Who ya got?: Capitals' open roster spots

Morning Roundup

As the Capitals prepare to head into their second preseason game Saturday against Nashville (which will be broadcast on AM 1500, I'm told) the fight for likely two open forward spots continues at a breakneck pace.

With 12 players under one-way contracts (not counting Michael Nylander) and the Capitals intending on using seven defensemen, it leaves room for two more skaters. One for the third-line center spot and another for something of a utility type player, assuming the team chooses to carry the league-maximum of 23 players. So now that everyone's fairly familiar with these players who do you have penciled in to these spots?

For centers there's elusive, speedy Mathieu Perreault, smooth skating Marcus Johansson, veteran AHLer Keith Aucoin and 19-year-old Cody Eakin. Certainly, team-quickness won't take a hit with any of these options.

Then for the other there's Coach Bruce Boudreau favorite and jack-of-all-trades Matt Hendricks, the seemingly NHL-ready Andrew Gordon or physical Jay Beagle.

FROM THE POST
Colleague Tracee Hamilton takes a look at how winning (in the playoffs) really is the only medicine for the Capitals this season as they try to exorcise the demons of disappointments past.

If somehow you managed to miss the news that the Capitals and Penguins will be featured on HBO's 24/7 we've got you covered. Check out the players' take, along with GM George McPhee's and Dan Steinberg answers all your burning questions.

AROUND THE WEB
Our deepest sympathies to the Kettler Capitals Iceplex family and the family of hockey director Brian St. Louis, who died yesterday at the rink.

Goaltending coach Arturs Irbe will be inducted to the San Jose Sports Hall of Fame. (via @JapersRink)

Former Hershey Bear Alexandre Giroux, now trying to earn a spot in Edmonton, got in a fight last night during a preseason game against Vancouver. Yes, really. (via @brettleonhardt)

Another former player in the organization, Chris Bourque talks about the decision to play in the KHL and how he "got sick of constantly waiting for my chance and then being used to plug holes in the roster" in Washington. (Translation of a SportsDaily.ru report via Russian Hockey Fans)

Peerless handicaps the upcoming season for Boyd Gordon.

By Katie Carrera  | September 24, 2010; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Carlson's preseason debut impresses Boudreau
Next: Friday practice update

Comments

I don't want to extrapolate too much from the Bourque comments, but the insinuation here seems to be that he thinks he was treated unfairly. If he feels that way: dude, wake up! Are you a KHL castaway instead of an NHL regular because of the Caps? Not by a mile. The team even dealt you to a Cup contender without much forward depth, where you'd have every opportunity to flourish or prove your worth to other NHL teams. You proved your worth. You're in the KHL. Shut up.

Posted by: struggler | September 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Actually, wasn't he picked up off waivers by a cup contender without much forward depth? Then we reclaimed him when they did the same?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Talent aside, I do think Chris Bourque got jerked around a bit by management. GMGM promising him a spot on the opening night roster for last season and then putting him on waivers comes to mind.

Posted by: cainoo7x | September 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@struggler

By "dealt you to", you meant "sent you to Hershey with the hopes that you'd clear waivers but were claimed by"?

I do, however, agree with your point.

Posted by: dc_homer | September 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I heard he was angry at the Caps because his nickname in the locker room was Half & Half.

Half the genes, half the talent.

Which apparently has now been transfered to another prospect. (zing)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 24, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@All: yeah, I know it was a waiver acquisition. Too eager to get to the substance of the post to proofread for errors. These boards are merciless! Haha, that's good.

Posted by: struggler | September 24, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

the way GMGM jerks some of these players around, it's hard to believe that he was once a NHL player... as long as he's around, NO free agents of any significance will ever come here so he had better start drafting well past the first rounds.

Posted by: joek443 | September 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd expect these roster spots to change a lot as the season progresses. It will also be interesting to see how our goalie situation pans out.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | September 24, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The absence of a certain poster has left it very quiet and dull in here today. Can't remember the last time there have been so few posts on an article posted an hour and a half ago, especially during lunch hour.

And by the way, shut the f' up Chris Bourque! As you all know I am no GMGM fan but that guy was given every opportunity to make this team and did not have the talent. He got so many shots only because of has daddy so enjoy Russia there Chrissy.

Posted by: PhilR | September 24, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Joe

apply for the job...

Posted by: jeets | September 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

joek443,

I think there are plenty of FA's who are more than willing to come here but GMGM is trigger shy as I have said in the past. Every once in a while you have got to pull that trigger, something I just do not see enough of from him in free aganecy and via trades.

Posted by: PhilR | September 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"GMGM is trigger shy" ... "Every once in a while you have got to pull that trigger"

some guys are shy when it comes to pulling the trigger - especially when you are shooting blanks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 24, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I do agree that GMGM seems to be trigger shy.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 24, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

but then again this team ain't no where near as bad as the Wiz just yet... just heard this morning that on the same day that David Stern put a gag order on Gil and the Wiz about guns, it was reported on TMZ that Gil and his lawyers are suing some gun dealer in California.

The gun dealer is alleging that Gil ordered 7 handguns plus silencers several months ago and have yet to pick them up and they want Gil to pay 70 grand for the storage. Instead of just paying the dealer and let the matter drop, Gil is suing the dealer because since it's ILLEGAL to sell or purchase silencers in California, he doesn't have to pay for the storage... Could it get any more amusing??

Posted by: joek443 | September 24, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

GMGM basically needs to do nothing right now, we have all the part to more-than-contend for the Stanley Cup...it's time to see if this talent pipeline from hersehy can deliver some NHL-calibre talent and then, if necessary, make some trade moves down-the-line to shore up our defense and center position...

a VERY interesting trade would be if phoenix doesnt compete this year and we can get Belanger from them for a 1 million less than we initially reported to offer him...and if he would come here...

Posted by: cotelloer | September 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Matty P seemed to be dominant in the duchesne cup but the first preseason game absent from the scoresheet, especially for the amount of his name i heard from the radio feed.

Posted by: breaklance | September 24, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Chris Bourque was a terrible hockey player. If his father was ANYONE else in america, he wouldn't have even made Hershey's team.

Needless to say, I am very happy for him that he is playing in the KHL and making a living out of playing hockey.

Wish he would take fleishman with him.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 24, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Chris Bourque likely got a second look because of his father, but he was not a terrible player. A terrible player that shouldn't have made the Bears team would not have played as many NHL games as he did. He did not have what it took to stick in the NHL, but he was capable at the AHL level.

Posted by: _Mark | September 24, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

point well taken, mark..

He was ok at the AHL level...lived off Giroux and Aucoin...who are AHL All Stars and better than Bourque.

So is Gordon, Beagle, and Hendricks...and I don't think ANY of the guys I mentioned should even come close to making the NHL roster..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 24, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | September 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

chris had the unfortunate luck to be drafted by a team which was not exactly lacking in left wing depth. i dare say he probably got a longer look than most players of his skill given his last name. he has exactly 1 more NHL goal than me after playing on two of the better offensive teams in the league.

its sucks that he got waived right before the first game in boston last year. but it could have turned out for the best had he produced in pittsburgh, a team desperate for wings. but it didnt and GM was being very kind in bringing him back to a familiar place where he got to win a calder cup. if the caps got him on waivers, that shows how many teams really wanted him.

so the treatment of him has no bearing on where top FA's will go. they will go where the money is and where they have a chance to win. period, end of story.

right or wrong, GMGM does not want to spend big $ or commit long term deals to expensive FA's. thats why we havent signed any, not because he was mean to lil' chris bourque.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 24, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

George has to do whatever he needs to do to win a cup.

Besides, how do you know he wasn't told by the caps what his role is/was.

Players sometimes only want to hear what they want and not the truth!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 24, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised MP is leading the votes by so much for "Which forwards make the opening night roster?"

Posted by: sgm3 | September 24, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

FYI for anyone interested I have 5 open slots for a Rotisserie Keeper league.. send me an email to ixwidix@gmail.com if you are interested!!

Posted by: ChiCaps | September 24, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoaringCaps
----
@SoaringCaps

have you ever seen Chris Bouque skate in an AHL game? or run the Power play for the Bears?

I was 8 rows up for the Bears lone win against Hamilton in the CC Finals several years ago.

Bourque would skate from behind his goal, gain the red line, dump it in and beat the defender to the goal line... the goal line... ie; he was far quicker than Carey Price to the puck AND the entire defense.

to say that he lived off of Aucoin and Giroux is ignorant and shows you really don't know him as a player.

is he on the smaller side? very much so...

but you don't get to play 325 games in the AHL AND score 105 goals, dish out 197 assists for 302 Points with a +51, 33 PPG's and 6 SHG by "living off of Aucoin and Giroux"!

Care to try again?

Some team will give him another shot in the NHL after his two years are up. Maybe it's the Caps, maybe someone else... but he is a good little player, and an excellent one in the AHL! Know your stuff dude!

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Katie how about having some one update the schedule link to this years schedule?

Posted by: Redwolf1 | September 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

actually all you cowards hiding behind your keyboards to bash a kid who has probably accomplished more in his "failed NHL career" then you can ever hope to achieve. the interview was in russian and translated by a russian to english. and Bouruqe actually said "I got sick of constantly squandering my chance and then being used to plug holes in the roster" ....not "waiting for my chance" which implies Bourque understood he had the chances and didn't show what he was capable of. besides if any of you honestly feel a guy of his size would ever be a full timer on the Caps then you obviously haven't been watching them much. many people think Perreault has the best chance for the center spot, or any fwd spot. he was up for a ton of games last season and bloosomed in the first of many but after that dwindled and instead of staying with him, knowing he had the taletn and the potential they sent him down and acquired 3 guys at the deadline. guys like bourque, perreault, small guys with the heart but not much physical grit can never be a full time player on this washington capitals organization.

also to say Bourque flourished in the AHL only because of giroux and aucoin is so beyond wrong it's comical. they all complimented each other. when Bourque had his stint with the Pens Aucoin and Giroux weren't putting up huge numbers, Bourque comes back and he along with his linemates are putting up rediculous numbers, coincidence?

Bourque was a class act, and deserves so much more respect then coward "fans" like yourselves are giving him. I wish him all the luck with his hockey endeavors and only hope he someday finds his way back to NHL.

A translated Russian-language interview with Chris Bourque, who left for the KHL this summer: "I got sick of constantly waiting for my chance and then being used to plug holes in the roster." Weird, he spelled "squandering" as "waiting for."

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps is a captain, company commander, in the Doofus Brigade.

With comments like he made above, you can see how he earned his bars.

sgm: I agree with you, re: MP, just remember that most voters probably don't know as much about the others. I agree that MP having options could be a deciding factor (despite what they always say, "We will keep the best players.")

Does anyone know how it works with Hendricks? How long is the tryout contract? When it ends, can any team swoop in and sign him or do the Caps have first dibs? And, one final thought, where did the term "dibs" come from?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't be hatin' on the cowards...

E-THUG 4 LIFE

P.S. By calling out the so called "cowards" hiding behind their keyboards, while you yourself are doing that in the safety of such a keyboard, are you not now just as much a "coward"? I believe they call that Kettle Pot Syndrome.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 24, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

For my part, I qualified my statement with three key words/phrases: "don't want to extrapolate," "insinuation," and "if he feels that way." I think most people were just picking up on my thread. If CB recognizes that he squandered his opportunities, then good on him. I never had any issue with his character until I saw that news feed.

Posted by: struggler | September 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

i'm not hiding from anyone, I post on here all the time, and you can find me on facebook, and i'll say the same thing to anyone who has a problem in person at the next Caps games, practice or anywhere else.

my name is Margaret McGuire and I find it hilarious people commenting on a situation they obviously know nothing about, at least make your comments smart, but saying Bourque lived off anyone on his team...is rediculous.

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 24, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm not hiding from anyone. I post on here all the time, and you can find me on facebook and see I am certainly not a casual fan.

My name is Margaret McGuire and I will say whatever, to anyone's face directly at the next Caps game, practice, bears game or anywhere else.

for people to make statements about a player they obviously from their ignorant comments, have never actually watched played...is as infuriating as it comical.

Bourque is a standup guy and deserves the respect, period.

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 24, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. capsfan387 that was spooky. Almost like de ja vue!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Bourque is a perfect example of GMGM not being able to pull the trigger. A couple yrs ago I bet he couldve gotten something for Bourque, but as usual he held onto him too long and now will end up with nada. I fear that too many of the current wave of prospects will end up in a similar situation.

As for the poll, what's with the spelling of Matty P's name?? Geez

Posted by: chombie13 | September 24, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | September 24, 2010 12:48 PM |
=========================================
You mean Mike Knuble wasn't a free agent of any significance? I know, that was all the way back in 2009 /eye roll. That's just a ridiculous, whiny comment.
Capitals won't have any trouble signing free agents if that's what they choose to do.
Despite the belief of some here, McPhee is actually pretty well respected around the NHL, and there's a lot of teams that would like to be in Washington's place. Look at Tampa. They have Stamkos, a 1st overall pick rapidly emerging as a superstar, and players from their Cup team like LeCavallier and St. Louis. Yet they can't sniff the playoffs, they have nothing but turnover in the front office and ownership, and fire coaches with alarming regularity. For those suggesting selecting Ovechkin made the team automatically into a winner, that's simply not true.
McPhee keeps his powder dry. He's not making moves for the sake of making them...like fans want him to do. He's not playing NHL 2010 on Xbox 360. You think he's responsible to you...the (nutty) fan base...but he's not. He works for the team owner, and as long as that owner is happy, he's going to stick around.
I've heard in some corners the Caps have the least knowledgeable fan base in the entire NHL. Comments like joek443's solidify that reputation. Well, actually a lot of comments on this WP board help solidify that reputation. This team has some holes, but every team has some holes. The nutty fan base acts like he can trade Steckel for Joe Thornton.

Posted by: pga6 | September 24, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

hey pga6, the last I checked Tampa has won a Cup in this century and so has Carolina.

They've been in the easiest division in hockey for a DOZEN years. I don't know how long you've been following this team but it's been 25 friggin' years for me and you know what? I don't wanna hear the "we're gonna be good for a long time" B$.

just win the friggin' Cup or $TFU!!!

Posted by: joek443 | September 24, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

pga6: That was a really snotty post you just put. To be honest, I've been here like three years, I read all the posts, I get a feel for all the people and, really, if someone put a gun to my head, and I had to pick one person with whom to have a beer, you or joek443, I'd actually pick joek443.

Who in God's name here suggested something as absurd as Steckel for Thornton? Geez.

I hate to mix sports and politics, but you come across as a Rush Limbaugh spin doctor type.

How bout quoting sources for such an asinine comment as "least knowledgeable fan base?"

Look, one thing I've learned in my years, and that's I can sniff out someone with an agenda. What's yours? Don't tell me! I know you! I've written about you in my "At The McPhees" vignette!

You're Junior McPhee! And you're sticking up for Daddy even though he took you to arbitration over your allowance increase request because you wouldn't "do the dirty work" like take out the trash!

And, remember, next time you knock Tampa, they have a Cup! A recent one, too! So give some respect, like any decent hockey fan would do.

pga6, huh? A golfer? We all know what hockey fans think of golfers.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 25, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

You know, I am really pi$$ed like a fuffamuvva at this pga6 person. Just who in God's name does he think he is? First he comes here w/o ever posting or hardly ever and disses: Caps fans in general; pretty much all posters on this site; and my bud joek443 specifically.

Look, you all know that joek443 and I have had our moments. Not like Oscar and Felix (sgm and cstanton) moments, but maybe like Archie and Meathead moments. But I can always count on joek443, like a brother almost (I have a brother honestly and only talk to him maybe five minutes a year; my sister I give ten minutes) to get me pi$$ed like when we were kids and I'd want to slug him upside the head. But, after all this time, let's face it, he's OUR joek443 and we've almost (but not quite) come to love him. I mean, he does put some reasonable stats, he just has kind of a warped way of looking at them kind of like your Uncle Earl when you were little would pinch your mom in the butt.

But this pga6, WTF? He comes here and criticizes me, you, joek and everyone else, basically only defending GMGM due to some mandate that Ted gave him from Mt Olympus.

This was a nice, peaceful blog, with normal in-fighting, just like my family growing up, Uncle Earl, Aunt Dot, Mom & Dad, the cousins from Alabamie, and then pga6 acts he knows better than everyone!

Well, pga6, all I have to say is this: When cstanton1 gets back from his fishing trip, he's going to rip you one so wide that Micheal Nylander could skate circles in it! And then he'll stuff you filled with wimpy salmon!

Have a nice night pga6 and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

"Good-night, sgm3."
"Good-night, tom-boy."
"Good-night, cstanton1."
"Good-night, tom-boy."
"Hey, cstanton1?"
"What, sgm3?"
"You smell like fish!"
"That's your mother!"
"Watch it, cstanton1, that's OUR mother."
"Sorry, tom-boy."
"Good-night, joek443."
"Harumpf."
"Hey, joek443?"
"Harumpf."
"Tomorrow we're all going down the hill to beat up pga6."
"Har-....goodie!"
"Good-night, joek443."
"Good-night."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 25, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

tominsocal--wow. You find this blog peaceful. You have just gotten use to the angry voices so when a new angry voice comes in it annoys you. I have to admit I'm not use to your more recent angry voice, but knowing you are a dad I know you have one--all parents do.

Hey, let the guy (presumably male) vent. I find this place is where a lot of frustrated Caps fans vent. And he is right in that Knuble was a FA signing of significance.

Remember this isn't the tominsocal, cstanton, sgm3, joe443 (plus buddies such as hunterforcoach and PhilR) blog. Even annoying Caps fans such as myself feel compelled to vent sometimes.

When I come over here it does feel like I've entered an ongoing navel gazing argument about heart/grit vs weak Eurotrash finesse between the four of you. And none of you would give McPhee a cup of coffee much less anything else.

But the John Boy bit is a nice touch.

We Caps fans make quite a cast of characters. How we all get characterized--well I will leave that up to you. You are the storyteller.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 25, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

And you do make a fabulous cocktail. And have set the trend for which jersey to wear for a game--white or red.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 25, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse