Capitals consider more traffic in front of opposing nets

Morning Roundup

The Capitals became the latest witness to the Tim Thomas renaissance Tuesday night, as the 36-year-old goaltender stopped 35 of 36 shots, including all 18 Washington tried in the third period. He's only allowed two goals on 97 shots over three games this season (.979 save percentage, 0.67 GAA) and considering how well he fared Tuesday, the Capitals could see him again Thursday night at TD Garden.

Although they credited Thomas's play, the Capitals also wondered after the 3-1 loss how much of a difference more traffic in front of the Bruins' net might have made.

"He played well. Goalies make saves that they can see; we've just got to get more bodies in front of the net," Jason Chimera said. "I think that's the biggest key."

Said Matt Hendricks: "Tim Thomas, he played great, made some great saves....I think he did see quite a few pucks [Tuesday] and that's something we need to work on as well."

Washington might take that advice on Thursday, but after the game, Thomas said reacting to the screens and deflection shots he did face against the Capitals was one of the biggest reasons for his success. That said, it's never really a bad thing to make it tougher on a goaltender by preventing him from seeing the puck as much as possible.

"I had to battle through some screens and there were some funny little tips that you have to stay on your toes for," Thomas said. "But we did a good job of not giving them breakaways or odd-man rushes or chances alone in the slot, things like that,. My main battle was seeing through the screens and making sure tips didn't beat me and I didn't give up bad enough rebounds to get scored on."

FROM THE POST
The recap of the 3-1 loss to the Bruins and the details of Michal Neuvirth leaving the game with the flu.

A photo gallery from last night's game.

IN THE MINORS
Corey Masisak took a trip to Hershey and talked to the three Bears -- Mathieu Perreault, Andrew Gordon and Jay Beagle -- who were the final cuts in Washington this season about how they've moved on and how they're waiting for the next chance.

AROUND THE WEB
The Peerless Prognosticator reflects upon the Capitals' recent draft history on the heels of 2008 first-rounder Anton Gustafsson opting to return to Sweden.

With the Caps slated to meet the Bruins for a rematch Thursday night, here's the Boston Globe's recap, with plenty of info on Milan Lucic's Gordie Howe hat trick and if his fight with John Erskine was a long-awaited rematch after the latter got the better of the former in a fracas during the 2007-08 season.

By Katie Carrera  | October 20, 2010; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruins 3, Caps 1: Michal Neuvirth leaves game with the flu
Next: Mike Green says he won't play Thursday

Comments

@capscoach

I agree, and I think pretty much everyone on this board agrees that Sloan is, by far, the worst defenseman the Caps have. It hasn't been even close. Erskine worries me but I would much rather have him on the ice than Sloan.

I also agree that Backstrom has been MIA. He has looked pretty bad all season so far. It's only 6 games so hopefully it's just an aberration.

Another guy who has been pretty bad offensively has been Knuble. His play on the PK last night was great, but offensively he has provided nothing. He normally is not very good on the rush but makes up for it by having great net presence and knocking home rebounds and passes in close. Now it seems as if he is missing all the rebound chances and can't connect on passes to him when he is 5 feet out.

Here is an idea. Just an idea, I'm not saying the Caps should do this, but just think about it. How about moving Fehr up to the first line and moving Knuble down to the 3rd line? The third line would be much more of a forechecking line and probably better defensively, while Fehr would add some more shooting skill to the first line while not taking away any toughness.

If this happened, for it to work, Fehr would have to make sure he had a consistent net presence. But Fehr would provide a much better option on the rushes with Ovie and Backstrom.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Caps are the NHL's answer to the Yanks well paid but getting beat Flash = AJ Burnett, ov = aROD,Semin= Joba Chamberlain

Posted by: wendel2 | October 20, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I felt like I was watching the playoffs all over again last night.

Same team from last year and it's going to be the same results unless they change thier philosophy.

The good teams are going to have thier number and they need to be able to adjust.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 20, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

in the wake of AnGus going back to Sweden and the caps suspending his contract, this is a good read:

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I do believe that AnGus will turn into "We coulda' had x player" #2... particularly, we coulda' had Jordan Eberle!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 20, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

gee another blown pick on a euro....strange but so predictable

Posted by: wendel2 | October 20, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@wendel2

Along the same lines as Sasha Pokulok and Joe Finley. Oh wait, they weren't european, so there's no way they could've been a bad pick then.

Gus was a pick that turned out bad. It happens, no team ever gets 100% of their first round picks. Look at every team's last 10 first round picks (start with 2006 and go back so the prospects had time to develop). Each team has very bad first round picks. It happens when you draft 18 year olds.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

It is very disturbing hearing so many zenophobic comments! Even if some are in jest, they still are worrisome.

Lat nights game was one of our better efforts. With some added net presence and a little help for OV on the top line, the Caps will beat them Thursday. Ovie os kinda playing without a center and consistent winger right now.

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@sgm, I agree that Knuble has been ineffective for seemingly large stretches of play this season. People are hammering Backy, but Knuble's so slow - especially by 1st-line NHL forward standards - it puts a lot of pressure on his linemates.

But while I largely agree with your analysis of the problem, I disagree with the solution. I do not believe Fehr's the answer.
Skating-wise, both Knuble and Fehr struggle against good d-men; of course if your linemates are OV and Backstrom [and both are playing to their usual high standards] there's often a ton of room so even a guy like Knuble can get open. But if Knuble's not taking the body and driving the net, he can be a liability - I did not think he played very well last night.

As for Fehr, no way he should be on the top line. He is a defensive liability, especially in his own end. His guy just winds up with way too much time and space.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 20, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Knuble needs to go - he is not the same player he was a year ago. He shot the puck into Thomas's chest when all he had to is slide it along the ice into the far corner. He is slow and showing his age. Nick's stats might look alot better if Knuble wasn't his other wing. Also, Last night we got no bounces our way. Guys would fight hard for the puck in the corner and come away empty. Varly was very good in relief although he didn't challenge shooters as much as he used to. Confidence maybe? And for all you Semin haters, I saw several times last night where he took the body and didnt shy away. He might be a more complete player this year then we think. Oh by the way, GMGM has had some failures but his sucesses far out way them. I give you Backstrom, Johanson, Green, Schultz, Carlson, Alzner (who has played the most solid of all defensemen) oh and that other guy named Ovechkin just to name a few.

Posted by: psugolf | October 20, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't ditch Knuble yet..maybe move him to the 2nd line next season...he is GREAT on the PK. Yesterday was not the first time I saw him single handedly keep the puck along the boards for an extended period with 2-3 guys on him. That is huge value right there.

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The more I think about it the more I want to see Fehr and Knuble switched. Fehr is responisble enough defensively as a wing to play on the #1 scoring line. He uses his reach very well to disrupt plays at the point. In addition, the scoring threat of the Ovie and Backstrom usually helps from getting as many scoring chances.

I think Knuble, being the solid veteran who is more defensively responsible may be better suited for the 3rd line now.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope this article was pulled from the archives. Wasn't Knuble brought in last season to provide net traffic and to mentor guys like Fehr and Laich? Isn't that the only reason Knuble is on the top line?

According to the twitter, MarJo and Flash have switched positions. The laundry guys must have made a mistake again.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@ablake...what twitter

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

And Neuvy, who had to be pulled from the game due to the flu, is on the ice this morning. Flu = collar with no leash.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

Corey Masisak @cmasisak22

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I am confused...is that a practice update? I think MaJo could do better on the 2nd line anyway.

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"Flu = collar with no leash"

Typical know-nothing ranting and raving. For all you know, he had some short-term bug or ate some Verizon Center food or something, and is better this morning. Give it a rest.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | October 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

yes its a practice update. MaJo is centering the 2nd line today and Flash dropped to the 3rd line. I think that switch is fine to try out for a few games. Regardless of who is playing 2C, Laich needs to be taking faceoffs. Flash is so bad at them it seemed like he was intentionally getting thrown out of the circle last night so he wouldnt have to take them.

Posted by: ThePat | October 20, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

Sorry. Yes, it's information from practice. No B. Gordon and Brads left the ice before practice began.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Flu = collar with no leash"

Posted by: yosemite_sam

Typical kool-aid drinking, "the organization would never lie" to me rant. Like Varly had 3 weeks of maintenance days, B. Gordon is "hurting" and hasn't been seen since and my favorite "Green has a stinger" and missed the last two games.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

regarding Backs - no one here doubts his heart and ability. Perhaps there is an injury? He's not shooting the puck at all. The entire top line looks out of sync. I honestly would like to see him get an extended look centering Semin, someone who reads the play well, it might help him shake out of it. The top line the players all seem to be just getting in each other's way right now and Backs somehow is getting short-circuited.

Let's not send Knuble to the glue factory just yet.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 20, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Flash wasn't as bad on the faceoffs last night. Faceoffs is definitely something that a player only becomes better at with a lot of experience. The only problem is that good experience only comes during games. The Caps need to give Flash and MJ a lot of chances on faceoffs(also work with them in practice) for them to improve. It is true with just about every player (i.e. Crosby and Backstrom). It takes a while to improve on faceoffs.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wendel Whiner

The Yanks not only won last year with AJ, Arod and Joba...they succeeded BECAUSE of those guys. Horrible analogy...but we expect that from you. (And we're only 6 games into the season...get baack into your cage until March)

Posted by: jeets | October 20, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

question about baby Gus: by suspending his contract, does it mean the Caps now have an extra contract slot to offer to someone else? Do they relinquish his NHL rights?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

> Typical kool-aid drinking, "the organization would never lie" to me rant.

The point is that it doesn't matter, so why act all indignant about it? He obviously wasn't pulled for a bad performance, and I think we can just be glad that he's better today. Done, thanks.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | October 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I believe he is still Caps property should he decide to return. And I believe that it does free up an extra contract spot as well. Not positive about this though.

Posted by: Fro_2 | October 20, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

his percentages weren't bad I know. But he got kicked out of the circle at least 3 times. And that is evident by Brooks winning 3 draws last night and losing none. Flash will never play center again in his career once he leaves this team if his new team has a clue, so why try to make him good at it. Just let Laich take the draws is more of my point.

Posted by: ThePat | October 20, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Disagree on Fehr getting top line minutes. Yesterday's game and the game against Nashville, he was just floating, and not moving his feet. He seemed to pick it up a bit as the game wore on. And I don't think he's that good defensively. If he finds himself in the D zone, he'll point to a player going to the net but won't do anything to cover the player. He did 3 times last night that I saw.

The Caps as a whole are mesmerized by the puck in the D zone. I think thats why they end up have breakdowns, because all 5 guys are focused on the puck, and not on the man they're supposed to be covering. That's pretty much the only thing OV does in the D zone.

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 20, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@RedLitYog

The idea of putting Backs on the 2nd line technically makes sense, but I think Ovie will be better able than anybody to shake Backstrom out of it...although that top line was playing the "lets just get the puck to Ovie game" in the third last night which is never a good thing.

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yosemite_sam

First, I was making a joke. Second,
why doesn't it matter? BB has a history of yanking guys for one bad game and 2 goal on 7 shots is the definition of a bad game. Neuvy's not a vet like Theo. Pulling him like that could hurt his development. Both of these guys need to take their lumps, just like MarJo, Alzner, and Carlson.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I'm fine with having Flash do faceoffs for a while during the season. But if he doesn't improve near the end of the season then the Caps should definitely use Laich on the faceoffs at the end of the season and the playoffs.

If they wanted to use Laich as the main faceoff man for the 2nd line now, I would be fine with that also.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge Fehr fan but, he did make a heck of a defensive play running down a breakaway in the 3rd. If we are going to move Knuble, why not move him to the second line and Laich up to the 1st. Knuble can screen for Semin.
I thought the 1st line got some good chances last night. Sometimes the puck just doesn't go in.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 20, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

One last update from C. Masisak, no Green tomorrow.

@chriscaps

I don't think they could move Laich to the top line since he and Ovi play the same position. I have never seen Laich play RW, but maybe he can.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

IMO - this team hasn't hit it's stride yet (duh). There are key players who have not played to their potential or even last years ability. The good news is we're only 6 games into the season. This talk of Knuble's gotta go or this person's gotta go etc is drastic and not well thought out. To me there is no difference in who needs to go today vs. who should've been gone in the offseson (Flash). Nobody other than Flash "needs" to be moved. I understand that players play out of position all the time but I think MJ should be 2C & MP should be 3C. Move Flash as he's a true winger for a D. Other than that I don't think anybody needs to be moved 6 games into the season. Now if you can package players, prospects or picks then fine but Flash is the #1 part that needs to be moved.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | October 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

That was a good play by Fehr. But the defensive breakdown that preceded it wasn't good.

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 20, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

If Green is still not ready to play, they need to actually give us some kind of hint what is going on...is he out for another week or a month? No other league hides injuries like the NHL and it is really annoying. It serves no realy purpose! I guarantee the other teams know what is going on with Green, so it's not like saying it will give them an advantage when they come back.

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Green isnt making that trip to Boston. Separated shoulder maybe? Guess that means Sloan on the ice for another night. Excuse me while I go puke real fast.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 20, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Knuble has aged a lot since last season. He's very slow in reacting to rebounds and passes to him in the slot. The Bruins and other team challenge Ovie and Backstrom which forces them to often face double teams knowing Knuble is slow and not a good puckhandler. Without a reliable RW who can either create scoring chances on rebounds/deflections , it's going to continue to hamper the first line. Knuble looks like a guy who should be playing on the 3rd line at this point in his career.

The Caps should seriously consider moving Brooks Laich up to the first line as he has the skills to compliment Ovie and Backstrom. He's strong in front of the net, good hands, has some passing skills, and is tough in the corners. Also, he's a good skater and responsible defensively which may balance out the line. Two of the Bruins 3 goals were scored when the Caps No. 1 line was on the ice.

I'm becoming more convinced that the Caps need to replace Sloan and/or Erskine with a legit veteran defenseman. The Caps simply can't afford to have two guys who are weak links and two rookies in the Top 6 defenseman. Even with Green back in the lineup and Poti healthy, our 3rd pairing is pretty weak if either Erskine or Sloan is in the lineup. Teams have picked up on how shaky the Caps are in the own zone and the inability of their D to get the puck up ice.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 20, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach - yeah dude get used to it. Yes it would be nice to know what the actual injury is but the last people who will ever know the truth is the fans. I understand their reasoning for not wanting to state what the actual injury is and for that reason I don't complain because it's true. If you let another team know what's injured they will go after you and whatever weakness that injury could be causing. The bottom line is he isn't playing so somebody else gets a shot. Heck I thought Sloan played a pretty decent game last night.

The reason the NHL doesn't have to disclose injuries is because there isn't as much gambling on hockey as there is in football. That's the primary reason the NFL has to do it. That part won't change any time soon if ever so it is what it is.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | October 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Can someone pass me that dead horse real quick? Oh hey, thanks...Trade Flash for a 1st pairing d-man, fix 2 problems with one trade.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@wizfan

yup...thought that before the season started. Sloan is not NHL material (at least now) I don't mind Erskine playing as the #7 D man. He actually played very well yesterday. But if we have learned anything this week it is that we are scre**d when Green is out...and when Green AND Poti are out...well it just isn't pretty.

Posted by: capscoach | October 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I still think they need to build a solid defensive third line so consider these line combos and try not to trash me too badly!!

Ovie/Backs/Fehr
Semin/MaJo/Flush (until they can deal him)
Chimmer/Laich/Knuble
Hendricks/Stecks of BGordo/Brads or King

I would actually rather see Hendricks move up and Take Chimmer's spot on the 3rd line but he is waaaaaay overpaid for a 4th liner.

Posted by: PhilR | October 20, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Those lines are interesting. I'm assuming you meant Flash at LW on the 2nd line and Semin at RW.

I think Chimera would be a must on the 3rd line to add a speed component to Laich and Knuble since neither of them are too fast. It is always good to have at least one fast guy on each line.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Posted by: sgm3 | October 20, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

MaJo is struggling as 3C, I wouldn't want him as 2C at this point in his career. Why don't we stick Flash on the 1st line, make him stand in front of the net. That way Ovie could kill him with a shot and nobody would have to beat on him anymore. Laich is listed as a center but, based on what I see, the Caps don't really think he is a capable center.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 20, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

If we need a 6th D does anybody think Sheldon Souray would be a good choice? He would have a cap number of 2.7 million (the oilers would have to pay the other 2.7 million) for this year and next. I can't think they would ask much for him (since they will never use him). This would fit under our cap but, just about tap us out. He has more offensive upside than defensive. Just a thought.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 20, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps

His cap hit would only be $2.7 after being placed on re-entry waivers and we would be one of the last teams to have a chance to claim him. At $2.7 per, many teams would take him and these are teams that would have the chance before us. It would take nothing shy of a miracle for us to be able to claim him (which no doubt we would if given the chance).

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 20, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps - problem with Souray is we get stuck with the cap hit for several years. I wouldn't bite, he's definitely overpaid.

I like the line juggling and I think will happen. Maybe even Perrault will get some time now.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Here is another take on lines. Again, try not to trash them too much, as it's just an idea.

OV - Backs - Fehr
Laich - Flash - Semin
Chimmy - Hendricks - Knuble
King - Stecks/Gordo - Brads

I know this drops MaJo off the roster, but as everyone has said he is not ready to be 2C at this point and I, like many others, feel like the third line should be more of a grit/shut down group. Again, it's just an idea, but I am teaching right now and bored, so I thought I would share.

Posted by: Aldred15 | October 20, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that the Caps are considering more traffic in front. Maybe they should also consider winning more faceoffs, giving up fewer loose pucks and scoring on the power play.

Posted by: BobLHead | October 20, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Trade Flash for Stamkos...just use controller one to offer the trade and use controller 2 to accept the trade. Bada bing, bada boom."

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 20, 2010 12:36 PM

@SAOTI:

I wish it were that easy but sorry, but it won't work: You'd get the Black Circle (Square? Triangle? Dodecahedron?) Of Death and your XBox Live account would instantly get banned.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 20, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Be patient with the first line. Demote Johanssson and promote Perreault to the second line which will have incredible speed. Get Fleischmann and Steckle back to his natural positions. I like the 4th line alot, should be very good at hemming people in.

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Knuble
Semin/Perrealt/Laich
Fehr/Johansson/Fleischmann
Chimera/Steckel/Hendricks

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | October 20, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Knuble
Semin/Perrealt/Laich
Fehr/Johansson/Fleischmann
Chimera/Steckel/Hendricks

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | October 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Perreault isn't a defensive center. I don't think he works out very well as a 3rd. Do we even know what kind of a faceoff guy he is? How about we leave everything the same and see if Thursday is better. When Green returns, that will help alot with defense and transition.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 20, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are doing fine with defense.
The Caps need more offense and guys going more aggressively for loose pucks and attacking the open ice. This is what Perreault does.

Steckle at one time was a good 3rd line center. He is a better center than wing. Fleischmann is a better wing than a center.

Johansson looks lost and doesnt belong anywhere but on third or fourth line learning things until the Caps decide a few months before the playoffs whether to send him back down or not.

The only forwards I like so far are Laich and Hendricks. Everyone else is playing below what they should be doing.

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | October 20, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Geez, the 2nd line has arguably been our best line, and now 3/4 of you want to completely dismantle it? Does.not.compute.

As for Perrault - he wasn't good enough to make the team, but now all of a sudden he should be our 2C? Wow.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 20, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

As for Fehr's 'reach' - height matters in hoops, not hockey. It is about burst / quickness, and I don't see it. Not enough to be on the top line, in any case - unless you're a one-man wrecking crew. And I don't see that, either.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 20, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I had a good chuckle seeing the title. The Caps have had this problem for the last few years and they still haven't figured it out. Their euro style offense only works in the regular season, but now it's not even working during the regular season with teams having figured out how to shut down OV-errated. Sad waste of talent.

Posted by: BigGameSid | October 20, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse