Posted at 7:41 AM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Despite loss, a 'full 60 minutes' from the Caps in Dallas

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

After losing, 2-1, in Dallas, Matt Hendricks remarked that regardless of the mess of penalties in the second period, Thursday night's tilt was a "a good, full 60 minutes of hockey." Although the loss left the Capitals feeling upset, the contest was the type of game they're learning to play in this year and, more often than not, win.

The loss dropped Washington to 8-2-2 in one-goal games, but it was for the most part a consistent effort throughout the entire contest. (Granted, there was a lapse with the surplus of shorthanded time in the middle of the second period, but that seemed bound to happen as the Capitals continued to be whistled for minors.) Putting together a complete game for the fifth time since they were shut out, 5-0 in New Jersey on Nov. 22, should be encouraging for the Capitals even if it didn't yield two points.

"I thought we played pretty good," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We outplayed them pretty well for a team that had three power plays to their five, you know."

Last season, the Capitals were 20-8-13 in one-goal games. They accumulated a lot of points in those contests but by forcing a significant number to overtime or a shootout, and if the goal is to avoid -- as Boudreau has said in the past -- the 6-4 offensive barrage style contests and play with more control it appears Washington is getting there.

FROM THE POST
The game story from the Capitals' 2-1 loss in Dallas for the hard-copy edition and more notes in the post-game blog.

Alex Ovechkin tied his career-longest goal-scoring drought (2008-09) as his ninth contest without a goal passed by against the Stars. But he has been piling up assists and possibly developing a new part of his game while not lighting the lamp.

AROUND THE WEB
Thursday, we linked to Forbes's various NHL evaluations and rankings. Ted Leonsis responded to those articles and said that "Forbes undervalues" the Capitals. (Ted's Take)

Chris Botta on embracing the hype that is about to get rolling with the Winter Classic now less than a month away. (FanHouse)

In Hershey, the Bears have done some lineup tinkering in search of more balanced scoring. (The Patriot News)

By Katie Carrera  | December 3, 2010; 7:41 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau critical of officiating following loss
Next: First impressions of Scott Hannan

Comments

previous thread

@Justafan

but is that a reviewable play? Because if it is...you HAVE to review that!

I didn't get to watch the ;ast 2 periods...we had 38 SOG, and 7 PKs to their4-5 I believe...

were the refs calling it evenly? Did we deserve that many penalties? Did we deserve a few more PPs?

Glad BB seems ready to address Ovie gripping his stick to tight and forcing his shot...u can tell he is on the verge of scoring, and when he fixs those things he should be set.

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Not that I care, but isn't the word "gypped" considered to be offensive?

Posted by: Bagher | December 3, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

Absolutely horrendous officiating throughout the contest last evening. That being said, the Caps had all the opportunities they needed in the 1st period to put that game out of reach and simply did not capitalize. The refs screwed up yes, but the loss is on them for not executing when they had chances.

Posted by: PhilR

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Mayb BB will get fined for his comments...that would REALLY light a fire under the team's tail!

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

capscoach,

I don't think he went over the line enough to get fined but I guess we will see.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

why isn't anything being said about the poor ice conditions...

Guys were falling all over the place, mishandling pucks, and the puck was bouncing all night.

The NHL has ICE Standards, why is Dallas exempt from meeting those standards...

I really don't care about 1 loss (in December), but guys can get hurt. And EVERYONE knows that bad ice will help a less talented team like the Stars...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 3, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Caps coach- Yes, we did deserve all of those penalties.

THe problem was it was one sided.

We blow them out at Verizon...where the ice is up to standards...

It's december, I wouldn't worry about it...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 3, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

"Not that I care, but isn't the word "gypped" considered to be offensive?

Posted by: Bagher | December 3, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse "

Yes, the word "gypped" generally means to be cheated or swindled out of something, and most likely it is derived from "Gypsy." It was a poor choice of words. "Cheated" or "swindled" would have sufficed without causing offense.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 3, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I can take comfort in the fact that we played a good game on a back to back roady in two different time zones ( I think).

Man...did Atlanta not realize after the 2nd goal that MAYBE they should cover Crysby...esp. since no one else was scoring!

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps,

Yes, the ice was terrible to say the least. It's a good thing Poti had already tweaked his groin because that surface would have blown it out fully for sure. That ice further proves that MaJo has completely recovered from that hip flexor as I am sure that would have acted up on that ice as well.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

And STOP talking about Ovie's goal drought.

If it mean winning the cup, I don't care if Ovie doesn't score for the rest of the year...

TEAM FIRST KATIE...let's embrace it...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 3, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Is "gypped" REALLY offensive? Really? Are there a lot of gypsies reading this blog?

Posted by: Bmorecaps | December 3, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach, our CSN announcers said it was not reviewable. A goal would be reviewable for interference but a washout is not. Seems worth revisiting that rule.

Hendricks really had an awesome game last night. Can't believe he was a walk-on. I've got a sense he's going to become more and more valuable to us as this season wears on and more cohesion adheres.

Posted by: Justafan | December 3, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Not that I care, but isn't the word "gypped" considered to be offensive?

Posted by: Bagher | December 3, 2010 7:50 AM

Technically yes. It was coined in reference to being taken or conned by a gypsy.

But thankfully gypsies dont have internet in their caravans (towable mobile homes), are too busy training their "dags" to chase wild hares, and are usually too drunk to notice us bad mouthing them. On a side note...man can they bare knuckle fight. And before you ask, yes I did my research...and there is no way "Snatch" and/or Brad Pitt would lie to me.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@Bmorecaps I agree with the others that it's offensive. There are plenty of pejoratives for African Americans, Jews, Chinese, Mexicans, etc., etc., that most people no longer dare utter. Why should it matter how many of them are on the blog when we decide not to say those terms?

Posted by: Justafan | December 3, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hendricks has added an edge this team was sorely missing for sure. Just wish we had a couple more of him, Chimera could play the same way if he dedicated himself to that style....he has shown flashes of it here and there. But right now the only other that plays the style of Hendricks is Brads but I do not think Brads has the skill set of Hendricks.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI, funny. Resist the temptation to follow up on my post with tales about the other groups mentioned.

Posted by: Justafan | December 3, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Not that I care, but isn't the word "gypped" considered to be offensive?

Posted by: Bagher | December 3, 2010 7:50 AM

Are you asking if you should be offended? That, my friend, is Political Correctness run amok.

Posted by: DarkHorseCards | December 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your fine reporting. Just writing to point out that 'gypped' is really not a word that should find its way into any newspaper. I know people moan about political correctness, but this verb is based on the offensive stereotype that 'Gypsies' (Romany people) are always stealing things. I'd like to read these reports without having to read words like this -- it's the kind of thing that an editor should catch.

Posted by: kilkelly | December 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see others pointed this out before me.

Posted by: kilkelly | December 3, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Funny about the word...I have used it while speaking before...but I had no clue that is how it was spelled, therefore I had no clue about its origin! I guess I will have to be careful not to say it anymore.

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was really surprised to see the word "gypped" in the story. Due to my immediate reaction and obvious of others here I'd say to remove that word. It rerally isn't any different than if you say, "I j**** him down on the price."

That said, Caps were gypped last night. Oops.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 3, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

If losing this game means that the NHL allows these types of goals to be reviewed, it is a win for the caps and the league. There is no reason something like this should not be reviewable. It is pretty clear that the defenseman (37) is trying to hit ovi from behind into the net. Ovi has just about stopped/is gliding at this point, the D man is skating full steam from about 3 steps behind to catch up because he is out of position and basically loses an edge. Its a poor call that is easily seen in a replay from Toronto. Who knows how the montreal call last year goes if it is reviewed. All i know is that it can't hurt the integrity of the game.

Posted by: chatton | December 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

and by the way, leave it to people in washington to be offended. Who cares.

Posted by: chatton | December 3, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Political correctness run amuck, good lord people this garbage is getting to be ridiculous.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@justafan- Yeah, I agree. I was mostly kidding. Gypped is a word I've kinda always used and never thought it had any racial implications etc, etc. Mostly because as capscoach pointed out, I was unaware of the spelling until I saw it in print.
@SAOTI- Your posts (and login) are hilarious as always.

Posted by: Bmorecaps | December 3, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal
ROFL nice one bud. Kudos.

@Justafan
Fine I will resist the temptation (as I do not what the PC Hot Fuzz kicking down one of my cubicle walls)...but it could have been pretty good, just think of all the possible "research" material I could have used. Oh well.

@PhilR
Ditto. People need to relax. Some people are so uptight, I could stick a lump of coal...blah blah blah, and in 2 weeks pull out a diamond.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"offensive stereotype that 'Gypsies' (Romany people) are always stealing things"

History lesson!

Yawn.

Hopefully the Caps go out and "win one for the Romany people" tomorrow night.

Posted by: Fro_2 | December 3, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Just sent to Washington Post ombudsman:

Hello,

I am writing to express my disappointment in reading an ethnic slur used by your writer, Katie Carrera, in her article "Despite loss, a "full 60 minutes" from the Caps in Dallas" for the Capitals Insider blog online. The Washington Post is a publication worthy of the highest respect and dignity, but the use of the word "gypped" by Ms. Carrera is insensitive at best and highly offensive at worst. It slanders the Roma people, also known as gypsies, and the use of the word "gypped" is equivalent to the use of similar words like "jewed" and "nigged," meaning to be tricked, cheated, or swindled. I'm surprised Ms. Carrera used the word, and I'm also surprised that her editor at the Washington Post didn't catch it. Surely if discovered this would never have been allowed to be published. I've included the first paragraph below for your review:

"After losing 2-1 in Dallas, Matt Hendricks remarked that regardless of the mess of penalties in the second period Thursday night's tilt was a "a good, full 60-minutes of hockey." Although the loss left the Capitals feeling gypped, the contest was the type of game they're learning to play in this year and more often than not, win."

Finally, I'd like to request that this article be edited to reflect and uphold the journalistic integrity of the Washington Post that I've come to expect.

Most Sincerely,
[signed]

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh for the love of the baby Jesus...get over it.

I was not offended until you used the "n" word...

Idiot - is that ok to use or have I offended your id?

Posted by: jeets | December 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Most Sincerely,
[signed]

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 10:11 AM

Hahaha.

Dude you just made my day.

Posted by: Fro_2 | December 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

django,

You sir or madam are one of the major things that is wrong with our society. If you are offended by a word that was (and most likely still is) used by grade school children on the playground during recess then you are a sad and pitiful individual. Try worrying about the real problems like 10% unemployment, government spending our children into bankruptcy and all the kids who will have nothing to eat this Christmas less more any presents from "Santa." In other words, go get a life.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The Roma people have been mistreated throughout history, and there's simply nothing funny about it. The use of "gypped" is as seriously offensive as the use of the "n" word. We Americans are perhaps more sensitive to the mistreatment of African-Americans, however this may be due to our ignorance and lack of exposure to the mistreatment of the Roma people. In Europe, prejudice towards the Roma people is highly serious and the fact that Americans are ignorant of this is no excuse to further devalue the Roma as an ethnic people.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I feel gypped out of meaningful hockey talk this morning.

And now Christmas has been mentioned which will surely bring out the rest of the PC crowd.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The acceptance here by many of "gypped" is as slippery a slope as those who think the use of the "n" word is innocent and harmless. Plenty of people used to say the "n" word carelessly, but we are wise enough now to recognize what it can lead to. These racial and ethnic slurs are simply unacceptable.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I am absolutely stunned to think that the word "gypped" offends anyone. What has our society come to when this even hits our cognitive radar? I thought much more highly of hockey fans as real people until this thread got started. My faith is now shaken!

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 3, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@django11

That's great. What did you think of the game last night?

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR
RUH-ROH...(siren sounds)you have now offended me in your statement "all the kids who will have nothing to eat this Christmas less more any presents from "Santa." ".

What if these poor kids are jewish, or celebrate Kwanza, or other holidays? Do these kids not deserve to eat? The PC way to have said this would have been "all the kids who will have nothing to eat this holiday season..." COME ON MAN =)

P.S. I WAS TOTALLY BEING SARCASTIC.

Time to get back to hockey folks. Enough of the PC train derailment.

@django11
How bout next time you feel inclined to send a letter complaining about being offended, you send it to the proper people and leave it off the HOCKEY BLOG. Your PC analness (think I just coined a new word) OFFENDS me. Get over yourself. You're probably mad about the freshly clubbed baby seal slippers I bought my mom for x-mas this year too huh?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Well done, sgm3.

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 3, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach: We are currently in first place and you are still resorting to name calling. Isn't it time to NOT worry about Sid and the Pens. The time may be coming to worry about ATL and establish a rivalry in the division. Can not believe the posters on here still try to belittle by name calling. Childish. Juvenile. Grow up, get off the bandwagon, and discuss hockey. It's that mentalitly that makes us fans a joke to the rest of the league... AND WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM! If only we had an owner who wouldn't bring up the Pens all the time, that might help as well.

Posted by: penscapsNOTarivalry | December 3, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

As far as Pens go, I find that the Papermate Flexgrip Ultra works pretty darn well. But talk about writing instruments belongs on another blog.
Thanks.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

As Borat would say "shut up gypsies and give me your

Posted by: ajian1 | December 3, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

As Borat would say "shut up gypsies and give me your tears"

Seriously get over yourselves

And yes the Caps were GYPPED.

Posted by: ajian1 | December 3, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

What was I thinking??!! I apologize for offending those who celebrate other holidays this time of year!

And, I'm with sgm3 for once,

django,

What did you think about the game last night? Do you think they played a full 60 minute game? Should the goal that was disallowed been counted? Who do you think had the best game as far as our Caps players?

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm really quite surprised that the word hasn't been changed yet. I have seen far less sensitive errors changed very quickly.

WTF?
I think enough has been said about the word gypped to indicate that it is at least marginally offensive to folks. Seems like a simple enough change.

BE A PROFESSIONAL AND JUST CHANGE IT!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I guess if you want to stay with the Walmart cheapos, I must have a higher standard.

Posted by: penscapsNOTarivalry | December 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Man, just saw the Bruin highlights from last night......they absolutely crushed the Bolts. Made them look like a college/high school team.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Thanks sir. For a second there I was feeling g...err, nevermind. (backs away slowly)

Anyways, I was busy out last night. How did Hannan look?

Also, someone said in an earlier post (I think it was WTF)...he said Semin looked like a saloon gambler or something. Not quite sure what that meant. Was he playing cards? Enlighten please. Thx in advance.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The game was hard-played, and the Caps needed to win or tie before the final minute, plain and simple. The Dallas player was already sliding into the goalie, but I can see how the referee made the call based on his point of view/angle and considering the speed of the play. The fact that these plays are un-reviewable means that the Caps just needed to score earlier. They played a good 60 minutes, Hannan looked good to me for the most part, and I don't think you regret anything about that loss.

That said...

I won't keep company with individuals who think that racial and ethnic slurs are acceptable. "Christmas" is not a racial or ethnic slur, and is a religious holiday deserving of respect, as is Hanukkah and holidays of other faiths. Being offended by the word "gypped" is not being overly sensitive or too politically correct. It is simply being a reasonable, respectful, person who is offended by racism. Saying someone has been "gypped" is racist. That's a fact. I won't participate in a discussion with those who accept racism with a smile and a la-di-da.

Romani throughout history have been enslaved, ordered by various European nations to be killed on sight without penalty of murder, mass-murdered including the suffering of a genocide of 500,000 to 1.5 million in the Holocaust (a huge proportion of the population at the time), and today suffer discrimination in jobs and schools, subject to police brutality, the orphans are almost never adopted, displaced, children fingerprinted (tagged like animals).

In 2009, the U.N.'s anti-racism panel charged that "Gypsies suffer widespread racism in European Union," that 'Racially motivated crime is an everyday experience' for Roma people, says EU's Fundamental Rights Agency.

It is each of our responsibilities as human beings to guard against racism, and I sincerely hope that some of you have considered what I've written and taken it to heart. It's no joke.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

word police. Leave Katie alone. She meant no offense and it a common phrase. Only in the DC area or maybe San Fran do you get this PC garbage. Is this a sports blog or politcis? Keep the political stuff and PC away from The Capitals. People watch sports and are on here to escape politcis, corporate grinds, bosses and other annoying things.

Posted by: pkme | December 3, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@django11

That's great. What did you like best about Hannan's game?

I was pleasently surprised by his mobility. After reading how slow he was supposed to be, I am pleased to see he has decent mobility.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The picture in Forbes referencing the Predators is of the Coyotes bench. Yeah Forbes!!!!!

Posted by: CF11555 | December 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Grr, I hate when posts get messed up. Lost my post, oh well, I'll try to remember it.

For those men on here that arose to the sounds of their wives puking, put your mind at ease. It is not morning sickness, they simply heard that Crosby potted 3 last night and took over the goal scoring lead.

Btw, for those that want a good chuckle, head over to nhl.com's homepage. Check out the flash photo of Cindy and tell me he doesnt look like Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder. He mah mah mah makes me vomit. (but you cant deny the talent)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

it's embarassing that people here are offended by the word "gypped"....no wonder fans don't appreciate players like Erskine and DJK; seems like many fans are nothing more than politically-correct liberal pacifists, certanily nothing like the fans I cheered with in the Cap Center....no wonder I don't seem to have much in common w/many posters

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

For those who watched the game last night, what is the assessment of Hannan? Are we happy with what we got, judging on a one game performance?

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 3, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@penscapsNOTarivalry

seriously? just because you don't like it doesn't mean others can't enjoy themselves. There IS a rivalry between the Pens and Caps, and if I want to call him Crysby I will...it really isn't a big deal. Anyway, I was more making fun of Atl than CrOsby, for their lack of coverage.

I take childish pleasure out of the rivalry, it doesn't hurt anything, so lay off me. And you really need a chill pill if u get that worked up over peoples' replacing a Y for an O in his name.

To All:

Since I missed the last two periods last night, can anyone tell me if the 38 SOG were quality, crappy, or mixed shots.

Also...just to get 38 SOG when we had 7 PKs is pretty impressive.

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

haha. uh-oh Katie got caught up by the PC police. I can't even believe people take the time to comment on the blog let alone write the Post a letter.

some people whine more than crosby on a slashing call

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

On Hannan:

He is an upgrade and he showed last night. I dont recall the Stars having even 1 good scoring chance when he was on the ice last night. While he is not the fastest skater, he has decent lateral quickness and is very smart, so his anticipation skills can help cover up his lack of speed. He did good work on the PK last night, anticipated multipled times and helped keep the puck inside the offensive zone. On those plays Erskine, Poti, Schultz would have all started skating back instead. I was very pleased with his first game last night.

Posted by: ThePat | December 3, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Holy crap! People up in arms over the use of "gypped"?

To quote the great American Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up Francis"

Posted by: Steve_R | December 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 11:13 AM

Yup, it was me, I called him an occasional "Riverboat Gambler". In a nutshell, a flashy high risk taker. (sometimes unnecessarily taking risks) Without flippant regard to the consequences.

Like being close to the blue line on the PK, heading out and making a soft lateral pass that is intercepted by the opposition, thereby extending the oppositions PP. Instead of just making sure you clear the zone before doing ANYTHING ELSE.

He hasnt done a ton of that stuff this season, as in seasons past. But he did some last night.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Okay, let's stop guessing and start using facts. The word gypped, regardless of how it looks, does not come from Gypsy. Nor, as is sometimes thought, does it come from Egyptian. It comes from the Greek word for vulture, gyp. In fact, use of the word Gypsy, which means little Egypt and was applied incorrectly to people of color who looked vaguely Egyptian to some Europeans in the 1500s, is what is offensive. So, the condemnation of the use of the word gypped has in fact introduced into the conversation a word which is actually offensive while the word condemned is merely misunderstood. Here is an excerpt detailing the history of the word gypped:

A person who cheats or swindles people. A trickster. A person who is not quite honest. Gyp is the Greek word for vulture. In the 19th century, the Universities of Cambridge and Durham in England provided servants, who attended one or more undergraduates. Students called the servants “gyps” because the gyps found many ways of obtaining ale and tips from them and preyed upon the students like vultures. Gyps made beds, ran errands, helped their young masters over the college walls late at night, and provided other services. Sometimes they ran away with everything they could lay their hands on.

Jordan Almond, Dictionary of Word Origins: A History of the Words, Expressions, and Clichés We Use, Citadel Press, New York, 1985, page 113.

Posted by: jcmcvb | December 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Y'all keep me coming back. I also was surprised at Hannan's foot speed. Not nearly as slow as he was made out to be. I remember when I lived in St. Louis I always hated when the Blues played the Sharks because of Hannan, and it appears that he's just older and wiser and not too much worse for wear. I like the trade a lot.

You know, I think Ms. Carrera made an honest mistake. However, I feel strongly (obviously), that it is her job as a writer to know better, and it is especially her editor's job to catch racist remarks. I do not think Ms. Carrera is racist, just to be clear, but the fact is she used a racial slur.

If your grandparents and great-uncles suffered genocide at the hands of the Nazis, persecution because of their ethnicity, if your cousins had been beaten by police because of their race, you would agree with me, I'd hope.

I am astonished that the posts on this comment section are so ignorant and bigoted. I feel like I'm back in the deep south. Surely no one would be arguing with me had Ms. Carrera used an Afican-American racial slur.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it time to NOT worry about Sid and the Pens

um...no! Pens are looking better every week, so yes I worry about them! There is no law stating that a teams rival HAS to be within the division.

1st...I would under NO circumstances assume we have the best team! There are at least 3-4 other teams right now that are looking pretty darn good...Pens, Flyers, Red Wings...

2nd

Not just our owner bringing up the rivalry...if u haven't noticed HBO is doing a SHOW on it! I get that you might be sick of it...heck sometimes I am...but rivalries are fun, and Hockey is a GAME, so some childish behavior might do you some good...get that whatever thats stuck up ur...well anyway...I have been a fan for 12 yrs (I am only in my 20s) so not sure badwagon applies to me...heck I miss the days of level 1 tickets that sold for 30 bucks!

I'll tell you what I tell the kids I teach...just b/c you don't like something, does not mean the people that do like it are wrong...thats why we have choc. and vanilla. Now stop being so testy, and be nice.

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Without flippant regard"

correction

"With flippant regard"

Yo no puedo hablar ingles.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

...o escribir

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Most Sincerely,
[signed]

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 10:11 AM

WOW. LOL! This might be the most pathetic thing I have ever seen.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Thank you vermoncaps, steveo and Steve_R,

The PC bs is really out of control and quite frankly I am sick and tired of it.

As far as Hannon goes I thought he looked great out there, didn't see him out of position one time and that says a lot for a guy playing his frst game on a new team. He is going to be an awesome addition to the PK as well, reads the play very well.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@jvmcvb: The word "gypped" has come to be applied as a racial slur to the Romani. The "n" word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning the color "black". The "n" word has come to be applied as a racial slur to African-Americans. So you see the similarity here in application.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Carrera: Thank you for editing your article. As a loyal reader of Capitals Insider, I sincerely appreciate it.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@django11

What is your response to what jcmcvb had to say? It seems as though you, not Katie, are the one who made an honest misake and misinterpreted the meaning of the word.

That isn't her fault, it is yours.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Would have been nice to watch video of the controversial call on the Caps website. Or the NHL website. Coach even talks about it in his press conference, but you'd never know how close it was if you watch the packaged highlights.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | December 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

2 things stick out in my mind from yesterday:
1..for the first time in his Caps career, Fehr showed no hesitation in coming to the aid of a teammate, jumping right in there to support his captain in a scrum...KUDOS; Meanwhile, Shultz (the largest man on the ice) stood there bewildered as Ott appeared to be trying to get at Ovi...SHAMEFUL
2. Alan May spoke of how competition for ice time benefits everyone (in reference to varly/neuvy)....yet BB comes out and says "when everyone's healthy and able, Erskine will be the odd man out." His favoritism was on display for all to see, or else he would've said, "We'll play the 6 dmen who we feel gives us the best chance to win that night." No wonder Shultz and Alzner show no passion or hustle; why should they? They're entitled to their ice time because their names aren't Erskine (who again, for the umpteenth time, is top-3 d on team in HITS, BLOCKED SHOTS, FIGHTS,GOALS,POINTS which is good enough to be an injury fill-in)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

And lets keep an open mind here people. We can educated ourselves and pontificate all we want.

But what it comes down to is the individual/group, and how THEY are affected by our actions.

If you consider that first, hopefully you will end up on the right side of things.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Would have been nice to see a replay of the end of the game call on the Caps/NHL websites. Coach goes on for two minutes in his presser about a call and it's not even in the highlights package.

Epic FAIL.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | December 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Just watched BBs post game presser and I am proud of him! Ge called the league out and they deserved it...the rules are so gray in some areas and there is no transparency.

If they don't want to allow coaches to challenge a goal thats fine...but expand the types of plays that can be reviewed then. Coaches are arguing every game over calls b/c every game the rules are different.

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

IMO, Alzner shows more passion every game than any hockey player ever.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

One thing no one has pointed out is the tendency for muffs, whiffs, errant passes, pucks that were errantly handed to the other team, etc, continued last night. The Dallas announcers were joking about it because it affected Stars players too. Was it the ice? They did not mention ice as a concern and they seemed shocked actually at the "comedy" of these plays. Really though, Ovi has been a "whiff machine" for a few weeks now, like nothing I've ever seen. That was my thought last night, I've been watching for years and years and have never seen so much whiffing.

Until someone comes up with an explanation, I'm calling it "Whiffgate." mrstominsocal1 even suggested (jokingly I think) that maybe Ovi is whiffing due to something with Russian mafia. I hope she didn't mean that.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

django, would you be offended if I called you retarded?

Posted by: chatton | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

For shame chatton! Now a days, it's mentally challanged. Got it?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Did Green's minutes go down? Or should I say, as a result of Hannan coming in and Sloan scarfing down hot dogs, were D times better balanced?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3: see my post above yours in response to jcmcvb...we must have been writing at the same time.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM

Im hurt Tom. I have been saying that for weeks now.

lots of whiffs and toepicks, bad ice? bad luck? VOODOO?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

verom.

Nobody has a sense of humour anymore. Nonnoe can laugh at themselves anymore. I am an Irishman and all the jokes about us makes me laugh. How did a people starve to death on an Island? More to the story of course. I steal find it funny. Buy a fishing rod and stop eatting diseased potates.

Posted by: pkme | December 3, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If you have not seen this, Mike Milbury saying very complimentary things about the Caps. Good read.

Posted by: doughless | December 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@django11

Would you also say that when you use the phrase "Welch on a bet" it is offensive to people from Wales? Welch is a variant for Welsh. Just because a word is thought to be derogatory does not mean that it is derogatory. There is a difference. It depends on how it is used and the intent. In this case, the original meaning is meant. To be robbed. Not the incorrect meaning, to act like a 'gypsy'.

Posted by: jcmcvb | December 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

Saw that this morning and almost choked on my coffee :) Maybe he is going for credibility this season?

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@chatton: I would be offended if a Washington Post or NY Times writer used the word "retarded" in the way you applied it. The issue here is professionalism. Everyone makes mistakes, however, and another ingredient of professionalism is correcting them, which Ms. Carrera has done. The topic to me is closed, therefore.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I meant still not steal. Noone was intended.

Posted by: pkme | December 3, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

May I suggest an alternative, since you already created "Chucklegate". How about, "Whiffapalooza" ?

For the record, that is is no way aimed to offend any Whiffs (a commonly used slur against sommeliers).

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 3, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@pkme

I'm Irish too and the " do you bleed Guinness?" jokes are funny. appartently you can't have a sense of humor anymore

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Is this a hockey blog, or what??? I would rather have trolls here than the word police. go away, donkey!?!? oh wait, have I offended donkeys??

Posted by: doughless | December 3, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

To those who suggest it doesn't offend them because they are of a different ethnicity: find a Romani, tell him or her you got "gypped," and report back to me the reaction. Hint: it won't be positive. If you can't find a Romani, I'm not surprised, because the few that are in America tend not to admit it because of the extreme prejudice they faced in Europe for years. Our lack of exposure to Romani tends to make us not sensitive to their troubles.

I am Irish, and being Irish or Welsh vs. being a displaced people without a home that has suffered countless atrocities throughout history and continues to suffer extreme prejudice and injustices without many advocates is a categorically different scenario. I'd suggest those who disagree with me visit the wikipedia page to which I linked a while back. Educate yourselves on what these people have gone through, and then you may understand why I am so passionate about this. The Romani simply have had no one to stick up for them for centuries, and I'm doing my part.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

On the Milbury post:

For those of you that dont know, the guy actually knows hockey pretty darn well. The problem for him is when you put a camera in front of him, he goes off the deep end trying to be a personality so that he can make money. Take the camera away and he'd be fine.

Posted by: ThePat | December 3, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 11:47 AM |

That's right. So next time people chant "Pens suck" or "Flyers sucks" or "Rangers suck" I expect you to be the first person back here to talk to us about how THEY are affected by our actions.

People: Get over yourselves.

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Looking very much forward to seeing Hannan displaying his hockey skills this weekend (even though I don't want it to be inferred that my statement means I don't think Tyler Sloan isn't worthy of playing in the game) when we engage the Thrashers and hopefully obtain a earned victory against the opposing team, even though I believe they, too, are worthy of a victory and would not want it to be perceived that I thought any less of the talents of the players on the Thrashers but just want the Capitals to win a home game because I like the team, even though I have nothing against the city of Atlanta as I'm certain the citizens of Atlanta are really nice people.

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

too funny....I think i've heard others similarly say Alzner is the reincarnate of Messier, Hunter, and Stevens combined (I wasn't trying to be critical of Alzner in my post as I've been; what's wrong w/a rookie watching a few games from the press box on a SC contending team??)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

He may know hockey, but he has a history of racially questionable remarks, he was a TERRIBLE GM, and a pretty bad player...wasn't he also a coach at some point?

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

django:

that is great, but we are here to talk/argue about HOCKEY!! take the histrionics (and misinformation)elsewhere, donk!

now, I think Milbury acts like an azz on tv just to get a rise out of people (kind of like Don Cherry except without the ridiculous suits). i think his CBC piece by Dilbury is spot on.

Posted by: doughless | December 3, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by django11

So why are you still here? You obviously think we are racists and "accept it with a smile and a la-di-da" so just go away already so we can get back to talking about HOCKEY which is what this blog is for!

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the Romani sleep better at night during their deportations from France knowing that in America a guy is sticking up for them in the comments section of a hockey blog.

You're such a hero, django. Thanks for "doing your part"

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 3, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Random:

Thought I'd share the nightmare I had last night...(swear this is true)

Dreamed that the Caps gave away Alzner after the signed that new guy (Brett something) to an NHL entry contract. All I remember is BB and GM then saying they thought the new kid had talent and he needed some NHL experience and with Hannan we were overstocked on defense.

I woke up feeling VERY anxious!

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@django11

You feel the way you do which is fine. This is a hockey blog not a blog about which words should or should not be used.

We are here to read and write about hockey. If you feel as strongly as you do about this subject then I suggest going to a different blog where people are on the blog to write about that subject.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@aadcderm

now we're rolling....nice lol

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

He played almost 800 games in the NHL so far from a bad player. He coached the Bruins to a finals appearance and a conference finals appearance. He did fail as Islanders coach. And as a GM yes he was pretty bad, made some stupid deals.

Posted by: ThePat | December 3, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This is an absolute first:

sgm3, PhilR, and doughless actually agree on a subject although sgm3 was much more diplomatic in the way he/she told django to not go away mad but to just GO AWAY!

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

aadcderm,

Well played.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@GFisher1: it is an issue of journalistic professionalism, not what fans say is not my specific grip here. As for your second comment, you sound sad and cynical. I feel sorry for you. It has to start somewhere. I may not have changed your mind, but I accomplished my goal, which is to get the article edited. When you're going up against centuries of prejudice, it takes little steps from us all. You are like the man who sees a black man whipped and goes back to his work.

@doughless: what misinformation? nothing like an internet comment section to make accusations and not back it up.

@PhilR: I'll gladly discuss hockey, except I've tried to close the topic a couple of times and folks keep posting responses. I am sticking around until the prejudice stops.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

So now caps fans are dreaming of Alzner?? We are in trouble indeed......

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Gypsy Road is an awesome song. That is all.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 3, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The topic to me is closed, therefore.

Posted by: django11
-----------

Alright Capsfans, I think it's time to stop pummeling django, everybody's made their point and he considers it closed, so maybe we all should, too - so, back to hockey...

The game itself was an intense game between two strong teams - but for me it was marred unreasonably by 1) the ice, atrocious; and 2) that was, by far, one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen, even over and above the Carlson non-goal.

And it ain't just me - both May and Laugher, two very smart hockey guys, seemed in disbelief at times.

That, and Neuvy simply has got to make that save on their 2nd; soft goal at a terrible time.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 3, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

WWJD? (What Would JohnErskine Do?)

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

oh brother, a self-righteous do-gooder. You are making big steps in world peace, chump. go pat yourself on the back and leave us racists to talk about hockey. now I will IGNORE!

Posted by: doughless | December 3, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

If all 7 defensemen are healthy and Alzner goes through a bad stretch of games, I think it would be fine to sit him for a game or two to regroup himself.

But when he is playing, like he is now, with a passion that blazes like a fire that will never be extinguished, how can you sit him?

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one who thought it poor coaching for BB to guarantee playing time to certain individuals once the injury-bug plays out? PLEASE, PLEASE somebody else tell me they thought it improper, too (otherwise, i'm left thinking everyone really is blinded by the spell of BB and GMGM).....if not, then can someone explain to me how it was smart,proper,and good coaching for him to say what he did? thanks.....

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

django11:
in a perfect world there wouldn't be any... nevermind - the world we live in isn't perfect

racism, prejudices and injustices will exist in some form as long as humans exist. people are who they are.

when i read the original post - my first thought had nothing to do with gypsies as a people.

gay used to mean happy - not any more and it does get used in a derogatory way today.

sometimes the meaning of a word changes and has nothing to do with racism or prejudices. katie didn't write anything offensive. as time goes on things are ever evolving - imo - this is one of them.

words can only hurt you if you let them.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 3, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@aadcderm

That's what I'm talking about!! Johnny E. would take no prisoners, and we wouldn't have to subject ourselves to django11's drivel.....Erskine would kick his a@@ and shut that trap

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

no lie...last season I dreamed about the Caps almost every week...very disturbing I know!

So anyone think Semin has another hat trick tomorrow since it is a home game?

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Um, are we watching the same player?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 3, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 -

I will grant you Alzner's been playing well - and certainly well-enough to keep playing solid minutes, but "with a passion that blazes like a fire that will never be extinguished" seems a bit much.

Just kidding dude, I know I was down on him this summer but you were right, he's been solid.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: Exaclty, it is about the current application. If the Romani people choose to reclaim "gypped" as an attempt to de-stigmatize the word, then that is up to them. However, it is not up to us as non-members of their ethnic community to decide whether the word is an offensive racial slur.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 12:37 PM

vtcaps - i agree, why would BB list players he thinks should be playing once all of the injuries are gone. one would hope the BB would pick the player that best provides a chance to win and give that player a jersey.
that said - as much as i like what erskine brings to the team - i still thing he is 7th on the depth chart.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I didn't like that he said that, but it also doesn't really concern me. If someone is playing poorply, BB will scratch them.

I agree that Erskine is playing great, but in reality he is a 5-7 D man. He will still get plenty of games...esp. since Poti can only play 1 in 3 it seems. Hannan can be paired against another teams hot shot...Erskine can't...that is why he may be scratched some.

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps: From Erskine's tweets, he seems like a reasonable and nice guy. I'm sure he'd at least be open to my ideas, which is more than I can say for many folks here. In fact, I'd love to have Erskine by my side if I ever saw a Romani being accused of having "gypped" someone, cause the guy will regret having said it.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

This is an absolute first:

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 12:29 PM

Phil: Had cstanton1 also indicated his approval, it would have consituted the first sign of the apocalypse.

Capt Kirk: I always watch old movies on TCM and it always amuses me any time one of the actresses says in a line, "Oh, and everyone was so gay!" What amuses me isn't anything to do with someone's life style but they way words really do change. Just like if one of the actor's says in a line, "Boy, she was really tight!" Meant a way different thing then as now.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Boudreau's comments are designed to motivate Erskine. You know, see if Carlson and Alzner relax a bit after they hear that, maybe that's good, maybe that'd bad. Maybe Erskine gets a fire lit under him and challenges them for ice time, their level of play goes up, etc. Or maybe Boudreau and Erskine have talked and Erskine feels he contributes best when he doesn't play every game. Or maybe there's a team agreement about line-ups for certain teams dependent on available personnel.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

django11:
i'd have a great time continuing a discussion on word origins, how they affect people, being PC or not PC.
i've seen hundreds of 'off topics' here that have nothing to do with hockey - but i'll let this one go and just say: i can respect how you feel.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps,

I have been known for a very long time as a GMGM and BB basher and yes, those types of comments should NEVER come out of your coaches mouth. Guys should not be guaranteed ice time in any way, shape or form. Erskine has played extremely well this year and deserves (IMO) to be in the regular rotation. I think the only guys who should be in the line up every night are Green, Carlson and if last night is any indicator Hannan. Schultz, Poti, Alzner and Erskine should be rotating with one of them being odd man out each game.

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

From Erskine's tweets, he seems like a reasonable and nice guy.
-----------

A woman I briefly dated many moons ago met #4 at a charity thing and said he was unbelievably down to earth and just a very cool guy.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 3, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

See, thats whats great about hockey. It brings people from different backgrounds together.

If I were not a hockey fan, there is no way I would have any kind of discourse with some people.

(I still reserve the right to ignore the ignorant and absurd)

GO CAPS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Also, who saw the BB press conf remarks? Could he face discipline? The NHL has very little tolerance for critcism of the refs.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

all Erskine talk 24/7 on here... if I didn't know any better, I'd say some of you were being paid to talk about him.

how about talking about the guy who wears the C and can't put the puck in the net all of a sudden for amost of a tenth of the season??

Posted by: joek443 | December 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

BB should not have said that...butif someone is underperforming he will not hesitate to out Erskine in.

@Tom

I think if BB does get a fine, it will just spark the players even more. The NHL needs more transparency, and BB had every right to call the refs and league out...good for him!

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

As long as Ovechkin is dishing passes for goals and running over guys in choice moments, he can go 9 games without a goal in my book. Just because we are accustomed to him putting the team on his back with scoring doesn't mean he can't do it in other ways.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

yup..Ovie sucks now...no heart! I mean he is 3rd in point and assists! PATHETIC!!! And he doesn't elevate the players around him either...I mean we are BARELY 1st in the East, Semin didn't get ANY help with those goals from Ovie! MaJo didn't benefit from the experience of playing with AO and Backstrom hasn't picked up his game at all these past two weeks...

We should trade him while he still has some value!

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

i take #4's game at this point over Alzner (or Poti). Alzner may be faster and more of a pretty boy, but he doesn't thump opposing players the way Lumberjack does. We have plenty of "positional" d-men. Less so bruisers. Use Alzner against fast teams.

Posted by: doughless | December 3, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

For those of us who couldn't watch the game, how did Hannan play?

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | December 3, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@doughless

actually Schultz seems to be the one struggling lately...maybe give him a wake up call first?

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

are you serious writing a letter to the Post to complain about a word?. 4 years ago people where complaining why can't the Caps get more coverage, then more people start ciovering Caps and then people start complaining that people writing know nothing about hockey...Then you take offense to a word that is used everyday and you write a letter, seriously....I hope everyone stops covering the Caps, then people will finally be greatful for what they have. seriously people have to have something to constantly WHINE and CRY about.

Posted by: cocorules | December 3, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 3, 2010 12:58 PM

because we're not all negative nancy's here - sorry if i offended any nancy's :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 3, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

OMG a TENTH of the season!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: capscoach | December 3, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

A year ago I made a detailed analysis of Ovechkin's non-goal in the 3rd period of game 7 against Montreal: making the case that goalie interference should be reviewable. It seems kinda relevant again after the end of yesterday's game:

(Notice I said "robbed" - not offensive unless you're a Hab.

Posted by: OakdenWolf | December 3, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I think the guy's been playing pretty well, he's an underrated playmaker and people are finally noticing [and he's #3] overall in the league in pts., IIRC - and would have way more if #22 hadn't been so brutal to start the year, but whatever - plus his team's playing very good hockey, and he's acting like a true leader, coming to the aid of teammates like with MJ last night, etc.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 3, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Make light all you want, but I don't think many would be laughing about this if the article had contained "nigged" or "jewed." "Gyped" is equivalently unacceptable. I can keep going all day, everybody. I've tried to drop it, and you all keep bringing it back up.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations django11. The entire meaning of the sentence has been changed due to your pathetic PCism. The change has GYPPED me of the true meaning of what KC was trying to say. BTW, I have Romani blood, though a little (sorry if I offend any midgets here), and the word GYPPED does not bother me in the least. Nor do many of the other words the word police have attacked.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 3, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think many would be laughing about this if the article had contained "nigged" or "jewed." "Gyped" is equivalently unacceptable"

@django11

I completely disagree and am deeply offended by your remarks.

I want you to apologize immediately for offending me so deeply by your flippant remarks and for the Washington Post to have your remarks removed.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Why do you people who want the word discussion dropped (or wanted it never to arise) feel the need to keep bringing it up?

Dig Hannan. Only saw the last half of the game, but add me to the chorus of people who didn't "notice" him once.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: I'd gladly entertain why you are offended, if you can articulate it. However, I'd ask that you first consider my reasoning: all three words are racial slurs used in a derogatory way towards historically maligned ethnic communities that have suffered great atrocities. All three words have a common goal: to sustain a prejudicial attitude towards an ethnic community.

@realoldcapsfan: I'm shocked that as an individual with Romani blood, you find the word "gypped" acceptable. And I'm amazed that you would find it acceptable for use by a professional journalist. I think those Romani displaced and currently being prejudiced against in Europe would not share your opinion. Do you disagree?

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

You mean Ovi? The same guy who also went 9 games w/out a goal in the 08-09 season. The same season he ended up winning the Hart Trophy, Pearson Award and Richard Trophy (most goals)? That guy?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1: +1

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@django11

I am deeply offended by this. It is sickening to me.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Thank god, a new thread.....django you stay on this one K? Thanks!

Posted by: PhilR | December 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@smg3: I choose the slurs most identically defined, most identically applied, to the most identically maligned groups throughout history. I'm open to your suggestions of other similarly defined racial slurs that I may have overlooked in my illustration of the magnitude of the offensive effect of the word "gypped."

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR: Unfortunately, the first comment brought it up over there. I'd love to drop this and move on. Hopefully, folks won't add to that first comment. I am not commenting on it, but I promise to be there if anyone keeps this going on that new thread.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@django11

Now I understand that was your intent when you wrote those words, but it still doesn't take away the fact that you deeply offended me when you wrote them. Therefore I think you should apologize for your unintentional offensive remarks.

Just as Katie did not have any negative intent when she wrote her words but you were offended by them and demanded them changed.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: For the record, I never requested that Ms. Carrera apologize for her mistake, only that it be corrected. She acknowledged the mistake and made the correction. I, however, did not mistakenly use the words in question, but rather pointed to them in order to illustrate their offensiveness. I am relieved you agree that all three words are offensive, and that we should stand firm that they not be used unless to educate their offensiveness to those ignorant of their harmful effects.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Great game by the Caps last night. Hannan played exactly how I expected him to. Oh, and to everyone jumping on django11, all of your mothers, wives and daughters are ugly whor*s! Awww, I hope none of you were offended by that.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 3, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Within certain bounds, we all have the right to offend people with our comments on this blog, sg.

My thinking that going after "gypped" may be pushing it a bit too far doesn't alter the fact that Carrera's a writer for the Post, not a commenter.

AND now you're just being an a$$ with your comments going after django.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@django11

So you are refusing to apologize to me because YOU did not find it offensive? Eventhough you spent the entire morning telling others that the shouldn't use the word Katie used because you and others found it offensive but not the user of the word itself.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: I find all three words offensive unless used in the context of education, which was the context in which I was using the three words. Let me ask you to clarify two important points so that I can understand your issue: are you offended by the uttering or writing of these words under any circumstances whatsoever? If so, how are we to educate those who are ignorant of their harmful effects?

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@django11

As I said earlier, I'm offended that you only choose those common slurs to compare to the one used today. That implies that you consider other slurs to be less hurtful. I am deeply offended that you consider those other slurs to be less hurtful as it implies you are bigoted towards only protecting certain groups of people effected by racial slurs but not all groups of people effected by all types of slurs.

This is sort of saying that the other groups of people effected by slurs are not as important as the groups you mentioned. I find that sort of ranking of races to be offensive.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

to my fellow caps fans: i love you all :) That said, thanks for putting up w/my pro-ersine rants all the time (and a double thanks to any and all who express love and appreciation for lumberjack)...sgm3, your last response to me (alzner's passion blazing) was priceless, i do look forward to reading your responses.

The team is playing well, Hannan's a good pick-up, and even though we were gypped a point last night it was a solid performance. Looking forward to the next few games, anychance we'll see DJK against Toronto??

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: I have already responded to that part of your concern in my comment posted at 2:08 pm. You are either offended by my use of the words in any context or are offended that I didn't use more examples of offensive words. These are contradictory, and I'd ask you clarify to prevent your argument from falling into infinite regression.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: django11

Now I am offended by your inability to understand what I am saying.

You only included two other references as racial slurs. You made no mention of other slurs used to offend other races when comparing them to the slur Katie used.

This use of only two other slurs without reference to the other races effected by other slurs shows that you are only out there to protect certain races because you feel that those races are above all the other races you intentionally failed to mention.

You judged that these races effected by many slurs are not worthy to be a part of your "quest" for equal treatment.

You robvious classification that some races are more important than others is disgusting and offensive.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: I'd ask you again to refer to my original response to your repeated claims, posted at 2:08 pm. I await your specific response, and would ask that you not simply repeat your claim another time. Of course, if you have no response, please feel free to indicate that you surrender the argument.

For your convenience, I've provided a copy below:

I chose the slurs most identically defined, most identically applied, to the most identically maligned groups throughout history. I'm open to your suggestions of other similarly defined racial slurs that I may have overlooked in my illustration of the magnitude of the offensive effect of the word "gypped."

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

You've jumped the rails, sg.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

stop engaging w/django11....you're wasting too much brain cells on him, i want you to keep your hockey senses as sharp and quick as always.

I was thinking about how i'm constantly advocating for Erskine, and it brought me back 25 years ago having similar debates as to who was better: langway or stevens. As you can guess, I was a stevens fan ( the best all-round dman to ever don a Caps jersey, imo)....so everything stays the same, only the names change (langway= shultz/alzner.....stevens=erskine)....i might be living in the past somewhat, but i sure hope the future isn't the past revisited

That I actually connected Shultz and Alzner with Langway might bring you back to hockey......besides, i'm sure if django11 had his way there'd be no fighting in hockey so why bother?

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps: Ah, you couldn't tell that I love a good fight? :) I really love how Erskine has been playing lately, and how the Caps defensive corps has come together overall.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps: by the way, I have reported you for abuse because of your use of a racial slur in your post at 3:40 pm. Racial prejudice will not be tolerated. Period.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@django11

You are the epitomy of hypocrisy.

You call out Katie and others on this board for making unitentional offensive comments, but yet you refuse to apologize when you do so yourself. The fact that you left off all those other slurs and refused to even recognize the slurs used on other races was offensive. After the moment you posted it, you offended people of all of those races, whether you meant to or not.

You inability to see the similarity in your actions to the actions you were criticizing just a few hours ago shows that you are not on here to promote equality but are only on here in a vain attempt to boost your ego by telling yourself you are helping others. When you are actually offending many of the same people you were claiming to protect.

@vermontcaps

No worries. We have all season to discuss the play of Alzner and Erskine, and hopefully both continue to get better(along with all Caps defensemen) to make it an even more difficult decision on who to sit.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@django11

i feel like i'm doing all that i can for the team by trying to drum-up support for Erskine amongst the fan base.....it saddens me that he's already been labled a "lame-duck" by coach BB.....I think you replied earlier that perhaps BB said what he said concerning playing time to fire up Erskine...he's not the one who needs a fire lit under him, the man gives 110% ...he plays each shift as if it's his last, while others seem to play without care which suggests to me a sense of entitlement

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Great. Now using "gay" as an implied insult.

De-railed.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

does this mean i have to change my cat's name, Gypsie? Has my family offended people because we named an animal after a people?

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps: Making light of prejudice against Romani is equally disturbing to making light of prejudice against African-Americans, Jews, and other historically maligned ethnic groups. Using the word "gypped" is no joke--it is racist. I hope you reconsider your use of the word.

@sgm3: You have no new response. I guess you often lose arguments in this way.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Ok, cool, I'm glad we've reached the point where feeling "a little gay" is a non-insulting way to say you're being warm towards someone.

Riiiight.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@django11

You really are not very bright. I will try to make this simple for you.

Your OMISSION of other races was offensive because it showed that you consider some races of people more important than others.

You are a bigot who pretends to be preaching equality in a vain attempt to try to prove to yourself you are self-righteous.

I also find it funny that you think this is an argument. I just keep pointing out the hyporcrisy in your statements and then you follow that up by not being able to understand what I am saying. Being unable to understand the person you are talking to because they are over your head doesn't mean you win anything. It just shows you are not very bright.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: You said "you left off all those other slurs and refused to even recognize the slurs used on other races was offensive." Except, I asked you what the other slurs would be and you have not responded. Also, I was using slurs in common with the slur "gypped," of which there are two others that illustrate the effect best because of the larger African-American and Jewish population in the U.S. compared to Romani. I recognize that there are many other racial slurs. The ones I mentioned were to serve my point that the word "gypped" is equally offensive to others that the common American might automatically find offensive. Your reaction proves my point.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

OK, show you brightness, sg:

Do you understand that his or her point is that, in using those terms within the context of a discussion, as examples, is non- or less offensive, and that a failure to list all the offensive words in the world does not constitute a bias for or against those used?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@sgm: That last comment was an expansion of my earlier explanation, which should have satisfied your complaint. I hope now you understand why I didn't list each and every racial slur in existence, but used a select two in order to illustrate my point. Will you require further explanation?

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@django11

I did not feel the need to say other racial slurs just as I did not feel the need to repeat the slurs you keep on stating. There are plenty, you aleady stated that you know them. There is no need to specify all of them. But ALL of them deserve the same respect as all others.

You never stated that. Your omission offended me as I took that as a bigotted statement. You later said it was unintentional, but the statement you made was still bigotted which is you should apologize.

Especially after what you were preaching this morning. A refusal to do so shows that you personally do not believe in what you were saying. That you are more of a "do as I say not as I do" type of person.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@stevie-in-gp

whatever...in case you didn't recognize my screename, i live in a state that honors and respects homosexuals....the word "gay" is not an insult here; i'm sorry that it is in your little neck of the woods

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@djangle11 and stevie-in-gp

sorry, off to sons' hockey practices and can't continue this STUPID conversation; take care, have a good weekend, and i hope to never see either of you on these threads again

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: As I said, my choice of slurs was based on ethnic communities with which my audience would be most familiar. In an educational context, which is what my comments were, I felt those two comments would best illustrate my point. In my original letter I said "equivalent to the use of similar words like..." and did not therefore imply exclusion of other racial slurs. To draw similarity between two or more things does not imply exclusion of those things not mentioned. Thinking otherwise is an assumption based on your bias and not my words.

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@vermon,

Yeah, right, your screen name is too subtle. (One of my favorite states, by the way.) Didn't realize that Vermont had outlawed the use of the term by its residents as an insult.

Glad you and I agree, then.

(And big neck of the woods down here, actually.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@django11

So you wrote something that offended me eventhough you never intended it to offend me and didn't even know it was offensive to begin with. Correct?

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so much anger, vermon.

Gotta let that go, bud - the whole "never see either of you" was just plain mean.

/mocking

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

@django11

Look at your 1:38 post. You only selected two words and made no mention of the rest. I still find that comment to be, at best, racially insensitive. At worst, biggoted. Either way, you offended me and probably many others. For that you should apologize.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: Your offense was taken as a result of your failure to understand that comparing two or more things does not necessarily imply exclusion of other things. My offense was taken as a result of someone's deliberate use of a word in context that further perpetuates a racial stereotype. Different categories of offense. In your case, your offense was a result of your failure to understand my writing. Therefore, you are responsible for your own feelings of being offended, and I cannot help you there except to say you ought to read more carefully next time. Have a good weekend, and Go Caps!!

Posted by: django11 | December 3, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Some of us just understood the point you were making, FunkyG.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 3, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

As jcmcvb pointed out in his 11:36 am post that the word used by Katie comes from the Greek word "Gyp" meaning vulture. That is a fact. The context it was used in does not necessarily implies any racial context as it does have a meaning completely void of racial undertones.

So you were offended by your inability to understand Katie's writing. Just like you are saying I was offended by my inability to understand your writing.

Therefore, to quote you, "you are responsible for your own feelings of being offended."

You can have it one way or the other, but not both.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 3, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

WOW! My last two posts on this thread were deleted. I'm not sure if this was because someone reported them or if someone on the CI staff decided they (the 2 deleted posts) were offensive.

Katie,
Can you or someone else at CI please explain?

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 4, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes, several of my posts were deleted as well, a couple in this thread and at least one in the next thread. I'm not sure why. Welcome to the wonderful world of censorship.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 4, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse