Neuvirth set to start

Coach Bruce Boudreau just told reporters that Michal Neuvirth, recalled earlier today, will start tonight against the Thrashers as the Caps look to extend their franchise best winning streak to 13 games.

If they win, they'll equal the Devils' run in 2000-2001. The last streak longer than that was the Pens' NHL record 17 game winnin streak in 1993.

Ondrej Pavelec will start for the revamped (read: Ilya Kovalchuk-less) Thrashers.

Asked why Neuvirth tonight and not Braden Holtby, who was sent down and still hasn't made an NHL start, Boudreau said it had nothing to do with Holtby. They've been using Jose Theodore and Neuvirth during the streak, he said, and they're not about to change it now.

Boudreau also confirmed that Mike Green and Karl Alzner will be in, and Brian Pothier and Tyler Sloan will be out. The forwards, he said, will be the same.

Don't forget about Gene Wang's in game chat, which will be online at 6:45.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 5, 2010; 5:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. snow and tonight's Thrashers-Caps game
Next: Live chat: Thrashers at Caps

Comments

Friday the 13th.

Posted by: Raber | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy! That's excellent.

Caps are going to have to pull together to play team D like they did for Neuvy earlier in the streak. No more 1st period slowdowns. Glad to see Alzner's playing. With Green, we've got fresh legs.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Green back and Alzner in. Sloan was abysmal against the Rangers.

Posted by: thomas20 | February 5, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Called it. Neuvirth tonight. Theodore on Sunday.

Posted by: gebster | February 5, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy Bruce's reason for Neuvy getting the start. I don't know why; just seems a little fishy. But I'm probably just making something out of nothing...

Posted by: elicea | February 5, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Hope the Caps can get 13 on 13. Would have been nice to see Holtby play, but Neuvirth is a great option. We are so deep!

Posted by: CapsFanSince1979 | February 5, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Pavelec? This is gonna be a blowout, I think.

Posted by: gebster | February 5, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

BB is very superstitious. Laing is not getting in because they are on a roll. Neuvirth is getting in because Theodore and Neuvy have been the goalies during the streak. I am actually surprised Alzner is getting a chance, but maybe he played earlier in the streak.

Posted by: CapsFanSince1979 | February 5, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Alzner is playing because he's better than Sloan and they gave up 4 PP goals against the sorry Rangers last night

Posted by: joek443 | February 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

go get'em neuvy! lets get that lucky 13.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | February 5, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I called it. Neuvy in goal. And I completely understand and share BB's reasoning.

Posted by: caraveli | February 5, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFanSince1979

Alzner played during the streak -- in the game against Detroit, at least

Carlson also played during the streak.

Neuvy and Theo have both played during the streak.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 5, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

So what's the weather like out there now? It sounds like the commute to the game won't be bad but getting home can be a trick.

I remember one yr my buddies and I drove to the Cap Centre in my Firebird in a snow storm! I followed a snow plow the instant I crossed back over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge all the way around 495 to 66! The snow plow got off at Centerville and I got off at the next exit at Manassas. Granted we drove 20mph but we got home! LOL! Those were the good ole days. I never let snow keep me from getting to a game.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 5, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

They should play Hotlby. The streak will eventually end, i know hard to beleive right, and after it will be a test of character to see if they will imediately bounce back or go on a losing streak which often does happen after having such an incredible peak.

Play the kid win or lose its 1 game out of 82 in a season, silly superstition is just that. Heck they keep going Varly will play in Hershey until March just so they keep the same lines together!

Posted by: breaklance | February 5, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse