National TV Schedule Announced

Versus announced today that it will show seven Caps games this season, and NBC, which will operate under a flexible schedule for eight of the network's regular-season dates, has five Washington games to choose from:

- On Sunday, Jan. 17 at 12:30 p.m., NBC will broadcast Chicago at Detroit or Philly at Washington.

- On Sunday, Jan. 31 at 12:30 p.m., NBC will broadcast Detroit at Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay at Washington.

- On Sunday, Feb. 7 at 12:30 p.m., NBC will broadcast Boston at Montreal or Pittsburgh at Washington.

- On Sunday, March 14 at 12:30 p.m., NBC will broadcast Philly at NYR, Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay or Washington at Chicago.

- On Sunday, April 11, NBC will broadcast Boston at Washington, NYR at Philly or Detroit at Chicago.

The Caps' press release is after the jump.

"VERSUS will broadcast seven Washington Capitals games to a national television audience in 2009-10, the network announced today. NBC, which will operate under a flexible schedule for eight of the network's regular-season dates, has five potential Washington games to pick from.

VERSUS, which will broadcast 54 regular-season NHL games, will feature the Capitals seven times this season starting with Washington' season-opening visit to Boston on Oct. 1. The network will also broadcast the following games: Oct. 6 at Philadelphia, Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia, Nov. 17 at the New York Rangers, March 8 vs. Dallas, April 5 vs. Boston and April 6 at Pittsburgh.

In addition to the national broadcasts in the United States, 17 Capitals games will be televised nationally in Canada. CBC will televise five Capitals games: Oct. 3 vs. Toronto, Nov. 21 at Toronto, Nov. 28 at Montreal, Dec. 12 at Toronto and Dec. 19 at Edmonton. TSN will televise eight Washington games: Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia, Nov. 20 vs. Montreal, Dec. 18 at Vancouver, Jan. 7 vs. Ottawa, Jan. 15 vs. Toronto, Feb. 10 at Montreal, Feb. 11 at Ottawa and April 5 vs. Boston. TSN2 will televise four games: Oct. 6 at Philadelphia, Nov. 17 at New York Rangers, March 8 vs. Dallas and April 6 at Pittsburgh.

Washington's local broadcast schedule will be released in the coming weeks."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  August 19, 2009; 4:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps on Versus
Next: Video: Boudreau on WPL (Updated)

Comments

This is making me fein for the season even more now...;)

Posted by: hbcapsfan | August 19, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

*pulls out Caps jersey from the back of the closet and looks at it admiringly*

Let's GOOO Caps!!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 19, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

At least one win in there.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 19, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's see ... which of these are likely to actually BE NBC games? Knowing NBC's love affair with its big markets?

1. CHI @ DET or WSH @ PHI? You're kidding me, right? CHI @ DET.
2. DET @ PIT or TBL @ WSH. Again, don't make me laugh. No chance they don't bill this one as a rematch of the Cup final and play DET @ PIT.
3. BOS @ MTL or PIT @ WSH. This one I think they'll show PIT @ WSH. Too much bad blood from last year's playoffs and the circus it was hyped to be.
4. PHI @ NYR, PIT @ TBL, WSH @ CHI. Could be WSH @ CHI, but I think they'll opt for Flyers @ Rangers here.
5. BOS @ WSH, NYR @ PHI, DET @ CHI. HOLY CRAP THERE ISN'T A PITT GAME IN THE LIST *ded of shock* Anyway. This one could be any of the above but I think BOS @ WSH falls off the list first.

Posted by: kittypawz | August 19, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

SMELLS LIKE HOCKEY!

Posted by: SA-Town | August 19, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

top shelf, glove side.

through the defender's legs.

falls to the ice, scores.

extreme angle, top shelf.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Actually, unless they have changed the schedule, Philly is at Washington on January 17th.

As I dislike the 12:30 starts as much as Ovie, I would prefer no more than one. And how many people are going to get up early to watch it on the west coast? What's wrong with 3:00 pm? NBC already screwed us out of the New Years game, the least they could do it have a reasonable start time for any other game.

It's not like they didn't know the season was coming and couldn't pick dates around other TV activities. Of course they could only pick Sundays where PITT was playing so that may have limited their options.

I wish they would skip the match up between the Caps and Sidney's chorus line. So tired of "who's better" between the apple (of our eye) and the (sour puss) lime (oranges didn't work here).

Posted by: Varly | August 19, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Now, when can we get good play-by-play announcers?
another year of Locker and what-is-his-name is enough to make me hate hockey.

Posted by: hock1 | August 19, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@hbcapsfan

"...fein for the season..."

Don't you mean "pine for the season"? Or is "fein" really a word that means anticipate? I know someone with the last name of "Fein" but didn't know it was an English word.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 19, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Once again, we're slammed with Phlyer and Pengwhine games on Vs. It should be a conflict of interest for Vs. (owned by Comcast) to broadcast the Phlyers nationally (another Comcast entity). It should be a crime to show Crysby's supple lips on TV more than necessary.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 19, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

@Varly: Amen, twice. Those 3:00 games can be flat enough! And it's pathetic that 8 "vs" 87 is the only story TV can see. Alex and Cindy's matching hats, and those 7 days in(to) May won't slow that monorail down one bit.

You're own the network: Pick two opponents for Caps and 2 for Pens, besides each other, to showcase Everything That's Great aboot Hockey. Bonus points for fan-friendly story lines that have nothing to do with 887.

Posted by: redlineblue | August 19, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Stupid, stupid Versus exclusive games-story on the NHL website said that Mondays are the Versus exclusive night. Then, WHY Gary, WHY do you allow other game to be scheduled during that time slot? While the Caps have two Monday night games on Versus (home game against Dallas on March 8th and home game against Boston on April 5th), the Caps have 5 other Monday night games that are not on Versus, which probably mean NO TV. The Monday home games that are not on Versus are the Devils on Oct. 12 and the Canes on Dec. 28. The away Monday games that are not on Versus at Ottawa on Nov. 23, the Canes on Nov. 30, and at Tampa on Dec. 7. Just love how the league omits how many games will be blacked out due to the exclusive night.

Posted by: NovaCath | August 19, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I searched "fein" on dictionary.com and guess what came up... Dianne Feinstein. lol

Posted by: wis193 | August 19, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I think you mean "fain"-per Websters-as an adverb. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.

Main Entry: 2fain
Function: adverb
Date: 12th century
1 : with pleasure : gladly

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 19, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay I miss your "Crowd Noise" blog...I might be the only one, but gosh darnit I loved it!

Anyways, whether on national tv or regional, who gives a crap! I would rather have a 100+ season with no tv, than have a 60 point season with 25 nationally televised games. Besides, we're all going to witness 41 home games in person right?

Posted by: RedskinsWiz23 | August 19, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Jan 17th???
Hmmmmmm sounds like NFL playoffs to me. And they are generally 3pm & 6pm or round-abouts there any more. So, it is probably wise marketing to play it early on the Right Coast. Sorry.
Hoping for 2 or 3 of the 7 on NBC - the road games cause I'll be at the home games and don't need it on TV.

Posted by: marksman37 | August 19, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I could care less if the Caps are on any games on TV or not, other than the National Games that are played in June, other than that, it really does not matter.

Posted by: RichC3 | August 19, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of VS, the Very Sydney network and NBC, the nothing but Crosby network. Frankly I like the kid, but those stations cram him down your throat until you gag. GO Joe B and Locker!

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | August 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

RichC3 - if you have nothing worthy of saying, nothing IS worthy of saying.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | August 19, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

LOL it's not like the NHL wants to be on versus and NBC still does the games only because they have nothing else and also probably because of the olympics.

maybe if Bettman got down on his knees and begged espn, they would let hockey back on the world wide leader of sports.

Posted by: joek443 | August 19, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

The "world wide leader in sports" shows card games and Favre mowing his lawn. They're are to sports as MTV is to music.

Posted by: redlineblue | August 19, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Now, when can we get good play-by-play announcers?
another year of Locker and what-is-his-name is enough to make me hate hockey.

Posted by: hock1 | August 19, 2009 5:45 PM |

Wait, what?

How long have you've been watching Caps game.

Plus, Joe B, like him or hate him, is a pretty recognizable voice.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 19, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redlineblue | August 19, 2009 10:14 PM |

Add Snoop Dogg commentary.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 19, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redlineblue | August 19, 2009 10:14 PM

LOL that only proves how LOW hockey is in the world of sports.

Posted by: joek443 | August 19, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

and versus has some serious sports programming like mixed martial arts and rodeo, right?

Posted by: joek443 | August 19, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Having the rights to the fastest growing sport isn't a bad thing.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 19, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NovaCath | August 19, 2009 6:22 PM |

They have the exclusive rights, but if VS isnt showing it, the local channels still do.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 19, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

don't forget they have cycling too!

Posted by: superpaqman | August 19, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the rumor that the Caps turned down a trade from Colorado for Scott Hannon (Washington giving up Nylander)? It was on hockeybuzz the other day and I know the Caps have a lot a D-Men and Hannon's contract is almost as big and just as long but he would give us more experience on the back line and other then last year has been a very dependable player. Last year was probably just a result of playing on one of the worst teams in hockey. I can't see any reason why this would be true that the Caps turned it down giving how Nylander doesn't play and lashes out in the media.

Posted by: icehammer97 | August 20, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

The Versus Exclusivity Night, last year, I believe was Tuesdays for the first half of the season and then switched to Mondays in January (after MNF stopped). I think I read yesterday here that the Caps would not be "Versused" this year. All the Monday games listed above in the one post should be one. And, to contradict another post, if I may, respectfully, when it is "Versus Exclusive Night," no games can be shown locally in that same time slot. So, as example, Tuesday Oct 6th, Caps-Flyers in on Vs, any other game between 7 and 9:30 start not shown anywhere in US. Games starting at 10 would be shown both locally and on Center Ice, is my understanding. Last year Caps-Nashville late Oct and Caps-Panthers early Dec were not shown on any network as they were Tuesday night, early half of season, and not the Versus Exclusive game.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 20, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

There is one game looks like it might be "Versused" - Tuesday, Dec 15, 9:30 pm EST start at Colorado, although maybe the exclusivity window ends for games starting at that time.

Does anyone get MLB Network? I get it free with my cable package (well, nothing's free) and it's HD. Since the Orioles are almost never on here in FL, that is a good channel to wacth sometimes because they switch back-and-forth live into various games and naturally do highlights. I seem to remember the NHL Network didn't do that with the live feeds. Maybe they can learn a thing or two from MLB in this case.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 20, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

joek443: You are a hockey fan right? I know you are, but why are you trashing where hockey rates in the sports world? I liked ESPNs coverage of hockey. I really like Gary Thorne, he has an awesome hockey voice IMO.

The NHL came out of the ashes in 2005 and ESPN wanted revenue sharing. The NHL just wanted to get the sport and league back out on the air nationally and OLN (Versus) stepped up. Versus and the NHL signed another deal in 2007 that goes to the end of the 2010-11 season. If the NHL continues to improve its ratings in the US, which it has every year since the lockout, ESPN will probably be waiting in 2011 to pick up the NHL again. Much of the gain in popularity can of course be attributed to our very own OV and Capitals.

As far a MMA, even though it is probably just a flash in the pan as far as mainstream, I am sure that ESPN wishes it had a chunck of UFC (Spike) or WEC (VS) because it is making a little money right now. It'll probably fade to obscurity again but our thirst for blood and knockouts is fed by the UFC and WEC. I guess dancing with the stars thinks the UFC is popular enough to draw people because they are having a guy named Chuck Lidell on their next show and all of his fame (even if you don't know who he is) came from fighting in the UFC.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 20, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

tom, not missing much not seeing the O's this year!

I wish the Caps were not on VS or NBC at all. All that you ever hear is how they can't play D and Ovie is a one way player with no back-checking ability. I would be just as happy if all the games were just shown locally with Joe B. I end up getting pissed off and just mute the national announcers anyway.

Posted by: PhilR | August 20, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

@Randy_Hawkins - It should be a conflict of interest for Vs. (owned by Comcast) to broadcast the Phlyers nationally (another Comcast entity).

...you know, you may have a point there.

Posted by: irockthered | August 20, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Great Now we get to listen to Engblaum bash the Caps and Keith Jones Sweating the phlyers and Danny Briere......Plus everyone else eating up the Penguins. I'm going to watch the games on mute unless they are on CSN

Posted by: CapsFan44 | August 20, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Joe B is one of the best play by play announcers in hockey. He is a little boring but I would rather hear about what is going on with the play than about players parents, kid, dog, whatever. Locker on the other hand...

Posted by: caps512 | August 20, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness only one of the five NBC games is away, and I'll be able to enjoy the games and the phone booth without having to listen to them.

Posted by: Sonyask | August 20, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Anyone, what date does camp start?

Posted by: RongCapsFan | August 20, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Now, when can we get good play-by-play announcers?
another year of Locker and what-is-his-name is enough to make me hate hockey.

Posted by: hock1 | August 19, 2009 5:45 PM

name: Joe B. They are MUCH better than the clowns on NBC.

Posted by: whiteltng | August 20, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I just can't understand the bashing of the broadcast crew, Joe B is the best (and clearly that's understood outside of local Comcast since he's appearing all over the place now). Locker is what he is, a color guy who despite the corniness actually is very insightful. The pair of them have been the voice of the Caps forever, it actually feels odd to hear any other voices calling their games. Jokin' Al Koken on the other hand is just ok in my book, he is also insightful, occasionally, but duller than paint drying and a bit of a D-bag too. Plus he has the most enormous misshapen noggin I've ever seen, you could land a small plane on that forehead. Ted Kennedy looks like a shrunken head next to him....

Posted by: Evangelicalssuck | August 20, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Joe B. does a good job of describing the play and adding insight beyond what you can see on the screen. He also manages to lead Locker into some relevant commentary. Locker is good because he reminds us that hockey is supposed to be fun.

Posted by: ds_kelly | August 20, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

The only knock I had on Joe B is that he seemed to be trying to do the broadcast without bias when on COMCAST. I understand has to appear unbias when he's on VS (even tho Doc EM is all over the Pens). However, you could finally tell that Joe B was a Caps fan when he let his political correctness slip a little during the Pens series. Now I am completely sold on Joe B.

Craig on the other hand is just a retired hockey player living the dream. I'd be goofy and laughing all the time if I was lucky enough (I say lucky enough because some unbelievably skilled players never get a shot at the NHL) to have had an NHL career, and now he gets paid to watch it. What a life, you go Craig.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 20, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@ marksman 37

Actually, why do the televised games have to be on Sunday at all? Saturday? A week night? And why do they not televise any until after Jan 1st. Couldn't they find times in the fall? Also, the NBC evening schedule is not that great and since most shows only do 22 or less episodes, you think they could pick a night here or there to show a hockey game and that would save them from multiple re-runs. No one would die if they had to wait an extra week to see an episode of... gee - I don't watch NHB shows so I can't name one.

Posted by: Varly | August 20, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Not bad. But TSN is showing 12 Caps games. I've always found NBC's coverage too cheesy to be able to take seriously. TSN is pretty lame too but not close to as bad as NBC. No wonder the hockey market can't quite catch in many states with coverage like that.

Posted by: Stu_c | August 20, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

PhilR: I enjoy the national games because the only games I get in HD are those and the Lightning (Sunshine Ch). The games in Center Ice are not HD and are actually extra blurry. I have tried calling local Brighthouse Networks (cable).

Me: "Some of the Center Ice games are now in HD. Why don't you show them?"
Brighthouse Employee: "What?"
Me: "You only have the games in the 500 series of channels, which is standard TV. Why don't you have the games they show in HD up in the 1000s so I can watch in HD?"
Them: "Oh, I don't know."

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

the voice of the capitals - to me it will always be Ron Weber - everyone else is just a rent-an-announcer

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 20, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse