Morning Skate Update

With his injury-plagued team on a two-game losing streak, and secondary scoring suddenly hard to come by, Coach Bruce Boudreau shook things up this morning.

Again.

The Caps recalled Keith Aucoin, the AHL's leading scorer, and Boudreau has put the smallish center on the second line for tonight's game against the New York Islanders.

But the addition of Aucoin wasn't all that was different. Boudreau also made some interesting changes to his forward combos (though he wouldn't swear to sticking with them for more than a shift). Anyway, here's what the lines looked like:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Nylander
(Yep. Nylander was on the wing)
Fleischmann-Aucoin-Kozlov
Laich-Gordon-Fehr
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley
(Graham Mink was reassigned)

"I just wanted to see how he felt," Boudreau said of moving Nylander. "It could last one shift or it might not even start that way."

Asked for his reasoning behind the switch (or experiment, depending on what happens tonight) Boudreau said: "I've got my reasons. But I'm not telling you."

Perhaps Boudreau is hoping it will get Nylander going offensively. After all, Nylander has only two goals this season and none since October.

(Nylander, by the way, couldn't recall the last time he played wing, and when I asked Nicklas Backstrom about it, Chris Clark joked that Backstrom wasn't even born the last time Nylander played wing. For the record, Nylander denies that it's been so long.)

"It happens sometimes in games," Nylander said. "It's fine. [The coaches] want me to shoot more than I have been lately. I just know I have to do that. That's all I have to say about that."

A few other notes from this morning:

*Boudreau was unusually fired up this morning. At one point he called over his players for a pep talk. But because this is a family newspaper, I cannot repeat anything that was said.

"I'm not used to losing, and I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like it," said Boudreau, whose squad has dropped five of seven. "If I'm fired up, they follow my lead pretty well, and I want them to be fired up."

*Brent Johnson will indeed start tonight.

*There wasn't much news on the injury front, other than the Caps are still ridiculously banged up.

*Tom Poti practiced at about 50 percent today and Mike Green skated in a limited capacity, too. Both said they are hoping to travel this weekend, but I would be surprised if either D-man played in Toronto or Carolina.

*Alexander Semin, meantime, skated after practice. But there's still no timetable for his return. "He looks closer, but he's looked closer for a couple of weeks now," Boudreau said.

*Sergei Fedorov and John Erskine, however, did not skate at all today.

*Aucoin on getting his first recall with the Caps: "I know what kind of players [Fleischmann and Kozlov] are. I just have to get them the puck and let them do what they have to do and get open for them."

Aucoin has nine goals and 27 assists in 24 games to lead the AHL. He said he hopes to play well enough to stick around for a bit.

*The Islanders, who have won six of nine and have been off for five days, are the only Eastern Conference team Boudreau hasn't defeated.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 4, 2008; 10:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aucoin Recalled
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

Liut

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 4, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Will someone explain to me why Federov skates yesterday, then he is off today?

What kind of doctors do we have? Get him in a boot or something and shut him down until January first so we can have for the 2nd half of the season.

I try to not worry about injuries, but it just seems really stupid to me!

Posted by: SA-Town | December 4, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

let's hope johnson plays better than his last couple games.

Posted by: _stevo | December 4, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Well it officially sounds like everyone on this team including coaches and management are genuinely pissed off... as they should be. That game against Florida was disgusting and pathetic. I couldn't pick out a single player I thought played well. Should be one of those games the players decide to donate their game checks to charity. I hope to see a high-energy, pissed off team tonight!

Posted by: dsphvywght | December 4, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

SA

Same reason I thought I could come back on my wonky ankle and found myself out even longer. It feels fine for a bit. Then you try to do something strenuous and bam, it's worse than before.

Feds's has never had one before. Again, it's not like it's a broken bone. There's no timetable for this. I would agree, he should have been shut down completely for 2-3 weeks...but if you're a doctor and a guy tells you his ankle feels fine, what you gonna do? Piss off a guy like Feds?

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I expect the boys to come out pretty fired up. Maybe Brashear gets into it early, something to show some spark. 5 to 1 win tonight - back on track.

dollar hotdogs - hell yea.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 4, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Now I'm starting to feel anxious about Erskine. I know that concussions are nothing to triffle with, but being called a minor concussion and saying he'll play next week and he's barely on the ice is bothersome. Not that I really want to see him in the lineup, but as a person. We've heard day-to-day on Semin and haven't seen him in a few weeks. I'm wondering if this concussion isn't worse than they're letting on.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 4, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey,
There is a game notes email that goes out the day of the home games. Season ticket holders just have to let guest services or their rep know and provide an email address. It has much more than the roster sheets they have at the guest services at Verizon Center.

Posted by: _Mark | December 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Greg

You touched on something I mentioned in the previous blog.

We don't know Erskine's Concussion isn't as bad as Pothier's was.
We don't know that Poti's Groin isn't as bad as Clark's was.
We don't know Semin's back isn't as bad as Fehr's was.
We don't know Green's shoulder isn't as bad as Nylander's was.
We don't know Feds' Ankle isn't as bad as Semins was.

Not that I'm trying to scare anyone, but these are no-timetable type injuries and as a team, we might have to assume these guys will be out for a while. BB should just stick with some things for a bit and let guys learn how to play with eachother.

There have been too many times over the last few weeks where a guy with the puck will be looking around trying to find a teammate. THAT's a huge reason we're as bad as we are right now. With more time to learn your linemates style, you spend less time looking for the pass, and more time making the pass on time.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The whole injury situation is a mess. Not one person seems to have a grasp of their injury or when it is smart to come back.

Guys gets close, the prognosis is improving, then bam...setback and more time.

I bed Ted is going crazy watching his fancy cars sit in the shop and no one knows how to fix them.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 4, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Nyles- "That's all I have to say about that."

Sounds sort of Forrest Gump-ish. :)

Posted by: _Mark | December 4, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

(because I know everyone is sick of me discussing stress fractures....) Sprained ankles SUCK. Any soft tissue injury does, but ankles are extra difficult because you're asking this very small but complex joint to hold up the entire body. I don't know the severity of Fedorov's injury, but one ankle sprain took me MONTHS to fully recover from-as in feel 100% and have the full strength and flexibility I had prior to the injury.

Posted by: RedBirdie | December 4, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I got a huge kick out of this:

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

ok, Tarik, this is, without a doubt, the funniest thing I've read today: "Boudreau was unusually fired up this morning. At one point he called over his players for a pep talk. But because this is a family newspaper, I cannot repeat anything that was said." I knew there was a reason I belw off finishing reports to read the blog!

Posted by: RedBirdie | December 4, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Coach probably pulled a "Les Grossman," from Tropic Thunder and made Bradley punch Steckel in the face.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 4, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I understand that there's a certain strategy to listing someone as day-to-day vs IR or LTIR. As an opposing team, you don't know who you'll be playing against.

That knife cuts both ways, though. The team doesn't know who will be on their lines. Each player has different attributes and skill-sets. Some players go to the net while others will circle like vultures looking for the opening. Where do you pass the puck to? Net? Circle?

The players themselves may be pushing to get back into the lineup before they're ready to go. Perhaps knowing that they have 2 weeks will take the pressure off to come back, to let them rest up and heal.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 4, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Anyone care to guess who the moron was? Think maybe we've read the drivel here before? We could probably all provide nominees...

and no, I'm not asking you to reply with names.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 4, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

i also think that the line experimentation needs to be given a rest. chemistry is suffering. that said, i am happy to see Nyls moved to the top line. don't worry, things are gonna be fine.

Posted by: doughless | December 4, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I interpret Nylander's move to wing more for the purpose of checking out Aucoin than for getting Nylander more involved offensively. Wouldn't make sense to put Aucoin in place of the two faceoff-leading centermen (Gordon and Steckl). Nor would you want to break up Backie and Ovi. [Initiate countdown to the reappearance of Nylander trader rumors in 3..2..1..]

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 4, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

although Steckel wins his share of faceoffs, he has been one of the many who is not scoring of late. Nyls is gonna make the most of the opportunity. mark my words.

Posted by: doughless | December 4, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the continual line changes - it's clear to me that Boudreau has to do that in light of all the injuries. My other favorite team, the Devils, have been racked with significant injuries (in addition to Brodeur) and Sutter has continually played with line combinations - and the Devils' blogs get the same reaction from the fans as we see here.

Let's hope we have everyone back and healthy by Christmas - I'd be happy with that in my stocking!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 4, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I love the Liut reference up front (am I missing something), and will be wearing my Liut jersey tonight.

I personally don't understand starting Johnson here. Theo has been playing much better than his numbers.

Posted by: Chris57 | December 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

1) Will be interesting to see if The Donald 'dances' with isles enforcer Mitch Fritz. He's 6'8, 260 lbs!

Posted by: fauxrumors | December 4, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll be shocked if we see Donald get into any unnecessary fights until we get some of our depth back. Remember, we're short 1 enforcer already.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

After Brash gives Fritz "the shake" and then pummels him, we can all yell "TIMBER!" when he goes down...

Posted by: Roose | December 4, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the offensive guys will have a good enough start to where we won't need Brash mixing it up early to get everybody going.

Posted by: _jordan | December 4, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The Answer:

We know Erskine's Concussion is as bad as Pothier's was and maybe worse.
We know that Poti's Groin is as bad as Clark's was and maybe worse.
We don't Semin's back (er rotator cuff)is really bad.
We know Green's shoulder is bad but not as worse as Nylander's was.
We know Feds' Ankle is as bad as Semins was and maybe worse.

:oP

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 4, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The Answer:

We know Erskine's Concussion is as bad as Pothier's was and maybe worse.
We know that Poti's Groin is as bad as Clark's was and maybe worse.
We don't Semin's back (er rotator cuff)is really bad.
We know Green's shoulder is bad but not as worse as Nylander's was.
We know Feds' Ankle is as bad as Semins was and maybe worse.

:oP

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 4, 2008 1:05 PM

No we don't

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 4, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

that guy Mitch Fritz in his first NHL fight fought Laraquee and won the fight pretty easily. The donald will have his hands full if he decides to dance

Posted by: _stevo | December 4, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

With all the line juggling this entire season, even when we had healthy players, is anyone else wondering why BB didn't go back to his line of OV/Laich/Kozlov he went to after Backstrom got off to a slow start in the playoffs. I thought we played games 5, 6, and 7, with that line in tact and Backstrom playing with Semin and ? on the 2nd line. Those two lines clicked enough to push to an exciting game 7. This season I haven't seen Laich on the ice with OV unless it's a PP.

Just an observation. BB has his reasons I'm sure, and he is an extremely successful coach so I wouldn't assume to be able to come up with answers that he can't when it comes to juggling the lines.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 4, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

fanohock

it was Ovie/Feds/Koz in the playoffs.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Interesting.

Philly just announced: Groin Strain sidelines Emo-Kid 4-5 weeks.

Caps training staff take note. 4-5 weeks is not Day-to-day.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

the injury situation is certainly frustrating. but really, does it make you feel any better if they said poti was out 4-5 weeks and he comes back in 3, than being "day-to-day" and coming back in 3 weeks anyway? guys have injuries that are hard to figure out. believe me, if they felt poti/semin/feds were going to be out 4-5 weeks, they'd be in LTIR w/ schultz and clarke to get the cap relief.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 4, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town, that's what gets me. Feds has no clue how to handle this injury (he's never had one before), so the responsibility lies 100% with team doctors to tell him how to handle it. Just shut him down for a week or two and see what happens.

Posted by: DrAdamson | December 4, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 4, 2008 1:24 PM

-------------

Quoted for truth. The guys will come back when they're ready. They hopefully learned their lessons from Clark last season and Fedorov this season about what happens when you try to rush things.

Posted by: _jordan | December 4, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

BB should just shut his big fat mouth about the injuries before he creates more false hopes and then dashes them.

For example, in Semin's case, he went from "very very close," to "I don't know," to "I'm just not telling you because I'm sick of you asking all the time," back to "very very close" again.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 4, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

blah: nice one for the liut post

Posted by: 202-206 | December 4, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Can't Aucoin wear a different number? It makes me sad to see Caps other than Pivo wearing number 20.

Posted by: _jordan | December 4, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 4, 2008 1:32 PM
-------------------------------------------
Boudreau can't hear or see you, that big shiny Jack Adams trophy is in the way.

Oh, and don't forget the part about being upset that he reinjured himself, when you feigned disappointment after 2 weeks of having him come back 5 minutes ago.

Fred.

Posted by: Section117 | December 4, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

FFSEnough: You are absolutely right. The question mark on the 2nd line was Laich, and Feds was the center on the first line. So, why didn't we start the season the way we finished? Moot now since we have all the injuries.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 4, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I had a badly sprained ankle in '93, was limping for a goof 6 months. That ankle still swells every day.

Posted by: chuckatcws | December 4, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Danny,
Nice one - another classic post! Keep it up.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 4, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of keeping big fat mouths shut...

Posted by: Greg S. | December 4, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Danny. You are correct. Considering that BB's primary responsibility is to manage the expectations of fans, he really is a lousy coach.

Posted by: Baildog | December 4, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I had a bum bum injury and it still hurts from days gone by.

Bad news on the injury front. Quite the pollyannas here.

Injury update later.

Bum Bum

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 4, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Jordan,

I loved Pivonka, too, but five other guys have worn that sweater since he left.

Kelly Miller is one of my all-time favorite Caps, but it didn't make me sad to see Ulf Dahlen or Matt Bradley wear #10.

Now that I think of it, though, Friesen was weird for me, so maybe I should cut you some more slack.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

brash fight lol? he doesnt hit he just envisions the 1million plus he is getting for being a veteran(too old to fight more than once a month)on a team where he bathes in past glories and floats like the majority of this team as evidenced in our performance against Florida. Wainting for this has been to lead this team is a joke and is why we are not going anywhere with him and nylander and others who just dont give a shyt on every shift of every game like u need to to win and avoid embarrassment in todays nhl

Posted by: wendel2 | December 4, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

kelly miller was on of my favorite caps too, and to be honest, seeing dahlen wear 10 saddened me a little bit. Bradley, on the other hand, i believe, wears it well.

Posted by: brooklyncapsfan | December 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

fanohock

Not sure the point is moot. That was one of the major points I was trying to raise at the end of the season before I gook my summer hiatus from the blog. How do we star the year... With the combo that got Ovie 65 goals and a ton of hardware, or the combo that played so well vs. Philly.

I think we went the right way, it just didn't look like it cause of Backy's ankle. We can safely say 8/19/X is the way to go...but if we run into Philly again this year, we might want to consider 91 if he's healthy. Hell, if this 8/19/92 works, I'd love to see an 8/19/91. DEADLY.

jordan

At least we won't have to see anyone don the 11 anymore. Now, if we can just get Bonzai's number retired I'd be ok.

I will make a motion though... Can Keith' Aucoin's official nickname be "Gold Coin?"

Such a nerd, I know.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

if my memory serves me correctly, Brash did a pretty good job of pummeling a Shark on the west coast tour.

Posted by: doughless | December 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

wendel2: Take a hike! The Florida game did suck, and was painful to watch. However, a true fan doesn't bag on a team that puts out a poor effort every once in a while. The NHLers left on the ice are really having to dig deep to try to keep this team afloat right now. They were bound to show another flat spell. I think BBs plea is more for the young guys to step up and act like NHLers like they aspire to be. Nyls needs to score more but if anyone is going to say he stinks knows absolutely nothing about hockey. Yeah, he curls a few more time than I like, but the man could skate a circle in a phone booth and still make a pass.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 4, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

wendel, spot on. we're going nowhere with these losers...wait, what's that...first place in the division? 5th in points in the east despite all these injuries? top 5 in goals score in the nhl? 9-1-1 at home? yeah, nowhere.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 4, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

who lets these dimwits in here anyway????

Posted by: doughless | December 4, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

My hockey stick is bigger than your hockey stick... *sarcasm*

While it's true the Caps have had numerous problems of late: injuries, poor defense, poor energy levels etc. The Caps are in great position for this point of the season.

Poo happens in life & in the NHL, and as I understand it, nearly every team in the league this season has lost at least 1 major star on their team. We've lost about 8+ and we are still doing well.

Everyone needs to pull their heads out of the clouds and come back to earth, yes there are high expectations for the Caps, but are they really THAT high? Reality folks...

Posted by: migz | December 4, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

FFSEnough,

SECONDED on retiring Bondra's 12. Nobody should ever ever ever be allowed to wear that. He and Pivo were my favorites. And Sylvan Cote. I think Poti does the 3 justice, though.

Posted by: _jordan | December 4, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 a bad game once in awhile ????lol when was the last time your buddy Nylander had a goal??? he has 2 this year lets build the franchise around him dont take a hike but maybe a reality check.

Posted by: wendel2 | December 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

wendel, nylander is not a goal scorer

Posted by: _stevo | December 4, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Some of the people here remind me of how my wife watches hockey.

She gets upset if we don't spend all 60 min in the offensive zone. Attempted shots against us drive her nuts, and any shot of ours that's not a goal is a complete failure.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

u r absolutely right steveo several of our dmen have more goals than he does..thats why dumping him is ok with me

Posted by: wendel2 | December 4, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

FFSEnough,

So true. It would be nice for some people to have patience, but then again, you can't push a donkey up the stairs... or is it down the stairs?

Posted by: _828 | December 4, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I have seen Aucoin here in hershey.I cannt understand why he is still in the ahl?

Posted by: sporttraveler | December 4, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Nylander, only 2x in his career, has been a point-per-game guy over the course of a full season. He has typically been a cog on the PP which until recent injuries, he has not been a part of on this team.

While he was a point-per-game guy, he was paired with Jagr and Straka. As much as we all hate Jagr, I don't think anyone of us could argue that even on the best line for 92, that Flash/Fehr = the talent of Straka and Jagr.

Just some things to think about.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 4, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Nylander provided a pretty good reason on why he's been moved to the wing. He needs to shoot more. The last few games, he has had tons of opportunities but he has just been hesitant to shoot. He looks for the pass first.

As for Aucion, I've never seen him play; so I'm excited to see what he can do, tonight.

Posted by: elicea | December 4, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

FFS-

right on about Nyls. i think the big problem with his production for the Caps is that he is not being paired with the right duo. i would like to see him center OV more. one thing I have noticed of late about some of OV's goals: he is scoring weak side when teams are scrambling for the puck in front of the net, weak side or in the slot. given Nyls passing skils, i think he can lite OV up on the weak side. ditto on a line with Flash & Semin.

Posted by: doughless | December 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov is clearly the better center, out of him and Nyls. he outplayed him when both were in the lineup together (and thats with a couple games played on defence).

Only question is when will he finally come back healthy?

Posted by: DrAdamson | December 4, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't subscribe to the theory that Nyls needs to shoot more. He is not a shooter. I think guys like Jurcina should shoot more. That guy has low laser that will eventually find the back of the net. Having been a Caps fan since the beginning, I never felt this way before about this team. Yes they have off nights and go through bad stretches, but I have never felt this optomistic. Even in the face of losses on the west coast I thought scheduling was just as big a factor as injuries and bad play. That being said, they still lead thier division and are only 9 points behind the conference leaders. There is a long way to go and take heart Caps fans, they are still in first and 20 points ahead of where they were last year at this time.

Posted by: psugolf | December 4, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

anything short 2 pointa ia a failure. Nylander needs to get untracked, but so do alot of other forwards,centers,defenseman and goalies. Just about covers it does'nt it? How about a little leadership at the blueline? Long overdue. At least its not three-or-more in net. The Islanders cannot be taken for granted.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 4, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Arrived at the party late - seems kinda hostile in here...ya'all grumpy?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 4, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

INJURY UPDATE:

5 little CAP fans jumping on the bed (during a CAPs game) one fell off and bumped his head...

Bad injuries I'm telling you!

what are we going to do the rest of the season without a healthy Greeny,scratched Semin, and Feds bum ankle? And a overpriced goalie to boot? and an overpriced Russian winger (kozlov) and a got n heart Nylander (he's knows he is on his way out so why give it all -- all attitude)?

Team is in trouble boys and girls.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 4, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

can I get a dictionary entry on what a windjammersouth is?

Posted by: _stevo | December 4, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Did FFSEnough call in sick today? injury?

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 4, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

stevo -

my dictionary says that wjs = donkey

Posted by: doughless | December 4, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

yeah mine was reading something of that nature

Posted by: _stevo | December 4, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

TICKETS!

I have one pair of tickets that will go to anyone EXCEPT windjammersouth, Cheef or wendel2. They are:

Section 405, Row L, seats 19 and 20

Face value on the tickets is $35. First come, first served for both tickets at $40 for the pair.

E-mail me privately at irockthered {at} gmail {dot} com if you are interested.

Posted by: irockthered | December 4, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@psugolf

You're right, Nylander is a center, and his job is to pass. But when he is in the best position to have an SOG, he needs to shoot the puck. In the past few games, he has been getting in the best positions to shoot, but instead he decides to hold onto the puck, and wait for a line mate to get into an open spot, for him to pass to. Sometimes it works, but for the most part, the opponent's D has usually been able to take the puck away from him, and skate down towards Caps' goaltenders.

Posted by: elicea | December 4, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@elicea - Keith Aucoin is GOOD. I've watched him several times in Hershey. Im-pressive!

Posted by: irockthered | December 4, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"my dictionary says that wjs = donkey"

That's insulting to the donkey

Posted by: Steve_R | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@sporttraveler - the ONLY reason Aucoin is still AHL is our salary cap. He should be playing for the Capitals, but we're right up against the cap, and there's nothing for it right now but to wait. He'll be here soon, for good, I'm sure. If not this season, then next.

Posted by: irockthered | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rock - Which center should we get rid of so your boy Aucoin can play? You may be right that he may be an NHLer for good soon, but I doubt it will be with the CAPS. He was signed for depth. We need him and he is up. But long term we have half a dozen centers.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 4, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

trying to get some good seats for Jan 1st game without paying an arm and leg- anyone?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 4, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

OK, folks; it's time for me to go, but if my hockey buddy will let me use her crackberry to look at Gmail, I have the tickets in my wallet. Nobody pings me by the time I get to the Phone Booth, they're going to someone downtown. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 4, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It was weird at first, I'll admit. but that Dahlen/Halpern/Konowalchuk line was just great to watch.

Whenever Dahlen went behind the net, I used to joke with my dad that he was clocking in at the "Ulfice."

Anyway, it's probbly silly to feel so sentimental when this team is so much better, you know?

(And you're right about Bradley.)

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

That's actually pretty clever, FFS.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey windjammer: There is no team in the NHL that is so deep talent wise as the Caps Org. If any more stars go down look for a new one to emerge. Oscar Osala and Aucoin are studs. As for goal tending I was there when Theodore shut out the Canadiens. He was brilliant. We will be ok - why so negative. The rest of the division isn't going anywhere and the caps are far too deep.

Posted by: psugolf | December 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@psugolf - "I don't subscribe to the theory that Nyls needs to shoot more. He is not a shooter."

Maybe I would agree under 'normal' circumstances, but BB is right - he (and the others) need to step up now. Not only that, but Nyls should be working harder to set guys up - we need those assists too!

I'll be watching - Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: vkova10 | December 4, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse