Poll: Do you like the new, tougher Capitals?

Morning Roundup

In two preseason games this week, two Capitals players -- D.J. King and Matt Hendricks -- fought. The former to remind everyone what it's like to have a heavyweight in the room again, the latter to make sure opponents knew that any slight against Alex Ovechkin would not go unnoticed.

Granted, it's only the preseason, but there certainly appears to be a heightened gritty undertone in the Washington dressing room these days. Whether the uptick is about setting a precedent against opponents early on or something else, the presence of a player like King can certainly give other teams pause before challenging the Capitals.

"It puts a second thought in somebody's head," Brooks Laich said. "Where maybe they'd run around a little loose, carefree, a loose cannon, now they have somebody they really have to answer to if things get out of whack. So maybe it just tones them down a little bit. Sometimes the job that somebody like D.J. does isn't seen every night; people usually talk about the fights that he has, but sometimes it's an undercover job of just keeping cooler heads out there."

FROM THE POST
If you managed to miss them yesterday, go check get some Friday laughs with a new slate of advertisements featuring the Capitals. There's a pair with Bruce Boudreau and another with Alex Ovechkin.

AROUND THE WEB
Ted Leonsis says to expect a colder environment, and perhaps better ice, in Verizon Center this year.

Puck Daddy wrestles with and previews the Capitals' upcoming season.

By Katie Carrera  | October 1, 2010; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps hopefuls eager to impress in final preseason games
Next: Carlson, Fleischmann among tonight's scratches

Comments

PRIMVS!

NE AVTEM CONTERAT PENGVINS

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Tougher Capitals??? The add of King and potential add of Hendricks doesn't make this a tough.

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

why doesn't OV get a set and finish up what he starts. he loves the cameras but not a potential fist.

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

And the award for Friday Morning Trolling goes to........doughless.

Congratulations!

Posted by: j3rockstar | October 1, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that MJ is one of the players who will be at the Caps convention?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it would seem a little odd to invite a player to the Caps convention if you are going to cut him two days later. Especially if he is headed back to Sweden. It would seem to be better PR to get a guy you know will be on the team for the season.

Is this maybe an indication that MJ is staying? Or does it have no meaning whatsoever?

Posted by: sgm3 | October 1, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Ovi has no qualms to get into a fight at all, although I’m sure management pretty much forbids him to do so.

Posted by: guer_j | October 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

U R joking right! fighting is reserved for players that don't have enough talent to make the NHL without it...the last thing I want is OV fighting some 600,000 dollar a year cave man and then being out for a season with post-concussion syndrome or a broken hand...I try to respect opinions on this blog...but that is retarded. It is hard enough watching him take and give huge hits every game...

Posted by: capscoach | October 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

I'm having trouble understanding it. You have two possible meanings:

1) only fighters are allowed to make hits

or

2) that Ovechkin overdoes it on some of his hits (that I agree with and the remedy is what the league did last year - suspension).

If it's the latter and he's made a reckless hit, why does his having a fight make it okay?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

my vote is "its too early to tell".

Its very possible depending on how things shake out, that guys like Hendricks and King don't make much of a contribution. For ex, even if those 2 make the team to start the season, if we have a slow start the first thing the Caps will try and do is inject more 'offense' into their lineup.

And if they're off their pace from last season and view themselves as underperforming, they will play a bit tighter. Meaning, they'll want to cut down on things like penalties and play a more vanilla game. Any aggressive penalty will be heavily frowned upon. Guys like Hendricks and King will be skating on eggshells trying to not rock the boat. Also depends on how their PK units are performing.

I don't think the Caps this year will be more than just 'marginally' tougher than any recent years. Not unless they add some toughness to their D and clear some room upfront so that guys like King, Hendricks, AG etc end up being entrenched in the lineup versus being on the fringe. If they can clear at least 2 roster spots upfront (i.e. BG and Flash), that means Bruce pretty much has to go with a slightly tougher 3rd/4th line. He won't have too many other options.

But teams usually revert to what they know best. And Bruce imo has yet to prove that he can or wants to coach a tough lineup because I don't think he embraces that style. You rarely ever hear him addressing his team's lack of physicality. Last week when it was reported that members of the coaching staff took Hendricks aside to discuss his alleged lack of aggressive play in a game was the first time I can remember anything like that around here. Is it a sign of a different philosophical shift? or just a minor blip.

IMO, BB views physicality and team toughness as a separate entity that isn't necessarily a critical component of winning. If he can get another good reg season record out of his team and they're still one of the bottom dwellers in physicality, I think he'll be fine with it.

my point being, there are many other (good) teams who don't operate that way. Physicality is a critical component of their philosophy. So whether they're in a 5 game losing streak or winning streak, they don't abandon that part of their game.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

doughless,

Do you really want Ovie breaking a hand on a helmet and be out six to eight weeks so he can prove his toughness to you? That is what players like King, Hendricks, Bradley, and Erskins are around for, to take care of the stars so they don't injure themselves stupidly in a fight.

Ovie plays one of the most physical games around, there is no questioning his toughness.....fighting for him in my opinion would just be stupidity! How often did/do you see players like Gretzky/Malkin/Crosby drop the mits? Yeah it happens on occassion but rarely and usually a team mate will jump in to take over said fight.

This all being said I answered the poll as "too early to tell". We will see if the team ends up with Hendricks/AGordon on it and King playing a significant amount of games.

Posted by: PhilR | October 1, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

------------------

So when Mike Richards or Dubinsky or Backes or Iginla drops the gloves what does that mean then?

Heck, Malkin dropped his gloves in the 3rd pd of a PRESEASON game. Coincidentally, so did Rick Nash.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

I'm having trouble understanding it. You have two possible meanings:

1) only fighters are allowed to make hits

or

Posted by: RedLitYogi |

yeah i didn't get that either. I have no problem actually with the way Ovy hits. I think its perfectly fine and when he crosses the line then he should get fined or suspended. Although the Brian Campbell hit was still overhyped and an unfair suspension. But certainly Ovy has gotten away with a lot (the Gonchar hit for ex).

But I still will take the aggressive Ovy over a tempered-down one. The last thing this team needs is more complacent passive players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I heard that pound Ovie gained was 100% pure tough. Therefore by simple math, we got tougher.

Nuff said.

@sgm3
From the sounds of it, MaJo will most likely be wearing Hershey and Caps jerseys. It sounds like from the snippets of info me and a couple others have seen, he is looking to stay in NA and play hockey.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

BTW, KC, for what it's worth - definitely not in the pro DJ King camp, but think Hendricks a good pick up.

If the Caps are getting tougher, everyone's getting tougher. It just means the emphasis in the sport is changing and it is not, imo, a good thing. But it is what it is, we'll see if it veers too much toward spectacle.

The hockey fights subculture is something that has been grafted onto the game since the 70's. But it is no more essential to hockey than corn subsidies to farmers are essential to democracy. It's something that has happened and I'm thinking that it's not a good thing but that that subculture should not be dictating what the game is.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR |

the same way some caps fans pointed to the Scott Walker acquisition as some type of proof that the team was focused on upgrading its grit. Walker had limited ability to do that for many reasons. He was old and beat up. And he never would get a real chance to crack this lineup last yr because he wasn't a skilled player. He was strictly there as a depth acquisition. And you can't really contribute to team toughness from the bench.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | October 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

frankly, if this team finished more checks and generally played a more aggressive scrappy game, it wouldn't bother me one bit if they didn't get into many fights. You can have teams who don't fight very much who still play an abrasive chippy style. And you also have teams who can rack up a few fights but that doesn't translate into anything positive.

My ideal scenario would be more consistent hitting across all 4 lines. And any fights that did occur happened in the heat of the moment. Not our tough guy fighting their tough guy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post

Posted by: sgm3 | October 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedLitYogi

its not a subculture any more than clearing the crease is a subculture. Fighting can sometimes be necessary and sometimes be unnecessary. Its that simple. Fighters over the years (1st liners thru 4th liners and across all defensive pairings) have proven to be invaluable members of their teams. Would Rick Tocchet have been the player he turned into if not for the contributions he made with his fists? I think not. Ditto with guys like Corson, Nolan, Tkachuk, Deadmarsh, Graves, Neely, etc.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3 first part to you, the bottom is to pretty much everyone else

A. Gordon, MP and Beagle are also at the convention to talk about the Bears Calder Cup runs. So I dont think there is any correlation with MaJo being there.

Even though I do think he makes the team and am apparently one of the few, since apparently you guys all seem to think MP is a better player. And MP is not better by the way.

Posted by: ThePat | October 1, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

also, while the Caps look at King as a deterrent factor, other teams look at their tough guys as more of a DICTATING factor. Again, reactive v proactive.

Its like a bunch of guys who just got into hockey 5 yrs ago are running this team. That's what it feels like to me. They know a lot about certain parts of hockey and its translated into a talented roster. And then they share a completely layman's perspective about some really basic hockey concepts.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Thanks for addressing RedLityogi's comment. I have no clue what he is talking about and probably would have been more harsh in response. Way to be civil.

Posted by: ThePat | October 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton01
>>rankly, if this team finished more checks and generally played a more aggressive scrappy game, it wouldn't bother me one bit if they didn't get into many fights.
100% with you on that - we HAVE to finish our checks. That's why I like Hendricks - he can skate and actually catch someone - and not King.

BTW, about the fights subculture - excellent link you posted the other day about that, fascinating. I don't think a fight that arises out of play is all that bad - and it doesn't happen often. The staged stuff, though, is just goofy.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 1, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Pinner got sent down to Hershey. Not surprising but just wanted to let people know.

Posted by: ThePat | October 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Last year, GMGM decides to go no enforcer. It didn't work. This year, back to using a roster slot for an enforcer. He's making it up as he goes along, it seems. Granted, Pens were the same way last year. Both teams got Canadienned. Both teams, I think, thought they were at the forefront of a new speed-and-scoring-first age in NHL, which would have been nice. I think they are both realizing that this is too easy to stop, especially come playoff time.

Posted by: DKSW | October 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@Redlityogi

If you explained yourself that way about not minding the non staged fights the first time, then I wouldnt have minded. The whole getting into subcultures made me misunderstand what you were getting at.

Posted by: ThePat | October 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I voted yes, but agree with CStanton1 that its too early to tell. So I guess I want my vote to be I like it, but time will tell. I like the fact that King and Hendricks stepped up to battle for their teammates. But truth be told, only King will make the roster of the two. Too much talent in Gordon to give a spot to a guy in Hendricks who will probably clear waivers and make it to Hershey. Gordon is out of options I beleive. Gordon does play a simple dump & chase sort of game and likes to crowd the front of the net. Boy did we need someone willing to do that last season. I haven't seen any of the preseason games so I don't know if he is a gritty sort.

Posted by: jimc93 | October 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

A suspected defense, according to our illustrious analysts here, and more goons to put us short-handed ... well, it makes a lot of sense ... Doesn't it??? ... I think, but what do I know, I like the pure game and I enjoy the UFC for my aggressive fix.

Posted by: hock1 | October 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@doughless

I'm having trouble understanding it. You have two possible meanings:

1) only fighters are allowed to make hits

or

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

my point is number 2. but the bigger issue is OV's whole personna as the team leader and media superstar. how can a guy who is so over the top in everything else he does on the ice (including his sometimes misplaced hits) and yet be willing then willing to answer a challenge to fight. When did OV last fight someone, Mike Richards?? I am not saying OV needs to be a fighter. Does he risk injury, sure. But he risks injury with some of the stupid hits he makes, too. This guy wants to be the leader of the Caps, but Bradley and Hendricks take his heat. IF he really wants to fight his own battles, he could have waived Bradley off. The guy talks his physical game up every chance he gets and says he won't change how he plays (the whole dirty hits discussion), but doesn't deal with what that may bring to his doorstep.

I don't think the Bruins guys showed much respect for OV's superstar the other night and I suspect that will more and more become the case.

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 1, 2010 11:16 AM

@RedLitYogi:

Good analogy. FWIW, I enjoy a good scrap now and then, but I agree that too much emphasis on fisticuffs is not a good thing (e.g., the Men Who Love Goons). Like it or not, though, fighting will probably always be some small part of Hockey Culture.

That said, I have noticed that several good veteran players with a good amount of gas in the tank are facing the prospect of being buried in the minors this year...more than usual, it seems. And it seems to be not so much because of declining play as because of the desire of management to somehow manipulate the salary cap.

Please see my post of 9/27/10 5:05 PM here:

...and tell me what you think.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@redlit

the staged stuff is extremely goofy. totally agree with that. And i think that truly can exist in a vacuum without having positive or negative effects for either team. In other words, its a true sideshow, a true spectacle. I'm a fan of it only to see how certain guys measure up against each other. But I can definitely live without it and it doesn't add much to my 'game experience.'

thx for readin that link too, I thought it provided a real nice inside look.

but going back to the "our fighter fights your fighter" mentality. That may have existed in the 70s, 80s, and 90s but it operated very differently. For one, there was a lot more emotion involved when two heavies squared off. Also, it didn't just happen right off the faceoff like it does now. And you had 4th line heavies back then engaging in battles with all types of players, not just their counterparts. Probert would engage anyone. Same with Dave Brown or Jay Miller. Nowadays, the heavies seem to exist only to face each other.

I think the reason this new trend has really occurred is the # of fights in the Canadian/Quebec leagues. Where almost 3/4 of each team is loaded for bear. And then you get this underground movement of fans who tape every fight and watch every fight across every league. Then they track these guys all the way to the AHL and ECHL and finally a few make it to the NHL. But the focus some of these fans have on fighters is mindnumbing. Its fighting for the sake of fighting instead of what it originally was there for - to foster team chemistry.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

This is why I want to see Hendricks and AGordon make the opening night roster and I want Beagle and Pinner to see significant call-up time throughout the year. Those four guys finish their checks, that can not be disputed. And you are right, King should not just be going out there staging fights witht he other teams tough guys.....the fights should happen in the heat of the moment, none of this staging crap.

Posted by: PhilR | October 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

----------------------

i love overly simplistic thinking. Makes me feel better about myself.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'll agree with RedLitYogi on the fighting, at least to a degree. Goon-vs-goon fights are a sideshow and a net detriment to the game, IMO. I saw nothing useful in the recent King fight. OTOH, I was pleased when Hendricks went after Campbell. Maybe with better rules and officiating, that type of retaliation would be unnecessary, but until that happens a certain amount of self-policing by the players is necessary.

As far as physical play more generally, there is a lot of room for improvement from the veteran players. I hope to see Fehr and Laich spend more time in the crease screening opposing goalies and scoring in close, like Knuble. Chimera could help the team a lot with increased physicality, as CStanton has noted. Semin could finish a check once in a while. Even Flash, well, ... enough said.

Posted by: zmega | October 1, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@Phil

we're on the same page there. I said the exact thing all offseason. Getting guys who can play reg minutes into our lineup who bring a certain scrappiness contributes to team toughness way more than a guy playing 5 shifts a night and getting into a token fight. Look at a kid like BJ Crombeen. He finishes every check he can make and thru his hitting he ends up getting into some scraps. But he's cheap, and good for about 10-15 goals per season. We need our 4th liners to play like that. And why I've been an Arron Asham fan for the last several yrs.

I don't think King is necessarily a 5 shift per game player either. But Boudreau isn't the type of coach who can effectively develop a King into a regular player either. I bet if the Caps had somehow drafted Chris Neil he'd still be in the minors or at best a 4th liner.

King's job should be to get in deep on the forecheck, lay some heavy hits, establish his presence down low in the offensive end and in front of the net, push and shove around after the whistle if necessary. Just your run of the mill 4th line tough guy role. The other stuff - sticking up or defending a teammate etc is secondary. Not 'primary', the way it gets portrayed sometimes. He should see a regular shift in the first 2 periods and then limited time thereafter depending on the way the game is going. At the end of the night King should be getting about 8-10 mins per game. There are many other similar players who get that type of ice time.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Too early to tell for sure. Let's see how they actually play.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i love overly simplistic thinking. Makes me feel better about myself.

--------------
LOL. I know you do, wich begs the question: What makes you feel better, overly simplistic thinking or being delusional?

Posted by: hock1 | October 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I was just going off the list here:

But if all the others are going also, then it doesn't mean anything.

I do like MP and feel he will be a good center in the NHL. I haven't had the chance to see MJ really play much so I can't make a comparison, but MJ does have the better pedigree. Ideally both will become good players.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@zmega

I think King's bout with Thornton was just a tuneup since he's been rusty with his injuries the past 2 yrs.

but i think that a lot of young fighters think the way to justify their role on their team is to get into a certain # of fights every season. Too bad. A perfect DJK shift would be to dump the puck in deep on the Penguins, lay a thunderous hit on Orpik, and then end up around the crease at the whistle. Then he get right in Orpik's face and give him a big smile and if Orpik or anyone else wants to make an issue of things, he can oblige them without having to skate away to 'stay out of trouble'.

That's how a good 4th liner establishes his presence. Big hit down low, crash the net, exchange pleasantries.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1

how many times did Brashear leave this team shorthanded despite his overall PIM totals?
I bet Semin took more non-coincidental minors than Brash did. And didn't provide any toughness along the way.

so to answer your question, i love how your mind works in such basic simple ways. Makes life a lot easier i bet!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@doughless

Seriously man, you more often than not, make no sense. And not just from the fact that you utter and rant in sentence fragments, but that your points are just asinine.

Ovie throws hits (some say reckless, out of control, overly aggressive, etc) and yes he risks injury doing this. The difference is hits are part of the normal course of the game. Like tackles in football. Fighting is not part of the game, just a fun and fan entertaining byproduct of the game. To me, the toughest ice hockey player and one willing to put his money where his mouth is, one who is willing to throw his body around (legally). Those who fight to prove they have "NHL talent" are your goons who have to result to fighting, dirty hits, cheap shots.

It’s not that he doesn’t “have a set” and let’s the Hendricks/Bradley’s step in as you so ignorantly put it, its that Ovie is more valuable than them and their roles are to do just that so THEY step in and do it on their own accord. Im positive Ovie would have no trouble throwing around a couple fists, but because the Bradleys/Hendricks/Kings have such respect for Ovie and his types, they do their best to not let him. Like in football, you think a center is going to let a linebacker get in the face of Tom Brady?

Try thinking just a little before making just ridiculous statements.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

On a interesting note..TSN picks the Caps as their pre-start to season #1 (power ranking like) team. Over a Canadian team. Wow.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 1, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

why doesn't OV fight? Doesn't want to get embarassed?

Like I said, his last fight was 2006. By the way, check out the "clean" hit on Briere.

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

This is the first time I have seen the qualification "in market only" for a streaming preseason game. If I can't watch it here in SoCal, I'll be rightly pi$$ed.

Posted by: struggler | October 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

-------------
Apparently it does to you. If that is not simplistic way of looking at things I don't know what is. Your brutal analysis of the game is overwhelming - and I say that while thinking of Rod Serling.
You win. Semin sucks. We need to trade him for someone that can hit. What team need goals?

Posted by: hock1 | October 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Also, too early to tell with the ice. Let's see how it is on a Saturday night game when Georgetown tipped off at noon that day. It was always the basketball/hockey combo that messed up the ice."

True, but luckily the Caps will not being doing this during the playoffs, when ice quality is the most important. Especially with increasing heat at that time, cooling down the building more(at a good cost to Ted too) is important. I like that Ted is doing this. Especially with the type of team the Caps have.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

the truth lies somewhere betwixt Doughless and Saito's positions.

Doughless is saying that Ovy needs to answer for his own style of play a little more often instead of cavalierly running over people and then refusing to drop the gloves.

I can agree with that. Even if its just once or twice a year. I think he gains more respect by doing that than simply expecting his 4th liners to step for him.

Saito's position that its ONLY the Bradleys/Hendricks/Kings who should be stepping in for the top liners is a little misguided imo. One of the reasons a guy like Iginla got so much respect is he dropped the gloves once in a while to either answer for a hit he made or to stick up for one of his other teammates. When a 3rd or 4th liner sees an Ovechkin do that once in a while, its a real boost to a team and despite all the divisions of roles and responsibilities it can bring a team together. Because on the best teams, you can't tell the 1st line from the 4th. There's a blurring quality- Everyone's hitting everyone's skating.

Too often on the Caps, you can easily tell which line is on the ice without having to look too closely. Ah, I just saw two guys on the same line finish checks. Must be our 4th line!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Fighting is not a part of the game..."

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

thanks for clearing everything up for me.

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1

again, you never cease to amaze me with how those neurons keep misfiring in such a consistent manner.

Your point was that by employing a DJK that automatically means we'll be taxing our PK units even more. All I did was point out that while Brashear was here, he provided some good toughness and racked up some PIMs without leaving his team shorthanded very often. And it was a guy like Semin who ended up taking a lot of unnecessary minor penalties.

And you then through your usual dimwitted manner leaped to the conclusion that I am saying to trade Semin or that he 'sucks'.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Haven't the NHL players voted Ovie player of the year three years in a row?

I'm guessing they woulnd't vote for Ovie if they didn't respect him and his style of play a lot.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 1, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

cstanton:

exactly. perhaps me being too bombastic quite often is my posts prevents others from picking up on my points, but you have hit the nail on the head. Instead, people like SAOTI have to start out by calling people asinine. Thanks a bunch bro or sis!!

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

cstanton:

exactly. perhaps me being too bombastic in my posts prevents others from picking up on my points, but you have hit the nail on the head. Instead, people like SAOTI have to start out by calling people asinine. Thanks a bunch bro or sis!!

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

King and Bradley should make a very nice combo. Complimentary skills. That way Brads can dole out some good sandpaper with King at his back. Hendricks would be fine to center that line except for faceoff proficiency.

I'm still expecting a trade, either BGordo, Steckel or Flash. Or Chimera. I think I was the first to put on here to trade him and save $1.4M with a Hershey promotion.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 1, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 11:59 AM

I don't remember the last time I saw this from the Caps.

I hate to use the Pens as an example but it's easy because they're a heavy forecheck team. That style of play, especially in the playoffs is how you control the game.

Posted by: Fro_2 | October 1, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

i understand you Doughboy. That's all that matters. I really see myself as the adhesive quality on this blog. I bring people and viewpoints together. Really, I'm invaluable.

btw, bombastic- great word!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

--------

exactly

teams without a ferocious forecheck across all 4 lines don't usually win Cups. At the very least you need it on 3 lines. The Caps forecheck ain't nothin to write home about. Tampa was the only team who won a Cup in my memory who didn't have a great forecheck but they kinda developed one thru that playoff season. So the odds overwhelmingly favor teams who have established effective aggressive forechecks.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

yeah, this could be a really boring place like Japers Rink. what a snooze. they think very highly of themselves and their opinions there.

Posted by: doughless | October 1, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we really just took toughness for granted on this team. So last year when we didn't have it it was pretty noticeable

Posted by: dcfury | October 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

i didn't take it for granted. In fact, I remember raisin quite the stink on this blog when it was clear that McPhee didn't intend to replace Brashear's role last season.

And the responses I recall were something to the effect of, the game has changed, we don't need a tough guy, this team is plenty tough enough, we'll burn em with the PP so they won't take liberties.

sigh

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Good one CS - at least you are finally developing a sense of humor, and at your own expense even.

Posted by: ds_kelly | October 1, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If they dress King and Hendricks for games, then yes, I do believe the team is tougher. But if they go back to the same old lineup, then no, because it would be the same old story!

Posted by: rockinthered1 | October 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

To piggyback on an earlier comment by our favorite serial poster about being a fan of Aaron Asham. I was thinking earlier today why not sign Asham, a free agent before Pitt signed him and give up nothing. Then we would still have a nice prospect in our system. Ahh, reopening a can of worms.

Posted by: jimc93 | October 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse