Morning Skate Update

The first 24 hours of Simeon Varlamov's NHL career have been a whirlwind.

Last night, he arrived on the Caps' bench midway through the first period of their 5-1 win over Ottawa. And tonight, on Hockey Night in Canada, at Bell Centre in Montreal, before the biggest and most intimidating crowd in the league, the 20-year-old Russian will get his first NHL start.

"My thought was, 'Let's see what he's got'," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "The last time I saw him [in Hershey] he was great. If it's baptism under fire, well then it's baptism under fire. We'll see how he reacts to it."

Varlamov, the player management hopes will eventually become the No. 1 in Washington for years to come, will be backed up by Brent Johnson, who complained of pain in his hip after earning his fourth consecutive win last night.

Asked about Varlamov's reaction to the news, Boudreau said he nodded and responded, "Good".

"Not a lot of emotion in these Russian guys," Boudreau added. "They are not all like Alex Ovechkin."

Since Caps' goalies don't talk on the morning of a start, and Varlamov is still learning English, I'll have to bring you his thoughts (through an interpreter) after the game.

Last night in the dressing room at Verizon Center, his eyes got real big when it was suggested to him that he might play against the Canadiens. Varlamov then flashed a confident smile said that would be "awesome."

Varlamov got the news of his first big league call-up from Ovechkin, who called to tell him that Jose Theodore was hurt after the morning skate yesterday. A little while later, a team official phoned to confirm what he already suspected: he was on his way to Washington.

"Him being from Russia, it's Hockey Night in Canada, it's going to be on in Russia," Boudreau said. "I just hope he gets some rest this afternoon."

Varlamov is 10-3-0 in Hershey with a .909 save percentage and a 2.34 goals against average. Tonight he'll oppose Jaroslav Halak, who will backstop a depleted Montreal team that has lost two of its last three (1-1-1). The Canadiens are expected to be without Mike Komisarek (shoulder), Saku Koivu (foot), Mathieu Dandenault (arm), Christopher Higgins (shoulder), Georges Laraque (groin), and Carey Price (leg).

With Koivu out, Alex Kovalev will get the 'C' for Montreal.

The Caps, meantime, are expected to go with the same lineup as last night.

A couple of other notes:

*Unfortunately for Brett Leonhardt, it's back to his cubicle. His magical ride has come to an end with the Caps. His contract has expired and it's unlikely that he'll be resigned, according to my sources. (By the way, I'm sitting in Bell Centre where the TV is tuned to RDS and Leonhardt was just on the highlights. He's an international star.)

*The Caps recalled defenseman Sean Collins - just in case. Apparently, Mike Green was a little sore after last night's game. Green, though, is expected to play tonight.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 13, 2008; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov To Start
Next: Fedorov, Sloan, Backstrom To Trainer's Room

Comments

Sounds like Montreal caught our injury bug. Good luck Varlmov!! Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: cbs75 | December 13, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

Before heading back, did Stretch have to clear waivers?

Posted by: puff1 | December 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Nice low-key NHL debut to get the kid comfortable. This should be interesting.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

From what I read on here, doesn't sound like Varlamov is all that nervous. That puts me at ease.

Time is going to go by so slow, right now.

Posted by: elicea | December 13, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Is Collins getting frequent flyer miles? Was he half-way to Texas and had to turn around?

Leonhardt clearing waivers is hilarious. Were they hockey waivers or internet production waivers? I heard that Harris Teeter was looking for some new Web blood. Glad he made it through.

Posted by: saintex | December 13, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm worried we might lose Stretch to the Rangers on re-entry waivers - after the knock-down, drag-out fight between MSG and the league last season, you know they're looking for a new web guy.

Posted by: KurtNYC | December 13, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

*Varlamov ISN'T all that nervous.

Posted by: elicea | December 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Seriously nothing is better than following the CAPS RIGHT NOW....

There is so much excitement everyday with the returning of players, amazing play of call ups, and web producers suiting up.

This Kid Simeon has to be nervous. I hope the caps play better than they have in past back-to-back games.

Tarik - Where are you in line if the caps need a call-up for winger????

Posted by: DCSPORTS | December 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with you, DCSPORTS, when you said that nothing is better than following the Caps right now. They are so exciting and good that I even forgot the Skins were playing tomorrow.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Fanohock-
LOL LOL LOL- how bad was that segment? You didn't mention the "not going down like that" Titanic guy. Holy crap, what a tool box huh? We were all trying to figure out how to text "don't pick any of them." We were gonna go to the burritos, booze and broads event, but got caught up in stretch mania and had to head to VC for the pregame skate.

This team, now that the cog's are back in place, is scary good. The way that Semin and OV just fling the puck and, poof, its on the tape or at the goal is amazing to watch. They have a great knowledge of where guys are going to be before they get there.

I thought it was great seeing how Federov "loves the organization." what a cool thing to say. I truely believe that, to a man, the boys in that dressing room will come out blazing, knowing that they have Varley in net and want to help him get that first win.

Question though..if the goalie situation becomes stable with these two, and JT is out a while, will that speed up him getting the heck out of dodge?

I wish I had a time machine too. 7:00 cant get here fast enough! I am going to have to skip an x-mass party for tonight. Christmas comes every year. This is special!

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

This is AWESOME! I hope Varlamov can do this. He's GOOD in Hershey... he's been hot all season. Wow, this is a great chance for him, and I'm really hoping.

Also, hoping Johnny gets some rest and is ready next week, especially if Theodore's going to be down for a while...

Posted by: irockthered | December 13, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Re: Leonhardt - what a guy! I am so getting a #80 jersey. Our team is the best organization in the entire NHL, and Leonhardt's story just proves it.

BEST of luck to Varlamov and the guys!!!

Posted by: irockthered | December 13, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

FYI- if anyone wants the #80 jersey; if you go to Kettler, they have kits that they can make any jersey you want. Not cheap, but I've had them make a couple for me. Takes the guys a couple hours to sew everything on but they do awesome work. You have to buy the blank jersey and the kit but the sewing is free. Such a bargain!

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that GMGM is letting Leonhardt's contract expire. That guy is a beast! Oh well, just another sign that GMGM doesn't know what he's doing!

(tongue-in-cheek of course)

btw, I produce a web site, can I suit up for a game?! hehehe. GO CAPS!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 13, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Really excited for Varly! I may have to skip a Christmas party tonight to watch it. Who am I kidding? I *will* be skipping the Christmas party! Or at least firing up the ol' VHS recorder at the folks place to tape it for later viewing.

Story on Double O:

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 13, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

We should have signed Lee Torrence

Posted by: The_Spear | December 13, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...ok, we need to add one more Russian to make our rock the RED line complete. We have Ovie-Kozlov-Semin, drop Fedorov back on D, one more D and Varlamov in goal...pretty sick.

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 13, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I just voted Leonhardt for Eastern Conference All-Star.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 13, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

OK, so let's have a very brief summary of how many times I was right and some people that know who they are were wrong just over the last few days.

1. Boudreau's post game assessment of Osala's first game in the NHL was pretty much word for word with my observations. Osala himself also confirmed that he was nervous and played not to make a mistake.

2. We're a dominant team with Brent in net and Mike Green back in the line-up. What a difference great goaltending and an awesome puck rushing D make. Ottawa got hosed.

3. Apparently Mr. Cstanton1, Boudreau also agrees with me in my assessment that Varlamov is indeed ready to contribute at this level this season. He wouldn't be giving him his debut in Montreal of all places, would he? Perhaps you should listen to me a little more and keep your trap shut. You might learn something.

Anyhoo... One thing I'll say that I'm super excited to see Varlamov in Montreal tonight. Good luck to the kid. However, if he doesn't do too well don't jump all over him and judge him based on just one game. Remember that the kid's just 20 and it's his debut.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Raanndino

IF valarmov loses tonight then what?

Posted by: DCSPORTS | December 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

My sources tell me Tampa Bay is is showing a lot of interest in Leonhardt.

Posted by: OviToSemin | December 13, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 1:45 PM
-------------------------------------------
I'm surprised you didn't travel with the team, since your opinion is obviously so valued by them.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

good for Varly, i'm excited to see what he's got.

Leonhardt now has his own player profile on capitals.nhl.com, i thought that was pretty cool.

check out my write up on Leonhardt!

Posted by: TJCAPS8 | December 13, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

HA!! You guys are killing me!! :-D

puff/saintex/kurt:
I don't think the time limit for waivers has expired yet; OviToSemin may be right - Brett may be on his way to Tampa to start (another) goalie controversy!

SA:
That's too funny! Maybe we can get the Pitt fans to join in on the voting and we can all get him in the starting lineup!! ;-)

Boy, I was not going to watch tonight, but I might need to find a way to now. This could be VERY exciting. If they keep playing like they have been, if most of the big boys are still on the ice, if the Habs are not on their game (and/or don't take this game seriously) and if Varlamov plays even just an OK game, our boys could win AGAIN. Yup, I may need to figure out how to squeeze this one in. Hmm ...

lamplighter1:
I got an email from schmaltzy Dave and sent him your regards. ;-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 13, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

ranndino: Don't get too stuck on yourself for being right. Even a dead watch is right twice a day, and being right will not earn you respect or appreciation if you're a jerk about it. Calm down and just enjoy the ride without having to shove your smarts up everyone's nose, and you'll find that more people listen to what you have to say. :)

I'm unfortunately stuck in a function that I can't get out of tonight and will probably miss the game. That saddens me, a lot; I'll just have to follow via box scores, unless it'll be on the web tonight somewhere?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 13, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow PHI is humiliating the Pens. 5-1 2 minutes left in the 2nd.

pawz, I'm pretty sure there will be a link. I'll post it before the game.

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

dang big george laraque is out tonight....i wanted the donald to drop him again

Posted by: _stevo | December 13, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@HeyBooBoo: I know this got lost in the threads from several days ago, but I wanted to thank you for your comments. :) I'm incredibly flattered, and not offended in the least once I understand what you meant. :) It's all good.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 13, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm sure Varly is nervous, but it's not like he hasn't been in pressure situations before. He played in the Russian version of the Stanley Cup finals last year. And very well, I might add.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@mauree: That would be amazing if you would :) It'll be my lifeline during a D&D game that I really hope breaks up soon.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 13, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Kitty:
Good to know. Thanks much and good luck catching the game!
-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 13, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Boo. And....what do you mean? You can't skip tonight! This team is so fun to watch now. Not just from the hockey standpoint but from the human interest stanpoint too. There must be 1,000 great stories already this year, and it's only 1/3 of the way through.

I noticed from catching some posts after the game that you didn't get to see the action. Hope things worked out in the end.

Last night was a clear example of just how good this team can be. And will be for a long time in the future. I don't want to jinx anything, but 1980's Edmonton Oilers come to mind. They looked sooooo good. The VC seemed a little tame though. Kinda like, "ho-hum just another win" vibe. I don't know

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

DCSPORTS - So what if he loses? He'll be 0-1 in his NHL career. Even Martin Brodeur loses.

Cstanton1 - Exactly. It would be too much to ask for you to admit that all of your posts get proven to be incorrect time and time again.

Kittypawz - Sorry. I just got annoyed by a few idiots spouting ridiculous crap on here all the time and telling those who know what they're talking about that they're stupid. I'll stop now. People like Cstanton1 have pretty much discredited themselves by now so much that I'll try my best to ignore their inane commentary from now on. Just the insinuations that Green and Semin were faking injuries and an opinion that we're worse off with Green in the line-up is enough to put them into the complete idiots column. Pretty hard to recover from those. They can only hope that everyone has a short memory.

So since I've been right all the time I'm a live, ticking watch? Made in Switzerland :)

-----

Just over 4 hours till the puck drops! I'm gonna be probably more nervous than Varlamov because I really, really want him to do well. I've been a fan of his since I first saw him play when he was 17. You can tell he's a smart kid just by the fact that he changed the spelling of his first name in English :)

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 2:45 PM
-------------------------------------------
It was Ottawa, so let's not slap a dynasty label on the boys just yet, OK?

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 2:49 PM
-------------------------------------------
de⋅lu⋅sion   /dɪˈluʒən/ –noun

1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha did someone just call the Caps the 1980's Edmonton oilers? That was funny.

Come on, man.

You wanna buy someone a great, cheap gift for the holidays? Buy them Tropic Thunder, the directors cut, i'm still laughing, I still hear the voice.

Posted by: oo7 | December 13, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

And, with the Wiz-bangs in the toilet, (and probably the Redskins too), I hereby take back most the nasty things I said about the Caps placement in the dead tree edition over the years. The Caps are winning and they are getting good placement (except Mondays...) in the Sports section. Take that Agent Zero.

And for those of you don't recall, I think I suggested last year that the Caps could win the Stanley Cup and the front Sports story would be the new signing on the Redskins practice squad.... I take it all back. Well most of it...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 13, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oo7 | December 13, 2008 3:01 PM
-------------------------------------------
Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading comes close (watching that now).

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

just to be clear.. i wasn't trying to say that the caps are a dynasty. I was refering to the depth from top to bottom that they have in the organization. The have the makings to be a good team for a while with the way the team is so young right now. If things go their way, they should be a perenial playoff team for years to come.

Don't want anyone to think I've gone thaaat far over the deep end.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Pens are frustrated. Still down 4 goals. Cooke with a stupid boarding penalty, almost dropped the gloves, and was defended by... Crosby lol, who tackled Timonen.

I'll have more ramblings after the game is over :D

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

lamplighter1:
WOW!! No push back on Schmaltzy?!? Must have caught you on an off day!! ;-) I did get to watch most of last night's game (thanks again, mauree!), but lost the feed towards the end and had to settle for listening. RE: tonight, I am on vacation and have missed most of the recent action (tonight was not going to be an exception). Don't get me wrong - I always think the Caps are fun to watch (I even became a STH when they had a losing record). I just enjoy hockey, period. But being on vacation (and not being the only person on this vacation), the timing just may not work out. We'll see ...

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 13, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 3:09 PM
-------------------------------------------
I'd like to think you're right, but the Oilers:

- had the market on international talent
- didn't have to deal with league parity/free agency
- didn't have to deal with a salary cap (which I guess is kind of like the 2nd reason)

Don't get me wrong, I hope to see a lineup that puts out 5 future Hall of Famers like Edmonton did too, but it's one thing to be organizationally strong and another to see it actually come to fruition.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Is there a video of Leonhard's warmup somewhere? There's gotta be, right? Watched all the post game interviews and both Brent and Greenie said that he was great in the warmup.

BTW, our new rock star should get back to his actual day job and fix the score of the Bruins game in the Caps video section. It still says that it was a 3-2 OT win for the Bruins.

If anyone has a link to the video of the warmup post it here please.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where I can watch the game online? Of course the Wizards (4-16) game is on Comcast and the Caps game is on CSN+
Top notched decision guys...

Posted by: tURBO8 | December 13, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Section117 -

Thanks for the definition. The ironic thing though is that it applies to you, Chief and a couple of others on here perfectly. Anyone can go back through the threads and see who's been right and who's been talking out of their ass.

Anyway, I'm done commenting on this and will just get back to what I was doing before the few idiots on here started pissing me off and let people decide for themselves who's making sense. I'm pretty sure that just like me everyone has already made an opinion on whose posts are worth reading and whose posts are full of inane babbling.

Most people on here are pretty knowledgeable, a few very knowledgeable and then there are people like Cstanton1 and Chief. There's gotta be a few of those in every crowd.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Not CSN+ again..............

I have a Xmas party to go to tonight. Good thing is, the folks that are throwing it are Caps fans, so i will probably get to be semi anti-social and watch the game!

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | December 13, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Checked Youtube. Nothing. C'mon, one of your tech savvy Cap fans must've surely captured our web guy's 15 minutes of fame on a cell phone camera.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Section117 -

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 3:35 PM
-------------------------------------------
Funny thing, because when I was going back through the threads, and I never saw you answer this question 2 days ago:

"So tell me again how many 20 year old European goaltenders have come over and have been instantly productive NHL keepers?"

Posted by: Section117 | December 11, 2008 11:48 AM

Care to enlighten us Mr. Tretiak?

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

BTW, last night's Ottawa goal came from 109. With about five minutes left, some IDiot in my neighborhood called, out loud, for a you-know-what-out. Fiancee and I both whirled and barked "Who said that?", but the cretin wouldn't even 'fess up.
May his guilt and shame follow him always.
Caps 4-2 tonight, 22 stops for Varlamov and a +3 for Kozlov. See Jurcina finally flatten someone in the crease! Truly a night to remember.

Posted by: redlineblue | December 13, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@ tURBO8

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Ramblings from PENS @ PHI game:

Impressed with PHI their last 2 games. They're a legit contender this year, not only they fight for every puck but they're well organized. I still have to see them against a better team though... we'll meet them for the first time next Saturday by the way.

PENS... what a disaster of a game. Maybe their head was too big after the 9-2 but shees. They don't seems as strong as last year. They let too many guys go: Malone, Conklin, Hossa, Ruutu.

If I was a Pens fan I'd want Terrien to leave (and I think they do want him out).

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Thanks. Know of anywhere else? I tried to watch last nights game justin.tv but the quality was pretty bad.

Either way I hope they destroy the Habs. Let's go CAPS!

Posted by: tURBO8 | December 13, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@tURBO8

atdhe is usually much better than justinv, but with more connection issues.

If you think you'll watch many online stream I suggest you download sopcast and VLC (just google them). sopcast usually comes with pretty good feeds. I usually give both web and sopcast links before the game (1/2h or so before).

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I was wrong the other day and I'm still mad about it. I have no idea why the B's didn't put Lucic out with Ovechkin. The only way to stop the guy is to play him extremely physical, and lucic was the only one that could do it. That just seems like a no brainer. I guess its inevitable that we see that matchup. Then again, i thought it was going to happen the other night. Bad coaching decision, say I from my armchair.

Posted by: oo7 | December 13, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@ Section117

I didn't answer it because I never saw it. It's very tough to keep up with replies on this blog, unlike in a forum. I have to manually go back to old threads and see if anyone said something. I'm sure I've missed tons of replies because I just don't have the time to do this.

Secondly, even if it were true that no 20-year old European goalies have stepped right in and done well what does that have to do with Varlamov? Nothing. For example, until a few years ago you could've asked the exact same question about 18-year old Russian forwards. Then came Ovechkin and Malkin and did what no one has done before.

Last thing. It's very rare for 20-year old goalies to step into the #1 goalie role in the NHL regardless where they come from. Carey Price, for example, is a rare exception even among Canadian born goalies.

OK... very last thing. European goalies in the NHL is a relatively new phenomenon so there isn't even much data to go on in answering your question. Until very recently there were very few Euro goalies in the NHL. They have only become prevalent in the last decade, which spans only 1 career cycle, so logically it would follow that it's very possible that not many 20-year old Euro goalie have even been given a chance to play in the NHL.

Finally, like I said, it's apparent that Bruce's evaluation of Varlamov's ability is a lot closer to mine than to yours, so I'll take that as proof that I know what I'm talking about.

BTW, you also never answered the question. How many times have you seen Varlamov play? If the answer is none or once then what do you base your so called analysis of his ability on?

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I just hope the Capitals don't live to regret not resigning Brett Leonhardt when they had the chance. It's not often in today's NHL that you can sign goalie who can come in and give you quality minutes in warmup and then take one for the team by stepping aside without complaint when management brings in someone else to be the backup goalie. You don't see that happen every season, that's for sure :)

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | December 13, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@ tURBO8

I didn't say anything about justintv. I gave you a different site. Supposedly (according to some of my friends) the quality on there is very good, but I can't say for sure because I haven't tried using it myself since I subscribe to NHL Center Ice and don't have the need for it. I might try it out if I'm on the road and wanna watch a game live from a hotel room.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

If worst comes to worst we can always give Brett Leonhardt Garth Snow's goalie equipment and we're golden because there would be absolutely nothing to shoot at.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino: I actually watched the warmups - got down there in the nick of time - and he was good. When I saw the jersey I was laughing too hard to speak for a good two minutes, then I started watching him and going "omg, he's actually good!"

I also agree that there are always a few idiots in every crowd. I can usually pick them out quickly and just ignore them. Hey, sometimes I say something stupid too - I've done so a few times on this blog and been corrected, not always politely or with class either.

---

I know it wasn't possible, but it'd've been nice to see Boudreau actually put Leonhardt out there for say the final couple of minutes. The game was decided by that point, and it would have just been an amazing cap to an amazing night.

But I think we need to talk about MTL a little now. I'm not sure I like our odds for tonight given it's the Habs on their home ground and our road track record and our back to back record both stink. Varly in goal doesn't help, but the fact that they caught the injury bug from us while they were in Washington does.

By the numbers, though -- I'd guess that coming out fast and hard in an offensive onslaught will only help us. IF we just play our puck control game and D remains steady and solid, we might have a chance.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 13, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

ranndino:
Hey, hey, hey ... 117 is not ignorant. Can't you disagree without resulting to name calling and insults? Play nice, already ... after all, we're all cheering for the same team!! :-)

117:
That goes for YOU too! :-)

-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 13, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, tons of key habs are injured. I have a good feeling about tonight, with Barly and after blanking them at home earlier. to bad I am working until 11.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 13, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Barly=Varly.

haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 13, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Rats, Post Nazis censored me and I didn't swear. Anyway, re-doing the fisk, back in a minute.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Here goes:

“The way you pose a question shows just how illogical your thought process is. JSchon already pointed it out a few times. You say something that in your mind proves that you're correct, yet in reality has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. Like the # of hits a D makes has zero bearing on how good a D the guy is.”

Um, that hasn’t been me bud. As one who’s gotten grief for discussing Schultz, I can pretty much tell you that.

“This particular question is a trap that you're trying to setup to justify your ignorant opinion. First of all I'd have to do a ton of research to answer this question, which you, of course know I don't have time to do, so whatever I say you can reply that I'm dodging the question.”

Actually, I don’t know how much time you have. I DO know every time you seem to leave and come back, you talk like you’re the second coming of Jack Button, which we all know isn’t true.

“Secondly, even if it were true that no 20-year old European goalies have stepped right in and done well what does that have to do with Varlamov? Nothing.“

Actually yeah, it kind of does. When Osala, a guy who played in Finland (no slouch themselves in hockey) talks about the jump from the A to here, much less about from the Fin League to the A, one can assume that for goalies, it might be a little harder hill to climb. Nabakov won the Calder, but he was 25.

“For example, until a few years ago you could've asked the exact same question about 18-year old Russian forwards. Then came Ovechkin and Malkin and did what no one has done before.”

Again, it’s adjusting to a smaller rink and better skilled position players. OV and Malkin are 6-3 200+ pound freaks of nature, and if playing here is THAT easy, why isn’t the demand for talent higher? Why aren’t more Russians coming over? Or could it be that OV and Malkin might be exceptions to the rule?

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

And part two (the final part):

Hi, it’s logic, nice to see you. Wish you didn’t have to throw in some statement about not having time to do research before meeting me.

Hey, it’s logic again, where’d you run to?

At what point have I doubted his ability? I hope he comes in, stonewalls everyone from the jump and doesn’t sit down (or get hurt) for the next dozen years. I’ll quote my comment from 2 days ago:

“Statistically there are still two productive goalies on this club (albeit in varying degrees) whether you want to admit it or not. Remotely considering that Varlamov is going to come in on his first year in North America and pull a Carey Price (or even a Ken Dryden) just isn't going to happen.”

And moreover, here’s your response THEN:

“So your statement that he can't contribute this season is pulled completely out of your ass.”

Which is hilarious, considering you come on here today and are tempering expectations.

I’d hope a calm, rational, measured response from you would be in order, but I presume we’ll either see you:

a) After the game (if it’s a win), saying how you should be running the team or some other crazed notion.

b) In a couple of days, co-opting other people’s words without blinking an eye.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

So many big words to follow...

The best part of tonight is that no matter the outcome, this is but a glimpse of what Varlamov will do. If he loses, he's only 20 and has his career in front of him. If he wins, we will all be calling for Joe Say to be traded. Either way, I'm excited.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 13, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Well said.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru: Amen brother.

Posted by: TrappedinGA | December 13, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru rocks.

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 13, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I can see OV taking matters in his hands. He loves playing in the hockey mega,he has some of his teamates back, and his young fellow countyman is making his NHL debut...I am sniffing a magical game from OV.

Let go CAPS!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 13, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget that Johnny and Theo are both hurt, to some degree. Varlamov might need to stay awhile to cover for both/either as back-up. As long as Clark and Schultz are out, there's cap space.

kittypawz: BB could not have put Leonhardt in for the "last few minutes" I believe. His stint ended when Varlamov came on the bench. Besides, it would have been quite a slap in the face to the other team. I agree with your sentiment though that he get in. OTOH, just being on the bench those ten minutes and getting to keep his game sweeter will give him a lifetime of memories. I'll bet he got the jersey plenty autographed. Also, never saw who got the hardhat for last night. #80?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 13, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

tominfl: Morrisson got it per the recap on nhl.com.

Also, I know it's not possible, and that was why, but it would have been nice. :) Just fun. As for a slap in the face to the other team, not so much as honoring his courage. Coaches have done stuff like that before - remember the Robert Mueller story?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 13, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go CAPS!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Win or lose, it'll be an exciting game. I HAVE seen Varly play, a lot, and he has shown tremendous improvement in the past two months. At times he makes you cringe, and then he turns around and make one wonderful save after another. It's never a dull moment. Hopefully he won't be too nervous, and having Fedorov and the Alexes and some Hershey teammates around will help him feel at ease. Can't wait!

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

sweet...if there is one think i like about living in seattle...its living closee enough to the great white north to and hockey night in canada...

going to a hockey buddies xmas party tonight and this will definitely be on the big screen...schwiiiiing!!!!!

Posted by: deadskin | December 13, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, Bears at Houston tonight starting at 8:30. I'll provide updates if I can.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

From Kelly Hrudy on HNIC:

Nicklas Backstrom is a great young talent, overshadowed by Ovechkin and Semin, but with a unique ability to calmly pass the puck.

Mike Green is perhaps the best in the game right now, maybe better than Niedermayer, in carrying the puck.

Green was interviewed and said the team plans to give a solid effort on D for Varlamov and he hopes the "offense comes natural" to score.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 13, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz: Agreed.

rachel216: Earlier you said it was enough tonight to make you forget the Redskins have a game tomorrow. In my case, almost, but not quite, enough to make me forget the Ravens have a meaningful game tomorrow vs the Steelers! Boo, hiss, I'm a Ravens fan!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 13, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

But, tominfl1, at least the Ravens are actually good. Redskins....um... not so much...

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that ten years from now, last night'll come up on "What Year Was It?"

Posted by: kittypawz | December 13, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

wow I close the laptop for the afternoon and the big news is that the Caps board is a McCoys and Hatfields battleground with Boo! playing referee -- who would have thunk?

I've seen Varm a couple times this year. I kid is cat fast, great glove hand, and unflabbable. I hope he can play as well in the bigs as the minors. Oh, his totally white mask is a crack-up -- looks like his practice hat

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

OMG -- Hockey night just got shot down on the NHL network. CSN+ yuck.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Jim- I know, right! I thought the same thing!! Go Boo. Hope you brought a whistle. They both get matching majors.

Tom- saw the same pregame. Thought that it was a nice mention. And spot on.

Someone please tell me I'm not a total jerk with this decision: I am blowing off a christmas party to go to a friends house and watch the game on the big flat screen. I mean, come on..what would you do?

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

OK, mauree ... hook me up! :-)

BTW, Leeguru has spoken ... --Boo-- it is!

-Boo!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Links for tonight's game:

web: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gomego
web (justin): http://www.justin.tv/hateme
sopcast: sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/33952

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

oh hey! new nick! me like :)

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Boo- he's right! you cant break with tradition. Boo it is.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Jim/lamplighter1:
You know as well as I do, refs get no respect.

OK, if I am gonna watch this game while on vacation, someone is gonna have to give me a streaming feed ... help!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

So where is the game being broadcast? I too lost my feed. :(

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 13, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

uh, ok, why am i getting russian on this feed?

lamplighter:
I know, I tried Boo and Boo! and blah, blah, blah, but none worked, so we resorted to dashes. Good enough?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 6:57 PM
-------------------------------------------
Says the man who seemed to infer that a player on his team should have a more severe injury.

You're almost on the list, pal.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

HAPPY BIRTHDAY today:

Sergei Fedorov (1969)
Andrew Gordon (1985)
Daren Machesney (1986)

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

justin and sopcast should be in english Boo

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
glad you like it ... thanks for your help with the other. who knows, maybe i will bust it out one of these days!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

117:
You're just itchin' for a fight, aren't ya? Knucklehead ... :-P

mauree:
Thanks - I will check it out. This is confusing me - French commentary and Russian posts. Maybe we should all start posting and confuse the Russians?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Boo- works for me!

Bernie- Depending on where you are, it's on CSN+ on cable, dish has both NHL network coverage and if you have the dish and the sports package, you can get the Canadian feed.

I'm leaving now. Hope to catch up with everyone after the game.

C-A-P-S caps caps caps

leeettss
go
Vaaarrrllyy

clap, clap, clap clap clap!!

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 13, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

gostream is a go, but in French

@117 -- I joked about JT going on LTIR because he has played, well, spotty. Know lets not feud

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Game is up on CSN+. Looks like standard CSN+ fare -- pretty ugly. Hopefully the score makes the picture look better in a few minutes. :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice save Varm

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Brash with sweet moves!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Lamp,

Great, thanks. I have the CSN broadcast but I was eluding to an HD feed....lol... I am sooo spoiled...

Anyway,

Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 13, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

wow high intensity from the start

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Jim:
I switched to Justin - it's in English.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Justin is a much better feed, too

Great PK!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I was looking at the box score at NHL.com and not one minute passed that I saw McCreary's name on the Ref list I said to myself, we're SOL tonight, then he calls a penalty. GRRR!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | December 13, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Is it HNIC or CSN? I'm watching on CSN+ on my TV due to the NHL Network blackout. (I hope they turn it back on after the game)

For what it's worth, that Boudreau car commercial cracks me up every time I see it. :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

All right!

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

BACKSTROM!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom!!!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

By the way I think Brash will/should do something about that. Can't take punches at OVI like that.

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Backsie!!!
Nice to see him getting dirty in the slot.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 13, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

LITTLE NICKY :D

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Caps are controlling the tempo much better tonight than the last two

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if they're extra motivated by Varly on net but I like what I'm seeing on our D.

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Locker! Please stop calling him "Varmalov"!!!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | December 13, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... watching that feed is hard - the scrolling chat next to it is distracting! :-) So many Habs fans on there I find myself wanting to hop on to defend our boys!

Anyway, good energy, good play. Varlamov not tested yet. Should be an interesting night.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Would Joe B please tell Laughlin how to pronounce VAR-LA-MOV. He has said it wrong at least three times now.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boo -- go for full screen. I choose the internet feed over cruddy csn+

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice period :D me happy. Still waiting for Brash to drop them (I think he's on a mission), they're taking too many liberties with our forwards.

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

another great pk -- caps had better chances than the habs

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Started watching the game on that crummy CSN+, then checked the NHL Network -- hallelujuh! the Caps on HNIC in HD (on Dish Network)! What a difference. So I don't get Joe B. and Locker, but what a great picture, especially on the goal.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 13, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Joe! It's a girl's club game!! :-D

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Locker does not make mistakes -- everyone else must be saying Var-ma-lov wrong!

Posted by: uncatim | December 13, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

lamplighter: I've blown off all kinds of things for hockey and other games. I blew off a Christmas party last year, a Halloween party this year, even scolded my buddy years ago for getting married when the Orioles were in the playoffs that day.

Tomorrow is my oldest daughter's 28th birthday party and I made them schedule it 1-4 so I can watch the Ravens at 4:15. Like I said, it's a 28th birthday, sheesh, it's not like she's a little kid or turning 50 or something.

Caps have been pretty solid tonight, a few errant passes marring an otherwise perfect effort. Varlamov not really tested but seems to have the moves down pat. I like the way he always has his glove open, ready to catch the puck.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 13, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry on HNIC is such a rambling trainwreck.

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | December 13, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Watching Don Cherry on CBC -- what a goof. Same guy who said OV would crash to earth this year, HA! Red Velvet jacket with a rose; he gives Liberace a run for his money

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Ha, I didn't know that Craig wore glasses. They must have cut the camera to him and Joe too early, because Craig was pulling them off his face.

It's okay Craig, I wear glasses and I'm still cool... right guys? :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

joined the justin chat - gotta defend our boys!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

who else is on justin? join the chat! :-) man, is this moderator a chat nazi or what? i don't know how he can watch the game ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

This call is BS, OVI was being tackled!

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

what a bs call

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov is SO tiny!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

BS penalty call, and a great PK by the Caps.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Theo had better get healthy soon or he's gonna be in a battle to be number 2 goalie, not number 1

Posted by: doncosmic | December 13, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

great job in goal and around

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

rachel: He's shorter than Brent but taller than Jose. He just looks small because he hunches over so much in the net.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Hello Toledo! How many new Varlamov fans are there now?!? Someone on Justin said that 40 is the new 60 ... HA!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

nice job Green, NOT!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Dumb fans booing, his own player knocked Semin into Halak...gosh

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Boo! They kicked me out for 10 minutes lol... but seriously that was a penalty on Semin, that guy pushed him!

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
LOL!! why'd you get booted?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Robbery at both ends of the ice.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

tryin to get payback, sorry, but your own retarded player pushed Semin into your own goalie, so why are you tryin to hurt Varlamov??

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I screamed (all caps) that the he pushed Semin, that should have been a penalty for us.

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

what great goaltending on both ends !! ... 2 great saves ... wow !!

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Varly playing awesome me think :D not intimidated at all.

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Is this penalty on us??? OMG stupid refs they're trying to make us lose this game. We MUST get the next goal.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

ALL caps?!? God forbid!! ;-) Like I said - chat Nazi.

Varlamov has faced 15 SOG - he's doing well!

Now if we can just stay out of the box (whether it is our fault or not).

BTW, notice how big their boxes are?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Christ is Mike Green the worst defenseman in his own end in the entire godaam NHL. Turnover followed by bad pass followed by turnover then a penalty . He's so damn sloppy and he makes life miserable for his defensive partner. He should be a forward because he has no idea what to do with the puck in his own end. He killed our own PP with his stupid play. Go back to the bench MG! We want Collins back there~!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Why does Bill McCreary hate the Washington Capitals? Seriously, he's been around FOREVER and I don't think I've seen one game where he hasn't screwed us.

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

montreal is such a dirty team, disgusting

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Haha, Joe just gave Craig crap for saying Varlamov incorrectly.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

how did we get 2 in the box for that?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

the habs are dirty and the officating sucks

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I thought Varley looked on the bigger side actually.

In full agreement about Don Cherry. He is a sad relic that does not understand how global hockey has become. "He's from Moose Jaw ya know"

His niche was novel a few decades ago but now, he's just embarrasing. I saw him live a few years ago at his restaurant in Ottawa and even the locals agreed he needs to go. The guy is one step from having to wear Depends full time.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 13, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

aww man

LETS GO BOYS!

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

OK time to convert on the abbreviated powerplay.....

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

caps should have a 5 0n 3 twice over

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

"it's like a sharp stick in the eye..." in reference to Locker's mispronunciation of Varmalov's name. You've gotta love the commentary from Joe B.!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | December 13, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

bummer ... fast and hard right through Varly ... hard to adjust to the speed of an NHL shot off the wing like that ... he will adjust ... he's been doing great so far ... go Varly !!

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

despite that goal, varlamov still looks calm. 1 of 17 is not bad ... they can still do this.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

shoot, he's got me saying it wrong! ;)

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | December 13, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Is Varlamov a scrambler like this in the AHL? He seems good at making the initial save but then he seems to get way out of position and has to make a very quick recovery.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | December 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

stupid Green with another screwup at the blueline allows a clear 2 on 1

U SUCK!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2008 8:33 PM
-------------------------------------------
If you're going to get unhinged, at least work a little less blue.

Posted by: Section117 | December 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Laich and Giroux are on their game tonight. Can't say the same about Kozlov and Green. The Habs have momentum after Kozlov, Begin and Kotsopolous left their mark on our players during the Habs PP. Very aggressive on our players. Brashear needs to wake up and play his role. His team needs him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

yeah green sucks -- not an overreaction at all -- sheesh

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 7:51 PM

He won't. He needs to rough up someone like Kostopolous who has been running all our players and Kovalev with the vicious stick in the face of Laich. Brashear's too cosy on the caps, he has total job security and he knows it. You wouldn't even know he's in the game tonight

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Thanks for sharing the above game links.

The following works well: web: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gomego

Unfortunately, I was booted from the chat room and I have no idea why!

Posted by: Terptwin | December 13, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

not happy with the officiating -- stupid walrus ref

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spacecadetkid | December 13, 2008 8:43 PM
---------------------
Yes, he is like this in Hershey too. Never a dull moment.

Update:Bears down 1-0 early in the game in Houston.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

HNIC showed replays - it was not Ovechkin's stick on the double minor. Hard to not criticize the officiating tonight. Four mins incorrectly called on Ovechkin. Then they called 4 on Montreal and two on Sloan when Laich got crosschecked across the head and Sloan I think got punched in the head from behind. Had Montreal gotten another, well deserved, minor on that play, there's no goal. All in all Varlamov has played well. I know he says he'd like to have that one back, however you say, "I'd like to have that one back" in Russian. I'm sure he yelled "NYET!" when it went by.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 13, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Ease up on Green. His timing is still a little off. Most NHL experts have him winning the Norris trophy in a year or two.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 13, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

The HNIC announcers said it was clear that the Hab was hit by a teammate's stick, and it should not have been a four-minute penalty to Ovechkin.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 13, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I said it once, I'll say it again - Bill Mcreary is the WORST ref in the NHL. Talk about a relic.

Most other ref's would realize that things need to be evened out in the third. Mcreary doesn't call penalties in the third though. Murder will be committed during the third period...no penalties.

Mcreary needs to go.

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Talk about home cooking...this is the poorest refereeing I've seen all season. Inexcusable imbalance

Posted by: MTB7 | December 13, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
did you follow that? should i explain here?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Agree about the home cooking but McCreary calls 'em like this against us in Washington, too. Not sure what his problem is. Maybe he owned AOL shares.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 13, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Mike Milbury, who ran TWO franschises into ground (Boston and Islanders) is criticizing Barry Melrose on HNIC intermission. I hope Milbury doesnt live in glass house.

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | December 13, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

So far after two periods - Laich has the hard hat with Gordo close behind.

I think Brashear has played well in the offensive zone, despite above comments. Also, Bradley on the PK held the puck in the corner with three guys on him. Great work by Brads.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 13, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm a veteran Green basher. I posted a while back that my wife is under the impression that Green's first name is Effin'.

He gets props for his offensive skill, but his biggest problem when he has the puck in the defensive zone, in the corner or behind the net, is that he's too damn casual with the puck.

Instead of making a simple play, he waits until an opponent gets on top of him, then thinks he can slip away with the puck. Boudreau should recognize that and get on him about it.

Posted by: rw-c | December 13, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

That was some NASCAR quality towel placement on Fedorov as he walked out for intermission interview with CBC reporter. He got practically mugged by the production assistant.

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | December 13, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

I got my membership card. Can I get it upgraded to Gold or Platinum?

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 13, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, every time I go to a Caps game, I look at the game notes and am always bummed when I see McCreary...I have nightmares about that dude...he does hate us no doubt.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | December 13, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

First period. Total domination by the Caps. Varlamov almost fell asleep. Halak was under siege and if not for him we'd have scored 3 or 4.

Second period. The officials decided to inject themselves into the game. Normally I try to refrain on commenting about the officiating, but not sure what's going on. We played pretty much the whole period shorthanded. The 4-min penalty on Ovechkin especially sucked since it was Montreal's own stick that hit their guy in the face.

Varlamov looked good until the goal. Tough to say whether he was at fault. On one hand it was a shot off the wing, which he saw all the way. On the other, it was an absolute bullet right over the shoulder.

Posted by: ranndino | December 13, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I was just about to ask how Semin could be called for slashing while his stick is on the puck, but the call is actually against Montreal!!

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 13, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Just want to point out that the second ref had to make that slashing call...McCreary let it go..

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...and Semin gets stick in the mouth and no call...obviously

Posted by: ralCapsFan | December 13, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Ah dang boys. What happened to the discipline from last night! Sheesh...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 13, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Joe:
Oh boy ... I don't think you know what you are asking for ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Bears tied at 1-1 with 6 to go in the 1st. Bears goal by Kyle Wilson.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Was there a rule change for interference over the off season? I remember them calling interference last year any time a D-man stood up an attacking player after he had dumped the puck in to the corner. Did that rule change? Or are they just not calling it anymore?

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

would be nice for the caps to get 2 quick goals then we can payback those mtl thugs. brads and brash need to get the job done.

Posted by: 202-206 | December 13, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Fed's and Sloan are not on the bench...

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

HNIC broadcast is saying Sloan and Fedorov arent on bench. Any word on CSN broadcast about it ?

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | December 13, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

what's up with giroux and this move that never works?! (nhl 94 move according to jasper I think)

Posted by: 202-206 | December 13, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Giroux is not good on breakaways, and nylander SUCKS

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Green is not having his best game on D...got beat again there

Posted by: ralCapsFan | December 13, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

man !! ... why is it we seem to bring out the best in every opposition goalie ?? ... we should be up by 2 or 3 by now ... great action !!

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Holy bleep, did McCreary just call a penalty on Montreal?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

penalty on Backstrom was BS

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

awful

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 13, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Caps need to put pressure on Halak!!! COME ON CAPS!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Agreed dude...that was kinda weak.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | December 13, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

c'mon guys !! ... weather the storm ... settle down ... back to getting the puck deep and forechecking ... they are getting a little rattled ... i'm sweatin' here ... lol ... what a great game !!

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

so is varalmov playing with ALL new equipment? sure looks like it. that can't be easy ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Loosing feds and sloan has taken a huge toll on the D. Caps are feeling the 24 hour + 1000 mile travel turn around right now.

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov has definitely answered the bell ... let's hope we can seal the deal for him ... GO CAPS !!!

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

oh boy - are brooks and backs hurt?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 13, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom just went down...I don't want points anymore...i'd be happy just to leave Montreal with a hockey team.

Posted by: patrone | December 13, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Green...geez...he got burnt and then is breaking for the offensive zone...COME ON!

Posted by: ralCapsFan | December 13, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

And no, that was note a trip on Montreal on our D man..ofcourse note

Posted by: ralCapsFan | December 13, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Varlemov clearly has a sweet glove.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

whew !!! ... we have GOT to turn the pressure back around ... the Habs are coming on strong ... would be soooo nice to pull this out against them ... they give us such fits

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Caps are just letting Montreal do whatever they want! They will score if that pressure stays at that level and we won't even get 1 point.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

New post by Tarik...

Posted by: tess2201 | December 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Alright, enough of this incredibly ignorant green bashing. Listen to yourselves. With each post you make you simply drive the stake deeper through you credibility until what's left is someone who'd rather see Collins on the ice than the guy who led all caps defensemen in plus minus before getting hurt and who in his first game back registered a goal and two assists. Here, go do the rest of your posting on this imaginary type writer...worthless.

Posted by: MTB7 | December 13, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

hoo boy !!! ... looks like they are all out of gas ... not good

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Caps are giving this game to montreal!! are the caps not trying to score??

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

McPhee working the phones as we speak trying to trade Theodore.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 13, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

We will take it!!! Ugly but it counts boys!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 13, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Nylander payed for that goal

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | December 13, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABYYYYYYYYYYYY LETSSS GOOOOOOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

*breathes*

Posted by: mauree | December 13, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

pure will power to score on that one ... thank goodness !! ... c'mon Varly ... hang in there !!!

Posted by: obx13 | December 13, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

*** THERE IS A NEW POST BY TARIK *** :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 13, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

sweet -- road victory over a very good team

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 13, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

McPhee needs to find a way to send Jose Threeormore down to Hershey! ;)

Posted by: puckman | December 13, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse