New Deal For Johnson

Quick note: the Caps re-signed backup goaltender Brent Johnson to a two-year extension today, meaning the 29-year-old is under contract through the 2008-09 season. Johnson's game has improved dramatically over the past year and he's one of most popular guys in the dressing room. More in tomorrow's paper.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 12, 2007; 2:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Alex
Next: Minor Lineup Changes

Comments

Good news -- if Johnson can continue taking about one-third of the starts then Olie (and Johnson) will be in better health and hopefully avoid any late-season slumps.

Posted by: OrderedChaos | January 12, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Cannot agree more on your opinion of Johnson. He is backup.

He can play like Brodeur one day and well, like Johnson, another day. Can let a soccer ball thru five-hole from a blue line.

I suggest him to ask or hire someone to slap him really hard several times before the game where he starts. That will wake him up and this is all he needs. I think he has some form of ADD (it's not an insult, a lot of great and famous had it)

I am actually not kidding. I noticed on field-and-track events sprinters slap themselfs before the start. I've never seen it before, like 10(?) years ago. Someone tried it and found it very effective. Tell to to Johnson if you can. :-)

Posted by: Pete | January 12, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Pete! thats pretty harsh!

Johnson got a raw deal in St Louis under Quenville (who was/is under criticism om Colorado for his handling of the goalie situation there).

As a cap he has over a .90 save pctg I believe..and thats saying alot behind our ineffective defense and generally inexperienced team.

In addition I've heard mentioned about a 1000 times that he is a great guy to have in the locker room.

Great move by McPhee (one of his few outside of the no brainer pick of Ovechkin)

Posted by: Tinner | January 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Pete! thats pretty harsh!

Posted by: Tinner | January 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Pete! thats pretty harsh!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

No it's not harsh. There are days when, if you don't know what's going on, think why Kolzig is #1 and Brent is #2, and not vise versa.

For Brent it is mental. He has all the DNA, reflexes and techniques to be #1 goalie in the NHL. But he ended up to be Chris Osbad backup, for God's Sake. How can you go lower?

As I said, ask someone to slap him before the start, it will help. :-)

Posted by: Pete | January 12, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

An excellent move by the Caps. Providing the locker room with stability and securing a quality player for another two years.

Posted by: Capital Fanatic | January 12, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm re-posting this article on the condition of Sasha Pokulok from the Harrisburg Patriot-News, because there's been new topics since I first posted it.
I'd say things don't look so good..

Posted by: Oneal | January 12, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

And while I'm in a posting mood, what the hell could Ben Clymer have been thinking when he knocked that puck backwards in his own zone last night? Sent it back behind the net as the rest of the team began looking up ice. Tampa's not great but they've got talented guys who don't need help like that. I know he scored a goal but -13 is by far the worst on the team, and last night we saw why. I feel like Kolzig "shouldered" a little too much of the blame after-wards.. that one's on Clymer

Posted by: Oneal | January 12, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

> what the hell could Ben Clymer have been thinking when he knocked that puck backwards

I am not defending Clymer, it sucked big time, but he could've done it 100 times on another team and nothing would happen.

I felt like we were beaten by a skill, and that what makes this loss tough. You can outskate, outwork another team in terms of burned calories, but if they beat you with skill, that what makes it hard to swallow.

Kolzig is clearly upset because, as he said, he was one fraction close to prevent the goals he was talking about and he couldn't. When opposing team has better timing and skill than you, it is tough. And Bolts had better timing and skill by Vinny, St. Louis, Prospal yesterday. Just like Hanlon said, we lost because we let 5 goals in. Kolzig maybe was not at his best, but it happened before and the team still would get the win.

Posted by: Pete | January 12, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

What does Johnson's signing say about Cassivi, Daigneault and Varlamov? Varlamov is more than 2 years away, so that's fine, but it looks like the Caps are giving up on Daigneault like they did on Ouellet. And you gotta feel bad for a guy like Cassivi who does all the right things but can't secure a spot in the NHL.

Posted by: Bret | January 15, 2007 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Brent Johnson is as good as just about any backup goaltender in the league. When he's on, there's no dropoff in starting him as compared to Kolzig. Kolzig's more consistent and obviously highly respected throughout the league, but Johnson's a very commendable able backup. Coming here from another NHL market, I can tell you most teams would kill for a backup of his caliber. It's just that when Ollie lets in a softie, we all give him a break based on the good will built up over his brilliant career, but when Johnson lets one in, it's like 'darnit, Ollie would've stopped that', whether he would have or not.

Posted by: New Caps fan | January 15, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Not sure Kolzig is gonna be able to bridge the gap till we get can develop a new #1 guy. I love olie as much as anybody but seams to me he had 3 d infront of him for a couple of his really good years.
no shortage of good backups in the NHL.

Posted by: LIVINIT | January 15, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse