Morning Skate Update

As expected, Mike Green (bruised shoulder), Alexander Semin (upper back strain) and Sergei Fedorov (sprained ankle) are all out tonight against the Wild. Jose Theodore, meantime, is expected to get the start in net and will face (the other) Niklas Backstrom.

Some other notes and quotes from the morning skate:

*Boudreau on not having Green in the lineup: "You don't realize how much you miss Mike Green until you don't have Mike Green. He's a one man breakout."

Okay, which nickname is better? Mike "Lambogreenie" Green or Mike "One man breakout" Green?

*The lineup is expected to look like yesterday's.

*GM George McPhee's Bowling Green jersey (with the 'C' on it) is hanging in a shrine to the Hobey Baker winners on the main concourse here at Xcel Energy Center. McPhee won award, given to college hockey's top player, in 1982.

*Boudreau on the Wild, which is averaging only 2.33 goals per game but still has 11 wins: "I think they are the best defensive team. They've got the best special teams. I just don't want to be the team they break out against [offensively]. It's going to happen sooner or later. They're good."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 24, 2008; 2:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nylander Dealing With Distraction
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

I like "Lambogreenie" myself... And going with the automotive theme, that would make Brashear the "Big Red PunchBuggy"... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | November 24, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I sure wish we could get everybody healthy all at once.

Posted by: _jordan | November 24, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Im not sure if you know this, but are Semin, Green and Fed's already back in DC to get treatment and rest?

Posted by: SA-Town | November 24, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

My vote's for Lambogreenie.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 24, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

what the heck is an "upper back strain"? we need Semin and Green back so badly.

Feds just needs to stay out until he's 110%. Can't mess with ankles...

Here's to hoping that we get a full team effort tonight to rescue the trip with 2 more points and a .500 road trip point tally (5 points in 5 games including the NJ SO loss).

Would go a LONG way to getting us on a new hot streak as we then rematch the Thrash (after game 1 debacle) at home Wed and then take on Theo's old squad on Friday.

It's amazing how quickly the ship can be righted in hockey. It starts with a big win tonight...

Posted by: MTB7 | November 24, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Given the Caps current breakout of late and lack thereof, I vote for "One man breakout".

Posted by: sjshanno | November 24, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I prefer lamborgreenie except for the nights where he is lamborgranny--leaving the goaltender out to dry like wet laundry on the clothesline...

Posted by: aybee27 | November 24, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Unleash the Booty Sweat!

Posted by: Section117 | November 24, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I like both nicknames.

I'm glad I don't have to stay up til 1 watching the game tonight.

Posted by: _jordan | November 24, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Want to hear a strange story?

Too bad, I'm gonna tell you anyway...

I am a longtime STH and currently sit on the glass. During the playoffs, the seat next to us was empty for every game. Man, I thought, who the heck can afford (or would want to) to miss these games! Well, this season, the seat was again empty all the time. I happened to write Ted about it and said there was a "missing seat" that seemed to always be empty and asked him if he would investigate the mystery. He was intrigued and promised to look into it. Well, some time later a Caps official (initials JVS) wrote me to say that yes, indeed I had found a seat that was not in the ticketmaster system, that is, the seat existed but was invisible all the same (one seat is about nine thousand dollars of lost revenue, not to mention the beer and peanuts). He also said that because they found one seat, he had the crew do a full sweep of the Phone Booth and they found a total of SEVEN additional seats that were not in the ticket computer!

The moral of the story is that the reason we don't have Carl Alzner on the roster is because of the missing seat revenue!

I think, anyway, I could be wrong about that last part.

Posted by: WhyGo | November 24, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

whygo,
why did you even mention it to Ted? think of all the cash you could have made by "upgrading" the $10 seat holders to on the glass. you could have had a new car this year if you had kept it to yourself.

then again, you sound like a good person. me, not so much! i hope you got something for the effort from the caps...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 24, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

They oughtta give you some kinda reward.

Posted by: _jordan | November 24, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking of the team, man! Every little bit helps...

They offered to give me a free pass (extra ticket) for that new seat, until they get it in the system. Hope they take there sweet time...

Posted by: WhyGo | November 24, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Cool story, Huh? Maybe Ted should send out a prompt to his buddies in the league to check out this "new revenue" source. Apparently, the guys who put in the seats (I mean actually bolt them in) are not totally in sinc with the other guys who sell those seats?

Posted by: WhyGo | November 24, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I say let's just put tonight's game into the LOSS column and move on. There is NO WAY in HELL we will win tonight's game without Semin or Green.

We will only win again when these two guys return to the line up.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | November 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I blame ESPN's arena capacity calculations.

Posted by: koalatek | November 24, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

i hate lambogreenie!!! as bad as hiphip huet.

the caps win tonight if they decide they are going to play a solid 60 of no-excuses, nothing pretty, shoot the puck crash the net hockey. barring that, could be a long night.

Posted by: doughless | November 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Good story, but not the reason we're not seeing Alzner right now.

Enjoy the extra elbow room until it's scarfed up.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 24, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Sorry about the hangover - how can I make it up to you?

Posted by: Boo- | November 24, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Whygo,

Very honest, but man its nice not having to share an arm rest with someone sitting next to you!

Posted by: stormblue | November 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Never tell us the odds?

Posted by: austinsteve | November 24, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know.

But maybe GMGM doesn't know?

Posted by: WhyGo | November 24, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Is that why my wife always makes me sit on the inside?

Posted by: WhyGo | November 24, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

gotta vote for lambogreenie (and the ability to call him lambogranny when he sucks) although I think its true that you don't realize how much you miss mike green until you don't have him! Tonight is going to be tough, but I think even if we don't do tonight its not the end of the world, that had to be like the toughest road trip possible and missing the people that we are missing its unrealistic to expect many wins. We'll be fine, we don't have to go any father than nashville (timezone wise, not sure about actual distances) for the rest of the season which is good.

Posted by: finnmeg | November 24, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Tarik quick question, will Tyler Sloan have to clear waivers or is he exempt? Thanks

Posted by: fehr11 | November 24, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve:

That's strange. They're missing 2 other games, too. Detroit-Vancouver, Carolina-Florida, and ours.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 24, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

How about Mike "Turn over leads to opposition goal" Green?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 24, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Or Mike "Pronger's Bi-atch" Green?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 24, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@MTB7 - an upper back strain in this case probably involves the AC joint, since the injury also involved Semin's shoulder. A strain is the equivalent of a sprain, only for muscles (sprains are for ligaments). In non-technical terms, Semin tore a muscle in his upper back/shoulder, and the only thing for it is to let it heal. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

My GUESS - and I did NOT see this happen, so this is ONLY a guess - is that he's separated his acromioclavicular joint.

If that is the case, it would be a type 1 injury, type 2 at the absolute worst, or he would be on LTIR.

The reason I am guessing this is that I have had a type 2-3 separated AC joint, and I know for a fact that it is damned painful.

A fully-dislocated shoulder would have him out on LTIR as well, because he would miss at least 8 weeks.

From my own experience, this type of injury causes pain all around the shoulder and into the upper back. It involves the trapezius muscle, and the deltoid, and it ALL hurts like a ring-tailed biznatch.

I would rather Semin stay off the ice until his doctors give him the go-ahead with no reservations. We don't need him pulling a Fedorov and trying to come back too soon. Even if I'm wrong (which I may well be), upper back/shoulder injuries ARE painful, and re-injuries (again, from personal experience) to that area are worse, and take longer to heal.

Posted by: irockthered | November 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@Fehr11 - Sloan will indeed have to clear Waivers.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Greg,

It's only hockey(?)

I figure our odds probably aren't great unless we can wear their D down for a while dumping into their zone and working the boards. Otherwise they're liable to wear our O down all game.

Posted by: austinsteve | November 24, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered:

phenomenal response. thanks.

Posted by: MTB7 | November 24, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah let semin heal. We need him 100%. An injury like that could hamper his shot and ability to manuever the rest of the season. That's the last thing we need.

I still don't get why people hate on Mike Green. Not every defenseman is of the Langway prototype.

He is young and still tries to do too much from time to time but Mike Green creates FAR more goals than he can be blamed for.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 24, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Caps finally getting their own half hour show on Comcast.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 24, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I apologize if this was brought up before, but for all those folks looking for a Tarik chat, according to the front pge of the online Sports section, there is one scheduled for this Wednesday at 11am.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 24, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Eddie! Too bad.

Eddie Jordan fired today.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 24, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Brash "ly knocks em on thier" ear....

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | November 24, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

1-11 record going into the holidays does not bode well for job security. Anyway, I'd like to see our boys finish the roadtrip on a high note. A win without Green, Semin, and Feds would show depth as well as Gabby's coaching abilities.

Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 24, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

M Green, the Flying Machine. :D

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | November 24, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Goepfert leads the ECHL with a 1.57 goals-against average. Goepfert's .943 save percentage is third. Michal Neuvirth is third in the league with a 1.58 goals-against average and leads the league in both save percentage (.950) and shut-outs (2).

Sad the timing has been off by a couple of years.

Posted by: majiksea | November 24, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

oops-- posted on wrong thread

SteveR:

I'll drink a couple for Boo! tonight. I owe her.

Boo!:

You might hear those clappers this weekend!

Posted by: uncatim | November 24, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I can see Neuvirth and Varlamov both in DC in the near future, either together or individually. It would be nice to see Varlamov start and Neuvirth backing up in the say, 2011-2012 season, Ovie wearing the C, and Alzner paired up with Green. Definitely possible, right?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 24, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Tim:
Thanks for hookin' me up!! I am guessing that Steve cannot afford a hangover on a Tuesday, so I am sure that he appreciates it, as well!! ;-) So when are you going - Friday? If so, I will keep an eye out for ya! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo- | November 24, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Minn hasn't been off for the last week while we have been playing to continuously have they? Because that has been a sucky trend.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | November 24, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Boo!:

Yes, Friday it is. I'm pretty excited -- it will be my first game this season. If my brother got seats in the same section as last year, we are in 425, I think.

Posted by: uncatim | November 24, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy r Green - I agree and submit as evidence his +/-.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | November 24, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Semin....Get back and play! (who is Crosby anyway? )remember those comments! Well Semin he is the guy that is playing right now!...What is it with Was. Caps they always have guys with injuries that last the whole year ...I would be looking at your Training staff..
I think the NHL should have a min. required games played before a player would be able to play in the playoffs .This way players like Semin.Nylander and others would not milk the days off...

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | November 24, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Re: Green's nickname - Ah, so that's whose car it is... My son stares at it when we go by in the parking garage.

Get well and come back soon Semin, Green and Federov! We need that spark in the offense (badly).

Posted by: valkova | November 24, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

@DannyBoy1975

Good idea, things are tough why bother trying.

Posted by: The_Spear | November 24, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice story WhyGo.

Why are some people surprise? It's the decent thing to do. Let's not forget good values folks :D

Really worried about tonight. Which karmalogically is good, every time I'm afraid we'll lose the Caps play really well and win. Of course, now I probably jinxed it...

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: mauree | November 24, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

What a save by Theo

Posted by: mauree | November 24, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

blame erskine for that one...

Posted by: numero94 | November 24, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

No blame the forwards who all disappeared. Who is he supposed to pass to.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 24, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Erskine had 2 men on him and could only come around the net as he did. There was another man on him there, but no one to pass to.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 24, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse