Capitals and Penguins to be featured in HBO's "24/7"

Morning Roundup

As many of you may know by now, HBO's "24/7" will air a four-episode all-access series on the Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins leading up to this year's Winter Classic on New Year's Day. The show will debut on Dec. 15 at 10 p.m. (EST), while the ensuing episodes will air on Dec. 22, 29 and Jan. 5.

From the NHL's and HBO's media release:

The HBO Sports presentation debuts in prime time Wednesday, Dec. 15 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), with an immediate encore at 11:00 p.m., and follows the two clubs simultaneously, chronicling their highs and lows each week. The teams will meet in a Dec. 23 regular-season matchup on the Capitals' home ice, leading into episode three of 24/7 PENGUINS/CAPITALS, as the build-up intensifies for the Jan. 1 showdown at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.....
The Jan. 5 series finale debuts four days after the Classic, with cameras tracking all the drama and excitement surrounding the Capitals and Penguins on game day. All four episodes will have multiple replay dates on HBO, and the series will also be available on HBO On Demand.
The series will provide exclusive behind-the-scenes access, along with in-depth interviews of coaches, players and front-office personnel, as the Caps and Penguins battle through their December schedules, meeting twice in one week, including the first-ever NHL game at Heinz Field.

If anything ever sounded like a must-watch or must-DVR for Capitals fans, this is it.

FROM THE POST
If you missed it yesterday, Michal Neuvirth signed a two-year extension with the Capitals.

Coach Bruce Boudreau calls Andrew Gordon "as close to NHL ready as there is" and the affable winger takes his best shot at cracking the Caps lineup.

From the Local section, a look at the impact the Capitals are having on the students at Kenmoor Elementary.

Were you ticked off that you couldn't watch last night's preseason opener last night? You're not alone.

AROUND THE WEB
Homer McFanboy says this is the "Year of Alzner." Can he live up to expectations?

Is the NHL turning its back on new media? On Frozen Blog dissects the league's altered credential policy.

RMNB's Neil Greenberg (also of Washington Post fame) doesn't think Tomas Fleischmann can deliver this year.

By Katie Carrera  | September 23, 2010; 11:12 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup, Pittsburgh Penguins, Winter Classic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matt Hendricks's hat trick leads Capitals to 6-2 win over Columbus in preseason opener
Next: Capitals assign seven players to Hershey

Comments

"When Andrew Gordon missed the first two, three games of the playoffs [with a lower-body injury], Aucoin and Giroux did nothing," Boudreau said. "It made us think Andrew Gordon is more to that line than those guys making Andrew Gordon . . . We're definitely going to want to take a long look at him."

-------

here's the sad part. It took THAT for this org to take notice of Gordon. Anyone who even watched less than the normal 73 Hershey games could see that Gordo drove that team with his energy, his forecheck, and his ability to score timely goals.

Even before he started racking up the points, Andrew Gordon had already come to the realization of what it would take to make him successful. When the Caps drafted him, he was nowhere the type of player he has turned into. A few yrs, Mike Vogel did a video piece on Gordon, it was short, like a minute long. And in it Gordon stated that he realized the key to his future in the nhl was to become a more physical player and use his speed to his full advantage. I think it was after watching that piece that I started to actively follow him. Before that I had basically dismissed him as another tweener player - someone who probably skated well enough to get drafted but lacking the intangles it takes to get to the next level.

so anyway, i sure wish more of our prospects would adopt his attitude. He commmited himself to getting stronger every offseason. And a lot of our prospects who say they have the same commitment don't really seem to make much strides. If Andrew Gordon, who isn't genetically gifted with the type of frame you can pack muscle on easily, can do it, then more of our prospects can follow the same path.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

btw katie, you're doin a great job.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

How about concentrating on just being a good/disciplined hockey team instead of allowing distractions such as this month long fiasco with HBO. It may be good press for the team but will it turn these players/coaches into prima donna's? Or in a few cases more of a prima donna than they already are. I see this as dangerous for this team, the Pens have proven they can put up with the media insanity as they have already won a Cup.....the Caps are still climbing the mountain and I hope this move doesn't knock them down said mountain.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

seconded! keep up the good work Katie!

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Here's to you Katie. Keep up the good work. (Meant to post this a couple days ago - thanks for reminding me CS.)

Posted by: zmega | September 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

They should air this right after True Blood...would help their ratings I reckon.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 23, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

FrankM73: I have your pick.

cstanton1: C'mon dude, let people put in their picks without you feeling compelled to make a comment. I really wish you'd make two selections. Again, I won't say a thing about your picks, I'll just log them.

PhilR: So you are saying, not necessarily this year, but you are saying that you don't feel the Capitals are incapable of winning a Stanley Cup with GMGM at the helm? I refuse to rummage through old threads to find a nugget with you making the claim, I'm not that petty. You are however, very critical of the current management which is why I put you in the group that I hoped would submit two choices if you think the Capitals won't win this season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: Whether you like it or not the Capitals are in the mainstream media and represent the NHL as a whole, as is Ovi. That is why they have to deal with the distractions. They are expected to market the NHL product. So you think Leonsis, BB, and Ovi hopped in the car and pitched a TV show to HBO?

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

As far as Flash's performance yesterday (BTW I am not sold on him playing center, but who the heck am I?) and he won 6 of 10 faceoffs, better yet he was 3 for 4 in the defensive zone. He had 2G and 1A and was a +2. If Flash's work is dismissed we have to dismiss Hendricks' work too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

wth are you tlkn about? what picks?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Here you go:

have a challenge for everyone stating the Capitals will not win the Cup while GMGM and BB are here. It is extremely easy to pick one team, in this case the Capitals, and say that they will not win the Cup. What makes it easier is since some of you making that declaration are fans you can fall back on the fact that you wanted them to win anyway.

My challenge to all of you is to select two other teams that WILL win the Cup. Not have a better shot, but WILL win the Cup. I will keep a roster on the teams selected and share that as teams get eliminated.

Now, the naysayers on here say that the Capitals will not win with GMGM at the helm so you cannot jump back on the Capitals bandwagon due to GMGM bringing in a player perceived as a good pick-up and difference maker, because remember, the Capitals will not win with GMGM at the helm is the claim.

This is not to start an argument on the board, and I will not scrutinize anyone’s selections. I will simply log them and send out a confirmation on the board. The only thing this will be for is bragging rights, and I cannot speak for anyone else who believes the Capitals will win the Cup this year, but I can guaranted that I will not make up any excuses if the Capitals are eliminated. On the flip side, no excuses from anyone else either. I don’t know about all of you, but this sounds like a good time to me. Again, I’m not going to argue with anyone on here, simply send you selections and I’ll roger up. I have also created an email address if you’d like to send it there and it’s PickCupChamp@yahoo.com. I swear that is a real email account. It might actually be easier if the selections are sent there too. Please include you Capitals Insider screen name if your email address is different. Good luck!

Also, I asked for everyone to have their picks to me by noon on the 7th. One other quick post added that if someone makes their picks now they can go ahead and change them prior to noon on the 7th in the event one of their selections lost a player or two to a major injury. This is all in good fun and just ask, to keep things civil, that fellow posters not tear apart other posters picks. The alternative is to send your picks to the email address above. GOOD LUCK!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If Flash's work is dismissed we have to dismiss Hendricks' work too.

Posted by: fanohock1

lol, so now you want to compare a kid fighting for a 4th line spot to Flash competing for a 2nd line spot?

Hendricks isn't counted upon to score goals. Any goals from him is a bonus. He needs to be a gritty defensive center first and foremost. The fact that he scored 3 while I'm sure providing his usual steady gritty game bodes well for him. And he's proven he can play that way in the nhl also. Not necessarily being a goal scorer but his other attributes.

Flash has proven one thing, he fades when the going gets tough. So does he deserve another look based on if he does well in the preseason? Sure, but there better be a quick hook on him when he shows signs of the old Flash. Because in Flash's case, preseason results need to be taken with a measure of salt. And to an extent his regular season output as well.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

I'm not syaing they did pitch it to HBO, read my post! I stated I thought it was a bad idea and mgmt COULD have turned it down to concentrate on the task at hand which is winning the Cup! Can the guys handle all that media, maybe....but to me why put that extra pressure on a team that is already under extreme pressure after last years unceremonious exit in the first round.

I know Ovi is the pitch man for the NHL along with Crosby.....I am more worried about guys like Green, Semin, and especially the two young goalies being adversely affected.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Well if Hendricks was to make this team as a grit guy I want him to stop scoring and start getting scrappy. I'm just messing with you cstanton1. BTW, I read the TSN article about last night's game and at least two Avs fans mentioned they were bummed that Hendricks was gone. That was early this morning so I'm not sure if other Avs fans chimed in and supported that sentiment.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I am extremely critical of current mgmt as I have the right to be, I do believe the Constitution gives me the right to free speech. I will voice my opinion when I do not agree with what they are doing like making no changes when it is obvious that changes are needed to get this team over the hump. But I never said they will NEVER when under current mgmt as I hope they wake up and make the necessary adjustments......there is always hope!

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"when" should be win....sorry

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Dude you said " Or in a few cases more of a prima donna than they already are." That is what I am getting at. I am also trying to get the point across that the Capitals, nor the Penguins, probably didn't have much say in their participation. It is also my opinion that if our top players were prima donnas that the Capitals postseason chronical that had Sloan and Knuble on NHL Home Ice would have featured Ovi and Green if their egos are as big as some perceive they are. I'm sure Ovi was the first one approached.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I get PISSED anytime someone takes away my God given right to watch Caps Hockey on Television.

WILL THERE BE AT LEAST 1 PRESEASON GAME TELEVISED?

If I can watch a Redskins SCRIMMAGE on TV...I mean come on!

Its a Travesty, a SHAM AND...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 23, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else want to see someone new in Steckel's place? I mean, I love what Steckel does as much as the next guy, but I want to shake things up and see some new faces in here.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | September 23, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Just what the Caps need to pump the team ego up even more!! OV will have the bimbos lined up outside his door after the HBO show.

Posted by: doughless | September 23, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I consider both Green, BB, and to some extent Ovi to be prima donnas (agree with me or not, that is how I see it). The absolute arrogance of BB thinking his "system" is the best and need not be tweaked demonstrates this characteristic to me. As far as Green goes I am going by the way he carries himself, do I know the guy personally, no but it is about perception. I am not the only one that has pointed this out, there have been posters on this blog and others as well that have noticed the same. Ovi, well, he is what he is........he is saying the right things this year but that tag has been put on him in the past as well. Varly is another I have heard this about but haven't noticed it myself.

What do you think a month of HBO following them around for a month will do to those guys egos?? Do you actually think it would humble them? Please.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Perrault was outskating Flash in preseason, according to Katie.

Posted by: doughless | September 23, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, it's a free country. Don't watch the HBO special. That way you can relax and not be bothered by the arrogance of pro athletes.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@doughless, Ovi already had women lined up outside his door.

PhilR, I always heard that people who worry about other people's egos actually have big egos themselves. None of us know them personally, so I wouldn't go around assuming someone has a big ego.

Posted by: dfe1 | September 23, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR

The only thing that will "humble" them is losing. If they are playing like last year, winning after loafing for 2 periods, then no, HBO will only feed their egos. If they are losing, HBO will be a big help because it will force them to change. No one wants to be embarrassed in front of an international audience.

Posted by: ablake70 | September 23, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I love the HBO idea. Should be very good TV. I read something comparing BB to Rex Ryan in his entertainment value for a show like this. This is from a Fanhouse article about it:

"Of course, there's going to be some hockey fans that are going to be tired of seeing the Penguins and Capitals featured again, and point out that there are other teams in the league; but from an NHL standpoint it simply makes sense. As two of the best teams in the NHL, and featuring some of the best players in the world (Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Nicklas Backstrom), these teams are going to draw ratings, viewers and interest. And at the end of the day, that's all the league and networks want or care about. "

Also, who cares how humble Ovie, Green and BB are? How humble are any sports stars and entertainers and who cares? Unless people on here actually interact with them personally, why would anyone here care about that. How does that effect you?

Posted by: sgm3 | September 23, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Is it too soon to start the Pens hate?

As sgm points out in the last post, Orpik cheap-shot Franzen in last night's Pens-Wings game. Orpik was ejected for kneeing. Pens blog posts universally mocking Franzen and the Wings. Not a really thoughtful group there. Not holding my breath for significant response from "see no Pens evil" Colin Campbell.

What would the reaction be if Ovi had made the hit? What if Crosby had been on the receiving end? We all know the answers to those questions.

It ain't paranoia if they're really out to get ya!

Posted by: zmega | September 23, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@fanock

i love how you think you're trapping the 'naysayers' into a position. Its funny, really. My experience from dealing with both types on this board shows me that more often than not, its the fruitpunchers who are evasive about making and sticking to predictions, not the naysayers.

Anyway, back to your request. I'm not being evasive so bear with me. Its my last long post of the day.

The scenario I think you're trying to present isn't a black n white scenario. Just because someone like me is convinced that the Caps are doomed for underachieving in the playoffs under McPhee, it doesn't mean that I'm qualified to make an accurate Stanley Cup prediction either. All I feel I'm capable of doing is to gauge which teams seem to have the right personnel, system, and philosophy in place to make themselves a legit contender. That's IT.

After that, there are many other variables in place (and no, luck isn't one of them unless we're talking significant injuries). But certainly player acquisitions as the yr progresses definitely can influence the outcome as can coaching changes. To pick a Cup champ in the preseason is silly and premature. Will i go along with it anyway? Sure. I'll send you my 2 picks. But I still think to pick a team right now without letting the season evolve and thereby eliminating so many other variables is pointless if your end goal is to prove or disprove someone's hockey knowledge.

To pick the Caps as not being Cup-worthy however is different and IMO its not premature to do that in the offseason.

Because I can look at their general trend over time and make an educated judgment that they don't have the right idea about what it takes to win, and given that, then predict the right moves won't occur along the way. So I won't be jumping onto their bandwagon just because they're racking up points in the reg season. But, if they go out and get 3 or 4 players that I really like and suddenly change their systems and philosophy, then why would I or anyone else be precluded from thinking they have given themselves a legit chance at the Cup? I think that's just a dumb position to be forced to take. If I truly believe they are Cup worthy (and it has ZERO to do with their reg season record at the time), I'll state it. For ex, if this offseason had gone differently, its very possible I could be singing a different tune. As would a few others. The naysayser's opinions aren't static. Its dynamic, as well it should be. It doesn't mean we're wishy-washy or trying to cover all bases.

Look at it this way. If the Caps have a bad start to their season, and McPhee is forced to re-evaluate things, AND he decides to mirror my own philosophies and makes the appropriate changes, then why wouldn't I jump on the bandwagon? It would be stupid for me not to. If he goes out and suddenly puts together a gritty physical team that plays solid team defense, then of course I'll change my tune. Its what I've wanted to see along!

so, you'll get my 2 picks.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

sgm3:

you rhetorical questions are truly ridiculous. please, man get serious and pull your head out of the sand.

Posted by: doughless | September 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR |

i agree there is always hope that under the current regime that things can change.

But its highly unlikely. Ergo my utter pessimism.

The difference in opinion between the PhilR/Doughless/CS/zmega crew and 'the other guys' imo comes down to this..tell me if I'm wrong.

Our crew (crew A) feels that the current style and roster will not make a deep playoff run or win the Cup.

The other side (crew B) feels that mass changes are not necessary in order to achieve that goal.

Now if McPhee/BB transforms their ideas to match Crew A's, then was crew B right all along or was crew A right?

I feel Crew A would be right because we're dealing with specific roster and systemic principles. Despite the fact that McPhee would still be in charge at the time.

how do you guys feel about this?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR. Just to be a glass half full guy and not see everything as doom and gloom let me present this scenario. The team does face a bit extra media attention during the HBO event as well as the Winter Classic. This instead of inflating their heads teaches them that they can go out and play their game and win when the media attention is on them the most and when the playoffs come along even with the media that covers them they know they have been through much more before.

I have a theory about why every road team in the Winter Classic has made the Finals that season. Some of the teams (like Detroit) were returning Cup champions and were expected to be fairly strong in the competition again. However some teams (like Pittsburgh the first time) have little to no playoff experience and while they have had some media attention nothing like what being in the Classic or the Finals brings. The home teams in the classic have a lot more of pressure on them to win in their home city and seem to play trying not to lose. While the road team seems to enjoy being there and come out better in the games (home teams are 1-1-1 while the road team is 2-0-1) and also get the experience of being the only thing going on in the NHL the entire day and having all the media there.

I think this HBO thing and the Classic can actually help the Caps better deal with playing while having all of the attention on them. Players also deal with this kind of stuff all of the time. Last year the Caps were on “Sports Jobs” and that didn’t seem to hurt them.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 23, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

But if GMGM goes out and makes those 3-4 moves that would sway your opinion and deem the Caps cup hoisting worthy, and they did in fact win the cup...but wait, according to you GMGM/BB will never win a cup...so therefore we wont make those 3-4 deals and your opinion wont be swayed, but...meh forget it, my eyes just went cross. It's official, cstanton1 argues paradox like. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

how do you guys feel about this?

cstanton,

I wouldn't honestly give a rats a@@ about who is right as long as the Caps are winning.

Posted by: Steve_R | September 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

There are many here that are concentrating on my prima donna statement and not seeing the main concern that I voiced. This team will have TWO 22 year old, might as well say rookie goaltenders manning the pipes this year. Do they really need that added pressure of having HBO follow them around for a month filing them putting their jock straps on?? How about the young rookie center trying to fill a role he may not be ready for yet, fair to him??? How about Carlson and Alzner, yes they have performed well on lower level stages but is this added pressure ok??

fanohock may very well be right and they were mgmt was really given no choice in all this but if they did have a choice should they be putting that added pressure on these youngsters and for that matter the rest of the squad after teh pressure they are already feeling due to last years failure. Just sayin, shoot a guy because he has a different opinion than yours. geez! You people complain about the "bashers" jumping on others!

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

btw, we should make our picks visible to everyone. That way Fanock doesn't screw me and claim that my picks were Columbus and Florida :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Constitution give you freedom of speech - free from government censorship. That's about it. Don't get all Dr. Laura in here.

You can speak your mind but that doesn't imply anyone can't call you or call you names.

You can't flaunt freedom of speech as some Constitutional right on a message board.

Saintex, esq.

Posted by: saintex | September 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Thansk for your opinion icehammer97, I can see your point of view as well and it is a very valid point. And not jumping down my throat is appreciated as well.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

actually, i'd like to propose something else. Or maybe we can do both even.

I feel that making picks now is pointless. Its somewhat educated but not really. I think about a third of the way thru the season is a fair balance between still making a real prediction and having it not be just guesswork. About 25 games into the season is what it usually takes me to get a good feel on teams around the league.

I have a good feel on certain teams right now. But other teams that I'm also interested in watching (Blues, Tor, Atl, Tampa, Sharks, Stars, Rangers) just bear more watching because they're mostly all teams in transition.

And while things can change at the trading deadline too, I'd be willing to make predictions well in advance of that.

so, how does that sound?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

It's official, cstanton1 argues paradox like. :)

-------

ftr, i ran out of characters i could post in that long message. But I was already planning on addressing that paradox.

I think its fair for you guys to expect me to avoid that paradox. So I'm fine going on record that given McPhee's track record, I don't see him making the necessary changes that will facilitate a Cup.

ok, im on record. And my picks if you force me to make them now, will not include the Capitals.

But I'd still like a chance to watch the rest of the league play for about 20-25 games this season to make a more informed prediction on the Cup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Why not just make wild a@@ guesses now and edit at Christmas time (or whenever 25 games is)?

I'm liking Van and the Caps, based on nothing that I want to argue about or have to justify.

Posted by: Steve_R | September 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that the differences between Crew A and Crew B are all that great. Both seem to be saying that there is no need to blow the team up, but making a few changes would greatly increase the prospects for playoff success. Even the lists of desired changes are pretty similar - pretty much everyone agrees on the need for proven veterans at 2C and 1D. I would add the need for a more aggressive PK and better presence in the opponents crease. There are significant differences in the degree of optimism that these changes will occur this year and the prospects for playoff success if they don't occur. I'm still hopeful, but the failure to bring in the center and the Poti extension are testing that optimism.

Posted by: zmega | September 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The point of the pick contest, from where I sit, seems to be that if, "All I feel I'm capable of doing is to gauge which teams seem to have the right personnel, system, and philosophy in place to make themselves a legit contender. That's IT..", then picking two teams that will run deep should be fairly easy.

I like cstanton's posts because he's got loads of insight into players that I don't have; and player-by-player I end up seeing that most of those assessments are correct. But, there are 30 teams in the league so it's very easy to say "this team won't win" and be proven right year after year after year. Had I been a Caps' fan for 35 years and posited that they can't win the Cup with this team then I'd be a genius, right?

Significant injuries are clearly an issue and we'd all recognize those if someone's picks didn't go deep, but that's wholly different than positioning oneself as a prognosticator based on some factual data and then being right or wrong. In fact, claiming that moves made by the GM or the coach during the season would swing an opinion one way or the other doesn't hold water, at least in this case. The belief, by lots of folks here, is that this team cannot win a Cup with BB, GM, this system, or some combination of the three. The fact that they don't ever win a Cup with them isn't actually proof at all that they were, or are, the problem. If they make moves - even ones that you might wholeheatedly support - doesn't mean you can change the idea of them being inept: "they" are the problem, apparently. So if "they" are here than moves they make would have no effect on our picks.

I'll be interested to see the picks at the end of the year.

Posted by: saintex | September 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

well im out for the next 4 days. I'm going salmon fishing, yeahaa!! And you guys get a pollution-free board for a while.

but when i get back i'd like to read what the general consensus was on maybe having a more official prediction thread that occurs about one-third of the way into the season. Since Fanock proposed this entire deal, I'd like to get his take on it as well.

peace and love, peace and love.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

As I predicted yesterday, not a single negative thing was said here about the Neuvy deal. Proves something, doesn't it?

As it was written, so it was.

nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 23, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think the point of those picks is for the people who are saying "I know the Caps will not win this year" for them to say who will win then. Or at least give them two teams then.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 23, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR I see where you are coming from with the young guys as well. I think getting them that kind of exposure during the regular season is even better for them. Most of them have played in at least one playoffs series so I think they can all handle it well but this will just be another measuring stick.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 23, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

As it was written, so it was.

nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1

Not true. Some people were complaining that it was done too early and that GMGM should have waited.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 23, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I think tom was saying that none of the posters that most on here consider "negative" had anything bad to say about the signing. I do remember a couple of posts that you are referring to but don't think they were from the cstanton, underpants, doughless, joek, philr, zmega crowd. I personally thought that was a no brainer and good signing at that amount for Neuvy.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone actually say Neuvy was signed too soon? Guess I missed that. If anyone said that, or feels that way, I'd say I'm in 100% disagreement.

I believe he will outplay the contract just like Fehr did last year (to be honest, so did Flash. And Schultz. They were all in the 725-750 range.)

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 23, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Completely unrelated:
A man in his 20's has died at Kettler today. Apparently in an office and had a medical emergency. anyone know what happened and who it was?
Certainly prayers go out to him & his family.

Posted by: Iceman10 | September 23, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Flash is in his 20's....

Ok ok ok, poor form, I know.

But yeah I heard about that a bit ago. I heard some league coach or something.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 23, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"olice are investigating a death that occurred at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Ballston just before noon today.

A man in his 20s or 30s suffered some sort of a medical emergency in the complex. Paramedics performed CPR on the man, believed to be a youth hockey coach, and took him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The incident happened while the Washington Capitals were practicing in an adjacent rink. Police have confirmed that they’re investigating a death, but have not released any other details.

Detectives were on scene taking statements from witnesses earlier this afternoon. As of 1:30, at least seven police units were parked outside the rink."
from:

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 23, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Gordo just announced that he's officially nicknamed Marcus MoJo. And I thought MaJo was the new MoJo...oh well.

Posted by: jakopz | September 23, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

As it was written, so it was.

nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 23, 2010 2:00 PM

i can't believe gmgm tied up two years on neuvy. i've never seen him finish a check or fight for the puck in the corners - he's soft and we need grit

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 23, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Capt, not only that, he plays Euro Trash hockey.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 23, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse