Morning Skate Update (Update)

No surprises this morning -- if you don't count Shaone Morrisonn firing a slap shot in my direction, knocking my coffee off the dasher boards and putting a star crack in the notoriously weak plexi glass here at KCI.

Otherwise, the biggest development was that Tomas Fleischmann and Sergei Fedorov remain on track to return this weekend, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. Looks like both could be back for Friday's game against the Blue Jackets.

When Fedorov (and his $4 million salary) comes off LTIR, the Caps will have to make a roster move in order to keep defenseman Karl Alzner in Washington. It could make for a very tough decision for GM George McPhee. Fedorov is a legend, and when he was healthy earlier this season, he was nearly a point per game player (four goals, eight assists in 15 games).

But Alzner has made a strong case to spend the rest of the season in Washington. The rookie defenseman has led the Caps' blue liners in ice time in eight games and skated more than 20 minutes in 12 of them. He's also been one of their most consistent players, and consistency is what separates a prospect from a player.

"That situation hasn't arrived yet, so I don't want to address it yet," Boudreau said.

Some other quick notes and quotes from this morning:

*John Erskine (concussion) continues to practice and appears to be ready to return. But he is still waiting for medical clearance, which, of course, means he remains on LTIR. Perhaps because it's his second concussion in two seasons, the Caps are being extra cautious.

*As I'm sure you are aware by now, the Eastern Conference All-Star team will be announced by the NHL on Thursday. So who will join Alex Ovechkin? Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin, Boudreau?

My bet is that I'll be covering Ovechkin, Green (who leads all NHL defensemen with 0.96 points per game) and Boudreau in Montreal later this month. We'll know for sure in a couple of days.

*Jose Theodore, meantime, will start in goal tonight against the banged-up Flyers.

*The Flyers, indeed, have injury issues. But don't look to the Caps for any sympathy.

"They've got a lot of injuries on their team," Boudreau said. "That's what the newspapers keep saying. But they're not talking how many injuries we had when we played them. Poor Philly."

*As for Morrisonn spilling my coffee (and nearly causing me to have a heart attack), the polite young defenseman has offered to buy me a Starbuck's tomorrow. We'll see about that.

"If I score tonight, we're going to do that every morning," Morrisonn cracked. "It wasn't that hard. That glass is weak. I saw you sleeping there, and there's a big game tonight, so I just wanted to wake you up."

Well, I'm definitely wide awake now.

Update:Latest word from the Flyers' camp is that Martin Biron will start in goal (Antero Niittymaki is out with a groin pull). Simon Gagne and Darroll Pow are expected to suit up, while Joffrey Lupul, Danny Briere and Claude Giroux are out. Arron Asham is questionable.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 6, 2009; 11:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Stevens Reponds To Boudreau

Comments

Wake up people!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see TSN.ca's NHL poll question?

as it stands right now:

What was the biggest hockey story of 2008?

The year of Ovechkin - 30%

Brian Burke joins the Leafs - 12%

The outburst of head shots - 6%

Sean Avery’s antics - 24%

The Sundin saga - 27%

Posted by: sirbobalew | January 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom deserves an All-Star nod too.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Looking Ahead: Real Good News (update)

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabers (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run...

GMGM and Coach need to encourage ample time off for our injured to get healthy. No need to rush Feds back.

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 6, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

ShaMo is always such a nice guy, or at least he has been in my experience.

I think everyone, both Caps and fans, is more than ready for tonight's game. Less than 7 hours to go! I'm stoked. I can't wait to celebrate a Caps win tonight! Woohoo.

...Now if only there were some way to speed up time so it'd be closer to puck drop.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | January 6, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The coffee story is hilarious, glad those boys are keeping you on your toes Tarik! But did I read your comments right which seem to imply they are considering trading fedorov to keep alzner up??? That cannot be true! Please say its not true, i'd rather give up half our roster than give up Feds, even if he is injured I can get you he's teaching semin a thing or two about coming back from injuries!

Posted by: finnmeg | January 6, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Hope Asham is in tonight...would like to see some payback for his cowardly slash to Brashear.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Asham better hope that he's not able to make it tonight or he may have to answer to # 87

Posted by: Don-Ald | January 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

IMO - We need to keep Feds - great player still and would be ideal on and off the ice come playoff time.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Any coincidence that Asham is questionable? Considering Brash would gladly drop him tonight....

Posted by: jerry2178 | January 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm well awake.

Posted by: saintex | January 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Not trading Fedorov, but they they may have to send down Alzner until they can figure out how to carve some room out under the cap.

Posted by: el_bashir | January 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Alzner should forfeit his contract and play for the "Love of the Game."

Posted by: SA-Town | January 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@windjammersouth - Maybe you could update that with our record? That would make it relevant...

Re: Bottles - As I said in the last post, my status as a "mom" has nothing to do with why I'm saying not to throw bottles.

Throwing bottles is not only classless, if they hit and hurt someone, it can count as assault. I have already seen Rags fans escorted out of the building for this offense. Seeing our own fans escorted out would NOT be cool at ALL.

ROCK THE RED, BOYS AND GIRLS!

@Tarik - If you talk to the booth, please, please ask them NOT to play the "VICTORY!!!" clip unless it's the last two minutes and we're up by an insurmountable lead? That thing makes me nervous in a one-or-two point game like the Rangers game was!!!

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!

UNLEASH THE RED!!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 6, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If Backstrom doesn't get an All-Star bid, I will kick every Montreal fan in the nuts when I'm up there on Saturday for the Caps game. Kovalev and Tanguay over Backstrom? Really you morons?

And Alzner ain't going anywhere. Something has got to give.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 6, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

ROTFL on the coffee story, Tarik. :D What did you have your coffee on the dasherboard for, anyway?

@lylewimbledon: Me too. I'd adore seeing Brash trash the guy for that. Will it happen, possibly not. Is Hartnell playing tonight?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 6, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope Asham plays tonight too.

Backstrom deserves to be an All-Star, but that ASG voting stuff may rob him of a spot.

Speaking of scripts, can someone write me a code to block windjammersouth's pointless posts? :)

Posted by: Cerealman | January 6, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Tarik was referring to getting rid of Feds to keep Alzer. I think he just ment when Feds returns the Caps are going to have a tough decision on how to keep Alzner up with the Caps. Which could mean loosing another person to make room, not Feds, he is not sure who just making a statement.

Posted by: HBFan | January 6, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Who do you get rid of to keep Alzner?

Clark...any d-man but Green and Poti...Fehr...Nylander...

thoughts?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey us guys in Hershey would LOVE to have Alzner back even if its just for a few games...LOL

Posted by: HBFan | January 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

TEB - do you have the line-up?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Now that Mo has revealed that he has an accurate shot, is more than 1-2 goals a year too much to ask for?

Posted by: Steve_R | January 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

BB I think its trying to stir the pot..He should probably just focus on coaching.
Of course nobody in Philly was talking about injuries to the Caps 2 weeks ago. That is not their concern. I dont think the Flyers expect anyone to talk about their injuries either.

Heck, all we read about in the Washington media about injury and how ridiculous the situation was. So yes, Philly is going to talk about their injuries just as we did here.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Nylander but Fedorov's ankle is no sure thing. Clark is the next logical choice but a) McPhee likes him and will probably let him get healthy, b) who would take him? and c) he plays with a mean streak that no one else on the roster does. That will be invaluable come playoff time, just you watch.

So that leaves someone like ShaMo, who is probably gone after this season anyways...but if I were McPhee I'd be worried about the effect that could have on the locker room.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

TEB - do you have the line-up?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

As i was waiting for the morning update, I wondered if Tarik slept in today. guess that answers my question haha

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 6, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Just received the game notes.

Hartnell is on the list for the Flyers.
Asham is NOT.

They are listing:

G: Biron, Munroe

D: Kukkonen, Coburn, Jones, Vaananen, Carle, Alberts, Timonen, Sbisa

L: Upshall, Gagne, Hartnell, Gratton, Cote, Kalinski

R: Nodl, Knuble, Giroux

C: Metroploit, Carter, Richards, Powe

@Tarik - Is it weird for a team to have six left wings and only 3 right?

Other stuff:

Brooks Laich has 99 points, and is 1 away from the 100 milestone.

Mike Green has 97 points, and is 3 away from the 100 milestone.

Alex Ovechkin is 10 goals shy of 200.

Posted by: irockthered | January 6, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

This is a little bit off-topic but is a question for the board.

Does anyone know how many 1st round draft picks the Caps have for the 2009 draft? Just wondering if we need to be concerned with some other team's record and potential draft position for the upcoming draft.

Thanks.

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

there is a shortage of natural RW compared to natural LW. most of a time, a forward is a forward and can play either.

the caps also have more LW's.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all2000 - BB's point is that the Flyers not only beat us, they went for humiliation, playing their top line forwards and defensemen when we'd pulled ours to avoid injury. Now the situations are reversed...

Probably good Asham *IS* out of the lineup. I'm not sure the ice resurfacer can deal with the wet meaty splat Brashear would have made of him if he played...

Posted by: irockthered | January 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm home from grad school, visiting my parents for the week... and they surprised me at the airport with tickets for tonight's game!

Only problem... I don't have a single piece of red clothing here. ::headdesk:: Plenty of blue and white, but no red.

Posted by: theGelf | January 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@ irtr

I wouldnt put too much stock into the positions of those game notes.

Last game Philly had Sbisa and Kukkonen playing up front and Gratton sat on the bench hurt too and didnt take a shift in the game but was there if needed on a pk or something.

Also, apparently Hartnell is playing with a broken toe.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

AO will finally get to 200 tonight. Phew!

Posted by: saintex | January 6, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

also, earlier phillys had a D on a wing.

i beieve goligoski in pittsburg (a D man) is also playing a wing now.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess there's no way to read this column other than as implying that the Caps may be shopping Fedorov to make room for Alzner. But the Caps really should be trying to get whatever they can, even if it's almost nothing, for Morrisson.

Morrisson is currently in NINTH amongst Capitals defensemen in +/-. He was one of the worst Caps' defensemen last year in that stat. He gets almost no points. From watching him, I think he's OK, but not much better than that, and certainly not worth the 2 million dollars he's making. He's worth about a third of that.

The Caps wouldn't get much in trade because of Morrisson's salary, but the fact that his contract expires at the end of this season may help a bit, since the team getting him could clear up that cap space for next season.

And since Fedorov is mostly used as a forward, it makes more sense that Morrisson would be traded to make room for the defenseman Alzner.

Nylander will be too difficult to get rid of. He is not playing very well right now and his contract is too long plus I think he has some kind of no-trade provision.

Fedorov is still a good player, in my view. It would be a shame to let him go, unless of course we can get something even more valuable in trade that will help us this season and next. That's the one thing about trading Fedorov--he's actually a valuable commodity who is arguably worth the money he's making, which is not really something that can be said for Morrisson and his bloated salary.

This year or next, the Caps will be in the finals. Mark my words. I hope we have enough by then to win that series once we're there.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@theGelf

Take the Metro to Ballston and head to the Caps/Pro shop at Kettler...they have everything you need, and more.

Posted by: saintex | January 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I dislike hartnell very much - that is as polite and as clean as I can keep it!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 6, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik just said not trading Federov but maybe sending Alzner down till they figure things out.

Posted by: HBFan | January 6, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread someone has asked opinions on Della Rovere: I did see our prospect, Della Rovere, a few times. I didn't catch last night's game but am not surprised to hear him compared to Avery. I honestly expected more because I thought he was selected as an OHL player of the month not too long ago. He was a dirty player in my opinion and I was not impressed at all.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 6, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

TEB

Your coffee license is revoked! How dare you let go of your coffee like that!

Very funny stuff! Need that on a dreary day like today.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 6, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Come on Tarik,

You're a porfessional hockey writer, you should know better than to put your cup on the boards. Its like in my glass seats when the corporate bozos next to me put their beers on the boards during the game. Splash!

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 6, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: Della Rovere

I don't know if I'd go so far as to compare him to Sean Avery (maybe that's because my hate of Sean Avery eclipses everything else in this universe). But watching the WJCs he was definitely taking a ton of stupid penalties and trying to fulfill his role as a pest.

But he was after all an OHL player of the week a couple months back and he had a fair number of goals (I don't know if that's the result of playing awful teams), but one of my Canadian friends tells me that he's one of those players that can do very well when he puts his mind to it and tries.

I think it's too early to write him off just yet. He's tiny but he's a powerhouse on the ice. He just needs to be shaped and refined a bit, and since he's only 18 (?) hopefully there's lots of time for that. Plus, you can tell he wants it.

I don't know. I'm rooting for him. (Hopefully though he can stick to that New Year's Resolution and stop taking these idiotic and unnecessary penalties...)

Posted by: InSEMINator | January 6, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I dislike Hartnell and Upshall a lot.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 6, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The injury bug has now come to Hershey. Beagle, Grant Mcniell, Josh Godfrey, Bouchard, Brennan and Laing are all hurt. Laing took a puck when he blocked a shot and maybe ok to play Wednesday.

Posted by: HBFan | January 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Morrisonn probably read your blog yesterday and saw how many jokers in the comment section wanted to trade him.

Posted by: stormblue | January 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich has 99 points, and is 1 away from the 100 milestone.

Mike Green has 97 points, and is 3 away from the 100 milestone.

Alex Ovechkin is 10 goals shy of 200.

Posted by: irockthered | January 6, 2009 12:33 PM

Let's hope they all reach these milestones tonight.

Posted by: CBT2 | January 6, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I strongly dislike Hartnell and Upshall.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 6, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Also Neuvirth is hurt in South Carolina, maybe that means the injury bug has worked its way down the line and the Caps/Bears/Rays will be healthly the rest of the season.

Posted by: HBFan | January 6, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Tarik, thanks for the great story in the Post this a.m., especially the lovely treatment my neighbors impose on most teams of all sports who visit Philly. As a long time Caps fan exiled in Philly, I'm thrilled every time that their raunchy, classless behavior gets exposed (funny, you don't read about it in the Philly or S. Jersey press). Keep up the good work, and go Caps!

Posted by: bucknelldad | January 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know where I can find an Ovechkin jersey in Toddler sizes? I have been searching everywhere online and have found NOTHING. I'm in New York, so I'm looking for some place I can order online or by phone.

Posted by: ebberger | January 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

The Capitals are favored to win tonight. They are currently -160 (or 5 to 8), which means the oddsmakers think a Caps victory is somewhat likely.

I know it's mostly because Caps are at home and that the oddsmakers are really just saying that the Capitals are only a tiny bit better, but that's hard to believe after the 7-1 spanking. But Caps did outplay them for I think about the first half of that game.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@ebberger

www.Rivercitysports.com

Did carry toddler sizes.

Posted by: HBFan | January 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

You have to admit, if it were our fans out there doing that to the Flyers, we would be laughing.

If you look at the history of Philly teams, every building their teams play in is a hard place to play because of the fans. I remember watching something about the old Broad Street Bully days..i cant remember who..but one of the old Boston players said that each time their bus pulled up to the spectrum guys suddenly got sick or had magical injuries because they didnt want to play in the building.

Our place is a tough one to play in, but far from a scary one to play in. Id love it if the booth was a fearful place to step into.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Chris Clark needs to go in my opinion. Has done nothing for his salary in two years and we need that space. Tough to trade an over paid non producing player though.

Posted by: d99gr81 | January 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@Mreily9

That is what I found just doing a quick search. I think as of now the Caps only have 1 pick, and that would be their own.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

i am inclined to believe that site is accurate because they did track the Sharks trading their first to Tampa who traded it to Ottawa.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 6, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Can someone help me figure out the cap issue. Since Feds makes 4 mill and Alzner makes 1.4ish shouldn't every day Feds was on the LTIR count as 2.8 days that Alzner can stay up? Also for every day Clark was on LTIR at $2.5 should create padding for Alzner to stay up for a while?

I realize other minor leagues where chewing this up with the rash of injuries but shouldn't there be some gap for a while for Alzner to stay? Or am I missing something?

Posted by: erik4 | January 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Sitting Poti on LTIR should give us time to keep Alzner for a bit. I hope Poti a speedy recovery, but if his Groin is anything like Clarkie's last year, he could be out for a while.

ShaMoo is still a RFA next season, which means as long as we tender him, we'll get something in return if he leaves. The value of his contract gives us quite a few good draft picks. There is no rush to trade him.

Trading someone like Nyls would put us in a precarious position at center. Sure, we're deep at C, but we're 3rd/4th line C deep, not 1st/2nd line deep. With Feds' ankle this year, I don't know how much we can trust him to be our long-term 2nd C for the rest of the season. Trade of Nyls and injury to Feds (or Backstrom) would force us to use either Laich, Steckel or Kozzie as 2nd line C.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@theGelf - Not to worry. I'm sure the team store and souvenir stands will be open for business when you get there. You would do yourself well to buy an Ovechkin t-shirt to take back to grad school :-)

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

erik4

Placing a player on LTIR gives you 0 cap "benefit." As in, you don't get the difference in available space. Once you are over, you are over. You can fill up to the LTIR player's salary over the cap, but what you don't use of LTIR player's salary, you don't get back as space you can use later.

Pothier's situation is a little different cause he went into camp unable to play. Exactly how it's different, that's for GMGM to know and us to ponder about.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy

Thanks for the link to the draft site!

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

stormblue: I posted yesterday and I'll post today, trading Morrisonn might be a good move to keep Alzner.

And, I'm not a joker.

I full realize you can send Alzner to Hershey, the Caps will still very likely win the SE by 15 pts or so, and then Alzner comes up end of year or for Playoffs when there's no cap.

Alzner though IMHO has been the best positional defenseman this team has had since maybe Calle Johansson. If you watch him he has his face and body turned a certain way, his stick held a certain way, like he had a very good coach and listened to every word. Plus Alzner has had, seemingly, a very good effect on Jurcina.

Alzner is +7 in 18 games, a better ratio than any D-man on the team except for Green.

If you would rather keep Mo and send Alzner down, I'll respect your judgment on that. My judgment is different.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

erik4 cont RE: Pothier

Then again, his situation may not be different, and at the start of the season, when we were @600-700k under the cap, we may have been 600-700k under Pothier's LTIR exemption, which would have put us 1.9ish over the cap but OK under LTIR exemption. Who knows. Like TEB said in one of his recent chats, anyone who claims to know where the caps stand re: the cap is full of it ;-).

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 6, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Dude,
You should know better than to put your coffee there.

You'd probably put your beer there in the first row if you were ever at a game as a fan.

You deserve to lose your coffee.

Posted by: no_private_info | January 6, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@theGelf- since you're a grad student your probably in debt up to your eyeballs. You don't necessarily have to sport Caps gear if it's out of your price range, which will probably be the case if you purchase it at the stadium. Just stop off somewhere and get something RED. T-shirt, pullover, sweatshirt, doesn't matter as long as it's RED. Once you hit the work force you can buy your Caps gear. Welcome home, and have a great time tonight.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 6, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I am glad to hear that they aren't considering trading Fedorov, that was probably my over reading into that statement, I can't help it sometimes its just too good to believe that we have Feds on our team!

Posted by: finnmeg | January 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

new blog.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@windjammersouth
were you able to steal a script from montreal so this can be auto posted in every new thread? you da man!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 6, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone care to wager on whether or not a fight breaks out off the first drop of the puck tonight?

Posted by: wienerdog4410 | January 6, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Clark and Nylander need to go. Package both in a trade for a quality player and you keep Federov and Alzner. Caps have plenty of Hershey players that will fill any other voids.

Posted by: hessone | January 6, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

asham is filthy punk with pain coming, but I'd SO much rather see Brash knock that stupid clown wig off hartnell's freakish head.

HATE THE FLYERS! God, I hate them.

Posted by: large23220 | January 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

If Feds is healthy, we have our 2nd line center and it would seem that Nylander would be a very expenseive 3rd line center...sounds like he would be the odd man out since Alzner appears likely to stay with the Caps the rest of the season considering the uncertain status of Poti. Also, I don't think the contracts of any of the other movable players like Fehr would free up enough cap room.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I will be watching this game on TV tonight, can I hear a Flyers Suck Chant. That would make my day.

Sincerely Yours,

Mike Ridley

Posted by: TheSmurfs | January 6, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

finnmeg...

Your fascination with Feds is unnerving. Just how much good is he doing us, sitting out hurt most of the season? I don't think we needed to spend $4M to get Semin pumped up to play this year. And if we did, we should get rid of them both.

Posted by: CindyJennings | January 6, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse