Morning Skate Update

Alexander Semin told me moments ago that he hopes to play tonight against the struggling Rangers at MSG. But it appears Jay Beagle will stick around and perhaps take the pregame warmup -- just in case.

"Semin couldn't practice the last few days, so we're not sure if he can play tonight," Boudreau said. "I would believe it's a minor thing."

*If Beagle, a 6 foot 3, 208-pounder does get in, he'll be the seventh player to make his NHL debut for the Caps this season. He has two goals in 25 games for the Bears, but the 23-year-old missed two months in Hershey with a concussion after a solid training camp in Washington.

"He's a big guy, he's physical, he finishes checks, and you're on the road where you usually have to be a little more physical because the home team is more physical," Boudreau said.

*Viktor Kozlov is on the trip, but didn't skate today and the team is off tomorrow. Boudreau said that Kozlov will skate on Friday and possibly return on Saturday or Sunday.

*Looks like Boudreau will be going with the same six defensemen since Staffan Kronwall and John Erskine stayed out longer than everyone else.

*I mentioned these tidbits yesterday, but they're worth repeating: The Caps can sweep the Rangers for the first time in franchise history tonight. And Mike Green can tie the NHL record for consecutive games with a goal for a defenseman tonight. Boudreau, by the way, is 5-0-0 vs. the Rangers.

"I'm just going to go out there and play," Green said of the record. "I'm not going to try to do something out of the ordinary."

*For Jose Theodore, tonight marks a return to the arena where his season turned around. Since that game -- a 5-4 OT win -- on Dec. 23 he's 11-4-1 with a .920 save percentage and 2.18 goals against.

"Since that moment in December, he's been stellar, if not better than stellar," Boudreau said. "He's been more focused or whatever the right word is. The bottom line is he's been better, and consequently, so is our record."

I'll check in again before the game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 11, 2009; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beagle Recalled
Next: Semin Out Tonight

Comments

I would rest Semin. No need to take risks when you have a nice lead in the Southeast.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 11, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Curious as to what Semin might be nursing...would rather have him 100% though, so hopefully he is smart about deciding whether or not to play. Regardless, should be a good game tonight.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | February 11, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Those are some great numbers for JT60 over the last 16. I was so frustrated with him earlier this season; it's good to see him playing so well. Considering all the falling apart D against him in the losses, and some of the wins, and I might even bump those numbers up.

Posted by: saintex | February 11, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

hope green gets a goal.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I just hope JT can turn around from his usual playoff performances.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice...

"Although Beagle has only three shots on goal in three preseason games, his stock surged Wednesday in Philadelphia, where he accepted an invitation from Flyers agitator Steve Downie to drop the gloves. After exchanging a series of punches, Beagle dropped Downie, who suffered a sprained knee during the scrap."

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Update: Is everyone prepared for the 21-game salute?

Guess by now everyone that is not a newbie is starting to see this picture. Picasso couldn't have painted a more beautiful scenario. Is anyone more excited than me about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabers (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run! All we need is a veteran puck moving defensman.

cool

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

From last thread:

haha, not so much the pens series as the nj/rags series. Lots of guys (who aren't there anymore) were sticking up for avery, none of them Orr.

Orr used to be a real bruiser, but it seems recently he has faded a little in the background. Honestly, I'd rather have a guy more of the parros/boll/mcleod type than the orr/brash build. they can actually do something with the puck sometimes, haha.

also, orr only has 11 majors this year. not too shabby, but a little less than his usual.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 12:33 PM

I would love Parros on this team! A Princeton grad turned enforcer! It would be awesome to hear a detailed explanation about why he had to kick some tail! "It was an egregious offense that could not be brushed off so easily. I dismissed one transgression, but upon seeing the second, I deemed a round of bloodletting in order." :)!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 12:42 PM

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Of course, you also have to beware of the Semin v. Staal Brawl II.

Posted by: saintex | February 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I have a few friends who played with Parros in the amateur leagues up in jersey. Needless to say, they are scared of him.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Well if Semin's out... at least we have our 200 goal scorer. Speaking of which check out his 200 goals in 200 seconds: http://theoldnhl.blogspot.com/2009/02/alex-ovechkins-first-200-goals-in-200.html

Posted by: DunnLoringDan | February 11, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

you did not answer my question.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 12:48 PM

Ignore that guy. He's probably sitting in the basement eating cheetos as we post. He's clearly just trying to draw a reaction out of you. If you love the sport you'll play wherever you get the chance to. I dont play football anymore (I havent since before law school), but I would play rec league if I had the time.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, I think I'd rather put Beagle in than Semin on this one. Not that I'm hating on Semin or anything - quite the opposite - but this is going to be a physical and dirty game, and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Staal will try to strip Semin again. Isn't the rule that Semin gets a one-game suspension if he gets stripped again? I really don't want that to happen, and I'm not betting on Semin fastening his fight strap (he usually doesn't).

Although, were I Boudreau, fight straps would be mandatory at this game for that reason :)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 11, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree, let Semin rest tonight and let Butcher Beagle make his debut. He got that nickname from Andrew Gordon after the Manchester game when he busted open his opponent in a 2nd period fight and there was still a big streak of blood on the ice after the game. It was quite the gash the Monarch got.

Posted by: BBDwrestling | February 11, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | February 11, 2009 12:57 PM

How awesome would Semin v Staal II be! The Rumble in the Garden!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I know I just said in the other thread that I dont condone fighting, but I would make an exception for this one ;)

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I too want to see Semin cut another drum solo tonight.

Posted by: _jordan | February 11, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one: Probably not. Let Semin score goals. I'd honestly rather he didn't dance unless it's around a couple of Dmen with a puck on his stick.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 11, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | February 11, 2009 1:03 PM

I was joking. Although a little redemption would be nice for him. You know players around the league are taunting him mercilessly.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Just youtubed the Beagle/Downie showdown. Not the greatest skirmish, but Beagle pretty much owned him.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 11, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

pavel datsyuk said that semin has the best hands in the NHL. of course players would be hating....

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one: True that. Of course, Semin doesn't seem like the type to really care. I'd like to see some redemption, but I'm not sure it's a good idea or the best thing for the team. I want the two points tonight - I'd like to keep the #2 spot in the conference, thanks.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Semin also say that Datsyuk is one of his favorite players? Team Russia is going to be sick as hell in the Olympics next year, we don't stand a chance against them.

Posted by: _jordan | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM

Agreed.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@_jordan

yeah, that's the funny part about it. That title easily goes to Datsyuk or Kovalev, and I have no doubt most NHL players would attribute it to either of them.

I just hope Semin does indeed evolve into the complete crazy deking two-way player datsyuk says he is.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _jordan | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM

Russia's top six is going to be unfair. They Olympic governing bodies need to enact policies to prevent Russia from fielding something like that.

Ovechkin-Malkin-Kovalchuk(Semin)
Semin(Kovalchuk)-Datsyuk-Kovalev(Radulov,Frolov)

INSANE!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

zherdev
morozov

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

zherdev
morozov

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:26 PM

I could see either in the top six. Good catch.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Smirnoff
Stolichnaya

Posted by: SA-Town | February 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Smirnoff
Stolichnaya

Posted by: SA-Town | February 11, 2009 1:32 PM

lol

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Just checked in and missed the postings about Ted.

I was at a Caps function last night hosted by Ted (Langway, Bondra, Labre and others also in attendance) and it is no suprise to me that he is rich in money and love.

Read about him or spend ten minutes with him and you know that he is the real deal. Sincerity, passion, hard work, eye on the prize and plenty of time left over for family & friends.

I wrote him an email once (I'll bet some of you have as well) and he answered right away and not with condecention but rather concern. He was not always wealthy and it is not hard to believe that he remembers that every day.

Just like us, he is a fan of the team. He believes in us, in our team, the coaches, players and administration.

Nobody is perfect and he has certainly made a mistake or two along the way (ahem, Jagr) but his work ethic borders or even surpasses the point of obsession. Still, he lets his GM GM, his coach coach and his players play.

And he joins us every game as a fan just watching our boys play, cheering when it is time and crestfallen when it is time.

Might just be the best owner in the business.

Name one better!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

and finally in a long time, they have good goalie stock.

khabi
nabokov
bryzgalov
varlamov

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town

Those are in my top-6!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 11, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

jagr wasn't his mistake. it was jagr not fitting in well with us.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Ted has said it was his mistake. Risking so much on one individual, not planning for the downside, etc.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

yeah, well all i'm saying is that jagr did well for new york.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

and finally in a long time, they have good goalie stock.

khabi
nabokov
bryzgalov
varlamov

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 1:37 PM

Their only potential weakness is a lack of elite defenders relative to a few other countries. They'll have a good defense corp with Markov, Volchenkov et al patrolling, but it pales in comparison to Canada's blueliners. I would also give the US and Sweden the advantage in that area as well. But Id take Russia's forwards over any countries.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I mutsa missed that. Did he play for NY? Where is that guy now anywho?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Vogel:

"Beagle would have gotten the call from the Caps much earlier this season had he not missed two months because of a concussion. He was impressive in a couple of pre-season showings."

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 11, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I read you. Not Ted's fault. Jagr is/was great, it just didn't work for us and Ted risked too much and it cost us. Lesson learned.

Don't look for any block buster trades at the finish line. I'll betting on a defensemen, but not at a great cost in players or future prospects.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Last season, I was explaining the key players on the team to friends down here during a game on tv and said that 'Semin has amazing hands.'

They laughed and teasingly wanted to know more about what sorts of things he does with those amazing hands...

Posted by: austinsteve | February 11, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

BONGO!!!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

And he ties his pink/peach/fusia ties!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

When did Tarik learn Russian? :-) Nyet, nyet...

"Alexander Semin told me moments ago that he hopes to play tonight against the struggling Rangers at MSG."

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 11, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Semin speaks a good bit of English. You see him have fairly long (ten, fifteen words or more) conversations with non-Russian players all the time on TV and live at games. I suppose it may be that it is more that he doesn't want to talk to the press (some exceptions apparently) for fear of looking or sounding dumb or being misquoted, rather than him being totally not understanding English at all.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Westminster Dog Show closed yesterday at MSG. Beagle is late. :-)

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 11, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

apparently I too have trouble with the Queens.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Pens're gonna improve!

"Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar today received medical clearance to return to the lineup."

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 11, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@WhyGo

Good point, Datsyuk may have had the big highlight goal of the week (so far) the other day, but Semin's in-game bongo solo proves his creativity is in a league all its own

Posted by: austinsteve | February 11, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Semin speaks a good bit of English."

Pardon, that's a profanity, he's not good at English. :-)

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 11, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

how about 'speaks a bit of good English' or 'bit a good English speaker'?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

He is our guy and we can tease him. That Bongo thing was funny.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Go Team Russia! Sorry. You got two Caps on that team and I don't necessary dislike the other players. I may even go out there and say that I kinda' like Evgeni Malkin now that he and Ovi have made up. Seems like I'll be looking for a Team Russia jersey in 2010. Sweet!

Oh, Semin! Yeah, love the guy. Love his sick skills. Might want to see him get into a proper fisticuff with Staal, to prove otherwise that he could throw a punch and erase any doubt that he could fight. Well, that's the irrational side of me. Rational side says let him rest. Gives Staal less to worry about tonight. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@gr8one

said: Team Russia is going to be sick as hell in the Olympics next year, we don't stand a chance against them.

Posted by: _jordan | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM

Ovechkin-Malkin-Kovalchuk(Semin)
Semin(Kovalchuk)-Datsyuk-Kovalev(Radulov,Frolov)

INSANE!

And Canada will own them anyways. Russia is not well balanced at all; just finesse..

By the way, Semin does not know quite a bit of English.

Posted by: atybat | February 11, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I need a lip-reader to tell us what he is saying when we see him talking on TV.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

So sad that Crosby is not only NOT the best player in the NHL, he is quite clearly NOT the bet player on his own TEAM.

Malkin is way better, don't we all think so?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

jagr now plays for OMSK Moscow i think. Though I could be wrong. It's some Moscow team, and it is the same team Cheraponov played on. (guy who died of a heart attack earlier this season)

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

crosby is a top 6 forward on any team, but he definetely is not a malkin or ovechkin.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Tell that to Buttman.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

sorry. misspelled that last one.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else pick-up of Bruce's confusing comments. They don't make much sense.

How could it be a "minor" thing if he is unable to practice or play over several days??? I thought "skating/playing" with a dislocated shoulder or with your mouth wire closed was "minor" thing.

"you're on the road where you usually have to be a little more physical because the home team is more physical," Boudreau said.

So what does that make the Caps when they are at home - a little more than more physical at home??????

Posted by: puckman | February 11, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

hahaha.

boudreau and his infamous circular logic. it gets the job done.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Crosby is really awesome, but they oversell him. Ovi lives up to the hype and beyond almost every game (like what, 9 out of 10 or more?) and Crosby only does once in a while.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

when you see a fork, eat with it

BB

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

yeah. anyone who is playing NHL level hockey at 18 is a beast in themselves. But, I'm happy we won the ovechkin draft, and lost the crosby pool.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Give Bruce a break; he's not exactly a rhodes scholar. He's been a career professional hockey player; that doesn't leave much time for sentence structure and english classes. The same goes for the rest of the caps. Something tells me that if Mike Green didn't have crazy hockey skills, he wouldn't be trying to pass the Bar next month.

Posted by: reesem37 | February 11, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It is my understanding that Semin has garnered respect not ridicule from other players. His fighting style may be funny, but the fact that he, not a fighter, tried to fight at all, gets respect. There are plenty of players today that will not drop the gloves, Semin should be one of them, but hey he stood up, did not back down and players respect that. Players don't really rspect smacking someone in the nads when they aren't looking, but dropping the gloves and going toe to toe, no matter how badly, gets respect not ridicule.

Posted by: majiksea | February 11, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

True life BB advice I got one day by accident

"G3, best kept secret in the mall"

seriously I was there.

Posted by: superpaqman | February 11, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Puck man,

A blister on the foot can keep you from practice but is not a serious thing...just an example...

Posted by: NJNJ | February 11, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one - Re: "It was an egregious offense that could not be brushed off so easily. I dismissed one transgression, but upon seeing the second, I deemed a round of bloodletting in order."

ROFL! "Accordingly, I removed my excess equipment, namely the gauntlets and helmet, and set to upon the vile offender, whom, I am certain, has learned his lesson and shall not commit that particular offense again. Should he do so, I will stand ready to pummel him once more into submission!"

Posted by: irockthered | February 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | February 11, 2009 3:09 PM

Lol. I want McPhee to get the deal done :)!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 11, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Interesting prediction from ESPN:

Posted by: Jeff_ | February 11, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Re: Semin's English... It doesn't take a mastery of the English language to be able to say "I hope to play."

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 11, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Damn STRAIGHT!!

Can you believe we can say that and be totally serious?

Remember the past and hope to never go there again...

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

He is tougher than it appears. I think a lot tougher.

Sure, he does seem to get injured, but he is a rather thin guy and his style of play does put his body in wierd positions just begging to get smacked.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Melrose. I've watched a lot of hockey this season - both online and at Verizon - and the Caps not only compete with but have a stellar record vs. the best in the East. I also agree with the premise of "if not now, when?" The team isn't perfect but none are right now.

Posted by: saintex | February 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey JSchon,Whats the fine for excessive use of bold type?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _jordan | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM

Ovechkin-Malkin-Kovalchuk(Semin)
Semin(Kovalchuk)-Datsyuk-Kovalev(Radulov,Frolov)

INSANE!

By the way, Semin does not know quite a bit of English.

I'm sorry did you watch the same exact game at the World championships that i did? IF so how in the world do you think canada will own russia, as a matter of fact, tell me when is the last time canada beat russia? Remember the Tourino olympics? Yep nabokov outdone Marty 2-0 ovechkin from kozy 1-0 and kovalev on 5-3 penalty resulting in gretsky crying like a baby.Lets not go into canada blowing a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period last year and when russia won ovechkin dug up lucky penny from center ice in CANADA!
For those talking about Russian Dmen, yes not really as good as canadian but still not shabby, too bad Zubov wont ever play for russia.
Gonchar Markov
Volchenkov Tyitin
kalinin vishnevski
Goalies going to be
Nabakov/(maybe khabibulin) Eremenko,Varlamov
Sorry bryzgalov probably will never play for russia either as he got blamed for a loss in a first game of group play against slovakia in 06 olympics and never again did he start a game for team russia after that game.

Posted by: madboost35 | February 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

ok i'll stop caps

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff_:Barry Melrose: I think the finals will be Detroit and Washington. I think the Caps are the most talented team in the East and Detroit is still the team in the West until San Jose can show us differently.

We're screwed if Melrose is picking us!!

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

woah...madboost35, learn how to use some punctuation. much of your post made no sense.

Posted by: virkulous | February 11, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I just hope JT can turn around from his usual playoff performances.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 12:42 PM

Hmmmm...
JT60's career playoff numbers:
GP = 47 GAA = 2.76 SV% = .914

Doesn't look terrible to me.

Posted by: CapManJ | February 11, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Virkulous......i'll make sure to use punctuation and spell properly, on the interweb just for you

Posted by: madboost35 | February 11, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

madboost35...not just for me. i'm sure many people just stared at your post and said, "Huh?"

Posted by: virkulous | February 11, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

everyone please post AS you please, please.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil, Jagr plays for Avangard Omsk, which is located in Siberia. Last time I checked Moscow had not moved.

Posted by: Graveysgrl | February 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Being a newbie, I was hoping you guys could surmise the likelihood of me having to fly out to DC again in mid to late April for possible home games during the playoffs which is beginning to be a likelihood for the Caps. I was thinking is it likely that they could have a Thursday and Saturday game in the same week, much like they did during my last trip where they played the Kings on Thursday and then the Panthers? Just wondering. Giddy with excitement! *smiles fiendishly after figuring out a way to express happiness without using emoticons*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
I agree that there should be a fine for excessive bold, as well as for asking JSchon about fines! ;-) (For the record, I did just that yesterday.)

I hope the Caps show up with their A game tonight. They 'should' win, but those are the games that they often lose. The Rangers will be hungry for a win ... will the Caps be hungrier?!?

Posted by: Boo- | February 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Is it sad that when Boo mentioned being hungry I had a flashback to someone's comment from this summer where they said Schultz needs to be locked in a cage and fed only raw meat and protien shakes, and only let out to hit the gym?

Posted by: superpaqman | February 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@leftcoast,

Last year's first rounder vs. the Flyers had game 1 on a Friday and game 2 on a Sunday at Verizon. After either the first two games for the home team, or games 3 and 4 for the road team, there won't be two-in-row during conference play since it moves to a 1-1-1 format. If we assume (!) the Caps have home ice to open the playoffs then games 1 and 2 will be at Verizon. I'm not sure how the NHL sets up the four opening round series - TV? time zones, etc. - but I think they'd want to feature the Caps so we'd probably have a Thur/Sat or Fri/Sun first two games.

Based on the knowledge of this crew, I'm sure there's better scoobies than my guessing.

Posted by: saintex | February 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman:
Not sad as much as creepy.

Posted by: Boo- | February 11, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

True....

Posted by: superpaqman | February 11, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

This feels like the blog equivient of an awkward silence

Posted by: superpaqman | February 11, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

it is always silent on the blog, except for the sounds of life going on around us....

Posted by: WhyGo | February 11, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I kind of hope we win in OT, so we can get the 2 pts, and the Rangers can stay 1 pt up on the Penguins.

Im starting to pull for Buffalo, Rangers and Montreal. I dont even mind Carolina or Florida winning to keep Pitt down, as long as they are not within 10 pts of us.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 11, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

deep....and in space no one can hear you scream

Posted by: superpaqman | February 11, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman:

"This feels like the blog equivient of an awkward silence"
LOL!! :-)

"deep....and in space no one can hear you scream"
Also creepy ...

Posted by: Boo- | February 11, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Doh! New thread - Semin out.

Posted by: Boo- | February 11, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I am still rooting for the CAPS, Panthers, and the Canes to make the the play-offs......I can see NYR or the Sabres dropping out. Buffalo has a tough road with Vanek being out for a few weeks. Rangers have been up in the standings because of OT/Shoot-out record.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 11, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@capmanJ

19-24

@gravesysgrl

thank you.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 11, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, saintex. If they get a Thursday and Saturday combo, expect me to be as close to the Caps bench for both games. *smiles giddily that an April visit to DC is looking like a 70% possibility*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 12, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse