Morning Skate Update: Brashear's Knee 'Not Good'

I spoke to Donald Brashear briefly this morning, and when I asked him about his knee, he said, "not good" after getting in an off-ice workout. He was also walking with limp when he headed to the bus. I'm thinking he won't be ready to go tonight and that Michael Nylander will be in (potentially throwing the forward combos into a bit of chaos). But check back before the game for the latest on the lineup.

Bradley's Shiner
I talked to Matt Bradley on the phone yesterday. But today I talked to him-face-to-face for the first time since he got a headbutt from Nashville's Jordin Tootoo on Tuesday. It's not pretty. His right eye is black and blue and his got a pretty deep gash on the bridge of his nose. In an effort to protect that area of his face, he's wearing a visor for the first time since juniors.

"I just put on in case I get hit there again," Bradley said. "It feels fine. It, obviously, doesn't look very good. But I'll be 100 percent tonight."

Briere's Back
As I mentioned yesterday, Flyers Coach John Stevens expects Danny Briere to be back in the lineup after suffering a minor setback with the groin injury that has dogged him for a lot of the season. Steven said yesterday that expects to monitor Briere's minutes more closely tonight, so that could mean that he'll be a first line talent skating on the third line.

Theodore vs. Biron
Unless the Flyers have made a change, tonight's goaltending matchup figures to be Marty Biron vs. Jose Theodore, who has a 1.95 goals against average and .924 save percentage in the last three games.

Fedorov Ties Record
Sergei Fedorov's OT goal in Nashville was the 15th of his career, tying the NHL record for overtime goals. Mats Sundin, Jaromir Jagr and Patrik Elias also have 15 OT tallies.

More Malamud
Check back in a little bit for an item from the Insider's Russia Correspondent, Slava Malamud, who weighs in with an interesting look at Donald Brashear and the KHL's desire to increase fighting.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 12, 2009; 1:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brashear 'Questionable at Best'
Next: Pothier Making Strides in Hershey

Comments

Someone post that video of Brashear beating the living hell out of that person when he tried to play over in Euro for the lockout.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Brads, you look fine!

Posted by: SPKK | March 12, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

also, congrats Feds.

get a few more to lock that record in for you.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe they would play Biron after what Nittimaki did in the first game in Philly.

That game still haunts us as we absolutely took it to them in the first..set records on shots on goal...and lost 7-1...

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

BRIERE!!! (Think Newman!!!) Wait ... BIRON!!! Darn Flyers.

Tarik - we need a picture of Brads' shiner. (Is it wrong that I feel worse for Brads than Brash?)

lylewimbeldon:
Welcome back! Where you been hiding? I agree about Ovi. My theory is that his foot is still smartin' so he is not putting all of his weight on it like he normally would. If nothing else, that would make him off kilter when he shoots (hence all the fanning) ... or it would just make him wonky in general.

SAtown:
Death Squad - HA! That was a good one!! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 12, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@tarik

I assume Brashear and doctors have ruled out structure damage or anything long term, or is it too early to tell?

I know sometimes you need swelling down to do an MRI.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

THat 3 game GAA and save percentage was for Joe Say or Biron? I'm assuming Biron, but it reads like JT. Thanks.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 12, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

here you go...Brashear killing some European during the lockout!

Posted by: CapsSkins | March 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

its for Jose, I believe. Toronto, Pittsbugh and Nashville, with two OT games involved lowers the GAA.

Posted by: ThePat | March 12, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

that link is confusing as hell. for people who have not seen it yet;

also;

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru -- those goalie #'s are indeed for Jose.

Posted by: Jeff_ | March 12, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I think JT60's GAA the last three is really 2.00 (2 vs. Toronto, 3 vs. Pens, 1 vs. Nash). 1.95 looks better but isn't correct. He's made some great saves over the last week and kept the team in games. If he can stone three or four great shots tonight, we can win.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Golly, my short term memory really is selective. All I remember are the Florida and Carolina scores. Sorry. Thanks for the corrections

Posted by: Leeguru | March 12, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that OT games change GAA...I stand corrected.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

GAA is per 60 minutes played, not per "game." So if you played 1 period and let in 5 goals, your GAA would be 15! If you win an OT game 201, you would have 1 goal per 65 minutes played, or GAA = 0.92

Posted by: Baildog | March 12, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

well let's not forget this one now!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | March 12, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

previous post:

@Fanohock

Yes by grit I mean, Holmstrom, Draper, Cleary, McCarthy, Chelios, Franzen, Hudler, Maltby, Rafalski, Stuart...how many playoff games and Cups between them?

Mike Green is a wonderful offensive player, but his defensive play is lacking...those stats are deceiving because he is on the ice so much. He can be pretty terrible in his own zone reading coverages. If we are giving out the Norris for the best offensive blueliner than fine he should be in the running, but he is no where near Lidstrom - Chara in terms of defense. At least not this year...he needs to be more consistant in his own zone.

I have hope and faith, but IMO don't think we are built for the long, battling, bleeding, SC series that are the norm. I'd like to us grow some bigger balls is all.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

that should read "...win an OT game 2-1..."

Posted by: Baildog | March 12, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins

I left that one out because it was a cheap shot and we lost the game because of that.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought head butts were an automatic suspension? Of all the BS they're pulling in terms of changes to fighting, you'd think they could make head butts a mandatory punishment.

Players' hands are tied up all the time in fights. Part of the reason it's allowed is because it's part of the "code" that players only use their fists to fight, not skates, knees, elbows, heads, ect.

Posted by: redskins91 | March 12, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Brash being out as that big of a problem, since I don't remember the last time Brash actually protected one of our real hockey players and if his only reason to be on the ice is to sit in the box with their fighter, so be it. Tell Nylander to drop the gloves and fall down with the first swing.

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 2:47 PM

I'm shocked we didn't replace Brashear with Brennan or Grant McNeill. No wait, I'm not. That's just par for the course with the Caps. Nyles should be a big help tonight in Philly. He always plays well in the "tough" games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 12, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

just watched the clips of brash fighting....what an absolute goon Brashear is........in the euro fight he head butts the guy then pummels him on the ice and sucker punches when its broken up
In the 1punch clip he hits the guy with his glove on!!!!Absolutely classless display by Brash

Posted by: wendel2 | March 12, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

let's not be stupid about this.

the only reason we need Brashear is because the Caps lineup has enough talented players that many opposing clubs can't just line up and play hockey, their only chance is to goon it up and try and hurt Ovechkin or Semin.

As long as the NHL allows teams to carry guys that do nothing but fight and slash other players from behind with their sticks than the Caps will need a guy like Brashear.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 12, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Since the phlowers are the most penalized team in the league withoug Brash in the lineup we should get 12 - 15 PPs tonight (assuming the refs call the game correctly). Ha Ha

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 12, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse