Neuvirth to Czech Republic

GM George McPhee confirmed this morning that goaltending prospect Michal Neuvirth will play this season for Trinec of the Czech Extraliga.

"There wasn't going to be enough ice time for everybody," McPhee said, referring to Hershey. "This way, everybody plays a lot, which is what we wanted."

The Caps can recall Neuvirth during the season, McPhee said, and goaltending Coach Dave Prior will make trips to Neuvirth's native Czech Republic to work with the youngster.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 21, 2008; 2:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Return to Calgary
Next: Notes From Calgary; TV Ratings Up

Comments

At least he'll speak the language...

Posted by: Bobo | October 21, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

from last post

Steve R

Found the answer to why Pettinger was picked up by TB.

Apparently, Matt and TB owner Len Barrie are friends and business partners.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 21, 2008 2:49 PM

Posted by: Greg S. | October 21, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

From last post @ Dave

www.channelsurfing.net shows caps games occasionally or other hockey games. it normally shows the tsn games and a couple of others. tonight the caps game is on there.

Posted by: Pat | October 21, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen Jim Hrivnak lately?

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | October 21, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Bobo

Neuvirth speaks english.

Posted by: Jordan | October 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh dang it...He deserves to be in Hershey.

CHEESE SUCKS!

Posted by: Cary | October 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

After watching Sunday's game in Hershey (yes, in the building), with 5 goals on 25 shots, can't we send Cheeser to the Czech Republic and keep Neuvirth. We just got the short end of that deal. I just don't see Machesney as an NHL goalie. If he proves me wrong, good for him, but I just don't see it.

Posted by: Zaichik | October 21, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I do not like the way this kid has been bouncing around, especially when the organization is coddling Varlamov in plain view. He doesn't deserve it.

Posted by: Ben | October 21, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

He will be back. They should just put him in though see what he can do since Varlamov is hurt for the time being.

Posted by: HBFan | October 21, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info Pat did not know that site showed games.

Posted by: HBFan | October 21, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Zaichik - I hear you. I drove out hoping Varlamov would play but instead I see warmups with Cheese and Gophert(sp). That was a bummer, but I did get to see Alzners goal.

Posted by: TJ | October 21, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth speaks good English, Varlamov does not speak any.

Posted by: FYI | October 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Dave Prior has his hands full right here in DC.

Posted by: Jill | October 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

You guys are awful Were you here last year when Cheese posted a 22-10-3 record with an almost entirely new team? So he had one bad game, big deal. He played awesome on Saturday. Get off your high horses and stop putting Machesney down. Neuvirth didn't look much better during preseason and Varlamov's two games were shaky as well.

Posted by: JP | October 21, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

TJ they gave Alzners goal to Mink after review. To me it sure looked like Alzner made the goal and I sit behind the net. Cheese can make some great saves and if he is on he is on, but if he is not then he does give up a lot of goals. I too was looking forward to seeing Var play but now we must wait. I did get the chance to see Neuvirth play during pre-season and I say give the kid a chance.

Posted by: HBFan | October 21, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

but I am not saying Cheese can not play, I just think they whole team was tired that night. I am not on a high horse, I never said Cheese was a bad goalie. I just would like to see Neuvirth in net since Var is hurt instead of calling up Geopert.

Posted by: HBFan | October 21, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

This is a great option for Neuvirth. My only concern is that he does not have the opportunity to continue to develop his english.

Posted by: Shawn | October 21, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth speaks English!!!

Posted by: FYI | October 21, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@JP

I have been a STH at Hershey since 2005 (and the Caps even longer) so yes, I've seen Cheeser play plenty. Varlamov and Neuvirth are 3 years younger and rookies so a little shaky is to be expected. But last year's stats are so last year. And I am just being realistic. Where do you get off saying that I am on a high horse because you don't like my opinion. I like Daren, he works hard and does as well as he can for the team. But I think Varlamov will soon pass him by. I watched a number of days of training camp - I thought Holtby played better than Machesney. Heck - Freddy backed the Bears to a Calder Cup and how many NHL games did he play in? You are free to prefer Machesney over Neuvirth and Varlamov and in the same vein, I'm free not to.

Posted by: Zaichik | October 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Huh wasn't the idea to get these guys used to the North American style of play?

Posted by: DC FURY | October 21, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Huh wasn't the idea to get these guys used to the North American style of play?

Posted by: DC FURY | October 21, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Huh wasn't the idea to get these guys used to the North American style of play?

Posted by: DC FURY | October 21, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

wow sorry about that i have no idea why it posted three times

Posted by: DC FURY | October 21, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse