Mike Green says he's nearly back to normal

Morning Roundup

Although he played nearly nine minutes in the first period of the Capitals' 3-0 win over Carolina last night, Mike Green didn't look completely comfortable yet. In his first full game back after missing three contests with a shoulder injury, Green was passing up open opportunities to take slap shots from the blue line and seemed a little hesitant to use his body as leverage against opponents.

But as the game wore on, Green's confidence in his health rose, and even though the two-time Norris Trophy candidate didn't have his best game, the Capitals benefited from his ability to move the puck up ice and create plays.

"I think Mike definitely helps," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He can get the puck out of the zone, and that's where we've been having trouble. He gets it and he clears it. He had some breakdowns today, but it was his first game back so I think he was a little bit tentative. Having him back is a huge plus for us."

This wasn't the start Green wanted to the 2010-11 season, a setback from the beginning that forced him to essentially start the year over again. When one of the Hurricanes knocked him down awkwardly behind the net in the first period, though, Green got back up and was relieved to realize he felt fine.

"There are some times when you realize, 'Oh it's okay,' and you can play and push through," said Green, who started to throw out checks of his own. "I maybe got a little too aggressive at times and took some penalties. I'm definitely feeling good...I started throwing myself around just to make sure that it's okay, and it is. It's taken awhile to get back and now it's about mentally just playing my game."

He took two penalties, a roughing call after being hit in the corner and a tripping call drawn by Carolina captain Eric Staal that looked more like a shoulder-to-shoulder check, if anything. Late in the contest Green, who played more than 23 minutes against the Hurricanes, even wound up for one of his usual slap shots.

"Yeah, a full slap shot," Green said with a smile. "I'm basically, if not at 100 [percent healthy], very close."

FROM THE POST
Last night's game story.

Yet another D.C. sports crossover: John Wall at the Caps game. (Bog)

Is Jason Chimera the NHL's fastest skater? "He can fly," says teammate Mike Knuble. (Bog)

AROUND THE WEB
Corey Masisak's recap for CSN Washington.

Ted Leonsis isn't hearing from the "haters" after a 3-0 win. (Ted's Take)

Joe Corvo says his former team is "dangerous" and Alex Ovechkin is a "fun guy." (Alex Ovetjkin)

By Katie Carrera  | October 28, 2010; 9:57 AM ET
Categories:  Injuries, Mike Green, Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals play 'most complete game' in 3-0 win over Hurricanes
Next: Morning skate update

Comments

Tonight would be an EXCELLENT NIGHT, to find our groove on the PP.

Guys might not have the legs they did last night, and if thats the case, lets how our advantage in SKILL can carry us.

Our PP SUCKED at the end of last season, and that has carried over to this season, and it STICKS IN MY CRAW!

Despite that, valiant team effort last night, and spectacular individual performance by Nuevy.

...and WHERE IS WTF!?!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 28, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Great complete game last night...Neuvy was awesome!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 28, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

That was as close to a 60 minute performance as you are going to get. The first two goals were the type that you get by playing smart, simple, hockey.

The one glaring negative last night was taking penalties to eliminate our PP. I never even saw Green's penalty on replay but from what he mouthed going to the box, he wasnt happy. MP's penalty just can't happen, it was a nice effort on him to go for the lift check but on the PP just be a little bit smarter than that.

Neuvy great as usual. Flash I didn't notice on defense last night so that is a good thing. And I think Sloan played his best game of the season.

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that Leonsis finds criticism of a poor performance "hating". What an egotistical blowhard that guy is.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sloan - Erskine combo.

They seemed to be best suited to play with each other (as scary as that sounds).

And just give them smart minutes.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 28, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't care what Joe Corvo says...in fact, after the bust he was in WSH he should be lucky to have an NHL job.

I think Sloan had his best game, and Sloan stinks...but Sloan is a better option that Jose Corvo any day of the week.

GO CAPS! Neuvie for President.

Posted by: netminder71 | October 28, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@ poguesmahone

As your blog names imples maybe thats what Ted Should do. While I am grateful for the team has built and his willingness to do what it takes I too think he wears his emotions on his arm.

@ wtf_e_fehr

Go Matty Go !!!!!! Another awesome game from MP last night.

Shout out to Section 115 !!!!!!!!

Drop the Puck !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Very strong effort last night. I would have liked to see them pouncing on the many juicy rebounds Ward gave up. It was good to see Nicky finally bang one of those home. Like Brooks said, "if you want goals, go to the net." Someone needs to put that on the t-shirts instead of "Stay Angry." Otherwise, looking good. Obviously Matt Bradley was the key ingredient that's been missing these past few games.

Posted by: JillC | October 28, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@poguesmahone:

After the Jagr debacle, Ted Leonsis had the good sense to get out of the way and let the hockey people handle the hockey end of the business. Hardly the mark of an "egotistical (sic.) blowhard".

Since then, he has done what any owner in his position should do: Listening and acting on that which he can directly and ably influence, and leaving the rest to people who know those jobs best.

Mr. Leonsis may be many things, but I am not alone in thinking that an "egostistical blowhard" is definitely NOT one of those things.

And if that makes me a KoolAid® Drinker, I just have one thing to say:

Bartender, Pour Me Another!

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 28, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the Teds take blog entry and calling people "haters." It is quite funny that most likely the people he labels haters want the team to play the exact way they did, which he goes on to describe in the next paragraph. Maybe that's why he doesn't here from them, haha. If they played that way 4 out of 5 games he'd probably receive less emails from the people he labels "haters."

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

And regarding whoever made the comment that he is an egotistical blowhard. He's far from that. Does he have a big ego? Sure he does, in all honesty you have to have one to get where he has gotten. But I think he maintains a pretty level head for the most part. I mean he's open to hearing from the fans, I know if I was an owner I would never open up an email account for fans to write to me. It would become very annoying, very fast.

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Overall very good game from the Caps - but first and foremost Neuvy. He saved MP's line on more than one occasion - MP had a few very rough shifts in his own end, granted he was going against Staal and Jokinnen, but he looked a little overmatched. He does bring flash and dash but now I better understand the concerns about his defensive play. And that was just a terrible penalty, you simply can not take a penalty in the offensive zone, never mind to eliminate a PP.

Overall though, very solid team effort and a sensational game from Neuvirth, man he's good.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 28, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"While it is very scary I think that Erskine is the one working his butt off on that line and it is the only reason Sloan looks even some what close to decent. Note I said decent not good.".....bqts

Rag on Sloan all you want, but if you haven't noticed Erskine's contributions thus far I suppose you never will...I'll just say that team success isn't predicated upon a collection of individuals as much as it is the sum of the whole....sure we could replace Erskine with Shultz/Alzner/Poti clone but then the team as a whole would sorely miss the attributes he brings to the table...so enough with the Erskine bashing and recognize that the team is getting exactly what they need from the 5-6th slot in Erskine

Posted by: vermontcaps | October 28, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@vermont caps

well said about the lumberjack....you know he is playing well when japers rink isn't even ragging on him

Posted by: _stevo | October 28, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"Like I said about 2 weeks ago, let them have a few weeks and lets see how it goes (and I still want an upgrade from Erskine and Sloan!)."
Posted by: chriscaps | October 28, 2010 11:02 AM

Sloan, yes, shouldn't be hard to find a player better than him. But Erskine plays a role on this team that nobody else has been able to fill since Brenden Witt. And, he's playing some of the best hockey of his career. As the season goes on, I think you'll see a lot more appreciation for what he contributes.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 28, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

AZSportsJunkie:

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that the Sloan-Erskine combo was very good last night. I hope BB has the sense not to push his luck. They both had 27+ TOI last night. With tired legs I hope they get about 10-12 TOI tonight. One game isn't changing my thoughts on upgrading by picking up a d-man. I would love to be wrong and have Sloan-Erskine click the rest of the year!

Posted by: chriscaps | October 28, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

You guys are starting to convince me on Erskine, not sure I want him in either of the top-two pairings but he sure fills a valuable role. As for Sloan - while he did play much, much better last night, and I think over 27 mins, is that really correct?

Overall though, I'm not sure what it is with #89 - is it nerves maybe, and the poor guy knows this is really his shot at establishing himself as a legit NHL d-man, and he doesn't want to screw it up and is just trying too dang hard? I haven't seen Hershey play that often but my understanding is he played much better than this in the A, am I wrong about that?

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 28, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@Capt Kirk:

I will be flying out to that game as well and then hitting the ducks game too!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | October 28, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the big difference with Ersk this year is he is playing healthy and aggressively as opposed to last year when he was tentative as he was afraid another concussion would end his career. Players like Ersk have got to play with gri and nastiness to make up for the lack of skill set that many others have naturally and he was a bit timid about doint that last year IMO.

If my career was on the line I would most likely be timid as well. But I think he had a hell of an off season and came back ready and not worried any longer which is good to see.

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

darrylrbaker:
if i can get your e-mail address - i can update you with what is going on

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Man, Buff sure seemed to turtle in a hurry when #4 got close!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 28, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Erskine has been playing great. Some on this board get all disjointed that he makes hits that they believe takes him out of position without ever criticizing the forward who floats back and doesn't cover for the Dman making the hit (as it should be; of course there are times when the Dman should refrain from this because there is nobody around to cover for him). Second I think the caps break out relies too heavily on the long break out pass and does not emphasize the work of wingers along the half wall nearly enough (or at least certain fans place a disproportionate amount of blame on the defenders).
Next, I love having Sloan on this team..... as an 8th defender. I think he is far more valuable than people realize. That being said I only like seeing him on the ice if at least two dmen are injured.
Also none of this changes the fact that I think the caps could still very much use a Dman that plays like Erskine only better (capable of shutting down the other teams top line consistently). If such an acquisition were made I would keep Erskine on the 3rd pair. Earlier I was really hoping Alzner would become the seventh dman this season but haven't noticed him much the last few games which I think is a good thing.

Posted by: BorntoHula | October 28, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps

I do not think the TOI from last night's game is accurate. According to the box score Erskinse and Sloan each had about 28 minutes. But Backstrom only had 10:55, Semin with 9:49 and Ovie with only 8:18.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Ovie had more ice time than 8:18 last night.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 28, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"AZSportsJunkie:
we have a group of caps fans that are planning to attend the caps @ coyotes game on feb 14th - would you have any interest in joining us?"
Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 11:46 AM

My wife and I will be there. Will there be any kind of get-together before the game? How can I get in touch with you?

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 28, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR
I don't think erksine was playing tentatively last year I think the organization prefers the smooth skating dman with better passing ability and he therefore did not get much of a shot last year especially with ShaMo still being here. I also do not think there was less tolerance for aggressive penalties last year. Maybe I am wrong but I had the impression that the team was more forgiving of an offensive zone hook than a cross checking or roughing call in the defensive zone.

Posted by: BorntoHula | October 28, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 28, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"CaptKirk: Do you go to random Coyote games? My wife and I are heading to Phoenix tonight and got some box seats for Saturday's game. We'll be cheering for the 'yotes loudly because they are playing the Lightning.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 28, 2010 12:24 PM"

Kirk:
I think it is time that you post your email address so you can be the point of contact and we can all plan to get together on Feb 14th. I know that the Caps Fan Club will be there, too.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 28, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the TOI is messed up. The detailed report (http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/TV020124.HTM) shows Erskine and Sloan each skating the first 11 minutes of both the 1st and 2nd periods. I don't think so!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | October 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Sloan did not have a terrible game, which is about all I ask of that guy. Erskine played like a good 6/7 dman. Tough, but slow. I would like to see the Caps pick up a partner for Green who is a legit shut down blueliner. Erskine is great against tougher, slower teams, but fast teams with him are not his or the Caps best option. I truly hope the Caps can make a good trade this year.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 28, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Wiley: Capt Kirk has a bunch of us lined up. We are going to get group discount for at least 15 tickets maybe 20 tickets as we had I think 13 confirmed seats as of a few weeks ago. If Caps fan club will be there and if we can tag along with their seat purchase that would be even better as it would make for a giant group. I will also be at Anaheim Wed Feb 16th and maybe Sharks Thu Feb 17th. Not sure on Sharks as that would make for 1500 miles driving (I am 50 miles north of LA) in about 5 days. I might just do LA-PHX-LA drive and then watch Sharks on TV.

Capt Kirk: Anyway for you to contact the Caps Fan Club and see where they are sitting and if we can join along? Does that make sense? Otherwise I like where you've picked for the seats. Does anyone have Caps Fan Club phone number? I can call them to set up for Anaheim game if they will be here.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 28, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 28, 2010 12:28 PM

kdwiedel @ aol . com

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My imagination or did Carolina have a ton of empty seats for "home opener?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 28, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 28, 2010 12:17 PM

i haven't planned that far ahead yet. since valentines day is not a recognized holiday - i might already be pushing it to pick up my wife from work and drive from the east valley over to glendale to see the puck drop. (although i'll be pressing her to try and get out of work between 3 and 4 so we can get over there and have a bite to eat and some 'refreshments' before the game)

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 28, 2010 12:24 PM"

i used to try and attend a few games a year when they were in downtown phx at US Air arena (the old america west areana) - but not now. the drive from glendale to where i live in mesa would probably be about an hour and a half (if you include getting out of the parking lot). that would put me well past my bedtime.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, someone else that has to get to bed at a decent hour or they are a zombie the next day. Tonight's late start is going to KILL me tomorrow!

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps

Go back to Japers, you can't read what I posted

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Certainly is nice in here the day after a COMPLETE game was played and no one player was blatantly bad out there. I think that just proves that us so called "haters" can be satisfied with the performance of the team although some in here have claimed that can never happen.

Now onto another good, solid performance this evening against teh Wild and I will be even happier. Man, I actually gave compliments to both Flash and Sloan today, never thought in a million years that would happen on the same day!! Hope it's Theo tonight and that he has a decent game but gets outplayed by Neuvy/Holtby. I really respect Theo and would like to see him do well after all he has been through. From what I have heard though the Minnesota media is all over him calling him a prima donna.

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Washington Capitals Fan Club"

has listed (no details though):
Western Road Trip
Monday, February 14th - Phoenix
Wednesday, February 16th – Anaheim
Thursday, February 17th – San Jose

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Kirk,

darryl.baker44@yahoo.com

Posted by: darrylrbaker | October 28, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

All indications is its Neuvy vs Backstrom tonight.

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

What's up with no morning skate update? Is everything done through tweet now??!! Some of our employers block tweet so we need information the old fashioned way!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat

Where are you getting the info ? As it sure isnt from this page today :(

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

on twitter where all the hockey news breaks first.

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

Vogs tweeted that it was neuvy awhile ago... i have to check the twitter on my phone since work blocks it. It sucks

Posted by: _stevo | October 28, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Come back Tarik

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

New post finally!

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"@ vermontcaps
Go back to Japers, you can't read what I posted"....bqts

OK.....so you're scared to admit that Erskine's working hard?? I know how you feel about Johnny E. and you never comment about Sloan/Erskine without mentioning the other....your backhanded compliment of Erskine's play is appreciated by this lifelong fan

Posted by: vermontcaps | October 28, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse