Notes From Calgary; TV Ratings Up

Some notes and quotes from the morning skate to get you ready for tonight's game at Pengrowth Saddledome:

*Jose Theodore, as expected, will start in net while the forward lines and 'D' pairings are the same as yesterday. (Donald Brashear is in and Eric Fehr is out.)

*Flames Coach Mike Keenan, already on the hot seat after his team has blown leads in four consecutive games, held a 35-minute closed door meeting after the morning skate.

"We went over some things," captain Jarome Iginla said. "Our focus will be defense tonight. We've talked about it and now we've got to go do it. We're at the bottom of the league in defense and that's got to change."

*Twenty-seven year old Caps call-up Tyler Sloan, who is set to make his NHL debut tonight in his hometown, said he slept fine last night -- sort of. He also said he got a pep talk this morning from Coach Bruce Boudreau, a guy who knows a thing or two about making his NHL debut at home. Boudreau's came in 1977 against Philly in Toronto.

"It's one thing to talk to a guy, then he picks up the paper and there's his picture and there's a full page spread on him," Boudreau said. "He's like any Canadian kid [playing at home] -- he's going to have his jitters. I told him to get a shot and hit right off the bat and get right back to what he can do."

Sloan, who was surrounded by Calgary area media when I walked into the dressing room, said: "There was a little tossing and turning last night, but for the most part I kept my mind pretty quiet. I felt great on the ice this morning, and I feel good now. I'm sure I'll feel a little something a little closer to game time, butterflies are going to build. But so far so good."

*Defenseman Tom Poti (groin) and right wing Viktor Kolzov (left knee sprain) both skated for a few minutes this morning. Poti said he's not where he needs to be yet but is still hopeful that he'll play sooner rather than later. Kozlov told me his knee is sore and he hopes to know a little more about his status tomorrow in Phoenix.

"I tweaked it a little bit on my second shift in Pittsburgh," Poti said. "It's frustrating. It's one of those things you have to be patient with, but I'm not the most patient guy. I want to be out there."

*After going 1-for-8 on the power play against New Jersey on Saturday night, Coach Bruce Boudreau vowed to make some changes. Those changes, he said this morning, will have more to do with him than with his players.

"I'm screwing it up by trying to make everyone happy," Boudreau said. "Sometimes, as a young coach, you have to realize you can't make everyone happy. You just have to put the guys out there. So that's what we're going to do."

The Caps' power ranks 14th (18.5-percent.)

*Just like Caps-Pens games, there's a battle within the battle worth keeping an eye on tonight: Alex Ovechkin vs. Dion Phaneuf. Those two always look to dish out punishing hits. But it seems to rise to another level when they face one aother.

Ovechkin, however, needs to make sure he doesn't focus too much on getting the better of Phaneuf, the way he did with Evgeni Malkin in Pittsburgh.

"I can guarantee they're going to put Phaneuf out on the ice every time Alex is out there," Boudreau said. "We just have to see how that works out. That's what makes Alex, Alex. I don't want to change him."

*Former Capitals winger Matt Pettinger has been claimed off waivers by Tampa Bay, so maybe, just maybe, he'll make an appearance at Verizon Center this season after all. He had already been demoted by Vancouver by the time the Canucks came to Washington last week.

Updated:Oops. Forgot to pass along. Thankfully Dan Steinberg was all over it on his blog: Caps' TV Ratings are up 100 percent over last year's. Read about it here.

*Also, at 1:35 Calgary time, I saw my first snowflake of the year. Now, my friends, it's officially hockey season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 21, 2008; 2:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Neuvirth to Czech Republic
Next: Power Play Lacks, Um, Power

Comments

Who knew Boudreau was a "young" coach?

Posted by: Huh? | October 21, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I liked Feds on the blue line; he can make some great break-out plays and it might prolong his legs. I understand with injuries he goes back up front - what's the feeling around him-coaches about where he-they would prefer him?

Posted by: Hew | October 21, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Closed door meetings don't usually happen this early in the season! That could not have been a comfortable room to be in.

Posted by: RobMonroe | October 21, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Achtung, Panzer!

Mama Schultz is gonna be in attendance tonight. Watch me!

I'll unleash my 6'5" frame and patented half slap shot on Calgarians.

Achtung, Panzer!

Papa Schuiltz, das Führer of Capitals defense.

Posted by: Papa 'Panzer' Schultz | October 21, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Schuuuuuultz!

Posted by: Klink | October 21, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

That closed door meeting happened after a whopping 8 minute on-ice practice, too. Hardly seems worth even putting on the skates for that!

Their last 3 losses were after they had the lead, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 21, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Last year the Caps and Flames played, in my mind, the best game of the season when they played each other. Both teams had their A-game going and it could have gone either way. Both teams have superstars (real, not in the hyped sense). Look at the rosters, you have two Hart finalists from last year (including the winner) a Noriss finalist, a Calder finalist, two former Vezina finalists (including a winner) in goal on both sides...

Going into the season this match-up was my pick to play in the Finals. I have a feeling the Flames will turn it around, and I also think the Caps haven't played thier best hockey yet (other than the game vs. Vancouver...)

Posted by: Mike L. | October 21, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha, that's awesome.

Gabby was talking constantly in the press about giving everyone as much opportunity as possible. Doing so obviously hasn't hurt the end result but it's awesome he's able to realize he was a part of the problem.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Fehr just isn't gonna get the ice time is he? I say bench Bradley or let Brash's hand heal more, so that Fehr can keep his game going.

Posted by: mbr | October 21, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@RobMonroe...

Closed door meetings are uncomfortable

Early season closed door meetings: More uncomfortable

Meetings with Mike Keenan: Very Uncomfortable

An early season closed door meeting with Mike Keenan: Yikes!

Posted by: Mike L. | October 21, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Man, is there any wonder why the players love Boudreau?

"I told him to get a shot and hit right off the bat and get right back to what he can do."

For that matter, is there any wonder why all the fans love Boudreau?

Posted by: John in Mpls | October 21, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Almost time Zoo for the greatest cheese cutting on Saddledome ice. Watch as it is disney on ice with the goal scoring through the big JT Cheese factory. Watch as 4 goals are put up.

In the end george won't be happy and either will the Zoo.

Check in for emotion commotion by the Zoo.

Gametime 6 hours and counting.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I certainly don't want to face a more motivated Calgary team. They have a good squad, especially if they get themselves together. Lets hope the Caps bring their A-game too.

Posted by: Grape8 | October 21, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

And our A-game for the whole game, not just the 3rd period.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau is the best thing to happen to the Caps since....

We won Ovechkin in the 2004 Lottery.

Posted by: RonG Capsfan | October 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Mike L. I was going to say the exact same thing. I'm sure any meeting with Iron Mike is hard to deal with.

Kipprasoff is not really playing very well right now. I'm assuming he's starting tonight. I think if the Caps net a few early, they'll pull him.

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 21, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I think 4 is too low of a number "cheez". I'm thinkin JT gives up 10 tonight, and on the first 8 shots too. BTW tonight's a late one so be an extra good boy today and maybe mommy will let you stay up late and you two can watch together.

Posted by: mbr | October 21, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@Huh? - I think Boudreau means young as in only his first full season with the Caps, dude. ;-)

As for the forward lines and D-pairings...

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Clark
Laich-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Nylander-Bradley
Brashear-Steckel-Gordon

Morrisonn-Green
Sloan-Schultz
Erskine-Jurcina

only the usual nerves about Erskine-Jurcina, and putting Tyler Sloan in with the soft-hitting Jeff Schultz...

It will be interesting to see what effect (if any) on Ovechkin, Bäckström and Semin the shift in offensive lines will have.

And WELCOME BACK, BRASH!!! :)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 21, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Aloan? Huh? Things are getting weird it must be Halloween season.

Sloan FLUSHMATE pressure-assist technology offers the only true ... This is why every leading toilet manufacturer offers a toilet with Sloan FLUSHMATE inside.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know if Sloan is a fighter? I know Andre Roy is looking for his usual beatdown by a member of the caps.

Which hand did the donald hurt? I hope not his left hand or better know as the "jackhammer"

Posted by: stevo | October 21, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

When they updated the software a few months back they should have added an "Ignore Poster" option. Oy.

Posted by: Jeff | October 21, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | October 21, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff- exactly what I was thinking
@uncatim- awesome! and suddenly all these people who thought it was weird I was a Caps fan want to know when I'll take 'em to a game :)

Posted by: honed | October 21, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"What is snow?" - my grandchildren

Posted by: Ben | October 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Gaborik on the trading block- he would be a nice addy too bad we don't have cap room left

Posted by: Hew | October 21, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: honed | October 21, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

So, I'm curious: any idea what the power play will be? Who was BB trying to keep happy do you think? Who does and does not belong on PP? Think he'll go to one start studded unit? or still 2 units?

Posted by: CapFan | October 21, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hate asking a dumb/potentially asked and answered question already, but what number is Sloan going to wear tonight? What, with 5 being retired and all.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | October 21, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@honed: my friends still think it's weird that I'm into hockey, especially since I'm a girl and I'm middle eastern, I'm so glad that my brother got me into it... I've never been this excited about a sport, besides soccer.

Posted by: diehardcapsfan | October 21, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

diehardcapsfan,

what? they don't play hockey in the middle east?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@honed

thanks for the link, good find. My friends/teammates always joke me because I do play by play while I'm playing goalie. Maybe there's a future in broadcasting for me...ha!

Posted by: fullright | October 21, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@Whiter Mage

I imagine he'll be wearing his # from training camp. #89

Posted by: captnclark | October 21, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@Hew

Yeah, we need a wuss on the team.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@CapFan
Was thinking about the PP myself. I looked at who has been productive. You have Green with 4 goals. No brainer. You have Nyls with 2 assists. Another no brainer. Then you have Semin, Ovy, Backstrom, Flash, Laich and Koz with 1 point.

So, I think I add in Ovy (just because)and Semin (most points overall so far) and eithe Backstrom or Feds becuase that gives you Nyls and one of them who can work the puck and the others shoot.

Keep them in longer and after close to 1.5 mins, if not successful put in Laich, Flash, Feds/Backs. Haven't finished off unit 2 yet.

Agree?

Posted by: PPCoach | October 21, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Snow -- time to wax the skis

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if the flames will trot out that kid who dresses like Kipper before the game, I remember them doing a special on him.

Posted by: AP | October 21, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

LOL! First snows. Reminds me of when I traveled to Alberta a lot. Snowed every time I went there except the one time in mid-June. Cinco de Mayo saw 21" fall. That one time in June that it didn't snow, I was able to drive on roads that were normally closed for the season - damned long one, too. From November to June. The road had been opened a week when we were there.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 21, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure TB thinks Petty can't hurt at this point.

Heck, if Chicago can fire Savard, Melrose knows he's on borrowed time.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Ditto-
@honed

thanks for the link, good find

Hopefully, more press from the Times and Post from writers other then the Caps beat writers this year. Lots of great stories to write about if anyone bothers to look for one. The article in today's Post on the Caps broadcasters is a good example.
How about a nice feature on GMGM??

Posted by: Riddler | October 21, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

This could have happened in august. Its practically the north pole. Canadians go to long island and think its bermuda.

Posted by: oo7 | October 21, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Brash- remember, Jerome has been willing to drop the gloves some, so far this season. Take hime out for 5!

Posted by: H23 | October 21, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Feds on D.. Feds on 1st line.. Feds all over the place!!!

I'm really glad we are using him, and he's doing great things. I just hope we are not burning him out.

20+ Min of ice time on D the last 2 games, and tonight first line duties....

Here's to hoping backs finds his game with Semin and Feds doesn't burn out too soon this year!!

GO CAPS

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | October 21, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I miss snow. And playing pond hockey while it was snowing, after dark, with the flood lights on, begging Mom for just thirty more minutes on a school night. I even miss clearing off the pond after it snowed. Why do I live in the south again?
Looking forward to watching the game later, dvr delay and everything. I like the lines and I'm glad the guys are getting to play in their hometown, especially Sloan. A touching story, hope he scores a goal tonight.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
I'm with you - I'd move back up north any time ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I would put green, laich, feds, ovie, and semin on the power play.

Posted by: Meg | October 21, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Crosby one of Askmen.com's "Top 49 Influential Men"

Tuesday, 10.21.2008 / 9:13 AM / News NHL.com

NEW YORK – For the second straight year, Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has been named one of AskMen.com's "Top 49 Most Influential Men." Readers of AskMen.com, the world's leading men's lifestyle web site, ranked Crosby #45 on the list of men who had influenced them the most throughout 2008. Voters were asked to choose the men who have had the greatest influence on the way other men behave, buy and think.

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama topped the list. Other notables on the list include Republican presidential nominee John McCain, tech mogul Steve Jobs, Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, soccer star David Beckham and actors Robert Downey, Jr. and Christian Bale.

To view the full "Top 49 Most Influential Men list," visit http://www.askmen.com/specials/top_49_men/.

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo! and jmu_capsgirl

I hear you. The wife and I plan to move to Northern New England next year so our kids can have frozen ponds and Green & White Mountain skiing. Oh, our careers are doing well up north. Too bad the Caps are no longer connected with the Portland Pirates.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Jim:
Can you please have a chat with Mr. Boo for me?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - It snowed here in Evergreen Colorado last week, and I've already watched Mystery, Alaska twice.

Time for Ovie to put up a 4 goal game.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: pch49 | October 21, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo! gladly -- how can someone not love Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine??? Stowe has a nice mountain and the American Hockey and Ski Academy. Local news has UVT, UNH, BU, UMaine (hockey) game highlights and games on.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I spent a year in MN...too cold for me. New England sounds much better...more scenic at the least!

Posted by: fullright | October 21, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

How about Ovie admitting to the Calgary media that he and Phaneuf are good friends? He called him yesterday looking to hang out. He claimed he and Malkin are still good friends but nobody believed him.

Posted by: eric | October 21, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like almost a line there! I'll help clear the ice of snow and play, too. I can't count the number of time my toes were frostbitten from having played hours on the pond. I'd do it all again in a NY minute!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 21, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice the Devils game at Verizon was not in HD on CSN? I thought all home games this year were supposed to be HD. Anyone know what is up with that?

Posted by: Bill T | October 21, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Bill T, i think the game started in HD but there were some problems and it ended up in SD. i have Directv and i Tivo'd the game. around the time of the first caps goal, there were technical difficulties and it switched to SD. in fact, they didnt even catch the first goal.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 21, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Bill T:

The article about Joe B & Locker from honed previous post also addresses the HD issue.

Posted by: uncatim | October 21, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I think Versus has the best HD feed. Comcast is good, but seems Vs is better. I'm watching the Sabres/Bruins game now and watched the Bruins play the Habs last night on Vs - you could see the cuts in the ice it was so clear. I hope tonight's Caps game on Comcast HD is just as clear. The Pens game on Comcast kept dropping last week, made me completely NUTS! Here's to a great game in Calgary - GO CAPS!

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any pre PreGame news/quotes...anything...i'm dying here!

Katie?

Posted by: no brain no pain | October 21, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok I have to share this!!!
Driving home I was listening to Tampa and they said "Get your tickets for the next game! The first 10000 people in the door will get a Marty StLouis MINI bobblehead". I mean could it be more appropriate? You line up your bobblehead collection and the short one is StLouis!!! I just love this!

Posted by: Bob | October 21, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Blonde Caps Fan: Who's your TV provider? Comcast? DirecTV? FiOS? Other?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

My T.V. provider is ham radio.

Posted by: Little Bunny Foo Foo | October 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I have Comcast.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Little Bunny Foo Foo: You win this round...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I had to build my ham radio myself, out of matchsticks & jagged dirty sardine cans...

Posted by: uncatim | October 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Blonde Caps Fan: Interesting... I also have Comcast. I think VS HD looks great as long as nothing is moving, and then it turns blurry and ugly. Comcast is modifying the VS HD signal before sending it out so that they can carry more HD channels. Needless to say, they don't modify the signal for their own Comcast Sportsnet.

I guess it's possible that they're not doing it in your area. Of course, next week I'll have FiOS and VS HD will be back to looking spectacular.

Comcast Sportsnet has always looked great to me, although I did hear that there were problems with the Devils game. I watched the Pens game and it looked fine to me, except for our play in the 1st period.

Also some bad news, I'm pretty sure tonight's game in Calgary will not be distributed in HD. If we're lucky we'll get "widescreen" but it's not listed as one of our 50+ HD games.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Jim:
I love the north east, although (while I am from the great white north) I am not from that neck of the woods (no pun intended). Having said that, I could easily live there. My DH, on the other hand, would rather move to the beach - now what's the fun in that? ;-)

fullright:
Where were you in MN? Parts are VERY scenic - I love it there.

Greg:
Are you talking about all of us chattin' about movin' north? If so, I don't play hockey, but I am willing to learn! :-) I did, however, spend A LOT of time on frozen ponds as a kid (and snowy hills and ... :-)).

Bob:
That's pretty funny! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I have it on HD ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Greg - that was for you :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Greg: The game tonight is listed as Comcast HD on my channel line-up, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be broadcast in HD... or sometimes the quality of the HD is grainy. My biggest frustration was last week's Caps/Pens game that the HD feed kept dropping and we had to keep switching to the SD channel... I live in Reston, so I don't know if my Comcast is a different feed than yours - I wonder if that might have something to do with the difference?

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like widescreen tonight. Not quite as nice as HD, but still looks a LOT better than the regular old SD games we were getting last season.

If you think tonight is HD, then compare tonight's game to Thursday's game. The Thursday game is listed as HD.

By the way, if you're watching the VS HD game in the meantime... WHAT A SAVE. I was wondering why the red light didn't turn on!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo! -- I'm lucky. My wife is from Conn. so the NE is home for her. I actually took a pilgrammige to Mount Washington in late June for one last ski trip -- just had to find some snow. Whenever we go up in winter, my family and I watch college hockey on local tv. It's so great. The beach is nice, too. You can tell Mr. Boo! or is it Sir Boo!, that NE ponds are warm in the summer and awesome to waterski on. Ponds are like lakes near DC in size.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

hey there. i was just outside of St. Paul...Woodbury. Great town, great place, great people, and lots of hockey! (i was there for the Wild's innagural season, 2000 i think).
The downtown areas were nice, clean...love the Snoopy (Charles Shultz) memorials in St. Paul...the landscape was just too flat for me, i guess i'm a mountain man!
It was a good time...went to the Mall of America, learned how to ice fish, and most importantly, played a lot of hockey!

Posted by: fullright | October 21, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm off to watch our Caps on my friends' hi-def 50-inch TV screen. :)

Since Comcast dropped the ball, I watched the Devils broadcast in HD on Sat night ... I enjoyed listening to Doc Emrick.

And I'm glad that coming soon, us Insider loyalists will need to register with washingtonpost.com in order to submit comments (according to Soccer Insider).

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 21, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Caps fan in TN: I sure hope that little tidbit you found about having to register is true! I'm getting tired of having to scroll past all the nonsense to get to the good/valid posts.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Jim:
I have tried to sell him on the virtues of living in a "real" four season town - he's not feelin' it.

fullright:
True, it is fairly flat, but a little rolly here and there. Speaking of being flat, did you ever venture out to Buck Bump? Hey, ya gotta make due in the midwest! ;-) BTW, do you know what was where the MoA is before it was the MoA?

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The Comcast cable signal is broadcast at 480P, technically enhanced definition TV, the signal from FIOS, and the 2 satelites is now in 1080P (they changed from 720P a couple of months ago) so the picture should be noticably better on FIOS if your TV can resolve 1080P.

Posted by: Bob | October 21, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Bob, I hate to disagree, but I don't think that's true. Comcast and FiOS pass 1080i as 1080i and 720p as 720p. Your set top box will generally cross-convert to either 1080i or 720p -- your choice. The satellite companies, I can't speak to, but there is no television other than discs and special movie channels (ie, not just HBO or Showtime) that is 1080p.

Sorry if I sound incoherent, I'm suffering from an awful cold right now. But I am a huge TV nerd, and I can positively say that no TV provider carries Comcast Sportsnet or VS HD or any other mainstream channel as 1080p.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

Been watching the Bos-Buf game in HD so the Comcast feed blows.

Nice to see JoeB back.

Anyway, Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

Buck Bump? is that a ski "resort"? if no, then, nope never been there. if yes, then, nope never been there, but drove by it a bunch of times...Before the MoA, i believe the old northstars arena?

Posted by: fullright | October 21, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

According to Steve Goff on Soccer Insider:

"Beginning early next week, Insider loyalists will need to register with washingtonpost.com in order to submit comments. All Post blogs are affected. The purpose is to block spammers and deter unsavory comments, particularly in the political discussions. I will keep you updated as I learn more from the online administrators."

Stay tuned ...

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 21, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Remind me ... what is the correct pronunciation of Jose Theodore's name??

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 21, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

What perfect timing -- the shootout ends literally seconds before they drop the puck in Calgary.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

fullright:
1 outta 2 ain't bad (although I wouldn't want you as my goalie with those stats)! ;-) Buck Bump = Buck Hill (but since it is relatively small, the locals call it Buck Bump). MoA was the Vikings stadium before they built the HHH metrodome (i.e. when the Vikings played outside - in MN winters!). The North Stars played next to that stadium - is that building gone now, too?

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

F YEAH!

GO FEDS! NOW TIED FOR RUSSIAN GOAL LEADER!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

yea, i'm good for 50% on the ice too:) Ah, the Vikings stadium...I shoulda known, considering I was there for a really good Culpepper/Moss year.

Goal!

Posted by: fullright | October 21, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, nice deflection by Feds.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Comcast HD feed now, and I can say with confidence that the Versus HD game I just watched was of much better quality than this Comcast HD Caps game :(

That said, I'm thrilled that Feds scored!!! Let's Go Caps!!!!!

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I noticed they last year and it is the same this year. The people in the Saddledome are really quiet. No "OOOOoOhh's" for shots on goal by their team. Just really odd. They just sit there is silence or reverence, I not sure which.

When I mentioned that to a girl at work from New Brunswick, she replied "That's Calgary for you."

Posted by: nadir | October 21, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the feed is the same quality as the last home game that broke and they had to show it in std. def for most of the game.

Posted by: nadir | October 21, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

OMG What a hit!!!! Langkow down!!

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | October 21, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap... a 9 minute power play? I don't remember ever having seen THAT before...!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, how about that sloan, 9 minute power play?

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | October 21, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

No doubt there will be a make-up call soon. But as weak as the Caps PP has been, The Falmes really don't have too much to worry about.

Posted by: nadir | October 21, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Weak boys, weak. If this was in DC, we'd be hearing boos. C'mon, work it Caps!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY we see a flash of a Caps D man who isn't just big but plays big in Sloan.

4 minutes of power play and no goal? We should get a penalty just for that

Posted by: austinsteve | October 21, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, how about our crappy PP?

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

And, your make-up call brought to you by Revlon.

I've played and watched many, many hockey games in my life and I can't say I've ever seen a 9 minute PP.

Sharp observers might note that I still haven't....

Posted by: old time hockey | October 21, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

we need shooters, not passers!

Posted by: H23 | October 21, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

An offensive zone penalty is inexcusable, but with a man up is well...

Times like this is where BB shows his inexperience.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

blonde caps fan, this game is not in high def. [insert blonde joke here]

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 21, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve: I'm booing in my living room! How can we not score in 9 mins (minus 2 for nyles)??!

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

What happened to our PP over the summer? This is pathetic ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

9minute power play and we cant score????

Posted by: wendel | October 21, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

It's being fed on the Comcast HD channel, whether it's actually HD or not, I don't know, it's better than SD, but still pretty low quality.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

7 minutes of powerplay, and no goals, yikes, this can only build confidence for the flames. Far too fancy as Gabby would say

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | October 21, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

This is unbelievable - BOOOO HISSSS!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

3shots in 9 minutes of pp
what a frigging joke

Posted by: wendel | October 21, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

They should feel embarrassed....

Posted by: Hensmith | October 21, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Caps power play makes me sick

Posted by: Danny | October 21, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Utterly ridiculous. Too bad we can't decline penalties like in the NFL.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

WEAK.

Posted by: pch49 | October 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

What a waste of 9 minutes!!! Way to p*** your PP away boys. Why don't you pass the puck around a little more without shooting?

Posted by: dreadful | October 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

OMG that PP was horrible!!! Two games in a row the Caps could have put away a team with the PP. JT is playing well, at least. Backs looks terrible.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

9 minutes of powerplay time and not even a legitimate scoring chance...pathetic. That is the most embarassing thing i've seen in a long time. Give me a friggin' break. Awful. Failure at it's finest. Where's the O?!?!? We're supposed to be GOOD at that!?!?!

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 21, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Blonde Caps Fan: It's widescreen SD being served up tonight on the HD channel. Most upconverts (that's what you're watching -- an "upconvert" from widescreen 480i) do look better than regular SD, but obviously not nearly as good as HD.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Though Theodore has been playing great

Posted by: Hensmith | October 21, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

They need to stop trying to be so damn cute on the PP and shoot the damn thing!

Oh crap, now we're 2 men down! Freaking wonderful!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 21, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@JIM

Backstrom needs to be thrown down to the third if he keeps this crap up.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

This is looking really ugly. 2 men down.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Sad thing is that we could have scored and STILL be on the PP ... and scored again! What a waste.

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The Caps look better 2 down than 1 up

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Erskine, great timing as usual!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 21, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Theodore and the PK are doing well... very unfortunate on the PP though. Let's come out strong in the 2nd and win this one!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Can the Caps please get rid of Erksine already!!! The Caps finally get a chance to get out of the PK, then back to 5 on 3. That guy just is stupid -- dumb penalties, ugh!

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Keef -- agreed, Backs looks very tenative, won't shoot, and slow out there. Just give Erksine his pink slip now. Oh, and Clark looks way off still.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the comments about Erskine. I love the guys brawn and hard play...but he takes SO many stupid penalties. And he's so slow. I can't get over that PP, ugh. Theodore has looked strong though...hopefully we can get out of this next 5-3 at least tied.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 21, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

That was a stink-call by mccreary.... the porn-star-stache strikes once again.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

JIM

you may be on to something there, trade 4Erskine while Sloan is with the team???

Posted by: i hate puppies | October 21, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

the caps are obviously not doing enough work on their 9 minute pp setup.

tyler sloan, great hit. glad they didnt give him the obligatory even up penalty.

what is bertuzzi doing still playing this game. if i were commish, he would have been banished forever along w/ mcsorley.

is their a better coach to beat than mike keenan?

jose theodore has arrived.

the last penalty on erskine was a joke.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 21, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Revolting.

Clark and Backs are going to need to sit if this keeps up.

Posted by: Chris A | October 21, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@diehardcapsfan: Wait, what? Another Middle-Eastern girl hockey fan?? I thought I was the only one! now I'm going to have an identity crisis o_O

Posted by: honed | October 21, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm born to blog from the the locker room.

Papa Schultz, das Führer of Capitals defense.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | October 21, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

This is just ludicrous

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Seriously. Did anyone not see that coming?

Jesus we're sucking tonight.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, hopefully this gets us playin' just some hockey.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

If I drank, I'd be crying in my beer right now....

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

1 down and 3 to go! Way to go JT.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Theo's finally getting back to the consistent play he's been showing us.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Did the Caps go out drinking last night? They look terrible.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I know we can come back, but tonight, I'm not sure we deserve to...

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

What a strange game. Don't worry folks, we're coming back in this one.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Good job team.

1) Cant score on 9 min of man advantage
2) Get a penalty on 9 min of man advantage
3) Get penalties
4) Get penalties
5) Keep getting penalties
6) Double-U Tee Eff

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey ZOO - what did I tell you JT sucks and George is bonehead GM of the year.

Panic george panic.

Kozzy love sucks

Did you really think we would be that good?

Hey Zoo SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Greg: I like your confidence, I sure hope you're right :)

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 21, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

ok were down a goal. now we can start skating.

Posted by: pch49 | October 21, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I can watch the rest of this game. We suck. We deserve to lose this game.

When are the Caps going to learn how to:
1) Score on the PP
2) Not take stupid penalties
3) Clear the puck

???

The entire team needs to get it together.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 21, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Why are you crying about Theodore? The Caps have been on the PK for 9+ minutes... 5 of those have been 2 man advantage.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

jt lets in a softie then another goal as we get caught in the offensive zone when we are on the pk green is horrible but so is the rest of our d...none of them can skate

Posted by: wendel | October 21, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

At least were playing well now

Posted by: Hensmith | October 21, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

2 down 2 to go -- me me spot on how bout you guys?

Wait stoppage in play have to go make a swiss cheese sandwich.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Swiss Cheese, shut up. Not a single one of your all too numerous posts has contained any semblance of a constructive thought. Nobody gives a crap what you think about anything, because you obviously know nothing about hockey. JT60 is playing rather well tonight, he's made several big saves. You, however, are incapable of seeing anything other that what your pathetic conception of reality wants to see.

Now please, go home. Crawl back under whatever rock you came from. You're wasting everyone's time.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

what happened on to get the 9 minute PP, i looked at the scoresheet but it doesn't really indicate what actually happened

Posted by: renstar | October 21, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

renster - Sloan decked someone and they retaliated... pretty simple, but surprised we got that many minutes...

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

@renstar:

5 for throwing punches, 2 for instigating (Sloan didn't retaliate), and two for unsportsmanlike for fighting with a visor on.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Murshawursha,

He is just a lonely poor man who has no one. Just one of those idiots that tries to get attention.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Another penalty.

Someone please pass the vodka.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Not again, jeez.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

me me spot on - two more goals let in by JT and I win again.

drink another beer don't forget to set the alarm and god please don't call in sick. My social security check depends on it.

There you go we cheat and the refs see it. Can't stay out of the box this year to save us.

By the way saw Kozzy at Jack in the Box this afternoon.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

these refs are junk

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Along with Chief, we have to put Swiss Cheese is an idiot everytime a new blog starts.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

tuned in after the 9 min incident and have not heard an explanation as yet.. what happened?

Posted by: jim* | October 21, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Sloan looks pretty good.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought there was a rule against refereeing while drunk.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

What the heck are these guys thinking? Is there a nice magazine collection in the PK box?

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Am I allowed to say the F word here?

Cause it applies to Bill McCreary.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

If I were BB, I would being blowing a gasket right about now. This parade to the penalty box has got to stop. Insane!

Posted by: tess | October 21, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Man-o-man-o-shevats.

Little bit of self destruction going on.

Posted by: nadir | October 21, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Cant blame the refs, we should have scored 3+ goals when we were on the 9 min PP. That would put us at 4-2 right now.

Jim, Murshawursha explained the 9 min PP above.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@JIM

Sloan laid a guy out flat on his back, then rene bourque and someone else came over and tried to jump him, 5 minute fighting, 2 minute unsportsmanlike, 2 minute instigator

Posted by: Hensmith | October 21, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

There they go again another penalty.

Anyone think JT will let in another one? Absolutely we do me and the Cheddar!

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"you guys are playing like its a throw away game up in Rochester."

Herb Brooks

Posted by: pch49 | October 21, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

BB has got to settle these guys down during the next intermission.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

At least we are getting some practice on the PK.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst game I've seen from the Caps in a long time. Very undisciplined.

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Is Keenan bl@wing McCreary or what?

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

828, haha. too true.

Just caught up to the game. Oy! But what a hit by Sloan. Theo looks much more comfortable than he has in the past.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

We cant be crying about all of this. It is what it is... down by 1. Should be up big or down big, but the Caps are down by 1.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Agree...refs are garbage. Just missed 5 seconds worth of too many men on the ice for Calgary. We HAVE to stop taking stupid penalties though.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 21, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

4 of the penalties legit, 4 bogus. and what about that too many men on ice against Calgary. just call it fair...is that too much to ask?

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

and the ZOO thought we were good. We got many many problems and the ZOO's emotion shows it. Get down on them homes.

It's 11:00 time for Channel 4 news and weather. Speaking of weather how is the weather in the chat room? Little hot and humid I would say.

Can I take another penalty please. In a few I'm going to let you in on a big secret.

SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: JT's SWISS CHEESE FACTORY | October 21, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I hate to watch a team totally self destruct like this. It's like watching poachers club baby seals to death!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 21, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

4 bogus? they showed replays of all the penalty's and they all happened. Not sure why people are complaining about refs when it is the Caps causeing the penalty's

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Finally a chance for the good guys on the power play.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 21, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Bout time

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

pp 4 the Caps!! it's a miracle!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Hahahah - Joe B couldn't even keep himself from laughing when last mentioning the 8 straight Caps penalties.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

How can they not call Laich for belly bumping that guys stick?

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Self Destructing is losing by 8, kinda like the 10-2 win we had against Boston. We are down by 1... Could tie it up here with a Semin goal.

Swiss cheese is a moron, but I really think he is chief.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

McCreary does hate the Caps... anyone remember that hipcheck he put on ShaMo in the... Either Columbus or St. Louis game last year?

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Why are you cheering us having a PP?

We score 5v5.

Posted by: keef | October 21, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

be right back....need to puke.

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Bruce is gonna chew some heineys. We got this.

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

BB will change the lines back... seems like he has to.

Swiss Cheese puts cheese all over him and lets his dog lick it off!

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

This is actually sorta like watching the "Mites on Ice" at the VC. Entertaining somehow, yet horrible as far as "actual hockey" goes.

828, I doubt Swiss Cheesie is Chief. Chief at least sometimes makes sense.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or are there a lot of OT/SO games this year already?

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else completely disgusted with how inept our power play is??? The whole team looks pretty awful tonight, but the power play has been laughable.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 21, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from Mickey D's and sitting here with the Koz.

What do you think Koz of the game so far?

Well Swiss -- hey you took my large fries and I told you I didn't want an apple pie.

Koz you have to relax a little. How is the knee?

What knee I don't have a hurt.

You faking it Koz?

shh don't tell anyone but Coah Voodoo makes me go into the corners and it scares me. I don't want to get injured with this being contract year. Me Koz no dummy.

Posted by: JT's SWISS CHEESE FACTORY | October 21, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

NHL Hockey Fights: Visors and the Unsportsmanlike Conduct Rule

Rather ironic excerpt:
"I can’t recall this penalty ever being called. It is contingent on a player being tagged with the instigator penalty first. With the fighting major and unsportsmanlike tacked on that would add up to nine minutes. Something that is rarely seen on a scoring summary."

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

828

It is so obviously chief. I just ignore the clueless morons like that.

Self destructing is also unable to stop the steady parade to the box, and not being able to connect on passes. If they keep it up it's going to end up being 10-2... They need to settle down, find their stride and get back in the game. You're right, they're only down by one but they need to get their heads in the game.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 21, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Swiss Cheese is an idiot.

Wait. Only to start a new thread or at random points would that be appropriate?

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I agree, all those penalties looked legit...lazy by Feds, stupid by Clark, careless by Mo...you see a trend?

Posted by: Caps Fan1111 | October 21, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Awful period. Totally jobbed on about half those calls. And Steckel's play, while cool, was boneheaded. For those of you who demand "by the book" officiating, this is what it looks like. Yuck.

Swiss Cheese isn't Chief. I think he uses the free broadband provided to the insane at St. Elizabeth's.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 21, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

The ZOO crys foul (you bad ref) and the Cheddar rips a big ol fart. Gotta stop eating the cheese.

It's 11:13 have you set the alarm yet?

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Can you start a new thread?

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

You think breaking up the Semin, Nyls, and Laich line is looking good now? However, not a fair statement as like no one has had anytime to play with all the PIMS

Posted by: CapsFan1111 | October 21, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

"We need 100% of the players to give 110% 100% of the time"

Posted by: BBs pep talk | October 21, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Laich may be the only redeeming quality of this game. He seems to like the ice in the Saddledome.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

@SteveR: it can replace "first"

Posted by: honed | October 21, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

828,

What sucks is that a new thread will be started and some donkey will say "first" instead of either "Chief sucks" or "swiss cheese is an idiot"

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

Totally agree with you on Brooks...hustling all over the place.

Posted by: CapsFan1111 | October 21, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

10 bucks says Swiss Cheesie is Flyers fan. His team sucks so he has to come here and try to be funny. Dungeen of Doom!!!
I just said he was Chief because of the GMGM comment, but you are right, Chief is some what respectable... he has his moments. My question, why do people waste their time to go against the grain and be obnoxious? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

The Secret: No ficking discipline. Coach Voodoo has lost control kind of like Wade Phillips.

Any idiot (right Jimbob) could see that the lead up to this game was a complete disaster with all the george chess moves. george vs. his alter ego.

Yeah baby.

This is worse than the Titanic.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

My girlfriend just asked, "Who are they playin'?" I go, "The Calgary Flames." She goes, "Sounds gay."

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, our PP has made me break out the beer.

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Comparing a game to thousands of people dying?

I bet you think Mickey Mouse is real.

Keep it up and Santa Claus wont be getting you anything for Christmas.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The zoo is where my mom lives

I eat cheese on my blue powdered corn bran muffins every third night after the first full moon yet you all scoff.wE WiLl SeE Who IS a terrible lizard at the end of their reign in the rain in spain. and that is the prophecy set forth by those who art tho within as we look not onto others but into the mirror of the righteous and pure. I like eggs they are a delight by the full tempered steel of the bon fire in the loins of the beast! cheese is the way of the glory of the light!

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

She's not a hockey fan, she's a fashion designer, so she knows. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,
I'm there too...

Caps win by 2. Semin and Laich with goals... Ovechkin with an empty netter.

Consider it done.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I got it. Swiss Cheese is Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Either that or Ronald McDonald trying to sell some burgers.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

he's saying dumb things and shooting from the hip? Swiss Cheese has to by Biden.

And that was the worst (and only) nine minute power play i can remember watching.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 21, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

and lindberger cheese is obama bin biden, smelly and useless

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Waiting waiting oh there it is whoop there it is there it whoop there it is -- NUMBER 333333333333333333333333333333333.

okay now if you are in the camp of having to get up at 4:30 a.m. to get to work by 7 a.m. then you are LUCKY!

SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i just soiled myself

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, come on -- stop trying to help the Flames

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps can stay out of the box maybe, just maybe, we can pull this out.

What in tarnation is wrong with Mike Green? Too much home cooking?

Posted by: Kim | October 21, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm needing a fresh beer. The choice is either:

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout
or
Brooklyn Brewing Co's Choc Stout

I'm leaning toward Brooklyn because of the higher %.

Cheese is still an idiot

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Really!!?

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

WTF

Posted by: JIM | October 21, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Trying to make an impression on the girlfriend in the suite? :/ I'd be more impressed if he stayed out of the box, personally. Maybe scored a goal.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

WE SUCK. CHeaters cheaters swiss cheese eaters.

Now who waited all day to get dissapointed. Bet ya couldn't work you were so excited. Come on admit it.

It's 11:32 did you set the alarm or grab another beer and cold slice of pizza?

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say I think Flash has been one of the better players for the Caps tonight.

Posted by: tess | October 21, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Jurina clears the zone like a Mite!

Posted by: TJ2 | October 21, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

You should not be saying WE - you are nothing... well, maybe the poop that never flushes... you know what Im talking about.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

JUST HEARD THAT THE ZOO WILL BE FEATURED BY JOHN STEWART TOMORROW! Catch the action at 8.

Who do you think is going to win the series.

Time running out -- almost time to go to bed mad (at the wife, the caps, kids, work, etc.)

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

OK, let's stay out of the box, hmm?

Think it with me: OUT OF THE BOX!

%^&!%@^&$%!($

Posted by: i rock the red | October 21, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

JT is having a solid game.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

as brutal as this game has been, caps are only down by one. score the next goal, and we can win it. just stay out of the box!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Swiss should buy a Sloan Flushmate if he has a poop problem.

Posted by: Little Bunny Foo Foo | October 21, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

Go with the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. It's better than last year's and you're right, the alcohol content makes this travesty much easier to swallow.

That and Old Dominion has never been the same since Budweiser bought them.

Posted by: Mr Z | October 21, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how swiss feels being one upped by whiz on Philly cheese steaks

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

828, I agree. Jose has done pretty well tonight. The score could certainly be worse.
Laich is playing well in both zones and Flash seems to have turned a corner in his development. Maybe those 8 pounds really did something.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm goin' Victory Hop Devil. It can't hurt.

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Come on, cheese in a can kicks swiss's a@@ on a regular basis. I'm just sayin.

I opted for the Brooklyn stout. It is a seriously good beer.

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if it is the game or the time, but I am falling asleep ... zzzzz ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Here we go...

WE ARE DUE!

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Here we go.

Posted by: kevbpgc | October 21, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

It's awefully quiet is everyone pensive or just drunk?

Are we just diehard fans or what?

Posted by: Little Bunny Foo Foo | October 21, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
You a fan of squeezie cheese?

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Is OV ever going to score again. Should we be worried.

Posted by: Little Buuny Foo Foo | October 21, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Semin scores now.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Little Buuny Foo Foo:
Nah, he's all washed up ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

828,

Yeah, Cheese is Caps Suck or whatever the fug he/she/it calls itself today.

Get up for work? Is keeping a cot warm at the homeless shelter a job for you cheese?

Sad.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

GREEN IS A WASTE!!!!!

Posted by: 555 | October 21, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

with all that star power on offense, heads should be rolling on the piss poor pp of late.

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Not really Boo, it's just that Swiss sucks

Posted by: Steve R | October 21, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

At some point, it's coaching.

Posted by: Chris A | October 21, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd take a good can of Easy Cheeze over Swiss any day. Swiss is too bitter and tasteless for my palate.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
That's too bad - I was going to get you some to go with your beer! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

okay everyone it is 11:50 and you have to get up early. Don't forget to set the alarm and have sweet dreams.

Can't wait for the next game. When is that by the way?

Gotta go poop all the cheese out.

JT let in a softy and that is the difference.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I think it's past the boys' bedtime ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Nighty night sleep tight glad you could stay up and watch JT lose the game tonight.

Remember ZOO without a solid goalie we are average. Look what is happening to OV. Look what is happening to the poer play.

11:53 toss and turn - gosh darn Caps

I should have never had that last beer. Burp!

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't know what hockey game Swiss Cheese is watching... There was no softie tonight. Jose's been good, as a matter of fact.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 21, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Kids, try to stop feeding the troll.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 21, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Your boss isn't going to be happy tomorrow when you tell him that you stayed up late to watch the &@*$&$ Caps lose.

Gosh darn it my damn alarm didn't go off. The Cheese warned me it would be a tough night.

They SUCK!

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

The first one was iffy

Posted by: Chris A | October 21, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Im glad we have JT. If we lose, it's the penalties. Maybe its Kolzig?

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, no leftovers for the troll.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 21, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, that settles it....Feds can play ANY position.

Posted by: tess | October 21, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Stand up if you are a Jose Lover. Better yet pull down your trousers if you are a Kozzy lover.

JT did it.

Losers.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 21, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Good grief ... and good night!

Posted by: Boo! | October 21, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

JT is awesome... Great Game... Best Game as a Cap.

Posted by: 828 | October 21, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

every 5 on 3 we have gotten we have deserved how can u blame the refs for our undisciplined penalties??
we are playing dumb and without discipline

Posted by: wendel | October 21, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

wake-up call: you aren't as invincible as the media paints you. go old skool, and grind out some wins.

Posted by: cbs | October 21, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Wooooow. That was not good. Glad I don't have class til noon tomorrow.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 21, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

DEFLATION is all around. Deflation to the pillow boys. The girls left second period. You know beauty sleep.

Should be a quiet one tomorrow. Good thing cause we don't want to OVERTHINK the game eh hockey gurus?

Nigh night sleep tight don't let the Cap blues bite.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 22, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

anyway to see BBs press conference?

Posted by: Chris A | October 22, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Swiss Cheese, you may want to go to the doctor tomorrow. May have cancer.

Posted by: Broseph | October 22, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

For all you beer drinking drunks let's stay up with the Cheddar and watch sports night on Comcast!

Yeah baby.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 22, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Wow, 11 games into the season in North America, you'd figure that people would have a little perspective.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 22, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

what an embarassment this team is in real trouble if it cnat perfrom any better than that

Posted by: wendel | October 22, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Cancer? Oh you mean't constipation. That happens on CHEESE nights.

Wakey wakey

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 22, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

what an embarassment!!!!! this team is in real trouble if it cant perform any better than that.

Posted by: wendel | October 22, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we need a team meeting.

Think the boys need to take a deep breath and get back to playing hockey. None of the players have family in Phoenix do they?

That was disappointing. Too many penalties. Not enough taking advantage of the other team's too many penalties. What is with all of the passing on the PP? Who are we trying to get a secondary assist? Just shoot the puck.

Truthfully, I think the guys just need to relax and quit buying into all of the pressure that "having to succeed" is generating. Just play. They are good. Will play well. They will win. Just quit trying to force everything.

Posted by: Kim | October 22, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

WOW, I saw a better performance in Hershey Sat nite & I am sure that I will see a much better performance in Johnstown Fri nite. The only player who seemed to play well, was Laich & JT before & after their first goal. No defence--lousy passing & horrible shooting. The defence-----CRAP.

Posted by: Sidehillman | October 22, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Is this the same team that decimated Vancouver?

Posted by: Chris A | October 22, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

The sky is falling. Oh no Mr. Bill why can't I sleep. I'm so upset that we lost. Just wrecks havoc on my sleep when we play out west.

Damn it is all JT's fault.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 22, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

If Viktor is not ready to go in Phoenix, does Laich get the top line chance? I like him with Semin and Nick, but he really has earned top line (at wing not center).

Posted by: Kim | October 22, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Can we just get the freaking troll banned already?!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 22, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

With Coach Kim at the helm I'm out for tonight gotta get up at 4:30 big day tomorrow at the Cheese factory.

The Cheese

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 22, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

One more time from the Goffblog:

"*FYI, beginning early next week, lnsider loyalists will need to register with washingtonpost.com in order to submit comments. All Post blogs are affected. The purpose is to block spammers and deter unsavory comments, particularly in the political discussions."

Posted by: Section 117 | October 22, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

ugh...2 losses in a row to 2 teams we should've beaten. Way to go Caps.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 22, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Why do I always lose?

Posted by: Joe the Plumber and Caps Fan | October 22, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

JT's fault. what? good game Jose, there is not many goalies Inginla hasnt scored that exact goal on, its just like OV with all the space in the world to wind up and fire and if greenie gets the puck through and doesnt force it lombardi never has that chance. i still like johnny between the pipes but Jose played well my fellow caps fans.

Posted by: capsHSC | October 22, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know why Jay Leach is still around? Or Dean Evason?

Posted by: mcphail | October 22, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I have seen a 9 minute power play ever assessed. I knew right then that if we did not put at least one and preferably two on the board, we were toast. I also new that Calgary would get the next couple of makeup calls. Sure enough, the makeup calls started to the tune of 8 in a row against Washington. That certainly evened things up and then some. Sad the game had to turn into a parade of pathetic PP's on display on both sides. I think all the fans here and in Calgary were robbed of watching a good hockey game tonight.

Skreech...soap box put away