Mike Knuble's sneaky goal

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

If there's anyone with the proper perspective to not get too discouraged by a scoring slump, it's probably Mike Knuble. He's been through most imaginable situations during his NHL career and always believed he'd snap out of the funk that saw him go 13 games between goals. It just didn't seem possible to keep getting chances without finding the back of the net eventually.

Tuesday at Madison Square Garden Knuble broke the streak of games without a goal but afterward quickly said that one didn't mean much of anything in the great scheme of a season.

Fast forward to the second period against Tampa Bay Thursday night. Knuble was skating backwards and had crossed the goal line by the time a rebound from Brooks Laich's shot popped out and when he reached out to flick the puck into the net he was almost behind the cage completely. It was his second goal in as many games.

"[Two's] better than one but I guess you want three. It was a funny goal but those are the ones that start going in," Knuble said. "You score on the funny chances instead of the bonafide great chances, score on a sneaky one. It evens out over time."

Knuble has three goals on 47 shots this season, not a great percentage right now but Coach Bruce Boudreau isn't worried. Through 16 games in 2009-10, Knuble only had three goals as well.

"He's on a 29-goal pace in my book," Boudreau said.

FROM THE POST
The game story from the Capitals' 6-3 win over Tampa Bay on Thursday and post-game blog entry.

Dan Steinberg finds out why folks on the Fox sitcom "Raising Hope" are wearing Caps t-shirts.

AROUND THE WEB
Tim Leone talks to Semyon Varlamov, who may start for Hershey Sunday, about his injury and conditioning stint with the Bears. (The Patriot News)

More on Vinny Lecavalier fracturing his right hand in the first period against the Caps Thursday from Puck Daddy and the St. Petersburg Times.

By Katie Carrera  | November 12, 2010; 8:11 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Knuble, Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Semin's second hat trick of the year propels Caps past Lightning
Next: Optional practice before Caps travel to Buffalo

Comments

Every now and then after a game like last night, those of us from the Dark Side peek out of our caves. We want to come out in the sunshine, have fun with the bikini clad natives, and yes drink and bathe ourselves in the sweet red Kool Aid. Just then, from somewhere in the crowd, someone whispers "playoffs". We cringe, moan, whimper and scamper back to our caves. We just cannot allow ourselves to believe that these Caps can play the type of games necessary to achieve victory in the "Round of 16". We once again hide in the dark, no longer enjoying the sweet Kool Aid, but instead turn back to our stills and sip the bitter concoction which allows us to keep a glimmer of hope after lo these 35 years....

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 12, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Poor dark siders! I never knew how difficult ur life was :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Lecavalier had fractured his hand, I knew he was missing after the first but completely missed the injury. Was he slashed by Alzner or what??

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Chimera is fast but when his line is on the ice if you have a vantage point like I do you realize that Chimi isn't just beating the opponent to get an icing call washed out. It is a set play. When a Capital gains full control of the puck in our zone, especially deep in our zone, below the goal line, you will see the player rip the puck up the ice and think dang it, icing again. However, if you see Chimi, he is already taking off as the player gains control and is making a bee line to the O-zone. The Caps staff is brilliantly using Chimi's speed. That is brilliant because Chimi is on the line that typically has the job of shutting down the opponents top line. What better way to alleviate pressure than to have a set "icing" play.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 12, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@fanhock

Chimi has also been able to stop a few potential breakaways for the opposition with that speed. I only wish he would work on his shot so that when he gets a breakaway he actually stands a chance to score.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Semin's early season efforts can be summed up in two words: CONTRACT YEAR!

Posted by: Bog_Reader

thats a bit short sighted don't u think? He has been getting progressively better for the past 3-4 seasons...he has gone from the kid who gets 2 offensive zone penalties a game, can't play D, and never lived up to his potential, to a 40 goal scorer who is now fighting every shift and seems to have a genuinely better attitude...the only thing that I think may be motivating him is that he doesn't want to leave DC for another NHL team, and if he becomes a major headcase again, the Caps will not want to sign him. If he continues to play like this I think we sign him 4-5yrs for 6 mil.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Well, as of today's standings the Capitals have beaten every team but one that sits in a playoff spot at least once this season. The only team in the top eight they haven't beaten is Montreal, but of course, we haven't played them yet. I know, I know, Boston beat the Caps twice, but we have beaten them once.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 12, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Thought this was an interesting tid bit...

The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

If you had what we do downstairs and got hit there just once you would completely understand why men feel that is the more important area to protect. The pain simply can not be described to one of the female species!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"first helmet was used in 1974"

This statement is not true. Hockey helmets have been worn off and on since the 1920s.

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 12, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

u may be right, but I am just gonna throw out childbirth...lemon-watermelon!

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Varly really isn't playing for Hershey. Knuble has him looking around farms in southern PA for another goat. Each one is only good for three games.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

You got me there, been there twice with my wife......if I were her after the first I would have said never again!

I do think that is bad info as MReilly said though.....I think the helmets were around but simply not worn by most players.

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, I pass a couple homes to and from work each day that have goats (presumably to keep the grass "mowed") and perhaps one could come up missing? Now, to get it in to the locker room at Kettler could be the tougher part. :)

Posted by: _Mark | November 12, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

They became mandatory in '79...maybe the quote (which was really just a funny email someone sent me) was thinking when they started to get popular.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think PETA is going to start throwing red paint on Caps players as they leave the rink if Knuble is not careful!

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Also..it really is getting ridiculous how Ovie always seems to respond when a star from another team scores! How many times has Ovie and Crosby exchanged goals...that guy is as competitive as they come.

On Semin's PP goal, Ovie was actually wide open and banging his stick trying to get Semin to pass it. And if that one shot had actually been on goal, I think Dan Ellis would have been knocked unconcious from the force.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond: Funny story there about life as a Dark Sider. Here we have the Kool Aid drinkers dancing in the sunshine, wearing their bikinis (or less!) and the men with their cups (yuk!) and here you guys remind us there are dark clouds far in the distance. Could it be Hurricane Tomas? "Sure, he could be here now," you say, "because he's never here for the Playoffs."

As a confirned Fence Sitter let me say that, for now, it's party hardy with the Kool Aiders. Besides, who wants to be in a cave when the gals are dancing in bikinis (or less!)?

Save a spot for me, kcbrichmond, there in the cave, a spot between you and PhilR. I'll stop by as soon as it starts raining. I might even put on a robe if it gets cold enough.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

GOATS DONNING DISGUISES TO ESCAPE CAPTURE

Hershey, PA (AP) Nov 12, 2010

With Washington Capitals goat tender Semyon Varlamov on the loose, looking for a fresh goat in southern Pennsylvania, goats have taken to wearing sheep, pig and even coyote costumes in a bid to elude capture.

"It's a terrrrrrible shame," said one senior goat official, who would only speak on a condition of anonymity. "We can't even walk safely on the strrrrrrrets."

Meanwhile, Mike Knuble can only wait.

"Each goat is only good for three games," he said. "We've got the Sabres Saturday night and then an early game back home on Sunday. "I sure hope varly can come through for me."

Also, in a related story, there was no word if Lindy Rupp would be sacrificing a buffalo to get his team out of its slump.

"Everything's on the table," Rupp said. "We need a win. And my guys will do what it takes."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Semin was in a contract year last year, right? He took a one year extension.

#28 has been unbelieveable this season. His stick/hand skills are amazing, his backchecking and defense have been great, and he's killing.

Mark it: he'll score 50 this year and have 100 points. A shot at the Richard. A focused talent and he's nearly unstoppable.

Posted by: saintex | November 12, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think Buffalo are an endangered species...gotta be careful with that stuff!

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I just received an email from the Caps that the Winter Classic tickets have shipped. Things will be getting interesting again between the Caps and Pens soon.

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 12, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey Katie!

How bout putting up a poll:

Vote now if you are:

Kool-Aid drinker
Fence Sitter
Dark Sider

My guess, 60% Kool Aid, 30% still on fence and 10% Dark Siders. The DSers post a lot but I think the quiet majority out there have their canteens filled with KA rather than goat's blood.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that be complained about from last evenings game is the amount of rubber that Neuvy had to handle. He made some terrific saves and the crossbar and posts were his best friends! I think the trap type game Tampa was playing still gives the Caps fits at times but BB SEEMS to have made some adjustments to counter that style of play. I still do not think that Tampa has the talent that a lot of these other playoff teams have though so when they can consistently beat the trap against Boston, Montreal, etc then I will feel more comfortable but it is nice to see the team adjusting.

Now back to my cave, I caught a goat disguised in a chicken costume so we are all set for the ceremony dark siders! Silly goat, an 80 pound chicken walking around on four legs was a dead give-away!

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Tom, a 4th option?

Kool-Aid drinker
Fence Sitter
Dark Sider
Goat Lender

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 12, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Last time I checked Semin had 40 goals last year. He was on special teams. he takes offensive penalities because he is so very aggressive on the forecheck. I still can not figure out Semins' critics. He has some bad moments. he also can be flaky. Who on this board is perfect at their job all the time. Meanhwile most of these guys are in their early to mid 20's.

Posted by: pkme | November 12, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR.

did I just see you give BB some credit!!

TB had a lot of shots on goal last night, but a bunch were not high quality. I am actually kind of glad Nuevy saw some rubber...he was starting to struggle...I think due to lack of flow. He got back into a rhythem by the end of the 2nd period last night.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@BiCuriousSid:

You seem oddly quiet today.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 12, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Yes capscoach, mark this day down because it doesn't happen very often......but like I said, when they can consistently do that against the more talented teams I will be much more at ease.

35 years of misery and having your heart ripped out of your chest on a yearly basis does not die easily.

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

yes I have only suffered about 12 yrs...and only 6 as an adult!

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

I'll come out and say it. The Caps won a game they shouldn't have won last night, mostly by luck. It could easily have been a 3-0 Tampa lead after the first period. The Caps started the first five minutes of the game well and then completely tailed off. The Lightning hit a couple of posts and misfired on a couple of other opportunities. Tampa also had two powerplays in the first period on stupid penalties by the Caps (roughing by Knuble in the offensive zone and Carlson's delay of game penalty). Luckily Tampa didn't convert on either opportunity. In the second period, I forget who the Tampa player was but he was in the slot with an open net and Schultz saved a goal by somehow tying him up.

The way Tampa played and the result they got reminded me of a couple of Caps games from the last few seasons where the Caps would completely dominate in the first period, doing everything right except they'd have nothing to show on the scoreboard for all of their effort, and they'd be burned out for the rest of the game and end up losing.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I've been saying it forever and posting it all summer...Semin is pimp. And losing him would be a devastating blow to this team. GMGM will come through and lock him up. And I love the fact the both sides have shown mutual interest in working a long term deal. If both sides come in understanding, the deal should benefit both and be handled quickly.

As someone else mentioned, it will be scary to see the SOB line when all 3 weapons are firing on all cylinders. 10pts one night, 12 another....and Ovie and Backs still havent hit their high points yet. Hmm, perhaps a 20pt night for those 3 is in the tea leaves.

And again...give it up for my boy SEMIN.

Skeet skeet skeet.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

while it was not the best game we ever played, I don't think TB deserved that win. Sure they hit a crossbar and a post, but we had a few misfires as well...we also only had one PP when there were two obvious calls the refs missed...one of which led to the Stamkos goal!

Nuevy saw a lot of rubber...but he did SEE it! There were a lot of low quality shots. We def. figured out how to beat TBs D in the 2nd period.

It is easy to notice all the mistakes ur own team makes in a game, but harder to notice all the mistakes TB made...and they made a handful.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

IMO the Caps weren't "lucky" to kill the penalties in the 1st. They did a great job on the PK. Sure the Lightning hit the post and the crossbar. Maybe they can be counted as almost goals (AGs). Someone already mentioned that the Caps forced Tampa into a lot of low quality shots, and I agree. That argument works against the Caps when they outshoot their opponent and lose. Neuvy didn't make his day any easier though. His rebound control was horrible. The 1st goal was a controlable rebound that bounced off of the Tampa player crashing the net, landed nicely on the ice and he slammed it home. The PP goal was a failed attempt at a catch that was left right next to the net and slammed home. Neuvy did play good, but shots have been reduced if he could regain the pincusion form he had at the beginning of the year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 12, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The St. Petersburg article about last night's game is interesting. The writer's take was that the Lightning generally outplayed the Caps. I know the Lightning had more shots on goal, but come on... God bless the hockey fans in Florida and send them some more knowledgeable hockey writers.

The other article states that Vinny says he broke the bone in a previous game but the break just "popped' when he twisted his wrist while trying to play the puck last night. Bad things seem to happen to Vinny when he plays the Caps, though this time the harm was apparently self-inflicted.

Posted by: zmega | November 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night and Semin is simply the Caps MVP at this point in the season. In addition to the big goals and assists on two others, his play on the PK has been excellent. I counted 2-3 quality offensive chances generated by steals or poke checks by Semin during the PK. He's done this consistently throughout the season. In addition to being tougher on the forecheck this season, Semin has shown he's more willing to go the slot to get better quality chances and his willingness to pass has improved.

Not that Ovie won't be in the running for MVP by the end of the season, but the Caps sorely need a strong No. 2 scorer of Semin's calibre to win the cup. As much as I like Backstrom's all-around play, he is not the guy to score 40-50 goals and take the pressure off of Ovie. The Caps should be thinking of locking him up long-term. Considering his close relationship with Ovie, he might be receptive to a bit of a hometown discount for an extension during the season.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 12, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Skeet skeet skeet.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 10:35 AM

dats juss nasty...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

My point is the Caps came out flat and got dominated in the first period. Tampa controlled play for most of the period as the Caps struggled to clear the defensive zone or establish any sustained offense. Neuvy was shaky. The Caps took two unnecessary penalties as Knuble punched a guy in the face in the offensive zone, and Carlson lofts the puck out of play from across the ice. Just sloppy play from the Caps all around. I'm not saying that the PK didn't do a good job when called upon (other than not putting a body on Malone in the 3rd). However, with the overall number of opportunities Tampa had, the Caps were lucky to only be down 1-0 after one.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 12, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

fanohock: Last night I posted the same thing you said, that Neuvy rebound control was awful. He simply gave Tampa two goals. Tampa swarmed a number of times but came up short, and fortunately the Big Red Machine got things going.

Earlier in the season, when our offense was struggling, Neuvy was devouring rebounds like a starving wolf. Now he's putting them on a silver platter for opposing forwards.

Semin = 5 yrs/$33M. I wonder if CBA provision forbids them from talking numbers or just from signing the deal.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

but is sloppy play in the first anything new? JK.

We definitely took a period to figure out how to break through the nuetral zone, but we did. I just don't think TB played all that well either. And that Stamkos goal was so unfair that it washes out the crossbar miss they had in the 1st.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I think 5 years is the max deal anyone should give Semin...he is playing ubelievable right now! but he can be inconsistent and I think 3-5yrs serves both him and the team.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

tominsocal: Well sir, I concur with your assessment of Neuvy.

SAOTI: Were you at the game last night? I have season tickets in Sec 430 and I swear I heard someone yelling skeet skeet skeet.

@cainoo7x: Carlson's penalty was nothing more than an excited 20 year blowing a play. He was bringing the puck up ice and noticed that an indirect pass to Ovi would send him in the zone alone because Tampa was in a line change and left Ovi alone. He saw it and ripped it well, too darn high. It wasn't even a panic move because there really wasn't even pressure on him. During the two 1st period PKs the Caps limited the Lightning's scoring chances so all in all the period IMO wasn't all that bad. Maybe it looked different on TV.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 12, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

but is sloppy play in the first anything new? JK.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I think Tampa played a very good first period and unfortunately for them, didn't have much to show for it on the score sheet. After the sprint out of the gate, they seemed to run out of gas at the same time the Caps were getting up to speed.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 12, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

One other item for the hockey mavens out there: Are the Caps much better at poke checking in their own zone this year? Have they worked on it and made it a more normal tactic? I'm seeing it all over the ice but getting the puck disturbed all the time is working well.

Posted by: saintex | November 12, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@all: Yeah, Neuvy's rebound control did leave something to be desired, but...38 saves doesn't suck.

I was saying all day Wed & Thurs that the key to victory was bottling up Stamkos--which the Caps did quite well until he finally got loose late in the 3rd.

Welcome back Poti! That late activation that led to his goal in the 2nd was...Lidstromoid? Kronvallian?...And on the backhand, no less!

@Tominsocal1: U R A Comic genius!

BTW, SAOTI: I generally like your sense of humor. But just out of curiosity I checked the Urban Dictionary for a term with which I was unfamiliar...I won't repeat it here, but I think you know what term I'm talking about. All I have to say is:

Düüüüde! That was Just. Plain. Gross. Funny, but GROSS!!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Yep that was me. I sit like 2-3 rows behind you (although I am not sure who you are, I just remember you posting one day your section and row.. H or I. Thats my normal cheer for a Semin goal. I also love to yell (and Im sure you have heard this one as well) "HIT EM IN THE FACE". I just find it really funny and it makes my season ticket neighbors laugh. Oh, and a buddy of mine sits down in your area and I heckle him often by shouting his last name.

So now you have the age old question answered...Who is that annoying guy who keeps yelling? It's me. :)

Oh and is it just coincidence that our offense sparked up after the first when the SOB line was reunited. Nope, they are that good. Keep em together BB...no more than 1 period apart please. K thanks.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I predicted the Caps would come out flat, and they did. True, Neuvy's rebound control was shaky. Those PK's were excellent; no luck involved. Carlson had a mere flub; I don't know what was going through Knuble's head on his infraction. Those of us sitting behind goal were entirely mystified by it.

I wouldn't say TB deserved to win this game in the least. I would say, however, that this was not necessarily a game that (in the blog colloquial) the Caps "won right."

There are two exceptions to this: 1) In the second, the Caps had solved TB's excellent job of stuffing the neutral zone and owning the defensive crease in the first; and 2) the Caps seemed to be outhitting the bolts real good, especially as the game went on.

All in all, I expected the possibility of a let down game after 3 particularly emotional wins, but the Caps pulled it together and deserved to win that game.

Posted by: Justafan | November 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Can one of you cap gurus tell me what we need to do to keep Semin?

Trades? Releases? Ect.

Looks like he'll command at least 7.5 mil a year. I honestly don't think he wants to play anywhere else.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | November 12, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I guess Knuble found his goat.

Poor little Billy!

Posted by: FergusonFoont | November 12, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan
I think we will be good in the re-sign Semin efforts. As our resident prophet nostrathomas (who has a knack for salaries/raises/contract terms) has predicted...Semin signed 5 years $33 mil, hometown discount due.

BTW, ChimChim is freaking lightning fast. The guy leaves me in awe each time I see him bolt across the ice the way he does. It does suck he has hands of stone though, perhaps we can buy him some super padded gloves to give him softer hands?

@Rhino
I apologize for my crudeness. Although from what I hear, he gets it a lot worse in the locker room by the other guys. And the t-shirt guys around here for playoffs had some good ones as well involving Brooks and Sasha :P

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan

we will NEVER be able to keep him at even 7 mil! If he takes a home town cut to say 6-6.5 we might be able to...but I doubt we keep Laich, def. lose Flash (no biggie I know)we would have to use MaJo for 2nd line center, and at least one Hershey would have to be a permanent Cap. U have to factor in Green's contract next season...we need him more than Semin.

Is it possible that they sign Semin AND extend Green this season instead of waiting until he is in a contract year... that might make it a bit easier.

If we manage to book Ovie, Semin, Backs, and Green...we will be pretty set for a while. We will of course have growth years as we are forced to develop our minor players, but it won't take long...We will not have to go more than 1-2 seasons without being a contender for the forseeable future.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and tom, after we scored our 2nd goal last night. I started chanting "We want wings!" My friend and a couple people around me were like, dude we need 5 goals for wings. I said, I got a good feeling about this and I stand by my statement WE WANT WINGS. I got a couple pats on my back after goal 5 and couple "well dones", one guy dubbed me a prophet...

The Caps scored
The fans rejoice
The people eat for free
So it was predicted
So it happened

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I was a Semin naysayer....I thought he only played when he wanted to and I was pro-trading him.
I would publicly like to eat my words today. Semin is an essential part of this team and I hope he is willing to take a hometown discount to remain a Capital for years to come.

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 12, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

This is absolutely the worst 12-4 team in the history of the NHL.

Posted by: pebowers | November 12, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

All this Semin love brings a tear to my eye.

...sniffle...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: I know exactly who you are. Your Hit 'em in the face is classic. I'll snag you on your way up or down next game and introduce myself. When you come up the steps you are looking straight at one of my seats. My son usually sits there because he can let his feet hang in the drop-off. I was the one that yelled YOU SUCK to the guy with the buzz cut who picks Caps to Bit!& about the entire game. He's been all over Ovi the last few games, the preseason he was all over Semin, and last year he was all over Green. He's the geek who hated Kozlov and someone taped a Kozlov name tag to the back of his jacket every game. I swear he didn't realize it for about 10 games. I'll be there for the next few and then head outta town for a couple weeks in December.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Easiest way to get a goat into Kettler ir through parking garage and a quick phone call to Slapshot to run interference but he will have to be careful PhilR is not around.

On the lighter side, last night during second period while Ellis appeared to have a whole in his gloves I swear I saw him turn when someone shouted, "Hey Ellis, Stevie Y is on the phone right now looking for a goat leander"

Posted by: bqts | November 12, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI = Accepted.

Wish I could afford to join you guys at a game.

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 12, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

All this Semin love brings a tear to my eye.

...sniffle...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 12, 2010 12:23 PM

Dont worry bro, once Fehr gets his 2nd line minutes, he will get his due as too. Then the other eye can tear up.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

fanohock,

What is that guys deal with Russian players? He was all over Semin the night you gave us your seats......

SAOTI,

Free wings are a beautiful thing! I had free shrimp and fries at Applebee's yesterday for lunch. Man, they said free meals for vets and folks showed up in groves!! We had to wait a half hour to be seated but it was cool chatting with a bunch of WWII and Korea vets, those guys can tell some great stories!

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

pebowers: How do you figure? The Caps have 3 of the top 10 scorers in the league. Two of those 3 are in the top 5. They have the guy with the 2nd best +/- in the league. They have the 7th ranked PP and 12 ranked PK. They are tied for the leagues best +18 in goal differential. They are 1st in total goals for and 12 in total goals against. They have done this with having to have Sloan, Fahey, and Erskine for a few games.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry, but could the NHL take a new pic of Nuevy...his pic on NHL.com is just sad...he has this look on his face like he has an IQ of 65 and has never seen a camera! don't they take a couple of shots so they can chose a decent one....seriously people...check it out on nhl.com and his pic is there for most wins under league leaders

I really do get how random and not related to hockey that comment just was.

Posted by: capscoach | November 12, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Btw, am I the only one who thought our D line up looked so much better than it has in the past couple games? Seeing Tyler Sloan as one of "Tonight's Scratches" just makes me smile every time. In fact, I have decided to start a new pre-game tradition. Every game that Tyler Sloan is not in the line-up, I will eat a hot dog in honor of him.

Truth is, Ted could probably get back some of the money he is wasting on Sloan with some clever advertising around Verizon Center. I can see it now in line...

Me: Hmm, let me get a coors light draft and the Sloan please.
Aramark employee: A Sloan? Whats that?
Me: Thats the new Caps combo meal...one hot dog, an order of nachos, a seat cushion and a fold up map with a highlighted route to the press box.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 12, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't have the salary cap spreadsheet at home, but, Caps like 3.4 in space this year I think. Poti is reduced by $750K with new deal I think. Erskine say signs the same. Alzner from 1.675 to 1.0. Carlson 800 to 1.175. Flash gets replaced by Beagle who has an NHL deal next year. You know have 6.4M.

Raises: Varly. God knows how that will pan out. Let's say 800K to 1.8M. You have 5.4 left. Laich goes 2.1 to 3.75. Just say. You have 3.7 left. Semin goes from 6M to my projection 6.6. You have 3.1 left, almost the same as this year, and if BGordo replaced by AGordo you DO have the same as this year 3.4.

The longer it takes Varly to accumulate good stats, the less he gets and the more space for Laich and Semin. Semin can even get 7.5 vs my 6.6 and you still have 2.5 to upgrade Sloan to whomever or you'd have 3.75 if Erskine leaves as a replacement.

All this assumes the same cap, but who knows. The year following you have to put Green's next contract into the mix. He could get $7M so that is an extra $1.75M. We can worry about that later. For now, there's room for Semin.

(Sounds like an old TV show - "Make Room for Semin.")

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This is absolutely the worst 12-4 team in the history of the NHL.

Posted by: pebowers | November 12, 2010 12:21 PM

OK.........if it is I'll take it !!
Its better than being the best 4-12 team in the history of the NHL.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 12, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Tom re Semin contract...I read that the CBA states taht we can begin negotiating an extension after Jan. 1, has to do with a one year contract extended to a current RFA.. I looked at the CBA, but couldn't find the clause

Posted by: boomer44 | November 12, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to see what it felt like in the cave. Coming back to the light. Sarcasm was intended.(Kinda hard to be a lousy team at 12-4)

Posted by: pebowers | November 12, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

pebowers-
I don't think you used the proper sarcasm font. I had a feeling that's what you were doing though. ;)

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 12, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse