Posted at 7:51 AM ET, 02/28/2011

Monday morning must-read: How the Capitals demonstrated the art of the rebuild

By Katie Carrera
Morning Roundup

On the day of the NHL's trade deadline, The Globe and Mail decided to take a look at the unpleasant side of this day that captures the attention (and imagination) of hockey followers unlike any other time in the regular season: How unsuccessful teams sell off assets to rebuild.

The modern example of a systematic destruction of a team may be what General Manager George McPhee was able to do when he dismantled the Capitals in 2004 to gain draft picks and young prospects for the future. Now McPhee is on the other side, hoping to add pieces that could propel the Capitals forward.

From Erik Duhatschek:

Generally speaking, any team in a position to sell assets has had a disappointing season, with no playoffs in sight. Accordingly, the trade deadline becomes their de facto postseason - the last bit of meaningful rebuilding they can do until the entry draft comes along in June.
"If you're not going to make the playoffs, the challenge is still there, that we all look forward to in life, to do something well," McPhee said. "It's very competitive - and you're just as nervous and anxious about being a seller as if you're trying to buy and find that piece that makes the team better for playoffs.
"As a seller, you're hoping that the deal is there, so you can say, 'boy, this will make our organization better,' or 'it gives us a chance.' "
Now, some seven years after doing all that selling, McPhee is in the opposite situation. He is casting around for help at the deadline, looking for that one commodity that is going to push the Capitals further along the playoff path than they managed a year ago. Marco Sturm joined via the waiver wire Saturday. Other moves are pending, and even with the pre-deadline flurry that took place this past fortnight, there will still be multiple transactions on Monday. The only question is, will they be a whole lot of minor tweaks, or will the action be spiced up by a major move?
"There are times when the deals come together quickly and with time to spare and you're comfortable with them and there are times when you're half an hour from the deadline and you have nothing and something develops," McPhee said.

Check out the full story here.

--Defense remains in demand around the league as the deadline approaches.

--One player who won't be up for grabs Monday is Chris Phillips, who agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $9 million with the Senators on Sunday.

--Jason Arnott wants to see what teams might be interested in him before deciding to waive his no-trade clause and abandoning the New Jersey Devils' cause.

--More talk of what might be to come before 3 p.m. Monday from The Hockey News, ESPN and The Sporting News.

By Katie Carrera  | February 28, 2011; 7:51 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis on the trade deadline: 'I am hopeful we can add some vets'
Next: Ask the Caps: Mathieu Perreault answers your questions

Comments

First word I got is that the Caps appear to balking on the price of the big fish. I believe they have gone back to St Louis in efforts to complete the deal they had on the table back in January.

So look for Andy McDonald to be a Cap if he will waive his NTC.

It could just be the Caps bargaining with the other teams, but I expect McDonald to be a Cap and if he wont waive his NTC then I think they will try to pry Arnott.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 8:12 AM | Report abuse

FYI, Ray Ferraro and Pierre Maguire said George McPhee should be under a lot of pressure to make deals. They said the team hasn't lived up to high expectations and McPhee needs to figure it out.

It's nice to see people "in the game" saying the same thing many of us have been saying.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 8:13 AM | Report abuse

so who are the big fish

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Any news on Dustin Penner?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

interesting thePat. Nice to hear a name amid all the speculation. Not sure if MacDonald would make the difference, but let me go dredge up some info on him

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 8:18 AM | Report abuse

@Underpants

All I got was word on the C. With the Sturm move Im not sure they make a move at W unless a W is going out. That waiver pick up shocked me.

The only news on Dustin Penner is I know a team from the East over the weekend asked the Oilers what the price would be to acquire both Hemsky and Penner in a package deal. I'd think that was Montreal but who knows.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan

He's a pretty good C. But him being 33 and has two more years left at $4.7M cap hit. Had his best years in Anaheim.

I am not saying this will happen, just wouldnt be surprised at all if it does.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

If McDonald is the best we can get, I'll take it.

I do think we need to acquire a winger for line 1 as well.

Any news on Poti? If we put him on LTIR, could we afford McDonald and a winger?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

does hemsky play center or wing

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

@samb99

He's a right wing.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Thank you very much for some real information ...

... and Sasha will stay ?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 28, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@Underpants

If Poti is on LTIR than we have the ability if McDonald is in fact the guy to add a W that has a cap hit of around $3M. If him and Fehr both are than a cap hit of around $5M.

Also my guess is nothing goes down before noon. I am probably wrong, but that is just my guess as McPhee will try to keep going back and forth with some teams.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 8:30 AM | Report abuse

what would be the cost for Mcdonald

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

@FCKoehl

At this point I dont know. I'd assume since the text I got was only about a C. But I honestly have no idea.

And that is it for me for a while. Got to get stuff done, will be back in and out throughout the day.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the prospect of McDonald coming here. He's been injured quite a bit over the last few years. He makes $4.7 mil (per comments above) next year. That eats up a lot of Cap space. There are a number of pending free agents on the roster that will have to be resigned or replaced. that money could be spent better elsewhere.

There's gotta be someone better out there, right?

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 8:33 AM | Report abuse

changed my mind on being ok with not getting Boyes. A 28 year old fast as lightning center? His production has dropped, but we couldn't give up a 2nd for that? Was it St Louis saying no thanks or GMGM saying the cost was too much?

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 8:38 AM | Report abuse

capsfan0837, I think I remember someone saying the Caps don't have a second round pick next year (gave it away for Corvo?).

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 28, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Weiss's contract does make him a lot more attractive than McDonald.

What would Weiss cost the Caps? 1st 2011, 2nd 2012. What that be enough?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

What is Poti's injury? Knee?

Posted by: MattBradley10 | February 28, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I remain hopeful, but ready to be dissapointed. Too many buyers today. It's easy enough to see how things could go south.

Posted by: Justafan | February 28, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we can confuse a team with bulk like people try and do with fantasy football trades, like when you try and offer someone 5 mediocre players for their 1 great player and they are so happy about getting all these people, they don't realize what a terrible trade it is...

Shultz, MP, Chimera, Gordo to TB for Stamkos!

Posted by: MattBradley10 | February 28, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I think Poti is having groin issues.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 28, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I would have liked to pick up Brad Boyes, for only a 2nd round pick Buffalo did good.. I keep seeing the name Andy Mcdonald, I am not a fan of his at all, but like others have said.. I would take him, as he would make the team better.. I am still big on Arnott, for the simple fact he fits this system very well.. I would also like the Caps to make a play for Weiss, but according to ESPN insider the Panthers are shopping him and David Booth together, so it would be a package deal.. Anyway I look forward to seeing what happens today.. Last year GMGM could have made the trade to send the Caps over the top, he didn't... Lets hope he has the balls to do it this season..

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 28, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan

we dont have a 2nd round pick this year. Plus they'd prefer to add a C with term on the contract so they arent playing this game at next year's trade deadline as well. FA market is very porr this year.

@underpants

Weiss will currently only waive his NTC to be moved to Toronto.

@mattbradley

its a groin issue, that my guess could require surgery since it doesnt appear to be healing properly. He saw a specialist in Vancouver that has dealt with many NHL players on the same issue.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 28, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

To be honest I would not be upset if we only got a rental C. I think by next year MJ will be a better 2nd line C then any guy I have heard available (except guy like Stas and Weiss who cost way too much). In the last month MJ has been a lot better and with Eakin able to play 3C next year we are better there then this year.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Come on, the Caps can dangle the +/- leader from last year, the hulking Sarge, ahahahahahaha

Oh, I wish the Caps could find a partner to take away Schultz so Erksine is a solid 2nd/3rd pairing. I am kind of surprised the Caps did not pick up Souray off waivers and waive Sarge

I thought for sure that the Caps had a deal in place when MP was sent down to Hershey, not like placing him on waivers would free up any cap space if he was picked up

I am also surprised the Caps did not nab Zherdev who is a UFA with 15+ goals given how fragile Fehr is

I do hope the Caps can somehow land Arnott as he is a UFA and the Caps need a gritty, winning, big center for the 2nd line. If it takes a first and prospect, big deal (depending on the prospect), the Caps need success now, not later

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

god...i love deadline day. I dont have to go anywhere until 530, so i can sit here and go crazy all day wondering.

Seriously, this is one of my favorite days in sports.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Boyes would have been a terrible pickup.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Darren Dreger
Plot thickens. If you're wondering if Brad Richards is willing to waive his no move clause? Yes, but only one team.

Oh boy now we can have a Carmello situation! *shakes head*

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:15 AM | Report abuse

McDonald's offensive numbers of late aren't any better than Flash's (except for +/-).

I haven't watched him. Who has a scouting report?

Sure doesn't look like he's worth 4.7 for two more years. Last thing we need is another bad contract. Is he a true difference maker? If not, rather than take on that cap hit, I'd roll the dice with Arnott and try and fix things in the summer.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 9:15 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan0837

I agree, this is a really fun day to be a hockey fan. Just think how much better it could be if we add some pieces.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty glad JIMALLCAPS doesn't work for the caps. Talk about terrible ideas.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

We are gonna add pieces. That is for sure. Just wonder what we are getting and who goes. I hope that all the kids in juniors and Russia don't go anywhere (including Orlov). That would be stupid at this point.

I hope GMGM shows his savvy today, like what he did in 08 when he got Federov and Cooke. We need a deal like that. Leadership and scoring with some grit and attitude.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

How is Poti not already on LTIR?? He should be retroactive to last game he played, especially since he's missed more than 10 games. So cap room shouldn't be a problem for Caps today to get the pieces they see to get the ship going toward a Cup going down Constitution Ave in the early days of summer

Posted by: BBDwrestling | February 28, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Andy mcdonald is a gutsy little player. Kinda like a Dino type. He and kunitz were the 2 underrated anaheim fwds who got lost begind getzlaf and perry. But his better days are behind him. I would not give up much for him because acquiring him alone wouldnt help THAT much. We either pull all the,pieces together for a deep run or we become sellers of sorts. No sense in renting one or two decent but not great players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Robyn Regehr's name popped up again on TSN as a player that could be on the move. He's had a solid season and whether or not you like the +/- stat it is one that is used when discussing players. He is a +11 on a team that is only +8 overall, and has players on it with +/- as low as -10. Not sure what it would take to get him here but he'd be a great addition. With a Cap hit right at 4mil per year through 2013 he'd be a good one for us even beyond this season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

This day is indeed great. The question is what is the over/under on how many hours I watch Tradecenter before putting on pants? I'll start the line at 2.5 hours...

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | February 28, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

ok gfisher1, what particular ideas do you not like? So is Sturm with bum knees better than Zherdev? Is Sarge playing well this year and worth keeping or worth trading for a player with better instincts for playoff hockey? You also claim Boyes would not help the Caps without any rationale, so why do you make claims without any data or explaination? Are you a common troll or mr super know-it-all? Debate if you have the chops.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

But ftr andy mac is a respectable hockey player who gives an honest fiesty effort. He has been banged up though as the yrs have caught upto him. He was a late bloomer ala knuble.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Ottawa Sun has us talking to LA about Bernier? Why is it ever rumor about us is going after a goalie?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@SkinsFan

I am taking the over. I had to drive my daughter to preschool, otherwise, I would have been over as well.

I want Stephen Weiss.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more, Majo has been very impressive of late (offensive numbers aside). Not worried about his offensive numbers now as the pts will go up w/2c minutes.

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 28, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Souray > Sarge -- both are big, but Souray uses his size to beat on players in the crease and backs up teammates. He will fight and beat down other teams player, whereas Sarge just watches. Sarge and Souray are slow, so a wash there. Souray has a great PP shot and is an effective PP qb; Sarge's shot is laughable as is his passing ability. Souray's cap hit is minimal this year and Sarge can be sent home to Hershey and maybe some dingy gm would pick him off waivers, so the salary would be a wash. See gfisher, a logical argument, where's yours?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Lets GO Caps- make trades!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 28, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@ SkinsFaninNYC

Haha! I will be in my robe until well after 12noon. Got homework to do before I meet a prospective client at 530 pm. I will be wearing pants then, but not now.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@JIM

I am with you on Sarge. The problem is he has 3 years left. Waiving him is unrealistic, however, he can be traded.

IMO, Souray is finished. He is tough, but he is way too long in the tooth.
From what I hear, no one likes the way he is playing in the AHL. I just don't think he helps us.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS2, Souray > Sarge is a false statement. There is a reason why no team in the NHL wanted him even at half price. He is now actually slower then Sarge and unlike Sarge doesn't even have a big body to block shots. He is too slow to catch anyone to hit them and the last fight he had he was out for something like a month. Souray two years ago > Sarge but today he is not.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

@lyle, can we change that to "make smart trades?" Don't want to end up worse today.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough, underpants2, he was elite and not that old (34). 3 g's and 12 a's, +7, 53 pims in 30 games, plus he is assistant captain. Yeah, it's the AHL, so the numbers are inflated by NHL standards. I still think he has a lot more to offer than Sarge and he must be hungry to prove he is NHL calibre blueliner. Half his cap and pay goes to Edmonton, and if Poti/Sarge are moved/bought out, he is affordable next year, yep, not a great contract based on his gaudy numbers in MTL, but not horrible

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@ Ice, not a big body at 6'4" 233, he may have slowed down, but not a big body? Sarge may be big, but all he uses is his reach, no grit, so few hits, so little punishment metted out

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Man, that Poti extension is beyond awful.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Concerning the chatter surrounding the Oilers here (Penner/Hemsky), what do folks think if we could pry one of them along with Smid?

If we'd be willing to go go Semin/****55 for Stastny/Liles, I wouldn't cry over the same for Penner/Smid.....

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 28, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

icehammer: You really think eakin will be an NHL ready C to start next year? I expect some Hershey time.

BBD: You don't get retroactive cap space for LTIR when you were otherwise under. LTIR can only be used when you are otherwise over.

Anyone who thinks MaJo will be #2 center ready next year (I don't, maybe end of year), acquiring McD for two more years at 4.7 would be a bad move.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@vermont

I don't think EDM would want Semin. They seem to be wanting prospects. I think any trade involving EDM would have to include Orlov.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Schultz isn't as bad as you guys want him to be viewed. The same guy, Pierre McGuire, that was cited as an expert to prove us amateurs know what we're talking about regarding GMGM being pressured to make a move speaks very highly of Schultz when he does the Caps games. Schultz does a lot of subtle things. One quick example was during the 3rd period last game Schultz gained control of the puck just inside the neutral zone about 3 feet from our blueline. All three of our forwards headed to the bench and Schultz had an Islander right in front of him. He did a simple head fake and then drug the puck back into the zone, made a calm pass to his defensive partner and the Caps completed their line change while maintaining control of the puck. A crappy defenseman in that situation coughs up the puck, lobs it to the Islanders, or ices it. It is amazing to me that the only players that seem to do no wrong on here by the ones that pee on this blog are Erskine and Hendricks. Is it because the bar is so low for them, or simply because they rattle teeth, in Erskine's case, sometimes at a very bad time leading to a glorious scoring chance?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@ underpants, you got me at hello on the Poti extension -- I never got that one. Too many wimpy blueliners on this team already, and extending the king of wimpy blueliners with a glass grion. Yeah he took a shot in the face for the team, but so did Belanger, whom the Caps needed a lot more than Poti. That one is an albatross wrapped around gmgm's neck

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@Jim, even in his last year in the NHL over a year ago he had less then one blocked shot a game, he also had 50 hits in 37 games or 111 over a 82 game season. Sarge had 129 blocked shots in only 73 games and was on pace to have 74 hits over 82 games. So you gain some hitting although Souray is even slower now so many of those hits even if he could get there in time to make them would put him way out of position and you lose a lot of blocked shot. Souray may be big but he can't block a shot.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

MaJo won't be ready for full time 2nd line C duty next year. And he might not be ever. He's an excellent 3C right now, when he improves his faceoff %, he will be one of the best 3C in the league. He doens't have the offensive instincts, maybe they develop to 2C level but they are nowhere close yet. That being said he is constantly improving and having a good year, I just think a lot of people's expectations for him are HIGH.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@tom, I think that Eakin was very close to making it this year, considering he was one of the last cut the team seems to agree. Not every player needs to get some AHL time first. I think that he will be ready at the start of the season to be a #3C. MJ might not put up great offensive numbers but he will help cover up some of the defensive mistakes that his wingers will make especially if he is with Semin.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 28, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

ThePat: It is a constant theme among fans that all our young players are future 1st Team All-Stars.

The proper method to evaluate a player is what is he doing against his peers and what did other players at his level then do at the next level. Unless Eakin right now is WHL leading scorer, he isn't NHL ready Oct 1st. Fehr tore up WHL two years (of course, he had injuries) but that did not translate to NHL success. And he was a wing. Eakin at center has a harder transition.

Honestly, had we signed say Koivu and Belanger, MaJo could have used 1/2 yr at Hershey. It never hurts them unless they are an Ovechkin. Dominating in a lower league is one of the best ways to develop.

Orlov, too. No way NHl Oct 1st. Look at carlson, even he is struggling some of late.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

---------

sorry you lost me at Pierre McGuire is an "expert"

He's a dolt. One of the dumbest hockey analysts out there. In fact there isn't a hockey "expert" who knows less about the game than McGuire. I'll take both Stan Fischler AND Melrose. McGuire's list of inaccuracies is long and embarassing.

And Schultz is still one of our worst dmen on most nights these days. And I question if he even has much trade value.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

------------

in what universe is Sheldon Souray not a big body?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Eakin is 32nd in scoring. He missed some games. His pts per game make him Top 5. generally a 19-year-old with what he's done is "maybe" an NHLer next year.

Had we had Eakin this year rather than MP, maybe we would have been better. But Koivu or someone similar much better.

We need a second experienced C behind Backie.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse