New Sweater Number For Alzner

The Caps' new No. 1 defenseman, Karl Alzner, will indeed wear No. 27 in his second NHL game tonight, the team confirmed moments ago. Growing up, Alzner was a big fan of Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer, who, of course, also wears No. 27.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 28, 2008; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Injury Update
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

Too Funny! From John Walton's Bears blog:

"If you heard of Tom Poti's injury and wondered if it might affect the blueline in Hershey, your fears were well grounded. The Capitals announced Friday morning that Bryan Helmer has been signed to an NHL contract and recalled. We found out yesterday boarding the bus that this was going to happen, because Bryan stayed behind to make the journey to D.C. today. The Bears in turn have signed defenseman Patrick Wellar to a professional tryout contract. Wellar had been playing this year in Reading (ECHL). Doug Yingst called the Royals yesterday just prior to our departure, and we literally picked up Wellar on our way to Albany. Really. Stopped off Route 61 and met him in the Rite Aid parking lot on Thanksgiving Day, threw his equipment bag underneath the bus and continued on our way."

Posted by: tess2201 | November 28, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

i heard he had to pay reid doughty 20 stacks for that jersey number...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

tess: That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing :)

I picture in my mind scenes from the movie Slapshot, only they're the Bears!

If we can't laugh at all this misfortune, we'll have a breakdown - at least, I speak for myself ;)

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, tonight should be interesting. What's the +/- for how many players put the puck into their own net tonight?

We just need to keep scoring! Alex, you know what to do.

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

So I have a question for Management. If Hershey fans come to the game tonight, can they use their season tickets to get in?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Glad I didn't order my Alzner Jersey yet...would have been the wrong #.
Damn, is this a chapter in Bruce's book......my oh my.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.,
Yes, you are correct. However, the games will not be played at the Verizon Center anymore, they will be played in Hershey. Just to make it more comfortable for the new team.

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

greg,
bears STH are allowed only if a cap STH can't go. heard a couple in my section turned ankles heading up the stairs on wednesday and are game time decisions. stay by the phone, you may get the callup.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

why the hell didnt he just wear 27 the other night, was he afraid we were going to sign ben clymer due to the injuries?

Posted by: ahbest3 | November 28, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

darn! i liked Karl as #47.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Think of this for a minute. Semin's missed 7 games in the last 13 days since he's been injured, and he's STILL on top in the power rankings.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

ahbest,
he probably didnt want to look like a pushy rookie. now that he's got one game under his belt, he's feeling cocky. actually, they probably didn't have any 27's lying around for wednesday but had the 47's from preseason...not sure if they have a team seamstress who does all of that or if they have to order them....

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I just wondered since it seems like the Hershey Bears are all down here in DC that if they want to see THEIR team... :D

Posted by: Greg S. | November 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: irockthered | November 28, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

damn, there are games playing right now. Bos is beating the isles and Philly is beating the Canes.

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

B-E-A-R-S Bears, Bears, Bears
B-E-A-R-S Bears, Bears, Bears
B-E-A-R-S Bears, Bears, Bears
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Might wear my Bourque 17 Bears jersey tee tonight!

Posted by: Roose | November 28, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

1 game in the show and he starts changing his number.Can we say heavy maintenance? Take what they give you rookie until you earn a change.

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2,
Karl didn't ask for the change, the Media Relations staff remembered his preference and spoke with GMGM about it.

See here:

Posted by: Gustafsson | November 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

knee/groin/ankle injuries

Poti (knee) - 10/16 @ pitts
Poti (groin)- 11/26 home
Federov (ankle)- 11/06 home
Morrison (groin) - 11/06 home
Kozlov (knee) - 10/13 home

caps have played 13 games at home and 10 on the road.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

8-0-1=13?

Posted by: ahbest3 | November 28, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

dcsportfan, last I checked, we're 8-0-1 at home, 9 games played at home.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

ok. 9 home/ 13 roadies...sorry.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1

interesting. All groin/ankles at home.

The question for who go to games regularly: is the ice improved since last year? It was not good on the only game I went this year (NJ).

Posted by: mauree | November 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

All the venom for Alzner just because he didn't play like Bobby farkin Orr during his first game.
Ease off, he was just nervous. As would each of you idiots.

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | November 28, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

mauree, i havn't been to all the games. but take a look at the rink when the lights are up after they zam the ice. lots of puddles in the ruts. tells me the ice isn't nearly cold enough. not cold=not hard=bad.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

someone should report the ice to the company that carries medical insurance for the caps and suggest they increase premiums until the ice is brought up to nhl standards..what a joke

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

or maybe the media relations department should worry about lobbying for ice instaed of worrying about Karl getting his special number.....strange priority list

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2
Why does it bother you so much that Alzner changed numbers? It's not like they were saving #27 for you...

Posted by: tess2201 | November 28, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Not much will happen about the ice at the phonebooth because Abe Polin doesn't want to pay for an upgraded system. Until Abe sells his majority ownership in the building, the ice will be mediocre, esp. when it's warm and humid. The NHL suggested ice level dehumidifiers to help the ice get harder and Abe vetoed it -- last year. Expect more ankle, knee, and groin injuries in early/late season play.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 28, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2,
That's not their job.

Posted by: Gustafsson | November 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

why cant they make it part of their advertising campaign.."come see the red hot caps get hurt on their melting ice"

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik,

Thanks again for your outstanding coverage of the Caps and their injury situation. I also tip my hat to Katie on her morning read entries as well.

I have a suggestion for a blog entry or even a paper article: discuss the outcomes of an interview with the Caps training staff.

It would be interesting to hear their take on how they're coping with all of these injuries. I'm sure they're scrambling right now.

With no disrespect intended, that team might need to make some adjustments as well.

Posted by: Terptwin | November 28, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Since when did all the players get hurt on home ice? Last I checked, most of them got hurt on the road. For those of you that think the ice sucks - well, if it posts a 8-0-1 record, then so be it. Even longer if you go back to last season.

wendel2, Ovechkin did not say bless you when Backstrom sneezed... he should be fined!

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

We should fix the ice as Schultz broke his finger because of it, Clark and his fractured arm, and Green with his shoulder injury from the hit from Pronger in Anaheim...

Who else had injuries caused by the terrible ice at the VC?

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I thought #27 was retired for Clymer?

Posted by: Hooch5 | November 28, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Who else had injuries caused by the terrible ice at the VC?

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:26 PM
--------------------
Expanding on your thought...why is it only the Caps who are injured by the ice? If it's so terrible you would think the visiting teams would be dropping like flies too.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 28, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

828, the point is, injuries like knees, ankles, groin can be (i repeat, can be. not saying they can all be attributed to it) caused by bad ice. the point is the team has a lot of them right now and it seems like many of them are happening on home ice. nobody (except for you) is suggesting the other "contact" injuries have anything to do w/ vc ice.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

tess, the answer is that the caps play all of their home games on vc ice, visiting teams have played once so far this year. perhaps other teams have been hurt on vc ice, i haven't looked into it.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1,
So, my point was else was hurt because of the ice? Poti?, Semin was not, Gordon was not. Feds got hurt at an away game. So, who has been hurt on home ice?

That's all I was asking. As of now, I think Poti - may be the only one that was injured because of the ice - even then, it's probably doubtful. you say many of them are happening on home ice - WHO?

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Where do you think all of our injuries came from - contact... not the ice.

Just sayin...

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

828 Did u fall on bad ice head first when u were younger?

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Here are MANY of your ice injuries:

Alexander Semin (back), Mike Green (shoulder) and Sergei Fedorov (ankle) have been sidelined, and on Monday, Chris Clark (stress fracture of forearm), Jeff Schultz (broken finger), Boyd Gordon (back) and John Erskine (undisclosed) were all injured. ~ from NHL.com Erskine, we know is a concussion.

POTI is the only one that has any sort of injury that relates to bad ice. Feds, it's possible, but I know he got hurt during an away game - I believe it was the Kings game.

So, how can you use the word - MANY? 2 of 8...

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 -- If these are correct, posted by dccapsfan1, then the ice quality is a serious consideration. Clearly, not all injuries are due to ruts, water, and all around chunky ice. That being said, if the ice quality can be improved and lessen injuries, I'm all for it. Not much one can do about getting slammed into the wall by Pronger -- besides avoiding the hit:

Poti (knee) - 10/16 @ pitts
Poti (groin)- 11/26 home
Federov (ankle)- 11/06 home
Morrison (groin) - 11/06 home
Kozlov (knee) - 10/13 home

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the VC now becuase when Ted gets the team, we're all going to have deal with rush hour traffic to see the Caps in Virginia, where all the signs make oh so much sense. Ever notice how people in Virginia give you directions with street names, but when you get to Virginia all the street signs have route numbers?

Posted by: oo7 | November 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

828,

it's on the list he posted, no?

He's listing the injuries that might - might not be - related to ice conditions.

Besides that, I was asking how is the ice... which should be fixed no matter what.

Chill dude, I'm not sure what angered you but we're just discussing.

Posted by: mauree | November 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Feds was hurt earlier on at a home game and reinjured his ankle out west, yes against the Kings

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

wendel2... you are asking me if I fell on my head when I was younger?

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@007
come on down to Fredericksburg, I'll give you directions on where you can go.

Posted by: billd2 | November 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

mauree - relax man, I am just point out that the ice was not causing MANY of the injuries like people are saying. It could have had something to do with a few, but how can that be proven? Maybe it's the skates, the tape job, etc...

I guess my point is - there is always something to complain about and you always seem to find it on here.

Posted by: _828 | November 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

828 ...if u are hurting and skate on bad ice it will aggravate the injury........we are just saying it is a shame that our players are negatively impacted by having to play on less that acceptable ice.

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was gonna be able to go tonight, but it looks like I'm still sidelined with a back injury. If anyone is interested in two aisle seats in Section 413, let me know ASAP so we can make arrangements. I'll monitor this thread for a while, and I'll post again if someone takes them.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@828

hehe ok, but nobody was saying all the injuries are ice-related. But you have to admit, even ONE ice-related injury is painful, cause it could be avoided and nothing is being done about it.

Besides injuries, bad ice is bad for hockey and I hate it.

Posted by: mauree | November 28, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

greg see if u can get the pills 828 takes they numb the entire body especially from the neck up

Posted by: wendel2 | November 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

828,
certainly there are lots of injuries do to normal hockey stuff. concussions, et al. just saying we have and have now in the past, had a lot of stuff not necessarily due to contact. maybe its in line with what other teams have, maybe it's bad luck, maybe its just that they all seem to be happening at once. its just that when they all happen in a short time and mostly on home ice where you have played less than half your games, well, one starts to wonder. plus it was a slow day at work and a boys mind wanders and the corporate firewall blocks...well, you get the picture.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 28, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The Canes beat the Flyers, so the pressure is on the Caps to stay atop the SE. Only 1 point ahead. I hope the Bearcaps can beat the Habs

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 28, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Why haven't the Caps dressed Brent Johnson and put him back on D? Hey, he's healthy... I think. Bet he would be a shot blocking maniac...

Posted by: Roose | November 28, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyway all joking and arguing aside, I'm being serious about those two tickets being available. :P

(You don't realize how important your back is until it stops working.)

I mean I guess if nobody takes them, I can always use that ticket exchange program to pick up a pair of seats to another game... hmm...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 28, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

wendel2 no need for that kind of attitude here - let's keep the discussion w/o insults :)

Roose: shot blocking maniac hahaha :)

Posted by: mauree | November 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought #27 was retired for Clymer?

Posted by: Hooch5 | November 28, 2008 3:29 PM
-------------------------------------------
If they weren't retiring it for Dave Christian, they're retiring it for no one.

Posted by: Section117 | November 28, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

tess, I nearly lost my water through my nose at that. Walton makes me laugh.
Just got back from DC. Will post a link to pictures from the Thrashers game later. Pictures from morning skate (what I saw, stupid metro) will take a bit longer. The new camera's a bit of a dinosaur and takes film.
First Caps game I've been to where the guys won. I'd forgotten how great the energy can be in that building. This injury bug is ridiculous. Hopefully it likes warm weather and will leave soon. Wishing the guys a speedy recovery and plenty of rest until then.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Koz was hurt when somebody took out his knee at the blue line. Can't chalk that one off to the ice.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 28, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Tampa lost 4-2 to Minnesota -- not much improved without Barry. I doubt many other SE teams are quaking over the owners' heady predictions.

Boston B-slapped the Isles 7-2. Beantown has the hottest team in the league -- scary good so far. Tim Thomas is just sick in goal.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 28, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve_R | November 28, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone planning to attend the AHL Awards Luncheon during which Bruce will be inducted into the AHL Hall of Fame? I live in the Boston area and wanna go, but don't know any Caps fans around here.

Here's the link for the event: http://www.ahlstore.com/index.html?i=527

Posted by: ranndino | November 28, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Bruins (my hometown team)... They debuted their 3rd jerseys today and they are hands down the best in the league. Looked absolutely marvelous on the ice.

Tomorrow's game vs. Detroit is sold out. Boston is becoming a hockey town again. Nice to see.

Posted by: ranndino | November 28, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

KA got pushed around all over the ice. Even Tarik mentioned it. He looked like he didn't belong, just looked weak when he had to engage the forward. He needs to add a lot more upper body strength.

good gawd I just saw our lineup tonight. That's an entire AHL defense out there!!

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 28, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse