NHL suspends Letourneau-Leblond for instigating in loss to Caps

The NHL has suspended Devils forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for one game without pay for instigating a fight with rookie Caps center Marcus Johansson last night.

Letourneau-Leblond, who sought out Johansson during the fight-filled last five minutes of Saturday's game, also was assessed slashing, fighting and a game misconduct. He will forfeit $2,822.58 in pay. In addition, Coach John MacLean has been fined $10,000. The Devils host the Capitals on Nov. 22.

"He asked me at the faceoff if I wanted to go, and I said, 'No,'" Johansson said last night. "I'm happy the guys stood up for me."

By Lindsay Applebaum  | October 10, 2010; 6:26 PM ET
Categories:  Marcus Johansson, New Jersey Devils
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Johansson adapts to NHL's faster pace
Next: Michal Neuvirth to start against Senators

Comments

A penalty could not have happened to a more deserving guy than LeBlond!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

yeah if bruce was trying to stop the fighting by not putting erskine out there, STUPID!!! the devils cleary weren't trying to stop fighting and obviously they weren't done. trust me he won't do that again

Posted by: _stevo | October 10, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

-stevo - Bruce wasn't stupid for not putting in Erskine. It is not his job to "stop the fighting". Leave that up to the refs to control the game. By NOT putting in Erskine and playing into the Devil's coaching crap, Bruce avoided potential fines and suspensions for his players. I think he did well to let the boys handle it themselves.

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

bruce wasn't going to avoid fines, it was to protect his own players!!!...point and case with PL3 jumping marcus. trust me bruce won't let it happen again this year

Posted by: _stevo | October 10, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

This fella's name really brings to light another problem facing us - the one of hyphenated names. Used to be just upper crust Englishmen would do this, but in Orlando anyway it was becoming extremely popular at least amoung one other cutural group. Now this begs the question - what happens when two hypenated people have a child? Do we get four last names with three hyphens? And just when does it end? If I were President, the first thing I'd do, after declaring hockey the national sport, and of course after declaring that the "center" of American politics for that day would be wherever the Caps are playing, even if that would be in Canada, is to outlaw hyphenated names. Just like you have to pick one political party, you can't be in two at the same time, and you can't be citizen of two states at the same time, you pick one last name and go with it.

Otherwise in the meantime we shall be content with referring to PLcubed as an "idiot-moron" and a "dirtbag-scum."

And why did his parents have to compound the hyphenated last name with a hyphenated first name(s)? Were they drinking or what? And, finally, does he have a middle name and is that hyphenated too?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 10, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

that's right, BB should have put in all his skilled players against the goons on the Devils and put up 10 goals!!!

that's Caps' hockey!!!!!

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

wonder if this dude is somehow related to Mary Kay Letourneau...

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Bruce did fine. I'm not sure who exactly was on the ice the last couple of minutes but I'm sure Ovie would have loved a chance at a hat trick. He stayed on the bench. These guys can all take a bit of the rough stuff, but while it would have been stupid to throw out the top players into the mess, there was no need to continue the provocation by inserting Erskine. We won, nobody was hurt, the Devils lost big-time and looked like fools doing so. A player was suspended and fined, as was the coach. Now... what are we in for the next time these teams meet?

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Bears win at Rochester tonight 4-3. Goals by Aucoin (2), Fahey, and A.Gordon. Holtby in net; late in the game with Rochester goalie pulled, Holtby took a shot at the empty net and apparently missed by about a foot.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

did anyone else notice the 2 errors in the Tracee Hamilton column this morning?

Posted by: casser | October 10, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Casser,

Nope, I'm not wasting my time reading her column.

Posted by: NatyPete | October 10, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

It's not uncommon for the French (and French Canadians) to have hyphenated first names. Witness: Jean-Luc Picard, Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. And Zach Parise's father was named Jean-Paul.

I didn't know the French did hyphenated last names these days but they used to have alternate surnames for different branches of the same family. Example: Ron Guidry, the former Yankee pitcher, was from a family whose original last name was Guedry (with accent over the "e"). The name evolved to Guidry. Another branch of the Guedry family ended up with the "dit Labine" suffix (meaning "called" Labine) and that branch ended up with the last name Labine (the family that eventually produced old Dodger pitcher, Clem Labine.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

casser: the online version now has a note correcting the thing about 11 rookies in the lineup. But she also included Neuvy among the 1st rounders, only to later state that he was taken in the second round. Doesn't anyone proofread the stories anymore?

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

@casser

She said that Neuvirth was the youngest goalie to start in an opener since Jim Carrey. Last year, Theo started the opener in Boston while Varley started the home opener (vs Toronto). If we count last year's home opener as an opener, Neuvirth would not be the youngest goalie to start one, given that Varly is a month younger than Neuvy

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Caps-Fan-75:

It's amazing you know all that stuff.

tom-in-so-cal-1

aka

Tom-Luc Inso-LeCal

ps: Guidry was from Louisiana? Didn't he have a nickname like Louisiana Lightning? One year he went like 24-3 and was as unhittable as you could get, although I do believe O's beat him once that year when Doug DeCinces hit about a 475-foot homer in Yankee Stadium.

My God. That was some 35 years ago, and it seems like yesterday. My time must be getting short. I hope the Caps win soon.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 10, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I really like that the NHL fined the NJ coach. Maybe that will send the message because ultimately the coaches can stop the fighting. I think this instigator warrants more than one game but the NHL might be trying to help Lou out because he is already in salary cap hell. Not sure how long Volchenkov will be out if at all. With the suspension the Devils will only be dressing 17 skaters next game if Volchenkov is ready to go.

Personally I'm glad BB didn't put Erskine out there. Erskine a tough guy that would undoubtedly go but I worry about him a little since he suffered the concusion a couple of years ago. He's been much more selective about his fighting by not taking part in the staged ones since then, just the ones that happen in the heat of the moment. I enjoy the fights but stalking an unwilling 20 year old rookie is BS.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 10, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock

exactly!! PL3 was out there to fight anybody, he picked marcus (coward). i know as anyone who knows hockey knows, he was going to fight anybody. Why not just put the only person (erskine) that could handle him? not saying the guys out there didnt't step up, but why risk it, no one got hurt thankfully. Everybody would have a different tone if Marcus got a concussion from a punch or something

Posted by: _stevo | October 10, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Gotta add my two-cents: Carlson gets the proverbial "mad props" for how quickly and energetically he got in there to protect the little guy. Man, what a game from him. Love the youtube that shows him yelling at L-L, "What the F was that??!!" after the scrap.

And tomin, is your overwhelmingly Francophobe bias mainly directed at hyphenated last names or are you equally incensed by hyphenated firsts?

'Cus, if the latter, we're gonna have words . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 10, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Yup, Guidry was from Louisiana and known as the Louisiana Lightning. In an interesting note, when I went to New Orleans years ago, I looked up Guidry in the phone book and there were lots of Guidrys, 5 of them named Ron. In another note, when Ron Guidry was drafted by the Yankees, he had heard the news on TV but thought nothing about it since he had a cousin by that name who also played baseball. Then, the Yankees called and the rest was history.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Like you, I agree with the suspension of LaBlond and fining the coach. Maybe the NHL Czar of discipline went comparatively easy on him due to their Cap situation.

Note, not only did Volchenkov get injured but Rolston got injured as well. So if they're both out, the Devils are in a heap of trouble for their next game and will not be able to dress a full lineup. By my count, they have only 1 spare on their roster when everyone is healthy. (I'm not counting the LTIR people.) So, it's 19 skaters total but they may be down to 16, between the injuries and suspension. Will the backup goalie have to double as a skater instead of sitting on the bench?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Curious, but, why do you know so much about the etymology of names? Hobby? Job? It's a fascinating subject to have knowledge of, albeit, somewhat unique.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 10, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

yeah, you wonder what kind of thought goes into the editing.(if there is any)

Posted by: casser | October 10, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

I'll admit the etymology of names is a hobby of mine. I had taken both Latin and French back in High School, so I got a little knowledge of names from that source. And studied German in college (since I was tired of French and German was the language I really wanted to take but it was not available at my HS.) I probably picked up a little Spanish by osmosis. And had learned about Russian names by being a fan of a certain character on Star Trek.

By trade, I am in IT and crunch numbers.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@stevie_in_gp

On the props to Carlson for trying to protect the little guy; i.e. Johansson. Ironically, Johansson is less than a year younger than Carlson, as in 9 months younger.

Meanwhile, from my vantage point last night, Johansson looked so small last night. I almost thought I was seeing Perreault. (Maybe it was the fact that he was with Perreault's typical line mates, Fehr and Chimmer.)

I know that MarJo is only 5'11. Somehow he seemed to look "bigger" in rookie camp.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

So stevo who should have been the 5 guys out there? Since the L3 guy went after a guy who didn't want to fight anyway what good would Erskine have been? He could have been the guy who jumped on the L3 after he tried to fight MJ. It is not like he looked for someone willing to fight. If he had put Erskine out there and he fought then what next shift? I am sure NJ had another guy who would gladly look for a fight so you do you put out then?

NJ and the NHL are lucky that MJ was able to turn around and face the guy so we didn't have another Steve Moore. I am fine with fighting in hockey to spark a team ect. But what the NHL needs to cut down on is stuff like this which in noting more then hunting on ice and the fights that happen after a clean hard hit. I good hit should not require a guy to fight after.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 11, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I just caught this quote for the first time, from Corey Masiak on NHL.com. Man, Knuble is a gem:

"Added Knuble: 'I hadn't seen that in a while – a tough guy going after somebody like [Johansson]. I don't know if he's trying to validate his purpose or what. Guys get wound up a little different, but to me he just lost his marbles a little bit.'"

Posted by: Justafan | October 11, 2010 5:16 AM | Report abuse

And Stevo, you have to let go of this idea that it was a major screwup for BB to refrain from putting Erskine on the ice. No. 1, I agree that it would have done nothing to stop PLL from going after Johansson. Second, MacLean's getting fined for putting PLL out there; there is no reason for BB to compound that error.

Caps did great. Stood up to the idiocy, and won huge. Props to the whole team, including BB.

Posted by: Justafan | October 11, 2010 5:51 AM | Report abuse

I love Knuble..."he lost his marbles a little bit" priceless! I think it is interesting how similar Laich is turning out to be to Knuble. Both just say it how it is, both are net presence (hopefully Laich will continue to improve), and both are great leaders and very mature for hockey players (granted knuble is older with a couple kids).

I was thinking that after Laich's hockey player career is over, I bet he has some serious coaching potential.

Posted by: capscoach | October 11, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

So the caps whoop up on a top eastern conference team. Chase a HOF goalie after two periods. Stand up for themselves in every aspect, and yet there remain some here who want to complain about what BB did at the end of the game. Never cease to be amazed at the comments here.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 11, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, don't be all pleased with the NHL for fining the coach. That's automatic, it's in section 46.12 and 46.22 of the NHL rulebook. An instigator in the last five minutes of the game or anytime in overtime nets the player a minor for instigating, a fighting major, a ten-minute misconduct, a game misconduct, an automatic one-game suspension, and a $10K fine to the coach. See here for details.

As for Bruce - lay off. He did the right thing and the best thing for everyone involved. There was no percentage in continuing the madness, and that is all that would have happened had he put Erskine on the ice. The Devils lost and looked like fools in the process, and none of our players were hurt, fined, or suspended.

I expect 3 things to happen the next time we play the Devils: (1) King gets a sweater (2) We get McCreary as a ref (if he's still refing) (3) At least one NHL official and probably Colin Campbell pays the Rock a visit that night. I say (2) because the NHL deliberately assigns senior refs to games they think can get out of hand, and the last meeting between these two teams did. McCreary is the most senior ref in the game, as much of a pain as he is, and theNHL is likely to look to him to ensure that a repeat of this game does not happen.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 11, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Noticed one of today's articles was written by Tarik. I thought he was covering basketball or golf or MMA or something else I don't typically follow, no?

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 11, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

@megatroll1
If you followed on a regular basis you would know that Tarik is just filling in for the weekend because Katie had a prior commitment.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 11, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

The french canadian women do not take their spouses's name at marriage. They can hyphen their name to their husband's. So, upon a Marie Leblond, marrying a Paul Letourneau, she could change her name to Marie Leblond-Letourneau or Letourneau-Leblond, or simply retain Marie Leblond. She could not become Marie Letourneau. Their children could be any of these names, including the hyphenated versions. Brothers and sisters do not need to have the same hyphenated names. Only two hyphenated names can be used. When I lived in Montreal, I knew a guy who's father was named Francois Hache-Leblanc. His mother's name was Jeanne Ferland-Leboeuf. The son took the name Michel Leboeuf-Hache (which means literally "ground beef").

Hockey-wise, I believe that MJ should have made his transition to North American hockey by a stint in Hershey. It's not always just about skills and I am really surprised that GMGM made the decision that he did.

Posted by: atybat | October 11, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

atybat: Thanks for clearing up the hyphenated names thing. I was really wondering.

Must make it really tough if you have like eight kids and you are filling out all their names on income tax forms.

"Hmmm...is my third son LeBlanc-LaRouge or LaRouge-LeBlanc?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 11, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 10, 2010 8:14 PM

@tom:

With you 100% on that one. I can't stand hyphenation myself--it's silly and pretentious. I deal with the Government alot, and very often I'll encounter people with hyphenated names. Many (but not all, of course) such people seem to give off an attitude that says:

"I have a higher education...
from a more prestigious college...
My paycheck is larger...
My children are smarter and better-adjusted...
And my carbon footprint is smaller...
than yours."

Some people call me sexist on this one--particularly if they take me out of context. But I have always believed that when she marries, a woman should take her spouse's last name...or not!!!. The "or not" part is, IMHO, very important. Now, I do not support the continuation of tired, outmoded gender roles. I'm just saying that the person in quesiton should get off of the $%@&=* fence and stop acting as though indecision is a virtue!

(End Rant)

Oh, and one other thing:
NHL Rule # 606.08.42 clearly states that any player who has both a hyphenated first name and a hyphenated last name must forfeit his middle name in order to comply with the Name Cap.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 11, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Just curious, how do most coaches start off their careers...obviously they moslty played in the league, but how do they start getting into coaching? b/c I think Laich could make a great coach after his playing career is over.

So we face the two only teams that had winning records against us last season in a row. Hope the grit and determination from last game carries over.

Posted by: capscoach | October 11, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

1 game suspension is mandatory so it amounts - so far - to no penalty at all, just what is automatic. Would be better if they tacked on at least 2 additional games to the suspension.

What was J-L-LeLe thinking?? That's the problem with that species of player - what was Koci thinking when he elbowed Green in the head last year? What was Bickel doing throwing an elbow to Datsyuk's head the other night or on his cheap shot on Duchesne? Those guys are not following a code and you wonder what their coaches are thinking.

They have film - that crap should be punished. The dinosaurs are in charge.

Still, was the attack on MJ in retaliation for something the Caps did (besides play an excellent game)?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 11, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@red

It was not a retaliation hit at all...it was an I am embaressed and pi***d off so i am going to fight the first guy in my eye line hit.

Posted by: capscoach | October 11, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Agree with stevo, Erskine should have been out there, there's no excuse once BB or the assistants saw PL3 out there.

@icehammer, what difference does it make what other 4 guys are out there as long as Erskine is out there to negate PL3. Clarkson was gone, Pelley was gone, who else was make trouble but the one guy they put out there?

Again, this was a great game, but BB is playing with fire not protecting his players. And he makes himself sound whiny when he starts in with his non-fighting comments.

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 11, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz, if King gets a sweater in Jersey isn't that just continuing the madness?

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 11, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@fletch

you think Erskine should have been out htere at the end, but don't think King should get a sweater to protect our players in the re-match? King will listen to BB and only fight if there is a good reason. But I REALLY don't want Green or OV or Backie starting something up b/c they think they have to...leave that to 650,000 a year king.

Posted by: capscoach | October 11, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Capscoach, I didn't mean to imply that. I should have clarified that a bit. I absolutely think King should get a sweater just about every game. Especially against tough EC teams. Why trade for him just to sit him? I just thought kittpawz was contradicting herself when she talked about ending the madness.

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 11, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

joek443

thats what i was saying to the guys sitting next to me...we should have the #1 powerplay unit out their fir the rest of the game and run up the score...a great home opener nonetheless

Posted by: bonusbaseball | October 11, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The one-game suspension on a good like LeBlond and a $10K fine to the coach isn't sending a message. If the NHL wants to get serious about the instigator penalties at the end of the game, there should be a minimum 5 or 10-game suspension handed out. I'm not sure of the rules, but the Devils should be forced to play with one less skater (17 instead of 18) as part of LeBlond's suspension. If they are allowed to play someone else while LeBlond is suspended, it has no effect.

Next game vs. the Devils, I'm sure BB will give DJ King a sweater and we'll see a fight early in the game against one of NJ's goons like LeBlond or the one that fought Chimera late in the game. Not that I enjoy fighting that much, but it was important that Chimera stood up for the team and let the Deveils know they wouldn't get away with the intimidation stuff at the end of a blow out.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 11, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

As an update, NJD put Letourneau-Leblond on waivers today.

Posted by: jcurrin | October 11, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse