Posted at 11:47 AM ET, 02/26/2011

Jay Beagle recalled, Semyon Varlamov to start against Islanders

By Katie Carrera

The Capitals have recalled forward Jay Beagle, who will be available for tonight's game against the Islanders and will likely appear in the contest. It sounds like Mathieu Perreault, who has struggled lately, will be who sits tonight with Beagle in the mix.

--Coach Bruce Boudreau didn't elaborate on Mike Green's health but did say that the defenseman has returned home to Calgary following the death of his grandmother.

--Semyon Varlamov will get the start in goal for Washington against the Islanders.

More to come.

By Katie Carrera  | February 26, 2011; 11:47 AM ET
Categories:  Jay Beagle, New York Islanders
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Home losing streak stretches to three in a row
Next: Capitals claim Marco Sturm off waivers

Comments

Posted by: Tondi | February 26, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

First??

"I believe that there has been a divided locker room for several months and some of the earlier posts may have highlighted or reinforced my opinion."
----------------SoMDHockeyCoach-----------

I truly believe we have a fractured at best, divided at worst, locker room because that's what favoritism and a caste system will breed. Weeks ago, Knuble responded to a question via phone on "NHL on the Fly" pertaining to Laich praising the coach. I wasn't sure what to make of Knuble's comment other than it hinted that all wasn't kosher between coach and team.

Now, I think the locker room is divided between those who support BB (Laich being the spokesperson for the chosen ones) and those who don't (most likely the older vets, like Knuble/Erskine/Bradley, who've been around the league awhile).

And to the poster who suggested putting DJK on the power play, God bless ya!! I think it was tominsocal who once pointed out BB uses the pp to allow his chosen ones to pad their stats instead of spreading the icetime around to those whose play merits some kine of reward.

If DJK isn't in the lineup tonight I vow to post 3 times daily that he should be fired immediately, and I'll do so until BB is finally gone....

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 26, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

i would assume that green flying out for family is a good sign on his health. if things were bad not sure he would be flying out of town.

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Caps claim Sturm

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 26, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

we claimed sturm of the waivers

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

So we just picked up a winger, I wonder if that is a sign we are trading one at the deadline?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 26, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97:

Do you have some more information ?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

So, we now claim a winger on waivers and bring another one up from the minors, so what wingers will sit tonight? And who will be the 3C if Matty P sits? Boyd Gordon, who did not have a good game last night? Okay, we can't blame the whole loss on BG but just saying...

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@FCK, no just thinking.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 26, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

sturm also has a $3.5 cap hit

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

And now I hear DJ King has been placed on waivers.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

We also put DJ King on waivers.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

King put on waivers.

Posted by: McKinley2 | February 26, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Sturm is a decent pick up.. 22 goals last year, 4 goals 5 assist in 17 games this season, not to bad, we pick him up at half of his Cap hit... I like the move.. Sign of a trade, has to be other wise we are right up against the Caps..Arnott to the caps, will be next!

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

so maybe the coaches held back meeting last night had something to do with letting them know these things were coming

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 26, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Beagle at least looks like he is putting 100 percent when he is on the ice.. I wonder if we can swap the whole Bears line up for one night and send the whole Caps team to The Bear. Those Bears would be thrilled to play in The NHL. I bet you would see better effort than the Caps than last night. I would be scared for The Caps playing in The AHL. They would probably lose and get hurt. No luxuries and no spot light. OVI especially would probably start crying in his locker.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

how many years left on sturm's contract?

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 26, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

does this mean chimera or laich are being traded

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@ebolean

Last year of Sturm's contract. It was a $3.5M cap hit so we owe him about 850K or something like that.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@samb99
I am not sure Caps would get many takers on Chimera, Laich on the other hand would be a big pick up for a team that is young looking for some leadership...

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

We are moving somebody. I do not think the Caps would trade Laich. However he has had a mediocre year. At times simply bad.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@pkme

There are plenty of times I feel ready to swap the Caps for the Bears since the Bears would at least try. Disagree on how the Caps would fare in the AHL. They would probably win most of the time but would get a lot of their skilled players hurt. I don't think Ovi would be crying in his locker there.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@ pkme

Laich is a UFA after this season, so I would say he is for sure possible trade bait.Making just over 2mil this season I am sure he will expect a raise, but having a down year in a contract year is never good... I like the dude, but this has been a down year for him, but hell the entire team is on a down year.

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan

I am joking a little bit. What do The Bears have that the Caps have never had? Oh yes a championship. BB will take credit for that as well. Only when the team plays badly will he deflect and blame others. Have you ever heard BB take blame for any of The Caps failures. Guys like Babcock will take the blame at times. He once said this year after playing The Preds that the loss was his fault and that he got outcoached.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Caps could get Dave Backes from the Blues, would love to pick him up UFA after season blues might not be able to keep him....I wouldnt mind seeing Boyes as well but he has another 4 mill due to him next season..

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@CapsBaby

Except that Backes has signed an extension through 2015-2016 so we can't sign him as a UFA.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

To compare BB to Babcock is an insult to Babcock. BB could not outcoach Babcock's toe. Who would you rather work for?

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

BB should have been shown the door last spring. He got outsmarted and outcoached. I know someone here will say Coach Dan got outcoached too. Gee what is the difference between the two? Does anyone here think if we had a real coach we would be playing well or at least better.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I would like Hemsky.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

UNLEASH THE SNOOPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: phknlwyr | February 26, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Odd that Green is in Calgary when it's 3:00 pm on 2/26 and Green is sitting right across from me at the Roslynn Chop't restaurant.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | February 26, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse