Posted at 7:04 AM ET, 12/ 1/2010

Capitals looking forward to facing Jaroslav Halak

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

Word out of the St. Louis camp was that the Blues intend on starting goaltender Jaroslav Halak when the Capitals visit the Gateway to the West on Wednesday. While last spring may seem like a long time ago, there's no mistaking that Washington wouldn't mind putting a few pucks behind Halak at Scottrade Center.

Halak hasn't missed a beat in transitioning from the Montreal Canadiens to a new city and new team in the Blues. He's 10-6-2 with a .911 save percentage and 2.37 goals-against average.

"You always want revenge, I think," Nicklas Backstrom said. "He was stopping us from being further in the playoffs, so it's good to have the opportunity to play against him and we're all looking forward to it.

"It's a great opportunity to get back a little bit. He's a great goaltender, he was unbelievable last year in the playoffs so it's going to be fun to play against him again. Maybe we can have some more traffic in front of the net and score more goals."

Said Mike Green: "He obviously had our number, and it'd be nice to maybe get some goals on him because of the lack of them we had against Montreal."

Even a rather diplomatic Brooks Laich: "I think it's a different situation; he's on a different team. The rivalry was more between us and Montreal than us and one guy. I guess I'm a little indifferent, but still, I'd like to score on him."

FROM THE POST
The Capitals have sought a shut-down defenseman for some time now and on Tuesday they got the player they were looking for in Scott Hannan, who was acquired from Colorado in a trade that sent Tomas Fleischmann to the Avalanche.

Don't forget, I'll be answering questions about Hannan, Wednesday's game against the Blues and any other Caps questions you ask at 1 p.m. (EST). Submit questions here.

AROUND THE WEB
More analysis on the Hannan-for-Fleischmann trade from: ESPN, CSN Washington and the Denver Post.

In Hershey, Patrick McNeill is getting closer to returning to the lineup after shoulder surgery this summer. But Keith Aucoin is still waiting to fully recover from a knee injury. (Tim Leone)

By Katie Carrera  | December 1, 2010; 7:04 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup, St. Louis Blues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who would you pair Scott Hannan with?
Next: Live Caps Q&A: Today, 1 p.m.

Comments

Slept like a baby last night with the knowledge that I would not have to see Flush in a Caps jersey ever again! The guy just does not fit in to the chemistry of the team this year as he was the weakest of the 6 forwards that take up the first two lines and did not have the skill set (grit) to play the 3rd. Good luck to him in Colorado and hope Hannan hasn't lost a step since last I saw him....if he hasn't he will be a good addition.

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

"Washington traded former Bears winger Tomas Fleischmann to the Colorado Avalanche for defenseman Scott Hannan. The move theoretically could pave the way for an assignment of defenseman Tyler Sloan to Hershey (with waiver implications) and open the door to a recall for Andrew Gordon or Mathieu Perreault."

Posted by: puckman | December 1, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

And to everyone that has been bashing Hannan, I was reading the Avalanche blogs and their fans certainly were not pleased to lose him so that says something for him. He may have only been getting 18 minutes of ice time per game this season but averaged over 22 last. And from what I hear they were heavy at D with a lot of young guys ready to step in leaving a vet or two as an expendable piece as they have Foote to be the vet mentor out there.

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

puckman,

That is exactly what I was saying yesterday.....there is no way they should (or will) in my opinion carry eight dmen. I was hoping for either AGordon or Beagle however as I really do think the 1st three lines are set now so Perrault would not fit as he surely is not a fourth line player.

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

i don't think our 3rd line is set . BB likes 3 scoring lines and 1 grind line. so

ovi,backs,Knubs
Laich,Mojo,Semin
Chimmer, Perrault,Fehr
Hendricks,Stecks/gordo,bradly

that would make sense seeing as neither steckel or gordon are good 3rd line centers,just service there when needed

Posted by: Jgray85 | December 1, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Jgray85,

Completely disagree with you and think BB is coming to the realization that you need a shut down 3rd line to put out there against the other teams number 1 line so I see the third line being set with:

ChimChim/BGordon or Steckel/Hendricks

4th line:

AGordon or Beagle/BGordon or Steckel/Brads

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I also like the line of

ChimChim/Hendricks/Brads

when BGordon is hurt (which is often).

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"Slept like a baby last night with the knowledge that I would not have to see Flush in a Caps jersey ever again!" ...

PhilR, I am with ya dude. We have an email distribution list of Caps fans at work. Here is a transcription from one of the members that was directed at me:
"[my real name], your pain and disappointment has been alleviated. We got a solid veteran defenseman for an underachieving dime a dozen European winger. Win-win."

I had been blasting Flash all year on that email list. The turnovers and puck battle losses in the corners were driving me nuts. And, he wasn't prducing. Having said that I wish Flash well and hope that he does well.

BTW, before yesterday if someone asked me who is Scott Hannan I would have said he's a steady dman that plays for the Sharks. :) Didn't he gain some notoriety for shutting down Peter Forsberg in the playoffs a few years back? If he can come close to doing that now the Caps just improved their chances in the playoffs.

Oh yeah, I hope the Caps light up Halak.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Tonight the caps should run the goalie. There is nothing like being knocked off your game then to have to worry about someone knocking you on your butt.

Posted by: caps512 | December 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Brooksie, you're too diplomatic (and I should know, I'm a diplomat). Personally, I hope they TORCH Halak. Time for us to exorcise that demon - and move on.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | December 1, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Did someone really think/say that the Caps are going to trade Mike Green for Brad Richards? Maybe then we can trade Semin for Sergei Gonchar... You've got to be kidding.

Posted by: truke | December 1, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

One thing that stands out to me about Hannan is that he is in his 11th season and has (previously) only been with 2 teams. That tells me that SJ & CO made him an integral part of their D, he wasn't just a journeyman to fill a gap until someone better came along. Looking forward to see what he adds, though I have to remind myself it may take a couple of weeks for him to really integrate into the team.

Posted by: ds_kelly | December 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Seems like about the worst thing consistently stated about Hannan is that he's not worth his $4.5M a year, but that's really not our worry. Pro-rated, whether $4.5 or $3.5 it's not going to make or break anything for us at the deadline.

The things that get me most excited about what I hear about the guy are how respected he is among the fans and teammates, how he leads by example, how durable he is, how he blocks shots, gets lots of PK minutes, and clears the crease. These are not everything, but they are great qualities. Although few gripes about the guy from Avs fan commentators, there's a far more consistent disappointment that he's gone.

Posted by: Justafan | December 1, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@truke

i would bet my mortgage we don't send green for richards....I would say alzner and maybe johannson plus mid level pick for richards. Richards won't come cheap but green is way too much for us to give up

Posted by: _stevo | December 1, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

LOL yet another prediction has come true...this trade brought us back postings from cstanton. Welcome back sir, stick around for a while.

@vermontcaps
For the record, I wasnt ignoring your question yesterday evening. I simply left work and had a hot date after...so I will reply now. =)

"That said, I haven't seen the same from Fehr this year("his earned 2nd line minutes"), can you enlighten me as I think of Fehr in the same light as Flash?

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 4:43 PM"

I agree that Fehr hasnt been living up to his expectations so far this year (although he has shown signs, just cant seem to get over that hump). My problem is, he's not a 3rd line guy. He (to me) screams 2nd line. When I said he has "earned his 2nd line minutes" I mostly meant as a result of last years performance. But due to the Flushdebacle, he was never going to get that chance (personally I think he played better than Flush last year, especially being that Flush played more 2nd line and with more skilled line mates). So he was relegated to the 3rd line. And quite honestly, he hasnt played terrible as a 3rd liner. But if we want him to put up 25 goals and play the way we are paying him to play, he will need 2nd line minutes. Lest we forget, he was one of if not our top points vs minutes played guys last year.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

What is with this love affair with MP from Caps fans. He is good behind the net. However he can not play defense, special teams, can not defend himself and can not check to save his life. Sure he can be a little pest on the forecheck and he has a little speed with some decent stick handling but that is where it ends. The Caps have many guys with his attributes but bigger, stronger and can play two dimensional hockey. Maybe I will be wrong but MP will never where a Caps Jersey full time. He is not nearly good enough to crack this lineup. Go two years and it does not get better for him. I like the guy but I do not think he can handle the rigors of an 82 game schedule. After call ups last year within three or four games he looked gased and ineffective. BB knew what he was doing when MJ made the line up.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

i wouldnt be surprised if this game ends 1-0 in a shootout since the caps cant score against halak and the blues cant score against anyone especially without 50 goal scoerer, TJ Oshie.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | December 1, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"ds_kelly" makes an interesting point further up the thread, one I haven't heard elsewhere and one that I think is worth consideration. I also think his last point--that it takes time to integrate a new player--is a sage point that makes me glad the Caps made this move NOW instead of at the deadline. I think many of us felt that last year's deadline moves never really meshed as well as we might have hoped, whereas the Chimera deal (made around Christmastime) worked out much better. Sure, the individual players involved are part of that, but the extra two months for the new guy to find his place in the lineup are not to be pooh-poohed too much either.

I assume Hannan will probably not play tonight but may be in the lineup tomorrow in Dallas.

Posted by: 1995hoo | December 1, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I am most excited that I never have to look at Flash's stupid face ever again.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been keeping up with the posts on the trade but has anyone said anything about how they think Hannan would match up with the likes of say, Bfuglien (sp?). If I were the Caps I would be worried about that guy.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

" would say alzner and maybe johannson plus mid level pick for richards."

That would be an awful trade from the Caps perspective. You would essentially be giving up your #2 center for the next few years who will be cheap(important in the SC era) and a top-4 D-man who will be anchoring the D with Carlson for at least the next few years. Who will also be inexpensive. This for a few months of BRichards.

That move would be horrendous, IMO.

Would that trade improve the Caps chances this year? Maybe. Would it significantly hurt the Caps chances in future years? Absolutely.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

If Hannan plays the way we expect, I think we'll really be sorry Poti is extended two more years when it could have been Hannan.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, just maybe this will make some room to put King in the lineup. Giving the team some serious teeth to go along with their 'dipsy doo' skill players and keeping Bradley away from a stitching needle for awhile. Yeah, yeah, yeah let me dream...

Posted by: FLDave | December 1, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to jinx it (knock on wood please)but I would not be surprised if this is the game Ovie breaks his scoring slump...I bet all the caps really want to break Halak...and they have been better about going to the net lately

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"I am most excited that I never have to look at Flash's stupid face ever again.

"Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 9:45 AM"

I take it you don't plan to watch the Caps' home game on December 11 (a week from this Saturday), then.

Posted by: 1995hoo | December 1, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"I am most excited that I never have to look at Flash's stupid face ever again.

"Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 9:45 AM"

Posted by: 1995hoo

Wow, I guess not.

Flash just has the kind of face that you really just want to punch. So glad he is gone.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1

If Poti is healthy, I don't. He is signed to under $3M/yr. That is a relatively inexpensive price for a solid veteran. A lot will depend on what happens the rest of this season and the post-season, but I think Hannon will to around the same price. There would be no reason why the Caps couldn't afford both(Erskine would probably have to go and be replaced by an inexpensive D-man(i.e. $600k-$800k).

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I'm not saying I would like the trade either. I just think the richards deal is going to be just a little less than what the devils gave up for kovalchuk.
So i tried to figure:

Oduya = Alzner
bermistrov (i think..some russian prospect the devils had) = johannson
devils a 1st and 2nd i think, which is too much for richards so we give them a 3rd or 4th

Posted by: _stevo | December 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@SovietSnipes

50 goals scorer TJ Oshie?

Posted by: _stevo | December 1, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Devils Traded:

Oduya
Bergfors
P. Cormier
1st Rounder

Ours would look like:
Alzner
MarJo
Eakin
1st

Too much.

And the Poti signing is still terrible. No reason to extend him before the season ever started.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Dude, I cannot believe that you STILL want to get rid of Mr. Changa.

I think the guy has been a valuable contributor. He may not really "use his size" as much as some would like. But he sure does use that speed!

He forces players to make some quick decisions when he starts skating.

I like him.

BTW, WELCOME BACK BUDDY!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Guys be nice to Flash. GOOD guy but was out of place at Center. He does have an upside long term. Problem is everyone on here expects way too much from every player. Not everyone can be Backtrom, OVI or Semin.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I agree: WAY too much. It's like when the Ducks wanted Carlsson, Alzner AND Varly for Pronger. Screw them (the Ducks), I wouldn't give them ONE of those guys for Pronger, let alone all 3...

Posted by: CAP-lanta | December 1, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Yes we should trade all of our young players. Give me a break. Good thing some of the folks on this board are not the GM. MJ is only 19. Looks pretty good already. get rid of Green who is 25. Maybe when can trade these guys for Federov in the KHL or maybe get Nylander back and then see if we can get rid of every player under 25. Great ideas folks. Stop the Green bashing. You all are insane to talk of trading Green. he is getting better in aevery facet of his game. Stop the hate on Mike Green. He is a franchise Dman. Same folks were bashing Larry Murphy and Gonchar. Do not understand hockey apparently.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I think I started to dislike Flash because he was so streaky.

Then I noticed how soft he was, how easy it was to take the puck from him, how allergic he was to the boards.

Then they forced him down our throats with the failed 2C experiment.

He clearly belongs on some teams top 2 lines, if you need a scoring winger, which we dont.

Thats it, and thats all. Bye Bye Flash. I don't dislike you anymore pal.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAP-lanta
-------------

Ha, great point CAP - I completely agree, Pronger's obviously good but he looked beatable in the Olympics against really good forwards, and was clearly beatable against CHI against guys like Hossa, Kane, etc. And that contract is not good.

@pkme - I agree, Flash wasn't Ovie, Semin or Backs but very, very few are. The guy tried his best, and I wish him well - and if he really does end up playing with Stastny and Duke, he will put up #'s.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

AND FEHR NEEDS TO W(WAKE)TF UP!!!!

...and when he does he can wake up KNUBLE!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr
I agree, I like what ChimChim has brought this year. You also left out that he has makes some nice passes. Now if he could just control the nice passes he receives and finish them...then maybe the hate on him would subside. Damn those stone hands.

@pkme
Not all of us Flush bashers hated him as a person...just as a center (and mgmt cramming it down our throats that he could). I agree he will do well somewhere else where he can play wing, and of course not worry about getting back on defense =) lol. It will also be interesting to see how much scoring he ends up doing away from the Caps offensive powerhouse.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

IMO - The Caps definitely got the better of this deal. But it makes me wonder how hurt Green really is. Think about it - We have been very solid back there this year and when Poti is in the line up we are that much better. Erskine has been real solid and the kids were sent out last week to shutdown Stamkos. (-1, 3 shots, no pts)
Richards doesn't excite me at all. I think we will see a rise in goal production from each of the lines especially if they recall Gordon or Perrault. Right now we have too many guys doing the little things right and not the big things. Chimer, Brads, Brooksie, Knuble and Ovie need to start contributing more consistantly with goals. The defense will be just fine - Hopefully we can send down or lose Sloan, he has been a train wreck - literally. (See the last game he played where he knockd over his own goalie) We will see - people in Colorado seem to be pretty upset that Hannan is gone. Lets Go Caps!!! Beat Halak like a rented mule!!!

Posted by: psugolf | December 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

GMGM nor Leonsis will ever mark my words trade Mike Green. Okay maybe they would trade him for Crosby, Towes, Mike Richards, or some phenom. Green is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. The Caps are a better team with in the lineup. It infuriates me that people just bash him because they do not know hockey. Same folks who bash Green bash Semin. Same folks who used to bash larry Murphy, Gonchar and Kevin Hatcher bash Green.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@pkme

i don't think anyone on here has said we should trade green

Posted by: _stevo | December 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@TomInSoCal, I wish Poti had been a one year, too. But Poti can be traded, if he ever recovers from his groin injury and the Caps can extend Hannan, if the price is right. I doubt it will happen as Poti has been a good mentor and plays well at what he does (puck-moving defender who is sound positionally and has a quick stick, and some offensive skills). Match Poti with Hannan or Green and you have a good fit, imho.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 1, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't get the Poti hate coming from some - the guy was arguably our best playoff performer last spring, isn't that what we care about?!?

And I say arguably because, other than Carlson, Varly, and Backs and Ovie, who really played well for us last playoffs?

Schultz, Knuble, Laich - I mean, it's a long list.

Let's at least try for some objectivity, geez.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI said - "You also left out that he has makes some nice passes."

WTF said - "And he has been making some nice dishes from the boards to, winning some battles."

dish = pass
dishes = passes

Please excuse my crude slang.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone ever noticed how much harder games are when Green is out! When Ovie, Backs, or Semin miss a game it is not good, but we have enough people to cover for them. When Green in gone the PP falls apart, our forwards don't get as many scoring chances, and we don't have anyone to keep the puck in play. Carlson has potential, but there is only one Mike Green.

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah WTF, wake up Fehr and Knuble already. Chop, chop my man. And while you are at it, cure Green's shoulder and Poti's groin. Enough with the lolly-gagging, son.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 1, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

People are a little edgy this morning!

So have they said whether Hannan will play in Dallas?

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr

My apologies, I was reading with my mental filter on and totally missed that line. Sometimes my reading comprehension uses the part of the brain that hears what I want to hear. ;)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Match Poti with Hannan or Green and you have a good fit, imho.
-------------

I agree - Poti also plays very well with Carlson [well so do a lot of guys!]. But it opens up a lot of possibilities, I just hope BB at least tries Hannan [or Poti] with Green to see if that's a good fit.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

sgm: My thought was this. Say they extend Laich, Semin, Alzner and Varly. Now you have Green and Carlson the following year. It could be that you just can't afford Hannan due to Poti. We all saw how Poti got beat with two seconds left the other night. Suppose Hannan doesn't let that happen. Which player would you rather keep?

It's a given I think Green, Schultz, Alzner and Carlson are top 4 going forward. Carlson will make big bucks and Alzner won't be too cheap. They will want to bring Orlov along. Do you keep Poti and Hannan then or one or the other?

Unless Hannan will sign for less than Poti for next year, he's hard to squeeze in. All of our projections when we thought we'd sign Volchenkov had Poti ending after this year. The bottom line is why was he extended when he was? Would teams be lining up to go after him after the season?

No, he would have been even cheaper had we waited. Just like anyone who bought a house in the last three years - cheaper if you had waited.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

He is important no doubt. But here is why it is more noticeable than when say Ovie, Backs or Semin is out:

Ovie, Semin, or Backs out: Lines shuffle a bit but no real need to call up anyone. If we do, we got MP, Beagle, A Gordo, etc. Not bad replacements/fillers.

When Green is out: that means SLOAN is definitely playing. And I think I speak for a majority of the fanbase when I say...VOMIT.

Now with a Hannan in town, if Green is out, I dont think the impact will be as great. Why you ask? Simply put, Sloan is still noshing on dogs in the press box. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

pkme: Not much Green or Semin bashing this year. There was last year though, which is why the Doofus Brigade was created with Company G and Company S for the Green and Semin bashers.

Some of them were sent marching last year and haven't come back.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

so if you pair the D:

Green / Shultz
Poti / Hannan
Carlson / Alzner

Sloan goes down to Hershey but than you scratch Erskine? He's been playing pretty well.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Hannan should be playing tonight, no?

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOverTheIce

I agree, but still think Green has such a unique set of qualitites that even when we have a decent replacement, Green will still be very missed.

Does anyone think/hope that with the addition of hannan (if he plays well) we might see Green's minutes reduced a tad?

I mean He plays almost half the game! No wonder he gets worn out by the playoffs...If the game is close then sure play him, but if we are up by 3 goals with 5-10 minutes left can't we leave him be?

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Of any Cap I am probably the most disappointed with Fehr. I actually do think some of GMGM picks have worked out great. Others not as much but it is near impossible to be right all the time. I think Fehr may be a failure considering the players that went after him in the draft. He has some skills but he reminds me of a larger version of MP. There is not a lot there.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

BTW, it's nice to see the King of the Dark Siders has reoccupied his throne.

I don't know, maybe wtf_e_fehr has more info, but my guess is he had three beers one night and it took him this long to recover.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I disagree. I think Poti would have received on the market, basically the same contract he received from the Caps. Except it may have been longer than 2 years.

IMO, I think the most interesting contract will be Laich. He is a player we all love to have on the team, but his talents(exlcuding his leadership) do not really add up to a $4M/yr guy, IMO. I think it will be very interesting to see how much he gets and how long the contract it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him getting a 7-year deal or so, that is a little less per year than we are expecting. So he gets say, 7 years for $24M, which guarantees him $24M over his career(not bad) but doesn't effect the cap poorly.

I'm intrigued what will happen there.

Varly's contract size will greatly depend on what happens the rest of the season and in the playoffs. It could vary from $1M/yr to $3M/yr depending on his performance.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Richards for:
1st Round Pick
& Choose 2
3rd Round Pick MP/chimera/steckel/eakin

In my opinion this is a fair trade. Richards would make us the team to beat for the Cup and he is merely a rental player. This will also be dependent upon Dallas being out of playoff contention and their current ownership status. While Richards is the premier player on the trading block this season (unless you consider Semin to be available as well), I'd say he is a step down from Kovy. Kovy's reputation has taken a serious hit in the past year. Remember he was considered a top 5 talent in the league only one year ago. Richards is a darn good player, but he's more of a top 20 talent in the league. So all things considered I would say that he will draw less than kovalchuk come the trade deadline. The caps may have to shed a little salary in which case steckel or chimera would be on the block. Both of them are replaceable within our system. I'd hate to give up eakin, but I think it would be worth is since getting richards would really make us the #1 contender.

Posted by: chatton | December 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1

I agree. I think Hannan with Green would be a great pair. Then shifting Poti with Schulz.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

capscoach: I have been harping on Green's and Ovi's minutes for over a year. Let's hope, finally, they can be reduced.

If the team had a top defensive defenseman, that guy would be #1 out for D zone activity. Green IMHO should be used on PK only when necessary since those minutes are so taxing. Save him for offense.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to being at the game tonight!!
Have been living in STL for last ten years, but still bleed, and rock the RED!!
GO CAPS, and Shell the heck out of Halak!!

Posted by: hunter321 | December 1, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

My prediction, we will acquire doug weight at the deadline.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

DO NOT TRADE EAKIN !

The man has the playoff guts most of team is lacking.

Green could be a mini Bobby Orr with a "real NHL level mentor and coach".Green never recovered "psych-wise" from getting knocked out against the Rangers in the playoffs. Green also does not take care of himself. The "club scene" has to go Mike, if you want to win a cUp and get into the "Hall". Just saying !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

They made it sound like we wont see Hannan until Dallas at the earliest.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

steveo

Have this mixed up with another board. Sorry for the rant.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

GMGM was on elliott in the morning and said hannan won't play tonight, but will watch the game with the games video consultant

Posted by: _stevo | December 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

They made it sound like we wont see Hannan until Dallas at the earliest.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

Thanks. Don't understand this though. You get a new toy, you play with it.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@pkme

no worries

Posted by: _stevo | December 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@underpants2

I agree, especially since we are playing 2 western conference teams that Hannan is familiar with facing. But sitting him for one game isn't a big deal either.

Posted by: ThePat | December 1, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

BTW,

Anyone see The Hockey News and Canadian Press release about the trade. They said the Caps are in the bottom half of the NHL in goals against. The Caps are in the top half. Anything to bash The Caps. Number 14 actually. Facts can be a inconvenient thing for those who despise The Caps. I went on a tirade of course. And The Caps defense actually looks pretty good this year.

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Blues called up Della Rovere so I assume he will be playing tonight.

Posted by: ThePat | December 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

thanks for getting back, hope your night ended well :) I get what you mean about Fehr, I too agree he's not suited for a 3-4th line role....I would've been greatly surprised to see you advocate for more 2nd line minutes based on his play this year, but it all makes sense now. I like the Hannan trade, I just don't like it at the expense of Johnny E. playing time (glad to see cstanton1 back and calling for either shultz/alzner to be traded!!)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

fehr will be traded next

Posted by: pkme | December 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Ooooh that might spark some convos via someone with Goat's Blood smelling breath.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Let McPhee do his job and we will be fine. MJ is going to be a great player and you do not trade a commodity like that. I have seen a lot of comments that lack hockey sense.

Alzner, MJ, Carlson etc are all keepers. We are leading the league and will just get better and stay competative for many years. Why would you not wnat that? You do not trade young talent that has not blossomed yet.

Posted by: ballgame21 | December 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@pkme

hope you're right on Fehr, and I'd add Shultz or Alzner to sweeten any deal

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

And why in the hell would the Flyers give up Richards,. They are not ever a trade partner with the Caps.

Fehr plays better or he is gone.

Posted by: ballgame21 | December 1, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@ballgame21

Richards in a Stars jersey, not
Richards in a Philthy jersey

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@ballgame - brad richards dude, not mike.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Let McPhee do his job and we will be fine
-------------

One playoff win in however many years - well, sorry if some of us are starting to get a little impatient.

Oh yeah - while I don't think Brad Richards is the player he once was [and that conn smythe could have easily gone to MSL, Kuba/ina, Vinny, or Fedetenko - and should absolutely have gone to Khabibulin, and the guy's rarely been a plus player] - I don't necessarily agree all of those guys [MJ, Alzner, Fehr, Schultz, Eakin] are untouchable. Carlson, yes, Varly, yes - but I don't know that I agree about all of those others.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Having Hannan sit with the video consultant is a good move. Why? First of all Erskine is doing fine. Second of all, this will let Hannan sit back and watch the Caps system with one of the guys that compiles footage for the coaches to use as training points.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 1, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse