Morning Skate Update

As I mentioned in the previous post, all signs point to Jose Theodore starting against Bruins tonight at Verizon Center.

This is a huge game for the Caps, who get two cracks at Boston in the next four games. Needless to say, a pair of wins for the Caps would make their deficit - they trail the Bruins by 11 points in the Eastern Conference - much more manageable down the stretch.

"If we don't win both games, they are going to be pretty tough to catch," Coach Bruce Boudreau said.

Some other notes and quotes to get you ready for tonight:

*Tom Poti (groin), Chris Clark (healthy), Boyd Gordon (healthy) and Shaone Morrisonn (lower body) will be the scratches tonight.

It's starting to look like Poti's return might be delayed a bit longer.

"When you've been out for a month already, why take the chance?" Boudreau said of his best defensive-defenseman. "We don't want him hurt anymore."

*The lines and pairs should look like this:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Fedorov-Semin
Laich-Nylander-Fehr
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Erskine-Green
Schultz-Jurcina
Alzner-Helmer

*Boudreau had a heart-to-heart with defenseman Karl Alzner a few days ago after suspecting that the rookie was becoming distracted by the possibility of being sent back to Hershey for salary cap reasons. (When Poti returns, unless the GM George McPhee manages to clear space some other way, Alzner will likely have to go down.)

"I talked to him because you can't do that - it'll kill you," Boudreau said. "Trying to control things that you can't control is murderous on your psyche. If it just so happens that there's an issue, that will happen anyway, whether you scored five goals tonight or didn't score five goals tonight or played 35 minutes. I told him to just go out an play."

"He struggled there for a few games, so I knew something was bothering him," he added.

Alzner said: "I was worrying about getting sent down much too much earlier. About a week ago, that's what I was thinking about. I know the situation. I know who is going to be coming back and approximately when. If it happens, it happens. Not too many guys get to play a full season, or even a half season, when they are 20 years old. My focus now is to make it hard for them."

*The Caps are 12-3-2 against teams that would be in the playoffs today and are 7-2-1 against the Northeast Division.

*The Caps are also one of three teams that have seven double-digit goal scorers. The others are San Jose and Detroit.

That's all for now. We'll check in from Verizon Center if there are any changes to the lineup.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 17, 2009; 11:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quick Update
Next: Tonight's Lines

Comments

Those two top lines are going to win this for us. I love the way those groups play together. Semin needs the ice to himself. He and Ovie shouldn't share a line.

I wonder what's up with Alzner-Helmer. I guess it's good to pair up the Hershey boys, for familiarity's sake, but, beside a couple notable incidents, Alzner-MJ23 were playing pretty well together. Alzner's solid play gave MJ23 the confidence to patrol and crush skulls.

And when Juice's head is in the game, he's good to have around.

Posted by: large23220 | January 17, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

When's Clarkie gonna give up that "C"...

Posted by: tURBO8 | January 17, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Big game tonight. Go Caps! Alzner, just play your best and the rest will work itself out.

Posted by: cbs75 | January 17, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

That 2nd line will make us so much more dangerous in the long run...I like the idea of bumping up Semin with Ovie and Backie when we need the offense late in a game but Semin and Flash have shown good chemistry previously this season as well and Fed for all the naysayers on here has looked just fine in his return and before he got hurt was putting up points early in the season. I'm not expecting us to win both games against the B's in reg but we need to get this one at home, sellout crowd it's a big game.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | January 17, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Man thats tough on Clark, but you have to suit the best guys... Would think him giving the C to Ovie will coincide with him leaving the team!

Posted by: jerry2178 | January 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: large23220 | January 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

PS, I think Ovie is def ready for the C. He's no NHL neophyte anymore.

The humility of last season was probably honest, and I respect him for that. But his time has come.

Posted by: large23220 | January 17, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

We didnt see any favorable results last night. Here is to playing a solid 60 minutes tonight and playing like we know we can.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Alzner's such a good kid. I think it already is "hard for them" to decide they need to send him down. He may go back for while, although I hope not. But I suspect he'll be here again before too long, and for good.

Posted by: jen-s | January 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Captain Clark has looked better since returning from IR, but looks like right now is the odd man out, which is not all a bad thing. If you have a little compation to get into the line-up, it keeps everyone focused and working to stay in the line-up.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 17, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@oo7
we have an agreement to disagree on our previous conversation. Nothing personal and hopefully no offense taken by either one of us.

@x123
I agree with you on Clark. I too think that Clark would be better than Brads and would give us a more agresive line.
By the way, I like your sense of humor and that mask idea would be fun to see.

Regarding the "C"
Why is everyone so concerned about it? The people affected by it does not seem to care and they appear to respect Clark. Question: If OV was wearing the "C", would you really see a change on this team? Please let me know what that would be, because to me as a fan I would probably miss it.

Posted by: opita | January 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Clark will keep the C until he is not a Cap anymore; the team wouldn't do that to the chemistry in the room or to him. As to Ovie eventually wearing the C, I wonder if he may just wear the A for good. The thought on that is that the captain has to be a guy who is the face of the team in the community and speaks for the team. Not that Ovie couldn't do that, but it is obvious when you watch him give interviews that he is not totally comfortable with it or just doesn't enjoy it. Plus, his english has gotten a lot better but it there is still some lost in translation there. Everyone knows that when it comes to playing the game, Ovie is the team leader anyway. Let him do his thing and leave the job of team diplomat to Chris Clark, who is very good at it.
ROCK THE RED TONIGHT - TELL EVERYONE

Posted by: Roose | January 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

theo will be in net, Johnny told me after practice yesterday

Posted by: capsfan387 | January 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@ opita
"why is everyone so concerned about it?"

We're talking about the "C" because this is a forum for fans to talk about the team. The team gives out the "C" to one player who gets it sewn on their jersey and they wear it. Therefore it is on-topic, and an issue generally of interest to the type of Capitals nerd who would waste their time lurking on this blog.

Of all the innane, insipid conversations that have transpired on this blog, you are baffled by curiosity about THIS issue?

You dont make sense to me opita.

Posted by: large23220 | January 17, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@opia
If OV wears the "C" you would notice the change if you look just below his or Clark's left shoulder. Another thing to watch will be the screaming posters saluting the change.

Posted by: x1232 | January 17, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

mauree (from the previous):
I had a spare until late last night! :-( If I had only known ... if that happens again on a Sat, I would be happy to let you know. Sorry!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

as a long time caps fan i'm just use to seeing a pattern of guys who go out there give it there all, really love the team and the fans and not get the 'C'. bondra shoulda worn the C, olie shoulda had the C too. Ovie is the most deserving guy on the team. as a fan it dissapoints me to not see him represent this team, because to me Ovie is the captain. the C is more then just a letter, it really says a lot about the player, and how the team views him, I just don't really think of Clark as our captain even though I see him with the C. so to me it is kind of a big deal. ovie will def get it someday, but I just don't know why he doesn;t now.

Posted by: capsfan387 | January 17, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@large23220
Not to defend opita, he seems to do that very well, but your last post does not make sense, it seems full of contradictions, were you trying to use wit and sarcasm?

Posted by: x1232 | January 17, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

USDave:
I am glad that Ovie and Semin are on different lines. The team seems to play better overall when that dynamic duo is split up. Better to share the wealth than to have all of that firepower on one line - it gives us more of that 60 minutes to be likely to find the net.

I am surprised the C discussion keeps coming up. Does anyone think that it will really make a difference to how the team or any one player performs? If not then why harp on it? Everyone knows Ovie is next. He has a loooong career in front of him - he'll have lots of time to sport the C.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 17, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Without a win tonight, and unless OV get's the C, this team cannot win the cup

Posted by: Leeguru | January 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@1234

It was an entirely successful deployment of sarcasm. I'm sorry if you didn't get it.

I guess I unwittingly submitted an "advanced" post. I'm sorry to have burdened you with it. Let's forget it ever happened.

Posted by: large23220 | January 17, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey -- is it just me or does Dave Steckel look a little like he needs some Hershey time? A lot of bad passes etc. in the last few games that may have cost them a score or two on that loosing streak, and the guys we brought up from Hershey are playing great.

Posted by: jgprentice | January 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Excellent point!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Large23220
WOW. I hope you were being humorous on your reply to me. But just in case, let me say that I was not baffled - I am now by your reply and I am so tempted to dissect it, but ... - I was just curious. By reading capsfan387 post I gather that to some people the "C" is more of an honor bestowed to a particular player, that answered my question.

Posted by: opita | January 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I am loving these lines. Our top 2 lines are both very, very lethal. Let's hope Bruce gives them a real chance for several games at least, so far we are 1-0 with 6 goals in that game.

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: DrAdamson | January 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@large23220
I just read your post x1223. I got your sarcasm, I was just baffled by your last sentence. No problem, I enjoy sarcasm, wit and absurdity. Lets move on.

Posted by: opita | January 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thinks Clark should play and Brads should sit? Nothing against Brads, but he is slow and does not provide much firepower, also, I am afraid he would cost us some penalties minutes that we can't afford to give the Bruins.

Posted by: opita | January 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

gmgm could have sent him down and up like a yo-yo all season. most of the call ups went down for salary cap reasons during breaks. they didn't send alzner down and up even though he will cost more as the season goes on. i thought that was classy and in the best interest of the relationship w/ alzner if they were gonna keep him up not to send him down every time there was a stretch of days off.

Posted by: am_jim | January 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Where are people watching the game tonight? I could go to NoVa, but is anybody getting together in the District?"

Uh...Verizon Center?

Posted by: keeef | January 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Steckel = Kozlov light. Without the goals. He needs to evolve some more. I hope he does. FOr those who bash gordon, look at the faceoff win % with him out of the lineup.

I understand what Opita means when he says that he doesn't envision a change in the team if Ovechkin were to receive the captaincy. The last decade has reinforced that opinion. The thing about the Caps is, from my perspective, they have been some what adrift in the leadership category since Hunter left. Oates was a stopgap, but not for too long. He was a good captain as the first line pivot, but not for long. The team tried to draft kids with leadership qualities; they envisioned Sutherby as captain when he was first here. Then Kono, then Halpern, all while Kolzig was defacto captain. I think, honestly, that Kolzig being defacto captain hurt more than helped. Kono and Halpern had marginal loyalty in the end because they were captain in name only. Now Clark wears it, and that's fine, I like him, but take a look at the dynasty's of the last two decades; hell, just look at two, and you'll see Yzerman and Messier. Their leadership was bolstered by their skill and presence. No slight on Clark, but NO ONE on the Caps has anywhere near the presence that Ovechkin has, nor the skill set. He leads by example, he's larger than life, he propels the teams collective mentality. He is in all respects the captain. For that reason, I think it should be legitimized, just because its such a no-brainer. He's like a prince in waiting. The wait is over. You can't hope for a better option than Ovie. And I think that the C will only make him better, and that's a scary prospect. Its also whats needed to really push this team over the top.

Posted by: oo7 | January 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

i too - think these lines are better for the team. OV seems to be around 26-28 TOI when paired with semin. both of these lines can score and i believe all six give better 'quality' ice time. it also forces the opponent to think more when choose their D pairings.
i hope they can figure out thomas early and rattle the B's - then put on a show in the third period. i'd like to see another 3 goal victory

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Crazy morning. :( BIG BIG BIG game tonight, and agree that this one is really important to win at home. Unfortunately, I'm nervous and I have a bad, bad feeling that it's not going to get done tonight. Dunno why, I just do. Was late to morning skate this morning and only got to see the tail end.

That said, I think I shared an elevator with Jeff Schultz as we were leaving KCI. I wanted to say hi, thank you, and good luck tonight, but I wasn't 100% sure it was him and didn't want to look like a tool if it wasn't. By the time I'd screwed up my courage to say something, he was gone. :(

Good and happy thoughts to our boys tonight. Work hard, stay out of the penalty box, and keep your cool and your coverages, because they'll make us pay for mistakes. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I have no qualms with Bradley at all; I wouldn't sit him. He's up tempo all game long. He hits, he pins, he passes, he grinds it up in the corners. He gives too much night in and out to be sat.

Posted by: oo7 | January 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan387
It is against NHL rules for a goaltender to wear the C. That is why Olie never got it.
Bondra was offered the C more than once and he turned it down every time. You can't force a guy to be a leader if he doesn't want it.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 17, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@007

amen on bradley. he is what every team needs, a grinder. Bradley can also score some and pass pretty well. The worst part of his game is he cant fight very well.

Posted by: _stevo | January 17, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE how people (not us) are starting to look past the Crosby facade. When you look at the comments on TSN, people are actually suggesting Crosby be traded to bring in the components needed to establish a dynasty, with Malkin at the helm! Haha! Its so true. One has to go, and if thats so, I'd keep Malkin. He's a beast. We don't give him enough credit over here. THe guy is as good as Ovie, skill wise; better passer, but Ovechkin is the better all around player. Its neck and neck though.

Trade Crosby! Print up the signs...

Posted by: oo7 | January 17, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@pawz

aww makes me think of all the bad things I said about Schultz... if I met him, I'd probably want to say those same things - or maybe "break a leg or two!" instead of "good luck" lol

Posted by: mauree | January 17, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I am SO OVER Alzner and can't wait for him to be sent back to Hershey.

Posted by: jmb9778 | January 17, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@mauree: In hockey, I'd hesitate to use the theater lingo :) They'd take it literally, and the last thing I'd want is to be misunderstood on that on the day of a big important game.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@mauree,

you still looking for a ticket? turns out I do have an extra.

Posted by: sirbobalew | January 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

kitty-
you in the biz?

Posted by: kevbnyc | January 17, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The same people who put limitations (i.e. the caps wont win the cup if ...) on this team are same ones who thought they wouldn't make the play-offs last year with 3 weeks left in the season. I had a guy in the locker room tell me that he was lifelong Caps fan but didn't think they were good enough to beat Boston. The point is that I'm tired of people trying to paint these Capitals as the Caps of 10 or 15 years ago. As cliche as may sound: "these aren't your parents Caps!" This team figures out a way to win regardless of who is in the line-up. It is unfortunate that we can't keep all of our players (Hate the Salary Cap) but one thing is certain. These Caps will get it done!

Posted by: psugolf | January 17, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

kevbnyc: Nope but know a lot of people who are and have dabbled a little bit in stage performance. I know enough to know what not to say to theater people, but most people outside of theater will look at you funny if you tell them to break a leg, and in sports they just might take offense! :)

("Break a leg" is the theater lingo for "good luck", because you never EVER say "good luck" to a performer, it's like dooming them to disaster.)

Posted by: kittypawz | January 17, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@Boo...I agree I think on the whole for a 60 minute game having them split up makes more sense, the Semin/Fed/Flash line can be dangerous in it's own right, and Kozlov has really elevated his play the last month or so but shouldn't be a surprise given the chemistry he had with Ovie and Backstrom even going back to last season. The Super line at their best is unmatched in the league imo, but they do get too cute with it most of the time trying to make the perfect play. The 2 lines as they are now give us the best quality for those 6 guys on ice, and our studs get plenty of ice time together on the PP anyways.

Sit Bradley for Clark? Bradley is a very fast skater he's the only guy who consistently when he dumps from center you know will blow right past both D men and get to the puck in the corners to initiate the cycle. Clark needs to find his game although I don't know how he can do that without playing. I would personally sit Fehr for Clark to give him a shot, his presence and toughness > Fehr in my mind when Fehr isn't finishing, which he is not. Let's win this one tonight and start closing the gap!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | January 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@oo7

I really don't think the "C" would change Ov's game that much. In my mind he's already giving 110% and to think he'd play harder if he was given the "C" is stupid in my opinion. He already carries the team on his back anyway.

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 17, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

psugolf: (i hope 'psu' doesn't stand for penn st)
i agree - the caps have above average/talent players (clark/nyls/feds - even though they don't have the numbers) on the team. also a lot of younger guys that are still coming into there own. this isn't really different from a lot of the better teams in the league. mostly what they need to keep is the 'mentality that they are NEVER out of any game' - i.e. the rangers game.
these are not the caps that went to the cup finals - i think the current guys are mentaly stronger/tougher. i attribute that to BB

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95:
it would be interesting to see if OV 'had another gear' if he were the C.

you can see when he wants to take over - like the third period against the pens.

i wouldn't underestimate OV being able to play at an even higher level. i think he just might find another level of his game that he's never challenged himself with before if he were to get it.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm missing my Morning Reading List :(

Check this story out - no way it will happen - but it's an interesting concept none the less.

Posted by: patrone | January 17, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying what more could we expect him to do? The only thing his game is missing is fighting, and personaly I don't want to see him doing that anyway.

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 17, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@sirbobalew

man I wish... turns out I can't take the trip tonight, I have to be close to the lab.

@pawz

I didn't know it was theater related lol (learning something new every day)... I meant it as a "suggestion" to be tougher :D

Posted by: mauree | January 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95:
AMEN!!!

UKDave:
I always knew you were wise ... ;-) What do you think about the whole "C" debate?

Kirk:
Are you serious? The man is a machine. When he needs to take it up a gear, he does (just as you showed with your example!). He does not need the C for that. That's just not giving him enough credit.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95:
you are right. it's hard to envision him giving any more effort than he already does.
what i find interesting is - could he?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Saw something in last home game that was,I thought,illegal.The Caps had 3 A's (8,19,and 91)plus Clark's C.Thought you could only wear 2 A's with 1 C,or 3 A's.Could you check that out,Tarik?

Posted by: roccky | January 17, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Boo:
i'm not saying he needs it. i'm just speculating that things that could motivate him may not have happened to him yet. wouldn't it be awesome to watch him play IF he could ratchet it up another notch?
i'm not of the opinion that he should have the C - that would be a BB and clark call only.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:
May be, but I think that will just come naturally with growth and development - he has not peaked yet!

I'm off - need plenty of time to get in town (the Obamanics are already here! :-)).

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What IS Caps hockey?

Posted by: boyd_gordon_shootout_specialist | January 17, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

RED, is Caps Hockey! duh.

Posted by: fullright | January 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I like the way you think, fullbright. I like the way you think.

Posted by: boyd_gordon_shootout_specialist | January 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

roccky-

I think since Clark was scrathed and not "on the ice" we can use 3 "A's". I seem to remember a team without a captain doing that earlier this season or last season.

Posted by: kevbnyc | January 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

kevbnyc:
roccky is right about 8, 19, 91 and 17 all playing against edm - their last home game. i don't recall who was wearing the A's that night though.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The NHL still hasn't learned from letting fans vote.
I will scream if Kovalev or Crybaby wins

Posted by: minicoop828 | January 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

minicoop828:
crysby should be disqualified - because while he may be able to handle the puck - he doesn't have that much of a shot.

i hope the 'hacks' in mtl and pit don't have time to setup their 'scripts' - if that happens then the breakaway winner will be whichever 'hacker' is faster.

BTW - i can see Kane, Getzlaf and Kovalev but where in the h*ll is malkin?? he should be there before the girly boy crysby!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll go out on a very thin limb and say Kovalev has it. No way he will lose with all the Habs fans in Canada voting en masse, maybe Crysby, but OVie doesn't have a chance even if he shoots top shelf from a handstand spin with a broken stick.

Posted by: billd2 | January 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

billd2:
agreed. also - while being checked from behind by 2 Dmen and facing 3 goalies

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The Bruins haven't had 3 losses (including OT) in a month since October. We could give #3 for January tonight.

They've still the Rangers, a decent Devil's team, and us again this month.

A few loses here and maybe people start wondering if they hit their stride too early.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Will the Islanders be in KC in the near future?

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 17, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

How often in the NHL does a team captain get a healthy scratch???????????

I think CC has played better since returning and needs to be playing, I would scratch Brash or Brads and let Clarkie play.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 17, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready.

I'm blasting Link Wray and getting pumped.

Ovie's got the solution to charro. If charro knows that Ovie is hunting him all night, we can get and stay in control. Flash can solve anybody: thomas wont blank him. So we're good for at least one goal. Feds will give us some strong puck possession minutes. If Brash gets more than 10 minutes we're in business. Helmer and Alzner together are a solid 3rd pairing. They're fighting for their lives and know how big this is: their shut-down game will be razor sharp tonight.

We ALWAYS get our heart in our throats on big nights. We aren't going to have another replay of philly I and san jose. We are going to play like we play when we win: VIOLENT. Finish EVERY check. If we take any penalties tonight, they better be either interference or boarding.

LET'S GO CAPS!

BEAT bOSTON!

Posted by: large23220 | January 17, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

67 posts and only 9 about the game tonight... it's one of the biggest games of the season!

Actually I'm an offender too: pawz, I thought that "break a leg" meant "break somebody's leg", as in "kick arse"... looking it up I realize that's only one of the meanings haha...

Back to the game... I hope our "A" team shows up, furious forecheck and all... it's a while since we've seen that for more than one period.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: mauree | January 17, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh if the Caps do not win tonight it probably means they won't catch boston, nothing about Stanley Cup. For all the injuries the Caps had, they pulled through and played good hockey.

As for the C debate, I really would like to see Bakis step up and take a leadership role, leaving Ovie to be Ovie. As said above the captain is the frontman diplomat of the team and I for one do not want Ovechkin adding how he represents the Caps to his list of daily duties.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 17, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I just heard on the radio that OV is whereing the "C" tonight..can anyone confirm?

Posted by: RichC3 | January 17, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Wearing the "C".......one day will learn to check my spelling....lol

Posted by: RichC3 | January 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse