Morrisonn Out Week to Week

Defenseman Shaone Morrisonn is out week-to-week with an upper body injury, Coach Bruce Boudreau said after this morning's pre-game skate. Although he declined to get specific about the injury, Morrisonn clearly was favoring his shoulder when he left the ice late in the first period on Tuesday night.

Boudreau also said that no one has been called up, so Steve Eminger will be in the lineup tonight against the last place Lightning.

Also, center David Steckel (broken finger) won't be ready. He skated today and afterward said he still doesn't have the range of motion he needs in the finger to be effective. But he hopes to be ready for Saturday's game against Florida.

I also ran into defenseman Brian Pothier, who has been out since January with a concussion. He didn't want to say much because of team rules, but said he's begun to work out lightly in recent days. Still, it sounded to me like he's not going to able to return until next season, regardless of how much longer the Caps' season goes.

Cristobal Huet will be in net and the rest of the lineup will be the same, Boudreau said.

Note:Washington Post Live will be broadcast live from Verizon Center tonight, so be sure to tune in at 5 p.m.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 3, 2008; 11:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update on Morrisonn
Next: Caps' Playoff Scenarios

Comments

Unleash the Fury tonight!

Posted by: Caps 423 | April 3, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Any idea who is in net for Tampa?

Posted by: SA-Town | April 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the updates!

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chad | April 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Any other luckless souls without tickets going to watch the game at a bar tonight?

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | April 3, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

First!

Sux for Morrisonn but it's nice to actually see eminger get a lil bit of ice time now since tey didn't call up lepisto, win tonight and we're in 7th!

Posted by: Patrick | April 3, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Harry | April 3, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's Go Caps! I loved hearing all the car horns after Tuesday night's game. Hopefully the crowd brings the same intensity! More importantly, hopefully the players bring their "A" Game!

Posted by: Don-Ald | April 3, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Sucks for Morrison. HEEL DAMN IT HEEL!

I still believe.

Posted by: goskinsgo | April 3, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the injury updates (including a Pothier update!). That really sucks about Mo and Steckel. We need them at this critical time. It must be killing them not to be able to help out the team down the stretch.

Hey Tarik, a link to your blog was printed in today's Express, but they referred to you as Tariq El Bashir. Which really isn't surprising given that it's just about the most poorly edited "paper" I've seen.

Let's Go Caps!! Everybody wear red!!

Posted by: Jill | April 3, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

So if the Caps win tonight by 10 goals they're in right?

Posted by: dave | April 3, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

LOL...

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Tarik for MVW! (Most Valuable Writer)

If the Caps win tonight the headline should be "RED HOT!" then a sub-head: "Caps can reach playoffs with win in last game vs. Panthers.

This will be true because Ottawa will lose tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Well at least we have 3 goalies.

It was obvious from last night's game Lecavalier doesn't give a damn anymore this season. He had some lazy penalties and some pathetic checking that led directly to at least one goal. Hopefully that wonderful attitude carries over tonight.

Posted by: Icebat | April 3, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates and it's great to hear that Pothier is starting to work out again. I hope he can return next season with a vengence.

Posted by: Carey | April 3, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

7 hours to go

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

How long do the Caps have to try to re-sign players before they are free agents on the open market?

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I am officially worthless today.

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@Rich C (from last thread):

Here are the playoff chances (with the caveat that they use a suspect factor of every game being a 50-50 tossup):

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Hew,

July 1, I think.

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I have a list of the "25 top sports bars in Austin Texas" and am going to be calling each one hoping to find someone who will be carrying the game.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@Hew

July 1, I believe.

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Repost -- didn't know there had been an update.

Does anyone know the extent to which there's bad blood between the leafs and the sens? I know they are division rivals, but I'm hoping the Leafs will go the extra mile to continue Ottawa's historic slide. Talk about a team that sounds like it's tight.

Posted by: Hook | April 3, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks - i would like to see us try to re-sign all the new guys.

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Hahahah, consensus has it, even if we don't seem the most sure. :)

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

The real question with Pothier has been if he'll play ever again. That he's working out at all is a good sign thtat next year he'll be around in a uniform and not a suit.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 3, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Win Caps Win!!

Caps got a bit of help last night as PHI lost 4-2 to PIT and BOS lost 3-2 in a SO.

TOR could deal a huge blow if they beat OTT tonight.

THEN BOS plays OTT!!! WOW!!!

Posted by: CantMissKid | April 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

Depending on where you are in Austin. On Sixth Street there's an Irish pub..something Rileys...that has a bunch of TVs (atleast as of last August). Not sure if they show Hockey or not but good beer :). Also right across the street is Buffalo Billiards who might have hockey on. I can't remember the name of the sports bar, but there is one close by that area...though I wasn't too impressed with it.

Posted by: Yosh | April 3, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hook,

The Battle of Ontario is a vicious rivalry, and the Leafs would consider it to be a shining accomplishment if they were able to drag the Sens down into the cellar with them.

We don't hear about it too often because we don't get any Canada vs Canada games televised down here, which is a crying shame because they're a treat to watch.

Posted by: HolyOlie | April 3, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Nobody gets a Beemer today without talking about the Caps. And they get a discount if they hook me up with tickets for Saturday

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling that the once mighty Ottawa Senators will be the odd team out. Could you imagine that? Their season started going downhill when teh Caps beat thme 3 times in the span of two weeks.

Posted by: red dragon | April 3, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I may have this wrong, no warranties, expressed or implied, but these are the scenarios I have. I'm taking the leap and only looking at the 94 point options myself.

No points, 90

2) NYR lose 3
3) OTT gets 4) BOS gets 5) PHL gets

Four points, 94
1) CAR gets 2) NYR gets 3) OTT gets 4) BOS gets 5) PHL doesn't win both

Posted by: rhn | April 3, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

Isn't Yosh in the market for a new ride?

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, post messed up, here's the 94 point scenarios.

Four points, 94
1) CAR gets 2) NYR gets 3) OTT gets 4) BOS gets 5) PHL doesn't win both

Posted by: rhn | April 3, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yosh keeps talking about it, and I keep inviting him up.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

rhn,
That has to be the most confusing post ever!! :)

Ok kids, its after 5 here and I'm gone! every your afternoon dragging. I know mine did.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks great in preview, but I'm obviously lame:

1) CAR gets 2) NYR gets 3) OTT gets 4) BOS gets 5) PHL doesn't win both

Posted by: rhn | April 3, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Dear Hockey Gods,

We crushed the Canes with a lil' help from you and we sure appreciate it.
Now we need to be really prepared for lowly Bolts.
They are actually a very good team, but now they are lowly.
I am asking you to keep it that way tonight.

Let us stay focused, execute our game plan, minimize turnovers and penalties.
I also pray for lucky rebounds for us and not so lucky ones for Bolts.
Help us to play with total disregard for our bodies, block pucks, take hits and do everything we can to win this hockey game.

Chicks dig me and I am tall, but I haven't used my patented half slap shot to score the goal lately, so help me.
Allow me to deliver the bone-crushing panzer checks that would be played on all networks non-stop and named after big Papa 'Das Panzer' Schultz. I've never done it before, so help me.

Let me be there for the team like the team will be there for me.

Because I am Papa Schultz and I WILL STAND TALL for the team tonight.

Your Hockey Gods' lowest humble servant,

Big Papa 6'6" Schultz

Posted by: Papa Schultz | April 3, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@scott.......thanks and I will remember to bookmark this time

Posted by: Rich C | April 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Steve R

"Isn't Yosh in the market for a new ride?"

HAH! Too soon...too soon :) But yes, a discounted beemer would be very nice...

Posted by: Yosh | April 3, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Looks like if we get three points; we have an excellent chance of getting in. Go Caps! Go Toronto!

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@HolieOlie

Thanks for the link -- that's what I was looking for -- a statement from a leaf that they were purposefully out the wreck Ottawa's season. Looks like they will at least be playing hard. The way the lightening rolled over last night was pathetic.

Posted by: Hook | April 3, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@ HolyOlie

Thanks for the link to the article. I'd bet the farm the TML's see this game as thier playoffs and crush the free-falling Sens. This is such a great Hollywood story-line, with the Caps and Sens switching positions respecting the playoffs.

The Caps must punish the Bolts tonight for losing so miserably last night!!!

Go Maple Leafs, Go Isles, Go Habs (i'd rather see the Caps play the Habs in the first round)!

Tomorrow -- Go Devils, Go Isles, Go Florida, Go Boston (maybe -- depends if the Sens lose, which they will)!

Posted by: JIM | April 3, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

It is possible for the caps to play anyteam that makes the playoffs if they make it. Not sure how tarik starts writing his playoff preview, there is no way to tell who will play who.

Posted by: Rich C | April 3, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

One more try, and I promise to stop trying. Sorry for the mess. Scenarios to get into playoffs.

90 points

PHL gets less than 3 points in 2 games

94 points
CAR loses, 3rd seed
NYR get less than 2 points in 3 games
OTT gets less than 3 points in 2 games
BOS gets less than 3 points in 2 games
PHL doesn't win both games

Posted by: rhn | April 3, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Won't be able to catch the WashingtonPost Live from VC tonight, we'll be too busy PREGAMING!!!!!!

Posted by: Don-Ald | April 3, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

TSN has another Caps article with comments enabled....Comment, Comment, Comment, and Go Caps!

Posted by: Pete | April 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I wore my Caps hat to work today that a very awesome poster on this blog gave me as a gift :-), in support of our efforts tonight (yes they are our team).

Too bad I work with a bunch of geeks and nerds (geekier and nerdier than me) who have about zero interest in sports. So I am left to sit silently in my cube and jack myself up (probably a bad choice of words) in anticipation of tonights resumption of the chase for the playoffs. I'm giddy with excitement.

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | April 3, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I am wearing red and ready to chant "MVP!" every time Ovie scores tonight - who's with me?!? :-D

Yosh:
Don't worry, CT Caps Fan and I have your back RE: Olie stats ... ;-)

Leeguru:
Still working on it ... so if one of my sources pan out, do I get a Beemer?!? Ich liebe BMW!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | April 3, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Unless they serve beer at Washpost live, most of us wont be there at five.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Scenarios to get into playoffs.

Win the game tonight.
Win the game Saturday.

Or

Win tonight and beat Cats.

Or

Beat Bolts.
Put Cats in the hat.

Or

Beat Bolts and Cats

Or

Win the game vs. Lightning and deliver a beating to Florida Panthers.

I know there are ton of scenarios, but I need to stop now, my head is spinning.

Vive Huet!

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Basically if we win tonight and Ottawa loses tomorrow, we're in the playoffs and Saturday's game v. the Panthers doesn't really matter, so tonight is HUGE!

Posted by: alena | April 3, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:
The Caps will not make the playoffs.
The Caps will lose one if not both games.
Ovechkin will not have another point in the next two games
Maulkin will win the scoring title.
Semin will be blamed by the usual suspects as the reason for the Caps losing.
The only trophy awarded to the Caps is the Maurice Richard Trophy.
The usual suspects will continue with their delusions of hockey knowledge.

Posted by: RealityStrike. | April 3, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

If you get me tix, I will let you sit in the front seat of a Beemer. For Free!

@RealityStrike

You sound like Puckguru in disguise. Go away

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if it comes down to Sunday - if Pitt will put out a team against Philly

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

After more pondering I came up with genious scenario to get into playoffs:

Put Lightning in the bottle and Cats in the hat

Period.

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: honed | April 3, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

tonight we will UNLEASH THE FURY!!! and put the lightning in the bottle
put the train in the station
the car in the garage
the stuffing in the turkey
the turkey in the oven
and on saturday finally PUT THE CAT IN THE HAT!

GO CAPSSSS!

Everyone wear red tonight! I'll be there rooting our team right on into the (can't say it)!

Posted by: james | April 3, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

If we put Lightning in the bottle, but we won't put Cats in the hat, we'll miss the train that goes into station, and the reason to it would be because we couldn't be able to put cats in the hat.

So basically if we miss playoffs, it's because we didn't put cat in the hat.

But before that we gotta put Lighting in the bottle. We gotta...

Vive Huet.

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@leeguru
You sound like one of the usual suspects. But you don't have to go away, you are entertaining.

by the way, MY LORD, who is this puckguru you so despise?

Posted by: RealityStrike. | April 3, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Alena,

Sens are 2 points up with two games remaining. Tonight is huge if TML can take them. To keep things easy, I'll be happy if the Caps win out.

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do believe in common sense. Isn't it clearly in both Ottawa's and Boston's best interest to play for a regulation tie on Friday, and then fight during the 5 min ot and SO for the extra point. Caps hold tie-breaker over each team, so why take either team risk losing when a tie would guarantee 95 points (assuming the sens win tonight and bruins win sunday). I'm not saying they would explicitly have this agreement, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this scenario out and mail it in during regulation.

Posted by: Hook | April 3, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@alena

OTT would need to lose tonight(@Tor) AND tomorrow(Bos), then we win one of our last two and we're in.

Posted by: Sem-antics | April 3, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@ papa shultz

its time to teach Eminger your patened blazer, lazer, tazer half slap shot!

Posted by: james | April 3, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the screwed up grammar at 12:40 - "so why take either team risk losing when a tie" should read "so why would either team risk losing when a tie"

Posted by: Hook | April 3, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Reality Strike Is A Huge D-BAG !!!!

C

A

P

S

CAPS

CAPS

CAPS

LETS GO CAPS !!!

Posted by: Alex 4 MVP | April 3, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

seriously, this is the longest day ever.

Posted by: ns | April 3, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

An Eminger quote from Vogel's post today:

"The crowd Tuesday was unbelievable. Obviously I watched it, and I was in the crowd watching it. It was loud all game, not just when things were happening. It was loud all game. I was trying to talk to [Brian Pothier] during the game and we had to yell during the game. That's how loud it was.

"The support is great and it goes a long way. We feed off of it. The crowd, people might not think it sometimes, but that plays a big role in momentum swings."

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh

thanks for the heads up. Those are places on my list to call. Dave and Busters so far is the only one that has it, but I have not called the ones you mentioned yet.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@Hook

Wouldnt it be against the law to have a pre-set outcome to the game? In theory you are right though..They could sit there for 60 minutes and do nothing and assure them both a playoff spot.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

I hope you find something better than Dave&Busters...not that it's not a fun place or anything. Just that you're in Austin, which has some of the best bars in the entire country...don't waste that on a franchise y'no?

Posted by: Yosh | April 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@James

Thanks, James... Emmie was in my half slap shot clinic. He'll deliver because he has a chance.

We'll stand tall and we'll play our hearts out tonight for Mo and Washington Capitals fans.

Big Papa PanzerfaustSlapshot Schultz

Posted by: Big Papa Panzerfaust slap shot Schultz | April 3, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru,

How much of a discount? I need a 5 series. How about a couple grand off for some front row seats....

Posted by: old time hockey | April 3, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe some unneeded insight into my world, but the night we started this 5 game win streak, I pulled out my 1998 Eastern Conference Championship t-shirt to where while watching the game and as my night shirt. I have worn it every night since. Guess what I am wearing tonight?

Let's Go Caps! The only thing that can stink is my shirt and I am prepared to go the distance with it!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehocky,
I'll sell it to you at 500 over invoice.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Hook

I went to a Sens game in December (vs. Atlanta). The crowd was loudest when the announcers periodically displayed the Toronto game (vs. Montreal) on the big screen. Montreal was killing Toronto and the Sens crowd loved it. So I think that it is a pretty big rivalry...

Posted by: Jen | April 3, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@anonymous at 12:50

I'm not talking about anything that explicit -- clearly they couldn't just sit there, and I don't think they'd be stupid enough to talk about an actual agreement (because of the serious legal penalties). But we all have seen games where, during the last 10 minutes, teams clearly start playing for a tie. Why wouldn't the bruins and sens just do that for the full 60.

Posted by: Hook | April 3, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@ big papa panzer beast slap shot schultz

thats what i like to hear! How about both of you score tonight to lead the caps to victory! Add that with A.O.'s brilliant half turnaround twist slapper and all i have to say is look out HALPIE!

Posted by: james | April 3, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll be the highest Caps fan tonite, literally, as I'll be on a JetBlue flight from Orlando to Dulles listening on the XM-Radio feed.

LETS GO CAPS!!

Posted by: kthhken | April 3, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

PANZER: RELEASE THE HALF SLAPSHOT DESTRUCTION! U R TOO BIG AND POWERFUL FOR THE BOLTS! ALL HAIL PAPA "BIG DADDY" SCHULTZ!

Posted by: FLASH | April 3, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan,

Never mess with a streak!

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Question:

Since Ottawa plays Boston, and we have the tiebreaker on both assuming we win out, don't we control our own destiny if that game does not go into OT??

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Not on my life!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: honed | April 3, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@ papa paanzer schultzy

Make sure your ready to bury those pain in the A** french canadiens with your amazing body checking abilities! I have faith in your 6 foot 6 ness!

Posted by: #1CapsFan | April 3, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@ 1:04

Depends on what happens tonight and tomorrow. If Ott and Bost lose first, then yes, but then again, that is not controlling our own destiny nomatter. We still have to watch another outcome to determine our fate.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Excitement all around..

With the Caps playing like a team of destiny under BB, and GMGM finally doing something positive with the team.. does anyone else just feel giddy at the prospect of fielding an amazing team next year?

I mean, for the first time in a long time, I think we can enter the season from day 1 without a bunch of question marks.

Yes, we need to make some signings.. but with what we have shown, there is no good reason not to be able to get all the signatures. Heres to hoping GMGM keeps his streak alive, and doesn't regress to his pre-lockout brain-farts.

Beat the Bolts!!!

PS - RealityStrike, great job exhibiting your own "hockey knowledge" you toolbag. Thanks for posting, and I love your profile:

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@1:04

Yes, as long as Boston @ Ottawa ends in regulation and we win tonight, then we control our own destiny on Saturday.

Posted by: Dinger | April 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The only two things you need to know today:

GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO

Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: 3VAFans | April 3, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

CT Caps:

I hear what you are saying but here's what I think, correct me if Im wrong....

If we win out,

and either Carolina, Boston, Ottawa, or Philly loses just ONE game in regulation (7 chances for that to happen)

... then we would make the playoffs right?

So if Boston and Ottawa play, then we just root for that not to go to OT, if all other scenarios tonight fail

Posted by: Portis | April 3, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Of course, I preface all of this by stating the obvious fact that the Capitals need to take care of their own business first.

But the remaining schedule for the 5-8 seeds is not kind.

Rangers (93 points, 41 wins) have a home-and-home against the Islanders and finish on the road against Jersey. That's back-to-back games and three games in four nights.

Senators (92, 42) play back-to-back, first at rival Toronto and then at home against Boston.

Bruins (92, 40) also have consecutive games, first at Ottawa, then at home against Buffalo.

Flyers (91, 41) face division-winners Jersey and Pittsburgh.

The Capitals (90, 41) get Tampa Bay tonight, then the Panthers, who will be playing their second game in as many nights.

Carolina (92, 43) meanwhile, faces a tough Panthers team (albeit at home, where they have been very good) and will be playing their third game in four nights.

I know it's all been said before, and scenarios are nearly impossible to list thoroughly because of the possibility of three-point games. Let's just say I'm glad I have Center Ice.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 3, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The Caps just have to give 110%... all of them. If just 50% of the Caps give 100% and 50% give 75% than the team only give about 85%.

We all need to give 110% although no one can give 110% because 100% is the most you can give.

But if 50% give 110% and 50% give 100% than we'll win 100% of the games 100% of the times!!!

AND FOR GODSAKES PUT THE LIGHTNING IN THE BOTTLE AND FINISH BY PUTTING THE CATS IN THE HAT

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: MetalCap | April 3, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

1) Caps win out

2) No 3 point games

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

honed...nice post!, and way to go DC FURY!!

honk honk honk!
A. OV.!
honk honk honk!
M.V.P!

LETS GO CAPS!!

Posted by: fullright | April 3, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@RealityStrike,

You are a d**che.

The only valid points are the first, with there being a good chance we won't make it. And possibly being half right about your second point. I don't see this team losing both games given their magnitude, the competition and the veteran leadership on this team (Fedorov). But losing one is certainly a possibility and would no doubt probably bring things to a halt.

The rest of what you wrote was pure troll/Pens fan drivel. Go back to your own boards, while wearing your toddler-sized Cindy Criesby jersey and Pens toddler socks. Can't even spell "Malkin" correctly, you dope. Be gone!

-----

You blathered:

"Prediction:
The Caps will not make the playoffs.
The Caps will lose one if not both games.
Ovechkin will not have another point in the next two games
Maulkin will win the scoring title.
Semin will be blamed by the usual suspects as the reason for the Caps losing.
The only trophy awarded to the Caps is the Maurice Richard Trophy.
The usual suspects will continue with their delusions of hockey knowledge."

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | April 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Harry

"Wow - Pothier really must of got his bell rung. I hope there is no long term health concerns with him."

Yeah ... if I recall correctly, doesn't he have a bad track record with concussions? They can really sideline a guy and you can never take them too seriously. Fingers crossed that he'll be available next season. He's one of the best blue liners the caps have, and they have some splendid ones now (which is like a breath of fresh air in our nation's capital, :D )

Posted by: pricklypanda | April 3, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@Hook

The reason is because that teams who play for a tie (i.e., play not to lose) always lose. you better beleive that if it is tied with 5 mins left, then they will both play to make it to OT, but any earlier in the game than that, they'd be stupid not to give it everything they've got.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@fricknoutstandin,

That was a great picture of Malkin, where did you find it?

Posted by: Steve R | April 3, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

You can't play for a tie from the beginning of a hockey game. Remember October and November for the Caps? That is exactly what the problems were. Don't try too hard to score, we might let one in.

Yes, you can play for a tie with less than 7 minutes left, but before that it is not in the realm of common sense. ESPECIALLY when you look at the games being played. The Leafs would love nothing more than taking down the "mighty" Sens and hitting golf balls at each other in a week.

Posted by: RobMonroe | April 3, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps Go aka Go Skins Go:
I LIKE IT!!! Plus it looks like you have your priorities in order ... ;-)

Leeguru:
Don't feed the trolls ...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Slap Shot transcript is here for all you fans http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/slap-shot-script-hockey-movie.html

You're gonna eyeball the new Washington Caps. Well, ladies and gentlemen, this has all the earmarks of a hockey classic. The championship confrontation between the Tampa Bay Lighting... Here they come!

The rags-to-riches, Cinderella contenders of the Southeast Division, the Caps!

Let's go, Caps! Let's go, Caps! Let's go, Caps!

Let's go, Caps! Let's go, Caps! Let's go, Caps!

Let's go, Caps! Let's go, Caps! Let's go, Caps!

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"My wife and I talk about the options, but I don't think want to think too much about it," Huet said. "I haven't talked to my agent about it in a long time, and there is no rush. I want to make sure I am focused on the next game and not a contract."

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh

I couldn't agree more. D&B is the absolute last resort. I THINK i found another bar that has Center Ice but they don't open until 4. This one is down in the 6th street area with the other 1 billion bars, so even if this bar stinks, we'll be close to some other cool places for after the game.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Semin: GMGM, who own the Caps?
GMGM: Owns. Owns.

Semin: Owns. Owns.
GMGM: I don't know.

Semin: Thanks.

Fedorov: OK. What?
Semin: He don't know.

Fedorov: How'd you ask?
Semin: I say "Who own the Caps?"

Fedorov: What did he say?
Semin: Owns. Owns.

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve R

lol @ Malkin comment. I really have nothing against the kid though, and god knows i'd love nothing more then to have him in a Caps uniform. Now, trying to picture Cindy in a caps uniform would make my stomach churn (like it did seeing Jagr). I know it's not popular to root for injuries.... but I do get giddy when I think of the possibilities of a round 1 playoff game in Pitt, when Ovie just pummels the princess and her lame leg into the boards.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 3, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Schultz: Hey, Emmie?
Emmie: Yeah?

Schultz: I think I'm gonna change my name.
Emmie: Oh, yeah?

Schultz: Yeah. Papa 'Killer' Schultz

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@Alex 4 MVP
Good for you. You can spell CAPS. You will finally advance to the first grade, eh?

@freaknoutstandin
You are welcome. That picture of your dad is hilarious, you look just like him.

@pothier's Thumb
Einstein, can you spell "typo"? Good. Do you know its meaning?
Einstein, is that the best insult you can muster? You must be in the same Kinder class with the two retards above.

Posted by: realityStrike. | April 3, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

My husband and I were in Austin a few weeks ago and watched a Caps game at a bar in South Austin: Locker Room Sports Bar, 629 W Ben White Blvd, Austin, TX 78745, (512) 444-9329, www.lockerroomsportsbar.net. They have DirectTV and we sat at the bar in front of one of several TVs - the bartender handed us a remote control and let us select what we wanted!!

Posted by: rvan64 | April 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

OldTimeHockey

Have you considered my proposal?

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone check out USAToday's hockey poll? Which Eastern team is most deserving of a playoff spot, that Caps have a true majority over the other three teams.

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | April 3, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Caps recent theme song (other than journey?)

Posted by: Theme Song | April 3, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Funny that "Maulkin" is the only word that he spelt wrong.... And that stupid "u" is right next to the "a" and the "l" on the keyboard. I always spelt "mault" liquor wrong.

Hey Crysby, I know you locked up the division last night but we are still unimpressed.

By the way, how many Calder trophies have you won? Cause Ov's about to pick up alot of hardware.....

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 3, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Smells like troll in here. Oh.. that's why. Someone took a giant realityStrike and didn't flush.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 3, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@ rvan64

Thanks! I'll add that one to my list. So far I also found "the third base" and "ringers" and possibly "aussies". The girl who answered the phone at Aussie's said they played hockey as recently as last night but the manager might have cancelled it because he's "crazy like that".

I'm gonna look up locker room now. Thanks again

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru,

Sorry, working. Very tempting. Let me check with the wife who was looking forward to the game.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 3, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

OV's comments about the crowd

"I hope the next game will be the same," Ovechkin said, "because we need it."

Lets Go Caps Fans!

Posted by: AP | April 3, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Do if we win out, and the OTT/BOS game is decided in regulation, we're in?

Posted by: C-Way | April 3, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

C-Way, according to TSN, and most other calculations, yes.

Many other scenarios where we can get in, but the one you describe is one of the strong ones. The way Boston plays can be messy though, they clog like crazy so if Ottawa doesn't stomp them early, and it's close, it could be a tie.

Fingers crossed, GO CAPS!

Posted by: GJ | April 3, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Yet another feature from NHL.com. This time it's Fed's leadership and how it's helping our boys. Greenie should be happy...

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Correct C-way. If we win out, it's about 98% chance we are in. Even if Ott/Bos goes beyond regulation, we are in if Carolina or Philly, Ottawa, or Boston loses any of their remaining games.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 3, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

WHO CAN CLINCH TONIGHT?
EASTERN CONFERENCE
#1 Pittsburgh Penguins (idle) can clinch the Eastern Conference's #1 seed tonight:
* If Montreal gets no points against Buffalo.

#3 Carolina Hurricanes (idle) can clinch the Southeast Division tonight:
* If Washington gets no points against Tampa Bay.

#4 New Jersey Devils (idle) can clinch the Eastern Conference's #4 seed tonight:
* If NY Rangers get no points against NY Islanders.

#5 New York Rangers can clinch an Eastern Conference playoff berth tonight:
* If they beat NY Islanders.
or
* If they get one point against NY Islanders and Washington gets one point against Tampa Bay.
or
* If Washington gets no points against Tampa Bay.

#6 Ottawa Senators can clinch an Eastern Conference playoff berth tonight:
* If they beat Toronto and Washington gets one or no points against Tampa Bay.
or
* If they get one point against Toronto and Washington gets no points against Tampa Bay.

WESTERN CONFERENCE
#1 Detroit Red Wings can clinch the Presidents' Trophy tonight:
* If they get at least one point against Columbus.
or
* If San Jose gets one or no points against Los Angeles.

#3 Minnesota Wild can clinch the Northwest Division tonight:
* If they beat Calgary.

#4 Anaheim Ducks (idle) can clinch the Western Conference's #4 seed tonight:
* If Dallas gets no points against Phoenix.

#7 Calgary Flames can clinch a Western Conference playoff berth tonight:
* If they get at least one point against Minnesota.
or
* If Nashville gets no points against St. Louis.
or
* If Vancouver gets one or no points against Edmonton.

#8 Nashville Predators can clinch a Western Conference playoff berth tonight:
* If they beat St. Louis and Vancouver gets one or no points against Edmonton.

Posted by: Who Can Clinch? | April 3, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Barry "business in the front-party in the back" Melrose is on ESPN radio saying Ovechkin doesn't deserve MVP until he "wins something." i.e. make the playoffs. Douche.

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

That Ovechkin guy...he's pretty good:

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 3, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I know we are all gagging at having to cheer on the Pens, but Crosby's second goal was pretty sweet. Gotta give the devil his due.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@Scott in Shaw

I was waiting for that kind of info...

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Melrose will have a chat on ESPN @ 3pm... furthering his buffoonery I'm sure.

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

I completely agree. I've seen the replay a dozen times now. It didn't look special until I saw it from the front in slow-mo. Amazing stuff.

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@fealtyStrike,

Fealty because Criesby is obviously your lord and you "serve" him. Or is it "Maulkin"? Pens troll.

I used the term "d**che" because you are no doubt on mommy and daddy's computer. And I wouldn't want them to see such language that might get you booted off the internet. On second thought, that would be better. You are a giant DOUCHEBAG.

Its not merely typos either. Your gibberish and lack of proper grammar/sentence structure ("those the use of that word makes you go....") clearly shows that one or more of the following likely scenarios applies to you:

1)you are a child
2)you are drunk
3)you are simply a DOUCHEBAG

Option #3 seems most likely, though all are potentially applicable.

I am done with you. Run along now, little one. The adults here have grown weary of you.

-------

Your continuous chain of nonsense:

"@pothier's Thumb
Einstein, can you spell "typo"? Good. Do you know its meaning?

And what is with the word "d**he"? Those the use of that word makes you go heee heee heee?"

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | April 3, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sombrero Guy
(30 years later)

You say you're going to be here in Austin watching the Caps game tonight?

I don't know how old your list is, but Ringers recently closed for IRS problems. It was probably high on the list.

I would try 3rd Base or the Tavern (Stars fans watch there) downtown. Both places I would arrive on-time or slightly early to stake your game.
Dave and Busters up north always gives me some tiny tv somewhere to watch the Caps.

I am playing at a friend's open mic on Congress at 8:30 (CST) so I probably will only watch the first half of the game at home and then check on my phone for updates.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 3, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Dolan, DC: How close are the Caps to making the post-season? Whats the likeliest match-up?

SportsNation Barry Melrose: (3:04 PM ET ) The Caps need favors. Carolina won last night, Boston got a point, and they have two games left. They need to win them both and have Philly or Ottawa lose twice, or Boston to lose once. But you gotta think Washington is going to win their last two against Florida and Tampa Bay.

I can't believe this huy gets paid by anybody for Hockey intelligence....

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

This day cannot end soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dave | April 3, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Sundin's not playing tonight.

Posted by: Hook | April 3, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

None of my red clothes are clean.

I am changing it to a WHITE OUT!!! Spread the word!!

Posted by: Ted Leonsis | April 3, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Sundin is not playing again this season. Doesn't matter too much. If the Leafs want to win, they will have to play like it. Sundin or not, they will need to play inspired to beat Ottawa.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 3, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@"Ted Leonsis"

I don't know...you have special watches you wear for hockey games, I'd think your butler would have your clothes ready for you. Of course, if you were a real hockey fan you'd never wash them for fear the luck would wash out along with the mustard spot and beer stains.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

And if you are looking for some good barbecue (like Austin has any) check out Uncle Billy's: http://www.unclebillysaustin.com/. Ask for Holly and tell her that Aunt Robin sent you!!

Posted by: rvan64 | April 3, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Jschon,

I agree. Barry Melrose may quite possibly be as big of a douche as this "realitysrikes" person.

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | April 3, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

RACHEL NY: All we hear about is the young guns in Pitt, Chicago, Phoenix, Washington. HOW BOUT THEM RANGERS? Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes, Staal, and Girardi have played MASSIVE roles for the Rangers, how do you evaluate their talent?

SportsNation Barry Melrose: (3:22 PM ET ) They have played very well, but I don't think you can compare their years with players like Cain and Toews. I think they're all good NHL players, but I don't know if any Ranger players will be stars. That's probably the difference there.

Look at how he spelled Kane.

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Folks folks, lets not let the negative vibes get to us, facts remain the same, big night tonight for our caps, and we need to bring the noise.

Posted by: AP | April 3, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Geez, leave the blog to the boys and all hell breaks loose...

Where are all the other Caps chicks today? The balance of the blog must be restored!

Posted by: Jill | April 3, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

No customers makes this day drag!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@Austin Steve

CRAP! Ringers was high on the list, and the closest to the hotel I am staying in. Sounds like Third base is the place. Rhyming untintentional.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Ken Campbell is on XM defending his rankings of GM's. GMGM is #21, and Campbell claims that GMGM could lose his job if the caps don't make the playoffs! What a tool!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

3:34 was posted by me

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

And now he's saying that GMGM can move in to the top 5 next season if the team keeps tracking the way it is.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

OK. To those with your futile attempts of insulting me,
I love you for your witless platitudes, for your supernatural ability to bore, for their luxuriant fertility of imagination, you have neither the capacity nor the wit for it.

Give it up and re-read my post.
First word: PREDICTION. You are welcome to disagree without showing your witless behavior.

I am a CAPS FAN, and I do hope my prediction is wrong, but I stand by it.

As for the trophies, I am sure that is one that is making you act like morons, remember the world of Hockey does not revolve around OV or the CAPS. Thus, the REALITY part of my name.

Douche? Come on, read or at the very least buy a dictionary.

Posted by: realityStrike. | April 3, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

From my quote last month

"Let the Russian Rampage Rule"

Posted by: billd | April 3, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

3rd B is a good sports bar, but it can be a little tricky to see, we don't want you looping around highways 10 times in rush hour:

-Take 6th street towards Mopac ("Loop 1").
-Right at the time the road splits apart, on the left is what looks like a multi-story parking garage
- drive in there, the first floor is retail.
-3rd base is nice, new-ish, popular, and they have lots of tv's.

* I would double-check which package is carrying the game and make sure they have that package *

(D&B never fails in a pinch, and you can abuse Marie, Bonnie Colleen, Leah, Juan, and company all game if it is slow)

Posted by: austinsteve | April 3, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@ realityStrike

You are not a true Caps fan and if you are, you are officially disowned from Caps Nation. Turn in your negative attitude and walk on out. We have no room for it.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@realitystrike

Seriously, what is your issue?

Is there a deeper, underlying issue with you?
Are you crying for help?
How can we assist?

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@ RealityStrike -

I have a question about your prediction that Malkin will win the scoring title. Do you truly believe that Malkin will have 5 or more points in Pittsburgh's one remaining game, and Ovie will be held pointless in the Caps' final two?

'Cause the way I see it, that's the only way it could happen.

Posted by: Jill | April 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Caps Nation?

barf.

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I know, said out of anger.

What can we use?

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru!
No customers? Make some calls!!!!!

Posted by: dave | April 3, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

A finance manager makes no calls! I don't even like people.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: herdfan | April 3, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

Which hotel are you at? I spend a couple of weeks there every year for work. It's one of my top 2 or 3 American cities.

Posted by: Yosh | April 3, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru

"I don't even like people"

Best line of the day...though I tend to have that same attitude.

Posted by: Yosh | April 3, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@Jill - I'm here, but keeping my mouth shut today or someone might attack me with their computer keys - too much testosterone for me!
Big night - LET'S GO CAPS! That is my focus, plus there has been some really pointless and boring dialogue this afternoon!

Posted by: Greenie | April 3, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"...there has been some really pointless and boring dialogue this afternoon!"

And that's different from any other day how? ;-)

Posted by: Jill | April 3, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyways, lets get back to the issue at hand. Beating the Lightning!!!! I watched the Canes/TB game last night and it was absolutely horrible hockey. Vinny is done there scuttlebutting (is that a word/don't know but you get my point) the puck to the net. St Louis and Halpy look like the only 2 guys playing down there...

Well hopefully everyone gets to make it out and the Caps get us a big win tonight.

So lets go Caps!!!!

HIP.......HIP......... (Now you say the last name of our starting goalie :)

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 3, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

How about "Shoot your Shot" by Ugly Duckling as the theme song for Alex? Maybe too old school hip-hop for some!

Just so I know, will the crowd in the VC be kept up to date with the TOR/OTT game by the announcer or will it be a case of individual's getting text messages etc?

Nothing better at a football game when, although nothing is happening in your game, a roar goes up. Then the news spreads that a rival is losing. Lets hope that there are "Ottawa is losing" cheers tonight.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Dave, mauree, Lee, CT, TN, JMU and all else who will be watching from a far ... CHEER SO LOUDLY THAT WE CAN HEAR YOU AT THE VC!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | April 3, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Thats more like it. Oh Roger, Scuttlebut means a lot of things to different people, especialy those in the Navy and Marine Corps.

Posted by: AP | April 3, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Boo, et al, you always have my cheers. Loud and clear.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh
I am in the Sheraton on 11th street (formerly the marriot). Didn't have much time to enjoy the city yesterday, but the girlfriend and I are going out to watch the game, then out to bar hop a bit afterwards. We're going to Antone's for a concert tomorrow night.

@AustinSteve

Thanks for the heads up. I got an e-mail confirmation back from the 3rd base manager that they do have it so I think thats where I am headed to start. We're cabbing everywhere so finding it (hopefully) won't be an issue.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd personally like to hear Alex come out to Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys, that or some crazy Russian metal.

Posted by: AP | April 3, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan

Good question. I just hope that "Capital Punishment" makes a triumphant return next season. :)

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@Dave UK

Probably not by the rink announcer but there are screens up in the corners of the Booth that show the out-of-town scores.

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

Don't worry abut me, I will be in full voice like Tuesday, but something tells me you all at the game will not be able to hear yourselves speak.

Only positive vibes for the rest of the day people! The Caps are En Fuego and we are going to burn the Lightning!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Or how about this for songs, after we get into the playoffs we play hate to say I told you so by the hives, we already use one of their songs...

Posted by: AP | April 3, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Let me hear ya'll all the way down here in SW VA- be loud; very loud.

Posted by: Hew | April 3, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

you'll always have my screams and loud cheers too. My neighbors not very happy about it.

2.5 more hours - COME ON BOYS!!!

Posted by: mauree | April 3, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this because it'll probably anger everyone on here...but 'hip hip huet' just seems unbelievably gay to me. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I hate it.

Posted by: Yosh | April 3, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Yosh, most cheers are pretty gay, unless they are English soccer cheers.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

Substitute the word "gay" with "faggy"...

more politically correct.

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I have a fear that our boyz tonight might underestimate Boltz.

Discuss.

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@ King Huet

They are En Fuego and will not underestimate anyone. No more negativety. Just get pumped up!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 3, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Jschon, I wouldn't want anyone to confuse it with a cigarrette.

King Huet, in the past, I would tend to agree with you. But I think right now the boys have the right mix of youthfull exhuberance and veteran stability to focus on this game. They should come out as pumped as they did on Tuesday

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"hip hip huet" doesn't really work when you pronounce his name correctly either ... just saying

Posted by: pricklypanda | April 3, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

reality strike = mike wise?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

For those of you talking about Ovechkin's theme song, Jupe from the message boards made one.

warning: explicit lyrics

Musicly its not my cup of tea but I have to give a fellow caps fan credit for taking the time.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Wise doesn't have the stones to post or even read this blog

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

This is what I want to hear.

But Tuesday was big, Canes himiliamted us twice before. I wanted blood Tuesday

And today... lowly Boltz... yawn... this is what I am afraid of. They can get too polite with them... and then Martie the Lil will strike... scary...

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

That's where the vets come in.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Hi,
Don't post often, but I will read through them.

I promised my 4 yr old - if the caps make the playoffs, I will take him to a playoff game. He started hollerin' LET'S GO CAPS!! (Train up a child in the way he should go... hehe)

Anyway, I went to 2 games the last time the Caps were in the playoffs (Eagles Nest) and LOVED IT. COME ON CAPS!!!

Matt

Posted by: Matt | April 3, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The main thing tonight is to strike first and trap 'em. I know it sounds boring.

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

What's Washington Post Live, and is there a link for me to listen on the net?

Posted by: Go Caps from LA | April 3, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy and austinsteve,

Where were you guys last week when I had to watch the caps/canes online because I was stuck at the Sheraton on 11th in Austin?? I didn't even imagine someboy would be showing the game (NHL's not really that popular, especially in a southern city, completely out of market game, etc.). Needless to say, I am an idiot. But I am glad to know of the bars in case I have to go back for work... when the regular season starts back up... next year... or maybe if there are playoff games not broadcast nationally. Are all playoff games broadcast nationally?

Go Caps!

Posted by: TripDonkeys | April 3, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

OK guys, you were kind enough to help out the guy in Austin. Anybody know where a Caps' fan in Myrtle Beach can catch THE game??
Many thanks...

Posted by: caps fan in SC | April 3, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I know of 3 different Hooters in Myrtle Beach....

Posted by: Leeguru | April 3, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I know of 3 different Hooters in Myrtle Beach....

Is that were they filmed Total Recall? :)

Posted by: keef | April 3, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

(Sombrero Guy > FYI, the best music is not on 6th street. I'd walk down Red River - connects to 6th. The further you go the better the music - in general)

So anyway, this is a Go Caps kinda day isn't it? :)
I'm getting tempted to just say screw open mic and watch the whole game. I may do that if it's close and it comes time to leave.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 3, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

C'mom, ignore the morons.

I'll be nine hours from Verizon Center tonight ... but I will be cheering loudly and of course, WEARING RED! :)

(And rooting for Toronto too!)

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | April 3, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

Getting to Third Base is always a good deal! Specially in a strange town.

OOOHHHH!!! You mean there's a bar CALLED Third Base! :)

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

p.s. - I work at TRS which is directly across the street from that Sheraton (11th). Like most mornings, I got my Starbucks on the first floor of that hotel on the way to work today

Posted by: austinsteve | April 3, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@TripDonkeys

Haha wish I could have helped you man. if its any consolation, I spent about 3 hours today researching, calling, and getting laughed at by most bars. I think I have called 36 different bars today and only found 4 that said they have the NHL center ice package.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 3, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Jill, Greenie, Boo,
I'm here to help balance out the testosterone! Sorry for being late, I had to *gulp* go shopping with a friend. Watching WaPo and the game at a friends' house. Too far to DC to catch the game at a bar or VC. I still think the bobble-head is too pretty to be Ovie. Looks too much like Cindy for my taste. I've got my red shirt on, and I will be ticking neighbors off left and right, top and bottom, yelling. I'm so nervous I'm nauseous and can't wait until game time!
Less than two hours!

Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 3, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

there's a link on the top of the Washingtonpost.com/sports page.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@TripDonkeys

I must have missed it. I can only read on days where I can be ADD and check quickly between tasks.

Does CapsInsider put all you foreign Caps fans in the same hotel here in Austin or what?!

Maybe Tarik will get the Post to procure me a snazzy Capitals tour shuttle. When I get out of work I can pick everybody up and take them to the secret places you can see Caps hockey in Texas.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 3, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@Jill
Thanks for not attacking. Very good questions you pose. Yes I do think that OV could go without a point in the remaining two games, although, I hope I am wrong. But more important, you brought to my attention the fact that Pittsburgh has only one game left, and my prediction for "MALKIN" (Excuse me for a second Jill. Morons did I spell that right?) was based on that team having two games. So to answer your question, it is very unlikely, although not impossible for him to have the 5 points.

@to the guy with his extensive vocabulary of "DOUCHEBAG" at the very least learn to spell it properly: First word: douche second word: bag.
Pat yourself on the back; yes, you caught my mistakes. I meant to say, "Does" instead of "those" - I call it writing with an accent, you see, English is not even my second language, but I see that I can give you some lessons.
You are a witless twit. Give it up.

@JSchon
What is my issue, you ask?
I don't know what you mean. I posted a prediction that apparently was disagreeable with some witless people who in turn started attacking me. I am just responding in kind.
Notice that Jill responded as a civilized a person can be and I responded in kind to her.
What is your issue with that?

Posted by: RealityStrike. | April 3, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@realitystrike

I just thought you might looking for attention... thats it...

You can do it anyway you'd like I suppose.

Negativity doesnt get you anywhere here except for some right back at you.

Posted by: JSchon | April 3, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@CT CAPS FAN
What is a true Caps fan? I don't know you might be right. I do cheer for the Caps more than any other team in any sport. But that does not mean that I am naive, stupid, and blind. My post was a prediction of what I think is in going to happen, it is NOT a wish that it happens. I hope I am totally wrong.

What is a Cap Nation? Hell, I don't want to be owned by anyone or anything. Thank you for disowning me. Use my room for that guy that from now on will be known as the DOUCHEBAG - I tried calling him Einstein but he prefers DOUCHEBAG.

I am sorry my prediction is giving you the impression that I have a negative attitude toward the Caps. I think the CAPS are by far one of the best teams. Again. Lets hope that I am wrong.

Posted by: realityStrike. | April 3, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

OOOPPS! I am sorry DOUCHEBAG, I meant to put a question mark instead of a period in my last post. Of course, you know where, so I would not insult you by giving you the location.

Posted by: realityStrike. | April 3, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

let's go craps

Posted by: mr bill | April 3, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

I also thought the bobblehead looked more like Cindy than Ovie.

Posted by: Joe B | April 3, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

go craps happy turdmas 4-4-2008

Posted by: mr bill | April 3, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

NHL Center Ice Question:

Does anyone know if the center ice package online has HD feed? The Comcast ordinary feed kind of sucks. (Assume there is an HD feed for the game in question, of course.)

If so, I was thinking I would 86 center ice next season and just use the DVI connection to my LCD to watch games off my lap top.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 4, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse