Isles D James Wisniewski suspended for obscene gesture

Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski, whose inappropriate gesture (blurred out in this clip) Monday toward Rangers forward Sean Avery is making the rounds on YouTube, has been suspended two games by the NHL.

Wisniewski, who said he didn't remember the first-period incident, will miss tomorrow night's game against the Caps at Verizon Center, as well as Friday's contest at Pittsburgh.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | October 12, 2010; 6:37 PM ET
Categories:  New York Islanders
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau shuffles lines in Tuesday practice
Next: Semyon Varlamov says he's ready to dress tonight vs. Isles

Comments

Nobody beats the Wiz!

avery deserved it anyway. what type of a politically-correct era have we entered where one player can't simulate oral sex with another player on the ice. Bettman!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 12, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the NHL - one game for a throat slash, two games for an obscene (but very funny) gesture. Where is this in the rulebook?

Posted by: Thisistheyear | October 12, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Nobody beats the Wiz!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 12, 2010 7:04 PM

Avery eats the Wiz?!?!?
at least thats what the wiz says

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 12, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Every last media person and player who had to publicly condemn this act laughed their arses off about it and that it was awesome behind the scenes.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 12, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

*thought it was awesome

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 12, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

In a totally ironic note, the name Wisniewski means "cherry" or from the cherry orchard. I'm not kidding! Russian variation: Visnevsky or Visnevsky. (And there's the Russian player, Ivan Visnevskiy, with that name.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 12, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thisistheyear

I was thinking the exact same thing. Suspend OV for a week for a knee on knee and then give a frown to Mike Richards for an elbow to the head.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 12, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

come on, no elbow from Richards. That was the David Booth hit right? he led and connected with his shoulder.

i gotta say, i really like mike richards and the way he plays the game. Very honest player and honest effort. Hartnell, Carcillo and the rest of em I'd like to see pounded into the ice. Well Richards too I spose if we're playin em. But I sure wish he played for us.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 12, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Suspension for an obscene gesture towards Avery? Is there a collection to help him pay any fine, or perhaps to buy him a medal?

Posted by: bluejeener1 | October 12, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I like fighting in the NHL. I can understand how it came to be. I cannot understand why it is OK to drop the gloves and have a fist fight but you get a 2 game suspension for flipping the bird.

I also don't understand why in NA we work so hard to censor profanity or gestures. How is a little blur job or a "BEEEP" useful in any way? I would wager a large sum that 9/10 North Americans above the age of 5 can pick out which bad word or gesture was being censored. If somebody says or does something, and the audience understands what they said or did, then what purpose does censoring have other than to make the telecast look childish.

Posted by: trunkenmath | October 12, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

they should've just fined him. I agree.

They have to punish it only because otherwise it'll be open season on obscene gestures. But a suspension is overkill.

I make those same gestures at least 5x a day when I read some comments on this blog.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 12, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree, suspending a player in this instance is absurd. Fine him if you must. But suspending affects the game itself and we are talking about a non-hockey related incident. And it would be one thing if it were a racial gesture or whatever, but let's face it he's calling Avery a c@ck$uc#er which after all is what he is. So a person is being fined and suspended for speaking the truth. This is like when I got arrested for drinking in public and told the cop, "You might as well charge me with being an American."

That weasly cop didn't like me one bit I can tell you that. Judge got the last word on him though.

Anyway, for God's sake, just make him pay $10,000 into the hockey fights cancer foundation.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 12, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@SA Town, from previous thread regarding your comment on Gillies. Have you seen him play much, or heard any interviews with him? I'm not trying tp pick on your post, but it bothers me when folks automatically label a guy like him a him a worthless goon.

I don't know Gillie's resume inside and out, but I think he spent a lot of time in the minors just to get a shot in the NHL. When I read your post it sounded like BB talking (the Koci incident). Guys like Gillies and King and all the rest of the 'goons, have the toughest job in sports, and very few ever make it into the higher tax brackets.

Again, not picking on your post, just curious.

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 12, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Best of all is Wisniewski saying he "didn't remember" making the gesture.

Sounds like a good way to construct an argument that explains your behavior.

"No, dear, I simply don't remember being with that woman." Or, more simply, "What woman?"

"No, sir, I absolutely don't recall not paying my taxes on that item."

"No, ahh, I don't remembah, ahh, trying to cross that bridge, ahh, or if I crashed or if anyone else were in the cah, ahh."

"I have no recollection of whether or not I actually had a recollection" (of what the definition of is, is).

And then there's Clarence Thomas, who has no recollection of a can of Coke.

Or Eric Clapton, who can't recall a line of coke.

And Dennis Eckersley, who claims he's never heard of Bill Buckner.

Or Nancy Reagan, who can't remember what's-his-name.

Good luck.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 12, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Man, does that Kings team look stacked and well-balanced.

It's early but just on paper, I like that team to come out of the West over Van, Det, etc...

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 12, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight NHL. This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lshS0ZUts is as bad as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_twXZeZUr0 ? Both got two games. One hurts no one gave a concussion. This league really needs to learn some sort of consistency in their calls or they will continue to look like a joke.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 12, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the RAAAAAAAngers, I can't wait until we get to see The Boog and DJK on the ice for the first time since DJK busted Boog's nose. It makes the whole Avery dynamic that much more spiffy. The fact that Chimera had to get his butt kicked because BB is too clueless to dress King is depressing. When a guy like Lablond is on the other bench, you need your hammer at the ready. Carlson could have gotten hurt there. Lablond is a beast (and an idiot). I guess BB doesn't watch the fight of the year videos each year. No way I go into that game with that guy on the bench with out my top dog: DJK

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | October 13, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 12, 2010 10:24 PM

They're not gestures anymore when they're real. OHHHHH! BURN!

On a more hockey related note, I'm looking forward to DJ King's first chance in the lineup tomorrow. Hopefully he's more than that boxer on skates we had a few years back.

Posted by: Raber | October 13, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Hunterforcoach: Hey coach, Chimera didn't scrap with Leblond, he scrapped with Clarkson. So your new point on how BB makes bad decisions, is, well pointless.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 13, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I miss the 5:30AM morning roundups

Posted by: Bagher | October 13, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I miss the 5:30AM morning roundups

Posted by: Bagher

So do. If we're lucky their up by 0930 now.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 13, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 - Your best post yet. I completely agree. Bettman has got to go.

Posted by: jwash4472 | October 13, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Maybe everyone at the game tonight could have a sign that says "Avery Blows"???
Or maybe
"Support or Free Wisniewski"???

Posted by: Iceman10 | October 13, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Eric Fehr will break 30 this year, make book on that. Single most exciting and improved player on the Caps. Will be an awesome Knuble replacement next year.

Whats up with Backstrom? Worst part is that he is looking a lot like Johnasson vs. the other way round.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | October 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Late to this party. But, man was that funny. Nice team photo, Sean. Can't be bothered to take your sunglasses off?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 13, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse