New Unis to be Unveiled

Recently, I confirmed that the Caps will be returning to their former red, white and blue color scheme next season. Now, we know when we're going to see the new duds. The team plans to unveil the new uniform during its draft party at KCI on June 22, the first day of the NHL Entry Draft.

And before you ask, no, I haven't been able to get my hands on the design. But I'm working on it.

Here's a link to the team's release.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 23, 2007; 3:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ratings Suffering
Next: Second Round Predictions

Comments

So are they taking them to the draft in Columbus as well, or are they just going to be at the draft day party? I ask because I will be up in Columbus for the draft, and would like to see the new uni's as soon as I can.

Posted by: KP | April 23, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

They should go the way of the Wiz and get black shorts and gold sweaters. But that is good news. Hopefully the new jerseys wont incorporate as many stars as the vintage ones did though.

Posted by: While my Bashir Gently Weeps | April 23, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure who ever the Caps draft in Columbus will be putting on the new jersey. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Posted by: gusty161 | April 23, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I am glad to get rid of the color scheme we have now and going back to the vintage RW&B; but I am also scared of what the logo will look like after how the new Buffaslug logo turned out: *VOMIT*

Posted by: ihatethepens | April 23, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

KP, from the Caps release of this info on their website:

"The Capitals are the first team planning to have their new uniforms on hand at the NHL Entry Draft."

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | April 23, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

i am very afraid that the new uniform "system" is going to look really, really, really dumb.

Posted by: jamebow | April 23, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

hope they dont keep the same designs and just change the colors

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

im not a big fan of the new jerseys in the nhl, some are kinda sweet (coyotes) and some just seemed like an art student at community college designed it (the buffaslug...haha) and some are just really boring like the all the NEW 3rd jerseys (atlanta, minnesota, ect). im just really nervous, im neutral about the current jerseys. i think the caps should of done the 3rd jersey thing, and if people like it make it the real thing. as long as ours dont look as bad as the Ducks' new jersey does, ill be happy.

Posted by: timbers | April 23, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Some caller to the Sports Reporter show on WTEM said he had knowledge that the new logo will feature the old Capitals lettering with the Capital Dome in the background.

Posted by: Joe | April 23, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Great, new jerseys and same crappy cheap team.

Prove me wrong, Ted. PLEASE!

Posted by: Sapper | April 23, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Old Lettering? With the hockey stick for the letter "T" ?

YUCK!

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 24, 2007 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: caphcky | April 24, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

thats the first intelligent comment caphacky has made in a LONG time

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I just hope the numbers don't appear on the front. That looks dumb

Posted by: Graham | April 24, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

After watching Vancouver in their "retro" uniforms last night, I really hope the Caps don't go full-on "retro". I have no problem with the colors, but the design of the old RW&Bs was terrible...too many stars (stars on the jersey, stars on the pants), letters posing as hockey sticks, etc.

Posted by: Blueline | April 24, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sure whatever happens... half of the people will hate it and complain, and half of the people will waste their time trying to convince the others how cool it is."
-Graham

Truer words have never been spoken.

Posted by: slappy | April 24, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

off topic, but the stars v. canucks game last night was great. the look on Modano's face was heart breaking at the end though. I am sure the ample charms of Willa "Bad Girl Dancing with the Stars" Ford will comfort him though.

For those of you who havn't, you should check out the celebrity blogs on NHL.com. Ford's is truly (and unintentionally) hilarious.

Posted by: LB | April 24, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Glad they are going back tot he RW&B but pick a jersey and STAY with it this time. An organization that doesn't have tradition lacks a focus and a face!"

Posted by: Jay | April 24, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

They should use that type face from the old logo on EVERYTHING. Names, numbers, roster, etc. to really make you long for the days of the Capital Center. Anyone for dropping that white shoulder patch from the red jerseys? How about a nice blue third jersey, not like the Atlanta blue, but more of a Ranger blue.

Posted by: MdCapFn | April 24, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I always liked the old sweaters, stars and all. I'd like to see something that combines elements of the current sweaters, and the old ones, in the vein of what the Dallas Cowboys did a few years back, and the NY Jets.

Posted by: lordthrog | April 24, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

timbers wrote: "i think the caps should of done the 3rd jersey thing, and if people like it make it the real thing."

The current home jersey, the black dome jersey, was a third jersey. The original road jersey was a blue (an ugly blue in my opinion) version of the white jersey. The black jersey was introduced as the third jersey and then became the road/home jersey.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | April 24, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
I gotta say i'm have been disapointed with the posts coverage of the playoffs. I read the post print edition every day but have had to buy another paper (USA 2DAY) recently. Its too bad cause you really impressed me with the CAPS coverage this year.

Posted by: LIVINIT | April 24, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"You know, if regularly changing the dang jersey generates sufficient revenue to sustain a higher payroll allowing for a consistently contending team that picks up a Cup sometime in the next 10 years then so be it, lets change 'em every year."

ROFLMAO...let me know how that works out!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

There won't be anymore third jerseys FYI.

I want a nice fire engine red jersey. Something that will really catch the eye. Hopefully (in my dreams) F street will be like Calgary's red mile after a couple of playoff appearances.

Posted by: Graham | April 24, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I just hope its a deep red, and not a clown red like the all-star unis. I can't see red bottoms without thinking of clowns, just looks silly to me. Tho if they start winning, I don't care what they wear!

Posted by: Melissa | April 24, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"I just hope its a deep red, and not a clown red like the all-star unis."

or the former road (pajamas) uni's!

Posted by: caphcky | April 24, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

LIVINIT -- decisions about playoff coverage are made way above my head. I have zero say in the matter.

that said, when/if the caps return to the playoffs, The Post will step up its playoff coverage. You can bank on that.

Posted by: Tarik | April 24, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"doesnt make any sense jay, youre going to bankroll your team with money from jersey sales? uhhh"

Dude (or dudette)... it was a joke. Glad you could pick up on that. LOL

Graham, slight correction- there won't be any third jerseys next season. From there on it is expected teams will be allowed to create third jerseys once again.

Posted by: Jay | April 24, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
I understand, and trust me I'm not blaming you. just sounding off in the hopes that it might get passed along. There are still some folks out there that actually read the print edition. Like I said your CAPS coverage was well worth my $.35 this year even if it was on the last page for most of the season.

Posted by: LIVINIT | April 24, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

oh now its a joke

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

years ago when they first did away with the old RWB jerseys, then owner Abe Pollin had the Post print out test logo's to see what the publics reaction was. The two logos printed turned out to be the current eagle and capital building. I felt that it was a ploy that they had released the images for public input when it was really done to familiarize the images in the public mind. Sometime after Ted took over the team there were rumors that a new uniform was being designed in the RWB scheme. The eagle as a logo would stay but be redeigned and the jersey had a NY Ranger-ish look to it. It was even said that Tommy Hilfiger designed the logo and jersey himself so the red and blue were deeper colors in the Hilfiger tradition. And yes an image of the finished jersey was released. All said, I cant wait for the new look. Surprise me Ted!!!

Posted by: obxpalma | April 26, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse