New Radio Deal For Caps

The Caps and Bonneville International have reached a two-year deal that will put all 82 games on Bonneville stations.

And from the sounds of it, you may even be able to hear the broadcasts, which was a common complaint I received from fans in recent years.

I'm told there could be conflicts with Nats games in the spring, and when there is a conflict, the Caps will get bumped to another Bonneville station. The Nats' schedule, of course, isn't out yet.

The new Talk Radio 3WT, on 1500 AM, 107.7 FM and 820 AM, will be the flagship station for the broadcasts, carrying Capitals games plus pre- and postgame shows on some of the region's strongest radio signals.
Capitals radio play-by-play announcer Steve Kolbe returns for his 11th season of calling the action. Former Capital Ken Sabourin returns for his fifth season of providing analysis at all Capitals home games.
In addition to game broadcasts, Talk Radio 3WT will carry a weekly one-hour Capitals magazine show on Saturday nights at 6 p.m. A variety of promotional elements will air on Talk Radio 3WT and Bonneville sister station WTOP (103.5 FM and 103.9 FM), including commercials, community relations and public service announcements, game promotions and station identification reads.

No one has been hired to host the weekly show yet.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 30, 2007; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fleischmann, Klepis Expected at Camp
Next: Ovechkin Update

Comments

WOW, finally what seems to be area wide coverage.

Posted by: sidehillman | August 30, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

AWE-SOME.
Does this have anything to do with Ted's blowup with the other station?

Posted by: Sweet | August 30, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

That is awesome. Hope they fare better than WaPo radio did.

Posted by: HolyOlie | August 30, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Sweet! I Think more of just a funny cooincidence than Ted's blowup. I radio deal like this couldn't happen so quickly, could it? Or maybe it could in which you could be right sweet!
Also I live in Frederick and 820 is our station up here so it is awesome!

Posted by: Dave | August 30, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Holy cow, this is huge! The 1500 signal is far and away one of the most powerful in the whole area. This puts caps games up in Baltimore and all the way out to the Shenandoah. And no more getting shafted onto the awful 570 signal when 980 feels like being jerks. Big time congradulations to Ted for taking one of the best steps forwards in terms of team coverage in team history.

Posted by: EricS | August 30, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Excellent news! I used to remember when the Caps games were on 1500 back in the 80's. They should never of left.

Good riddance to 980. Phil Wood's now the only reason I listen to the station, and that's only if I'm able to wakeup early on Saturday mornings.

Posted by: El Kabong | August 30, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Good news - last year, could barely pick up games on the car radio while driving.

But maybe it's time to move on from Kolbe and Sabourin. Sabourin's color commentary is limited to "yeah, that's a good play" and "it's really important to play defense" and other such gems. It's almost painful to listen to.

A far cry from the days in which I would turn down the audio on the tv and listen to Ron Weber while watching games.

Wonder what Ron's doing these days...maybe bring him back?

Posted by: katzistan | August 30, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Gosh golly gee. I just hate to have this imposter dragging my name through the mud. I'm so loved around here, like a god really, so this is quite upsetting to me.

Posted by: Finn | August 30, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JOe | August 30, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I really think Kolbe and Sabourin are horrible. Sabourin's color is really awful. 99% of his after goal calls are him waiting for the greenlight to talk from Kolbe, then he breaks into

"yeah that was just a good play from Calrky, Ov, Zubie, etc."

Really deep.

Posted by: Finn | August 30, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

ah an FM station we can hear in Fredericksburg, great. Now if we could only get rid of Locker and Joe B.

Posted by: dorgeloh | August 30, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Any of these stations available via internet broadcast?

Signed,
Far Far Away

Posted by: austinsteve | August 30, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Czaban and Pollin had anything to do with it. If this was done for anything other than good business reasons it would be stupid. Maybe Bonneville, having just scrapped the entire format of that station, is scrambling for content and gave the Caps a lower price for carrying the games. Maybe it's because the signal is much stronger than 980's signal, and much, much, much stronger than 570's signal. Those would be good reasons for making the change. Getting revenge against Czaban and Pollin would be a stupid reason.

Posted by: norske | August 30, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what Bonneville station the Caps could ever get bumped to unless it's the unlistenable at night WFED. WTOP won't break off of news format and 104.1 is being run by Radio One.

Posted by: Everett W. | August 30, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

No, of course, it was done as "revenge" on Pollin and Czaban. But I think Pollin and Czaban had EVERYTHING to do with it in the sense that the recent blowup was just emblematic of the way that WTEM treated the Caps as second class citizens. And that WAS the reason it was done.

Posted by: Jim | August 30, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

the weekly caps show that aired on 980 last season was awful! frank hanrahan (sp?) wouldn't know a hockey puck if it hit him in the head. here's to hoping that this season's show is much better.

Posted by: jon | August 30, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Bonneville does stream its radio stations. There isn't a site up for "3WT" since it doesn't yet exist but wwwtradio.com and 3wtradio.com have been reserved. Alternate station WFED has a site with a webstream at federalnewsradio.com in place.

I don't believe that radio streams of NHL games are blacked out, someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Posted by: Everett W. | August 31, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Who said they want Weber back??? Sabourin is a step up from Weber who would tell you where a guy is from, then deliver a 5 minute lesson on that place. While missing some beautiful breakaways, nice passing, and edge-of-the-seat moments.

I had season tickets at the Capital Centre in section 111 where the red and blue met. The guy behind me used to bring his radio and we would ask him to shut it off. Weber would NEVER report a fight. Weber would miss beautiful puck movement. He once described a penalty shot as, "He picks up the puck at the center-line [silence] scores." The beautiful deke to fake the goalie out of his pads never made it on the air.

I heard a fellow at my sons game a few years ago who was just doing play-by-play for the fun of it in the penalty box. HE was good.

Posted by: Steve S, sect 411 | August 31, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Looks like Ted was serious when he recently trashed Czaban and Pollin. Good work Ted."

So, you like the owner with his Depends in a knot? This WAS a strong move by Ted but Andy and Steve weren't the cause or the reason. This is much-a-do about something that is far too long coming.

Posted by: caphcky | September 4, 2007 8:09 AM | Report abuse

so wrong caphacky

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Thats what i thought....

Posted by: caphcky | September 4, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm troubled about games conflicting with the Nats being put on WFED...this would mean that the last few games of the regular season and the PLAYOFFS would be essentially not broadcast on radio (44 Watt night signal; interference from ESPN 1050 NY :-O). Hopefully, they'll resolve that situation by April...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse