Posted at 8:42 AM ET, 11/23/2010

Boudreau looked to spark Caps' stars with line changes

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

Coach Bruce Boudreau moved Alex Ovechkin to a line with Marcus Johansson and Matt Bradley in the middle of Monday night's 5-0 loss to New Jersey when the game was already out of hand in the Devils' favor. Meanwhile, his linemates Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin played with Matt Hendricks for a brief time.

Ovechkin has not scored in four games and has just two goals in the past 11 contests and over the past three games Backstrom and Semin have just one goal a piece.

Boudreau said his decision to play Ovechkin, who said he expects change when the team is playing poorly, elsewhere wasn't a demotion but an attempt to spark some offense.

"I just didn't like the way that first line was going at all," Boudreau said. "So I mean, I had to break them up. They were not working. Outside of sitting all three of them....What you're hoping for is that if they get a goal all of the sudden it might turn it around for those guys because they're struggling."

FROM THE POST
If you missed it last night, check out my recap and post game blog entry of the Capitals' 5-0 loss to the Devils for more on the game and Washington's goaltending shuffle.

If you still haven't seen HBO's "24/7" preview, Dan Steinberg breaks down his six highlights.

AROUND THE WEB
Scott Burnside on the changing perception of Alexander Semin. (ESPN)

The Caps' ups and downs from the past week. (Japers' Rink)

As the title of the post on RMNB says, three and a half minutes of Alex Ovechkin dancing. (RMNB)

I'm en route to Raleigh and will have updates from RBC Center, where the Capitals are scheduled to practice at 1 p.m. this afternoon.

By Katie Carrera  | November 23, 2010; 8:42 AM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Morning Roundup, Nicklas Backstrom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals shut out for second time in three games, fall 5-0 to Devils
Next: Boudreau comments on Ovechkin's conversation after NJ loss

Comments

There's gonna be a fight in practice today.

Posted by: GFisher1 | November 23, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Players who are not living up to expectations

Ovechkin
Sloan
Fehr
Flash
Johannsen (sorta, though looking better every game)
Laich
Schultz

I do not count injured players.

BB needs to call a team practice that everyone who can walk must attend...run them ragged with a focus on SMART play...I feel like the Caps are not a thinking team. Following practice they need to have a lengthy team meeting focused on building back up morale (after a mean practice) and a new attitude towards smart play with a fire to win!

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Maybe all the players who "played" in the Atlanta and New Jersey games can donate the prorated porition of their salaries from those two games to a homeless shelter, food bank, battered woman's shelter, childerns hospital or a host of other worthy causes. How you can cash and keep money you stole from Ted and the fans is beyond me. Losing is one thing but coming out and not competing is a whole different issue-PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 23, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@Riddler

I mean I am upset too, but that is a little overboard. If every hockey player or professional athlete donated their salary for every game they didn't bring it...well charities would be set for years!

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

There was a good line of discussion going in the last thread. Why do we get useless updates that break up topics, and lose the entries submitted? How about we get updates like what happens at practice today or an update on the injuries to Green, Knuble, Poti, and Nuevy? Updates just to provide updates just causes people to repost things. Sorry, but some days it seems like there a tweets going on everywhere and the CI isn't updated. Then there are days when we get updates like this one. Anyone watching the game could deduce was BB was doing so this "update" provides zero information.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

The Caps have one of these stretches every season, usually on the West Coast swing, but this one is ridiculous.

The effort on the last two road games has been abyssmal. Not even professional. Pathetic.

I understand it's a long season, we got 60 games to go. Get your stuff together.

Embarrassing.

Posted by: saintex | November 23, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

While it doesn't surprise me to see "the usual suspects" on this list, it pains me to see Ovie and Brooksie included there. Johannsen is still a noob so he gets a pass from me. Ovie has ALWAYS managed to play through adversity and injuries so that makes me think there's something else going on here. Did someone piss him off? I don't know how else to explain it.

Posted by: AmyS1 | November 23, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Any idea what or how serious Green injury is? It wasn't talked about much last night (likely b/c of the 5-0 massacre)

Posted by: adamkatzen | November 23, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@Capscoach

Some expectations are on par or above, actually:

Sloan -- I am amazed he is playing in the NHL honestly. That's an EE for me (Exceeds Expectations).
Flash is still on the Cap's roster -- another EE for me. This guy is a decent 2nd line LW/RW for a rebuilding team, not for a Cup Contender.
Schultz -- He actually has picked up his physical game (he's no Stevens, not is Carlson, btw). His positional play is solid and he is a good 2nd pairing blueliner. Making him a top pair guy is a mistake by the management until the Caps get a legit shut-down blueliner to skate next to Green.
Fehr -- I am moving him to the trade block. He is way below where he needs to be.
Laich -- He will pick up his game when BB makes a legit shut-down 3rd line.
OV -- Yeah, he is off pace, but it's early and he tends to heat up later in the season.
Poti -- I did not expect him to be so injured.
Varly -- See Poti.
Holtby -- rushed into NHL play and it shows. He overplays, risks too much. He's a rookie. What can you say.
Erksine -- Better than last year, and good for a 6/7 dman.
Semin -- improving a lot
Backis -- Slow start due to injury, but improving
Green -- playing muc better defense'
Neuvy -- playing confidant and it shows

BB -- instituted a new system that when the team plays it, they tend to win; when they don't look out

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 23, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Another stinker. Bleh. Glad to see Sloan decided he couldnt play with the big boys and benched himself to save face. Cant blame him for the loss, but you can sure as he11 blame him for the one goal.

From what they were saying on tv, the reason Holtby got left in there was that Varly had played 2 games in a row already and they really really didnt want to just throw him out there. He was really just there in case Holtby got injured. I just hope BB told him during an intermission something like"hey kid we aint trying to haze you or nothing, but we got nobody to put in there...so just do what you can. If you want I can have Sloan dress in your pads during intermission...he's useless anyhow."

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I used to like when Halpern or Kono would call a player's only meeting. I miss those guys, and I wish that GMGM had been able to sign Halpie to 3rd line center. Gordo is a similar player when healthy on the ice, but not a lockerroom leader. I keep hoping that Laich will turn into the intense, mean you need to listen to me now player. I think the Caps miss a no bs leader. Knubs seems to be a bit of such a leader, but perhaps not enough or not vocal enough. Maybe a tough blueliner can fill that role in the lockerroom.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 23, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

My only comment is when you have a couple of 5-0 losses and (with one being to the Devils playing their back up goalie)then you have some cause for concern.

I don't think Boudreau is the guy to lead them to the Cup. I think he's a nice guy, and earned his chance for a shot in the NHL, but he's not the guy who can take us to the Cup.

We need someone who commands discipline from this team. There's too many guys just playing off talent vs. hard work. There's also some players who don't belong. Finally, we desperately need a second line center and as we all mentioned last year and the off-season - a solid crease clearing defenseman.

Some of the prospects/players need to go if the team is serious about winning a Cup now. Otherwise, expect more disappointment come play-offs.

Posted by: Jaymagz | November 23, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The year Carolina won the Cup they lost to Atlanta 9-0, Phoenix 8-4, Ottawa 6-2, Washington(who was horrible that year) 5-1, and Buffalo 4-0

Anaheim lost to St. Louis 6-2 but they and had a few 7-4 losses, but they did not have many 4 or 5 goal losses.

The year Detroit won the Cup they lost to Atlanta 5-1, Columbus 5-1, and Chicago 6-2.

The year the Pens won the Cup they got smashed multiple times, but I won't count that since they switched coaches late.

The year Chicago won they cup they lost 8-3 to Columbus and 5-1 to Vancouver.

The Flyers last year lost 8-2 to Washington, 6-1 to Pittsburgh, 7-4 to Ottawa, 4-0 to Toronto, 7-4 to Florida, 5-1 to Boston, and 5-2 to Atlanta. (all those bad losses coming after the coaching change)

Calm down people, bad losses happen. And as history has shown us, they often happen to teams who are not very good.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Sure is a lot of doom and gloom about a team that has one of the better records in the league.

All of this doesn't matter at all until April. Then, assuming they qualify for a playoff spot, will be the real test and this whole season will have been spent developing the younger guys and getting ready to make a run.

Already, some apparent shortcomings - no second line center as of yet; nobody outside of Green that presents any kind of offensive threat from the defense; goal tending that more often than not is just adequate - they don't have the ability to actually shut someone down.

Finally, get DJ King in a position to help - get him in shape or whatever but sitting him night after night can't be useful for him or the team.

Posted by: outrbnksm | November 23, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz -- You have a valid point. I was calling for BB's head early on with the lackluster efforts. Then I changed my tune as BB seemed to have changed his system and got his players to buy in. If this losing streak (I mean getting shelled for 5 goals a game, three in a row) continues with the porous defense, I'll be itching for Larry Robinson's agent's number.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 23, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

BB should be replaced. I said it after the playoffs and still stand by that view now.

Posted by: pkme | November 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3 -- Of course, teams had off nights, cup winners and pretenders. But the point is that 3 real dogs in a row -- that's a trend, not an off night. If the Caps cannot be consistently good, they can wilt in the playoffs, like last year. 3-1 over MTL and the Cap's vaunted offense disappeared. I am concerned that BB is not a consistent effort coach. Clearly, OV is in a slump and it seems too that the team is slumping with him. OV is an ice-play captain, not a get in your face leader. The Caps MAY need to get a mean assistant captain and a disciplairian coach if this trend continues. That's my point. 3 years with BB as coach has me seeing a guy who is not the best playoff coach out there. 1-3, just saying, with poor adaptation to the opponent's play.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 23, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The one thing that concerns me is OV looks disinterested of late. I barely recognize him out there. Perhaps he needs to concentrate more on leading this team than DJ'ing at Club Fur with Pauly D from the jersey shore.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | November 23, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS2

2 dogs in 3 games. The Philly game wasn't a badly played game.

If this sort of play continues for a month, then yes, a coaching change needs to be considered. Two bad games in a three game span is not enough.

The Caps do need to be consistently, absolutely. But they need to be consistently good in April, May and June. As we saw last year, just because you are consistently good in January does not mean you will be so in April. And the same holds true for the opposite. Just because you were not consistently good in January(or pick your month) does not mean you will be inconsistent in the playoffs.

There is no cause and effect there. If you are consistent or inconsistent in November or January does not cause you to be consistent or inconstent in April, May and June.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I was feeling really upset about the loss last night, and our play of late in general.

But, coming here and reading some of these posts is soothing.

Some of you guys are a bit out of touch with reality.

We have had a bad 3 game stretch, that happens, radical changes are not required when it happens.

We also are not showing the consistentcy, nor do we have all the pieces in place...IMO...to make a solid run for the Cup.

Meanwhile, we have a better record than every team in this league except Philly (tied at 30 pts).

Its a loooong way to the playoffs, and we are ON A FRIGGIN' COASTER, take a deep breath and hold on tight.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 23, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Eric Fehr might have a hard time ever being a consistent plus player in the NHL - granted he potentially may put up decent #'s if he's ever on the power play, but he is a signifcant liability defensively at even-strength. Just too damn slow.

And if he's not paired with Greenie, Schultz simply can't be out there against the other team's top line, it is just way too big a mismatch.

John Carlson, on the other hand, increasingly looks like the real deal - how that dude came out of last night's stinker at even +/-, while IIRC leading both teams in TOI, at over 27 mins - Holtby playing behind him - is beyond me.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 23, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

why all the concern? The Caps are rounding into playoff form

Posted by: wendel2 | November 23, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"Perhaps he needs to concentrate more on leading this team than DJ'ing at Club Fur with Pauly D from the jersey shore." - capsfansince74

Perhaps you should stop drinking so heavily, its clouding your judgement. What should he do to make you happy, throw beer on the opposing team or maybe nacho cheese?

Ovi is fine. Just cause he is not on a 100 goal pace people nitpick the guy. No matter what he does, someone will criticize him. Its gotta be tough to be pulled in so many directions to try and please everyone. I wonder how many Ovi naggers will rush out and buy an brand new Ovechkin jersey when he get playoff MVP and hoisting the cup.

Donde esta el pequeno pollo? We could use him after every Caps loss.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I question whether Fehr will ever be a consistent plus player at the NHL level - just too damn slow. And it is becoming increasingly apparent that, if he's not paired with Mike Green, no way Schultz should be on the #1 pairing. For the same reason, he just gets exposed by good forwards.

That said, how John Carlson managed to come out of last night's game in the even column is stunning, with Holtby having another stinker and leading both teams in TOI [over 27 mins, IIRC]. That kid is the real deal.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 23, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

I agree theres no reason to go overboard on Ovi yet, but I'd also say he's far from fine. He hasn't played even close to himself in about 10 games. Could he be banged up and no one is being told, sure. Who knows what exactly is going on, but I'd say his playing level isn't close to what it could be.

Posted by: ThePat | November 23, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, I thought the censors had nailed me.

I agree SAOTI, Ovie will be fine, he always is come playoff time. Not that averaging over a PPG is anything to sneeze at, anyway! And his playmaking's been outstanding, if Knuble had buried even half the golden chances he'd given him this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion for anyone but Grapes and his fellow Canuck haters.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 23, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Carlson was by far the best Caps player last night, but he did have extra motivation playing in front of his faimly friends in the Jersey area. That always helps.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Good point, sgm3 - although Natick, MA is quite proud of the young man as well, he's a player.

Btw, your boy [Alzner] has looked good of late also, he seems to make very good decisions, even under pressure. [Maybe McNabb could take notes. Sorry.] And Alzner looks much stronger than last year, from what I remember.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 23, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

And if you haven't read it already here is an article from Corey about a post game situation: http://www.csnwashington.com/11/23/10/Was-Ovechkin-Fraternizing-Out-Of-Line/landing.html?blockID=359000&feedID=6458

Posted by: ThePat | November 23, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ovi isn't a vocal leader in the locker room? How in the heck does anyone know that?

I coach a high school hockey team that has been relatively successful for a few years now. The expectations levied on these kids has been, in my opinion, unfair. I had parents and faculty members asking me what was wrong with the players when they didn't win, or worse yet, didn't win by as wide of a margin as OUTSIDERS though they should even though they completely missed the fact that I expanded the bench to give the lesser skilled players more ice time. I received lengthy emails about different line combos I should use, I was told that I should remove the "C" from my captain because he wasn't a leader. What the OUTSIDERS didn't know was that my Captain took it harder than everyone else. He not only talked to the team he talked one on one with players he felt needed extra encouragement and had the maturity to not rip them in front of the rest of the team. This is all 100% true.

My point? We have absolutely no idea what that team does in the locker room. If Ovi is a bad leader that won't, and shouldn't be discussed publicly. Someone mentioned that Kono and Halpy would have team only meetings, well this team has too, between periods. To observe things during a game and have suggestions in a cool forum like this is fine, but to act like any of us know what goes on in that locker room is goofy.

BTW, what the heck does Ovi doing a gig with Pualy D in early September have anything to do with November?

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Caps are 1-3 in game 7's all at home. Montreal showed the hockey world how to beat the Caps. Clog up the neutral zone and make them dump the puck. The Caps don't have the team that will win the puck battles. They continue to try and skate through 3 and 4 players to gain the zone.

There are too many passengers on this team. When players like Flash, Fehr and Laich aren't scoring they bring nothing to the table. Laich as been a minus player his entire career here except for last year. ( Just about everybody had a career year last year) That is a line we have now.

As for the makeup of this team, GMGM iced a team this year (we are suppose to be a contender. Last year was a fluke....right???) that consists of a 2nd line center (19 years old to boot) who has never played a game of North American hockey, a converted winger as a center, 2 rookie d-men, 2 very young goalies (One who is injury prone)and no depth on defense.

Where you have to be strong (Down the middle) we are weak. Defense, weak. Goal tending will be a crap shoot. Will Varly stay healthy? (So far in his career, no) Can Nuevy handle the rigors of 60 to 65 games? Can the defense play decent, so far no and I don't expect it to.

As for the Captain, we don't have one. I love Ovie, but when the coach issues his "Optional practices" (I guess he has more commercials to film) he should be the first one on the ice, but he, along with Backstrom, Semin and Green are the first 4 to skip it. Lead by example Ovie, don't let Hendricks, Bradley and Erskine set the tone and try to lift the team, that is your job.

This team lacks leadership. It lacks top line players that will do whatever it takes to win. As much as I hate Crosby, he eats, sleeps and breaths the game. Terrible at faceoffs, take all offseason to work on it. Can't score goals, works on shot and nets 51. Team lacking energy (Drops the gloves)and commits himself to be better defensively. As for Ovie, he continues to float in the neutral zone, continues with the same moves since he's been in the league and he doesn't show the passion that leadership is all about.

Ted ups the price on my season tickets, fields a worse team then last year and tells me it's a long season. What is happening with this team is a trend, in every game except two, they have just fell asleep for atleast one period, they are getting outworked and playing lazy hockey. Look at the playoffs against the Canadians and see how we are playing the same way this year. Teams have us figured out and adjustments aren't being made.

Winning hides uglyness and it's been ugly in our wins. Ted needs to wakeup. As RJ said, "They (The Caps) play wrong."

Posted by: themightyzep2000 | November 23, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I walk through the bar this morning and there's passed out bodies and empty goblets of goat's blood everywhere! Meanwhile the jugs of Kool-Aid are still full!

As for that story about Ovi, I guess someone needs to explain to him about that. Sometimes a person joking at the wrong time can really rub others the wrong way. Ovi is happy-go-lucky and maybe it just doesn't occur to him that BB would be so steamed.

I think at this point the best thing the Caps could do would be to hire Ovechkin's mother as Asst Head Coach. I have a feeling even not speaking English she would get them to play the right way. And if the head coach got in her way she's push him around too. Maybe tell him he should "read some books."

And Sloan...it seems like half the goals the team gives up are with Sloan out of position. The Tyler Sloan Era in DC needs to end sooner rather than later.

Does Leonsis always travel with the club?

Changes are needed. Something.

As for Ovechkin, many have commented, but I've never seen him look so ordinary. If he had switched jerseys with Bradley before last night's game we would be asking why Brads looked so awful. That about sums that up.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 23, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Superstars are clearly not allowed to be happy, immediately after being crushed (and shutout!), when they are not playing up to their standards, and especially not with a member of the team that just crushed them.

COUNTRYMEN OR NOT!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 23, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

Ted travels when his schedule permits, which is rarely until the playoffs. Yesterday he had meetings in NYC so he was there at the game.

Posted by: ThePat | November 23, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

As I said in an earlier thread, I believe Ovi's Mom will be coming over soon. He's in a little slump and the team reacts to his pulse. His Mom will give him the home cooking and refuge he needs to get back on track. Sometimes all you need is to spend some time with you that is with you for you, not for what you bring to them. Althletes are no different.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock - it was after a home game vs Atlanta on October 23rd. I realize the guy is young and rich and probably likes to get tanked, but at some point you have to become a leader of this team on and off the ice. Laughing it up with Kovalchuk next to BB doing his post game presser after they just got destroyed and embarrased by the devils is pretty much crap as well.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | November 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@Timbo_1

I think Alzner and Carlson will be the Caps most reliable pair of defensemen come April. Alzner almost always seems to be in the right position and makes the safe and correct play. Carlson provides more of the rush up the ice and more of the offense.

Some people here compare Alzner to Schulz, but the comparison lacks little merit as Alzner is a quite mobile and has pretty good stick skills too. He is much better than Schulz in those aspect of the game.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@tom

As we have nicknames for everyone and every group here, please do not try to exclude Sloan. His codename on here has been determined to be "Esskay". Please use it.

Thanks, The mgmt.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock
Unbelievably stupid comment! Based on this statement every fan of every sport that supports a team that doesn't win the World Series, Superbowl, NBA championship, Stanley Cup, or any other title is an idiot to support their team. I've heard it all now. Jack A of the year award goes to.........slurpeesarecool.
Reading comprehension fail?
Hmm, because I sure didn't mention anything about winning the Cup. I was just highlighting the IDENTITY the Caps have. To further expand on that...this is how the Caps roll and will keep on rolling as long as Boudreau is here

BLOWOUT
falter
TANK
rebound
BLOWOUT
repeat until playoffs.
In playoffs, play until Game 6, then choke away game 7 of series.

Once again, ONE Caps fan show how he is dumber than Leafs and Canucks fans.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | November 23, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

See Andrew Gordon is second in the AHL in scoring with 25 points. Maybe it time to send some of the boys down to the AHL for some conditioning so they remember how good they have it. The Bears have only four games in five nights starting tomorrow night.

Posted by: dull | November 23, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

sorry capsfansince74 I don't agree. Kovy and Ovi are good friends and only cross paths a few times a season. If the players took every loss like it was a game 7 loss they would be in a straight jacket. I know others will disagree with me strongly, and that's fine, but I see no harm in Ovi and Kovy talking. Where were they going to go? Outside of the press area? In one of the locker rooms? Other players were dressed and ready to go because they didn't have to do a post-game interview.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI -can you please explain the Esskay nickname? I'm just not getting it.

I've had my coffee today but am still not able to figure it out.

I know, i'll have to join the doofus brigade.

Posted by: jwash4472 | November 23, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

BB is in over his head. he has never held anyone accountable and won't start now. meanwhile, the Caps "captain" is busy yukking it up with the great Kovalsuck after the game. I sure they are comparing notes on their paychecks. BB, do us a favor, sit OV. maybe you can deflate his HUGE ego just a bit.

funny stuff, peeps.

Posted by: doughless | November 23, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

1 of two things needs to happen

I need to be told that OV is nursing an injury or BB and GMGM need to call the kid out! Even if he had 15 goals he is still not playing well.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

I wonder if you hold yourself to the same standards you hold the people on this team to...because sometimes(most of the time) they seem really steep!

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I just have this picture of a podium at center ice there at the practice rink with Mrs Ovechkina atop the podium.

Whistle in one hand a bullwhip in the other.

Maybe she can use the old "Soviet ways" to get the boys back in shape. You don't play well - you lose your car and apartment.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 23, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If this keeps up Gabby will get the hook. Can't fire the players. They are all pretty full of themselves. But...netter now than later. You almost had to expect this after last years exit form Playoffs

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 23, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 23, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@ jwash4472

Np bro...and this is a relatively new nickname (mostly used by myself, bqts, and a couple others) so there will be no D.B. assignments.

We all like to pick on T Sloan and his amazing knack for being a healthy scratch for $700k a year and enjoying most of the games from the press box and noshing on hot dogs, nachos, and popcorn. We think he even has a customized la-z-boy up there. Anyways, due to poor GMing, Sloan is forced to be active on this roster most of this season. So we like to make jokes that the hot dog and nacho market have been taking a hit. Esskay, is a brand of hot dog, as well as the dog of choice when the Verizon Center does their dollar dog night...which I have heard Sloan likes to spend a big chunk of his nightly salary that night on them. Ergo a long winded response...Tyler Sloan should be eating hot dogs in the stands and so we call him Esskay in honor of that.

=)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

My response to you slurpeesarecool was based on this post:

As an deserter, I can only laugh at the Caps now, and I'm lovin' it. Look on the dark side, so long as Boudreau keeps on winning, you'll keep on having him. Your fellow fans don't know hockey and will keep on filling the seats at Verizon like drunk dogs.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | November 22, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

What did I fail to comprehend? You are basically saying that Caps fans are blind idiots for going to Verizon as long as BB is coach because he posts some wins. How does that make Caps fans any less intelligent than other fans whose teams don't win championships? Dude, many of us Caps fans have been in the stadium regardless of where the Caps have finished. Yup, us idiots were there when the Caps finished 14th in the Conference two years in a row.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Did the caps even show up last night? If not for Holtby making some ridiculous saves on several odd man rushes that game could have easily been 10 to 0. I realize that its not game 7, but it was embarrassing. I guess we can just agree to disagree on how he should behave after the games.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | November 23, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

capscoach:

what is so "steep" about a coach being expected to manage his players and the "captain" actually trying to be a leader?? i guess in your world shoddy play on the ice and acting like a 5-0 drubbing to one of the worst teams in the NHL right now are reasons to hang with your countryman and catch up on old times. maybe they were planning how they will both be spending their time in Russia while watching other teams play in the playoffs.

the excuses being made here for terrible play are just amazing.

Posted by: doughless | November 23, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

George McPhee is 100% to blame, he "built" this team and really handcuffed the whole organization.

Boudreau might not be the answer but his numbers do not lie, guy has best winning percentage since he took over.

What good will it be if Ken Hitchcock gets lured into DC ?
Anyone recall Hitchcock turning down the job ? The reason is McPhee.

Player problems aside, The Caps will Never win the Cup with McPhee around.

Enjoy the regular season. (Hopefully)

Posted by: LarryDavid | November 23, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Actually, it was 14th in the Conference 3 seasons in a row. I forgot to include the salary dump prior to the end of the season before the lockout.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The Flyers lost to Tampa Bay 8-7? and bounced back to beat the Caps and Montreal. This is a perfect test and wake up call. They'll turn it around. Rather it happen now than at the end of the season.

Posted by: cappies | November 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

what I am saying is that EVERY time things go bad for the Caps we can count on you to talk about no one being responsible, but BB has been shifting lines, benching players, he said ovie to the third line was not a demotion but it was. It is easier to listen and contemplate the negative only if you also acknowledge the good.

And if you had read my last few posts you would see that I have not been satisfied at all with OV. BB is doing fine with the what he has...Sloan on his D, Poti injured, Nuevy injured, and GMGM not spending any money on what we need.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"Capitals fans should expect to see Semin return to Washington for perhaps two seasons, probably for $8 million a season. Capitals GM George McPhee likely won’t offer anything more"

That's way too high...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 23, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"$8 million a season"

That's way too funny....

Posted by: LarryDavid | November 23, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN ...the Caps will lose again this season. mark my words they will lose another game maybe even more than 1 .just a warning so you can have that ledge picked out in advance.i dont want you all to have to scramble when they lose again to find somewhere to jump from .

Posted by: heathdog1119 | November 23, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@themightyzep2000

great post, well said...

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 23, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow, so bad, even LtCol LarryDavid showed up.

The Doofus Brigade, ladies and gentlemen, is on the attack!

So where's Col Cheef?

Yes, $8M too much for Semin. We've exhausted the numbers.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 23, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@heathdog1119

come on...I mean I am almost always finding positives in the Caps play or putting things into perspective when things go bad...but being shut out 2 out of 3 games one by a truly terrible team!

And you can't honestly think Ovie is playing ok...I mean I don't panic when he goes a few games without scoring...what concerns me is the fact that he is not bulldozing through players, fighting to get to the puck, he can't seem to hold onto the puck, and management is not even acknowledging this.

Of course the Caps are going to lose games...I just wish they would start putting up more of a fight and play smarter.

The talent is there and I think they will figure it out, but as a long time fan...I am allowed to vent my frustrations every now and again.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@Tom

"As for Ovi laughing...jocularity when your boss is in a foul mood is NEVER recommended. Anyone disagree?"

definitely agree...and I think it was just rude...find another spot to catch up.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Why do we not have any info on practice yet...whats the official statement on Green and whoever else got hurt in that game?

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach
practice doesnt start till 1 or 130 down in Raleigh.

Posted by: ThePat | November 23, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:

Capscoach, who thought she was drinking the koolaid, accidentally had one of SAOTI's goat bombs this morning and is showing dark sider tendancies. All koolaiders beware as SAOTI is said to be spiking many of your koolaid containers!

Posted by: PhilR | November 23, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"You guys are truly ridiculous.

1. We are tied for first in the East with 30 points!!! Sure, this has been a horrid week, but it happens. Look at the Blues they've been struggling after a hot start. Pens started slow. Look at Chicago they're playing mediocre. Over-Reacting taken to the max!"

-------
so i'm guessing all you want this year is the president's trophy......... how did all those points help us in the playoffs last year??

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ans sorry capscoach bu i have got to disagree with your statement that BB is doign fine with what he has. It is his job to hold these players accountable no matter who they are and if they are not playing the correct way to force those corrections or they sit. I have never seen this from BB when it comes to any of the "stars" and don't think I ever will which is the reason I have said from the end of last year that change at that position is needed. I know many on here disagree with me on this but I just don't see BB as a Cup winning coach, he is too stubborn about his "system" and too soft on his "stars."

Posted by: PhilR | November 23, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

As long as the Caps finish high enough during this 82 game exhibition season to make it to the real season, I'll be happy.

Posted by: eric22 | November 23, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

Whats with all these people taking our wonderous goat elixir.

So even thoough Esskay got a jesery last night he still found away to make it to the cart last night.

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 23, 2010 9:01 AM

I hope you're not posting from work. And I hope you don't do anything but work when you're at your job. Otherwise, you should donate the money you are making during that time to charities, by your logic.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | November 23, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 |

So losing 5-0 last night will make the Caps unable to win in the playoffs this year? That will be the cause?

No, if playing well in the regular season has no benefit, then playing poorly in the regular season has no detriment. As long as you make the playoffs, how you play in the regular season is meaningless.

All that matters is how they play in April, May and June. None of us KNOW how they will play then. We can project, but none of us know. We will have to wait and see.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

you can make a decent argument based on the playoffs that BB is not playoff material, but the play right now I think has a lot more to do with a shallow defensive core, and the players attitude...and yes I know that many hold BB responsible for players attitudes.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys hear ....The sky is falling...The sky is falling.....
because every year there are teams that go 82-0 and beat every team by at least 3 goals.
Simmer down people before you give yourselves a heart attack.

Posted by: jotay131 | November 23, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

So I was made fun of a couple of weeks ago when I pointed out how the juice is doing on the island compared to Esskay .....

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

sgm: this team has no killer instinct. period. other team's seem to get a lot better in the playoffs but for the caps it's like the opposite... (see montreal, philly, boston)

well i could look at it this way: i'd rather have an average regular season to have more success in the playoffs. but losing 5-0 to atl and nj doesn't make me feel good. i sure hope the bad habits won't carry over, like poor first periods and falling behind many goals because if that happens in the playoffs there's surely no comeback.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It's the regular season. You can't get too high or too low. The regular season should be used to improve overall team play, not to get the win at all costs. One of the problems I have with BB is that he panics when the team is losing a regular season game and switches everything. He seems to think riding the stars for the win is more important than letting the team work through their issues. That's what the regular season is for. For all the pixels given to "Ovi being demoted to the third line" because of his "poor play" he played 23 minutes, 4 minutes more than the next forward. (FTR-I thought Ovi played well last night)

The reason the Caps lost last night is Holtby. He's has less than 5 NHL games and not even a season worth of AHL games; he shouldn't be expected to carry this team. Three goals in a short span can be deflating for a team. Then BB switching the lines every shift didn't help.

I hope GMGM sees the holes that need to be filled. Depth at D and goalie are the most obvious, IMO. There's nothing wrong with sending Neuvy or Varly to Hershey with Holtby.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 23, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

I was chewed out for wanting to sign Juice at the end of last season...we could use him right now.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Um, bqts, Juice has been out of the line-up, injured. He has played in a total of 10 games. Both of his goals, they were scored in the same game. Jurcina is a nice guy but he wasn't the answer either.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

rachel: Boston blew a 3-0 lead in games last year against Philly. Then when Philly pushed it to a game 7 the Bruins had 3-0 only to lose. If we are going to come up with examples of teams with killer instincts let's at least do some research.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@ fanohock1

And Esskay is the answer ??? Really. I take Juice injured over Esskay on the ice any day.

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The year Chicago won they cup they lost 8-3 to Columbus and 5-1 to Vancouver.

----------------

LOL is that the best you could come up with?

1. Those are NO where near as bad as TWO 5-0 whitewaches against two of the worst teams in the league in less than a week.

2. Vancouver is a playoff team

3. Philly was horrible after the coaching change last year and why is that comparable to what's been happening with this team right now??

Posted by: joek443 | November 23, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

$8 mil a season for Semin is just asinine. No other NHL team would come anywhere near that number for him -- the enigma.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 23, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Also those two losses by Chicago last year didn't happen in less than a week, did it???????

Posted by: joek443 | November 23, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

well said themightyzep2000.

it's not like this team went to the conference finals. they have played 4 playoffs series and every single one went to game 7..and they lost 3 of the 4. this team doesn't get a pass for a game like last night... they are developing bad habits like not working hard, having no killer instinct, going MIA in the first period... these things are going to bite them in the playoffs where the other team's defense clamps down. and we got shut out by ondrej pavelec and johan hedberg? are we going to hear "we ran into a hot goalie"" again this postseason?

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

People, people, people. Obviously there is something off, but it is by no means time to throw out the baby or ask anyone to donate a portion of their game check. I love this team and don't want to see any drastic moves made-- other than maybe bringing up Mathieu Perreault and keeping him up.

Posted by: ljo211 | November 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The year Chicago won they cup they lost 8-3 to Columbus and 5-1 to Vancouver.

What does this have anything to do with what we're talking about? You can't compare the Caps to the Blackhawks... they are the stanley cup champions.. the caps haven't even reached the 3rd round. chicago knows how to play in the playoffs, the caps don't. they have proved it.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@ljo211

I wouldn't mind calling up Matty for a while, but he did not look very good after the frist two games last time he visited...he gets thrown off the puck really easily.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sloan is making $700K and Jurcina is making $1mil. Sloan was supposed to be our 7th defenseman. Are you fans really that new to the Caps. Jurcina played here and was the whipping boy except for some of his big hits. Do you all forget the play in the Pens series where Jurcina had the puck under him and he blindly through the puck, with his hand, to the slot, and the Pens buried it. Sorry, Sloan isn't the major problem, and Jurcina never was and never will be the solution.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

fanohock: nice job misinterpreting what i was trying to say.............. I said teams (such as boston, philly, montreal) ALL played better in the playoffs than they did in the regular season.

so maybe you should try to understand what i was trying to say before you jump all over me with "you should do your research."

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

rachel, that example come in response to an earlier post where someone asked if their was an eventual Stanley Cup Champion that played as poorly during that season as the Caps have over the last 3 games. That's why the Hawks were used in an example.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess the fans are also going to be fighting after a rough game...who was it that called a fight in practice today?

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

That would have been a much better story had you heard OV say loudly "BOOM!" as Boudreau was in the middle of his presser.

Posted by: kkd76 | November 23, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

green is practicing today. sloan and neuvy aren't plus laich is playing on D

Posted by: _stevo | November 23, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@ fanohock1

Never said he was the solution never even tried to imply he was. The solution starts with changing GMGM's mind set, we don't have what is needed to get to the conference finals. Also I don't think a coaching change is needed, I think a new set of balls maybe needed. Bench Ovie to start, don't even dress him and make it clear to the team, I don't care who you are or how much you make, if you don't want to play don't take the spot of someone who wants to play. And then tell the press call him and the whole team out big time.

1 of two things will happen, either the team responds or BB gets the can. At this stage whats the risk, if he dosen't get their attention he gets the can anyway.

Still think Ted dropped the ball, he could have canned GMGM and brought in Stevie ....... look at the moves and changes going on down their.

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Caps practice update

Line combos
8-19-26
14-90-28
25-15-16
17-39-10

Laich on D (Not the depth I was looking for)

Neuvirth and Sloan missing. Neuvy having a Varly "maintenance day".

Posted by: ablake70 | November 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Carolina lost 9-0 to Atlanta the year it won the Cup.

@rachel126

joek443 asked if Cup winning teams have ever been blown out before by mediocore teams during the regular season. I was just pointing out that they had.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's what you said Rachel. Maybe you should type what you mean. You implied that montreal, philly, and boston have a killer instinct that the Capitals lack because they get a lot better in the playoffs. Well, Boston did not have a killer instinct last year in the playoffs.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@ablake

sorry buddy to put that loss on Holtby is wrong. He had zero chance on the first goal. The second goal he over played and then got taken out by his own guy. The third goal was a penalty shot. Our whole team was flat in front of Holtby. They were flat the whole game, if it wasnt for Holtby the game could have been 10-0. He had a handful of superb saves. Now the Atlanta game you can put on Holtby and Holtby himself said that.

Posted by: ThePat | November 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

It still doesn't matter... and it shouldn't be compared because Chicago has a Stanley Cup. Until this team proves they can win a series in less than 7 and even then they can't be compared to the Hawks. But i'm not going to argue anymore.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Why is Laich on D...poor guy is switching positions every game!

and is Green practicing? Maybe if Hendricks plays with Ovie he can clear some space for the Gr8!

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, but there is a period between the two sentences. Seems clear to me. I was addressing sgm's points.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

And no it wasn't all on Holtby.. god.. don't hold the players accountable and put it all on Holtby. Was he good? No. His teammates were probably worse. but it doesn't matter anyway because the team scored a total of zero goals in his two games. so he wouldn't of won anyway.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

It was Thanksgiving week, so I figured I would share my tasty bombs.

@bqts
They are tasty...so why not let others enjoy them?

As for Sloan not being on the ice today...I heard he ruptured his stomach inhaling hot dogs in the locker room at the 1:16 mark of the first period until the final buzzer. When asked about his binge he simply replied "Top that Kobyashi". Then fell over.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

bqts: Agree, I wish GMGM would have acquired that D man we all know we need. I also believe he assumed Sloan would be a fill in when players needed a break.

Every team in this salary cap era has their Sloan's. When you get 7 deep on D that's what you get. There is still cap room to bring a player in even without a deal at the deadline, and if players that have some salary to their names like Flash can be traded, they can acquire another. Right now a lot of teams are dealing with injuries, plus, besides depth players, most trades don't happen until at least mid-season unless there is a personality issue because every team is still being optimistic about their potential of making the playoffs. Once reality sets in for some teams they will begin trading. Unfortunately a lot of the bottom feeders will opt to take high draft picks instead of trading players because they want to rebuild, not take on salary. Now, Flash is on a one year deal so he won't be too hard to trade if a team wants to see what he can do down the stretch for them in their system.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: After Sloan's play in the first I think Sloan got injured because BB "punch(ed) him in the face."

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

I was wondering if you had over consumed and passed out in the corner some where, too much of that elixir can be dangerous :)

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

Followed by the phrase "and I defend you why?"

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

this thought just struck me:
as much fun as it was to read the Devils' fans comments before yesterday's game (which trust me, I enjoyed my fair share thanks to the Fire & Ice link)...
they are probably having much more fun reading this today (if they do).

in any event, 20 games into the season is a good opportunity for a self-assessment. There's been positives and negatives. I just hope the next 20 show improvement and that it continues into the postseason.

Posted by: PSD1 | November 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@Fanhock

nah! BB and the team probably just had his pre-game meal poisoned!

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I don't Holtby should hang up his pads, but he's not ready yet. The first goal wasn't on him, double deflection, but I thought the other 4 were. Even the penalty shot. Do you think Erskine, ERSKINE, would have tried to make that play if he had more confidence in the goalie?

The commentators, bloggers, and even Erskine claimed the game would have been 10-0 without Holtby's great play, but I thought that because he talked to media after the loss and they don't want him to lose confidence. Holtby faced 23 shots the entire game. He was too aggressive and got caught out of position too often. Sloan ran over him because he was out of position trying to play the puck. Had that been Theo or Varly, the poor goalie play would have been the only topic of discussion after last night.

Holtby made a few good stops, but that's what goalies are supposed to do. He's young, he needs time to develop.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 23, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

For those that don't know, if you sit anywhere near section 430 you will hear SAOTI yell "punch him in the face." That's why I directed that towards SAOTI, and why he probably laughed when he read it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 23, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@ablake

I know hes young and needs time. But to pin the loss on him like you said I dont agree with.

@SAOTI

If you watched BB postgame he wasnt happy with Sloan at all. He said no reason to even go near Holtby when Erskine was over there behing Arnott. He wasnt pleased.

Posted by: ThePat | November 23, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I agree Holtby's positioning has been horrible the past two games and it is apparent he needs more seasoning in Hershey. (I think I was criticized for saying this a few weeks ago)

It says nothing about his potential and he looks like he will be a good NHL goalie. But he is young and has things to improve upon. He is definitely not a goalie you want to rely upon this year.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@ fanohock1 & SAOTI

I can be heard in 115 screaming "Get back on the bench, NOW"

Actually we take bets on what happens first Green tea bags the blue line or Esskay leaves for his Esskay ?

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

Close...office going away party. Was over eating to sober up from the g-bombs.

@fanohock1

Yep, I laughed.

@PhilR
Yeah, I saw that...and so glad he finally opened his eyes to the same painful sight the rest of us have seen this season, and that is #89 sitting on the bench with a jersey.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat

I'll agree. He shouldn't take full blame for the loss, but I'd say 70% is on him. He certainly didn't keep them in it as some claim. They still needed to score goals, though.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Just read the http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Did-Ovechkin-Semin-cross-line-with-postgame-Kov?urn=nhl-288487

What a joke. Disgraceful. Embarassment.

You're paying this guy the top salary in the league and he's more concerned about being buddy buddy with the opposition after a humiliating loss.

What excuse do you fans have now for him?

I'll get to that next post.

What a clown this OV character is. Best player in the world? Please, don't even mention this loser as top 10 material anymore.

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to take cindy out to the wood shed today ?

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Laich is the guy they use on defense, in practice, when they are short defensemen.

GM: "Well, we can call up Fahey."
BB: "No."
GM: "Hopefully Sloan is ready then."
BB: "Really?"
GM: "Hear what Milbury says about Ovi luaghing?"
BB: "No."
GM: "He's calling it, 'Chuckle-gate.'"
BB: "Oh."
GM: "By the way, happy anniversary."
BB: "Thanks. Do I rate a present? Can I get a new defenseman?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@BigGameSid

That has already been discussed. None of us care anymore. But thanks for the belated heads up, it's much appreciated.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The Pens troll has crawled out from under her rock now that the Caps have had a few bad games. She will, of course, crawl back under the rock when things turn for the better for the Caps. She is not woman enough to say anything here when the Pens are in a slump. She is just a prissy little girl, like her namesake.

Posted by: zmega | November 23, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

According to Vogel, BB doing a modified bag skate. From his tweets, looks like BB skated them hard for the first 20 minutes. They added some pucks but are still skating hard.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you mean he was talking to a friend after a loss in a regular season game. Pssh, package him up and trade him for a couple picks stat.

Honestly, big whoopty doo. So being mopey and pouty like Cindy C is fan approved?

Losses happen, and with that, bad losses happen. And if this was an elimination game, I'd probably be singing a different tune. But it wasnt, so relax a bit.

P.S. I've played many different sports and have won and lost. I've had friends on the opposition and almost every time (win or lose) I am joking with my buddy afterwards whether it is "dude we just OWNED you" or "man I thought we were friends but then you just brutalized me like that". Maybe not the best thing to do in front of a coach, but meh.

P.S.S. And joking with an opposing player never happens in any sport or by any respectable player. No, you dont see that in the NFL...ever. Psssssssh

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The wraparound goal was not on Holtby. Four Caps like the Keystone Cops were chasing Arnott. Sloan specifically moved out of position (he should have covered the far post, the one that was wrapped around) to skate across the crease and block Holtby. That's how I saw. The first goal, a double deflection, the Jersey announcers said bounced off Elias' elbow. As such, should it have counted? It was just a bad night. A stinker.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 23, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

I had no problem with the talking...just thought it was rude and a little insensitive to do it next to your already pretty mad coach as he is about to talk to the press :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I thought it was partially Holtby's fault. He was too far out of the net. Being aggressive is good, but we was too far out of the net.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 23, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

thanks...that article made me feel a bit better.

Posted by: capscoach | November 23, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I thought Holtby overcommitted on the wrap around goal. All he had to do was stay tall and tight to the post, and keep his eye on the play behind the net.

That however does not dismiss that fact that, out of position or not, Sloan gave him zero chance to recover.

And on the other Arnott goal, he seemed to sit still forever waiting for something to happen. He didnt seem to be looking for the puck or even thinking about sliding to his left. The net was gaping for Arnott.

...just how I saw it.

I think he needs some coaching, in Hershey. But of course is still a decent prospect, just not quite on par YET with the others.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 23, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@tom

I read somewhere that on that wrap around goal, Arnott burped (having consumed some bratwurst pre-game) and Sloan caught a wiff and raced off to ask where he might pick up some of those wonderful smelling tasties. So he wasnt really out of position, but more like really really wanted either a recipe or a store location.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Didn't BB push Ovie down to the 3rd line last night so, he does punish the star when not doing well. These last few games aren't the end of the world. If should show the team what happens when you don't show up and don't play hard.
When Holtby gets demoted to Hershey (he needs the work), Sloan should drive him and not come back.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 23, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW, it appears that the Caps pulled BB's post game interview from the website (or maybe it's just my computer). I guess the Caps really didn't like the Gr8 yucking it up with 17.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I was not able to attend the Caps practice today, but if I was a betting man, I'd guess Katie's interview with BB went something like this today:

Katie: So coach, I notice you have a lot cones set up out on the ice today. Are you running some new drills or maybe punishing the boys a bit for the sloppy play of late?

Bruce: No no Katie, we are trying out some likely replacements for Sloan. I mean, it's not like they could be any worse right?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I've always said Ovie was not a good captain.

And I have always said winning 60 games in the regular season means NOTHING.

Glad some of you are finally seeing it my way...

We have to shoot for 1 thing..THE CUP!

Trade 1/2 of hershey if you need to, Calder Cups don't matter...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 23, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"Calder Cups don't matter..." - SoaringCaps

Oh yeah, trying convincing the guy with "Calder" on the back of his jersey that.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Semin...I was saying that Calder Cups SHOULDN'T matter to the caps organization.

Meaning, stop hording all the fringe players who can't make the caps, but could make other teams and make some deals...

Keith Aucoin- SEE YA
Perrault- SEE YA
Gordon- SEE YA!

Either call these guys up, or send them packing.

Fehr, Fleishman, Sloan, King...SEE YA!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@Soaring

I knew what you meant, I was making an attempt at a joke. Apparently it wasnt as obvious as I had hoped.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@ SoaringCaps

Outstanding idea ,,,,,,,,,,, when you taking over from GMGM

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

That Masisak seems to be all over the Caps. Good info from that guy.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 23, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps

brilliant idea

Posted by: _stevo | November 23, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Man, people are touchy in here today!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 23, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@ PhilR

Can you blame them, Esskay eat more than his share last night and even tried to force a few down Holtby's neck as well

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing BB has a hard practice today, Varly is in net tomorrow and the Caps make Carolina the bill for the poor week.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 23, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Of course they are. Apparently our season is over already and Ovie's prime has been wasted, he is but a mere image of what he used to be. Bah, stupid Caps. The horror...the horror.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

if i wasn't so drunk on kool-aid - i'd say most of you are over reacting. it's nice to sit here in my stupor and be happy while others are miserable.

Oh, Yeaahh!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 23, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

NHL goalies stop the puck, and even save some they shouldn't: consecutive games of 3 goals on 5 shots and 5 on 23 (!) is just not NHL-level play. We can make excuses all we want - and if Knuble had buried half his golden chances this year, Ovie would have 35 points already - but that's simply nowhere near where an NHL goalie needs to be [90% or better].

I realize he's media savvy, but when it comes to stopping the puck Holtby is clearly not ready for the NHL.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 23, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@ Capt_Kirk_in_AZ & SAOTI

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!! Laughed so hard for the first time today. Awesome can always count on you guy confirming it is a train coming down the tunnel.

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were goin' all the way. Kurtz got off the boat......

Posted by: bqts | November 23, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

holtby definitely needs some time with hershey. i think another problem is that holtby will play the puck (much more so than varly or neuvy) and the d are not in synch with him. if holtby can and will play the puck - the d needs to learn and in turn play the stick or the man. holtby's style can work - but it will take some time for them to get a 'feel' for each other.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 23, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Let's be honest sgm3, we all KNOW. We have seen how this movie ends.

Let's not wait and see, let's do something about it. This team had their chance. OV is too comfortable. The best thing to do is make a blockbuster trade, and bring in someone that can make things uncomfortable. Bye-bye Semin.

Remember all the problems Richards/Pronger had in the beginning of last year? Richards contemplated giving up his captaincy.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 23, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

i think i'm just frustrated because it seems like we haven't learned much from last year.

Last year we were a high scoring, high flying team with all these points, yay team!

But we lacked killer instinct. We thought it didn't matter that we didn't show up for the whole game it only mattered that we end up with at least one more goal than the other team.

Then in the playoffs are lack of killer instinct reared its ugly head. all our weaknesses were exposed.

And the reason i'm frustrated is because i see it happening all over again and this time we know what the results will be if you don't change our team mindset.

i know it's just the regular season but i truly believe that this "trend" is because we're still not making the proper adjustments when needed. and that doesn't bode well for the playoffs this year.

wasn't it last year when BB stopped tinkering with the lines that we actually started playing better as a team? it certainly not good for the players to always have to adjust to new linemates.

i don't know the answer and i'm not saying blow up the team. i just want a team that takes pride in winning and consistency and effort. i remember when BB did take over and we start flying and competing our butts off and look what we accomplished. we made the playoffs when we are almost mathematically eliminated.

what happened to that team mentality?

Posted by: natresgroup | November 23, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

best hockey fight i ever saw was Scott Stevens vs. Bobby Nystrom when he was just an 18yr rookie and i was a 14yr 9th grader...two years later, working at a gas station, Gaetan Duchesne, Greg Adams, and Lou Franceschetti were all regulars and I spoke with them frequently. Man, the stories they shared (previous games, fights and animosity, and plans for retribution.....I once asked Gaetan to tell Stevens to pummel Duane Sutter for something that happend and, sure enough, it happened; thats Caps hockey!!!)....I remember watching Mike Gartner fight Dave Brown,and i mean fighting, not like Semin's "fights." 5-0 blowouts to Atl. and NJ, and no team response, is DISCONCERTING to say the least. We lack heart, passion, and determination; we need someone like Danny Carcillo to mix things up and introduce a little emotion and intensity (sorry...Chimera, Hendricks, Bradley aren't in the same class of what we need...where's Dale Hunter when we need him?) Just once I'd like to see some emotion from Backstrom, Fehr, Fleishman, Knuble, Laich, Gordon, Steckel, Johansson, Shultz, Alzner, Carlson, Sloan, Poti...has anyone ever see them get ticked off in the course a game, and then play like they're ticked off? we need some HEART

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 23, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Sid,

It's only November. Lighten up Francis.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 23, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse