost for the Caps in the playoffs, then I guess there is no reason to watch them anymore this season? They have made a few adjustments to the way that they are playing and I think that they are going to continue to gain confidence in the system. These changes should result in much more success in the postseason.

Posted by: _Mark | November 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1:

I've been reading some of the Rags' blogs and they have been talking about the poor quality of the ice at MSG virtually all season. So your observations are correct and it clearly affects players on both teams.

Posted by: Thisistheyear | November 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The Caps are on a nice run here, beating good teams in tough games. If they can finish off Tampa and shut down Stamkos (who I would put along with Halak and Thomas as league MVPs so far) that would be a sign of good things to come.

The first half of last night's game was as intense and physical as a playoff game. It was a stress test for the team, and exposed the Caps' weaknesses. IMO they are the same ones we have been talking about since the summer.
* Even with Poti coming back, there is still a desperate need for a physical veteran d-man. Sloan will not cut it. Erskine has been very good, but I think he is a part-time player. Alzner and Carlson are going to be fine but should probably sit out from time to time - Alzner needs to get stronger and Carlson is still prone to taking excessive risks IMO.
* 2C. Flash becomes invisible in physical, tight-checking (no pun) games. MaJo will be fine, but they are rushing him this year. He's not ready to be a full-time 2C on a SC team. I think the team is better off with Laich at 2C. But ideally, a solid vet should be brought in.
* I thought Neuvirth looked shaky in the first half of the game and gave up a ton of rebounds that he normally would not. He pulled it together when he needed to at the end, though. I think he is not physically/mentally ready to play 60 NHL games per year. Hopefully, Varly will be ready soon. No other team has three solid, young NHL level goalies equal to the Caps' trio. Holtby would benefit from a full season in Hershey, with occasional call ups, but I think he is the real deal.

Otherwise, the vets all played solid last night. I haven't seen a lot of fire out of Ovi, Backstrom looks like he is not quite on top of his game yet. Semin is playing like an all-star (including very solid defensive play) and Green like a Norris trophy winner. I'm OK with Knuble - the pucks aren't going in with frequency yet, but he is doing good things on the ice, getting and creating good chances. Chimera has stepped up, Laich has been solid overall, Hendricks has been a great addition, Gordon has shown that he is a very solid player when healthy.

Posted by: zmega | November 10, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I have an issue with Boogs goal. Neuvy should have challenged and cut down the angles. It was a 1 on none, so go out and challenge; don't sit in the net. Other than that, he was not bad. He was shakey on the Green glove save, flopping about the crease. I expect a rookie to have a moderately off night now and then. And he was not so much bad as a bit off early on. He is very good in the 3rd when he needed to be.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 10, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

I would say if he continues to play the way he has play the last 3 games yes he should be the front runner. Now only time will tell.

@ _Mark

Well put however while these changes should "result in much more sucess in the postseason" I have a couple of questions based on that.
We still have 67 games to go to get there 1 - Do you really think BB can keep the players focused on this to get it all squared away say by game 50 and then push hard to close out the season?
2 - What happens when or if others teams play total shut down d on us?

Posted by: bqts | November 10, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@Jimallcaps

Neuvy was 3 feet outside the crease cutting down the angle on the Boogard goal. I know that guy rarely scores but that was about as perfect a shot as you can make from that position.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Otherwise, the vets all played solid last night. I haven't seen a lot of fire out of Ovi, Backstrom looks like he is not quite on top of his game yet. Semin is playing like an all-star (including very solid defensive play) and Green like a Norris trophy winner."

I agree with everything except the part about Backs. I thought he was great last night with some sick passes (the one to Bradley comes to mind), holding off defenders when he's cycling and running the PP.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat |

Thank goodness someone else has some hockey sense around here.I thought neuvy played fine.Every goal was cause of a mess up from our dmen that left him out to dry.But on all the saves he was supposed to stop he did.cant get a shutout everynight,as much as he and we would love it,it jus aint gonna happen.Cut the kid some slack and get behind him and support him for he has gotten us this far pretty much all by himself.Remember,hes still a rookie,hes gonna have his ups and downs,so dont try crucify the kid for every mess up or worried his heads not in it.I think hes done a great great job between the pipes and mark my word as ive always said,he will be our number one goalie for now and years to come.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 10, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

I was thinking the same thing about the ice, but players know that if the ice is bad they need to be careful about going after the puck on D.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@ ThePat, I just watched the Booger goal again, and Neuvy is just beyond the paint -- not exactly coming out to challenge on a shot from just inside the blue line, above the top of the circle. Holtby would have been in NJ to challenge that shot, lol.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 10, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

caps recalled MaJo

Posted by: _stevo | November 10, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@greatfuldid and thepat

Nuevy was scrambling in the first two periods and gave up some really juicy rebounds...that being said, he got A LOT better in the third and seemed to settle down.

I also stand by my observation that the two times this season he has started to struggle were when Varly was ready to come back...as I said...Caps should invest in a really good sports psychologist...we have quite a few head cases on this team.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

We're first in the league.

We're getting better. I'm just worried we'll peak at the wrong time again.

However, I love watching these guys play. I almost think it'd be better to complete trades (if there are any) before January. The influx of 4 new players last year definitely shook up the chemistry too much.

I think GMGM will say, "Why screw with a good thing?" Then, we'll make a trade at the deadline that will shake the apple cart too much.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | November 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Varly isn't even on the bench yet. Against Boston he pulled himself because he was sick the first time. The last few times he was exhausted. Playing 3 games in 3 nights in the AHL and then having 4 days without a game, is a lot different than playing every other day. It takes getting used to. So I don't think it has anything to do with Varly, who I think is still a week away.

Im not saying he wasn't shaky last night, but the goals were a result of mistakes by our D that he didn't have much of a chance on. And he made the saves when he needed to. The expectations some people have are unfair in my opinion.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Jaymagz
Sorry to say, but I can see everything you describe in your 3rd paragraph happening.

Last nights game had a playoff feel to it. Almost an old Patrick division scrap.

I would like to have seen any additions at Center and Defense being made by now or at least soon, although I don't think GMGM will do anything, considering the team is winning. I thought last years trade deadline moves actually were bad for team chemistry.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 10, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@bqts,
It is a long season ahead and if they continue to improve and gain confidence in the system, then maintaining focus may become an issue. I believe that the way the season ended last year will be a regular reminder of why that focus is important and help them keep that focus.

Some of what they are doing now will also make it harder for teams to completely shut us down. We will be a migraine for other teams, I believe.

On top of this, I expect that we will see a couple personnel changes. It is a long way to the post season.

Posted by: _Mark | November 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

capscoach: You are correct on the ice, they just can't predict the skips. That's why I fault Alzner but give Sloan a pass.

zmega: Good write-up.

Moose: Agree with you on Backie. He also did some fine forechecking to steal the puck.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh...and where is Bradley when u need him to jump off the bench and stop our star defenseman from doing something stupid!!! Although...he kinda won that fight but i was yelling Noooooooo at the top of my lungs to the tv when I saw Green square off.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

As a Green fan, I was yelling Yeaaaaaaah at the top of my lungs as clearly he's gunning to win the Norris this year. Seems like he understands that to be the best defenseman in the NHL, you have to play offense/defense/and be tough, too. Additionally, Dubinsky is perhaps more important to his team than Green (no disrespect, that's more of a testament to NYR's dearth of talent) and it was a good trade off. I'm starting to think of Paul Coffey, and not Phil Housley, when I watch Green now :)

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 10, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think the time to trade is when a time is winning, not losing. You have the upper hand to a desperate team. If you are losing and looking to upgrade out of desperation, ouch, you'll get stung with a long contract. If you add to compliment an already good team, you can pick and choose, wait out other gm's. Flash looks good now as a scoring wing, so he is a hot commodity, not a cold one. Hence, trading Flash now is better than when he is in a slump as a gm will get more value for the trade.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 10, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Tom,

Sloan gets a pass..? Just my opinion, but he looked like he did an "Ole" to avoid getting splattered by Boogie. At least Karl attempted (and failed) to clear the puck.

I wouldn't give either of them a pass myself.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It's odd that when our "star" players fight some fans cringe in fear of them being hurt. Meanwhile, fans of star player such as Getzlaf, Stewart, Crosby, Thornton, Iginla, Backes, Nash, Kovalchuk, Doan, Richards, Lecavalier, et al revel in that player's intensity and willingness to engage. Though I hate Crosby, gotta give him props for old-time hockey (even if he jumps unsuspecting opponents; I saw Dale Hunter do same thing on many occassions)

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Capscoach: I'm not saying I am supporting Green jumping in to fight for someone else on a regular basis like a Hendricks or even an Erskine will do. However, to make a statement to protect himself by dropping the gloves last night when he feels the line has been crossed he may be able to avoid injuries from marginally late hits. It worked last night, Dubinsky didn't run him for the rest of last night's game.

bqts: Green is already a Norris candidate. He finished second in the the voting two years in a row. He has definitely altered his game but I believe it was for two other reasons more important to him than winning the Norris.

1. By playing more physical and more defensively responsible he will be more effective in the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup.

2. He does not want to get overlooked for Team Canada again if they play in Russia.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps,

Completely with you on Green, he is maturing and showing that he knows what it takes to be a top flight Dman in this league which includes dropping the mits when necessary (sorry for all you who don't see it that way but the is my opinion.)

Steve_R,

Agree with your assessment on Sloan, he saw the boogie man barrelling down on him and said "The hell with this!!"

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd give Crosby more props if he'd lose the visor. But that would actually involve allowing the other player the time to become a willing dance partner instead of an unsuspecting opponent.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS

He couldnt come out too far on Boog, because technically it was a 2 on 0...he had some other blueshirt streaking down the middle. If he came out too far, they could have simply passed around him and tapped it in empty net style.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Lose the visor as in take the helmet off when fighting... Bush league to start fights wearing the visor (see Hartnell, Scott).

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Alright, another game for DJ King, another -1, another less than 6 minutes of ice time.

AND

No fight last night?

What a bust this guy is. Send him to Hershey or get rid of him.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 10, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It truly amazes me how the DC area caps fans can go from just being happy to make the playoffs and getting back to being a contender to finding fault with a team that is at the top of the standings and in the top 10 (and even top 5) of the following categories:

Total Points (1st)
Wins (1st)
Win %age (3rd)
GPG (1st)
GAPG (9th)
PP% (10th)
PK% (9th)
OTW (1st)
+/- (2nd)
SHGF (1st)

...and all the other stats that this Caps team has done and improved on since last seasons amazing run...

Play around with the team stats and be thankful we aren't the Devils or Edmonton, or some other bad team!

Why people get so uptight about this is beyond me... you have no controll over it... energy best spent elsewhere if you ask me! Like cheering!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 10, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

AND

No fight last night?

What a bust this guy is. Send him to Hershey or get rid of him.

Posted by: SuperZ3383

King was on the ice for that OLE!!!! move by Sloan leading to a breakaway by Boogaard. How is that his fault again?? Fourth line guys usually get about 8-10 minutes a game if they are lucky, last night was a tight game so he got less. Lay off the guy, he gets to play in one of every six games.......man, that really gives him time to get his game together and perform right?

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

PhilR, my point exactly!

BB doesn't seem to have faith in the guy, only giving him a jersey once every 6 games and less than 6 min average on ice.

I know it's not giving him time to get his game together, but he should know that and make the most of his ice time. He is a bust and you know it.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 10, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I agree don't be so hard on King, but at the same time realize BB hates playing someone that is basically strictly a fighter. So his ice time is very rarely ever going to be more than 6 minutes a night when he plays.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Im with the group that says Sloan messed up and it wasnt the ice. His stick hopped over the puck, not the puck over his stick. He tried to make an offensive play and whiffed.

My favorite incident of the night though (as in made me laugh my tookus off) , was when they were mugging Fehr in the crease after a near miss and all the players came together...Flash looked as if he was about to pretend to stick up for his teammates, but was grabbed by a boy in blue (albeit a much larger one) and slammed Flush against the glass, prison style. He even had the sad and scared look on his face that you would have had that been the prison shower room instead of the boards.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Frank, the winning % when trailing after 1 is impressive, though it would be nice not to have to come from behind so often. Only one other team in the league is over .500 in that one.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Thing is I really think the guy could play (and contribute) to that 4th line if given the opportunity to play every other game or so. That would give him a bit more consistant ice time but BB won't play someone that can't contribute OFFENSIVELY on a regular basis unles he is a Dman (see Erskine)

So no, SuperZ I am not ready to call him a bust as he has not had the opportunity to prove he is a bust. He just needs a coach to give him the chance for some consistant ice time IMO.

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

We must be kindred spirits or something as I also laughed my a$$ off at the look on Flush's face. The prison shower reference just gave me another good laugh!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps are behind after the first because they played sloppy period, then boo. If they played well, then bummer, but not upset.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 10, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Phil, but who do you sit? Hendricks can play all 3 forward positions, PK and PP. Ditto Gordo as wing and center with PK. Brads is ok as a PK guy.

Those three guys are able to do much more than King. My opinion, King is able to forecheck and fight. The other guys bring much more to the table (less the fighting for Boyd that is).

Hendricks making the team kind of killed King getting any regular ice time.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I would love for Katie or another press person to ask BB what the deal is with King so far and how he would assess his play. To me it seems that his style doesn't work on our team, and that, like Steve_R said, Hendrick's play has put King on the backburner.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 10, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Steve_R,

While I do agree with you that those guys bring much more to the table you still can not let a guy sit five games straight and then expect him to come in and be on his game. And as far as I'm concerned King has brought as much to the team this year as Steckle has and yet Stecks is out there quite a lot! At this point Steckle should be around 300 lbs by season end from all the hot dogs and nachos he is consuming while WATCHING from the press box

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@zmega - your observations are right on point, but I'd take it a step further with our D. Sloan is not NHL-calibre even as a 7th or 8th defenseman. I'm still not sold on Alzer being more than a third pair defenseman as he's shaky with the puck and makes nervous, panicky plays in his own end. His whiff on the clear when the Caps had just about killed a 5-3 PP was a huge momentum swing.

Even with a healthy Poti (and that is a big if given his history of groin injuries), the Caps still need a tough, stay at home defenseman who can block shots and go against the other team's first line. It's simply unrealistic to ask Green to be our No. 1 defenseman, power play QB, and also be assignd w/ Schultz to cover stop the other teams top scorers. No way he can continue to be this effective playing 30+ minutes a game and BB should realize this now.

I'm of the camp that the Caps move Flash who is not a 2nd line center sooner than later and see if Laich can fill that role. If Laich isn't the guy, that's another position that will need to be filled if the Caps expect to make a long playoff run. You can't expect to beat teams like Pittsburgh, Philly, and Montreal is the playoffs with such a huge dropoff at center after Backstrom. Gordon, Steckel, and Hendricks are all fourth line centers (Gordon maybe on the third line if he's healthy).

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 10, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

King was here first, then they got Hendricks, so maybe Jimi took the role.

Some of you guys sure know a lot about prison showers!

Guess I am Sloan's only defender so let me say uncle on that one.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah tom, I watched that play a few times and it looks like Sloan looks up and goes "Oh sh%t" and then veers off to the left taking a weak chip at the puck. I think if boogie was coming at me full speed that would be my reaction as well but I'm not getting paid 800k per year to play the game and take that punishment!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

While Flush had the prison shower look on his face I didn't notice him struggle to much to get out of it, if anything he looked comfortable being pinned down :)

Posted by: bqts | November 10, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

if a 6'8 265 pound guy was skating at me full speed I may be a little nervous also.

Posted by: pkme | November 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Mike Green, on your uppercutting-dance with duhbinski! Your lessons this summer, are paying off. It certainly was a highlight of last night's game.

Posted by: Hattrik | November 10, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

If I were ranking the defence on this team, based on the past handful of games, I would have to say:

1. Green
2. Schultz
3. Erskine
4. Carlson
5. Alzner
6. Sloan

I will, however, contend that the only one who should not be in the NHL is Sloan. When Poti returns this team looks WAY better than last season on the back end, especially with the new and improved Mike Green.

Posted by: Aldred15 | November 10, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night and have the following thoughts:

1) The ice was not all that bad. It wasn't perfect bad it never is at MSG.

2) When I saw Greenie dropping the gloves for the first fight of the game, I thought we were in for a night full of fights. I thought the next shift for King would have been a real donnybrook, but neither he nor Boogs came close to dropping the gloves.

3) Neuvy seemed to only feel comfortable when making the unexpected saves. I am not as concerned with how the goals went in as I was in how he looked. Throughout the game, he never seemed to be able to "feel" the puck. There were a few times when there was a shot from the point right into his pads and he looked behind him, like he couldn't "feel" the puck hit him. He did not seem confident. I do think he got a little ticked off with the Boogs goal and I told my friend that I bet he doesn't let in another one. I consider it a "battled for the win" type of win.

4) The new Green is awesome, end of story.

5) During warmups, OV, Green, Carlson and Semin stayed on the ice a full minute after the warm up buzzer went off practicing a set up with OV in front of the net tipping in shots. Look for that alignment in the future.

6) I agree with BB in that I never felt they were not going to come back.

7) Was anyone else surprised that we had 1 goal in 14 shots for the 1st period and 4 goals on 9 shots for the last two periods combined?

That is all.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else read the NHL.com article on Green a few days ago? Maybe yesterday. Pretty much talks about what we've seen from him since the first game against Atlanta.

I think it's time to throw that offensive title out the window, and properly label him the two-way defender he really is.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 10, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

5. Alzner
6. Sloan

Posted by: Aldred15

I went to the Flyers game this past Sunday, and man, did Alzner look bad the first half of the game. His game slowly got better as the game went on, but he made a few glaring mistakes. I don't think I need to comment on the big bluff he made last night, I'm sure you guys have already discussed it at length. :)

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 10, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Let Alzner play, and see if he can settle in as a steady, get the basics right, NHL D-man, I'm glad the Caps seem to be doing that.
And maybe it's wrong, but I have little patience in a Dman that puts an "89" on his sweater,& then, is just average.

Posted by: Hattrik | November 10, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse