Posted at 7:12 AM ET, 11/26/2010

Caps-Lightning: A rivalry renewed

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

With the success of the new and improved Tampa Bay Lightning it adds an extra level of rivalry to the Capitals' Southeast Division Schedule. Heading into Friday's game at Verizon Center, the Lightning is one of the hottest team in the NHL. Tampa Bay has won five straight games, has two players among the top two scorers in the league -- Steven Stamkos (38) and Martin St. Louis (29) -- and are four points out of first place in the Eastern Conference.

"We're playing arguably, right now the best team in the league, the hottest team anyway," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "Them or Philly, but these guys beat Philly. Ever since they beat Philly too, they've been allowing no goals but still scoring five....We know we've got our hands full. We know they're a really good team, and hopefully we're ready for them."

Tampa Bay owns the fourth-best penalty kill in the league (88.6 percent) and fourth-best power play (25.3 percent) with 20 goals on the man-advantage, meaning discipline and strong play 5-on-5 will be particularly important.

After the Lightning's most recent win, a 5-3 victory over the Rangers, members of the upstart team remarked that they weren't happy with the way in which they earned the two points. Tampa Bay built a 5-0 lead against New York before giving up three, third-period goals. (Sound familiar?)

So as the Capitals and Lightning face off for the second time in a season where these games may have more meaning -- and more at stake -- than in years past, does this renewed rivalry mean anything more to you?

FROM THE POST
How Steve Yzerman has quickly restructured the Lightning and helped it back on the path of success.

Mike Knuble said he's ready to get back in the lineup Friday against Tampa Bay -- a week after suffering a broken jaw when he was hit in the face by a shot.

AROUND THE WEB
HBO released another, shorter, preview of what is to come on "24/7" and you can check it out below.

By Katie Carrera  | November 26, 2010; 7:12 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup, Tampa Bay Lightning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Knuble "ready to play" with broken jaw
Next: Mike Green out against Tampa Bay

Comments

Boucher is proving to be an incredible coach. He was excellent in the QMJHL and that is translating well into the NHL as well. The Lightning have one of the few offences that can outscore the Caps on any given night, so this should be a battle. Penalties could easily be the difference in this one.

Posted by: Aldred15 | November 26, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

This "renewed rivalry" doesn't speak much to me; I anticipate a passive, clean game with not much hitting....game will lack the intensity characteristic of true rivals. Given Ovi's history with Downie, and in light of his actions after the NJ game, I do expect a spirited game from Ovi; we'll see who on the team follows his lead

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know of an online feed for todays game?

Posted by: capsfan1983 | November 26, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If the Caps want to win this one, they better not disappear for a period or two as they have as of late.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I got a feeling Semin is going to explode all over the ice tonight. The guy has some catching up to do and he has been just off a hair the past couple games. He fine tunes his shot and nets 3 tonight.

Caps win 5-2

P.S. For the love of god, keep Stamkos off the score sheet.

P.S.S. Poor Esskay...at least 7 games of hot dog eating, whatever will he do? Oh yeah, he'll do what he does best, scarf down hot dogs in the press box.

P.S.S.S. For someone who posted that "at least Fahey didnt have one go off him this time". He got close. I think it was in the 3rd or late in the 2nd...had a puck bounce off his back and Varly had to make an awkward save. My Varly hurting groin on a Fahey save damn near came true. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"members of the upstart team remarked that they weren't happy with the way in which they earned the two points. Tampa Bay built a 5-0 lead against New York before giving up three, third-period goals. (Sound familiar?)"

Nope. The caps are perfectly happy with a 5-3 win. ; p

Posted by: Dizruption | November 26, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Which is why you play Knuble in this game rather than King.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Strange that DJ King is being showcased by HBO - the guy never plays for us and probably won't get a chance to suit up for the winter classic. I wish BB would use him more. I now wonder why we gave up SDR - a great prospect - for him, if he never plays?

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

cap lanta,

Matt Hendricks is why DJK doesn't play. SDR being traded for DJK predates Hendricks being invited to camp and earning a contract.

SDR a great prospect? From what I read, Bruess has a better shot than SDR in making the bigs. Time will tell.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@ Steve

Yes, time will tell. I just liked SDR's fiesty attitude - the Caps need more of that (Hendricks definitely brings it). I like any prospect coached up by Dale Hunter; we should draft more of them.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 26, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOverTheIce

I hope your prediction is correct. I'm hoping for a great game for AS as well.

When Joe Benenati and Locker posted that shot with multiple copies of Semin (to indicate that he was all over the ice), I thought of you.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Wow, it's dead on here today. How am I supposed to make it through work if nobody is debating/arguing/insulting each other etc. Come on people.

How about line predictions.

Or how I would rather see a 3rd line of
ChimChim/Hendricks/Fehr (instead of flash on that line or Gordo).

And when is GMGM going to bring us that D-man...wtf it's almost December. GET ON IT GM.

(drops a shot of goat's blood into a half glass of kool-aid and then chugs it).

mmmm, now that was a tasty Goat Bomb.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

saoti,

You want I should call you a dumba@@ to get the ball rolling?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@ctcapsphan..."Which is why you play Knuble in this game rather than King."

in a meaningless regular season game #23, I wouldn't jeopardize extending a hurt-Knuble's absence; play a hungry, motivated King tonight instead of someone who might play not to get hurt

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

vermont,

But who gives the Caps a better chance to get two points from the Bolts: 22 or 17? I'm a firm believer in putting the team on the ice that best gives you the chance to win. 6 minutes of DJK isn't the answer, in my opinion.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@Steve_R

No no no, that wont get me riled up. We need something better, something saucier.

Something like...
"We need to trade Semin ASAP while his value is high"
"Ovie has lost it, he's basically done in his career, he has been solved and can no longer perform, we should package him with Fehr, Semin, Green, Shultz, so we can get back Richards and Pronger."
"Erskine sucks, Vermontcaps tells us everyday"
"We need to re-sign Sloan to a multi-year, multi million dollar deal before someone tries to snag him up"
"BB really likes garden salads, but personally I prefer more of a field/micro greens with dates, walnuts, and a champagne vinagrette."

Discuss....

You now...crazy stuff.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

tonight, i'd go with:
ovi, backstrom, laich
semin, johanssen, Fehr
chimera, gordon, hendricks
bradley, steckel, king

green/shultz (or poti if green unable)
carlson/alzner
poti/erskine (or whomever if green unable)

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@saoti
"Erskine sucks, Vermontcaps tells us everyday".....too funny :)

@Steve_R
agreed, Knuble versus DJK in the lineup is a no brainer (although 2 goals to none is hardly a ringing endorsement); but to me, it comes down to DJK vs. Fleishman in the lineup as Laich filling in for Knuble is an upgrade in that regard....let's give the man a chance

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

So you think Knuble stays scratched?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I agree. give king a chance. I'd either scratch steckel or flash

Posted by: _stevo | November 26, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Give King a chance: yes. But not tonight. Bolts special teams are crazy good this year. Need the best pk'ers playing, and that ain't King.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Whatever.

Let Tampa win tonight. Let them win the division.

When do the playoffs start?

Posted by: noslok | November 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Whats DJ King's strange accent?

Posted by: c_majors | November 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Wish all the online feeds werent blocked at work. I'd be able to kill time no problem. Stupid work, always wanting me to work when Im here. So lame.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOverTheIce

I had posted my line suggestions yesterday but I'll say them again. I was making the assumption that Knubs is coming back.

1) First line will remain Laich/Backstrom/Ovi. Given that that particular combo worked so well, I expect Bruce to leave it be.

2) Second Line -- I figure Knubs will go on the RW there. Sasha will move to LW to make room for Knubs and he was originally at RW to get more TOI when Ovi took extra long shifts but now that Ovi has moved to LW (for now), it defeats the purpose of Semin at RW. So, that means a line of Semin/Johansson/Knubs. It appears that Laich has played well enough to bump any other persons down to lower lines.

3) Third line to be Flash/Gordon/Fehr, the line meant to stop Ming of Mongo (or the 'Ning of Tampa)

4) Fourth line: I presume Bradley/Stecks/Hendricks. (I doubt we see King today)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Whats DJ King's strange accent?

Posted by: c_majors | November 26, 2010 12:28 PM

It's called repeatedly being punched in the head.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Whats DJ King's strange accent?

Posted by: c_majors | November 26, 2010 12:28 PM

It's called repeatedly being punched in the head.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

or being canadien

Posted by: _stevo | November 26, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I left out Chimmer. He could substitute for someone on either the 3rd or 4th line, I haven't figured out who should sit.

On King: I figured if he was going to start, Carolina would have been the team for him to start, just to wake the boys up. While I have a better opinion of our other boys' playing ability than King's, I figured he'd start, just to send a message to the guys. Except who would have been the person to sit to make room?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 26, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Knuble will be scratched tonight (I appreciate and respect his willingness to get back in there, but I think it gives BB a built-in excuse to give King a chance; no need to risk anything so soon after sustaining his break)...I do think someone's going to have a big game tonight...either Ovi or Semin is going to get a hat-trick in a 5-2 Caps win

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 26, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

1-0 after one, Canes over Bruins.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I want to see...but I think I got a better chance of riding a unicorn to the game:

Ovie-Backs-Semin
Fehr-Johanssen-Knuble
ChimChim-Laich-Hendricks
Bradley-Stecks-Gordo (or King)

Thats a nasty scoring line, great 3rd line for shut down purposes, gives Fehr some needed 2nd line minutes to show he is worth the money were paying him, and 4th line is typical 4th line.

Enjoy the stands Flash.

Come on BB...DO IT.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

That is the 3rd line that SHOULD be out there every night but it will never happen with BB as the coach. I'm so tired of this team getting a lead and then giving up two or three to allow teams to get back in the contest. A solid defensive line would certainly help this from not occuring, that and a coach that preaches strong defensive play by all of his lines when the team gets such a lead. You see so many other teams take a big lead as the Caps did against the Canes the other night completely change and start clogging the neutral zone and playing the trap but the Caps just continue to attack giving the opposition opportunites to get odd man rushes/prime scoring chances.

There, that should get the koolaiders ganging up on me to entertain you for the rest of the afternoon!

Posted by: PhilR | November 26, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

SeminAllOverTheIce:
i don't think you can saddle a unicorn.
also - i don't want to know how you plan on mounting said unicorn so you don't fall off.

sloan can school flash on how to order dogs and nachos from the press box.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 26, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | November 26, 2010 1:05 PM

BB's style is to just keep pouring it on. best defense is MORE offense. up by two or three and double shift the first 2 lines - pull the goalie if that is in order.
how's that?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 26, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Pssh...what a noob. First off, its just inane to think you can actually saddle a unicorn, they MUST be ridden bare back. Everyone knows to properly mount a unicorn you have to sneak attack it from above (the best way being by an overhead swinging vine). Upon landing, you have to grasp firmly with both hands on the actual horn. It looks a bit inappropriate, but hey, its the only way to control and ride the sucker.

Wow....work is reallllllly slow I guess.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that has been working really well this year hasn't it? And it really is a great style for the playoffs don't you think? How has that style worked the last couple years come April?

Posted by: PhilR | November 26, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Canes taking it to TT and the B's.

2-0

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

------------------------

that's like throwing 30, 40-yard bombs when you have a two-TD lead in the 4th qt in football... just like you gotta run the ball and let the clock run out in football, you gotta be able to sit back, play defense and wait for counter attacks when you have a lead in the 3rd period in hockey.

Posted by: joek443 | November 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

nice...Sens up on the Guins. Make Cindy cry, make Cindy cry.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Stall sure does suck taking draws. 33% so far today. Shame that's a stat that's tracked in my fantasy league...

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Flash is better at faceoffs than Staal.... Brings epic suckiness to an all new level.

Come to think of it, Jordan can't win a draw either.

And Mark got bongo'd by Semin.

Guess every family has its flaws.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Dang...Sens got 21 shots off in the first. Pens got 14. Sounds like a shooting frenzy.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOverTheIce

Let's go, Sen-a-tors! Let's go, Sens!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Mark's older brothers took him behind the barn over the summer to beat his a@@ for losing to Semin like that.... Need to find a youtube link for that, need a chuckle.

Another good one was Avery making fun of Talbot

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Any word on who is starting G for the Caps? I don't recall reading this anywhere... curious to see if Varly gets back-to-back or if Neuvy is in. Also curious to see how this plays out assuming both are healthy.

Posted by: PSD1 | November 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Capt, that made me laugh.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

psd1,

Leftwinglock shows Neuvy, but not confirmed yet.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@PSD1

No morning skate today, so no real way of knowing. Guess we will have to wait until the pregame skate.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Knuble really proven his top line status is a mirage and needs to be more productive with 2nd and 3rd line roles. Skating with Semin on the 2nd line makes more sense and Laich on the first line gives us more depth were we need it most. The Bolts will come at us at every shift so if we don't counter that eqaully, it will be a long night. I see a Caps win but not in regulation.

Posted by: RodLangwayFan | November 26, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Knuble on the 2nd or 3rd lines with Laich on 1st. Gives us more depth were we need it most since the Bolts will come at us every shift. I see a Caps win but not in regulation.

Posted by: RodLangwayFan | November 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the repost but my PC just locked up.

Posted by: RodLangwayFan | November 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So anyway saoti, what kind of return do you think GMGM will get for Semin when he trades him out West?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 26, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R
Please go stand in the front of the goal while Fehr is practicing his shot please. He needs someone screening. K thanks.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So, is it Flush's turn to sit again tonight.....I hope?

Posted by: PhilR | November 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

ugh...F the pens.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOverTheIce

You watching this? I looked like interference to me....

Posted by: sk8ersublime | November 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately Phil, I think Flush gets a jersey tonight. :(

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@sk8ersublime
Nah, cant stream it at work...Im just following the Icetracker thing on NHL.com.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOverTheIce

Come on, Senators! All is not lost yet.

Repeat after me. Let's go Senators! Let's go Sens! clap clap clap clap

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

SeminAllOverTheIce:
it's quitting time - i'm giving you permission to go home now - don't forget to shut the lights off on the way out!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

What in the world are you doing working today? I thought everyone took the day after Thanksgiving off! There is no way I could work today, I'm still full and a bit hung over from all the turkey and wine yesterday.

Posted by: PhilR | November 26, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Home....no way. I got to be at the Verizon Center by 5 and have lots of booze to drink before then. ;)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

new post
green out - fahey recalled

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 26, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

yea im at work too :\ myp2p works tho :D crappy game.

Posted by: sk8ersublime | November 26, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I needed my vaykay days for Winter Classic and Mardi Gras. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 26, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

So you guys are unhappy when the Caps take a 2-0 lead and the other team scores 2 to tie? Would it be better if it was 1-1 and then 2-2? When can't shut out everyone. We are going to give up goals sometime during the game. This should be a good game tonight.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 26, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse