Posted at 12:24 AM ET, 02/27/2011

Capitals shift momentum and score three unanswered goals to defeat Islanders 3-2

By Katie Carrera

The Capitals needed to win at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum Saturday night. After being embarrassed at home by the Rangers the night before, Washington couldn't force its collective moral and confidence to endure another significant blow.

That's why Coach Bruce Boudreau called a timeout in the second period with the Islanders in control of a two-goal lead. A few minutes after the Capitals killed a tripping penalty called against Brooks Laich not long following the timeout, Boudreau altered the top two line combinations as well. Both groups of forwards appeared to shift into an extra gear and help lead the Capitals' charge in the 3-2 come-from-behind victory against the Islanders.

Islander Frans "Nielsen's line was owning [the Capitals' top line]. It was all over Ovechkin, Knuble and Marcus so I had to do something," Boudreau said of the decision to switch the lines up. "I said: 'Well im going to roll the dice here and put Semin back on there and see how it works.' And then Laich went back to wing and him, Marcus and Mike Knuble I thought were the guys that led the way."

Washington started the contest with the top two lines arranged as Alex Ovechkin-Marcus Johansson-Mike Knuble and Nicklas Backstrom-Brooks Laich-Alexander Semin in part because things often get shaken up after a 6-0 loss the night before but also because Backstrom's thumb injury has limited his ability to take faceoffs.

When Boudreau re-arranged the combinations it was a more familiar Ovehckin-Backstrom-Semin and Laich-Johansson-Knuble combination. Semin displayed a particularly noticeable up-tick in his play and the second line managed to keep things simple by getting the puck in deep and wearing the Islanders defense down.

Knuble said that he believed the largest momentum shift in the contest came after Laich's goal made it 2-1 at the 9:44 mark of the second period, which was right after the lines had been swapped.

"It was kind of a quick play, it didn't look like anything was going to happen but he scored and that really gave us a shot in the arm," Knuble said. "It really perked up, you could see the momentum switch in the game. You could see what was happening, we started spending a lot of time in their end with some real good shifts and grinding."

After failing to score for 89:44, beginning with Friday's game against the Rangers, Laich said he thought the switch in the lines may have helped to break several players out of odd funks simultaneously.

"We hadn't scored in 30 minutes. You don't want to use the word stale but you look for some kind of spark," Laich said. "Our line just tried to get it deep and just tried to use our strength and our size and Marcus is great with his speed. We're able to turn it around with a goal here, Mike gets a goal and Semin scores a big one."

What was interesting about the Laich-Johansson-Knuble line serving as a catalyst for Washington's victory was that in the past, when Boudreau put the group together, they didn't always succeed. Against the Islanders though, they kept things simple and tried to play to their strengths with speed and crash-the-net capabilities.

"They hadn't been very good together, that's why we broke them up," Boudreau said. "Mike didn't have a very good first half of the game and he's such a pro that he just said 'Ok ive got to be better if im going to be a leader.' Marcus he just sometimes gets intimidated maybe playing with Ovi, I don't know but he wasn't his normal self, and he got on that line and he started to do really well. And I thought Brooks, it might have been his best game in who knows how long -- a long time."

By Katie Carrera  | February 27, 2011; 12:24 AM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, Brooks Laich, Marcus Johansson, Mike Knuble, New York Islanders
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Capitals at Islanders
Next: Michal Neuvirth bounces back to help keep Islanders at bay

Comments

I want to keep Knuble if he still wants to play after this season. He's the kind of savvy veteran the young 'uns need, and he doesn't sugarcoat things for the media. It's refreshing, to say the least. I just wish we had more players with his grit and character.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 27, 2011 12:35 AM | Report abuse

wocoliz: Yeah, but really, at how much?

He scored like (my memory is sketchy, and even more so when I drink, which is like always) 28 goals exactly for five straight years 2005-2010 and now he's WAY off that pace. As someone who analyzes manufacturing performance reports, this portends even worse performance next year.

In short, in layman's vernacular, he's getting old.

At $2.8M? No. At maybe $1M? OK.

If I'm Knuble, though, why do I want to deal with all the DC drama? I mean, the Caps are becoming like the Peyton Place of the NHL.

Gads! The heater just went on! I didn't realize I was moving to such a barbaric place!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 12:48 AM | Report abuse

He was a Flyer. He was taught well.

He's resisting the softening all he can but he'll succumb to it, too.

Just like he's succumbing to age unfortantely.

He does a lot of little things well too even when he isn't scoring. The same can't be said about some other players.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 12:48 AM | Report abuse

If Knuble does have any legs left or a desire to play beyond this season, I wouldn't be shocked if he's just itching to get out of this situation.

He says the right things and he's the epitome of a good vet presence of the ice but I think he smells the crap in the room. He thought he was coming to a better situation than he left in Philly after they moved on from him. How quickly things change.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Why not keep the skilled S-O-B line and the hardworking L-K-J line going? Good balance between the two lines.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 27, 2011 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I know which course of action I would choose, though.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 27, 2011 12:36 AM |

------------

βαρετό

Posted by: hessone | February 27, 2011 12:54 AM | Report abuse

What I'm waiting to hear is an in-depth thrashing of the Caps organization from a well-respected player once he leaves the team.

Morrison and Belanger touched on things but I'm talking some kind of detailed interview where it's clear that the respected play has no ulterior motives.

Maybe Knuble will offer his take on all things Capitals once he moves on. I'm talking everything from McPhee to Boudreau to the players.

He's a class guy so he probably won't say too many harsh things but you never know. I'm hoping something like that happens though, esp. from a player who has recently been in an organziation like that of the Flyers or Penguins.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 12:55 AM | Report abuse

tom, you're right about the drama, which is why we'd probably have to overpay him--say 1.25 or 1.5.

I want to keep him precisely because he DOES do the little things tmac is talking about. He can be (almost) invaluable as a clubhouse leader, which I think makes up for his diminishing skills. The "kids" obviously need to see that kind of work ethic every day.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 27, 2011 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I would have kept Semin OVI and Back together all year. What the heck do you have to lose?

Posted by: pkme | February 27, 2011 12:57 AM | Report abuse

And to the poor mathematician that said we were up 12 pts on the 9th spot, try again.

First, you have to take games in hand.

Second, it's only 11 pts.

If Buff were to win their 2 games in hand, we'd be up 7 on them.

And we're up 9 on Carolina.

Still about 20 games to go. An extended losing streak could change everything.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 12:59 AM | Report abuse

With about 4:30 left in the 2nd pd, and the Caps trailing 2-1, Johnny Rock Star made the play of the game. Showing surprising speed, #4 quickly closed the gap and thwarted a near breakaway. Going two down late in the period would've been too demoralizing to come back from.

And speaking of important plays: when we got the pp w/about 10 minutes left and Semin negated it w/his own interference penalty 3 seconds later, was that a set play on Semin's part?

Because if it was, I might be able to find something good to say about our inept leader, like at least he's trying to do something about the pp....

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 27, 2011 1:01 AM | Report abuse

BB has a comment for everything. I wonder if opposing teams have bugged his house and listen to The Caps game plan while he sleeps. Or maybe he tells other coaches what he is going to do prior to game in idle chit chat.

Posted by: pkme | February 27, 2011 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Liz: So, what did you serve up tonight from the bar?

My pal Frank Sinatra once said, "I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day long."

tmac: Glad you're still here too. Can I buy you one?

I broke tradition tonight by refusing to rock the white. I thought maybe, just maybe, I needed to turn things around. So we went with lamb chops on the road. And a bottle of Shannon Ridge 2008 Petite Sirah.

Just finished the dregs. It's always a fine ting to sit in front of the computer and eye that empty bottle and empty wine glass, knowing the Caps have won.

Yes, they have warts. To be honest, they have more complexion problems than Lindsay Lohan when the judge doesn't let her have visitation rights from her make-up artist.

One second please...

Oak Grove Chardonnay 2009 $5.99/bottle. Nice quaffer.

I'll share a secret. I'm not convinced Semin has to go. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I keep thinking with a guy like Umberger and a gritty LW, he would do fine. But, really, I think I'd rather trade Semin than Eakin. I know that sounds weird. But I just don't think we'll get fair value for Eakin, being "only a prospect."

As cstanton points out, I just hope McPhee doesn't do so many dumb things in the next 36 hours that the new GM is screwed for years to come.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 1:03 AM | Report abuse

If we got the fate we deserved tonight, that'd be 5 and 7 pts ahead of Buf and Car if Buf were to win their games in hand.

3 yawning nets the Isles missed on.

Like Butterball said, we were very lucky not to be down 5-0 when he called the timeout.

The 1st pd was among our worst of the season after getting a shellacking last night at home by a depleted Rangers team (more than us) while we were well rested.

If the 1st pd is how we respond and come out after that kind of loss, it tells you loads about the character of this team and the attitude in the locker room.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:04 AM | Report abuse

By "leader" I mean BB, not Semin as some might iterpret it.

BB MUST GO! (one)

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 27, 2011 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkme | February 27, 2011 1:01 AM

lol, esp. the second part.

Wouldn't surprise me. They don't call him Gabby for nothin'.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I bet if you put a plate of gravy fries in front of Coach Butterball, he'd spill any information you want out of him.

In American cities, it's just ketchup and fries but it still works.

Remember the ketchup on his mouth in the HBO series?

Just sayin...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Based on poop-slinging I witnessed in the last thread, it looks like the A$$h@t Legion was out in force tonight.

Seems like some folks aren't here to discuss the Caps as much as they are here to push other peoples' buttons. I'm talking to you tmac.

Although you make some valid points, your credibility is squandered when you seem to obsess over the word "soft" and constantly attack not only everything about the Caps, but anyone who dares to disagree with you as well.

If you believe that posting "down with BB" or "Fire GMGM" or "Trade Player X" or some such over and over and over and over again is going to make it happen, then you are indeed delusional. Get over yourself.

Yes it was an ugly game, and maybe the Caps didn't deserve to win. But they did win nonetheless, and it's over now.

Kudos to Tom for trying to make the peace between the Five Families. It was a valiant effort.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 27, 2011 1:13 AM | Report abuse

tom, I started out with Glenfiddich 12-year-old aged in sherry casks, then switched to Cardhu 12-year-old...hence adding to my innate inability to do NHL math. I just know that something's missing from this team and has been all season. I haven't been this discouraged about a Caps team in years. I think veteran example and perspective can only help.

tmac, I agree with you more than you might think. I guess the long and short of it for me is that I don't mind getting beat, but I can't stand losing because of a lack of effort. That's what Ted and his GM and head coach have to address before we can win a Cup.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 27, 2011 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 27, 2011 1:13 AM

You've got that completely backwards. You must be thinking of your girlfriend sgm or something.

Yea, I'm talking to you, you koolaid drankin' McPhee sniffer.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:04 AM

It was Hamlet who said,

(cue Richard Burton voice)

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Burton, of course, followed the delivery of this line by downing a scotch and soda.

Imagine, if you will, that Richard Burton were alive and coaching the Caps.

"To score or not to score, THAT is the question."

Ovi: "We shoot puck, we score goal."

Burts: "Ahh, my young Russian nobleman, if live WERE only that simple."

Ovi: "He-he. We shoot puck, we score goal."

Burts: "But...but, Ovi...may I call you that?"

Ovi: "For sure."

Burts: (waving hands) "Have you ever contemplated the inner workings of the human mind?"

Ovi: (wrinkles face) "You mean with chicks?"

Burts: "Ahh...not exactly."

Ovi: "You want us to do power play?"

Burts: "Yes. Quite. That's it, my Russian prince, let's work on the power play."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 1:19 AM | Report abuse

That was hilarious but you make Ovechkin sound like a total moron and buffoon as opposed to the borderline genius with otherworldly hockey IQ that he is in real life.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Drink recipes AND Shakespearean parody....

Truly, tom, you are a treasure. Thanks.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 27, 2011 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Still about 20 games to go. An extended losing streak could change everything.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 12:59 AM |

------------------

an extended winning streak could change everything.

the caps will be fine. with all the whining about how the regular season doesn't mean squat, you'd think it's the end of the world.

caps will make the playoffs. it's anyones guess what will happen then.

Posted by: hessone | February 27, 2011 1:26 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal - is Eakin that good?? I should be excited.

I definitely do not disagree on the effort thing: somehow it's not there, for the most part.

I definitely do disagree with the Semin bashers - I believe now that, as though it were some kind of wierd voodoo ritual, they want to personify all that is wrong with the Caps by placing it in Semin's body, that way, by removing this body they've solved the problem.

They are wrong. In fact, Semin throughout the year has not even been near one of our worst performers. He's also probably in the top ten in scoring goals in the league even though he's missed beaucoup games.

Dudes, wake up. The problem is not Semin. Don't make him into your voodoo doll. Make that doll DJ King (and this is what is most amazing - a post-concussed guy who can barely put one foot in front of the other is somehow better than a guy who's won something like 6 games for us!)...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 27, 2011 1:29 AM | Report abuse

tom, have you ever been to northern Cali?

I worked as a contractor in the San Jose area for about a year and a half in an area called Sunnyvale.

One of the guys who worked for the company out there was a Sharks fan but I never made it out to a game. We planned to do it a number of times but it never materialized. I did go to a few Warriors games though.

The workplaces out there in the Silicon Valley area are amazing.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:31 AM | Report abuse

an extended winning streak could change everything.

caps will make the playoffs. it's anyones guess what will happen then.

Posted by: hessone | February 27, 2011 1:26 AM

That is true.

You THINK the Caps will make the playoffs though.

Just like Canes fans thought they'd make the playoffs during Boudreau's 1st season with the Caps. Didn't they already print and send out playoff tix or something?

That doesn't sound quite as comforting as the guarantee Knubes made at the beginning of the season, as if it were a foregone conclusion.

I think we'll make it too but had we lost tonight, the margin would've been as little as 7 points over Car and 5 over Buf.

And I'm pretty sure you know what happened last night and early in this game. We aren't exactly firing on all cylinders.

And it's far from a guess as to what will happen if we make the playoffs as far as I'm concerned. There are a few teams in the EC alone that I don't think we stand a chance against.

Forget about the WC. We may not be as good as the 12th place team in that half. Once again, the West is vastly superior to the East. You can't just look at point standings. You'd actually have to watch WC teams play on a regular basis.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Cousin Rhino: Yes, I TRIED to make peace (and, am still TRYING...hint, hint).

"Now, let me just tell you, I'm going to make you an offah you can't refuse."

Rhino: "But..."

"I don't want no buts. I want you to go with tmac."

Rhino: "But, tomfather, sometimes he's just so - "

"I don't wanna fkn hear it. Am I your tomfather or am I not?"

Rhino: "OK, you are."

"Good. Excellent." (pats Rhino on cheek) "Now, look, we got trouble. I mean, we got trouble with them Filthydelphia fans."

Rhino: "Yes, tomfather."

"I want you and tmac to go on the Flyers blog and make fun of them."

tmac: "But that could incite blog war! Besides, us Caps fans are arguing too much ourselves to go fight a blog war!"

"I'm going to say this and only once. Philadelphia FKN Flyers. You hate em or you hate em?"

"I hate em."

"Me, too, tomfather."

"Good. Cuz I hate em too. I hate that ugly mug on Pronger's face with his ski-slope nose as he takes his eight-foot long arms and levels one 'a our guys into the glass!"

"Me too!"

"So I want him to pay, you know, like in the old days."

"You bet, tomfather, you bet!"

"OK. That's what I like to hear. Now...get outta here!"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Shoot, just look at the head-to-head record between the East and West: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=xve#&navid=nav-stn-east

That is freakin' nuts. It's more lopsided than ever.

One... I repeat, one... Western Conf team has a losing record against the East and they are 5-6-1, barely under .500.

Compare that to vice versa: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20102011&type=XVW

And guess who has the worst record against the West of all EC teams?

If you said Butterball's team, you'd be right.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't even aware that we had the worst record against the West among East teams.

.307 points percentage (8 out of 26 possible points)

That's worse than Ottawa.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:47 AM | Report abuse

That's why you can't just look at point standings when comparing teams across conferences.

The Oilers with a mere 48 pts have an 8-5-1 record against the East.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:50 AM | Report abuse

tmac: NoCal. Yes, a number of times.

Napa is like my Mecca and Sonoma my Jerusalem.

May I tell you a story?

We travelled as a family to San Francisco ("Are you goin' to San Francisco, you know, you're gonna meet a lotta double people there...") in May 2008 and we all check in on Lombard I think and the next morning I'm wanting to head out to Muir Woods and Napa and all and my middle daughter says, "I have a surprise. It won't take long."

So we are there with her boyfriend of many years and she guides us up Van Nuys Blvd I think it was and she tells us to pull up in front of City Hall and I get out of the car and she tells us she and the boyfriend are geting married there on the spot - "Surprise, surprise! (Gomer Pyle)" and I look at her and I say, "You know, this is where they filmed 'Dirty Harry.'"

I don't know sometimes if I should be happy or sorry for my kids cuz they have to put up with me.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Yet another small scale example of the greater parity and turnover in this era of the league and why the concept of dynasties is largely a thing of the past.

Didn't we have the best record against the West last season?

Best to worst, eh?

A lot can change in a short time in this era. Risers and fallers will be seen more than ever. Windows close faster than ever.

That's why savvy GMs don't sit on their hands and do everything they can to strike while the iron is hot. They don't act upon plans to be good for a generation in this hard cap era. They'd love to be but they know it isn't practical.

Keep up the great work, McPhee! You're doing great.

First team in NHL history to lose Game 7s at home in 3 straight seasons. Isn't that what it was? I know it was something like that.

And we were one of few to lose to an 8th seed.

The sample size of failure is growing, McPhee sniff sniff sniffers.

More and more our joining the dark side with each passing week.

You think you're a koolaider for a life?

Think again.

I have a seat waiting for you.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Cool story, bro... heh.

I live in Texas now. Never made it out to San Fran though.

Another contractor from another company was from that area though. I actually wanted to catch a Giants game but never did that either.

My parents went to San Fran once while my old man was still alive. My mother's old company was based there. I hear it's a really nice area. I assume double people has something to do with gay stuff since that's the running joke about the area but I hear it's real nice. Really wish I caught a Giants game though. I'd love to see Lincecum pitch live.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 2:00 AM | Report abuse

tmac: The Caps ALWAYS struggle against the West.

I always figured our style and their style didn't mesh.

But, like, this year we got no style...

Now, the thing about when you drink 1 1/2 bottles of wine, it eventually catches up with you.

So you head to the bathroom like Paul Newman as Cool Hand Luke.

"Still shakin' it, boss, still shakin' it!"

Yeah, I was thinking earlier in response to FloridaCapsFans asking about chicks that I'd be giving mrstominsocal1 the "hammer" tomorrow morning.

OTOH, I might have to cut her some slack.

Maybe, just maybe, I will make the morning skate "optional."

He-he.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 2:07 AM | Report abuse

The funniest thing is that I have been a fan as long or longer than probably every single koolaider I've come across on this board.

I think the cynical ones are more likely the real diehard, old school fans.

I'm guessing a ton of the koolaiders didn't even watch much Caps hockey prior to the Ovechkin era.

My father was going to games from the inception of the team. He worked for the Census Bureau and he and his friends went to games regularly and shortly after got season tix. He had season tix for about 25 years before he got sick and couldn't go to games anymore and had to give them up. His seats were right up the middle of center ice about 15 rows up across of the players benches. About as good of seats as there were in the Caps center. You don't want to be too close either cuz of the structure of the ice.

My old man also grew up in Ohio. That side of his family is mostly Indians and Browns and Cavs fans.

You think DC fans have it tough, eh?

There aren't many koolaiders among Clevelands sports fans.

My aunt is in her 60s and you should hear her and her husband talk about their views on sports. They are past frustrated. They're in a longstanding state of acceptance as are a lot of old school fans. They still follow their teams loyally but they expect the worst, naturally.

Koolaiders... lol at 'em. They'll come around. And sooner than later with McFreakinPhee in charge.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 2:09 AM | Report abuse

tmac: The Caps ALWAYS struggle against the West.

I always figured our style and their style didn't mesh.

But, like, this year we got no style...

So you head to the bathroom like Paul Newman as Cool Hand Luke.

"Still shakin' it, boss, still shakin' it!"

OTOH, I might have to cut her some slack.

Maybe, just maybe, I will make the morning skate "optional."

He-he.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 2:07 AM

lol @ everything after the first sentence.

As far as the first sentence, we had the best record against the West of all EC teams last season I believe but I get your general point.

The West is simply the deeper and tougher conference right now.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 2:11 AM | Report abuse

*Caps Centre

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 2:13 AM | Report abuse

It's sort of like the nature of a human being growing up over the course of their life.

As a kid, you are innately a koolaider. The world is perfect. Blissful ignorance or whatever they say.

Time goes on and the realities of the world sink in and you become more and more cynical and practical.

Most old school fans do not maintain the positive attitude that you do, tominsocal. It's just against the very nature of things as a Caps fan.

Either the minority of the old school fans who remained koolaiders all flock to this board or the vast majority of koolaiders don't have nearly as many scars from being a Caps fans as others of us, who I believe are more likely to be dark siders.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I need to be more understanding of koolaiders, if my assumption of where the majority of them are coming from is correct. They are simply kids from that perspective regardless of age. A 50 year old could be a kid in this sense.

I'm just a mean grinch spoiling their blissful ignorance. I never really looked at it that way because I figure most of these folks are adults but when it comes to their history with the Caps, they're still on their honeymoons and they see this nutty dark sider trying to bring them all down.

Maybe I've realized something tonight that I can internalize that will help me better deal with certain folks on this little internet forum.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 27, 2011 2:23 AM | Report abuse

tmac: The "double people" is a line from Led Zeppelin's 26'57" version of "Dazed and Confused."

The original "Are you goin' to San Francisco?" was either Byrds or CSNY I think but can't remember as sometimes even the steel trap has leaks.

San Francisco isn't for everyone, but anyone who has four days to kill in summer and no fkn clue where to go or what to do and no desire to drive while on vacation, you either stay at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhatten or on Lombard St in SF.

And if you were wanting to see MLB, I would definitely do SF over NY as the ballpark in SF way more beautiful setting plus you don't have to fear for your life.

Anyone who wants an easy summer vacation: SF Lombard St @Steiner near waterfornt 415-922-3900 Travelodge (no, not affiliated) like $100/night not fancy but near all kinds of great places Giardelli/Scoma's/etc. Then do Sausilito across the bay & Muir Woods & Napa and Monterey/Santa Cruz to the south. A little further south Big Sur.

I promise you...if you go to these places, when you die you will grab St Peter by the arm and you will thank Him.

Oh. Grand Canyon, too.

Anyone wants to go, I have Grand Canyon reservations 5/12-17 and 10/2-7.

I think also Lake Tahoe in summer. No dates yet, plus trying to schedule Sequoia NP in July.

Anyone wants to visit CA you just call tominsocal1 661-414-2045.

Trust me, God was here first...before the politicians.

But...hehe...I'm here now.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 2:31 AM | Report abuse

tmac: I'm telling you, I am ready to drag you by the arm and pull you down to the river! You have figured it out!

Yes! We are all children!

Some of us refuse to accept it, growing up that is. Even now if anyone starts to say anything about the reality of Santa, I do the thing of covering my face and not listening!

Yes!!! Part of being a Kool-Aider (me, to some extent) is you refuse to give in to the "growing up" thing.

Maybe, you know, some of us had trauma in life with relatives dying or something and that plastic mug was snatched from our grip. Who knows, I don't know, but when you retain that childhood innocence, YES!, you retain that ability and desire to keep life simple and beautiful and positive. It's isn't right or wrong - it just IS.

So...you have your perspective on life. That perspective, whatever it is, is partially formed by a combination of your genetic character and your experiences.

People who have a more generally rosy outlook means they haven't faced the adversity so much! And, you can't blame them - it just is what it is!

Jesus H. Christ but I'm tired tonight. Seems I have beem moderating this dispute for longer than I can remember.

I just want you all to know that I love each and every one of you! Yeah, well, I don't care if it's all negative dripping with goat's blood or if you think McPhee's scarves are the most beautiful on Earth!

FK the Flyers!
FK the Pens!
FK the Rangers and Messier! 1940 again!

That's it from the West Coast. Good night.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 27, 2011 2:52 AM | Report abuse

you mean collective morale

Posted by: rgm34 | February 27, 2011 4:32 AM | Report abuse

tominsocal1, You haven't mentioned Yosemite. It's not too far from LA, and heaven on earth. I especially like it after a heavy snowfall.

About 5 years ago I hiked up to the top of Yosemite falls with one of my sons. It was a great day (coming down is worse than going up BTW), we met Indians hiking the trail in bare feet and a 75 year-old Grandmother who passed us as we were going up saying she was on her second round-trip of the day.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 27, 2011 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Not sure, but this game looks to be the first time Hannan had the most TOI for the Ds.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | February 27, 2011 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Caps had a good night, but tominsocal1 had a better one! Great to see you in top form, tom! "If you're going to San Francisco" was written by John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas and performed by Scott McKenzie.

Godfather and Shakespeare references were hilarious.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 27, 2011 8:02 AM | Report abuse

@dccitizens1

I totally agree - tominsocal1 is great and I always enjoy reading his comments !

... and for me the Dornfelder 2007 worked once again - the rest of the season and the playoffs could be a quite expensive ...

However - got I something wrong or out-coached BB his counterpart? ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 27, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1, Well I'll tell you why I'm glad they got the two points. I want them to make the playoffs. I have no expectation of them doing well so I won't be scarred for life when they get eliminated. In fact, the manner of their elimination and at whose hands may bring about change to the Caps organization quicker than the fans displeasure might.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 27, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow, "Butterball" fat jokes at the coach. Seriously people? Not a Kool-Aid drinker (fan since 78) like or dislike let's reserve judgement til the playoffs. The biggest issue on this team is the GM, but I'm willing to hold back til after the playoffs. Based on his quotes to Voges sounds like he may do nothing. 2 questions GMGM. George you've been building for the future since 2003 when does the future become now?
2. Do you have naked pics of Ted?

Posted by: bricucci | February 27, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is it, the arena is full of kool aid drinkers every night so they've already achieved what they set out to do.

Sure they are always gonna pay a little lip service to winning the Cup but I'll believe it when I see them trade a FIRST round pick to get a REAL player instead of trading a 2nd or a 3rd to get a Corvo or a Bellanger.

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Corvo = championship

Posted by: bricucci | February 27, 2011 9:43 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1: As always, your Sinclair-Monofilament-sharp wit (Please please please tell me that you "get" the reference) makes it worth the angst.

But why should I waste my time at a Flyers blog when I hate the Flyers? I have a team to support right here.

As for tmac, I unfortunately don't think the expression "ball of hate" begins to cover it. Try "Ceres of hate" and you begin to get the idea. I wouldn't go anywhere with him even if it was to board the last spacecraft leaving a doomed planet.

My people have some descriptive words for tmac's type of bile:

One of them rhymes with cuts. Another rhymes with luck.

Constant innuendos and vulgar homophobic insults (and FTR I am a happily married man, married to a woman, with a child) aimed at players, management coaches and anyone who dares disagree and...g-d d--n it, like them or not these are people and they have names. And if I had $1.00 for every time tmac used the word "soft" in his posts, I'd have enough cash to buy the team for a price Ted could not refuse.

If that makes me a Kool-Aid® drinker, well...you know the rest.

Last night's game was ugly, yes. But it was still win--deserved or not--and it still counts.

Yes, I acknowledge that there are problems, and yes, I found myself feeling some of the things the haters were typing, but when I type my thoughts here, it is usually with more restraint and respect for what the Caps organization is trying to accomplish...which--contrary to conspiracy theories--does not include torturing the fan base.

IMO, what we should be debating at this time on this board is not the sexual preferences of anyone, but rather:

1) What significant moves--if any--might still be made before the deadline, and
2) How those changes will be integrated with the rest of the team come Tuesday.

Now I have locked horns with cstanton1 from time to time, but to his credit, he at least starts out civil on any given topic--more facts and fewer adjectives--before descending into poop-slinging.

tmac has no such filters. He starts of with ugliness and it just gets worse from there.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 27, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse