Neuvirth, Giroux Returned to Hershey

The Capitals announced that goaltender Michal Neuvirth and Alexandre Giroux have been assigned to the Hershey Bears, who host Portland today at 5 p.m. Neuvirth served as Jose Theodore's backup the past three games.

Read the team's full release here.

By Katie Carrera  |  February 8, 2009; 2:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 3, Panthers 1
Next: Goaltending Update

Comments

Det owning Pens 3-0. I love all the fans on Pensblog...reality check, this team isn't putting 2 into it's own net then breaking a stick in OT for you. And it's not a Mason-less Columbus either. I really think Florida is going to hold everyone off and get the #8 seed. Buffalo I think will be #7 or maybe even the #6, Rangers are too inconsistent.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 8, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

So does that mean Varlamov will be recalled?

Posted by: Steve_R | February 8, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

I think they just want to play them tonight. My guess, they'll recall them up tomorrow.

Shutout by Conklin and goal by Hossa... doesn't get much better than this :D

Posted by: mauree | February 8, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOO Michal! :`( I thought he was going to get a chance this week! NOOO!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 8, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

so basically, neuvirth is going to be going up and down as both teams need 2 goalies?

they should nickname him yoyo.

Posted by: spotter | February 8, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Reading the hate and discontent at the Pens blog amuses me to no end.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 8, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What is the name of the Penguins blog, Steve?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 8, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Unless Varlamov is ready (which I don't think he is), Neuvirth will be yo-yo man. I take GMGM at his word when he says they aren't trading for anyone there. Because, unlike some his statements, that one makes sense.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 8, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Random other comment: If you haven't noticed, the game on the 22nd is now at 1230 for NBC viewing. As it happens, I'll be on the West Coast that weekend, so I get breakfast with hockey. Can't beat that!

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 8, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Just be prepared to read the word "vomit" a lot with wildly fluctuating support for their team. Apparently the Pens switch between being the Thrashers and the Cup champs from period to period.

That and a lot of AO hate...although Malkin jumping into the boards after that OT winner Tampa gifted to them they'll tout as the celebration of the year.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 8, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dave. Wow, Penguins fans are so idiotic. They complain about Pierre McGuire and how he kept talking about how good the Red Wings are and how the Penguins are just not that good. Pens fans should just realize he's telling the truth! They're already talking about the 2009-10 season, good for them cause they aren’t making the playoffs! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 8, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"But remember how many cups do the Caps have? And how many for the Pens?

Posted by: cocorules"

coco,

Keep reminding yourself of early 90's Pens glory while Sid is golfing in April.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll admit McGuire definitely drinks the Wings Kool-aid. That's one thing they get right. The other point though is that if the Pens were playing anyone else he would be playing up Crosby as the greatest thing since sliced bread. The other thing they get right is that the NBC announcing is utterly horrid. Should bring back Thorne and Clement.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey: Bleh, down with 12:30 starts! Kegs and eggs just isn't my style...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | February 8, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2

""If i was into guys i would be into Mike Green" is the all time dumbest statement i have ever seen on this blog. Jesus there are some morons with internet access"

If you are going to call me a moron, at least quote me accurately - you don't paraphrase a quote. Idiot.

Why don't you try picking apart my analysis of the game as opposed to taking the one off hand comment (and an obvious attempt at humor) and trying to make it a big deal? People like you infuriate me. I went back through the rest of that thread - did you add one piece of intelligent thought to the discussion? Nope.

Are you even a fan?

Posted by: patrone | February 8, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought the game of the week was the anticipated Metropolit vs Motzko matchup going on right now in Atlanta...

Posted by: austinsteve | February 8, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm very excited to see Neuvirth suit up for a game next week while in FLA.

here's hoping that Varlamov can come back and finish the season strong, whether backing up Theo or down on the farm.

Posted by: TJCAPS8 | February 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

Pretty sure Emrick was just inducted into the hall of fame so I'd say hes a pretty good announcer.

Posted by: JSeagull1 | February 8, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Varlamov's doctor's appointment last friday? Is his knee ok?

Posted by: CaliCapsFan | February 8, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

hey Patrone how could a moron like u decide if a comment is intelligent or not?
Your comments/insight certainly show your limited range. Oh yeah it is still the dumbestthing i have read. Congrats on being the # 1 buffoon

Posted by: wendel2 | February 8, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

wendel2, I'm pretty sure that personal attacks are explicitly forbidden by the forum rules.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | February 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@J Seagull1

Obviously it's just my opinion but in general I find the coverage on NBC to be pretty terrible overall. Being named to a Hall of Fame doesn't guarantee anything. I just don't get anything extra out of a game NBC is covering.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 8, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

NBC sports is heavy on the "!", but Emrick's not bad. Pens fans just aren't used to hearing nice things about anyone but The Golden Child. As for the Red Wings "kool-aid"--well, they ARE pretty flippin good. Heck, they pushed the Capitals for sixty minutes!

Posted by: redlineblue | February 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Late in the game Matt Cooke got clocked by an elbow and went down and was bleeding. The puck went to the point and there was a whistle. Emrick immediately said 'And we have a penalty call on Detroit. Cooke got nailed in the corner.' It ended up being a hand pass and no penalty was called. But no one told the tv audience. It fell through the cracks and never was brought up. Since the Pens were on the puck they would not have blown the whistle, but the HOF member and his sidekick were oblivious to what even I could see from just the tv coverage. Hand pass, no penalty.

Tell me how this type of shoddy coverage is going to help garner new fans.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 8, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse