Morning Skate Update

Just when you thought the Caps were getting healthy ...

Boyd Gordon (back spasms) and Sergei Fedorov (ankle) won't suit up tonight, so that means Eric Fehr and Michael Nylander will get back into the lineup after sitting out last night's game as healthy scratches.

When asked who was starting, Coach Bruce Boudreau cracked, "one of our two goalies" before coming clean, saying, "I think Brent [Johnson] is starting. It's his turn. With so many goalies going down this year, we don't want to play someone 25 straight games and then have to throw someone in there."

If Johnson wins, he'll be the third Washington goalie to beat Montreal this season, joining Jose Theodore and Simeon Varlamov. The Caps haven't beat the Canadiens three times in the same season since 2000-2001.

A few other notes and quotes from this morning:

Boudreau will obviously have to make some changes to his lines, but he didn't want to say what the adjustments will be. So we'll have to wait until warm-ups, I suppose.

There is no update on Gordon, but he did not make the trip. Fedorov, Boudreau said, had been scheduled to take tonight off, though "he didn't feel great" after skating 15:55 in his return from a long layoff last night against Columbus. Jeff Schultz (finger) also did not travel.

"Getting healthier is relative term," Boudreau said. "We have five, six regulars out tonight. So I guess that is healthier when you were [up] to nine for most of December and November."

*John Erskine (concussion) did travel with the team and took the morning skate. He could return on Tuesday against Edmonton. "He's not going to be ready until next week," Boudreau said.

Erskine was cleared on Thursday in Denver by Dr. James Kelly, one of the top concussion specialists.

*Asked about how hard it is to come into Montreal on the back half of a back-to-back, Boudreau said: "The positives are that their crowd is so loud and energizing, that it's hard to feel fatigued when you come into this building. It personifies hockey. I don't know a player that doesn't like playing in that atmosphere, even though it can be a very hostile atmosphere."

"Every team does it, so we don't worry about it," he added. "Back-to-back isn't as hard as playing five games in six nights, traveling five hours on the bus. This easy when you have to go from Hershey to Norfolk and you arrive at six in the morning and it's an afternoon game."

*The winning coach tonight -- Boudreau or his Montreal counterpart, Guy Carbonneau - will be the assistant coach for the Eastern Conference all-star team. Boudreau could have clinched against Columbus.

"I'm not even worried about that," he said when asked about it this morning. When someone suggested that two coaches could go to center ice and try to shoot the puck through a five-inch hole in a plywood board, or even participate in the shootout (if the game comes to that), Boudreau joked, "He was a defensive specialist wasn't he?"

*The Caps are awfully good at making work for the engineers. They've broken a pane of glass at KCI every day the past week. This morning, Fehr did it here at Bell Centre. The difference is the stuff here really is glass. It spiderwebbed like a car windshield.

That's all I got for now. I'll check in before the game with a lineup.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 10, 2009; 12:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blue Jackets 3, Caps 0
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

Nyls and Fehr coming back should bode well for the chemistry

Posted by: Leeguru | January 10, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Any word on who the Habs are putting in net? I'm sure it will Price so they will have to put together a good game tonight. Get in front of the net!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

wait im confused, the habs are at 54 points we are at 57, even if we lose tonight they are still 1 pt behind us, and we still have 2nd place, how could a loss tonight mean Carbonneau would be the assistant coach over bruce

Posted by: capsfan387 | January 10, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Lee, I agree with that.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's probably going to be Halak in goal for Montreal. As of Weds. Cary Price could barely skate (ankle). Kostopoulos is out as are several other regulars. Koivu might be back. They still have 18 goals in the last three games. I have a bad feeling about this one.

Posted by: Ramone8 | January 10, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind, Price is still suffering from a lower body injury so Halak is starting. @ Capsfan, I think it might go by win percentagebut I'm not sure.

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

We win 7 in a row, on a roll. Then Coach puts in Feds, changes lines...and we don't score. Why 'fix' what isn't broken?? What gives?

Posted by: al852 | January 10, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

There were 136 pims between the Habs and the Leafs the other night with Montreal collecting 56 of those. I know they are division rivals but the Caps better be light on their skates tonight.

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 10, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: al852 | January 10, 2009 1:04 PM
__________________________

Outstanding point!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 10, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman

that would be stupid. it clearly says 2nd place in the conference gets the assistant coach, if that is the reason Carbonneau becomes it over bruce because of a win tonight, itd be yet another dumb ruling for the farce known as the all-star game

Posted by: capsfan387 | January 10, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Woops maths a little off, 146 total and 66 for the Habs.

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 10, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

From wiki: the two coaches are chosen by their points percentage, points obtained out of total possible points.

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 10, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Hello! I'm told I was asked for - my house looked like six Verizon crowds ran through it and I decided to work off some of my disappointment from last night and deal with it this morning. My pad looks better, I feel a little better, so I'll just make a couple of comments.

- I think we were better off injured o.0
- Feds out again? Same ankle? I thought he was having problems out there. BAH. This is the third reinjury, and that's just bad. I'm beginning to get the feeling that his career is basically done, that this injury is going to basically end it for him. I hate to say it, and it's sad, but he's 39 .... (I know, bite your tongue, kitty.)
- Mason was a beast. I think Fehr would have fared better than Clark out there simply for his net-crashing prowess. Yup, that and a five will get me a latte at Starbucks, but there it is. That kid is incredible.
- I hate being right sometimes.
- If we want to win tonight, our boys are going to have to bounce back and fast. Can we do it? Yeah, if we don't let one bad game get us down. Hopefully this doesn't wreck Theodore's confidence, although Theodore's real problem was that we weren't scooping up rebounds, and we weren't pouncing on rebounds fast enough in the attacking end.
- Ovi needs to score tonight - he hasn't scored in the last couple, and he took a couple of bad penalties last night. Boy needs to settle down a bit.
- Lot of people losing edges last night and going down - is that the ice again?
- I'm beginning to worry about Semin - too much cutesy, too much tentativeness, not enough shooting.

I dunno, I'm starting to worry some about this team, winning or not. We're not scoring we much as we should or are capable of, and we've had a lot of close, low-scoring games lately. Yeah, we're winning, but it doesn't feel right for us. We should be able to score more than we are, and I don't know what the problem is. Is Ovi back in a slump over the All-Star thing? I know he's had a lot of things lately not go his way. Maybe it's affecting him mentally.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone more excited than me about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead: Really really Good News (update)-- no worries when you check out this schedule.

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabers (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run...no rush to rush back Poti and Feds.

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 10, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: al852 | January 10, 2009 1:04 PM

chemistry wasnt the reason for the loss last night. if he had kept feds out and they still lost 3-0 people would have been wondering why he wasn't in there instead of a struggling nylander. you put the best team out there you can. clearly feds is an upgrade over nylander. flash has been putting in the puck better than fehr although fehr has been playing better lately.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Guarantee a loss at Montreal tonight. Last night was pathetic. To be a TRUE elite team in NHL they would win tonight but they wont. An away game after a depressing home loss = a loss for Caps. Guarantee it!!

Posted by: phrdlick | January 10, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@kitty
Watching Feds' interview on Caps365, he clearly says "at least I didn't get injured" so when BB say Feds didn't feel great, I would think it's maybe more of a fatigue thing. He did miss alot of games and it might take a game or two to get back up to his normal level. But holding him out of tonight's game is a wise move, even if it's only precautionary.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 10, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh look, a new troll. Hahah.

@tess2201: Hmmm. I sure hope you're right. Of course it's a wise move.

Oh, one more comment about last night's game. The crowd was much quieter than usual, I thought, and I wonder what was up. I know I myself didn't feel much like cheering after it took me two and a half hours to get there from Baltimore between the accident on I-95, 29 being horrid, and then the delays on the Red Line.

Hopefully I'll feel more like cheering tonight. A Ravens win would go a long way towards that.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | January 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

GREAT news about the sexy lumberjack

Posted by: _stevo | January 10, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

i expect a better effort than last night. Since we had been so dominant at home they get a pass on that, but failure tonight is unnaceptable. This started in the Philly game and continued thru last night. If we are truly all-stars, then we'll show up tonight.

Posted by: ergoroc | January 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

ASG assistant coach - how it's decided? - on the teams winning percentage

a caps win vs mon

a caps loss
Team GP W L OTL WP
was 43 27 13 3 .662
mon 42 25 10 6 .666

only in the NHL ....
does a loss in OT/SO count as a 1/2 of a win and a win in OT/SO counts as a win

a regulation loss is the only thing that will keep BB at home for the ASG

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I was at KCI today and Federov was skating and looked pretty good. Maybe not 100% (couldn't exactly tell) but certainly he was able to skate close to full speed. I just saw the very end of the skate, though.

Posted by: ralph4100 | January 10, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: al852 | January 10, 2009 1:04 PM

----
AS x123 said in the last thread. Maybe Bruce does not want to be part of the ASG coaching staff. Maybe there is something to that.

"Nyls sucks!" said the guys who enjoys reading WILBON. Enough said of that commentary.

"Trade Semin" cried a savvy hockey fan. LOL. Thanks for making me feel intelligent and well-informed on the sport of hockey - A casual fan.

Posted by: opita | January 10, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

capsfan387:
ASG coaches are chosen based on win %, not points (since teams have played a different number of games); that's why it is still up in the air.

irockthered:
I don't think Goat and horn guy (Sam?) tried to get the crowd fired up as much as usual last night because they were sitting in Ted's box.

Leeguru/Steve:
I couldn't agree more!

Optia:
You're right ... could there be a conspiracy theory is this somewhere?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 10, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

is anyone else worried that the injured players coming back are not going to live up to the expectations set by AHLers...??

I have to agree that it seemed like the crowd really wasn't into the game either...it was quiet for most of the game but then again it could be because we were losing. Also, a lot of people were delayed by the metro problem..

Posted by: jogabonito | January 10, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

jogabonito:
What was the Metro problem?

I have to admit, I have been a little concerned about the big boys being out played by the kiddies; hopefully that won't pan out. And you're right - the crowd was quiet. I can tell you that I was quieter than usual just because it was such a depressing game for a number of reasons.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 10, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jogabonito | January 10, 2009 2:51 PM

That is an outstanding observation!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 10, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I would have to agree that Fedorov did not reinjure his ankle last night. He hasn't played in awhile, so it's going to take a game or two until he's back at full speed. When BB said he wasn't "feeling great" after the game, I just take it that he was tired.

@ralph4100: glad to hear that Feds was looking good today!

Posted by: BGSU91 | January 10, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Boo:

There were some major delays on the red line. Something about a cracked rail, im not exactly sure.

Posted by: jogabonito | January 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Bummer! I was wondering why it was so empty before the game. Glad I decided to drive! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

If it isn't broke why fix it? Varlamov wasn't too bad and we sent him back down.
You play your best players when they become available.

That is in the book of common sense 101.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the was a cracked rail on the red line all day yesterday near the Zoo...sharing track in both directions.

Does anyone know if you can watch Hockey Night online in the States? The Caps v. Habs game is one of the regional broadcasts. (I don't have cable and my NHL account doesn't let me watch Caps games when I'm home in NoVa)

Posted by: saintex | January 10, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Washington was out coached. You do not change a lineup when your on a winning streak. It plays with team chemistry! BB should know better!Owen

Posted by: owenlesely | January 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: I don't know, but if you're willing to drive to Baltimore, my flat is open and I've already got people coming over. It'll be BYOB, but I've got munchies and we'll be ordering 'za, and I'll put a fire in the fireplace 'cause my place backs on the woods and tends to run chilly.

There was a cracked rail on the Red line last night. But I don't think it was just because they were losing, Boo - it started out quieter than usual, and I know I was grumpy after all the delays and hell I had getting down there. (There was an accident on 95.)

And yeah, I've noticed that the big boys were being outplayed by the Hershey kids in some cases. Certainly Sloan seemed okay with Green last night - better than I'd been afraid of. The penalty on him was crap IMO.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 10, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I know he's not well liked in DC - and with good reason - but this is what Jagr said shortly before leaving for Omsk, and I've thought about it a lot, especially in connection with Ovi:

Jagr said, when you're a superstar, people come to expect that you'll perform great every game; it's hard to stay that motivated over time. His exact words were:

"And [fans] are expecting those players to play all the time at that level, with the same emotion and everything, but it's impossible."

He was talking about keeping it up over a 20 year career. But I think that the same thing could be said over 80 games. We expect Ovi will be superman every game. Do the hits, dance between the D's, and find the seven hole at least once a game, but preferably twice. And if he gets two, we wait for the third. How many of us are surprised when he scores two goals? How many of us are disappointed when he doesn't score any?

This is what I think: Ovi does his superman thing often (not always, but often) and it's good to watch. But if the opposing goalie is half-way decent, the Caps can't keep winning unless they get a man in the slot. And we just don't seem to do that much, especially against a tight checking team like Columbus. Last night, one of our few good scoring chances (I think it was Kozlov) happened when we had a man there.

There's a lot of talk about Ovi putting the team on his back. One man can't win the Cup, not even when his name is Ovechkin.

Posted by: RedRocker1 | January 10, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@kitty

tempting - byob, pizza, fire. But I can't even imagine driving tonight, the weather down here in D.C. is pants.

I think I may end up listening to the audio (I can choose Montreal or Caps radio) and recreating it in my little bean.

Thanks for the offer.

At least we all know your place is tidy.

Posted by: saintex | January 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This is sad reading everyone's commments.

Its only 1 game. We are 18-2-1 at home. I can't beleive what I am reading. I think everyone is spoiled. Bad games happen, I played in college some nights things just don't go your way. We put 45 shots on them. Its not like they dominated us and we had no chance. They got up 1-0 and started trapping. In case you haven't noticed they constantly had 3 guys sit at the blue line and wait for us to attack and trap. Ken Hitchcock is famous for that, he is a good coach. If Mason didn't stay on his head and gave up 1 the flood gates would have been open. Remember we hit 2 or 3 posts. Steckel should have deffiniatelly scored. Semin made an unbelievable play to Backs who should have barried it. Its a different game if its 1-1, they wouldn't be trapping. After 1-0 they were forchecking with 1 guy and had 1 guy at center and practically 3 guys at the blue line. Everytime Ovie tried to enter their zone he was doubled.

Amazing one game and everyone crying wolf.

Honestly you dont expect this team to win 39 games at home?

For some of you going first time throgh a regular season (new fans) these are ups and downs of the season. We will also have a stretch over 10 games where we will be playing .500 hockey. Look at SAN JOSE a top team in the league. is 1-2-3 in the last 6 ROAD GAMES. 82 game season is a grind. I remember playing 32 games in juniors and dragging through that i can only imagine 82 games.

Posted by: lightshow | January 10, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: Not much better here, so I understand. And heh.

I wonder if maybe what Ovi is is our pinch hitter. He's the guy that comes through and does spectacular things when we need him most. He wins games for us, sure, but you're right, he can't win a Cup alone.

That said, I like the idea of Nylander and FEhr back in the lineup. I'm hoping for a good effort and a good game tonight - we need to bounce back, and quickly. Whoever said we're guaranteed a loss because its an away game after a home loss is a friggin' idiot and probably a Habs fan (but that's redundant). We do our best work in the wake of losses more often than not. But, we're not guaranteed the win either, and while I can see Gabby not wanting to coach the ASG, I can't see him deliberately throwing away two back to back games just to get out of it, and if he did I'd personally drive up to Montreal to plant my boot in his butt.

Our problem this year is with hot goalies, and it's because we don't crash the net enough. That's why I like Fehr - he can and does crash the net and needs to do more of it. Same with Brooksie, and if Ovi and Brash would crash the net we'd be set, because you try moving Ovi when he plants himself. Or Brash.

*sigh* I'm worried about tonight, though. I hope the guys can use it as motivation to come on strong, because if they get down, or we get down, we're all dead.

I think Fehr pots one tonight. Don't know why I think that, I just do.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@lightshow: Calm down. Nobody's crying wolf. I at least am looking at trends that I'm seeing and wondering if they have any effect on the whole. Nothing wrong with that. Whoever said we're guaranteed a loss is an idiot. We're not guaranteed a win, though, either.

But a hat trick on MTL would sure be fun :)

Posted by: kittypawz | January 10, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

there was some booing of the Caps last night and they DESERVED it! The Caps appear to be the only team in the NHL who refuse to play in front of the net for some dirty goals. After 2 periods of Mason stopping every shot from all points on the ice, why did they not get in front of Mason and create traffic?? Bouds needs to make this a priority for the team.

Posted by: KSlayton | January 10, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

KSlayton:
Never boo your own team.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 10, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I think we all understand the grind of a long season - by understand I mean think understand, not play understand. I like that there's commentary and that people are disappointed or overjoyed at the team's escapades. I like that we all have our favorite players and those we want traded. I like that we feel cheated (feel, not are) when we don't lock one up at home. That's a good fanbase.

I honestly don't get the booing. I think there may have been some bad vibes last night - weather, tired, enery - on the team's side but I think they played hard. I totally agree that one goal would have opened the floodgates but Mason held it tight. My most frustrating bit? Brash's double minor at the eight to go mark. At 2-0 you feel that if one goal slips by then the onslaught over the final three or four minutes might get us to OT. I don't dislike Brash for that, I was just hoping for the door to open a bit.

I think we'll be fine tonight. Like I said in the last post, 1 goal on 79 shots in the last six period. They'll start going in...

Posted by: saintex | January 10, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I blame this loss squarely on kittypawz's post a few posts ago. I mentioned that Mason had struggled the last 2 games and had bad GAA and Save %'s, then she goes and pulls out the kid's (thats what he is after all) total stat sheet and makes him look good.

Boo

I don't think that JT look great in net. He was good, and the effort should have been good enough to win. Problems in front of him hurt a lot. No traffic in front of a hot goalie means he can sleep-walk it. Someone needs to park their butt in front of his face. There was no one doing that. The few times that there were, he struggled. That, and the D-men have to be able to clear the zone cleanly. I couldn't count high enough the number of clearing passes behind and way in front of our offensive corps.

Finally, my hats off to another "OMG we lost a game and now we'll be in last place in the league" guy...

Posted by: phrdlick | January 10, 2009 1:44 PM

What a fan, eh??? Wow!

Posted by: Greg S. | January 10, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

So just for S&G's let's look at the "elite" teams. The original 6 certainly fit that bill. We'll add the leaders this year, too.

NYR 15 games lost
Boston 7
Toronto 16
Montreal 10
Chicago 9
Detroit 7

SJS 5
Calgary 12
Philly 10

Caps 12

We're doing pretty good. Even elite teams lose occasionally.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 10, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

Try this link. They usually have live streams of the game.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 10, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

People who get to watch the Caps in person regularly should consider themselves lucky. You get to watch the most consistently exciting player in the league, night in, night out. Plus some pretty talented offense: Backstrom, Semin, Kozlov, Green(!). And we've also got the best fighter in the league (see Laroque's blog). OK, so we're not defensively gifted (although Alzner is shaping up nicely), and our #1 goalie is easily thrown off his game by a bad goal or two. But overall, the Caps are more fun for your money than any other Eastern conference team (I don't know the Western conference as well).

Anyone disagree?

Booing when the goals don't come as often as you expect them is sheer ingratitude. It's mindless. Classless. It's what a Phily fan would do.

Do you really want to act like a Phily fan?

Posted by: RedRocker1 | January 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Is it game time yet? The guys ran into a hot goalie last night. It happens. The only thing I'm blaming on the Caps is my hangover this morning. Looking forward to the game. As someone said earlier, I hope the guys show the Habs fans what they'll be missing at the ASG!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 10, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"a regulation loss is the only thing that will keep BB at home for the ASG" - Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Oh,oh! Oh My! I see new lines ...

Posted by: opita | January 10, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I was going to Mr. __________ (whomever's) to watch the game tonight, but it's a dreary night, cold and damp. I think I'll be anti-social tonight. There's a game on Wednesday night that's away. I could make that one on the way home from work, especially if it's crawling distance to the metro.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

atdhe.net is a good stream usually but it is haven for trojan viruses! and spyware! make sure your antivirus is 100% current. try hockeystreams.com

Comcast is killing me with the lack of HD coverage. Last night they were on a non HD channel yet the game was taped in HD at Verizon. The lowly Wizards were on the HD channel but Were taped in non HD. Brilliant.

Posted by: ewwsombra | January 10, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@opita
I know what you thinking, scratch Semin and Kozlov.
I like your sense of humor.

Posted by: x1232 | January 10, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

This team has won through all kinds of lineup changes (of necessity of course) so it doesn't make any sense to blame last night's loss on changing the lineup. In all likelihood, if the Caps are going to win the Cup this year it will be with healthy and productive Fedorov and Fleishmann. Getting those guys back in the lineup and productive again was undoubtedly the primary goal for Boudreau last night. At this stage in his career, Fehr is just going to have to deal with it.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 10, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"Booing when the goals don't come as often as you expect them is sheer ingratitude. It's mindless. Classless. It's what a Phily (sic) fan would do."

Um, we Flyers fans boo when the athletes don't put it all on the line on the ice, when they watch the play develop and think about where they're going to have lunch the next day, when they don't clear the crease and make people pay for having the audacity to cross the blue line.

That Caps fans are starting to boo means that they expect their athletes to perform, and more power to you guys. I've never heard a Verizon Center crowd boo the Caps, and like with any team, there are times when you should. This isn't pee-wee; the Caps' self-esteem isn't more important than the scoreboard and the standings.

Posted by: DC_Flyer | January 10, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"I think Fehr pots one tonight. Don't know why I think that, I just do"- kittypawz

As one of my heroes once said: "Once I tried thinking, but nothing ever happened".

Lets just hope that Fehr plays and that he scores.

Posted by: x1232 | January 10, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I know Nylander has played awful, but keep him in for another week, until Sergei is really good enough to play at 100%, without risking anyhting.

Right now it looks like he's healthy enough to play, but is in danger of re-aggravating things if he does. The playoffs are far away still, let him get his groove back with Semin and Laich/Flash in Feb/March, not now.

Posted by: DrAdamson | January 10, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

come on tarik lets have the lineup....what am i paying you for

Posted by: _stevo | January 10, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

i think sometimes losing a game is better in the long run. notice how they reacted after philly spanked them 7-1. they may have let down a little last night because it was the CBJ's and maybe were looking forward to the habs. they'll bounce back and look much better tonight. BB is good at motivating. it'll probably be another close game - more like the 2 sabers games than the most recent philly and NYR games. i also think johnson will want to prove he should be considered for the #1 spot again.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 10, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S: XD Love you too, baby. :)

Half hour to puck drop. I'm nervous. I don't know about this one. Guess we'll wait and see.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 10, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

anyone elses comcast sportsnet frozen?

Posted by: DER27 | January 10, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Mine's fine, but I've got DirecTV.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 10, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

it would be my crappy cable company to freeze me out of yet another Caps game (my cable company doesnt have CSN+ so i couldnt watch the game last night), not that i missed much.

Posted by: DER27 | January 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

"Team Jagr" won KHL All Stars game

Posted by: yrb1 | January 10, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

CSN-HD coming in fine here on FiOS in Annapolis (AA/HoCo), the content is upconverted widescreen 480i.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 10, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are now 18-2-1 at home. They had some 45 shots and hit three posts in losing to a PITA D with a Hot Goalie. That was no "night off' for the Capitals. Booing them last night was frickin' lamer than Melrose's stylist.
Lafleur made me a Habs fan as a kid and I've never mustered much animosity toward them. Until tonight.

Posted by: redlineblue | January 10, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Start of game is probably delayed by usual HNIC fanfare.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 10, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@ewwsombra

Thanks for the heads up on the trojan viruses on the adthe web link. Scanning pc now as I was watching the game there. Thanks again dude.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | January 10, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse