Morning Skate Update: Sabres at Caps

The Caps just hit the ice for the morning skate, and for a change, they are wearing different colored jerseys. Here's how they are lined up:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Kozlov
Laich-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Nylander-Fehr
Steckel-Aucoin-Bradley

I'll have an update later on, but I can't promise exactly when, because I'm doing some video stuff to preview the playoffs.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 3, 2009; 9:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Caps Find Motivation in History
Next: Erskine Out Tonight

Comments

Ugh, 3rd line fail.

Posted by: Section117 | April 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

You going Hollywood on us, Tarik?

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Why do people have to comment on every single line combo Boudreau puts out? He's the fairly successful coach, and it's just practice. Sheesh.

Posted by: BigMogilny | April 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Because some people think it's fun to be an arm chair coach. Just like I like to be an arm chair GM. Some are more public about it than others. It's all good.

Tarik

If you're going to spend a lot of time on camera (and I really think you should), you need a new pic up top. This one doesn't do it for you.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Tarik:

a slight disagreement with you on your assessment of what helped turn the Caps around in the game against the Isles: i feel that Erskine's brawl is what woke the team up, not Schultz trying to avoid getting pummeled by Jackman. seriously, that "fight" did nothing for my morale.

Posted by: doughless | April 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigMogilny | April 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Because there's nothing to do BUT that for 9 hours. Lighten up, Francis.

Posted by: Section117 | April 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I am assuming that the 3 D-Men people are talking about as finalists for the Norris are Chara, Lidstrom and Green.

Everyone talks about Green's defensive liabilities, but his +/- is exactly the same as Chara (+24). Lidstrom is a +29.

For all the talk of how good Chara is defensively, Green is just as good +/- wise and as a tie breaker, he scores more.

For those who say the Caps are a more offensive minded team which allows for more O from the D. Well, Boston has scored the 2nd most goals in the league.

Have to give it to Green in my book as he is just as good defensively and even better offensively.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 3, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

doughless

It was Erskine's that woke them up followed by a strong check (and the charge) but it sent a message. Also a turning point was the turnover/penalty squence involving Green. I think, after Green turned it over, the Isles had a 2-1 that would have probably resulted in a goal if it had not been the for the Isles interference penalty on Green. It would have been 4-2 instead of soon to be 3-3.

Posted by: Shiba-fussa | April 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

10:1 says that the lines are different tonight. Boudreau is too canny a coach to reveal his lines to "the enemy" this early... I'd expect him to lull them into a false sense of security by practicing one way, then turning around and lining them up some completely different way that nobody expects. Boudreau is the Spanish Inquisition (of Monty Python fame), and NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Posted by: irockthered | April 3, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

IRTR

I'm smiling now. On this dreary day, I really needed that. I loved that skit.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That's probably as good as "Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

BOUDREAU = SHIFTY (no pun intended)

Posted by: bhound69 | April 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

IRTR,

Kudos and thanks for the Monty Python reference! "Put her in... the comfy chair!"

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: BigRed8 | April 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

coach B's lines seem to come from the same hat sometimes (to wit, Erskine playing 4th line wing?).

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan
I get your point abount Greenie, and I think he should be the Norris winner, but just because he and Chara have similar stas in plus/minus, does not make them equal defensively. If I had my pick for one of them to have on the ice the last minute of a game protecting a 1 goal lead, I would have to pick Chara, that being said, I would also rather have what MG brings the whole game.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Greg S: And comments here are about equivalent to "fan mail from a flounder".

New Post

Posted by: uncatim | April 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I like Backstrom in the second line, does anyone else? On the other hand, BB just might have two very strong lines this way. Wonder if he keeps these combinations tonight.

Posted by: caraveli | April 3, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Section117 -

How insightful of you...ugh... why don't you grace us all with your thorough knowledge of the...ugh...game.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss,

I don't think the voters use scenarios like the one you list as a factor in determining who gets the trophy. I could be wrong, but I think they look at something more tangible as stats before something based on an opinion.

I could be wrong though since I am not a voter and I would not even pretend to know how they think.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I doubt it. Maybe after we clinch tonight. Coach's always tinker with lines anyway. Now that we have blogs and up to the minute "practice coverage", if one more hair fell off Boudreaus head WE'd know about in 5 minutes. Should lose too much sleep over lines.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 3, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Section117 -

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

What do you want to know?

Posted by: Section117 | April 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I kind of like the idea of Backstrom in ANY line. He is such a good center, and will help bring up the play of any team mate. Just a thought, but the young ones like Ovie and Semin are skilled enough to make things happen on thir own, and the older ones like Feds and Koz have the experience edge. Backstrom could be the key to bring up the confidence of the few who are playing well but just can't find the net, or even some of the boys from Hershey when they come up. I do not mean as
permanent line combos, but more of a temporary jump-start.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Caraveli:

I don't like Backstrom on the 2nd line one bit. I have a feeling OV doesn't like that either. Backstrom is OV's wingman for sure.

Posted by: mikesgirl1 | April 3, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Section117-

...please...

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

permanent line combos, but more of a temporary jump-start.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The problem with moving Backstrom is that you double-shift him or move a poor player (92) up to the 1st or 2nd line, which hasn't worked this year.

My reaction is based on bringing Fehr down to the 3rd line, considering his play the last several games. Giving him 10 minutes a night next to 2 guys who haven't done anything too notable in months makes him useless, and puts 3 ghosts on that line, which counteracts the secondary scoring meme that the coach seems to be touching on lately.

Posted by: Section117 | April 3, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Section117-

Most of my comment on Backstrom was out of recognition of his abilities - that ANY wing would be better skating with him. In no way would I consider it a good move to take him away from the top two lines. Even my comments about him skating with Fleish or Fehr were meant more hypothetically. I was just considering what he might be able to add to their game...we need 3 of him. My comments about Ovie, Semin, Koz, and Feds were that they'd be fine skating with just about anyone...hypothetically...

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The media guys will vote for Chara largely because he is an established vet and has finished 2nd in voting in 03-04 and 3rd last year. and if they are going to dethrone Lidstrom they probably won't want to give it to a newcomer, Green finished 7th in voting last year but had 84 points to Lidstrom's 1313. Plus the definition is “to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position,” so even though MG has a lot more goals & points, Chara's numbers (17G, 30A) are good for a D man and the fact that he has a lot more hits and that Boston will win the East will give him the edge.

Also, everyone is assuming who the finalists are, but S.Weber could sneak in there as well. Personally, I think Green should get it, whily Chara is a good D-man and a physical presence a lot of his success is because of his size. First he gets away with a lot of holding and hooking penalties and second he is often a little late to the play or a little out of position but his 30' stick allows him to compensate for his mistakes. So awarding him the Norris is basically makes it the award for the "player on defense who is the biggest." That said Finley should have many trophies in his future.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 3, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that we'll see Aucoin between Flash and Fehr tonight if Nyls continues to struggle?

I like Backstrom on the 2nd line because Ovie is ALWAYS going to draw the top d-pairing/checking line. Now we have 2 elite players in Backis and Semin, PLUS a good presence in front of the net in Laich who will be going up against a 2nd or 3rd pairing defense.

Posted by: chombie13 | April 3, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Section117-

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 12:25 PM

Do me a favor, if you're going to get snarky with me about something I say about the real practice lines, at least talk about something that's not centered around life in fantasyland.

Moving on...

Posted by: Section117 | April 3, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Section117-

Snarky? About what you said about practice lines? Uh, real insightful..."Ugh,3rd line fail".

Posted by: gonchpup | April 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse