Neuvirth appears set to start in Edmonton

Michal Neuvirth appears set to start tonight in snow-covered Edmonton, where the Caps will attempt to bounce back from Friday's 3-2 setback in Vancouver.

If Neuvirth does indeed get the nod against the Oilers, the rookie netminder also needs a bounce-back performance. If you remember, his most recent start, a 6-3 loss in Toronto last Saturday, did not go well at all.

Asked what he needs to see from Neuvirth, Boudreau chuckled.

"Some saves, for one," he cracked. "We've talked to Michal. He knows he's young and he knows this is a tremendous opportunity for him. If he looks at it as an opportunity...he'll take it and embrace it. If he takes it [the other way] we'll find out pretty early in the first period."

The news on the Caps' other rookie goalie isn't encouraging. One day after reporting some discomfort in his strained groin muscle, Semyon Varlamov practiced again but said he was feeling no better. Sounds to me like he's not going to be ready to return Wednesday as originally expected.

"He didn't feel comfortable," Boudreau said. "He said he's not 100 percent yet. We don't want to make this a six-week injury so we pulled it back a little bit."

In addition to wanting to see some improvement from Neuvirth, Boudreau said he's also looking for the skaters on the power play to work harder. In Vancouver, the unit went 0 for 4, recording just a single shot.

"It wasn't very good and we didn't work very hard," Boudreau said. "I don't know the exact percentage, but I've got to believe that at least 75 percent of all games are won and lost on special teams in the NHL these days. Definitely over 50 percent. So when your power play doesn't get the job done and they score one, that can be the difference."

Some other notes and quotes from the morning skate at Rexall Place:

*Boudreau on Ovechkin's struggles Friday: "It's amazing he can do what he does when every team's best line and best defense is on you all the time. It's a difficult thing he has to fight through every day."

*Based on the skate, it looks like Shaone Morrisonn and John Erskine are out on defense. Morrisonn appeared to be favoring his leg a bit, which is likely the lingering effects of the hit he took from David Koci on Tuesday in Denver.

*Rookie Kyle Wilson stayed on the ice for some extra work, so that likely means he's out. If that's the case, look for Quintin Laing to perhaps return from his broken jaw tonight. After recording two assists in his NHL debut Tuesday, Wilson did not record a point or a shot in 8:08 of ice time against the Canucks. He also lost four of six faceoffs.

*Jeff Schultz, who was hobbled a bit by a shot he took off his heel in the first period Friday, said he's good to go.

I'll check in later with a lineup.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 19, 2009; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canucks 3, Caps 2
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Oilers

Comments

Thanks for the update, Tarik. I'm eager to see how Neuvy does tonight. I think he'll be better. I'm also hoping Laing will get a few minutes--we certainly need him.

I hate waiting for these late games to start. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see Laing in, he'll remind the boys how to DO WORK!

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Jeff Schultz, who was hobbled a bit by a shot he took off his heel in the first period Friday, said he's good to go."

You mean the shot he put into his own net?

I had to say it.

Posted by: breaklance | December 19, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see Semin back on the top line tonight.

Also Semin looks like he's coasting too much when he's not on the top line.

Not to mention that Knuble is a step too slow to keep up with Backs and Ovie in transition. He does fine when they have the puck established in the zone and he can park in front or make a play along the wall, but when that line is flying up the ice on the counterattack he's nowhere near as effective.

I think a Laich, B-Mo, and Knuble line has a lot of potential as a score-off-the-cycle unit. I could see some chemistry developing there after a decent run of games together. That would be my second line tonight.

go caps!

Posted by: uranderson | December 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps! Look forward to seeing a great show! Thanks for the update Tarik!

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | December 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I know Bruce likes to split up his scoring aces to get one away from the other team's top D pair, but Semin, Backie and OV have a lot of chemistry together, and are good enough to score regularly on anybody. By: URAnderson

I think that to too

Posted by: newfanofcaps | December 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@uranderson

I don't know if Semin necessarily coasts when not on the top line for he has scored with a variety of different line mates. He did score last night.

I did notice that his ice time has been pretty low in the last two games until they put him back with Ovi.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

It was not a good day for Wilson yesterday so not surprised to see him out. Except who will be our third line and fourth line centers? I count Steckel as a center vut can't think of any more. Laing is a winger, I thought. And so are Bradley, Clark, Flash and Fehr. (Okay, Flash has been listed as a center in the past but he seems to be left wing.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

It's time for the New Kid on the Block to show his "Virth" at goal.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Making note on S. Morrisonn being out today with lingering injury. I'm surprised we didn't see Juice playing on Friday to give one of our injured a break.

Not to mention Green. I'm sure that swollen eye has not helped his vision any.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

This could be a tough one tonight for Neuvy. The team in front of him is on a difficult road trip and just played last night. He could face a lot of shots tonight.

Posted by: zmega | December 19, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

tom-

i just want to warn you i'm going to break the rules on red wine. a) i didnt drink it last night and we lost so im hoping it will mix it up b) its snowing and its what i have...

i figure this fits into the same parameters of changing what seat one is in when the team loses... otherwise forgive me :)

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank God we have not lost power or cable with this blizzard - I would be less than giddy if I couldn't catch the game. Having said that, I hope it really is on CSN+ cuz that's not with that guide says ... :-/

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 19, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I understand that Edmonton is decimated my injury. Their #1 goalie, Khabibulin, is out. And Alex Hensky is out, among other people.

Let's hope Dustin Penner doesn't carry the Oilers on his back.

Go Caps.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan75

I really like your lines from the previous thread.

Need 2 lines need to kick...

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Man another late game but the worst part: not in HD! Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 19, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

The CSN+ signal (on FiOS, anyway) is so degraded that SD looks good in comparison. Oh well, I shouldn't complain too much--at least the game's on.

Is it time yet? :-)

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 19, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Hockey Night in Canada just confirmed that Semin will be on the top line.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 19, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan75;

You were right about Neuvy.

Joek443:

I am afraid I haver always shared the view you expressed about the 3 goalies, i.e we only have Varly. I get a glimmer of hope here and there but I come back to the same realization. We only have one goalie who, up to now, shows that he is of the caliber we need for becoming a serious Cup contender.

I am worried because of the reputation he, at least, used to have as delicate health-wise. I think he really needs a solid, reliable goalie as back-up. What if this was the playoffs and he got hurt or sick?

I shared your impression of Neuvy from the first time I saw him: technically correct but without the rest of the stuff needed to deliver. I had not heard the expression "pretty goalie," or whatever you said, before.

However, he is a top AHL goalie. What I hope is that if he gets to feel as comfortable on the NHL level as he is in AHL, then he could be that solid, reliable, excellent second goalie for next year.

Kudos to BB that he is throwing him in there to find our what he's got, as opposed to being so fixed on winning he does not want to take any chances to develop a young player. Of course with Theo's unpredictable performance, he does not have much to lose, does he?

It will be telling tonight whether Neuvy is able to seize the opportunity or collapses under pressure.

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla, Tominfl

Oops. We are out of red and white wine and there is a blizzard out there. Can someone post some good wine on the blog?

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

The CSN plus reception on Comcast is awful. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 19, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Come on cash rich Comcast, make that +Channel HD!

Good move BB, on the goalie decision tonight. Also, put some fire and urgency in that PP unit!

Posted by: Max231 | December 19, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@ caraveli

I heard the term "pretty boy" goalie during the ESPN broadcast of a Stars game sometime in the 90's... Eddie Belfour used it as a not-so-flattering term for goalies who seemed more concerned with their style than stopping the puck any way possible.

Eddie Belfour was of course a very good goalie but nobody was likely to confuse him with guys like Patrick Roy as far as their styles.

Posted by: joek443 | December 19, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

It blows my mind that BB insist in splitting the OV/Backs/Semin line. These guys are young, are the future of this team, play well together so you could only imagine what they will be in a few years if they continue as a line. Semin draws double and triple team on the second line just like OV do on the first line, the other team would not be able to cover both of them if they play together. All three are European players and understand each other. Knuble and Morrison are North American Players and play better with each other.
One more thing. BB is nuts to cut Semin's time out of the PP line. That guy is the best player we have.

Posted by: hock1 | December 19, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm as OCD as Alzner use to be so I gave up on the red/white debate. We made Mexican style pizza with chicken and beans (really good, even my son liked it) and a good bourbon on the rocks. No team has brown uniforms--right?

As for last night--sigh. But IMO I think the loss was due mostly to the Caps inability to capitalize on the PP. Other parts of the game were okay. Definitely an off day for Ovi, but it certainly wasn't from a lack of effort. He looked frustrated to me. We just lost power here at home--hope we get it back in time for the game.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 19, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

BTW anyone besides me sick of seeing these old-timers that nobody under the age of 70 ever heard of at the start of HNIC broadcasts?

I don't think any team in the history of pro sports tries to milk the past glory like the maple leafs... probably because they have NOT done a darn thing in the past 40 years

Posted by: joek443 | December 19, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I still have hope for Neuvy. I think it was more the adjustment to the speed of the NHL, committing too soon or hesitating too long. His AHL success was really great last season so I'm not ready to rule him out. It's a big transition to the big league but he does need to bring his big game tonight. Have a great game Neuvy!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 19, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Neuvy will be a good NHL goalie but it's gonna take a little more time than Varly.

the reason Varly has had more success so far at the NHL level is that he has more raw talent. Once Neuvy gets more experience, used to the speed of the game at this level and learns to anticipate better, he'll do just fine.

it took YEARS for Kolzig to have any success with the Caps.

Posted by: joek443 | December 19, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla, Tominfl

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Like a recommendation? I'm def not the one to ask, except maybe for beer! I drink what is here or in this case what my sister brought over

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone "run out" of wine? I have about 90 bottles at the moment and my collection is "low."

mrszilla: I had white wine yesterday and it didn't work. Obviously, it doesn't always work. We'll never go 82-0-0.

If the PP is #1 in the league, we must accept they will miss a few.

I still think a top defensive forward (preferably a center) is the biggest need March 1st (to help the PK and also to shadow guys like Crosby).

Someone posted, "I'm afraid Varly is our only SC caliber goalie" as though that were a problem. How many teams have two? Does NJ?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 19, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Skiing gonna be great!

Posted by: Max231 | December 19, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

It was one bad game...

Nabokov - 7GA vs STL 1999/2000
Luongo - 9GA vs PIT 1999/2000
Lundqvist - 5G 7 times in 2004/2005

Every goalie craps the bed at times their rookie year...

Neuvy has what 6 NHL starts?

No need to lose faith, question or worry about him now, if he's still doing this in year 3, then worry...

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

caraveli: If you don't have either red or white, that doesn't leave much. Rose?

The best solution for no wine, on the road, is beer.

Cosmopolitans are also good as the color is a very light red. That would be vodka, Grand Marnier or Cointreau and lime in the shaker.

Better yet if you like weaker cocktails like I do is fill a tall glass with ice, a shot of vodka (I use Svedka - some don't like it), maybe a half-shot of Cointreau, 6 oz of 7-Up and squeeze half a lime. You can drink more w/o getting as much alcohol.

If you don't have wine, don't have beer and don't have liquor - I can't help.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 19, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
I agree Neuvy is gonna be a great NHL goalie. He's still young - he's got plenty of time to mature into that keeper. I just hope he bounces back tonight - for his psyche, if nothing else. Granted, all goalies (or should I say, players) have bad games, but if he has another one it could put him in a hole that he has a hard time climbing out of. Surely all will be well in the end regardless.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 19, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

"Coasts" was a poor choice of words, he played very well last night and was busting his butt when he drew that penalty.

I still think he looks more comfortable and has more jump with OV and Backs. But with the way he moves off the puck, and with that release, he's going to score his share regardless.

@hock1

I think Boudreau splits them up when they start getting too "cute", making too many fancy passes and stickhandles, rather than crashing the net or taking more shots etc...

I just wish there was a way he could get that message across without breaking the line up.

Posted by: uranderson | December 19, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

"If you don't have wine, don't have beer and don't have liquor - I can't help."

If you have none these, shame on you for poor blizzard/survival planning. HA

Posted by: eorr | December 19, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the thing I did "wrong" last night, was I watched the TSN broadcast instead of Caps broadcast. TSN was more about Caps love than Canucks love.

And the announcer did say the ref was "mighty sensitive" for giving Poti the extra two.

On the penalty shot...a team should have the option to have a regular PP instead of a PS if they choose. That should be a rule change.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 19, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow I just had the displeasure of watching Don Cherry give his thoughts on Koci's hit on Green. According to The Polyester Clown, it was Green's fault for not knowing Koci was on the ice.

Don Cherry gets stupider and more annoying each time I have tuned into his retarded show. (Not to mention the eye damage from the rodeo a## clown suits he wears.) I think that will be the last time I bother watching him.

Posted by: Bobomite | December 19, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

"I feel your pain up there with the snow. It was really chilly at the beach today. And while you're shoveling tomorrow, I'll be mowing the lawn and sweeping sand out of the garage. See, it's not all peaches and cream down here."

Isn't this the kind of thing they mean when they say "report abuse" in this blog? Or does it fall in the category of cruel and unusual punishment? Either way I am sure that talking about the beach to those of us caught in a blizzard must be illega in some stats.

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 19, 2009 8:03 PM

90 and that's low?
what do you have with your bacon and eggs in the morning?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 19, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Cherry goes out of his way to blame the Caps players each time they get a cheap shot on them.

Posted by: eorr | December 19, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 8:31 PM

talking about beaches is not illegal here, just frowned upon. there are lots of times in dec, jan and feb where i think about the beach... while i'm on the back nine at a resort golf course.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 19, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Cherry can blow Manitoba all at once... Campbell too...

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, rather disappointed. CSN+ claims a "book discussion" show is on during game time. Guess I'll be watching the highlights online tomorrow. I hope Neuvy and the Caps pull off a win!

Posted by: hockeynewb | December 19, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

hockeynewb:
Don't buy it - the CSN+ listings are always jacked up. I bet the game will be on despite what the schedule says.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 19, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Hockeynewb: I see it on my guide (directv). Who do you have? Your provider just might not have an accurate guide.

Posted by: eorr | December 19, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Bears beating Rochester 4-2 in the 3rd period. I"m not there. Hershey only got about 8 inches of snow. My area, about halfway between Hershey and Baltimore, got 15 inches and it's still coming down. Apparently there are approx 2000 fans who made it to the game.
Hershey goals by Osala (2) Helmer and Giroux. Bacashihua in goal.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 19, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Im staring at 2ft of snow, if not more...

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain why Schultz plays with Green? That means he plays 5-5 a lot more than he should compared to Poti or Mo. I still think the Caps need a guy to play with Green.

Posted by: jgrasse | December 19, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not gonna lie... i LOVE snow!!! This is my vacation so I'm all about hanging inside and playing in the snow

Tom- do we need to call an emergency intervention or AA meeting for you ;)

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Comcast in the Frederick area. It should be on, and I was hoping to set the DVR to record it so I could watch the first period or two before passing out. Shoveling out two cars in 20" of snow will make you a bit sleepy. Guess I'll force the DVR to record for 3+ hours and see if I get the game or a book show.

Posted by: hockeynewb | December 19, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry wasn't the only one who said that Green had to be more aware of who's out on the ice. One of the guys on NHL on the Fly said basically the same thing as soon as it happened.

it's not blaming Green for what happened but he still has to do a better job of protecting himself on the ice.

Posted by: joek443 | December 19, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Ok, schedule is definitely borked. Nevermind the slight freakout. BTW, tominfl, I broke etiquette and drank red wine tonight.

Posted by: hockeynewb | December 19, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@jgrasse

Its a statistical fact that Schultz allows fewer goals per 60/min than any of our defensemen.

It is also a statistical fact that he plays against the toughest opponents when on the ice compared to the rest of our defense.

It is also a statistical fact that he ranked in the top 10 (8th) when compared to defensive defensemen league wide...

In summary... He is very good at what he does, period.

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

UMMMMM malkin just got a penalty for playing the puck while his feet were still in the penalty box. WOW. smart one hahaha

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

5:17 left in the 3rd. 5-4 Bears. Latest Bears goal by Perreault.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 19, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hockeynewb | December 19, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I've decided that it was necessary... they need some extra oooomph for the back to back games

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

"If you don't have wine, don't have beer and don't have liquor - I can't help."

If you have none these, shame on you for poor blizzard/survival planning. HA

Posted by: eorr

Okay okay my husband and I plead guilty. We planned poorly and facing the consequences. If we survive watching the game wine-less and alcohol-less, and we are given a second chance, it will never happen again.

Has anybody had their streets ploughed in Northern VA?

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I think they came by an hour ago...

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

They came through earlier today but there is a fresh 8-10 inches back on the ground where they plowed. I am expecting my car to be plowed in by tomorrow morning.

Posted by: eorr | December 19, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Bears win 5-4.
Now let's hope the Caps can get a win tonight too.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 19, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

thats great news tess, thanks for the update!

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

apparently the penguins cant convert on the pp either... maybe there is a pp flu going around

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Question about Comcast Sportsnet HD...

What do I have to do to get it? Currently all I have is basic cable, and I have a few HD compatible televisions in my house. Those televisions get some digital channels, such as Versus HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, FOX HD, and CBS HD. So football looks great on those televisions, and so do the Caps when they are on Versus. But when the Caps are on CSN, it's of pretty low quality.

Help me...

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 19, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla: The Pens PP has been miserable for a few weeks now. 14.8% effective. YUCK

Posted by: eorr | December 19, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eorr | December 19, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I should have said the same for the sabres, except i dont care about them... the sabres actually have been given a ton of pp this game and havent gotten it in.. they are now in OT.

Posted by: mrszilla | December 19, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

blindskateluke:
you have to pay for HD service and get an HD box for it to work, so if you think those channels look good now, just wait until you are properly hooked up! :-) just call your cable provider and they'll fill you in on what you need to do.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 19, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@eorr @ Mrszilla

Except the Pens seem to manage to win all the time with a lousy Power Play, anyhow.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

@hockeynewb

Borked schedule? Don't you mean "Bourqued"?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

As usual, the Pens manage to win in OT and shootouts. I hate them!

And even though Malkin has a ridiculous number of minor penalties.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

No plowing out in Reston, VA. I doubt if we'll get out tomorrow.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 19, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Do any of you know if CSN+ on Comcast is channel 5 in DC? Last time a game was on CSN+, we couldn't watch it. Channel 5 showed book TV. We want to watch tonight and no bars seem to be open.

Help! Thanks.

Posted by: jodigwen | December 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: Same here in Alexandria near Bailey's Cross Roads. Not a single plough all day.

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

jodigwen:
just came on csn+ - the book listing is wrong.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 19, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

On Cox Cable, CSN+ is channel 74. Someone on this blog told me or I would never have known.

You aso would never know that the scheduled game is actually playing because they never actually announce it. I have no idea why. The listed programs are things like high school football or basketball or something that has nothing to do with hockey. If you tape the program, just tape anything in the time slot, regardless of the announced program.

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

not a single plow spotted here in az - tominfl1 - any sightings in your neighborhood?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 19, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

kirk - arh arh :-P

new thread!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 19, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Why aren't we scoring against this goalie? He is good tonight but at the bottom of the rankings. I don't get why we are having so much trouble but the most frustrating games are when we cannot seem to score against the opponent's goalie.

Posted by: caraveli | December 19, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I stayed up for the third. We've scored four times against this goalie this period.

Posted by: miseaujeu | December 20, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

great win! I lost faith in the boys, saw they scored on Yahoo and turned the tube back on.

@uranderson

Semin was arguably best player in Vancouver last night, played a strong game. I think the only stick BB has is to break the line up, they so badly want to play together. That being said, another advantage to separating Semin and Ovechkin is that both players make other players better, and you'll notice even guys like Steckel making some pretty nifty moves occasionally.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 20, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

loved the lines tonight
putting Flash with Morrison and Fehr with Laich made 2nd and 3rd lines legitimate scoring threats, helped with balance.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 20, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse