Posted at 7:34 AM ET, 12/21/2010

Mathieu Perreault still seeking consistency

By Paul Tenorio
Morning Roundup

Sitting at his locker on Monday afternoon, Mathieu Perreault said he aspires mostly for consistency -- creating opportunities with his passing on a game-to-game basis.

So his two-goal performance that sparked the Capitals to a 3-2 win on Sunday against the Ottawa Senators was distinctive as much because Perreault does not consider himself a goal scorer as that it continues a trend in which the 22-year-old seems to put up points in bunches between longer less productive spans.

"This is what they want me to do, to try to be good every night and try to create," Perreault said. "Other games I was creating things but I wasn't getting any points or goals. For sure, I would like to get points on more games than just getting bunches in one, but it's something I'm going to work on."

Perreault's two goals were his first points since a two-goal performance against Toronto on Dec. 6 -- a stretch of four games that coincided with Washington's eight-game losing streak.

The goals came somewhat uncharacteristically, as he crashed the net and did the dirty work in front. Asked to evaluate Perreault in his latest call-up, Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau praised the forward for his performance against Ottawa.

"He's an opportunist," Boudreau said. "He can make plays and we could tell right off the bat that he had a lot of energy in last night's game and didn't know it was going to end up with two goals, but it did, and we're grateful for that."

MORE FROM THE POST
Eric Fehr will likely miss tonight's game against New Jersey to attend his grandmother's funeral, while Alexander Semin (undisclosed lower-body injury) is also doubtful.

The always-entertaining Bruce Boudreau talks about cursing and sleep deprivation in his latest radio appearance. (Bog)

AROUND THE WEB
What we can take away from the Caps' losing streak: They're going to have a chip on their shoulder, and they're going to be good. (Puck Daddy)

Michal Neuvirth is up, Jason Chimera is down. (Japers' Rink)

Construction begins soon on the Winter Classic's outdoor hockey rink at Heinz Field. (NHL.com)

Weirdness: Alex Ovechkin as Harry Potter (RMNB) and the Hershey Bears' holiday spirit (OFB).

By Paul Tenorio  | December 21, 2010; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  Mathieu Perreault, Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin is memorable
Next: Statistical analysis: The emergence of Mathieu Perreault

Comments

Hopefully he makes them keep him up with the big club past the expiration of the roster freeze.

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 21, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

First,N0?

Where is everyone, all the negative comments.....

No matter what happens, let us be positive, tis the season!!

As a long suffering fan since 1981, i have seen lots of great teams not finishing what they started.

Merry Christmas........

Posted by: hunter321 | December 21, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Not to be cynical but "they're going to have a chip on their shoulder, they're goiing to be good" you mean that same chip that was going to make us angry from last years playoffs... oh caps I still love you, and I believe you can get back the wins and the eventually get the cup, but if the playoffs were today or in the. Next month we would be in trouble. String together some wins, keep the pk and defense going strong and offense hold leads, and be able to come back from 1 or 2 goal defecits.

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | December 21, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Nice post, capsfan387

Posted by: hunter321 | December 21, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

As a long time Caps fan exiled to Philly, I have found encouragement remembering where the hated Flyers were at this time last year (well out of the playoff picture, new coach, still mired in a losing streak). And we all remember how Philly wound up from barely making the playoffs to the Cup finals. As Danny Briere and others said, the experience really made them mentally tougher and stronger teammates for the playoffs. While I'd rather not finish as the 7th or 8th seed on the final day of the season, we should not be daunted by the experience (yet).

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | December 21, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Whole team still seeking consistency.

Posted by: thiazzi | December 21, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Concerning DJK, here's a thought:

Assume some of the whispers making the rounds about certain Caps players enjoying too much nightlife has some validity to it. Is it possible that DJK (being young, wealthy, and likeable) is frequently w/the younger guns tearing it up socially, and BB resents that and somehow blames him? Could it be that he can't hold his chosen ones accountable, so BB has decided to make an example of DJK to try to get some kind of message sent to the team?

It's dumbfounding how BB hasn't tried inserting King into the lineup to shake things up (especially since we were 4-1-0 in his last 5 games played, but not good enough to get DJK into consecutive games?). I would sure like to know what's going on with that situation.

Win or lose, if we put forth another uninspiring effort tonight and get thumped Thurs vs. the Pens one thing is sure: BB must go!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

vermont,

I thought DJK was on the IR. Could be wrong, but I remember him getting hit by a puck at Kettler.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: capsfan387

I watched the people on the NHL Network talking about the Caps facing adveristy and they noted how in the past two years the only adversity they faced was in the playoffs. They noted that the problem with that is after the playoffs is over there is a few months break. That adversity is really no longer with the team(spoken by ex-players).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out because this is the most regular season adveristy this team has faced(coming back to win the division wasn't as bad because no one expected the Caps to win the division.) The team is finally dealing with pressure and criticism in the regular season. That often can help bind a team together. It may also seperate a team. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@Steve_R

You are right, DJK is on the IR. It's amazing how quick these great conspiracies can be thrown out the window with a little more information.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

You still have not told me how the all you can eat was in Beantown. Wasn't it great to be able to dunk EVERYTHING in nacho cheese. Boy am I a fatty. =(

And for those keeping count...

12 Days until we can resign Semin long term. Yipppeeeeee!!!!

And for all the Semin haters saying "trade him/let him walk to the KHL", here is your x-mas present. I put it in this brown bag to keep it hidden from you...I'll just set it on your doorstep. There we go. Oh wait, you might not see it, so I better light it on fire and then knock on your door. (knock knock) Tee-hee

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 21, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@steve_r
@sgm3

DJK was placed on IR last week and was set to come off it this past Saturday. His "injury" certainly wasn't enough to justify the designation, he was placed on IR only to make room for A.Gordon and Beagle. His lack of playing time has nothing to do w/any "injury" and thus the conspiracy theory

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I heard that DJK really loves the color green and he wears it all the time.

It is rumored that BB hates the color green and hates anyone who wears it(he allows a St. Patrick Day exception). BB asked/told DJK before the season not to wear the color green ever again as long as he is a member of the Caps. However, DJK loves the color green so much and already owns so many clothes that are green that he decided he will continue to wear green.

Well this infuriated BB and that is why DJK is scratched on so many nights. Just quit wearing the green cloths DJK and you will get more playing time!

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@saoti

the all you can eat section was fantastic, though I wish the hotdogs were a little better....loved the nachos/chili/cheese and unlimited sodas :) My wife and sons never left my side, so I was unable to pick up where you left off w/the cheerleader :( perhaps next year....

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

sgm: Your explanation on King and green clothes is just stupid enough to be believeable.

Maybe on the other hand he eats with his mouth open or talks too loudly on the cell phone. Those are the two things that annoy me.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 21, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@saoti

I'll leave the light on at my doorstep, because I really hope he is moved after the holiday freeze.

I just think we need a tougher team, and Semin is the bargaining chip that can get us that.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 21, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

DJKing...or maybe he is slow, AHL slow, can't finish his checks because of his lack of speed, has hands of stone and is not a really good fighter...I supported the move when we acquired DJ, but I haven't seen any reason to put him in the lineup over Matt Hendricks or even Chimera

Posted by: boomer44 | December 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

GMGM: Welcome to the team DJ, here is your locker.
DJK: Thanks George. Hmm, whats this? Is it ok if I take off this old name plate...what's that say...M. Nylander. Who is Nylander? I take it he is no longer with the team. What happened to him and why did he leave?
GMGM: Hey there Bruce, can I have a word with you.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 21, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

whoops, missed a closed tag there somewhere...sorry folks.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 21, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

tom,

especially at the same time?

boomer,

have to agree with you.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@Steve_R
@boomer44

I agree that when DJK was brought in here he was expected to play more, but Hendricks ended up coming in and beating him out. Therefors, BB gave ice time to the guy who earned it on the ice. Isn't that what people have been clamoring for?

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

continuing effort to ignore the current content in the blog, here's a clip from last night's Pens game. They're beating Phx 5-0 and Phx decides to take some liberties. Starts with a xcheck on I think Malkin. Which leads to the Pens swarming around and ends with a TKO shot by (former Bear) Deryk Engelland on Taylor Pyatt.

And that folks, is how you FINISH a win. Not by shying away from confrontation.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@ Rhino40 (from a previous thread)-

Relax, man. What I'm saying is I don't want us to win a bunch of games even though we played poorly. I don't want us to have a 14-game winning streak even though for 8 of them we were being lazy and irresponsible defensively. That's the kind of thing that just makes the guys think they can continue to play that way, and everything will work out. It makes them think they can play crappy hockey for two periods, and then turn it on in the third and still win.

It's OK for them to win an occasional game they should lose, but overall, I want them to understand that when they play hard, full games of responsible, smart hockey, they generally win, and when they play lazy, sloppy, less-than-full games relying on skill they generally lose.

It's like teaching a dog to sit. You reward them when they do exactly what you want, and ignore (or even punish them) when they don't. They get the idea that when they sit, good things like treats happen. When they don't sit, good things don't happen.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | December 21, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

What part of the code allows Engelland to instigate with someone who a) is well out of his weight class and b) had nothing to do with Malkin getting cross checked?

It was a bush league move by Engelland.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI: Yes, I believe we can officially declare that King has been "Nylandered" by Boudreau.

Steve_R: Absolutely.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 21, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

tom,

Is DJK caught in a rut spinning circles?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

That actually started because Matt Cooke cheapshotted Keith Yandle and may get suspended from it. I'm fine with our players not being dirty, trying to elbow people in the head for the sole purpose to injure them.

There is a line between competing hard to try to win and trying to severly injure someone that could effect their lives. Cooke crossed it again and I do not find that, in any way, noble. I'm glad the Caps players do not play in that sort of fashion.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

sgm3,
DJK's affinity for the color green and Boudreau's opposition to it is the under-reported Caps story of the year. Thank you for bringing it to light! :-)

Posted by: eric22 | December 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

little blurb about the Bears last gm

"you have to give a ton of credit to the 4th line. Nikita Kashirsky, Bruess, and Maxime Lacroix played a spectacular game. They didn't score any goals and only Bruess picked up an assist but they were consistently in the offensive zone with the puck, cycling and getting chances.

And the coaches noticed too. That line got a lot of ice team, even late in the game. I don't have those numbers but I would say they were on the ice more than the 3rd line for sure and maybe even more than Coiner's line. All their shifts were high energy, puck possession shifts that really set the tone and controlled the play."

I like all 3 of those guys. Kashirsky I didn't know much about until I saw him in the rookie game this past yr. I remember him being very strong on his skates and not afraid to put a body into someone. I guess he's a friend of Ovy's or something. Anyway, I hope he keeps developing. He's got the requisite strength to compete and if he has some of those proverbial Euro skills to boot, thats a good thing.

Max Lacroix was one of the 3 Q guys we drafted in '06 along with Bouchard and MP. He was the only one not offered a contract by the Caps but ended up in the ECHL where he's been working really hard and got up to the AHL level with a couple different teams.
Hasn't been able to score at that level but he's a good checking prospect, ala a Sami Pahlsson type. And Bruess is the agitator. But he needs to get much stronger. You can't agitate if you can't bench your own body weight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hendricks, an old buddy of BB's, has earned his place and I'm not begrudging him anything. But to suggest a 3rd line energy guy beat out a 4th line ENFORCER for ice time is totally missing the point. Then again, sgm3, you enjoy watching the likes of Bradley get pummeled and Hendricks cower from Orr, Thornton, Parros, etc... Can't wait to hear what'll be said Friday morning.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

And when those players come head-hunting for Ovi, Backstrom, Semin, Green, et al who do we have that'll make things right for our team and MAKE US PROUD TO BE CAPS FANS?

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

he does seem to miss the point a lot. Hendricks and King should not be competing for the same spot.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

right, because you have to be noble to win the Cup. Lets be the nicest guys in the NHL. That'll get us really far.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

It was a bush league move by Engelland.

Posted by: Steve_R

the Code is vastly overstated. And it only came about recently. Did you watch hockey in the 80s and 90s? No code. Very little squaring off. Players jumped at each other and got into fights. This code thing is a newbie created monster that fails to acknowledge the NHL's violent and unpredictable history. As for taking on someone outside someone's weight class, that's irrelevant in this situation. There was a scrum, folks paired off, Pyatt was willing. And he dropped em with Engelland and paid a price. Did you want Engelland to simply allow Pyatt to punch him? Lets not be absurd.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps

the refs will take care of it silly! we can just leave it upto them to handle it. Of course, that doesn't undo any injury..and if the refs don't take care of it you'll get a slew of Caps fans complaining about how the refs continue to screw us over. Lose/Lose.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I do find it funny that so many Caps are supposedly cowering from Colton Orr or whoever. You do realize that Colton Orr averages 5:00 minutes of ice time a game. That is it.

So he is not on the ice for 55 minutes of the game. Surely, no Caps are "cowering" when Mr. Orr is on the bench, correct?

If BB wants to dress DJK because he feels it is his best lineup for the night and best chance to win then go ahead.

But it seems as though that some people here want the Caps to completely change their lineup to adjust to a player who will play 5 minutes.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 |

typical sgm reasoning.

Trade gets made, sgm validates his GM by supporting the trade and the rhetoric behind the trade - i.e. we sat on our thumbs for a yr and waited patiently to pull the trigger for an enforcer specifically because he could (allegedly) play MORE than a few shifts per game and not be useless.

Now that King is relegated to useless status, sgm once again validates the Caps decision-making by claiming that since King can only play a few mins per game, why accomodate that?

You're so full of BS you got it comin out your typing hands.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Hendricks often plays 4th line LW, DJK play 4th line LW. That would mean they are competing for the same spot.

@cstanton1 @vermontcaps

I love the reasoning, "since others are doing we should do it". Since others are out there committing crimes we should do it. Since others are out there trying to severely injure and ruin someone's life during a game, the Caps players should do it also.

It's a game. Ruining people's lives while breaking the rules should never be commended. Get some perspective in your life.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

I don't think we watched the same lead in to the fight. Pyatt was locked up with Cooke, Eng came in from behind & grabbed him with arm around throat, P lets go of Cooke, E has one glove off and punches him in the head a couple of times with the gloved hand & then the rest of the gloves come off.

How did you see it?

And yes, watched lots of hockey back in the day. Live on the tv, not on the vcr..

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

btw SGM, what you fail to realize is that there are enforcers with similar capabilities as a DJK who DO get more than a few mins per game. You know what the difference is? They don't play for the Caps.

So instead of dumping on DJ as being a player who doesn't deserve ice time, dump on your beloved coach and GM for failing to understand how to utilize a player like King. Of course, they were the ones who initially figured he was valuable enough to trade for, correct?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

-----------------------

Hendricks could play on the 3rd line too. Don't pretend he's only capable of handling the 4th line LW. He can play LW or center on the 3rd or 4th lines. He gets put in all types of different situations on the ice when Bruce thinks he needs some more of Hendricks' lunchpail attitude when his top liners are underperforming.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@stevo

Its a scrum pal. Things happen in scrums. There's no "code" that says you let a teammate get grabbed by somoene else and do nothing about it. Pyatt v Cooke is a total mismatch anyway. Engelland v Pyatt is a lot closer. When guys like Engelland and Asham come in to help out Cooke, it lets him keep playing his on the edge/over the edge style without repercussion. That's a GOOD thing. Matt Cooke would be half the player he is today if he wasn't comfortable on the ice stirring the pot and laying out heavy hits. If he got pummeled every time he hit someone (legally or illegally), it would rended him less effective.

As to hockey in the 80s and 90s, I can sit here and give you a few hundred examples of players not following this alleged "code". You got into a scrum, you were liable to get pulled out of it and pummeled. No warning, no weight classes, no code.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I like Hendricks but he is not a 3rd line C. If he is the Caps full-time 3rd line center the Caps are in trouble.

Orr averages 5 minutes/game, Boogard averages 4:30/game, DJK averages 6 minutes/game. DJK actually see the ice much more than other similar players when he isn't scratched.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Do those of you clamoring for more DJ King really like DJ King or simply the idea of a DJ King (i.e. an enforcer) ? I'm all for a guy who can fight AND contribute in other ways -- I just haven't seen evidence that this guy is very good at either.

Posted by: MadCap1 | December 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

It's not the 80's or 90's anymore, so there's no need for you dredge up examples.

We're looking at this differently, pointless to go round and round.

As a tangent, I'd like to see what Hendricks could do as 1RW for a couple of shifts. Think he'd be reluctant to drive the post?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

My relatives in Chicago don't understand what's going on with BB and King. They saw plenty of King, and feel the guy can play.
I have to admit he's looked terrible here.
King pounded Orr in the juniors.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

----------------------------

so you want players to follow a new "code" that is unofficial in every aspect? The 90s were only a decade away. Would it make you feel any better if I found examples of this in the past few yrs?

point being Steve, this kinda stuff has always been a part of hockey, past AND present. Just because it happens a little less and the Caps themselves don't engage in it, doesn't invalidate its existence in the game.

re: Hendricks, I think he can play anywhere and do anything because that's his mentality. And its given Bradley's game a little boost as well.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

---------------------

you really like to overstate things.

The road to the Cup can be littered with dirty plays. You don't think Pitts, Ana, even Det threw some elbows, boarded a few players along the way? Naivete has a new name - sgm3.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

cstanton, I hear you, but am not going to debate you. I saw what Eng did as bush league, you disagree. That's it in a nutshell.

I don't give enough of a crap to try to change your mind, and honestly am not interested in seeing examples of fights from the last three years that you can use to try to make your case.

Time to move on?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

When can the softest team in the league afford to continually scratch a guy who has proven to be a monster.

Jersey has a "nut case" who was involved with Jansen in one of the nastiest fights I've seen in 5 years. Leblond went after a rookie Euro on our team. Can we keep DJK out with Leblond sitting on the Devils bench?

I guess we have to. He's "injured"
(Of course King is not looking great. He gets no ice time, and can't talk about injuries because of his role)

Good luck Hendricks and Erskine if Leblond decides to get ticked off.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

--------------

i'm an old school purist. And a lot of stuff that gets qualified as bush league isn't really that bush league. Because it occurs a lot more frequently than people are either aware of or are willing to admit. Engelland will take on anyone in this league, he's not a spot picker. His reputation speaks for itself. Wendel Clark, Rick Tocchet, Dale, etc did a ton of bush league stuff that was way worse than just grabbing a guy out of a pile who was harassing a teammate. Scott Niedermayer, Mark Messier, and a lot of "stars" have also done a lot of worse stuff than that. The Engelland fight was a "nothing' moment in my book.

But yes, I've stated my piece and I can move on.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse