Posted at 7:02 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Capitals' penalty kill must stay sharp

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

After the Thrashers defeated the Capitals, 3-1, on Saturday night, Atlanta Coach Craig Ramsay said that the third goal was the result of a set play his team had drawn up to try to counteract the Capitals' penalty kill. Heading into the contest, Washington had killed 11 of 13 penalties against the Thrashers.

On this particular occasion, before the Capitals could even look to pressure an Atlanta player, a pass was sent to Andrew Ladd, who backpedaled to down along the goal line on the right side of the net unnoticed until the puck was on his stick.

The Capitals have gone 21-for-24 on the penalty kill in the past six games, but Atlanta's familiarity with the defense brings a new strategy that the unit must be prepared for as well, in the form of set plays off faceoff wins that neutralize Washington's ability to challenge.

"Any time we sit back and make plays, we get in trouble," Mike Green said. "That was the case [Saturday] night; we gave them an extra second and they made a play, so we've got to put pressure on and stay with it... All they need is a second. We gave it to them."

Here's the video of that goal:

FROM THE POST
Colleague Gene Wang examines the Capitals' recent lack of goal scoring despite plenty of offensive chances.

AROUND THE WEB
Capitals prospects Evgeny Kuznetsov, Stanislav Galiev and Dmitry Orlov have been named to Russia's World Junior Championship camp roster for the 2011 tournament in Buffalo. (NHL.com)

The Canadian media markets don't have anything on the microscope that HBO's "24/7" puts the Capitals and Penguins under for the next month. (Toronto Star)

The NHL's board of governors meetings begin Monday in Palm Beach, Fla., and their talks are expected to include the potential upward movement of next year's salary cap number. (TSN)

By Katie Carrera  | December 6, 2010; 7:02 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup, Penalty kill
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Here's what the Winter Classic at Heinz Field will look like
Next: Capitals recall Mathieu Perreault

Comments

Caps need to crush Toronto tonight in order to keep the crazies under control. Go CAPS!

Posted by: nimrodrsp | December 6, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

From a previous thread:

..."They paying him 10mil per to be a 1-dimensional PASSER now? "

Posted by: BigGameSid

No, they're paying him 10mil per to crush Sidney Crosby into the boards with a legal body check. :) Money well spent IMHO. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 6, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

saw on "NHL on the Fly" that Erskine's in the lineup tonight (I guess that means Poti won't be playing, but I'd love to see BB show he's the coach beholden no nobody and finally sit ****). It was nice seeing/hearing them talk about his return to the lineup as if he was an important part of the team and was missed against Atlanta. Those in the know certainly don't regard him as a fringe 6/7 dman capable only if/when injuries deplete the team.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 6, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I can't play the attached video....anyone?

Posted by: jeets | December 6, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Do you remember who the pass to Ladd had to beat? I do, it was good ol 55 -- Jeff "Reliable" Schultz. Not to say that it was entirely his fault, but I would not want to put him in with hopes that he could clear the crease or watch for back door passes, which is clearly what happened. That deflating goal was game right there.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 6, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

From a previous thread:

..."They paying him 10mil per to be a 1-dimensional PASSER now? "

Posted by: BigGameSid

They're paying him 10 mil a year so they can sweep the Pens, like they did last year. Dust off that broom boys...

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 6, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if they pay ovechkin 25 mill to sit on the bench the entire game...

AS LONG AS WE WIN THE CUP!

Stop harping on Ovie's points, goals, ect.

Start noticing the Caps win totals and point totals....

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 6, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@ LloydChristmas: That did us a lot of good didn't it. But you go ahead and be happy of the regular season success. I know my friends that are Penguin fans care. But you do, so go ahead and continue to bring up hack stats. Thats what this fan base is all about anyway... stats.

Posted by: penscapsNOTarivalry | December 6, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@penscapsNOTarivalry

While I agree with your moniker, I'm not the one on Pens websites hooting and hollering about the rivalry. But you're right, we couldn't get past Montreal last year and the regular season was meaningless. There was also another team that shared a similar fate against Montreal. Who was it again.... hmm, I just can't remember. Oh yeah, thats right ... do I even need to mention who it was? I'm sure you remember now too. :P

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 6, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@ Lloyd: My name is just for the "new", aka: annoying Caps fans. This is not a rivalry. I am a Caps fan, but admire the Pens organization and appreciate Crosby (rookie season whining aside... can we all get over that now). I was with some friends at the Pens/Flyers game a few weeks ago. 3 fights in the first 6 minutes. THAT is a rival. Just because you don't like Crosby does not make a rivalry. Plus we can't beat them in the playoffs, a rivalry needs to be two-sided.
Back to the Caps, I really think we will be bette balanced this post season. I like to see OV passing rather that just flinging pucks at the net. I don't care about his points, it's Cups, not points.

Posted by: penscapsNOTarivalry | December 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"I can't play the attached video....anyone?"
Posted by: jeets | December 6, 2010 8:39 AM

I can't play it either. But, come to think of it, why would I want to experience that moment again anyway?

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

IMHO, being a Caps fan means understanding the difference between a rival and an ENEMY

A rival is someone you want very much to defeat, but there is also respect.

An enemy is someone you want to crush, disgrace, and annihilate, because you hate 'em, Hate 'Em, HATE 'EM.

There is only one Enemy, and that Enemy is Pittsburgh.

www.die_pens_die.com