Shaone Morrisonn: 'I Didn't Do That'

Here's the latest from KCI:

Morrisonn In His Own Words
I mentioned earlier that Shaone Morrisonn denied the Rangers' claims that he bit Brandon Dubinsky on the arm. Here's what the defenseman had to say about the alleged incident:

"I have no idea," he said. "I have no idea what he's talking about, what that's all about actually. It's weird that they're talking about that."

Asked if the league had requested a hearing, he said: "I think [GM] George [McPhee] is handling it. It was news to me when we landed last night. I didn't really understand what he was saying. I don't know what to say. That's not what happened. I didn't do that or anything like that."

"I was kind of shocked that they would say that," he added. "But this is what they do. But whatever. I'm just getting ready for Game 7."

Dubinsky, though, reiterated after the Rangers' practice in New York this morning that he was in fact bitten by Morrisonn.

Caps Coach Bruce Boudreau supported his player, saying, "I get so ticked off when I hear that. Shaone doesn't know what the heck they are talking about. And I don't either. I looked at it from every angle and I don't either. To me it's a moot point and let's move on. I did come up and [asked him] and he steadfastly denied anything. He was angry was more of the emotion he had, like, 'What are you talking about?' type attitude. I said, 'I was just asking.'"

Brashear Decision Coming
Donald Brashear didn't want to speak to reporters ahead of his telephone hearing with league disciplinarian Colin Campbell. The hearing is set for 1 p.m.

Boudreau, however, chimed in.

"When they say they are not giving a lot of latitude to the warm-up, how much of an impression you have to make," he said. "I saw it now. [Brashear] gave [Colton Orr] a shove. He was standing on his own side of the [red] line. It was almost like Colton Orr was calling him to try and goad him to come over. I don't know. It's tough to call. Sometimes there's suspensions and there's not and sometimes I think there's none and there is. They have different views sometimes on it than I do."

"We've got a lot of players," Boudreau added. "Donald is a big part of our team. But so is Michael Nylander and Chris Clark and they haven't had a chance to play. Like anything else, like I've said for two years, if somebody's not playing, somebody has to come in a do just as good a job."

Boudreau to Clark: 'Be Ready'
"My last playoff game was a Game 7, too, in Calgary, so hopefully I can feed off of that," Clark said. "Hopefully I have a little more legs than the Rangers have and I can add a little more speed. I'm in shape and I've done everything I could because I've been skating the whole time, so there's no problem with that. It's just game shape, that first-game-of-the-year type thing."

Clark, who has taken the past two pregame warmups, said he was told by Boudreau to "be ready."

Rangers Recall
With Blair Betts sidelined because of an apparent head injury as a result of a hard hit by Donald Brashear, the Rangers have recalled 20-year-old Artem Anisimov, who had 37 goals and 44 assists for the AHL Wolf Pack last season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 27, 2009; 1:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark Could Play in Game 7
Next: Video Update: Plenty of Drama Off the Ice

Comments

Better give all the Caps rabies shots, because the Rags will be biting.

Posted by: FancyDan | April 27, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little nervous about game 7, but I am confident too. I, too, keep flashing back to last year's game 7, which I really thought, in advance, that they would win. But then I tell myself this: last year's round one was a dogfight between two good, evenly matched teams. This series is a dogfight between a pit bull and a chihuahua.

Posted by: christiansonm | April 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Dubinski is utterly full of crap. No one would get a 10 minute misconduct for showing a ref a bite mark. They've lost their minds, and hopefully after tomorrow night, the series.

Posted by: hackeynut | April 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know this Ansimov guy? Looks like he could potentially give the Rangers a little fire power although he'll probably be a nervous wreck playing in Game 7

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Nervous also about Game 7, but feel better then last year. Last year I wasn't that sure we were actually the better team, but this year we clearly are. But then again, in a 1 and done, anything can happen.

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What I'm saying is, just look at the stats. SOG are 202-141. Goals are 17-10. Offensive zone time is I-don't-even-know-how-lopsided. None of this means that the Caps WILL win, but they definitely SHOULD.

Posted by: christiansonm | April 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

ESPN reports that the Rangers have demanded a copy of Morrisonn's dental records .

I can't understand the tetanus shot. Now, if Barry Trotz bit me...

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 27, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Is this really being reported? If not, I, and I am sure many others would rather not have fellow fans cracking jokes using entities such as ESPN, TSN, etc as a source. Being retired military I would believe the Rangers would request records because it would be very easy to match the bite marks so it isn't an unrealistic request.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know where to find the TV ratings for games? I'm curious to see what numbers games 5 and 6 drew.

Posted by: capthis | April 27, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@ adamkatzen

I really doubt an AHL callup will give the rags any appreciable firepower. Just look at Giroux from Hershey and what he did in the NHL when we called on him. And he was a league leader. Scoring in the AHL is different than scoring in the NHL.

Posted by: Capsfan78 | April 27, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Brashear deserves a suspension, but if he doesn't get one, I think the Rangers might be let out of their cages. I think we can take the hit of losing Brash for a game and be at an advantage.

Posted by: washcaps | April 27, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

adamkatzen:

Don't fret, if they thought Ansimov could help them with their offense, they would have called him up sooner. As far as I can tell, he has no NHL experience.

Posted by: wienerdog4410 | April 27, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Here in the city of non-denial denials, its good to see Mo categorically deny that he bit him.

Feeding off the last post, I like Aucoin too. But is he the guy you want replacing Brash on the 4th line? Not so sure about that one.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 27, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

fanohock:

When I typed that, I put the G in brackets for "just kidding" but the note got posted w/o the paren G paren.

I intended to be clear that it was a joke, but wouldn't put it past the Rangers to try and match the teeth marks.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 27, 2009 1:35 PM

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Rangers are trying to mess with the Caps heads... It's plain and simple, Trying to get Mo off his game so maybe he'll come out and take stupid penalties.. or play soft..

The Drama City, The Drama Team, Drama Coach, Drama GM... Its time to put them away!!

If he did bite him.. Where is the video that shows this????? Of course the Rags cant produce it so they try to sell it...

Go away NY and take your meat-head fans with you!

I laugh now when I read what John Rocker said about NY... LOL talk about softies with thin skin but like to bark!... Ha

Posted by: darrylrbaker | April 27, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Of course Mo didn't bite him!

if you can't win, whine. And when that doesn't work, lie. Apparently this is the Rangers's formula for playoff success. Pathetic.

Posted by: CapsChick | April 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the Rangers actually requested that Shamo have his jaw wired shut for game 7. It's scary out there with all those teeth.

Posted by: FancyDan | April 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I personally would rather see Clark in there, but if you're not going to call up Aucoin, make it because you don't think he's up for the task. Don't use the excuse that you're holding on to an available call-up for later rounds. This is game 7!! If you have a trump card, now would be the time to play it

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

from Bob McKenzie at TSN -- and go there not ESPN if you want to hear from anybody who knows anything about the game.

I recognize there's plenty of gray areas when it comes to what's legal or not on the subject of head shots, but here's what I know beyond any shadow of doubt.

"When a player such as Brashear comes from behind the play, and at the last minute swoops in laterally, to hit an unsuspecting, puck-less player in the head with a shoulder or an elbow or whatever and does significant damage to that player, that is precisely the type of hit the NHL must work to eliminate. And if it can't eliminate that type of hit, then it at least needs to eliminate the players who deliver those types of hits.

Plain and simple, it's a sneak attack and with devastating consequences...

Hey, I get it. It's hockey. It's a contact game. It's man's game.

To which I respond: Great, then hit like men, not from the blind side on an unsuspecting player completing a neutral zone dump in on a line change.

One or two games for that, weighed against the devastating impact on Betts and what it could mean to his career and/or his life?

Pfffffft."

Hate to say it... I agree with him.

Our great comeback and what I'm anticipating is a great win tomorrow night... overshadowed by a cheapshot.

We have too good a hockey team for that.

Posted by: sinbin | April 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

a fourth line of gordon clark and fehr sounds like a strong fourth line that can play physical and muck it up in front of the net. This could be a blessing if brashear goes out. More skill if we can get game seven under our belt. Kind of like varly came in for JT. One question I thought Ferh was also a RW. I guess he will play on the left side.

Posted by: samb99 | April 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Crosby on Morrison's biting: “Like it or lump it, that’s what he does. Some people like it. Some people don’t. Personally, I don’t like it.”

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Quick stats guru's of Hershey,

has Varly ever faced this Anisimov kid and how did that work out? I don't want this one flippin person from the AHL ruining our post season...

Posted by: caps28fan | April 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The irony of the whoel thing with Mo is that last year, his jaw was wired shut when his jaw was broken and he still played.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

1) I don't hang out here in Comments, but I follow this blog pretty religiously. Huge fan, as I know you all are, too.

But what sinbin just posted by that McKenzie is spot on. Brashear deserves a suspension for that hit.

2) TARIK - or anyone, why is Green's name coming up today as a focus of possible discipline coming out of yesterday? ESPN had it, and I've seen some Ranger message boards bubbling with that, as well.

Just rumor mill?

Posted by: nonlinear_fc | April 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

hahahhahaha why is cindy even discussing this fabricated biting incident? you're not in the spot light right now, get over it!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Lost in all of this was a check from behind delivered to Federov by Antropov. Didn't anyone else see that?

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Anisimov. Sounds Russian to me. Guess they are trying to follow our lead.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I am fine with Brash's hit - if the refs/nhl are going to do nothing about some of the hits that the rags put on the Caps (Avery twice, Orr once, Dub once, and who ever else)... then, it's time to take matters into your own hands. The Rangers should blame the NHL for allowing them to play like a bunch of idiots... because that forced one of out players to regulate... and he succeeded.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

caps28fan,
Varly started both games the Wolfpack played against Hershey and had a combined .935 in the two games, with a 2.00 GAA. Ansimov had a goal in one game and one assist in the other. And a combined -5. The assist was on the PP. Hershey won both games.
Game sheets:

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 27, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Dubinski skated to the locker room with his pads and gloves on. He never took them off during the altercation with Morrison. So ShaMO bit through his gloves, jersey and pads? Don't think so. Does ShaMo even have teeth?

Posted by: moltzjo | April 27, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem necessarily with suspending Brash, but the discipline has to be even-handed. Whoever cheap-shotted Semin in game 5 wasn't suspended. Dubi may or may not be suspended for the hit on Green yesterday. Avery was suspended by the team, not the league. He would've otherwise gotten away with cheap shots on Pothier, Jurcina and Varly. If none of those earn suspensions, then neither should Brash

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla - um, he's taking the earlier quote about Ovie and... Aw, screw it...

_828 - Not trying to stir the pot too, much, so I'll just say this last thing. Not one hit by a Ranger has knocked one of our guys out of a game. Betts has a broken eye socket. I'm not OK with Slapshot/BS hockey. You can play hard, send messages, and be dirty/cheap. That's why so many people love Ovie.

Posted by: nonlinear_fc | April 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

As for ShaMo, I'd put money on Dubi taking a swing at him in the scrum while his mouth was open and then crying after the fact that he was bit.

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Better give all the Caps rabies shots, because the Rags will be biting.

Posted by: FancyDan | April 27, 2009 1:27 PM"

Well, the Rangers are playing like dogs...

Posted by: bbride1 | April 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant "You can play hard, send messages and NOT be dirty/cheap..."

Posted by: nonlinear_fc | April 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

i agree with most of mckenzie's comments, other than the "puckless player" and a player making a dump in going on a line change. betts was not puckless since he played the puck and it was not touched by another player. so players going off on line changes arent able to be hit. perhaps they could raise a red flag to indicate they are going off now. unsuspecting players get whacked all the time. who was more unsuspecting, betts or green when he got plowed by dubinsky.

first he says brash came laterally, then he said it was a blind side. which was it?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@_828: I agree that the Brash hit was the result of the NHL not taking care of business with respect to Avery and Orr.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

nonlinear_fc

hahaha totally missed that! all over the place at work and clearly paranoid with all these rumors flying around. time for me to take a reality check. done. and. done.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I have not seen a video review of the Brashear/Betts incident that leads me to believe a suspension is warrented for that hit. Betts made the collision worse because he didn't see Brash coming and skated right into the hit. In my opinion, I think Betts really got his bell rung when he fell and his head hit the ice, not from the hit itself. Hockey is a rough sport, and big hits are part of the game. Pothier got knocked out for over a year by Lucic, and I don't believe he received any suspension for that.

Posted by: cainoo7x | April 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Rangers fans are jumping off bridges left and right after reading some of their blogs. I saw maybe 2 posts where they say they still have a shot. Hopefully the Caps don't feel entitled to a win in game 7 and come out with the killer instinct and take it to the rags.

All it takes is a couple bad bounces and Lundstrom playing like game 2 for this to be a nightmare.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

nonlinear_fc,

So, the suspension has to deal with a player getting hurt? Orr was pretty close to decapitating Semin... Avery using the butt of his stick to punch juice in the face... consistency, that is all I am saying.

like I said, I am fine with Brash's hit. Of course the guy is going to get hurt, he is smaller than Brash - it's like Alex and Briere - I remember when people were calling Alex dirty for that hit.

I personally did not see the hit as being illegal - late, but not illegal... so, I am fine with the hit.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

It's official - BRASH OUT GAME 7

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Green may have been scheduled to recieve a call from the NHL to talk about the hit he took from Dubinsky and ESPN took it the wrong way (shocking and far fetched, I know). The league usually looks for both sides of a story before they dish out punishment. He didn't get injured though, so I doubt anything will come of it.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Scott Stevens pretty much ended Eric Lindros's career with a mid-ice hit and he didn't get suspended or called a goon.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else feel like Dubinsky and Avery are almost one in the same person. They both whine, they both try to pick fights which they themselves should even know they wont win (Erskine and Brashear). I mean damn, Brodeur would beat up Avery. The Rangers play dirty when they lose or when they get hit and dont like it. Remember in game 5 when Gomez got hammered along the boards right off the opening face-off and while he was sitting down took a slash at Ovie for hitting him. WEAK SAUCE, I'll put the rangers in my category with Cindy, the pens, and the flyers. All Nancy Boys

Posted by: CapsBoy52 | April 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

So Betts broke the orbital bone around his eye. Which side? If it's the right, you could infer that it was broken by Brashere on a high hit. If the left, it was broken by the ice when he fell, and there was no head-hunting/high hit by Brashere. So, which is it?

Posted by: WarshingtonDC | April 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

SHOVE GAME 7 UP THIS DUDE'S...

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Rangers coach John Tortorella would not discuss his suspension after practice today.

That led to a testy exchange between Torts and veteran New York Post columnist Larry Brooks:

Brooks: "What's your response to being suspended yesterday?"
Tortorella: "I have no response. I'm not discussing that."
Brooks: "You're not discussing the fact that you were suspended for a playoff game?"
Tortorella: "That's just what I said. I am not discussing that. Next question."
Brooks: "That's unbelievable, John. Unbelievable."
Tortorella: "You guys have your opinions, write 'em. Next question."
Brooks: "So, it's like a player, after a game, commits a mistake, he doesn't have an obligation to talk?"
Tortorella: "You guys think you're entitled to all information, Larry. I am not giving you any information."
Brooks: "I'm asking for your opinion, not information. Your opinion of your being suspended in the middle of a playoff series?"
Tortorella: "You have your opinion. You don't need me in the conversation. So I'm not going to answer that. You don't need mine and I'm not going to give it to you. Next question, please."

Your humble reporter tried to pry more information out of Tortorella at the end of his availability today.

LeBrun: "Schoeny revealed something pretty important yesterday, John. He said he was trying to push you over the glass [during the altercation with a fan in Game 5]?"

Tortorella laughed along with the other reporters and said, "That's the last question I'm taking."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Brash's suspension will stem from the pre game activity more so than the "late" hit. Its a shame Betts got injured, you don't ever want to see that but I think the cries of a cheap hit are exaggerated.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | April 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

_828 - Yeah, just like guys get high sticked and if there's blood, the penalty is harsher. The NHL has a long history of bumping up fines and suspensions due to the severity of the injury. I'm sure others here can back me up on that, as I'm not making a controversial point there.

Guys, ultimately we are better off with Clark in there. I'm almost hoping for a suspension. Brashear just doesn't add much to a Game 7. He already did his job.

Posted by: nonlinear_fc | April 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Totally off topic, but hockey related...has anyone seen this report (my link is from puckdaddy)....WOW!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The NHL dealt a 1 one-game suspension to Donald Brashear

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@_828

I'm with you. It seems to me there are some in the league and some refs who insist on drawing parallel between somebody getting hurt and "dirty hit". Jurcina and Pothier weren't injured by Avery, so no suspension. Betts is injured so Brash is called on the carpet. Same goes for penalty calls. The one that really irked me yesterday was 3rd period when Erskine was called for the hit on Antripov because he was hurt. Antripov was (a) controlling the puck and (b) already on his way down when Erskine laid a clean check on him. But because Antripov had to leave the game, Erskine must've committed a penalty. That was part of the 5-on-3 that was the Rags 2nd goal. Injured DOES NOT equal "dirty hit"

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Brash's hit on Betts wasn't nearly as bad as when Scott Stevens (no penalty or suspension) laid out Lindros in the playoffs 8 or 10 years ago. Like Betts, Lindros had his head down. I feel bad for the guy, but he really wasn't paying attention. It wasn't blindsided. They came pretty much right toward each other. I see Ovie try to lay guys out all the time. Yesterday he tried and the Ranger spun out of the way at the last and Ovie almost flipped over the boards and into the Caps bench. McKenzie is partially right, the league needs to eliminate head shots, but the bottom line is Betts had way more chance to avoid Brash (had his head been up) than Green had to avoid Dubinsky.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 27, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Claude the Fraud got 2 games for the hit from behind on Draper that essentially broke his entire face.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Did you all see that our buddy Scotty Upshall has been suspended in the worlds from Team Canada for a cheap shot on a Hungarian players. Yes, Hungarian, and it was a blowout. Glad Upshall went to the Western Conference so we don't have to see his cheap play. He was the one that was whining in the playoffs last season when the Caps finally started cleaning out the slot when the Flyers would crash the net on a frozen puck, and then dive at the slightest contact. BUM.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1:

Please provide the rule that states that the puck has to be played by another player before you can interfer with them. The only rule I have seen says no such thing, Rule 56.1 of the NHL Rulebook.

Also there is no contradiction between saying someone came laterally and blindsided. Brashear did in fact come laterally towards Betts who was looking the other direction and blindsided him.

Quick rule of thumb. If Colton Orr had done that to Gordon what would your reaction be? If you can honestly say that you would still argue it was absolutely clean than argue away. Take off the Caps colored glasses, you are sounding like a Rangers fan.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | April 27, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"cainoo - Dude has a broken eye socket. Kind of difficult for me to understand how he'd get that, other than colliding with Brashear's shoulder."

Watch the replay again, but watch the contact Betts made with the ice. Dude's head kinda whiplashes right into it. If you don't think that surface is hard, ask Steve Moore what he thinks about hitting the ice face first.

Posted by: cainoo7x | April 27, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and they're still complaining about it in Detroit! Claude the Fraud remains public enemy #1 up there.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom, Mason and Thomas final 3 for Vezina. What, no King?

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

freakinandpeakin,

Orr did that to Semin... and yes, we all complained about it, but NO ONE did anything about it. Blame Betts injury on the NHL or Orr or Avery...

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The NHL dealt a 1 one-game suspension to Donald Brashear

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 2:16 PM

Link?

Posted by: Fro_ | April 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

freakin:

The only possible explanation any human doesn't see another human or an object coming right toward him (in daylight) is the person is either blind or isn't looking.

You can't create a "blindsided" situation because you aren't looking.

"I didn't see the other car coming" doesn't make the other driver guilty.

The first thing we were taught as children was "look both ways before crossing."

The first rule of thumb in hockey is "keep your head up." Betts did not, and that is why the four officials on the ice didn't call a penalty.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

No link yet. I have a source with the Caps that already heard in the organization. Brash is out Game 7, its confirmed

I knew when they sat Ovie for a regular season maple leafs game as well.

I am sure Tarik will post soon

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Why do they call Brashear an Enforcer? What is an Enforcer? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcer_(hockey))

Enforcer is an unofficial role in ice hockey. The term is sometimes used synonymously with "fighter", "tough guy" or "goon".

An enforcer's job is to deter and respond to dirty or violent play by the opposition. When such play occurs, the enforcer is expected to respond aggressively, by fighting or checking the offender. Enforcers are expected to react particularly harshly to violence against star players or goalies.

That's his job!

The funny thing is... when the Caps were losing, people were complaining that they are a bunch of pansies... now, they are dirty cavemen. Funny how that works.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Nicky win the Veniza.

Posted by: saintex | April 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

freakin,
The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

you can question whether the hit was rendered immediately, or that whether he charged him. but he was not a "puckless player" as mckenzie said. also, blind side suggests the side he cant see, like behind. are you going to eliminate lateral hits because a player might not be looking that direction? should they put stop signs on thier backs and shoulders like in pee wee hockey?

if orr did that to gordon i would say the same thing. stupid unecessary hit that was a borderline charging/interference penalty. when i looked that the replay and saw his elbow was tucked, i would have had a similarly hard time saying it was a dirty head shot.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Ah, DCSPORTS, you're back with your inside scoops. We all laughed at you on the Ovi sitting thing - and you were right. You still push of inside info - be careful, special agent man.

Posted by: saintex | April 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I would say between Thomas and Backstrom. You could look at it two ways. Backstrom played more and accomplished his numbers on a non-playoff team, so he had more work to do. On the other hand, Thomas has better numbers and played for the second best team. I'm still undecided...

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Like this series needs more storylines: Artem Anisimov and Varly? Teammates back in 06-07 on Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.

Posted by: tamalhb | April 27, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

A one game suspension is about right. On another note, I couldn't believe the bias of the NBC coverage. It was all about the Rangers. "The Rangers need to do ___ to stop Ovechkin." "Look at what great defense Morris is playing." Ignoring the fact that Caps are beating them 3 -1. I finally turned off the volume and listened to the Capitals radio coverage. Same as I used to do for the Redskins. Anyone else notice this bias?

Posted by: codyhess1 | April 27, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

saintex-

I know, I just want my fellow caps fans to be informed. Honestly, he probably deserves it.

I feel really confident about tomorrow regardless

var-LAHH-mov is the missing piece

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

tamalhb,
That could be why they called him up - basically, how to solve Varlamov - they figured out Theo... now they need to crack Varly... good move by the Rangers.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

DCSPORTS, no worries. We are tracing your IP as I type.

Posted by: saintex | April 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"If Colton Orr had done that to Gordon what would your reaction be?"

Ummm...Colton Orr *DID* do that to Semin.

They did nothing to him because Semin didn't get injured.

Disciplining players based on the outcome of their acts rather than the act itself sets a bad precedent.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

codyhess1,
At one point, Peeair said "we" need to do this... referring to the Rangers.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@cody

ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY. I had at least 3 other caps fans texting me during the game making comments about the bias BS. Milbury's a tool

Posted by: bhound69 | April 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

DCSPORTS - Any word on if any other Caps are/were being looked at? ESPN's crappy reporting has me all nervous.

Posted by: nonlinear_fc | April 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The only bias I noticed was when McGuire kept going on about how disappointed he was in the Rangers. He looked like he was taking it personally. Honestly though, everybody says the national broadcasters hate their team. Who really cares? It will be interesting, however, to see Doc call a Caps-Devils game if that series becomes reality

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Stevens hit on Lindros, he laid out Kariya with almost the exact hit Brash put on Betts, after the puck was gone. I would bet that the puck was gone for a longer period of time on the Stevens hit than the Brash incident. No penalty was called on Stevens after than hit.

I love Stevens but that guy always played close to the imaginary line where clean and dirty meet.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Re: national broadcasters. Most of you probably have been watching CSN this series, but as an out-of-towner I've been watching via Versus. They've done a pretty good job I thought. Forslund and Eliot called at least two of the games honestly and Jones/Engblom are waay better in studio than McGuire/Milbury. I still like Panger though

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

nonlinear_fc

I have no idea if Morrision was being looked at but I do not believe he will be suspended or has any chance to be suspended without video evidence

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

to JS26121820's comment about fans always thinking the National broadcasters are against them. I didn't see them as against the Caps as much as they were FOR the Rangers. Never noticed it quite so much in other national games. When Joe B. does nat'l games, I listen very closely for his bias Main thing he does is refer to Ovie as "the Great 8." this has been the worst I can remember. Where did Eddie O coach or play? Are the others affiliated with the Rangers?

Posted by: codyhess1 | April 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Eddie O is a Blackhawks guy. They haven't been on NBC yet cause they don't want to kill their ratings with the Flames (that's been a very, very entertaining series though). The Hawks should win that, so we'll see if he calls them later down the line

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

codyhess1-

I totally noticed the bias. I seemed to pain them to report the caps were doing well. They sounded like a couple guys sitting around MSG complaining about the Caps success.

VTDuffman-

I agree, this sets a horrible standard and I'm hoping its one that the league reevaluates. With all the public pressure I'm not surprised they caved in but it is ridiculous that someone like Avery wasn't suspended because he was unsuccessful at taking some of our players out for good. No one can convince me that Avery's intention was anything short of that, and if they are going to punish Brash for recklessness they should have done the same to Avery from the start.

That said, I hope the Caps make the Rangers choke on their antics tomorrow.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If NBC has shown a bias it's in Eastern Conf vs. Western Conf. Two weekends in a row were PHI-PIT and NYR-WAS. They've completely ignored the existence of some really good hockey

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@codyhess1 - You're just noticing that bias now? It's been like that for 15 years.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 27, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying all along, if Brash's hit caused Betts' injury, and if it was a dirty hit, then yes, a suspension would be warranted. If it was a CLEAN hit, then no.

I would like, however, to see the Caps complain about all the guys who put dirty hits on them before the Brash-Betts incident... no... wait. That would suspend half the Rangers' team.

@codyhess1 - Yes, the Rangers' announcers were very biased. Drove me up a wall.

I'm waiting for official word from a better source than some random guy on a blog before I say anything further about the Brashear situation.

Posted by: irockthered | April 27, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

NY Team in the playoffs = more ratings. its as simple as that. Pit/phl and nyr/was will outdraw chi/cal or det/cbs any day. and sj/ana is a no go cause they would have to start the games at 11 am out there.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

nice obfuscation, tarik. your little write-up implied that brashear's suspension will be as a result of the pregame antics rather than his brutal elbow to bett's head. maybe your typical caps "fan", who has been following the NHL for a few months, will fall for your hometown propaganda, but come on now. the "hard hit" by brashear that you mentioned as an aside, will be the cause of his suspension. it was a brutal elbow to the head, and betts didnt even have the puck. he's an animal. if brashear went after colton orr or avery, i would say all's fair in love and war. but betts is a clean player who plays hard and stays away from that stuff. hey all you cap fans who decided to taunt the rangers about what a goom sean avery is, no comment about this at all right? hypocrites, every one of you. next time you wanna throw comments at me because i'm wearing a jersey you dont like, think about learning the game first. then we can talk.

Posted by: BCinDC3 | April 27, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps - That's ... unbelievable. And the comments on the blog entry are just unreal. Wow.

Posted by: irockthered | April 27, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Brash was just doing his job. He was trying to protect his team mates by retaliating for some of the cheap Ranger hits. Brash is not a dirty player, so I dont believe he intentionally tried to cheat shot Betts, but unfortunately, he did. The play happened so fast and yes he was trying to make a hit but the elbow flew up last second. He has to be suspended for that intentional or not.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 27, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Eddie O also, briefly and unspectacularly, coached the Flightless Fowl, post-lockout, I think.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Watch the tape. Betts was the last player with possession, and he was not hit with an elbow.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1

Completely agreed on their reasoning to get ratings. If you haven't been watching Ducks-Sharks or Hawks-Flames though you're really missing out. If they were interested in growing hockey, they would introduce people to those teams also and guys like Kane, Toews, Phaneuf, Getzlaff and Cheechoo, and not JUST Crosby and Ovechkin. But they're not interested in growing hockey, only selling ads and generating revenue. I'm not naive on that front.

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"think about learning the game first."

According to the rules, Betts *did* still have the puck. Perhaps you should practice what you preach when it comes to "learning about the game first."

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

[snip]maybe your typical caps "fan", who has been following the NHL for a few months, will fall for your hometown propaganda, but come on now.[snip]

Posted by: BCinDC3 | April 27, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

talk about propaganda! Where'd you hear that caps fans have only been watching hockey for "a few months," some Rangers blog/ or was it Pensblog? Or the 700 Section? Wait, I know, the comments section of puck Daddy!

I suffered through the Schoeny years; others here have suffered far longer than I. Please, take your regurgutated "facts" and slither back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"if brashear went after colton orr or avery, i would say all's fair in love and war. but betts is a clean player who plays hard and stays away from that stuff. hey all you cap fans who decided to taunt the rangers about what a goom sean avery is, no comment about this at all right?"

Posted by: BCinDC3 | April 27, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Since people already addressed the obvious, I will take this section. So what this guy is saying that it's ok to headhunt other goons but noone should check "clean" players.

If you read all the posts that were refering to this incident, you would see that it's probably 50/50 in terms of Caps fans being ok with Brash being suspended so I'm not sure where this "no comment" is coming from. Idiot.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 27, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@BCinDC3 - Have you actually been reading the comments, or are you just snarking?

Most of us AGREE that if Brashear's hit was a dirty hit, he deserves a suspension for it. I certainly do. If it was NOT deemed a dirty hit, then no, no suspension, tough luck. It's hockey. People. Get. Hurt.

We didn't call for blood when Pothier was knocked out for a year by a legal hit. We don't, on LEGAL HITS.

But dirty hits? Heck yes. We'll call for blood. And you should, too.

If the hit is deemed as clean, then no suspension is warranted. If it isn't... then yes, a one-game suspension and a fine to cover some of Betts' medical expenses would be in order. I'm sure, however, that Brashear was not winding up to hit Betts and knock him out of the game. He's not that kind of a player.

If you don't like the fact that people get hurt playing hockey, go watch golf. Oh, wait. Tiger Woods got hurt doing THAT, too. Make it ping-pong. That's relatively safe.

Posted by: irockthered | April 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

New York "fans" really like to ignore the fact that their team has been headhunting since Game 1.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Ah, so Avery can keep hitting people in the head and face with his stick, miss with an elbow and succeed with landing the butt end of his stick (jurcina), put his stick blade to a players throat, and not face even a call from the league, never mind a suspension. However, if Brashear lays out a semi-late borderline hit, he's an animal and should be suspended? Right... WHen Brashear's suspension is over, put him back in so the next team the Caps face are well aware what will happen if they target the Caps players for cheap shots.

The whole biting accusation is weird. Especially if there is not one single frame of video showing it. If it ends up being bs, should that equal a suspension? Is that like diving? Claiming to have been bit in order to undermine an opposing player? Because it should be. Thats not hockey, thats soccer.

As for complaining rags fans and players, cry all you want. Its helpful, though; the grass on the course wont care, and could use the water.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I believe Brash's hit was late and might have gotten the elbow up a bit (hard to tell on replay). Should he have been penalized? Yes, and maybe even a major. The suspension? No. Hits are made to send messages and the Rangers have been sending them the entire series. Look at what they were doing in the 3rd of game 5. I believe they even got 2 misconducts. The difference here is that Betts got hurt. Were the intentions any different? I realyy don't think so. When Semin got clotheslined, I don't think the Rag was literally trying to take his head off and, in fact, Semin was not injured. I also do not believe Brash literally intended to take Betts out of the game. That's where fans need to try to remain objective and make the penalty fit. As mentioned before, I think Brash's 2 minute penalty for roughing was light, and as a Caps fan, would have completely supported a major.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 27, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not convinced it was a dirty hit. Looked like a shoulder check with the elbow popping up after the fact in the follow through. Betts had just dumped the puck a second before impact. Players get hit after distributing the puck all game long. Watch the next time a D man on any time retrieves the puck behind the goal line and passes it forward. The first forward on the forecheck always finishes his hit, even though the puck had been played.

Its unfortunate that Betts had his head down (and possibly hit his head on the ice when he fell) but I am not convinced that it was dirty.

Its not like Brash hit him with the butt end of the stick, or clotheslined a players skating across the middle, or blatantly boarded a player from behind.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | April 27, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the hit, that was payback for the Rangers cheap shots, head shots and dirty play all series. Brashear bid his time, knowing that a situation may present itself. When it did, he sent a message. It wasn't a dirty hit, it was a late hit, a very hard hit, one that wouldn't have been such an issue if Betts had his head UP in the neutral zone. What goes around comes around. Don't like it? Then don't do it. Brash didn't cheap shot anyone first. He just had the final word.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@ oo7

My kids are 3, 5 and 7 and thus tattle on each other all the time. I don't give them time-outs for it. I just ignore them and don't give the tattling any attention or justice.

Substitute Dubi for "3, 5 or 7 year old" and substitute suspension for "time-out". So no, he shouldn't be suspended for being a whiny lying *%&ch. He should just be ignored

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Been such a drought for so long to have a Caps team worthy of national coverage. Still prefer the homey's. Always been a TV bias for NYR, Philly and Detriot. never see Vancouver in a network covered game - even if they are playing well right now. All about ratings.

Brash's hit was not clean. Was way after the puck was elsewhere. He deserved a penalty. Was surprised he didn't get a 10 minute. If anyone hit Gordon or Steckel the Same way, there'd be screams on this blog for his blood.

Posted by: codyhess1 | April 27, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

gonch, i watched the replay frame by frame. his elbow was tucked all the way through the hit and only came up afterwards. textbook shoulder check regardless of whether it might have been late or otherwise.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Tarik put it the way he did because any Brash suspension will be for the Orr interaction. The hit was late but not dirty enough for suspension. Not sayin the Betts hit is not influencing any suspension, but the rationale will be the warm up.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

oo7...

I think its been stated here before... but if he gets a game suspension I really doubt it would be for the Betts hit. It would more likely be for the Orr altercation during warm ups. The NHL is just being very strict on anything happening during pre game warmups.

That being said. I think if he does get a suspension you will see a lot more calls in game 7 because of it. The refs will be forced to call it close which with NY's penchant for taking stupid penalties this series could end up going in washingtons favor.

I guess we will see what happens on Tuesday.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | April 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet you my favorite Sindy voodoo doll that Brashear's suspension is credited to the pregame nonsense with Orr, not blowing up Betts.
Brash's hit on Betts was rent-controlled--y'know, cheapISH. But if Betts doesn't wobble to the room semi-conscious, there's no story. Further, if FIVE Rangers aren't playing prison-rules hockey for the last three games, Brashear wouldn't have been wearing his titanium shoulder pads.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 27, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

NEW YORK - The New York Rangers have sent a letter to Colin Campbell requesting an investigation into the swine flu epidemic that is threatening to break out. Glen Sather and John Tortorella claim to have evidence that the Washington Capitals developed the mutant strain of the virus that has started circulating and planted it in a Mexican pork processing facility knowing that one of the workers was planning a trip to New York to visit relatives. The employee, Juan Gomez, was believed to be a distant relation to Scott Gomez and the Capitals hoped the entire New York Rangers organization would be disabled by the flu.

Sather said, "This is despicable behavior by the Capitals and we are demanding severe penalties from the NHL. We are also concerned that Shaone Morrisonn is carrying the flu and bit Brandon (Dubinsky) in an attempt to infect him. He went to the locker room to get an influenza vaccination, not a tetanus shot.
We feel that nothing less than suspending the entire Capitals organization for game 7 of this playoff series is acceptable."

John Tortorella added, "That is why I freaked out when a fan behind the bench in game 5 called me a pig. We already had evidence of the Capitals plans and I thought that they might throw a cup of influenza on me."

When Gary Bettman was asked to comment he said "...I don't feel well, and it is hard to stop coughing long enough to speak."

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 27, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

redline,
you bring up a good point. one thing the league could do to eliminte the impact of head shots is to require smaller shoulder pads. i mean, the one's ovie wears look like linebacker pads. i dont think brash wears big pads, nor does erskine, but some of these guys do and they are hard.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Betts is injured is the sole reason why Brashear will get a short suspension. If Betts jumps back up and skates his next shift, there's no chance we're still talking about this. By that I'm not saying that it was a clean hit - but the result, and not the act, is why he'll probably sit a game. I'm just glad we have quality players ready to take his spot. Go Caps.

Posted by: jay-17 | April 27, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

JS26121820- I hear you, makes sense. I wouldnt mind players getting suspended a game for wasting the leagues time and lying, if in fact thats what he did. Either way, he should get drilled in game 7.

Dizzy1205, As for the suspension, we'll see I guess. The league takes a number of dumb positions, i think. No policing of head shots in a game despite claiming to be against it, but absolutely no shoving in pre game warm ups. wtf? who cares if they shove a little? thats a big deal? head shots aren't? just another day in the league office, I suppose.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Dizzy:

Brash deserved the suspension for the two altercations.

After giving TORT a one-game it is a make up suspension....

They will be fine without him. Just don't put NYLS in a game again

Posted by: DCSPORTS | April 27, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@oo7
They care because there are no refs or personnel on the ice during warm ups to stop any kind of altercation from escalating. I agree they need to look at that kind of stuff on a case by case basis and they very well may, but I also no they just dont play around with that type of stuff.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | April 27, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

that was my point dizzy, refs are on the ice for the head shots but that doesn't stop them. No refs for warmups and its just a little pushing. its a dumb position to take. send the refs out for warm ups then and be done with it.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Brash's hit on Betts was a head shot. The league has to deal with these types of hits intentional or not. The incident with Orr before the game also had to be reviewed. I think Brash will gladly take the consequences for his actions. He sent a message before and during the game. His role is to protect his teammates and he did his job.
This is playoff hockey and alot of stuff is happening out there on the ice on both sides.
I think both teams will play game 7 very cautious as one PP goal could be the difference.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 27, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1 -

Yeh, it appeared to me at first that the contact was a clean, shoulder hit, but then I saw the elbow come up perhaps as a follow-through. I don't know, and couldn't tell if his elbow made contact. He's so friggin big regardless. Still, no suspension for it.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 27, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Rangers coach John Tortorella said all the pressure is on Washington in Tuesday's Game 7. And he has proof.

During a sometime contentious press briefing, Tortorella asked how many reporters thought the Eastern Conference Quarterfinal between his No. 7 seeded Rangers and second-seeded Washington Capitals would get to seven games, and a few media members raised their hands.

Then, he asked the 20 or so reporters if they thought his team had a chance of winning Tuesday night's Game 7 (7 p.m. ET, VERSUS, TSN, RDS) on the road after blowing a 3-1 advantage with back-to-back blowouts at the hands of the suddenly resurgent Capitals.

Not a single hand went up.

"There you go," Tortorella said after the no-show of hands. "There is no pressure on us. We're going to go there and try to relax and compete in a Game 7 because everybody thinks we're done.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 27, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@DCsports

I dont see the hit as deserving a suspension. Yeah it was late but most of the damage that happened was because of his not having his head up and on a swivel. Any of us that have played this game for long enough know that when you are not paying attention to whats going on around you at all times things can and usually do happen. Im not making excuses I just know from experience that when you arent paying attention like Betts was, you will usually get smoked, like Betts did.

late hit sure.. 2 min penalty or a double minor at most a 10 min. misconduct... A suspension for it? No way.. if you give him a suspension for the Betts hit then you should give Dubi a suspension for the Green hit.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | April 27, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

That's so weak by Torts. Wow, the reporters didn't raise their hands. The point has been proven!! I hope he keeps trying to win the media war over who has pressure. He can go on with his bad self. We'll just show up and play a hockey game, thank you very much

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Padow1 | April 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Brash?

Posted by: AMEason52 | April 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Brashear gone for 6 games! UNREAL!

Posted by: cappies | April 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

6 games. Ridiculous.

Posted by: CapsChick | April 27, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Brashear suspended 6 games. 1 for orr and 5 for Betts - see nhl.com

Posted by: letsgocaps52 | April 27, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

SIX eff'ing games?! For christ sake, and Orr gets off scott eff'ing free for a premeditated clothesline. Un eff'ing believable.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

6 game suspension

1 for the altercation with Orr

5 for the hit on Betts

"Brashear delivered a shoulder hit to an unsuspecting player. It is also my opinion that the hit was delivered late and targeted the head of his opponent, causing significant injury."
-- Colin Campbell

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

How many games is Dubinsky suspended for?

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Now you see thats NY making a stink about stuff in the media so that they can get additional time on Brash.

If you say nothing else about them you have to hand it to NY they are masters of sending (Insert League or league official here) a message through the media.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | April 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd really love the NHL to issue a statement about the bahavior of the Rangers, such as that outrageous letter (and, I'm sorry, the outright immaturity of making it public), the ongoing crying in an effort to get the refs of their side, the apparently outright LYING in regards to the Dubinsky/Morrison "incident," and the list goes on and on and on. Never have I seen an organization conduct itself is such an unprofessional manner, from top to bottom.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Six game suspension for Brash....

Posted by: jpalexa1 | April 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

One more win and this will be over. As if the intensity won't be racheted up in the next rounds.

Posted by: saintex | April 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Clark or Nylander?

I vote for Clark

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

When the last game's outcome was in doubt the Rangers missed opportunities to get out in front on a few different occasions (Callahan, Naslund and Zheredev I think). Varlamov thwarted Callahan and Naslund and Zheredev missed an open net. A defensive turnover led to the Zheredev miss. I know no game's going to be perfect but Caps, get the lead and keep it.

If we pay attention to detail, something that was lacking in the third period, and have the lead we should be alright but I worry about this next game.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie

Its the NY way... Look at the Yanks and how they handle stuff. Look at the Knicks or the Giants. This is normal behavior for sports in that City.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | April 27, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Brash suspended for 6 games.

Posted by: SarahM28 | April 27, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? 6 freakin games? Thats a huge suspension for what amounts to a questionable late hit.

After watching the replays - the hit was a little late. BUT IT WAS A LEGAL HIT! 100% shoulder.

Campbell is an idiot. How can you let hits to the head go on undisiplined all season and then nail a guy for 5 games during the playoffs?!?!?

I would have accepted this more if the sentences were reversed - 5 games for the pre-game incident and 1 for the hit to the head. It sends a strong message that warmups are not the place to send a message and it shows the players the NHL is concerned about hits to the head without going completly over-board.

This is ruling is a joke and I hope Brash appeals.

Posted by: patrone | April 27, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | April 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

you're right, of course. Orr's hit on Semin was uncalled for, malicious and with intent to injure, but the Capitals, as an entire organization, took the high road (helps, of course, that they won and we got not only another Ovie highlight reel goal, but a nice show from unlikely hero Matt Bradley), and didn't whine about it for two solid days to everyone and anyone who would listen.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 27, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

6 games for Brash...all I can say is wow. SO basically the NHL is saying, it takes someone to be hurt in order to warrant a suspension. So if Avery would've seriously hurt anyone of the Caps on his three or four bonehead plays he'd be suspended for 5 games? Or if Dubi, wipes of Green for the series on that check from behind than he gets 5 games? I don't get it NHL; show a little consistency.

Posted by: reesem37 | April 27, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ FancyDan!! And @_828, that quote sounds familiar. Can't quite place it tho.... Oh yeah, waaaaaaahhhhhhsidneycrosby!

Posted by: AmyS1 | April 27, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

a shoulder hit to an unsuspecting player. perhaps brash should wear a whistle to warn guys that hes coming. late? probably. targetting his head, doubtful. he was targetting his whole body. if he was targeting his head, he would have lifted his elbow. both guys are 6'3".

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked. This is out of proportion.

If the Caps needed any motivation, which they don't, they just got a bunch more. Like Laich said before Game 5, bodies will be flying out there!

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ok let me explain. i'll type slowly so all you long standing caps fans who disguised yourselves as empty seats in the years between detroit's sweep of the cup finals in '98 and ovie's arrival can follow me. the intent and severity of the infraction AND the outcome of the incident factor into punishment meted out by the league. i may not agree with it, but thats the way it goes. for those stating that its hockey and physicality is part of the game, i agree. but in the end, the league has to have some means of controlling the violence and this is how they have chosen to do it. this is why high sticking penalties that draw blood get double minors as opposed to standard two minutes when no blood is drawn. getting to the instant case, i watched the replay at least a dozen times and brashear's hit was 1) late (betts did NOT by league rules have the puck despite what some of you may think) and 2) was delivered with an elbow. we all know what players like brashear and orr are out there to do, and he was doing it. personally i hope he's not suspended b/c he is a detriment to your team, but the fact is it WAS a dirty play. for what its worth, nobody was more horrified by what avery did at the end of game four than i, so save the keystrokes before you call me out on that. and yes, there is a distinction between going after another team's enforcer with a questionable or dirty hit and going after a clean player. maybe in the real world its irrelevant who you run over with your car, but this is hockey and its part of the milieu. but i understand that you guys are still within your learning curve with this game so i guess i should be more understanding of your silly retorts. hey, fire back with as much venom as you like, speaking as a hockey fan i'm just glad to see some energy around the sport in this town even if its at my and my team's expense. you guys have to admit its pretty lame around here until daniel snyder does something stupid.

Posted by: BCinDC3 | April 27, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

whine whine whine caps fans, the NHL did the right thing. He broke the guy's orbital bone and knocked him out of the playoffs on an intentional shot to the head when the guy didn't know it was coming.

Posted by: JK111 | April 27, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

So then Brash will be back in time for game 6 of the next round against either the Pens or Devils.

At least he will be well rested when we take on the Bruins for the Eastern Conference title.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 27, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

BCinDC3,

The speed you type is not going to effect the speed at which we read your ignorant posts, but good try at an insult. Thanks for filling us unknowledgable fans with your wisdom on hockey etiquette.

Maybe you should watch the replay at least another dozen times, it wasnt an elbow.

I actually agree to the suspension (I don't know about 6 games) but you obviously feel the need to insult us as you're making your points to make yourself feel better. I sense a hint of bitterness in your posts. Hopefully the Caps will put you and your sad excuse of a team out of its misery tomorrow and you can go back to wherever you came from. You are a toolbox.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 27, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I just hope we can win tomorrow so I don't have to listen to other cap fans blame this suspension on losing yet another playoff series.
Fans are still whining about Game 7 against Philly last year. I'd love to be able to move to round two without the stupid fans crying.

Hey Ted I'm actually praying for ya to FINALLY win a series!

Posted by: caphcky | April 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Here's a scenario for all of you "it was a clean hit" types on the Brashear headhunt. Tue. night Orr or Avery decides 5 games is worth it to decapitate OV/Greene/Semin (take your pick). Would you all be singing the sme tune?

Posted by: PWEILove | April 27, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

A couple of reactions of interest that I received:
This is total crap!! If the cheap shot on Green did not lead to a suspension, then why this Answer: the Ranger got busted up! The bum—Campbell—who calls these decisions got his job because of his nepotistic father. This is wildly excessive. As far as I am concerned, the NHL declared war on the Caps and we should treat it as such. No hold barred!! Abuse these officiating bums from the first whistle. Ignore the NHL official apologists/parasites like Bill Clements and his ilk!

Oh by the way, where is the 6 gamer for Avery??

NHL declares war on Caps!!! Not time to back down. Fans behind the NY bench bring it on with full fury!!!!!!! Protect the Brash!!!

Canadians cannot stomach the superior skills of the Russians and have been cheap calling them all year. This fits the pattern--punish the Caps and you diminish the Russians!!

Posted by: bardo2 | April 27, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

PWEILove

IF the Rangers had some truly skilled players to worry about being a head hunter that'd be one thing, but you have nobody in Ovie, Semin or Green's neighborhood........

So, the league sat Brash down for no real reason, you have no talent to speak of to put him on the ice to go after....

Posted by: gamiller1 | April 27, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

gamiller1
You didn't answer the question.

Posted by: PWEILove | April 27, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse