McPhee on Nylander: 'We're looking for the next generation of players'

Morning Roundup

I had the chance to catch up with Capitals General Manager George McPhee about yesterday's news that center Michael Nylander had been loaned to the Florida Panthers' AHL affiliate, the Rochester Amerks.

The ongoing search to find somewhere for Nylander, 38, to play for the remainder of his current contract after it became clear he didn't fit with the Capitals has been well documented, but this latest step may be one of the final chapters.

"Right now he doesn't have an interest in playing in Europe so this is the next best solution," McPhee said. "We have to play our younger players [in Hershey], we're looking for the next generation of players and he's past that."

McPhee confirmed that the Capitals will still be responsible for the bulk of Nylander's $3 million salary this season, while the Panthers will pay a nominal fee.

Despite the divide between the Capitals and Nylander that has resulted in the veteran center's second AHL assignment to a team outside the Washington organization, McPhee would not call the decision to sign him to a four-year contract in the summer of 2007 a mistake.

"It just didn't work out. When he hurt his shoulder, we had other players that were better and sort of took that spot and he wasn't playing as well as he could when he came back," McPhee said. "We don't think the contract was a mistake. He was a good player but the injury set him back and he hasn't been the same since. Hopefully he finds his game this year."

FROM THE POST
Olie Kolzig says he still roots for Washington, and "I'm a Cap through and through."

More notes and quotes from the Capitals' latest preseason victory.

AROUND THE WEB
Matt Hendricks further endeared himself to Caps fans last night by dropping the gloves. (Japers' Rink)

Alex Ovechkin gained a pound. Yep, just one. (Alex Ovetjkin)

By Katie Carrera  | September 30, 2010; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  Michael Nylander, Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals 4, Bruins 1
Next: Video: Alex Ovechkin commercial outtakes

Comments

Hmmm, an interesting way to spin the Nylander situation GMGM!

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Nobody skated in endless circles better than Nylander! :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | September 30, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The Bears home opener on Oct 16th is against Rochester. Sooo excited that I'll get to see Nylander. Not!

Posted by: tess2201 | September 30, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"the Panthers will pay a nominal fee..."

That would be the proverbial "bag-o-pucks."

Posted by: zmega | September 30, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I wish Nyles all the best. I hope he regains his playing form and gets a shot with the Panthers. I'm sorry he didn't work out here, but I'm certainly not mad at him about it.
Godspeed Nyles!

Posted by: j3rockstar | September 30, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Katie, two short quotes from GMGM that explains a lot, something your predecesor couldn't do. Good work. Thanks.

Posted by: hock1 | September 30, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"nominal fee" is free McDonalds when the caps come to florida

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 30, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

blackjack65 -
"Nobody skated in endless circles better than Nylander! :D"

There was something about those endless circles that hypnotized GMGM into signing a contract that is GMGM's second worst, surpassed only by the Jagr deal.

Posted by: beeman | September 30, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Really can't pin the Jagr contract on GMGM, that was almost completely Ted. Thank god he learned his lesson about sticking his nose into player signings. I'm no GMGM fan but Jagr is not on him.

Posted by: PhilR | September 30, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This this Nylander move help our cap situation in any way? How much will we save when he comes off the books at the end of this season?

Posted by: dsphvywght | September 30, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

in 2007,ovie is the main reason why hockey got my attention. since then, i've learned a lot about hockey and all those incredible players and how i loved watching this sport. i hope ovie knows how he really contributed to make this sport an exciting sport. i hope he does not take this for granted by not practicing, not making himself strong and fit. i noticed a little bit of change on how he plays since last year. he seems to be falling and sleeping often and did not produce a score on his first appearance for the 2010 preseason game. i hope he takes his job seriously, because i heard that he always go out and drink during the offseason , instead of making himself better. anyway, good luck to the neww season and hope that they make it this time. go caps!

Posted by: capsfan2007 | September 30, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@dsphvywght

Doesnt affect the cap at all. Just Ted's bottom line. He does however fill a contract spot (I believe) of one of our alloted x amount of contracts (Big boys and minors). Ideally, we'd like to see him off the books to clear up that contract spot and help Ted's $ so he will install a couple extra rat traps.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan2007

I think most of this Ovie is lazy and not committed talk is BS. There is definitely an anti-russian bias in the league and Russian culture is VERY different from that in N-America. Ovie could not be where he is unless he worked hard...and Vodka has 0 calories anyway :)

In reality OV does not practice as much as SOME of the others b/c his body needs rest and healing time..he is our most physical presence out there and he has had very few injuries so far, so whatever he is doing seems to be working well for him. Most days he skips optional practices, he is still at Kettler...just not on the ice.

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

CF2007, I have had similar concerns about Ovi's conditioning beginning last year. It was reported he was really out of breath at training camp compared to Carlson after the same drill. He looks to be carrying a few extra, unnecessary pounds and he seems to have lost a step. I question whether the Caps provide the degree of nutritionist support that teams in other major pro sports offer. There was a recent article about Tampa moving in the direction of nutritional support/guidance and the good results they were seeing. Can you imagine what Ovi could achieve with a strong nutritional base and a dedicated off-season conditioning program?

Posted by: zmega | September 30, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

wasn't Carlson at rookie camp? That would have given him a lot more time to get into "ice" shape. Ovie is a partier and only time will change that (hopefully)

Like I said before though...if conditioning were really an issue for him, I think he would have been injured A LOT more in the past.

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | September 30, 2010 12:03 PM

Yet another hart trophy?

Posted by: Fro_2 | September 30, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to compare Ovi to Fat Albert H. All I am saying is look at the increase in his weight, look at a photo of him with his shirt off, watch his burst of speed compared to other players and compared to a few years ago, and consider his well-documented eating/drinking habits. I think with an elite conditioning/nutritional program he would put up Gretzky-in-his-prime numbers, or as close to that as is possible in the current NHL.

Posted by: zmega | September 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

How about we see how Ovie plays this season before making rash judgements about his off season life, training, conditioning, heart, work ethic, etc.

Man, people love to nitpick on here. Go ahead a judge a guy who puts on a little pudge, god forbid someone uses the off season to rest the body. Playoffs are months away, he will burn enough calories to work off any off season pudge.

Also, as for pudge being a bad thing...say that to Roy "Big Country" Nelson. Then watch him KO the "fit" guy.

Really...probably our hardest working guy on the ice in games, people want to knock him down still. Pretty soon it will be "Hmm I'm a little worried, Ovie only gave 115% tonight instead of his normal 125%...wonder if we can trade him for someone more consistent." - vomit

Btw maybe Ovie was breathing harder because he was trying harder. Maybe John was only giving it half speed. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Caps Insider, any chance we can clean up the site and remove all the reminders of the end of last season?

Posted by: hockeydad | September 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ovie does not do what he does in the offseason because of the Caps lack of nutrisionist support.(to which none of us know what extent of support the Caps provide).

As a fan I would like it if Ovie trained as hard as he could everyday to be a better player.

But as a person, I realize he is 25 and enjoying life. I'm sure he put some time in to train, but he has other interests outside of his job, just like anyone else. If that's what he wants to do, and he goes about it without breaking any laws or harming anyone else, then he should enjoy himself.

He continues to be a great hockey player and I continue to enjoy watching him play. Who are we to say how he should spend every minute of his time?

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Different vehicles take different fuels. How do we know carrots and V8 wont cause his engine to break down. :)

In mother russia...V8 = shots of vodka.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

From Peerless Prognosticator

In the end-of-session bag skate John Carlson and Alex Ovechkin were in the same group. They were eyeing one another a few times to see who was ahead. More often than not, it was Carlson, who seems to be a machine in these things.

So Carlson came in first and Ovi was second. If Ovi is a fat slob and managed to come in second, I'm worried about the conditioning of the other guys in the group.

Posted by: ablake70 | September 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Souray on waivers. Someone will pick him up at half price.

Posted by: jakopz | September 30, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Nylander was acquired before Boudreau arrived and changed the scheme. So, you can hardly blame McPhee or Nylander for the current situation, it's really no one's fault.

At the time he was signed Nylander had just come off a 26 goal, 57 assist season for 83 points.

Those are the same point totals Alex Semin put up last year for Washington at $6M.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | September 30, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

jakopz,

has he been recalled from waivers?

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Eakin sent to his Junior team, Holtby and Nycholat back to Hershey.

Posted by: ThePat | September 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Souray on waivers. Someone will pick him up at half price.

Posted by: jakopz | September 30, 2010 12:54 PM

souray would have to go through re-entry waivers (be called back up to the big club) before the half price kicks in. if he is claimed now - the claiming team takes on the full remainder of his contract.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I can tell some of you have never been athletes. It is a myth that athletes train hard everyday. No one is lifting 300lbs, running marathons, or doing bag skates 365 days per year. The human body and mind need time to rebuild from the stress in order to stay in top form and more stress = more rest. A guy that trains hard everyday or "leaves it all on the ice " for 82 games in not an elite athlete. Ovi is at the top of the league. He knows what he's doing.

Posted by: ablake70 | September 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Souray is probably on waivers because it has been 30 days since he was last passed through. I think that's the way the rule works, and least that's how the caps did it with Nylander last year.

If he clears waivers and Edm tries to recall him, THAT would be news. Since Edm has no cap issue, I expect that they will eventually do this as saving half the salary is better than paying all of the salary.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 30, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Did you even bother to read what I said after that? When you quote, you do not bother to take the words following a sentence that adds context to the previous sentence.

Let me do to your post what you do to mine and others:

"No one is lifting 300lbs"

Wrong! Many athletes lift 300 lbs, as do I.

"It is a myth that athletes train hard"

Wrong! Many athletes do train hard.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Souray on waivers. Someone will pick him up at half price.

Posted by: jakopz
----

Agreed!

Question: If he's claimed by a team, is Edmonton on the hook for half his salary NEXT season as well? Is yes, then he's claimed easy, and I could see the caps putting a claim in on him too, but they won't get him.

If no, he's not worth the 5.4 next year.

Plus they'd have to make a move to trade one of Erskine/Sloan or send one through waivers to Hershey. Sloan might not make it. Erskine probably would.

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Wait! Is that re-entry waivers or normal (full salary) waivers?

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't sweat his conditioning too much this early. By the time opening night rolls around he should be at full speed as per usual.

And as for the comparison to Carlson, as someone else astutely noted, Carlson had the advantage/head start of rookie camp.

I do however think Ovi, as well as any professional athlete, should be very careful about their diet. Not just concerning weight, but even more so in regards to energy and recovery.

Posted by: Hordedog | September 30, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Posted by: ablake70 | September 30, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Just walk away bro, just walk away.

Bliss (aka sgm3) is never wrong. The best thing to do is distract him, by making him go and research some stats/facts (which he does very well actually).

"Ovechkin weighs in at one pound over his weight from last season. He went from 233 to 234."

This whole 1 lb difference is a bit upsetting. Perhaps we can get Ovie enrolled in a celebrity version of "The Biggest Loser" instead of the whole "HBO: Hard Knocks" thing. Possible new nicknames as a result:

Alex OvecHAM
Alex Obesekin
Alexander the Weight

Get a grip folks. Season starts soon...simma down nah.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

dead horse is alive and well

Posted by: billd2 | September 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"First, did YOU bother to read what I wrote? I said no one lifts 300lbs or trains hard 365 DAYS PER YEAR! If you claim to do that, I call b*llsh*t. Second, my argument was that no one on this team can train like that 365 days per year because it's not humanly possible. As a blog "athlete", you should know that!"

You really are not very bright.

I was using that as an example of what you did. Chopping up a post by only taking partial quotes and using them out of context. You did this earlier to my post and have done it to many others as well.

I knew what your argument was, but by doing to your post what you did to mine and others, I only quoted a few words to portray it in fashion that was never intended by you.

Again, this is exactly what you did to my post earlier.

The fact that you got upset by it shows that you believe it is wrong to do, even though you did it to my post a few minutes earlier. Since you clearly find this sort of action wrong, you should try your best not to practice it again.

@SAOTI

This has nothing to do with being right or wrong, it has to do with misquoting posts and portraying them in a fashion never intended. It isn't too difficult to figure out. Keep on trying though, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

Is this like watching 73 AHL games even though you hadn't seen any?

Posted by: ablake70 | September 30, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Again, you are not very bright are you. Look at my previous post:

"Let me do to your post what you do to mine and others:

"No one is lifting 300lbs"

Wrong! Many athletes lift 300 lbs, as do I.

"It is a myth that athletes train hard"

Wrong! Many athletes do train hard."

Do you see the first sentence? Do you know what effect that sentence has on the ones following it? It clearly states I was doing to you post what you did to mine, even you should be able to see that.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

Dude, you came on the blog and tried to misrepresent yourself, AGAIN. What I quoted from your post did not take away from the overall meaning: As a fan, you wish Ovi would train hard everyday, but understand lifestyle and obligations get in the way. I'm saying that it is physically impossible for any athlete, not even an older guy with no obligations, to train hard everyday. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. Should I draw you a picture?

Posted by: ablake70 | September 30, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I said train hard every day. Which is a broad term describing activities done by the athlete that are dedicated to having him being in the best shape he could possibly be in. Be that lifting weights, running, eating well, sleeping in the right venue, avoiding things like alcohol, tobacco, being in smog filled cities, you name it. Training does not mean just lifiting weights.

But you will see athletes, when training in the offseason, workout every day. The days they do not lift will be more dedicated to aerobic exercise, days in which they do not run will be dedicated to anaerobic activity, with some days dedicated to both. Some lifting days might be dedicated heavy weight and lesser reps, other days might be dedicated to lighter weight but more reps. Some days may be dedicated to just legs, other days possibly chest and triceps, or back and biceps, or shoulders. Whatever that athlete's workout rotation is. Runnning will be rotated also. Some days may be dedicated to endurance runs, others to short sprints and quickness.

Yes, there will be a few light days in which the training is not intense, but to think the human body cannot train some amount daily during the offseason is laughable.

It is said in a sarcastic tone because no one is going to spend every moment of their life dedicated to being in the best shape possible because they have other interests in their life.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

I don't know what sports you've played, but in my experience train hard = physical exertion. The NHL schedule alone is brutal. Add in the Olympics and World Championships and I'd say Ovi earned those shots and that borscht. Do you honestly think that the other guys on this or any other team didn't do the same thing? Of course he did some maintenance exercises over the summer and maybe tried to build up some strength he otherwise couldn't do during the season, but as a vet he probably realizes the importance of pacing himself.

Will you do me a favor? Go over to one of your coworkers and tell him you don't think he's that bright. Let me know how that works out for ya!

Posted by: ablake70 | September 30, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I am not, was not, and never have criticized Ovie for his training. Others were doing that and I defended him.

I wrote that I'm sure he trained a good amount. I made the statement of "as a fan I would like for him to be training every day" just like a boss would like their worker to spend every waking second perfecting their craft, whatever ways that is done. But it isn't realistic and it is a selfish thought, because like the boss, the fan wants others to work as hard as they can for their own benefit. Because of this, and the lack of the fan or boss actually participating in that work, the expectations can become ridiculous.

It clearly is not going to happen, nor should it. I believe Ovie trains hard enough and it shows in how good he is. I didn't like the people criticizing him for not training enough.

I am very pleased with how Ovie works.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

mcphee coulda signed otis from mayberry and he still wouldn't consider it a mistake.

of all things that's still my #1 pet peeve. He never holds himself accountable for any decisions that don't work out no matter what.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 30, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse