Next Season's Cap: $56.8 Million

It's official: As reported by TSN.ca earlier today, next season's salary cap will be $56.8 million, up $100,000 from last season's upper limit.

From the NHL and NHLPA:

The National Hockey League Players' Association and the National Hockey League announced today that the Team Payroll Range established for the 2009-10 League Year, pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, provides for a Lower Limit of $40.8 million, an Adjusted Midpoint of $48.8 million and an Upper Limit of $56.8 million.

Here's TSN's story from earlier in the day.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 26, 2009; 3:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Four Hours and Counting
Next: Ovechkin Nominated for Two ESPYs

Comments

Posted by: CapsFan44 | June 26, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

awe4some. well that is good news for next year. im so excited to see what moves we make this off season, and by moves I mean call-ups! seriously we have gems in hershey and there are plenty of them. I still call for a Bourque, Beagle, Brads line!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | June 26, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I wish Bourque was a foot taller, man. He'd be a force.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 26, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@thiazzi,

he's not contradicting himself. Last year's draft depth much better than this years and the year Alzner was drafted. That is his point. Carlson is the better of the two, eventhough i know most of you love Alzner. If we can get Pronger using him as bait its worth it in my opinion.

They need a 2nd line Center as well so Nylander could be thrown in there. Salaries than match, they get two players they need and we get what we need

Posted by: ThePat | June 26, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

What's the downside of the players voting to apply the five percent inflator? Are there any ramifications down the road for this?

Posted by: larryn703 | June 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of few who hasn't been really impressed by Alzner yet. I'd just rather have him being steady if unamazing for 15 years over Pronger doing his pronging for 2.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 26, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@larryn703
Well, it's highly likely the players won't get their escrow payments back. IIRC the cap inflator doesn't apply to the "Player's Share" percentage.

Posted by: koalatek | June 26, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

How much do we save in cap $ with the departures of Kozloz, Federov and Brashear???

Posted by: dsphvywght | June 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

about $5.2 million because Kozlov's salary is wiped out bc Pothier is back.

Posted by: ThePat | June 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

We save nothing with the departure of Kozlov because Pothier won't be on LTIR. Clark is back too, Erskine's extension kicks in and a few people have raises, which pretty much takes away the Brashear savings. Right now nhlnumbers is showing 14 players signed with a cap hit near $46 million. The $46 million doesn't seem to include Varly or Neuvy or some other Bears like Laing, Aucoin or even Alzner. Assume Fehr, Gordon, Schultz and Jurcina are re-signed for minimal raises. That probably takes the Caps to two open spots (assuming no Bears other than Alzner come up) and 4-6 million to play with.

Posted by: koalatek | June 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Semin and Alzner for Hedman.

I'm impulsive, though.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has been posted. I haven't read any of the comments.

Caps predicted to be 2009-2010 SC Champs

www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/your_2009_10_sc_champs_the_washington_capitals/

It's from NBC, so take it for what it's worth. (And start your campaign now for NBC to allow away games to be shown on a big screen at VC.)

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Edit to above:
Here is the full story, and a shorter link. :)

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Semin and Alzner for Hedman.
I'm impulsive, though.

I am glad you are not GM. Trade a 30 plus goal scorer and a top 5 pick for the number 2 pick. A top pick that has yet to even play one game in the NHL. All the scouts and GM have said that their are three very good players but not game changers...

Posted by: samb99 | June 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I know, I know.. I just read a few articles about him and I got excited. He's a Swede too, which earns him points with me.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 26, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I believe Yzerman predicted a Caps-Red Wings SC this year. He was half right. I'm still a bit unsettled by game 7 this year.

I'd love to see Hedman in a Caps jersey as well.

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | June 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

again...Alz was a top 5 pick in a weak draft. He wouldn't have even been one of the first half-dozen defensemen picked in last year's draft. Frankly, there were probably 10 defensemen better than Alzner who were selected just last year, the only player he'd be clearly better than was Erik Karlsson

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Assuming Alzner will make the team next year, this is the group of D-men I'd like to see playing for the Caps next year.

1. Green
2. Poti
3. Komisarek (assuming he likes winning more than the big money his hometown Isles will reportely throw at him)
4. Jurcina
5. Schultz
6. Alzner
7. Pothier or Erskine (take your pick)

Posted by: joek443 | June 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Schultz can go too.

Jurcina and Erskine proved this year they can be counted upon in tight playoff series. Poti was awful. Green was awful (hopefully blame that on his injury). Pothier was decent to start with and then tailed off, I think his lack of conditioning caught up to him, he looked gassed.

And I don't like Alzner getting penciled into the lineup automatically. He hasn't earned it yet, he barely earned his spot in the Hershey lineup. He wasn't one of their better defensemen this year in the playoffs, and when he came back into the lineup he certainly made some mistakes. On almost every highlight reel for each game you'll see Alzner flopping around like a fish while the action is occuring on top of him. Let him season for one more year at the AHL.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Erskine gets the most out of his ability and he's tough. But he is a limited player and whether you like it or not, Green and Poti are their best two defensemen right now.

If they don't think Alzner is ready, then they should go after someone like Komisarek. I prefer him to Scuderi because he's 3 years younger and has more size. According to experts on espn.com, he's the second best FA d-man available this year and he'll cost less than Bouwmeester.

Posted by: joek443 | June 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse