Motzko Recalled; Tonight's Lineup

Forward Joe Motzko has been recalled from the Bears and is expected to join the Caps for tonight's game in Buffalo. There is no corresponding move because the team has a spot available on the roster after sending down defenseman Jeff Schultz last week.

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Clark
Backstrom-Nylander-Pettinger
Fleischmann-Laich-Motzko
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Johnson in net; the defensive pairings remains the same.

Update:If you are having trouble finding tonight's game on CSN+, pulg in your ZIP here.

Cox subscribers in Fairfax, though, are out of luck. But you probably already knew that.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 13, 2007; 4:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineup Changes Coming
Next: No Practice Today For Caps

Comments

none of that matters anymore. The Caps won't be 82-0.

Posted by: Lee | October 13, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

joe motzko is playing in the fifth gam of the season. so much for our new and improved depth. what the hell is that

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, Joe Motzko has put up some points in the AHL. I must admit I've only seen him play once - for the Syracuse Crunch. That night, he scored two against the now defunct Cleveland AHL club.

At any rate, I imagine Joe will be playing on the energy line tonight. Let me know how he does guys.

Posted by: Terptwin | October 13, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

No Borque?!?!??? *angry face*

Posted by: Trevor | October 13, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I have just spent a fruitless 25 minutes with FIOS-TV. It appears that the game on "CSN Plus" whatever that is will not be carried by FIOS in DC Metro Area. Oh will, DC United is not that bad to watch.

Posted by: A Hardwick | October 13, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

for fios try channel 1. fios tv?

Posted by: cd | October 13, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The comcast website has it on Channel 1 on Fios.

Posted by: Melissa | October 13, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

yea that is really wierd that they wouldn't have sutherby at all with gordo and semin being out...i can totally see flash being scratched but sutherby? so wierd...Tarik-any thoughts?

Posted by: mike s | October 13, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

MetroCast in St. Mary's County also doesn't have CSN+. We need to cut down some trees so we can get Direct TV.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

Any word on Semin? Ho much longer will he be about? I think the team misses him more than we think!

Posted by: Vijay | October 13, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

What is up with Sutherby? Are they ever going to play him or are they getting ready to trade him? I feel bad for the guy if they aren't going to let him play in the games they should trade him to a team that will play him. I really like him!

Posted by: Katie | October 13, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

For those who don't have CSN+, the game will be re-broadcast on the main CSN channel at 10:30pm tonight.

Posted by: cml | October 13, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculous. Lucky to win on the Island. Wildly outshot in all three games.

Where in the hell is our defensive effort? Everyone seems faster than us.

Posted by: This trip through NY is embarassing | October 13, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

this is f-ing disgusting and pathetic. i just want to break sh#t

Posted by: f bomb | October 13, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Watching this team disintegrate after 3 games is pathetic. No focus, stupid on-going penalties, few shots on goal. I think we all drank too much Teddie Kool Aid.
No more for me. This team will be lucky to be .500 at the end of the season.
Playoffs?? Ha! That is a joke.

Posted by: kenhockey | October 13, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess that answers my question about how the team would respond. That second period was probably the most embarrassing period of hockey I've ever seen.

Is it too early to say that Hanlon's job is on the line? This team has a boatload more offensive talent than last year and they actually look worse.

Posted by: zamboni | October 13, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

We need a healthy Boyd Gordon to captain the Power Play kill. We also need Alexander the Very Good to return to give us that added skill upfront.

Posted by: Terptwin | October 13, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess when they said change was coming they meant for the first few games only! What is going on? Hopefully they can come back this period

Posted by: disillusioned | October 13, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm insanely sick to my stomach. This team couldn't put a shot on goal if they didn't have opponents in front of them. Would someone please send the memo to Nylander that dangling with the puck doesn't put points on the board....unless you cough it up to the other team! This is PATHETIC. Allowing 4 goals in 4 minutes when we went 3 games allowing only 2 goals?!?!?! Hell, if we're going to have to endure this garbage again this season then I suggest we trade the "BIG 3" free agents and just bring up more of the Hershey Bears so we can watch them get drilled night in and night out.

Oh and by the way, if GMGM and Teddy Bear think that the two Alex's are going to resign with this lackluster team they are out of their mind.

Maybe these analysts from ESPN and CNNSI and TSN really know what their doing when they make their predictions because they have hit the Capitals right on the money.

Great, another rediculous penalty. Here's another memo for the Capitals to read....YOU DON'T GET POINTS BY TAKING PENALTIES!! REMOVE YOUR HEADS FROM THE BUNS AND START TO PLAY SOME HOCKEY!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Posted by: Mitch | October 13, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

First rule of hockey: SHOOT THE F'ING PUCK

Jesus Christ.

"how does sutherby feel about the team calling up MOTZKO! rather than have him play again"

Who gives a *#*#*#.

Posted by: keef | October 13, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm frustrated like the rest of you, but you've gotta calm down a little bit. We know the talent's there. It's just not coming together - they need to get back into team mode.

For the first two games it seemed like everyone was on the same page and now it's a disaster.

Posted by: keef | October 13, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope the Fan Club got some good wings up there in Buffalo because they certainly got a pile of mush for a hockey game.

Yes, the first rule of hockey is Shoot The Puck. There is a certain person still on the free agent list who was the most accurate shooter in Capitals history. He bight be getting up in age, but I can tell you that PETER BONDRA would play his guts out every single night if he were back in a Capitals uniform. With that said, I hereby start the "Bring Back Bondra" petition.

Heck, we might as well if we're calling up a no name guy called Motzko to replace a proven 4th line checker in Sutherby. Talk about a slap in the face and a shot below the belt. By the way, don't throw this garbage back saying that Motzko won a Stanley Cup last year. Yeah, he was part of the team, but how many games did he play in? There's a difference.

Hey guess what, another penalty to the Caps, both Jurcina and Bradley in the box. Next Thursday Hanlon should only dress three players and a goalie because that's all we seem to use here recently.

Man, this is making me drink and the more I drink the funnier the game becomes!!!!!!

Posted by: Mitch | October 13, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it was ugly. Even the best teams have a few games like these during an 82 game season. Just means they're more likely to win back home.

Posted by: Dan, Jr. | October 13, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, the team itself is improved this year by the addition of more skilled players, but the shot count and scores are the same as the last two seasons. That tells me there's a problem with the coaching - since the Caps are, on paper, a better team now, can't they get a better, NHL-proven coach? It certainly can't hurt.

Posted by: Todd | October 13, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I will say it again. This team reminds me of the '74-'75 team, only it might not be as good. Without the great goaltending, it would have been 12 to whatever. Oh, & by the way, I was there too. & have been following hockey for 57 years, ever since I was 8 years old. Look out lottery.

Posted by: sidehillman | October 13, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Ummm yeah... I'm in town from Chicago for the game and just left the arena !! What in gods name was that? It was a disgrace to be seen in a caps jersey! 4 goals in 10 min.. Yup flashback to the game in December where we got killed! Winning 3 games in a row was a total fluke! Going to drink some more Molson now without wearing my jersey!! Its going to be another long season!

Posted by: Sam | October 13, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Sam, cheers my man! I'll be drinking too!!!

Posted by: Mitch | October 13, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"First rule of hockey: SHOOT THE F'ING PUCK
Jesus Christ"
and
"Who gives a *#*#*#."
-keef

and youre telling other people to "calm down a little bit" in the next breath. i had to reread that was comical.

Posted by: debacle | October 13, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to people that were calling for player's/coach's heads.

They're playing like crap, but calling for replacements/firings at this point is jumping the gun.

Posted by: keef | October 13, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, the rebuild is over when the team plays like it, not when the owners/mngt say it is. No elite defensemen were brought in. I'd say it shows. How many times can a puck hop over Pothiers stick? If the rebuild is over, we're in trouble.

I feel bad for those guys.

Posted by: 007 | October 13, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

that sort of play in front of a goalie is hard on johnson. maybe some of the on the bubble players are getting comfortable thinking they'll be in the nhl like last year.

Posted by: jim | October 14, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

To all you geniuses,
I FREAKIN' TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Puckguru | October 14, 2007 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Puckguru, you are sunshine on a cloudy day!

Posted by: Raber | October 14, 2007 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Just like you told us, that, after a mediocre PRESEASON, Olie, of all people, is the problem, right puckguru? And exactly what are you telling us right now, after the team's second loss of the season?

Posted by: Scai | October 14, 2007 7:35 AM | Report abuse

In today's Washington Post article, Hanlon said the team wouldn't do things differently, just do them better. Ugh...you can't lose any better, dude! You're doing a great job of it as it is! :) This is really frustrating to see. What happened to the team of the first two games? Although it is still early in the season to call for changes, I recall reading an article in the pre-season saying that Hanlon's job might be the one that's most on the line this season. After seeing this meltdown over the last three games, I'd have to agree. The easiest change to make is the coach. Hmmm...what's our boy Cassidy doing these days? Maybe he can come back and show us his strategy. Better get a supply of napkins so he has plenty to write on! :) Since a team can send a player to the minors for reconditioning, how about sending coaches too? Maybe a stint in Hershey might give Hanlon a chance to learn how to win again and we could call up Boudreau to replace him here. Obviously, this is a very frustrating situation for us Caps fans. It's just difficult to understand the abrupt 180-degree turn that the team has made.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 14, 2007 8:12 AM | Report abuse

yea "puckguru" what is your point? were still above 500 after 4 games on the road, we have won played 4 of 5 games without our second best player, we are 500. on the road (which playoff teams basically need), the biggest concern (olie) is gone because hes played amazing, and were going home for a two week 4 game homestand. If we can take at least 3 of these games, were looking at a strong record ending October. I would agree Fri and Sat were brutal to watch, but chemistry takes time some times. And shots on goal are all about possession and you know semin would have given us a lot more puck possession time.

Posted by: mike s | October 14, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse